7.0

1. Apr 1, 2012
    The 3D presentation of this looks to me like the first movie actually made in the 21st century. As for some of the other comments here, I can only paraphrase Lincoln - "The good Lord must have loved the common-minded people. He made so many of them."
  2. Mar 9, 2012
    This film is an event, a piece of performance art, transcending film itself, in part through its creative and lovely use of 3D (which I generally think is a waste of time) and in part through its loving treatment of the film's subject, which is not Pina Bausch, but, in my view, the dancers who worked with her for decades and became co-choreographers with her. They explode across the screen in great excursions of ecstasy which have sent me home in wonder, yet again, at the beauty of being human.

But, please be forwarned, the film starts in more difficult territory with an early work of hers resetting Stravinsky's Rite of Spring, and it takes quite a while for the jovial heart of the film to be revealed. It is worth the wait, every bit, and while I was first completely lost and untouched by the work at the beginning, over the span of the film I came to feel a real understanding of what Bausch was reaching for, and how beautifully her work was realized in these wonderful, vulnerable, liberated human beings and their amazing dancing machines. Run, don't walk, to see Pina. That is all I have to say! ;-)
  3. Jan 16, 2012
    Engaging and fascinating. The film captures the wonders of Pina B's dance sense and her enigmatic character. The film flows well, uses imaginative settings for the scenes, gives you glimpses into the varied backgrounds of the dancers and leaves you enchanted. Wonderfully done.

1. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    Mar 2, 2012
    While Pina will undoubtedly be well-received by modern-dance devotees, it does little to take advantage of the enormous opportunity to open the door for newcomers.
  2. Reviewed by: Calvin Wilson
    Feb 10, 2012
    The result, Pina, is the most spirited and spectacular film about dance since Robert Altman's "The Company."
  3. Reviewed by: Richard Nilsen
    Feb 9, 2012
    For anyone with an interest in dance, Pina is a must-see. For anyone not interested in contemporary dance, Pina is a should-see. It could change your mind.