Sundance Selects | Release Date: December 23, 2011
7.3
Generally favorable reviews based on 32 Ratings
WATCH NOW
robbsreviewFeb 18, 2012
Very disappointing. Unless the sight of dirty, sweaty dancers is of interest, you will be turned off, as was I.
The movie offers little insight on Pina's life. Once again, "The emperor has NO clothes."
VotskomitJun 20, 2012
The dancing was fine, but the symbolism is always the same: Self doubt, sex, self doubt, relationships, self doubt, sex. And the costumes and sets are always about the same. Which gives me the impression that Pina is a one-trick-pony.

The

The dancers are asked to talk about Pina, but they only talk about themselves. After watching the documentary, I have learned nothing about Pina. And all the time, everyone had this inflated sense of how magically brilliantly super duper great Pina is. This is some of the most pretentious people I've ever seen.

But then, halfway through the movie, I realized that this film isn't a showcase or exploration of Pina at all. This film is a documentary about a dance-cult. This is a documentary about the self-doubting, upper-middle class children who were sucked into this bohemian cult of inflated self-importance and made to act out their own insecurities (in dance) for the one authoritarian figure they ever respected. Pina, whether she was aware of it or not, had become a sort of dance-prophet.