5.0

1. Apr 9, 2015
    Percy Jackson is really not good the movie and the bad. this movie is stupid just so stupid and gover is so annoying almost all the charters are this movie sucks.
  2. Jan 17, 2015
    Filled to the brim with cheesy effects, juvenile attempts at humor, an incoherent plot, and far too many deviations from the source material ruin what could have been a fantastic start to a franchise. The Lightning Thief is forgettable to general audiences, but fans of the books will likely be disgusted.
  3. Dec 22, 2014
    I have read all the books in the percy jackson series. This is an awful halfdone piece of **** This movie is not worth it. It doesnt follow the book at the right places. Their business plan must have been: 1. buy license 2. read fanart 3. telll everyone they read the book 4. grab cash 5. bad sequal
  4. Nov 10, 2014
    Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightning Thief completely strays away from it's source material and replaces it with a very clumsy plot. It is also plagued with poor acting even if the movie is enjoyable and has the right feel of the book series.
  5. Aug 24, 2014
    Strong 3 stars.

I didn't dare to expect too many things from this movie, considering the target audience, but I was positively surprised. The story starts out strong: we get a good look at Percy Jackson's life; his mother lives with looser of a man, and it comes as no shock that he is more at ease at the bottom of the pool than in a classroom - due to increasingly worsening dyslexia
    Strong 3 stars.

The story starts out strong: we get a good look at Percy Jackson's life; his mother lives with looser of a man, and it comes as no shock that he is more at ease at the bottom of the pool than in a classroom - due to increasingly worsening dyslexia and a possibility of ADHD.

And then Percy's life changes entirely: his cripple friend isn't actually cripple, his substitude English teacher tosses him around, and the life Percy knew is obsolete.

During the first half of the movie, things manage to stay interesting. Percy is struggling with the truth and trying to adjust to his new task, but soon after that the movie falls into the same pitfalls as so many others before it: the awkward hero finds the HERO in him, and it's all off to a new, glorious adventure without fear or doubts - and with A minimum of mistakes. Almost like taking a pill and instantly becoming a capable warrior, only without the pill.

The cast was good, and Logan Lerman did well as Percy. Even Pierce Brosnan was quite good with his horse's ass. The only real disappointment was that Annabeth's character was quite unnecessary. She really didn't contribute that much to the story in general, other than being the pretty girl/heroine who is, naturally, more skilled than our clumsy hero (at least in the very beginning).

Also, the villain wasn't such a big surprise; they gave it away early in the movie, because why otherwise have a rather unimportant character suddenly help them without preamble or a real, valid reason?

Not a bad movie, even in the end. A little unsurprising, because we've seen this so many times before. Better than I dared to hope, though, and the special effects and music blended very nicely.
  6. Rem
    Jun 2, 2014
    This film just oozes suck, there has been no other than film that blatantly makes Twilight look half decent. All the performances were half assed, and the logic in the movie is dumb. And that's unforgivable.
  7. Jun 2, 2014
    Right from the start of the movie it strays from the book. It follows the book very loosely. The book is way better. There was so much potential for a great movie and this film fell short. I wouldn't waste your time if you are the type of person who likes the movies to stay true to the books.
  8. Apr 25, 2014
    My friend told me that I shouldn't compare this to a book because they are both different but if only it were differently titled I would've believed the story was different.
    Before I watched the movie all I know is that Percy Jackson is the son of Poseidon. That's pretty much it. I didn't read the book yet... but once I did I found out that this book is completely different from the movie. I felt that whoever directed this movie was clearly stealing, pardon my french, the name of the book and changing the story almost entirely. But even before I read the book this movie wasn't really that thrilling to begin with. It's all flashy animations and the characters aren't even at their full performance. The plot really deserves a big box of corn because how it was executed was terrible.
    Overall, movie does not deserve the name of Rick Riordan's book because of it's terrible execution of acting, scripting and independence from the book.
  9. Apr 20, 2014
    This movie is just terrible. Even if you don't consider the book, this is a dumb hero story that insults the viewer's intelligence. Event the famous actors performances are poor - but this is just because the plot and the dialogs are incredibly poor.
    Now if you take the book into account, things get much worse. Not only they have changed the plot, they took pieces of action parts and glued them together (not before also changing them). The personality of the characters are completely different from the book.
    So basically, they took the name of the series, the names of the characters and some of the book background (Greek Gods exist and still have children with humans) and then made something that has absolutely nothing to do with it. The result is embarrassing.
