5.9

1. Oct 18, 2014
    In the follow-up to Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest, we find our heroes Will Turner (Bloom) and Eizabeth Swann (Knightley) allied with Captain Barbossa (Rush) in a desperate quest to free Captain Jack Sparrow (Depp) from his mind-bending trap in Davy Jones Locker while the terrifying ghost ship, The Flying Dutchman and Davy Jones, under the control of the East India TradingIn the follow-up to Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest, we find our heroes Will Turner (Bloom) and Eizabeth Swann (Knightley) allied with Captain Barbossa (Rush) in a desperate quest to free Captain Jack Sparrow (Depp) from his mind-bending trap in Davy Jones Locker while the terrifying ghost ship, The Flying Dutchman and Davy Jones, under the control of the East India Trading Company, wreaks havoc across the seven seas. Expand
  2. Aug 25, 2014
    If you didn't much care for the previous parts of "The Pirates of the Caribbean" franchise, I don't think you should see this. Then again, if you are a fan, this is definitely a treat for you - although of a different kind than you may have hoped.

Much different than the earlier movies. The plotting gets ahead of the viewer at times, and there are more... bizarre elements. The

Much different than the earlier movies.

The beginning is different than you may have expected, but don't feel discouraged by that. Keep watching. The movie doesn't get boring, even if some of the fighting scenes are drawn out and a lot harder to follow than in the previous movies. The style just isn't the same anymore. Something is missing; the clarity and style that defined the movie in "The Curse of the Black Pearl", and which they still held onto in "Dead Man's Chest".

Special note towards Orlando Bloom's Will: he was a total surprise in this movie, even if the end wasn't as shocking as it could be. His story and struggle were far more interesting to me than the rest of the stuff going on.

There were hints suggesting towards the end of the movie thrown around during the course of the movie, but you do not recognize them before the end. Also, a special attention should be paid attention to the sword that Will made in the first movie; it resurfaces. The end of the movie is very nicely solved! My applauses for that - and deepest thanks for not ruining it with the traditional "heroes win it all".

Ye have been warned!

On another note, there were some really bad aspects to this movie: Jack's "hallucinations" in the Locker were totally ridiculous, in my opinion; that is my least favorite part in the whole trilogy. To the same category falls the scene with Calypso in her own form, which just... well, it didn't work, which is such a waste, but it was definitely better than Jack with his dozen versions that don't really make sense. Elizabeth was still disappointing. Suddenly she has grown into a pirate, with all the traits, and I just like her less and less every time I see her, sorry. The way they try to force comedy into some scenes, overdoing it at the same time, didn't work either. It would seem that the magic of the Caribbean is slowly fading... but not completely.
  3. Aug 24, 2014
    We continue to be roused... but, unfortunately, not positively enough. The best part is, perhaps, Keith Richards as father to our beloved Capt. Jack Sparrow. Guess they should've given him more screen time.
  4. Aug 9, 2014
    Calypso is one of the greatest disappointments in this unsatisfying finale. Once again, exceptional CGI, but nothing else, everything seems too familiar. Enjoyable, for sure, but with a commonplace plot with lots of predictable twists, "At World's End" struggles to make up for a weak predecessor, but hardly succeeds.
  5. Jun 11, 2014
    It gets a 7 for being entirely entertaining for 1h12 minutes. At World's End's first plot, which is rescuing Jack Sparrow from Davy Jones' locker, is entirely entertaining. By itself.

The rest of the movie is a series of events that are unfortunately disconnected and fail to be brought together into a clear narrative at any point. I suppose I could try to explain the plot and ruin your

I suppose I could try to explain the plot and ruin your mind, but I'm not feeling like making you lose the time: it's simply convoluted as possible, it tries to tie in the classic PotC pirate antics with betrayals and accords, the bumbling(if not dying) love story between Will Turner(Orlando Bloom) and Elizabeth Swann(Keira Knightley) and a...war against a fascist regime represented by the East India Company with the Pirates of the world being the rebels?

I'm not even sure if they proofread their plot, but it is essentially two movies in one, and in the second of these movies, they try to cram in far too many plot points and elements together in one go. The "good free Rebel Pirates VS Evil EIC Empire" being a particularly jarring one as pirates were never supposed to be heroes of justice, nor was the Navy the Stormtroopers or Beckett Darth Vader...

