7.3

1. PaulD.
    Oct 10, 2004
    Costumes & makeup are great, but unfortunately that's it. An unappealing and tedious look at unappealing & banal characters.
  2. Rick
    Nov 21, 2005
    Sucks BIG time! Boring.... very very boring. Just a load of trash.
  3. EthanP.
    Dec 5, 2004
    Legendary premise without epic moves. Culkin gave the single worst performance I have ever seen. He might be gay in real life--who knows--but he can't play a club kid on-screen (unless this is what Michael was really like, which I doubt). Worse than junior-high acting. Seth Green wasn't much better (what's up with that? He should be good). Clever ideas for parties, but Legendary premise without epic moves. Culkin gave the single worst performance I have ever seen. He might be gay in real life--who knows--but he can't play a club kid on-screen (unless this is what Michael was really like, which I doubt). Worse than junior-high acting. Seth Green wasn't much better (what's up with that? He should be good). Clever ideas for parties, but lacking in the "fabulous" emotions they must have stirred in real life. Great costumes, but none of the art direction felt like the early 80s. A fair screenplay without any new ideas. This is Velvet Goldmine without a master's touch. There were only a few moments at which I felt I was watching the work of competent artists. A potentially great story told with minimal creativity. Expand
  4. Hades
    Sep 13, 2003
    Interesting to a certain extent but not something I'd especially want to see again in awhile. Some interesting sets/costumes/performances but nothing too extraordinary, Seth Green steals the show from Culkin and livens up the scenes he's in. The performance in their costumes and the talk show parts are pretty interesting the club goings though didn't strike me as too great. Interesting to a certain extent but not something I'd especially want to see again in awhile. Some interesting sets/costumes/performances but nothing too extraordinary, Seth Green steals the show from Culkin and livens up the scenes he's in. The performance in their costumes and the talk show parts are pretty interesting the club goings though didn't strike me as too great. There's some interesting character development but overall I didn't find the film to be that much of an enjoyable experience;. It has its parts, sure, but as a whole I found it somewhat lacking. I'd see it if youre very interested otherwise i'd pass. Expand
  5. JaredB.
    Feb 24, 2004
    This movie is great! Along the lines of Velvet Goldmine! Macaulay, Seth, and Wilmer did amazing jobs with their characters! If you aren't interested in this movie before you see it, you may not like it, but give it a chance! It is one of the best movies made in quite some time! Do some research on the real life club kids, it makes the movie that much more interesting!! Great Movie solid 9!!
  6. SeanS.
    Sep 26, 2004
    They are able to perform their roles in a sufficient and believeable manner. It gave me some good laughs, and I enjoyed the movie.
  7. PaulScottodiP.
    Oct 13, 2003
    The movie is OK. It's not that great for a person who never partied, or never was into the "so called: Club Scene." It is pretty different from the book written on K by James Saint James: "Disco Bloodbath." The locations are different, the people are less interesting, and the ways of pervetion are also quite different. However, this film recreates pretty well the atmosphere of the The movie is OK. It's not that great for a person who never partied, or never was into the "so called: Club Scene." It is pretty different from the book written on K by James Saint James: "Disco Bloodbath." The locations are different, the people are less interesting, and the ways of pervetion are also quite different. However, this film recreates pretty well the atmosphere of the NYC that a lot of people are missing (I am not!). I give it an 8/10 just because the performances by Culkin and Green were pretty good, I though! I mean, come on, playing Gay crackheads isn't that easy to do for 2 young straight guys! Green was brilliant! Expand
  8. GregT.
    Mar 9, 2004
    Macaulay Culkin and Seth Green both did very good acting jobs playing these confused, drugged up party boys. Culkin must have been only around 22 years old when he did this movie. He has a lot of potential in the future. Worth renting if you want to see the 1980's New York Metrosexual party scene.
  9. JamesF.
    May 21, 2004
    One of the 5 worst movies I've ever seen. The only thing worth seeing is the fabulous costumes. The acting is utterly pathetic, especially Culkin. See the documentary that this movie is based on instead, it is the exact opposite of this film.
  10. SenicaG.
    Sep 26, 2004
    The portrayal of each character in this film was absolutely spectacular. The simplest display of mannerisms added depth to each actor?s performance greatly. Habits such as Macaulay's infectious laugh as Michael Alig, Marilyn's dangling ciggy as a personality trait for his character of Kristina, and Seth Green's slight hand gesture of gently sliding his bangs to the side The portrayal of each character in this film was absolutely spectacular. The simplest display of mannerisms added depth to each actor?s performance greatly. Habits such as Macaulay's infectious laugh as Michael Alig, Marilyn's dangling ciggy as a personality trait for his character of Kristina, and Seth Green's slight hand gesture of gently sliding his bangs to the side each time he takes a hit. It all came together to create a powerful film. The way it was filmed gave an eighties atmosphere, and because of this and much more it pushed the film to an even higher level of authenticity. I do, however, understand and recognize that if you are not familiar with any aspect of that world it could mean nothing to you. Be that as it may ... I loved it, and I find it to be one of my favorite films today. Expand
  11. ErinS.
    Sep 26, 2004
    I like the way Seth Green dances.
  12. annab.
    Mar 31, 2005
    Sick movie. wow.
  13. JenyL.
    Sep 18, 2006
    I just loved this movie! It had the perfect cast.. the only word I can think of to say is that it was FABULOUS!!!
  14. EricaG.
    Feb 22, 2004
    Good stuff!
  15. FrancescaA.
    Mar 11, 2004
    I thought it was amazing, the music and costumes were out of this world. It was nice to see Macauly Culkin play a different character.
  16. BluLight
    Mar 12, 2004
    The movie doesn't go to as much detail as the book but if you like to read the book that goes to this movie is called DISCO BLOODBATH it is a bad ass book ENJOY.
  17. BrandonT.
    Apr 12, 2006
    This is my favorite movie of all time, for those of you who like it, you can see that they also ranked it out of 10! This movie inspired me to read the novel disco bloodbath by james st. james which is even more impressive. All the actors successfully captured the real emotions of each person. After becoming somewhat of a party monster junkie I have done alot of research, found many This is my favorite movie of all time, for those of you who like it, you can see that they also ranked it out of 10! This movie inspired me to read the novel disco bloodbath by james st. james which is even more impressive. All the actors successfully captured the real emotions of each person. After becoming somewhat of a party monster junkie I have done alot of research, found many videos and photos of the actual club kids and the movie does an excellent job at properly portraying them. But what makes this movie not only a work of media art but also a plain old good movie is that it is a true story. For anyone that sais it is a bad movie, you must have a very simple mind and life, because these guys are living in what was and still is a reality. Awesome movie! Expand
  18. Feb 7, 2011
    Absolutely a PERFECT rendition of Disco Bloodbath by James St. James. Anyone who has the pleasure of reading his novel would agree...and he (James St. James) even made an appearance with some of the other club kids!! (need to look hard though)
  19. Mar 18, 2013
    This was just a horrible movie in every way you can imagine. The set pieces, the acting, the script, just everything about it. I watched it with my girlfriend and we tend to finish a movie we start even if its bad and every so often we would look at the clock to see how much longer there was and it would seem like it should be half over but it had only been 15 minutes.

