Ping Pong Playa

7.6

1. edh
    Jan 1, 2009
    A funny and entertaining film. Jimmy Tsai is a talented writer and actor, but his portrayal of Christopher Wang suffers from his "I think I'm black" mentality. That said Wang has some pretty hilarious riffs on whiteboys. Definitely worth the time to watch.
  2. DanH.
    Sep 1, 2008
    Absolutely hilarious! Jimmy Tsai plays his role as Christopher Wang (aka C-Dub) perfectly.
  3. luzidp
    Sep 9, 2008
    I saw this at a film fest many months ago and really enjoyed it. It parodies the sport genre movies, doesn't take itself too seriously. Usually movies featuring men who act like over grown ten-year-olds really annoy me, but the Christopher Wang character made me laugh.
  4. BillB
    Sep 12, 2008
    I really, really wanted to like this movie but it just became an Asian sports movie. I felt like it should have ended every 30 seconds and been a commercial.
  5. Mar 26, 2011
    I loved this movie. I just watched the Venom commercials that inspired it. And inspired it was. Jessica Yu and Jimmy Tsai with the support of their excellent producers scored high with this a winner in my opinion. It's on Netflix if you missed it at the movies.
  6. Apr 23, 2015
    This was a relatively smart indie comedy that had some parts that were quite funny. I loved the fact that it was a jab at racism; the funniest jokes were attacking Asian stereotypes. This is a great time, and it goes by quickly, so if you have nothing else to do, then check this out on Netflix.

1. This thin premise can't sustain a feature, and the racial and gay jokes are jarring, but the child actors are cute, especially Andrew.
  2. Reviewed by: Justin Lowe
    Tsai, who co-wrote the script with Yu, pulls out all the stops with his C-dub role, brimming with witty send-ups of Chinese-American cultural values and Asian stereotypes.
  3. Reviewed by: Peter Debruge
    A good, clean, fun comedy that uses a table tennis championship to crack inside jokes about Los Angeles' Chinese-American community.