Perfect Sense

7.1

1. Apr 30, 2016
    What an original story; I've never seen anything similar. We have two people trying to connect as lovers while the world faces a threat. Okay, that is familiar, Titanic, The Abyss, etc. We get to see how people react to the threat, how these two react to each other, a good character study.
  2. Apr 12, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This film really makes you think about your senses, how important they are and if you were to lose them, how would you carry on. After seeing so many reviews that were negative I was confused, as this film's story line is such a great yet terrifying idea that the director and actors have managed to put across to the audience successfully. The director really captured the feelings of loss when each sense disappears, the fear the panic, especially when hearing is lost. Expand
  3. Oct 6, 2015
    The Perfect Sense feels like it should have been a good movie but winds up not more than mediocre. The lead actress is a terrible fit for the role, her acting felt fake in a few key scenes and in others she seemed more a spoiled princess than an epidemiologist working hard on a cure to save the world. Besides that, the film was alright. The premise was interesting, the shooting was fine,The Perfect Sense feels like it should have been a good movie but winds up not more than mediocre. The lead actress is a terrible fit for the role, her acting felt fake in a few key scenes and in others she seemed more a spoiled princess than an epidemiologist working hard on a cure to save the world. Besides that, the film was alright. The premise was interesting, the shooting was fine, and Ewan MacGregor's performance was believable. I must say, though, if you are going to make a movie about the end of the world and you want it to work, the audience has to have a good amount of sympathy for the characters. Expand
  4. Aug 6, 2014
    Globally, the movie's good. Great actors, darkest atmosphere and interesting staging. However, there is some too far long scenes, too intimist. The romance between Ewan McGregor and Eva Green is too much developed in relation to the reactions of the world in front of this epidemic...
  5. Apr 9, 2014
    A journey through a matrix of sense and emotion. I can only explain my positive reaction (compared to the general apathy of critics) on my predisposition to such overt portrayals of raw emotion. A brilliant ending.
  6. Jun 21, 2013
    Don't let the fact that this film participated in the Sundance Film Festival fool you. It is an attempt at telling a tale of lovers tormented by an apocalyptic epidemic, which results in a black mood and a boring plot.
  7. Jun 20, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I can't understand the bad reviews in that film. At first i saw it was a BBC movie and i thought it won't be good. This film came as a surprise for me as it's one of the best film drama-romance-fantasy. The plot is truly original and the ending made me really sad. I can't imagine how it is when you lose all your senses. The last scene will make you cry. And Eva Green's narration will chill you. Thumbs up Expand
  8. Jun 20, 2012
    Pretty depressing, for some people maybe it's old sweet movie, uneven or whatever. But for me it's great, every frame, every sense, love. You'll notice when something bad happen on life, on your love, you must go on.
  9. Jun 11, 2012
    If you like standard, run-of-the-mill romantic comedies like 'Serendipity', 'Kate & Leopold' or 'How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days' this might not be the movie for you. This is a little gem that you only rarely discover between the default Hollywood drab, so if you want to see something completely different you might come to know and love this film. One of the better films of 2012.
  10. Jun 8, 2012
    Terrible. I wanted so badly to like this film, but it was terrible....boring...in opposition to one critic's review, it was in fact over-stylized and redundantly abstract. The voice-over narration was annoying and inappropriate. The relationship between the two main characters seemed forced and insincere. I am usually very fond of under-the-radar films, especially with talented actors, butTerrible. I wanted so badly to like this film, but it was terrible....boring...in opposition to one critic's review, it was in fact over-stylized and redundantly abstract. The voice-over narration was annoying and inappropriate. The relationship between the two main characters seemed forced and insincere. I am usually very fond of under-the-radar films, especially with talented actors, but I was sorely disappointed with this film. I wanted to stop it halfway through, but I'm not one to quit something once I've started it. But all in all, it was a waste of my evening. I wasn't left wondering about any great dilemma in the world or pondering the intricacies of relationships. I was left bored and uninspired. Hope this helps. Expand
  11. Mar 12, 2012
    It is just not an apocaliptic movie, or a story based on Saramago´s novels. I really loved it, very fresh, reflexive, very good acting, and a story that left me some to think during the whole week end

1. Reviewed by: Alison Willmore
    Feb 8, 2012
    The perseverance of McGregor's restaurant, in spite of its apparent inutility in the changing world, ends up having more poignancy than his parting and reuniting with the glowering Green.
  2. Reviewed by: Lisa Schwarzbaum
    Feb 8, 2012
    Ewan McGregor and Eva Green are easy on the eyes as lovers in Perfect Sense, an intriguing apocalyptic romance with a multi-purpose title.
  3. Reviewed by: James Berardinelli
    Feb 8, 2012
    Perfect Sense offers an epic tale seen through the prism of a tiny, intimate story. It's the inverse of "Contagion," which sacrificed character to scope.