5.2

1. Aug 7, 2013
    Freudenthal’s Sea of Monsters is a step down for the Percy Jackson franchise in nearly every single way imaginable. The scale is smaller, the characters are less interesting, and the film makes poor use of its rich book and Greek mythology source materials. Young movie (and book series) fans will likely find enjoyment in watching their favorite heroes and actors back on the big screen for another Percy Jackson adventure but the movie provides next to nothing for anyone outside of that core demographic. As mentioned, the film spends a significant amount of time planting seeds for the next entry in the series, but it’s hard to imagine that many moviegoers will be as anxious for part three, The Titan’s Curse, after sitting through this Sea of Monsters. Expand
  2. Aug 8, 2013
    The thing with this one is that it missed a lot key points. Tyson doesn't appear like that. Why isn't Clarrise fat. Where the golden fleece is at, there in not part of the book was there an amusement park on the island. Where are the man eating goats. Where is the hamster woman. Chiron looks old while it only takes place one year later. Percy in the book is 13 while in the movie he is 16. I am very disappointed in the movie. I somewhat enjoyed it though. Expand
  3. Aug 30, 2013
    I fell asleep halfway through. The mix of modern and ancient settings just don't cut it. Its ridiculous to see high-tech machinery in an ancient setting. The boss is too weak! No excitement at all. First Persey Jackson was way better.
  4. Aug 20, 2013
    Very much one for kids and hardly any sea monsters as lead to believe. If you have children then its ok, if your really looking for excitement for an adult pick another film.
  5. Sep 6, 2013
    Watch in amazement as the main characters hold swords but never actually use them against their foes. Be astonished by the surprisingly terrible story and get ready to be angry at possibly the worst ending to a movie I have ever seen!
  6. Aug 14, 2013
    Not only was not a big fan of "The Lightening Thief", but I definitely hated this movie. It has cheesy effects, it's too childish, the acting is only good for the crappy material it's been given and it just shows that the books are way better than these past two flops. Overall, go watch Elysium or something else! Be sure to check out my YouTube channel "TheMovieManLife" for all things movies.
  7. Aug 15, 2013
    Por lo que vi en los avances de cine, esta pelicula prometia mucho mas, la verdad se quedo muy corta en cuanto a historia parece un refrito mal hecho de los clasicos mitologicos como perseo y la medusa....espero que no sigan saliendo mas de estas peliculas de Percy Jackson
  8. Aug 17, 2013
    The only good thing about this film for me as a reader is i can't predict what will happen next, but the worst part as a reader is I expected that this film will more like the novel, because honestly the novel is so much better. At least just give a little bit effort to make it more like novel.
  9. Aug 19, 2013
    As an avid reader of the Percy Jackson books, my ten year old son had been looking forward to this installment in the film series for months. After finally getting to see it, he was unimpressed: "It wasn't that good. Too many things from the books weren't the same and a lot of it wasn't even there I was bored through half of it. Hopefully the next one is better."
  10. Aug 21, 2013
    This movie is about as terrible as the previous one. Awkward dialogue, hollow monologue, bad acting in general and it is simply dropping dookie on the books it is ''based off of''. The humor is not funny, I felt no compassion for the characters whatsoever and every problem's solving felt as scripted as humanly possible. DO NOT WATCH THIS MOVIE EVEN IF YOU WANT TO HUMOUR YOURSELF IN HOW BAD IT IS.
  11. Sep 28, 2013
    Es orrible oir a este estupido hablando de sus aventuras, sin embargo los mounstros, escenarios y efectos, rescatan el mal sentido del humor y malas y predecibles actuaciones
  12. Oct 5, 2013
    This film feels extremely rushed. It feels like a bunch of terrible scenes put together. Also, the dialogue is terrible. It's really cheesy. I don't recommend this unless you are a huge Percy Jackson fan.
  13. Nov 11, 2013
    Huge step down from the first movie in the franchise. Some parts were funny but the movie doesn't make sense. Why would Poseidon ignore Percy but not Tyson, Percys brother who also happens to be a cyclops. Bringing in Tyson was a bad move as his role was just pointless really. This sequel is not good but also not bad. The fact that it's called "Sea of Monsters" and there's just one "monster" in the sea just shows how much this movie lacks. Expand
  14. Nov 13, 2013
    i'm not waiting until the last Olympian to get it right i'm done with these movies i know book based movies are never as faithful to the source material because there movies you got to make changes but by god this is a new level of bad THE LAST AIRBENDER IS A MORE FAITHFUL ADAPTATION THEN THIS THAT"S HOW BAD IT IS and as a stand alone movie it doesn't fair any better the whole "you make your own path" is a theme of the book but it's not shoved in your face like it is here the character acting is corny the plot is it's better then the first movie but that is not saying much if there is a another movie i'm running to the theaters to see it i'm going to wait until i can see it for free online i'm not giving another dollar for this the percy jackson series deserves better then this an i give a big middle finger to the end fight, want to know why? well read the book sea of monsters and then watch the movie and see why YOU MOVIE!! Expand
  15. Nov 27, 2013
    Wow! It took only 20 minutes to get bored of this movie!