  10. Mar 19, 2014
    Do you know who never went to school? Whoever directed this movie. It sucks. Balls. They have no idea that a movie is supposed to at least follow the plot line more than 5% of the time. Who would have such a large brain tumor, be so ridiculously, utterly retarded, have absolutely no intellect, and zero common sense? I feel sorry for them because they must be treated with condescension andDo you know who never went to school? Whoever directed this movie. It sucks. Balls. They have no idea that a movie is supposed to at least follow the plot line more than 5% of the time. Who would have such a large brain tumor, be so ridiculously, utterly retarded, have absolutely no intellect, and zero common sense? I feel sorry for them because they must be treated with condescension and pity by their "friends" which they earned by the money they illegitimately earned from unsuspecting fans of a book who wanted to see the movie. Seriously, NO ONE who has read the book would even remotely consider it above a -10/10. The only reason that I gave it a zero was that there was no lower option. Expand
  11. Mar 19, 2014
    It was so bad, I went to the premier, barfed, and cried at the same time. Why Chris Columbus? You have killed us all with your horrible movie. It has so many differences from the book. It needs to follow the book you nerd. It sucked.
  12. Mar 13, 2014
    so far i read lighting theif book which is terrible . i percy jackson : saw sea of monsters movie which 100 % lot better then this movie . there's no good thing that happens in this film . it is a okay film but sea of monsters was better
  13. Mar 12, 2014
    what is this **** i am a huge fan of the books, and me and my brother used to fantasize about a movie that would be really awesome and it ruined my life. when i watched this movie, i was the most pumped i have ever been in my entire life. and then: What have i just witnessed, the death of my life? Probably. It's like you are a Percy Jackson pirate, and you find two chests, one is thewhat is this **** i am a huge fan of the books, and me and my brother used to fantasize about a movie that would be really awesome and it ruined my life. when i watched this movie, i was the most pumped i have ever been in my entire life. and then: What have i just witnessed, the death of my life? Probably. It's like you are a Percy Jackson pirate, and you find two chests, one is the movie, one is the book. You open the book chest and they're are diamonds and rubies, heaps of gold. Then you open the movie chest hoping to be even richer? and you find the chest full of **** and with a single piece of rough amber worth twenty dollars. I felt like the director didnt even read the book and here is why:
    1. Where is Clarisse?
    2. Where is Ares?
    3. (not racist) why is Grover black?
    4. They were given the pearls
    5. They dont even go through the Underworld, they just ride Charon's ferry to Hades' fortress.
    6. Annabeth is blond
    7. All the characters are about twelve in the book, in the movie they are about sixteen.
    8. The Lotus Hotel did not show make them high, it made them not want to leave.
    9. Camp Half Blood is not in a forest, it is in a valley. The cabins are in a U shape and there isn't people fighting with swords all the time. It isn't a military camp, its a place fir Half-Bloods to live safely.
    10. Percy stays at the river in capture the flag, he goes nowhere. Luke gets the flag and brings it across the lake.

I only want to list ten because this movie frustrated me a lot. i will never watch this again and i do not recommend it to you. Now the reason i rate this as one is because it would be a pretty good movie all on its own, that is not to say that i like it at all.
  14. Mar 9, 2014
    The book isn't a bad read, but the movie falls way short of it. It's horribly plotted, horribly acted, and offers little redemption of any kind in the end.
  15. Mar 8, 2014
    I haven't read any of the Percy Jackson books, and I'm gonna say that this first film was a big disappointment. Yeah, I think I'm gonna stick with "Harry Potter" and "Lord of the Rings".
  16. Jan 21, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. being a great lover of the books i can honestly say that watching this movie made me wish that i never started it. from the very first scene to the very last nothing but the extreme simplification of the story was there. there understanding of the story in the book seemed to be the lightning bolt was stolen you have to get it back. that was pretty much the only thing that they took from the book. the one thing that i just can't get over is the complete removal of ares from the story... i mean that is both integral to that story and to the entire rest of the series. it is beyond my understanding why the people who write these books don't understand what is necessary to keep the story intact. not to mention the whole unnecessary side quest to get the pearls. the fact is there was no legitimate reason for the careless disregard for a perfectly excellent story. overall i would advise that you not watch this atrocious piece of trash Expand
  17. Dec 27, 2013
    I really want to like Percy Jackson. I really do. But not only is nothing that I enjoyed in the books in the movie, the film also is an embarrassment to the literary saga. The complex characters I remember have been replaced by bland, dense fantasy archetypes. The acting, especially Lerman as the lead, is awful. Every character has been dumbed down and even Grover, who served as a majorI really want to like Percy Jackson. I really do. But not only is nothing that I enjoyed in the books in the movie, the film also is an embarrassment to the literary saga. The complex characters I remember have been replaced by bland, dense fantasy archetypes. The acting, especially Lerman as the lead, is awful. Every character has been dumbed down and even Grover, who served as a major emotional support and friend to Percy, has been transformed into a typical comic relief who sprays one-liners and pop culture references without any thought or effort. Even the action sequences are marred by miserable CGI and the sheer lack of drama accompanying them. For a clear Harry Potter clone, it forgets to copy the drama and suspense that made the later Potter films so engaging. Instead, the viewer feels no concern for the characters as they are thrust into "perilous" situations. In the end, Percy Jackson feels wrong. Every scene, character dialogue, and CGI backdrop is a disgrace to the books that got teenage readers addicted to the fantasy genre and Greek mythology. It's just another child-pleasing action flick instead of an adaptation that fully conveys the ingenuity of its source material.

