6.4

1. Feb 19, 2014
    Who would have thought a movie about a guy in a phone booth would be as interesting as it was? I suppose when Joel Shumacher is directing an all-star cast, anything, even an entire movie that takes place in a phone booth, can be interesting! Colin Farrell stars as a man who lies, cheats, and does anything it takes to get to the top of his profession. He thinks he's on top of the world, with a wife, a girlfriend, and a group of clients, who don't know what scum he is, but someone has noticed the real Stu Shepard and has trained a rifle on him. Shepard has to do as he is told or risk becoming yet another victim, of a man who has been targeting New York City's businessmen. Colin Farrell is a very versatile actor, it's always been his biggest strength, but generally I find his performances to be kind of flat. Farrell has never been someone who I would consider a top tier Hollywood actor, but looking back on this early performance, I have to tell you, I was impressed. The setting of the film was so limited, that the only way it works is if you have a strong and believable cast, which Phone Booth certainly has. Every character has a unique back story and everyone is interconnected, in a film that is full of intrigue and edge of your seat action. People may not know what a phone booth is anymore, but this film is far from outdated. It is an excellent edge of your seat thrill ride that is perfect for the person who wants a short, but exciting movie. Expand
  2. Nov 1, 2013
    An interesting and perhaps hidden ploy within ‘Phone Booth’ is its subconscious poke at those who lead a sinful and disillusioned life, it goes with the belief that such a life will catch up on you, this film obviously does this in a dramatic and ridiculous way, but it still throws a few stones in to ripple the water and give us a thought in the short running time of the movie, it takes place almost entirely within this area where the phone booth is, but keeps the pulse going with its sometimes unpredictable plot and mysterious caller. We are introduced to the fast talking publicist that is Stu Shepard, phone to the ear and barking various orders to his lackey, he lies and cheats his way through life, which comes back to bite him, he uses a pay phone to call his mistress Pamela (Katie Holmes) so as his wife Kelly (Radha Mitchell) is unaware when she checks his phone records, ruling out the possibility of her becoming aware of his adultery. What dear Stu doesn’t anticipate is answering the pay phone to a confidently spoken man who knows just about every single thing about our now edgy publicist, oh yeah and the man on the other line has a sniper pointed at Stu, under the illusion that Stu deserves to die for his life of shame and fakery, he’s essentially playing God and yet he is only a voice, but a commanding voice is also one not to be messed with, something that Stu finds out all to soon after a run in with some irritated street walkers and their pimp, his day just eta worse and worse. As the intention starts to grow on Stu and police start arriving, Captain Ramey (Forest Whitaker) starts figuring out that perhaps Stu is actually incapable of putting down the phone for fear of getting a bullet through his head, they are under the belief that Stu has a gun, yet aren’t completely sold on the whole story that they’re being fed. Director Joel Schumacher knows how to heighten the tension as he often focuses the camera on what appear to be menial objects at first, but soon play out to be much more vital, he also gives the whole thing a sense of humour, which is a nice touch. Most of the humour and tension comes from the voice on the phone, the anti-hero perhaps. The voice is Kiefer Sutherland, who brings a soft yet effective tone that is refreshing to listen to but menacing when need be. It becomes unclear wether he has any intention of killing Stu, but it makes the film much more enthralling when he never seems to lose his cool and has Stu in all sorts of knots, a snappy and enjoyable film that seems to hold so much more under the hood and has more pressing motives that it doesn’t play. Expand
  3. May 10, 2013
    An original and simply idea, yet filled with such thrilling moments that will keep you hooked to the front of your chair from start to finish. It shown the volnurability of ordinary people and how lies unfold, yet with a certain touch that keeps it interresting without ever losing any of its intentions.
  4. Apr 29, 2013
    This is one of my favourite movies. Firstly I am not a huge Colin Farrell fan and some of his acting can be ropey but he puts in a solid display. The brilliance of this film is the fact its so simple. It is basically one set. One man on camera emoting and then a voice on the other end of the line. Farrell shows his emotion and has a great range of these through the film. Some of the supporting cast in the more meaningless roles are not great but the key roles of Farrell, Whitaker and the brilliant Keifer Sutherland really make this film. Sutherland is by far the best performance as he is pretty much just a voice. He is menacing, funny, evil and sadistic all through his tones. This was pretty much his come back movie after his fall from grace and really impressed me. The plot is not all that deep but I would certainly tell people to watch this as I liked it for its simplicity. To make a film captivating when it is set in one location is impressive. Collapse
  5. Feb 27, 2012
    Solid acting by the experianced cast and it was interesting from start to finish as well, That is rare for a movie imo. The only flaw of the film is that it takes a little bit to get into but its still totally worth watching. I would recommend it.
  6. Nov 23, 2011
    I really liked this film. I thought it was interesting from start to finish. Good acting, Interesting story, and it all happens in a phone booth. Really good film.
  7. Sep 28, 2011
    "Phonebooth" demonstrates that Director Joel Schumacher, despite the massive Cliches and disjointed script he created, can actually direct decent movies.

At only 84 minutes, Phone Booth's brevity turns out to be its only saving grace.
    Schumacher's depictions of street life are cartoonishly ludicrous and riddled with cliches -- a pair of garish hookers, for instance, can't be excused simply because one is played with engaging vigor by Paula Jai Parker.
  3. The result is a movie that combines a seriousness of purpose with an impish delight in craft, in a way Hitchcock would have appreciated.