    What can I say, acting isn't well how should I put this.. Top of the line?
    And the action scenes just makes me laugh, they've been done so poorly. Well that applies to all the scenes, not just the action part.
  16. Nov 11, 2013
    The second film in the saga is even less fun than the first, no charisma, bad effects and petty. What is a shame because Percy seems to have something good to show.
  17. Nov 28, 2013
    why the hell did they want to make this movie,it is absolutely terrible with terrible things with terribles actuations,i hated it(and it was made by Chris Columbus wich made harry potter 1 and 2.
  18. Dec 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Overall, this movie is a total waste of time and money. It was so far fetched from the book I almost cried. The camp half blood scenes were portrayed very well, however the movie just went downhill from there. There were so many little changes they could've made throughout the entire movie that would've pleased the book fans. For instance Grover was at camp tagging along on the quest when he should've been on his search for Pan. There is no encounter at Circe's island, and the siren scene is completely cut out which was a major bonding point for Annabeth and Percy. They didn't need need it though, because there relationship was already so overly-developed with her always crying on his shoulder, not being the brave, athletic, and smart girl she was in the book. The character Luke was ever present (even when he shouldn't have been). He reminded me of a weasel, popping up everywhere with his minuscule army, instead of the overwhelming one we read about in the book. Along with that Percy Jackson himself seemed almost shy, with a lack of witty retorts and remarks. Clarisse played her part well, with smart aleck and sarcastic comments yet she didn't look the part and had an attractive appearance instead of a rough and tough one. The only characters that truly fit their parts were Grover and Mr. D, who we barely saw at all. Aside from lacking character depth there was a strange encounter in the stomach of Scylla that does not appear at all in the book (again, how hard would it be to follow the actual storyline.) The biggest crash of the movie, though, is the fight scene with Kronos at the island of the fleece. First of all, Luke's army wasn't even supposed to appear on the island, not to mention how did they lug a giant golden sarcophagus up this huge hill. (Spoiler alert! Don't read next line if you're gonna watch movie!) Then, worst of all Kronos actually rises into his own fiery form, not even possessing Luke which is a HUGE dramatic part of the series. Then, percy even manages to cast him back to his sarcophagus with one slash of his sword. In conclusion, this movie was a horrible wreck, and will leave the book lovers (and other fans) with a frustrated vibe. Expand
  19. Jan 1, 2014
    Did the writer of the movie even look at the book? They pronounce Thaila's name wrong! They use ugly actors who are too old! Tyson uses deodorant to hide his eye. What the hell did the script writer do to these perfect books?!
  20. Feb 3, 2014
    Terrible acting, terrible story, and extremely predictable. The CGI is alright, but I expected a so called "Sea of Monsters" would have more than just one monster. Disappointing and predictable for fans of the book.
  21. Feb 15, 2014
    I didn't really have a major problem with its predecessor, it was just a fun, forgettable fantasy that is desperately trying to be the next Harry Potter but absolutely failed. As for "Sea of Monsters" it is completely bland, awfully dull with bad CGI and an unattractive plot and fantasy sequences, it is just trying to be the next Harry Potter and fails for sure.
  22. Mar 8, 2014
    Oh my God, the first film was bad enough already. Before watching the film, I was optimistic and hoping that maybe this film would be an improvement. Turns out I was dead wrong. There is almost nothing interesting in the whole film and the acting was just bad.
  23. Mar 18, 2014
    El peor uso de la mitología griega que haya visto jamás. No he leído los libros pero creo que al menos deben tener algo más de profundidad los personajes. Un guión muy pobre.
  24. Mar 19, 2014
    Are you serious Chris Columbus??? This was an embarrassment to Percy Jackson fans everywhere. I hate you. You suck. This was even worse than the first one.
  25. Jul 20, 2014
    one of the worst bookbased movies i have ever seen. If you are a percy jackson, youre almost gonna cry. Bad acting, terrible dialogue and they completely changed the story

1. Reviewed by: Adam Markovitz
    Aug 9, 2013
    Sarcastic quips and cynical attitudes abound, maybe as a way for the movie's makers to telegraph that they know this is all just so much kid stuff. But if the characters can't muster genuine awe for their adventure, it's a tall order to ask us to do it for them.
  2. Reviewed by: Neil Smith
    Aug 9, 2013
    The final showdown whisks up the requisite excitement, but the open-ended coda feels like an optimistic throw of the dice from the franchise showing meagre signs of Harry Potter longevity.
  3. Reviewed by: Xan Brooks
    Aug 9, 2013
    The kids are charmless, the adults bemused.