3.5/10

Follow me on twitter. @cbeers2513
  18. Dec 17, 2013
  19. Nov 24, 2013
    I know movies adapted from books aren't usually going to meet expectations for some, but this was just ridiculous. It skipped out on so many things that made the book good. The acting wasn't all that great, which I have endured over the course of years. It had no character development, and overall, a terrible movie.
  20. Nov 13, 2013
    this movie does not do the source material any justice i can't believe the director of harry potter did this travesty they gutted the book removing all the good stuff and replaced it with generic boring i would list all the things wrong with it but that would take to long the only things they really keep over from the book are the names, the bare bones basic plot of the story and that'sthis movie does not do the source material any justice i can't believe the director of harry potter did this travesty they gutted the book removing all the good stuff and replaced it with generic boring i would list all the things wrong with it but that would take to long the only things they really keep over from the book are the names, the bare bones basic plot of the story and that's it, a utter let down to any fan of the books as a stand alone movie it fairs better but not by much Expand
  21. Aug 28, 2013
    Good book, good film. It has some fails but the story and the effects are interesting. Really recomended for people that enjoy with mithology. Rick Riordan is a great writer, I recomend 100% to read his books.
  22. Aug 14, 2013
    Definitely not as true to the high and mighty spirits of its books, unlike those such as the "Harry Potter" film series, but despite this, the film has the loving nature from its characters, specifically Percy and Annabeth. Though the story has the obvious CG effects that feel fake to audiences, it still leaves a somewhat enjoyable aftereffect and will leave most audiences satisfied.Definitely not as true to the high and mighty spirits of its books, unlike those such as the "Harry Potter" film series, but despite this, the film has the loving nature from its characters, specifically Percy and Annabeth. Though the story has the obvious CG effects that feel fake to audiences, it still leaves a somewhat enjoyable aftereffect and will leave most audiences satisfied. Though definitely not as well crafted as the books or other film adaptations already out there, "Percy Jackson & the Olympians: Lightning Thief" works with its undeniably charming cast and the jam packed action scenes that both the books and this film were able to accomplish. Expand
  23. Aug 7, 2013
    I read all the books, and this movie is somewhat of a disgrace to the book. If you are going to make a movie from a story that came from a book, at least make it like the book. The only thing that was right was the Locust Hotel, and that scene wasn't that great. Terrible acting. It could be a fan made film, with some extra CGI.
  24. Aug 7, 2013
    Since I'm a big fan of the book series, I was totally excited. But after a few minutes I couldn't believe it. They destroyed the fantastic world of Percy Jackson and Camp Half-Blood. Independent of the book, the storyline was ok... The actors are ok... Action ok... But it just broke my heart when I saw the movie. If you love the books DON'T watch the movie! To sum up the movie was worse than ok.
  25. Aug 3, 2013
    Nice CGI effects. Begins promising but misses all potential of being a good movie faster than someone can say Poseidon. Absolutely foreseeable plot. Did I already mention the CGI? Yes? That is all to say about it. If nothing else is on tv or no other movie available, okay, see it, but otherwise a waste of time.
  26. Jul 9, 2013
    el ladrón del rayo mantiene poco contenido bueno, es algo básico a lo cual destaco pocas cosas importantes............................................
  27. Jun 22, 2013
    Percy Jackson is a fun family film but with little content.

Percy Jackson is a fun family film but with little content.

A fantastic book with a good movie, Percy Jackson is not the new Harry Potter will not be the new fantastic series acclaimed by the public! The movie is good with fine performances, cool effects, but with a much lower content of the book, to take that many characters? To change to the script? For what? A film that deserves a 70 just for being fun.
  28. Jun 5, 2013
    I really enjoyed this second time around just as much as when I watched it the first time, and I can't help but still see the Harry Potter similarities and while it will never compare to that series it's still a great film. Lerman leads the way as Percy who is accused of stealing a lightning bolt. Its a little corny but definitely in a way that really works. The young cast definitelyI really enjoyed this second time around just as much as when I watched it the first time, and I can't help but still see the Harry Potter similarities and while it will never compare to that series it's still a great film. Lerman leads the way as Percy who is accused of stealing a lightning bolt. Its a little corny but definitely in a way that really works. The young cast definitely overshadows the older ones who make short appearances, but overall a solid film and I look forward to the sequel! Expand
  29. May 28, 2013
    For me, this movie is a "meh". They sort of changed the story the book had and gave it something else it isn't. My suggestion about this, read the the book instead, but you don't have to "not" see this movie. Its not that bad, but just wish they sticked with original story.