The acting was

The acting was god awful. I'm sure a lot of people would say it's supposed to be bad to emulate the vacuous and empty club kid lifestyle of the characters and supposed to be cheesy. But no, it was just bad. I've been around enough people who do hardcore drugs to know what they are like and drugs were a big part of the story but they played it so horribly bad it was embarrassing. The rest was just awful middle school drama club quality of acting where everything is so over the top it's painful to watch. The kind of acting where you can't tell if they aren't taking serious and goofing around by being so over the top, or if they truly honestly think they are these great actors really digging deep into their roles and impressed with what awesome actors they are when in reality public access shows have better actors.

I understand low budgets and I appreciate the fact but this went beyond low budget, they simply didn't care. You can't take a unfinished wet basement in some rundown apartment building, turn off the lights, put in a mirror ball, put some streamers up and have 5 people jumping around in costumes that looked like they were made by 12 year olds and expect me to suspend my disbelief enough to imagine that this is supposed to be the hottest and hippest club in New York. Or that the biggest club planner in the city has like 10 people in the back of a tractor trailer in some abandoned parking lot.

This movie feels like it was specifically designed to be some cult hit. As if the people behind it were checking off a list of what they think a cult hit movie is and did everything in their power to hit that target. They don't realize you cant make a cult film on purpose. But this felt like it was just trying to force itself and fake being a cult movie. Even the casting felt like it with a bunch of notable indie actors like Chloƫ Sevigny, Natasha Lyonne, right down to Marilyn manson. And then you have to throw in some has been actors like John Stamos so people can say "Om my god its john stamos!" Casting people that convey a character and be believable is important, but when you do it just for the sake of having a certain person to attract a certain audience is just laughable and never ends well.

Worse yet I felt like I didn't discover anything, gain any insight or have any real moral so to speak. It was just a bunch of people taking drugs, staging mock rave parties, killing someone and then it ends. And to add insult to injury the pacing was just pure crap. Die hard was a better constructed film than this and that is just about a cop who gets trapped in a building and shoots people.

This movie is purely bad film making, bad acting, bad scripting, bad sound, bad design and we are all dumber for having watched it. I like a bad movie that has some sense of substance or a purpose, but this movie has neither. It is a virtual turd pinched off in some cheap attempt at gaining notoriety with the indie kids.

1. As stagy and awkward as some of the Warhol/Morrissey films of the early '70s.
  2. Reviewed by: D.W. Smith
    Overall, I have to recommend the film for its alternate take on the whole "Leaving Las Vegas," "Basketball Diaries," "Less Than Zero" drug-induced tragedy genre.
    There's really only one reason to see Party Monster, and that's Seth Green's scene-stealing performance as former (and somewhat reluctant) New York club kid James St. James, the boy who would be queen.