The acting never made me roll my eyes, except maybe get a little stupid when Orlando Bloom tries to act like he's in love, and the musical score and general cinematography is certainly interesting, but that does not justify the very poor pacing and seriously flawed plots of this movie.

Honestly if it had been me doing it, At World's End would've been rescuing Jack Sparrow only, which I would've stretched from 1h10 minutes to 2h10 minutes with more action and a more varied story, and a double cliffhanger at the end that William wants to save his dad and that the EIC wants to truly take over the world, Star Wars Empire style. And the rest of the current movie would've been the 4th movie.

What a mess. AWE still gets a seven for more than one hour of great entertainment, but for the rest, you have to take footnotes to understand the plot.
  6. May 11, 2014
    While it's most certainly not as good as the first two films, POTC: At World's End is still enjoyable which both it's action and it's humor of course, however this film may have been a bit "overdone" in my opinion. I mean this was one of the most, if not THE most expensive movie ever made costing a whopping $300 million to make! Not to mention both the story and drama are a bit on theWhile it's most certainly not as good as the first two films, POTC: At World's End is still enjoyable which both it's action and it's humor of course, however this film may have been a bit "overdone" in my opinion. I mean this was one of the most, if not THE most expensive movie ever made costing a whopping $300 million to make! Not to mention both the story and drama are a bit on the edge, and not in a good way. This film is also pretty long, almost 3 hours long actually. So while this still was enjoyable and had it's moments, the crew for this movie should have just calmed down a bit while making this film, but I still can easily recommend this to fans of the film series. Expand
  7. May 5, 2014
    This was well.....bad. I didnt think POTC could reach such lows. but they did. I guess that is what hppens when you milk the crap out of a franchise that shouldnt have gone on so long. 2 films would have been fine
  8. Feb 6, 2014
    It might not be one of the best Pirates of the Caribbean movies ever, but it's an highly entertaining and exiting movie with cool scenes that just are stunning.

Positive arguments: Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End got a great story, and the movie itself is very well made, and sometimes I even got stunned on how great this movie is made. It also contains some spectacular things

Positive arguments:
    Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End got a great story, and the movie itself is very well made, and sometimes I even got stunned on how great this movie is made. It also contains some spectacular things that I haven't seen in movies before, and from my point of view is that one of the most important thing in all movies. The film have a good beginning and ending, even thought the beginning could have had a higher tempo. The actors thought, couldn't have been more awesome as they are, and I'm still fascinated by Johnny Depp's weird acting, and I really enjoy him!

Negative arguments:
    The first bad thing I noticed in this movie is the beginning, it didn't have an exiting start, and the movie overall felt a little lengthy at some places. Another bad thing is that sometimes the movie felt a little silly, and I'm really disappointed in the music in this movie, because it wasn't that thrilling in comparison of the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie. The tempo might have been a little higher because it felt a little lengthy a some places, but it also felt a little confusing sometimes.

Overall is this a spectacular movie, but it got some big mistakes, and it feels like that Disney is slowly loosing the touch of these movies. But I really recommend this movie for everyone, because it's a great movie!

Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End gets a 7/10
  9. Dec 23, 2013
    Slightly better than it's predecessor but still nowhere near as good as the first film. Depp is still good in the lead but that's not enough to fully save the film. The main reason, in my opinion that this is better that Pirates 2 is that the new characters are more interesting and the action sequences are less drawn out and boring. All and all though it is upsetting that a film saga thatSlightly better than it's predecessor but still nowhere near as good as the first film. Depp is still good in the lead but that's not enough to fully save the film. The main reason, in my opinion that this is better that Pirates 2 is that the new characters are more interesting and the action sequences are less drawn out and boring. All and all though it is upsetting that a film saga that started out with so much promise ended up like this. Expand
  10. Dec 10, 2013
    Whilst definitely not as good as The Curse of the Black Pearl, most movies never live up to their predecessors. The story may seem confusing, but pay attention and even a younger person could follow it. The action scenes (yes, very few, for this was story driven) were amazing, and Johnny Depp brought his usual comedy to the board. 7/10 for the movie, and +1/10 for pirates. XD
  11. Nov 13, 2013
    I was waiting for the World to End.
    The third installment of Pirates of the Caribbean starts again with the witty drunken pirate Jack Sparrow and ends again confused and baffled as usual. The script is dreadful, the film is boring, and the action is well, non existent.
  12. Nov 5, 2013
    "Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End" is the third movie in the series. The movie, at almost three hours, is far too overlong. The story is so densely-plotted that if you miss ten minutes of the movie, it will leave you totally confused. But the action is exhilarating, epic and hugely action-packed. This explains the $300 million budget used for the movie.
  13. Nov 2, 2013
    I enjoyed the film more than its predecessor, which was over-melodramatic and monotonous. But the corny love stories are oddly tepid, and it results in the same monotonous sojourn it's predecessor gave. But Johnny Depp made up for everything
  14. Oct 27, 2013
    if the two first film of the pirates of the caribbean were nice this third one was an disapointment for a lot of people,now gore verbinski doesn't have nothing to do and he make this film.
  15. Oct 8, 2013
    An improvement on the second movie, but still not as good as the first one.