  30. Mar 29, 2013
    The story of the game follows the same exact plot as the book, so everything is still intact. The story is a well written story with believable voice acting and characters. I really liked the characters. They're full of personality and hilarious. The special effects are some of the best I've ever seen in a movie. The movie tells the story from beginning to end well. The movie is a bit of aThe story of the game follows the same exact plot as the book, so everything is still intact. The story is a well written story with believable voice acting and characters. I really liked the characters. They're full of personality and hilarious. The special effects are some of the best I've ever seen in a movie. The movie tells the story from beginning to end well. The movie is a bit of a surprise. This is one of the best movies based on books I've ever seen. I hope to see more from this in the future Expand
  31. Mar 21, 2013
    Im a fan of the book series and now the movie (The only book I'd read is Percy Jackson (Not Harry Potter, Not Narnia, Not Twilight) only Percy Jackson). I for one though the acting, effects, and everything was better then Harry Potter, Twilight, Narnia, Hunger Games. I liked Logan Lerman from his old TV show. However I do believe they took a little too much things out the movie I stillIm a fan of the book series and now the movie (The only book I'd read is Percy Jackson (Not Harry Potter, Not Narnia, Not Twilight) only Percy Jackson). I for one though the acting, effects, and everything was better then Harry Potter, Twilight, Narnia, Hunger Games. I liked Logan Lerman from his old TV show. However I do believe they took a little too much things out the movie I still liked it way more then all those other movies. I also like Narnia's series better then Harry Potters. Watch it. Expand
  32. Jan 6, 2013
    This seems like a missed opportunity. I absolutely love the books and have read every one of them multiple times. The movie seemed to take the book, ignore some important points, and basically made the movie unappealing at best The main characters are wooden, and what they did to the story line is unforgivable. This could have been the perfect movie but the directors managed to turn itThis seems like a missed opportunity. I absolutely love the books and have read every one of them multiple times. The movie seemed to take the book, ignore some important points, and basically made the movie unappealing at best The main characters are wooden, and what they did to the story line is unforgivable. This could have been the perfect movie but the directors managed to turn it into something that no one wants to remember. Expand
  33. Nov 12, 2012
    Chris Columbus, who directed the first two Harry Potter films so gracefully, has slipped bellow the bar here, draining all excitement and motivation from this mythological romp.
  34. May 22, 2012
    This movie has good and bad moments, mostly bad moments, that's why I gave a 4. I agree with other users with the cheesy acting of the characters. Cheesy acting really makes me turn off and sometimes it makes me don't watch the rest of the movie. It also has that immature element on the plot, which makes the movie childish than "adult-ish". But on the other hand, it does have nice specialThis movie has good and bad moments, mostly bad moments, that's why I gave a 4. I agree with other users with the cheesy acting of the characters. Cheesy acting really makes me turn off and sometimes it makes me don't watch the rest of the movie. It also has that immature element on the plot, which makes the movie childish than "adult-ish". But on the other hand, it does have nice special effects which lift the movie a little bit. But sadly, it is not enough to make the movie worthy to be called " as good as" the original book. Expand
  35. Apr 20, 2012
    I read all five books of Percy Jackson & The Olympians. I must say it was a good collaboration of Greek mythology and modern events. I like the story as well as the characters. However, the movie was quite disappointing. I wasn't expecting anything in the movie but I was disappointed how the story changed. After reading the book, I was excited to see how the cabins would look like, theI read all five books of Percy Jackson & The Olympians. I must say it was a good collaboration of Greek mythology and modern events. I like the story as well as the characters. However, the movie was quite disappointing. I wasn't expecting anything in the movie but I was disappointed how the story changed. After reading the book, I was excited to see how the cabins would look like, the fight b/w Clarisse and Percy in bathroom, how Iris-messaging worked and a lot more things I would like to see. But the movie didn't even show it.
    On the lighter note, the actors were great. I liked Grover (Brandon T. Jackson) and Persephone (Rosario Dawson). I loved the view of Underworld and the Olympus. I could imagine how it will look like during the Titan war.
    I heard that there'll be a Sea of Monsters movie. I hope this one will be good as the book. I don't know how they will incorporate the real story after the first movie. But let's see :)
  36. Apr 9, 2012
    A mediocre book series has been turned into a movie that is "fair enough". The actors don't resemble the characters at all, Percy is 5 years older than he is supposed to be, and the plot just doesn't fit with the series. Surprisingly, the movie is actually pretty good as a stand-alone. If you pretend the book series doesn't exist, this movie is one you'll enjoy.
