Paul Blart: Mall Cop

4.9

1. Nov 16, 2013
    Mall Cop arrests you with poor jokes.
    The premise of the film is okay at best, and the comedy isn't there as Happy Madison once again struggles to piece a movie together. The plot is fine until a ridiculous ending, and the overall product is something poor that could have been alright.
  2. Aug 26, 2011
    This is the epitome of lazy comedy. We have one joke, Paul is fat. Let's try to stretch that for a full movie. It didn't work. Believe me, it didn't work.
  3. Apr 17, 2011
    I thought this was funny the first time i saw it. The second time it couldn't make me laugh. Most comedies can do that (ex- The Hangover, Zombieland, Ghostbusters). Overall it was a decent movie.
  4. Nov 10, 2010
    I was kinda let down with this one. I was really expecting more from an Adam Sandler film starring Kevin James. I may've laughed a time or two but thought it could've been much better.
  5. Jun 12, 2011
    Ugh, the funny parts in here are very boring,tho, is not mature at all, maybe kids will like this. To bad,, almost everything failed to make me laugh at loud.
  6. LindaN
    May 20, 2009
    A lot better than you'd think. I laughed out loud at least 10 times. Kevin James is pretty freaking awesome on that Segway.
  7. NikeshP.
    Jul 7, 2009
    The first half of the film is so boring and uninteresting that it is not worth watching to get to the decent second half.
  8. DavidH
    Jan 19, 2009
    Yes it is goofy and very typical for Kevin James. I Like James enough that I still enjoyed going and I was able to take my teenage daughter. Not extremely memorable, but somewhat refreshing to see something that isn't full of shock-value crudeness.
  9. MarkB.
    Jan 23, 2009
    Has there been an unusually large amount of full moons lately? Believe it or not, 3 (count 'em, 3) comedies released by Adam Sandler's Happy Madison Productions in the past year have turned out to be, well, not totally terrible! Last summer's You Don't Mess With the Zohan wasn't hugely amusing or accomplished, but at least by Sandler standards it lacked most of Has there been an unusually large amount of full moons lately? Believe it or not, 3 (count 'em, 3) comedies released by Adam Sandler's Happy Madison Productions in the past year have turned out to be, well, not totally terrible! Last summer's You Don't Mess With the Zohan wasn't hugely amusing or accomplished, but at least by Sandler standards it lacked most of the mean-spiritedness and cruel edge that most of his starring vehicles (The Longest Yard, Click) possess in abundance, while the Labor Day hit The House Bunny, though typically dumb and lowbrow, showcased a sparkling, endearing comic performance by Anna Faris. Paul Blart: Mall Cop is the best of the bunch, which, mind you, doesn't make it all THAT good. The idea of spoofing Die Hard has genuine potential, and there are some nice ideas sprinkled throughout (particularly the inclusion of a Paul Gleason-ish law enforcement dumbass) but the writing and direction feature more holes than Dunkin Donut's entire 2008 output. If a group of master criminals wants to rob a mall, why do so on Black Friday rather than a somewhat less busy but still profitable sales day, the better to cut down on possible glitches and x-factors? And wouldn't a mall that large employs some REAL cops as well as mall cops on the biggest projected sales day of the year? And how truly easy is it to clear a 200-store-plus shopping center of patrons in such a short time without causing massive mob hysteria, panic, accidents and injuries? (For that matter, how likely is it that a mall that huge wouldn't include a multiplex cinema--the emptying of which would cause a whole different set of logistical problems...and comic possibilities?) Paul Blart: Mall Cop nevertheless works to the degree that it does partially because of...Paul Blart himself, played by KIng of Queens' Kevin James, who was tremendously likable in Will Smith's Hitch and ably carried the grieving-widower heavy baggage in Sandler's I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry; here he's an underdog overachiever who generates notable rooting interest as he pursues both the bad guys and his dream girl Amy, the curator of a hair-extension kiosk in the mall. Speaking of which, Jayma Mays as the object of Paul's affections is even better: an actress who's just as skilled at playing truly nice people as Amy Adams is--no small compliment!--Mays stole Wes Craven's Red Eye a few years ago as a sweetly beleaguered hotel clerk, and here generates tremendous kindness, warmth and concern for Blart; when he gets sloppy drunk and makes a fool of himself, Mays exudes just as much embarrassment for him as she does discomfort at being in his presence. Director Steve Carr's smartest decision is to cut to as many Amy reaction shots as humanly possible; kudos also to the wonderfully straightfaced music score, which is in the fine tradition of Elmer Bernstein's work on Animal House, Trading Places and Airplane! All in all, the relative nonsuckitude of Happy Madison's latest effort is as pleasingly unlikely as...say, an African-American being elected President, a plane making a safe landing in the Hudson River or the Arizona Cardinals making it to the Super Bowl, so isn't it reassuring to know that ANYTHING is possible? Expand