  37. Apr 1, 2012
    This isn't exactly a great start for the movie series, but it is generally good. The story is okay, but it seems like there are a lot of plot holes within it. The special effects are okay.
  38. Mar 25, 2012
    Percy Jackson & The Lightning Thief is, for the most part, good family entertainment. It's pretty visually spectacular, and features some clever and funny deconstructions of Greek mythology. The film features a cast of young-and-upcoming actors Logan Lerman, Alexandra Daddario and Jake Abel as the half-human children of Olympian Gods, the ever-entertaining Brandon T. Jackson as a satyrPercy Jackson & The Lightning Thief is, for the most part, good family entertainment. It's pretty visually spectacular, and features some clever and funny deconstructions of Greek mythology. The film features a cast of young-and-upcoming actors Logan Lerman, Alexandra Daddario and Jake Abel as the half-human children of Olympian Gods, the ever-entertaining Brandon T. Jackson as a satyr guardian and a multi-national mix of film and TV veterans playing Gods, monsters and mortals, including Sean Bean, Kevin McKidd, Steve Coogan, Rosario Dawson, Pierce Brosnan, Uma Thurman, Catherine Keener and Joe Pantoliano. With such a wide-ranging cast, the quality of the performances is also rather inconsistent. The youngsters Lerman, Daddario, and particularly Abel and Jackson do their jobs admirably, and keep the story grounded and human in a highschool-drama sort of way (despite the fact it deals with myths, monsters and deities). Thurman makes a effectively creepy and fun Medusa and McKidd, Keener and Pantoliano are serviceable but under-used as Percy's God-dad Poseidon, his caring mother and slimy step-dad respectively. Concerning the rest of the acting "talent" the filmmakers have brought in, things are a little less solid - Bean coasts as Zeus, Coogan appears to be reprising one of his less successful, and less funny comic TV creations as Hades and Pierce Brosnan's performance as centaur trainer Chiron is over-acted and bordering on parody. The film's story is diverting, and has some creative and eye-popping set-pieces, but it won't stay in your memory for long. It's never boring, but never quite glues you to the screen either. In comparison with director Chris Columbus' other work, it's probably better than the first two Harry Potter films, but never reaches the heights of his two Home Alone films, at least in terms of pure entertainment. It has moments of beauty, moments of humour, moments of genuine drama, but not quite enough of any of them. In short, it's slightly better than average. Though it won't blow you away, Percy Jackson & The Lightning Thief makes for an ideal Saturday afternoon film, with a few good thrills and a cosy family-friendly moral to the whole thing. As with Harry Potter, the series needs a more talented director like Alfonso Cuaron to take the reigns in order to break free from mediocrity. Expand
  39. Mar 24, 2012
    This movie is NOTHING like the book. The story has been completely changed - Grover has been changed from a funny, awkward, and lovable character to an annoying, unfunny, Jar Jar Binks-like "comic relief" character; Annabeth has been changed from a kind yet strong girl to an obnoxious, generic character; Hades has become the main villain rather than Ares; and there is no comradery orThis movie is NOTHING like the book. The story has been completely changed - Grover has been changed from a funny, awkward, and lovable character to an annoying, unfunny, Jar Jar Binks-like "comic relief" character; Annabeth has been changed from a kind yet strong girl to an obnoxious, generic character; Hades has become the main villain rather than Ares; and there is no comradery or connection between the characters... at all. The movie tries too hard to be funny, but the jokes are forced, unnecessary predictable, and all around unfunny. The book, on the other hand, is hilarious. On the technical side, the special effects are... not bad, but not very good either. But enough pointing out the movies nagging flaws. On the positive side, it has some pretty entertaining moments (Minotaur and Medusa, anyone?) and the acting was decent. All in all, though, I give this movie a 5/10. As far as movies go, it's watchable and I'm sure people who haven't read the book will enjoy it. However, if you HAVE read the book, this movie rent-worthy at best. Expand
  40. Mar 24, 2012
    I just LOVE this movie and I really learned alot in this movie and I just really hope that they make another one (I really really want them to make another one!)
  41. Feb 27, 2012
    They didn't make the Percy movie the way they should have, but it still tells a good, entertaining enough story all its own. Definitely not Chris Columbus's best. If you want to see his triumphs, look for the first two Harry Potter films.
  42. Feb 18, 2012
    I was observing a 7th grade English class this quarter and they were reading The Lightening Thief and I decided to read it with them. I loved the book and read the entire series quickly. However, I am glad that they are not planning on watching the move as a class because it is an abomination. Changing the storyline that far and entirely removing important characters makes this a seriousI was observing a 7th grade English class this quarter and they were reading The Lightening Thief and I decided to read it with them. I loved the book and read the entire series quickly. However, I am glad that they are not planning on watching the move as a class because it is an abomination. Changing the storyline that far and entirely removing important characters makes this a serious disappointment. Expand
  43. Jan 2, 2012
    It has great, charming and witty performances from its leads, backed up by its solid supporting cast and has cool special effects, but it doesn't follow the book which makes it look cliche and silly. I give this movie 29%.
  44. Dec 4, 2011
    Beautiful animation and scenery with decent acting. It should be a great family movie. However, I found that it was quite different from the book and it slightly resembles Harry Potter. But it is still quite a good movie to watch and burn some time with.
  45. Nov 18, 2011
    I am a big fan of the Percy Jackson series. But what I found is that the movie isn't as interesting and as good as the books. Movies should give more fast pacing story plot and visual than books do. But I found the books are actually better than the movie.
  46. Nov 16, 2011
    This film is just horrible! The story, which is based on a book, is terrible! This film gave me head aches for being soo bad!!! But it isn't the worst movie ever though.
  47. Nov 1, 2011
    With a terrible pace, unconvincing actors, Percy Jackson brings us one of the worst adaptations of a book purchases big screen, read the book who really can tell how bad the movie is.
  48. Oct 27, 2011
    Logan Lerman along with the ensemble cast had an amazing movie. Dissapointed that the movie didn't follow the book well, but the movie was GREAT regardless. Logan is simply an amazing actor, and portrayed Percy perfectly. One of my favorite movies of all time without a doubt.
  49. Oct 18, 2011
    The movie is okay, the movie does not follow the book at all either. If you think the movie was good, go read the book and then tell me otherwise. The movie should have stuck to the plot of the book, yes the movie plot was decent but the book's plot is much much better, Percy Jackson is explored much more in the books while the movies only give him a shallow approach. The movie fails toThe movie is okay, the movie does not follow the book at all either. If you think the movie was good, go read the book and then tell me otherwise. The movie should have stuck to the plot of the book, yes the movie plot was decent but the book's plot is much much better, Percy Jackson is explored much more in the books while the movies only give him a shallow approach. The movie fails to address some VERY IMPORTANT aspects of not only the first Percy Jackson book but of the entire series. I give the acting and special effects credit, they were pretty good but the plot is just not up to par. Maybe if the movie followed the book the score would be higher but it doesn't. The writer of the books Rick Riordan must be shaking his head in dissagreement thinking "God, they really butchered my story". Overall, The movie is a dissapointment for fans of the books and if you haven't read the books the plot might seem good to you but those of us that read the books know that this movie does not follow the books and is NOTHING compared to the books. My suggestion: Those who haven't read the book looking for an entertainment fix should watch but those that have read the story don't watch it because you will be pretty upset over it. There are certain books adapted into movies that are mindblowing (like The Godfather) but then there are movies like this that only share the name and nothing else. Expand
  50. Sep 22, 2011
    Cheesy and childish at its best, but hey. It still helps you memorize all those Greek gods and myth.
  51. Sep 17, 2011
    Let me start by saying that: Chris Columbus ruined what could be a great movie. Although the first two Harry Potter (both directed by him) were excessively long, they were pretty good films, so I was very excited about this version of Percy Jackson. Well, the running time was shorter that I expected but on Columbus's hands the storyline was childish and the main characters were shallow.Let me start by saying that: Chris Columbus ruined what could be a great movie. Although the first two Harry Potter (both directed by him) were excessively long, they were pretty good films, so I was very excited about this version of Percy Jackson. Well, the running time was shorter that I expected but on Columbus's hands the storyline was childish and the main characters were shallow. But the worst thing about this film is the adaptation. Percy becomes stupid. Annabeth who is a brave and intelligent friend of Percy, becomes arrogant and snobbish. And Grover is used as comic relief. I think for other people who haven't read the book, the film will be ok. But for me, only the visual effects and main actors saved this film from a total disaster. Expand
  52. Jun 22, 2011
    The Lightning Thief isn't bad. It has decent effects, okay performances, and can be fun for people who haven't read the book. But people who have read it might get a few thrills, but ultimately will be frustrated by the unfaithful adaptation that Chris Columbus did, and the ending which doesn't open a franchise as well as you would have hoped.