  10. NickG
    May 2, 2009
    Took a little while to get my attention, but the last half of the movie was pretty funny.
  11. SuleimanM.
    Jun 14, 2009
    Blart is a decent attempt at a comedy starring James, however, while the movie does offer you a couple of cheap laughs, the end product ultimately falls flat.
  12. JoeJ
    Jan 19, 2009
    This is a classic "unlikely hero" tale, fitting into that tiny niche of the underdog archetype of storytelling. If you enjoy such stories, this movie is definitely worth a few bucks.
  13. ChadS
    Jan 22, 2009
    From "The Remains of the Day", novelist Kazuo Ishiguro writes, "The great butlers are great by virtue of their ability to inhabit their professional role and inhabit it to the utmost..." Before "Paul Blart: Mall Cop" settles for being a "Die Hard" spoof, this "Mystery Men"-like take on action films has a tragi-comic approach to menial labor that bears some commonality with the 1989 Man From "The Remains of the Day", novelist Kazuo Ishiguro writes, "The great butlers are great by virtue of their ability to inhabit their professional role and inhabit it to the utmost..." Before "Paul Blart: Mall Cop" settles for being a "Die Hard" spoof, this "Mystery Men"-like take on action films has a tragi-comic approach to menial labor that bears some commonality with the 1989 Man Booker Prize-winning novel. Unlike Stevens, Paul Blart(Kevin James) certainly has more ambition than the butler(Paul wants to be a cop), but when his hypoglycemia puts a crimp in his plans, he retreats into a world of his own making. Whereas Stevens elevated the commonplace act of polishing silver and other quotidian chores into an art form, the security guard takes undue pride in helping shoppers with their bags and giving them directions. Veck(Keir O'Donnell), a trainee subjected to Paul's tutelage, a stand-in for the audience, sees what we see as he receives the security guard's "pearls of wisdom", that this unskilled laborer has an overblown idea of his own importance. To Amy(Jayma Mays), the love interest, Paul talks about the controversy brewing among people in his line of work, as if such occupational minutia was a universal concern. Such an insular worldview is strikingly similar to the butler who believes that everybody shares his appreciation of Mursden, home of Giffen and Co., makers of the best silver polish on the market. But alas, before "Paul Blart: Mall Cop" turns into a downer(shades of James Mangold's "Heavy"), the "officer"(the politically correct term for security guard) gets to save the day, in banal fashion. Expand
  14. JayH
    May 12, 2009
    A bit too silly and not enough good laughs to really work well, but Kevin James does at least try, he was just lacking enough good material. Good score.
  15. Dec 26, 2010
    I went into this movie with low expectations , and yet I still came put disappointed. With a story line that hardly keeps you interested, the same jokes over and over, and characters you don't care the least bit about, mall cop isn't even a fun stupid move. It will bore you.
  16. Jun 28, 2013
    It's a likeable movie, but nothing truly special. It has a couple funny moments, like when Paul gets drunk, but a lot of the humor falls pretty flat. There's too many fat jokes, which don't offend me because I'm skinny, but aren't very funny anyways. However it was kind of fun seeing Kevin James take out the bad guys, and the happy, although predictable, ending was a plus. There's justIt's a likeable movie, but nothing truly special. It has a couple funny moments, like when Paul gets drunk, but a lot of the humor falls pretty flat. There's too many fat jokes, which don't offend me because I'm skinny, but aren't very funny anyways. However it was kind of fun seeing Kevin James take out the bad guys, and the happy, although predictable, ending was a plus. There's just too much humor which falls really flat. There's no joke that will stay with you after the movie is over, and in a comedy that's not a good thing. Expand
  17. Mar 9, 2014
    Paul Blart: Mall Cop is surprisingly funny in its PG humor ways, but might've been better with a higher rating. A movie like this could've been more vulgar and more intense than the actual film.
  18. Mar 12, 2014
    I found "Paul Blart Mall Cop" to be a pretty funny film. It's has pretty much all aspects of a film put into it, but just not executed well enough for it to be all that great
  19. May 17, 2015
    Paul Blart is a pretty funny movie with some flat jokes. Kids will probably enjoy this but adults should probably watch movies like The Heat or Grand Budapest Hotel instead.

1. Reviewed by: Adam Markovitz
    Has a few surprises in store. The biggest is James, an unexpectedly nimble master of the face-plant, the failed jump, and the lopsided tumble.
    It's as slam-bang preposterous as any R-rated comedy you can name. It's just that Paul Blart and the film's other characters don't feel the need to use the f-word as the building block of every sentence.
  3. Reviewed by: Luke Y. Thompson
    Done as an all-out battle to the death, this could have been an entertaining mix of "Die Hard" and "The A-Team."