  53. Jun 20, 2011
    Warning: very clunky dialogue and poor acting. You have been warned. Most special effects looked good, especially the boat crossing in hell, but some wasn't very smooth looking. One particular eye rolling moment was when it was explained that the enemies of Poseidon's son cannot detect him on earth was because his stepfather has such bad body odor that it masks his scent. Yes. TheyWarning: very clunky dialogue and poor acting. You have been warned. Most special effects looked good, especially the boat crossing in hell, but some wasn't very smooth looking. One particular eye rolling moment was when it was explained that the enemies of Poseidon's son cannot detect him on earth was because his stepfather has such bad body odor that it masks his scent. Yes. They actually say that in the film. Like the kid never leaves home, or goes to school, without his evil stepfather in tow. The film might appeal more to a younger age, and some special effects were good, thus the "4" rating. Expand
  54. Jun 12, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. **** THIS MOVIE! **** THIS MOVIE! **** THIS MOVIE! **** THIS MOVIE! this movie is **** i mean **** i remember that back in 2010 when this movie came out i had read all the books all over again and invited a whole bunch of friends over to see it close to opening night. i was going to see sean bean, Pierce Brosnan and Uma Thurman portray my favorite characters in the book. and at the time i loved all three of those actors and actresses. then the movie started. it was all down hill from there.
    first off, Percy in the books was tan, but he isn't in the movie. Strike one. Percy in the book is twelve. in the movie he is a senior in high school. strike two. Grover didn't need **** to suport him, he just had a limp because he had his hooves concealed in mother ****ing god damned foam feet. there are a million other strikes against this movie, but... if i were to go into alot of detail and see my favorite book being destroyed so badly. i would explode. but then again i probably should for the sake of the reader. in the movie, Hades was the bad guy. BULL **** in the book they made Kronos the bad guy, and that made it possible for the evil Demigods to come together and attack camp half blood. another thing is that it was Ares that put the lightning bolt in Percy's back pack. not Luke giving Percy a shield with the lightning bolt inside! Especially since Percy didn't get a ****ing shield until the second book! And Luke didn't plan out every last detail, it was Kronos that influenced him! And WHEN THE HELL DID THEY HAVE TO SEARCH FOR THE ****IN PEARLS OF APHRODITE?!?!?!?!??!?!?!??!?! i was a huge fan of the books. i really anticipated the movie, but with all the flaws, (And yes, i haven't even said all the things wrong, *cough*Hades wasn't emo*cough* and before my head explodes, lets leave it all at that.
  55. Apr 29, 2011
    Thiswas a good movie. :) I love the part at the end where Gabe gets turned 2 stone. :) this is a good movie. My 2 next 2 Eragon.:) M e and my sister Julia love this movie.
  56. Feb 22, 2011
    Well, it totally ruined the book, and not that the book is a masterpiece or something, but it was a very fun and cool book to read, and the movie pretty sucks. It seems like Chris Columbus tries to revive his Harry Potter success, like he's regretting he haven't directed the rest (and better) Harry Potter films after the first and the second, whom he directed, and stayed enjoying its laterWell, it totally ruined the book, and not that the book is a masterpiece or something, but it was a very fun and cool book to read, and the movie pretty sucks. It seems like Chris Columbus tries to revive his Harry Potter success, like he's regretting he haven't directed the rest (and better) Harry Potter films after the first and the second, whom he directed, and stayed enjoying its later success. First of all, Percy Jackson is not Harry Potter and never would be, furthermore, the Chris Columbus-directed Harry Potter films are the worst of the series. If the first Harry Potter film had any connection with the original book and succeeded bringing any of the book's magic on screen, than Percy Jackson failed. Chris Columbus changed the book plot a lot and made it seem like a cheap action-adventures-coming-of-age film, for the likes of teen heroes such as Edward Cullen. The cast is almost pathetic, instead of a 12-year old Percy Jackson, Columbus casted an 18-year old actor, a actor who couldn't fit the original character, he's just acting flat. Uma Thurman appears here in her worst role since Poison Ivy in Batman & Robin (which is one of the worst films ever), I think she should retire from this kind of roles, the wannabe-sexy villain ones, it's just don't work. Basically, the highlight of this movie is just a few nice jokes, most of them by Glover the satyr (who is an African-American in the film, in order to satisfy the politically-correct terms). I hope that there wouldn't be a sequel, and if Fox would ever decide to make another film I hope for best it would be a reboot and not a sequel, because Percy Jackson books indeed have a great potential to be a fantastic children-fantasy franchise, and not what Chris Columbus made it look like; it shouldn't be copied after Harry Potter's action-fantasy, and it shouldn't contain a coming-of-age drama, because the Percy Jackson books offers something different than this, which Chris Columbus may not realized. Expand
  57. Feb 7, 2011
    The movie was a complete disaster!!! All Percy Jackson book fans loook away dont bother seeing it because its a waste of time, money, and a complete waste of rick Riordan's awsome writting skills. (which is the best thing since Harry Potter, Avatar, and CBS news!!!!!!) The movie went to fast, it didn't complete ideas it left out 3-4 main charecters, It completely switched around peoplesThe movie was a complete disaster!!! All Percy Jackson book fans loook away dont bother seeing it because its a waste of time, money, and a complete waste of rick Riordan's awsome writting skills. (which is the best thing since Harry Potter, Avatar, and CBS news!!!!!!) The movie went to fast, it didn't complete ideas it left out 3-4 main charecters, It completely switched around peoples personalities, changed almost the whole story plot, and to top it all off Chris Columbus should of chose the author to direct, pick the cast, and write the screen play by himself, and it still would of been better!!!!!! a thumbs down movie for Colubus Expand
  58. Feb 2, 2011
    Let me first start out with saying that I have read the book multiple times and loved it (even if it's a little lower than my reading level). Having said that, this movie was terrible. The story line was witty and humorous in the book, while it was taken too seriously in the movie. While the main character's performance was, for the most part, solid, the whole rest of the cast's acting wasLet me first start out with saying that I have read the book multiple times and loved it (even if it's a little lower than my reading level). Having said that, this movie was terrible. The story line was witty and humorous in the book, while it was taken too seriously in the movie. While the main character's performance was, for the most part, solid, the whole rest of the cast's acting was atrocious. It seemed that everyone was always out of breath, even when nothing had been done. I cannot stand Pierce Brosnan, and this movie only made him less likable. He gave perhaps one of the worst performances I've ever seen. The story was very sloppy, the dialogue was bland and idiotic at times. What I don't understand, is why they chose to change the story so much from the book. The main ideas behind the book were thrown out, to make room for a weak plot line that doesn't follow through for fans of the book, or newcomers. All in all, this movie was a disaster. One of the worst I've ever seen. Expand
  59. Jan 18, 2011
    Cute, but slow and boring. While I love the theme, I never read the series. The movie targets the same age group as the books and hits the mark. Unfortunately, I'm not part of the demographic.
  60. Jan 11, 2011
    The Director is Chris Columbus, who I called The Family Man, most of his works always contains family value. His previous works include: HOME ALONE (1990), MRS. DOUBTFIRE (1993), BICENTENNIAL MAN (1999), Two early HARRY POTTER series (2001-2002), and RENT (2005), which I loved about. In thiz latest movie, he adapted the first series of Rick Riordan novel. The story told about a commonThe Director is Chris Columbus, who I called The Family Man, most of his works always contains family value. His previous works include: HOME ALONE (1990), MRS. DOUBTFIRE (1993), BICENTENNIAL MAN (1999), Two early HARRY POTTER series (2001-2002), and RENT (2005), which I loved about. In thiz latest movie, he adapted the first series of Rick Riordan novel. The story told about a common teenager just found out that he is the offspring of Poseidon, one of the Greek Gods (they called it: Demigod). Now is time for Percy to stop the war between the Gods, who demanding the Zeu lost Lightning Bolt. Percy stars by Logan Lerman. Lerman performs adequately on his character. Almost all the mythical characters appear in thiz movie. The other Casts are: Sean Bean, Pierce Brosnan, Steve Coogan, Rosario Dawson, Catherine Keener, and Uma Thurman. The script itself applied a little bit shallow and corny. Obviously, there are some weaknesses that I found disturbing. First, all The Customes on thiz movie is so ordinary and lack of innovation. I believe we already seen it, even on HERCULES TV episodes. Some of the settings also terribly executed, the training camp set (the place that Percy and other Demigods train) is clearly not in high concept. It seems to be, Columbus did not support by fine Production Designer Team for thiz time. In overall, thiz movie is so far from building a great franchise like Harry Potter. The fact, There are some copy-paste elements on thiz story, like: trio friends bond, the chosen one, magical gadgets, wicked step family, etc. America wants to have their own Harry Potter? They must try harder. Visit My Blog on JONNY'S MOVEE : http://jonnyfendi.blogspot.com Expand
  61. Dec 13, 2010
    One of the better Greek-myth movie currently. Cris Columbus is planning to do sequals so that could explain why the book and movie aren't similar. Really good soundtrack.
  62. Oct 13, 2010
    I've been dying to see this movie when I read all five of the Percy Jackson books. too bad it was disliked by fans because it was a Harry Potter ripoff. thats alright, Chris Columbus. you gave this movie worth a try. bottomline: the actors are supporting, the visuals were nice, and the storyline is entertaining.
  63. Oct 1, 2010
    This movie has absolutely no redeeming qualities qhatsoever to keep it from being the generic piece of **** it is. **** my life. This movie doesn't deserve to exist.

1. Reviewed by: Helen O'Hara
    Slavishly follows every rule of the kids’ fantasy franchise genre, but it’s a well-executed and imagined world. Bet the sequel’s darker.
  2. Reviewed by: David Jenkins
    Mirthless, episodic fantasy saga.
  3. Percy Jackson isn't a great movie, but it's a good one, trotting out kernels of Greek mythology like so many Disney Channel references. For the most part, it works.