As usual, effect are top notch, story is far more interesting this time round, yet also feels like more of the same at the same time. Knightly has perhaps the most interesting character as she really has changed allot since the first movie. I really did like seeing that development. Bloom is boring and very
    An improvement on the second movie, but still not as good as the first one.

Knightly has perhaps the most interesting character as she really has changed allot since the first movie. I really did like seeing that development. Bloom is boring and very hard to sympathize with, aside from the end where he does grow a little. Depp is just doing yet another fantastic Jack Sparrow.

Overall: At World's End was good. It had allot of flaws but most were forgivable. An Epic finish to this chapter of the PotC franchise.
  16. Sep 19, 2013
    The third installment to the series isn't as exciting as the first two, but it still packs the punch of the series and has enough action to keep you occupied. The dramatic scenes are caught in the throws of desperateness, and they seem like action movie filler compared to the first two.
  17. Aug 30, 2013
    The third and most thrilling chapter of the trilogy!!! I really enjoyed it and I am going to watch it for a 10th time today!! Do not miss it!! Enjoy Pirates of The Caribbean like never before!! Actually, all the four chapters of Pirates of The Caribbean are excellent!
  18. Jul 29, 2013
    Piratas del caribe en el fin del mundo es buena, con nuevas ideas buenas luchas y una excelente fotografia walt disney se ha motivado sin embargo no hay porque meterle una boda en una guerra en el barco ni mucho menos mas ridicules a Jack sparrow baja el nivel respecto lo que venia siendo
  19. Jul 14, 2013
    While it is a bit long, the film is still spectacular! I love the direction and fresh, new feel of this film. The music is new and fresh (but keeps the old as well- Hans Zimmer really does amazing for this one), the acting is awesome (Johnny Depp once again does not disappoint), the script is witty and well written (expect for a certain love triangle would be my only criticism) and theWhile it is a bit long, the film is still spectacular! I love the direction and fresh, new feel of this film. The music is new and fresh (but keeps the old as well- Hans Zimmer really does amazing for this one), the acting is awesome (Johnny Depp once again does not disappoint), the script is witty and well written (expect for a certain love triangle would be my only criticism) and the visuals are epic. I personally loved this film and think it is a great entry into the fantastic Pirates series. Expand
  20. Jul 6, 2013
    It is a very long and quite complex movie, but still I enjoyed it. I just like the series and still thought it had all the great qualities of the first two. I suggest watching it twice before making a final judgement.
  21. Jul 3, 2013
    Overall, an improvement over Dead Man's Chest. It suffers from somewhat excessive complexity and a rushed, "Return of the Jedi", "oh god we don't have time to wrap up all these loose ends, staple separate plots together and call it a day" kind of feel, but there's a constant sense that the movie is moving towards its conclusion, unlike Dead Man's Chest which seemed to just drift freely inOverall, an improvement over Dead Man's Chest. It suffers from somewhat excessive complexity and a rushed, "Return of the Jedi", "oh god we don't have time to wrap up all these loose ends, staple separate plots together and call it a day" kind of feel, but there's a constant sense that the movie is moving towards its conclusion, unlike Dead Man's Chest which seemed to just drift freely in whatever direction it felt like. The huge final battle is excellent, and the film's final third in general is its strongest, but it fails to live up to the first film, even if it beats out the second. Expand
  22. Jun 30, 2013
    There is a lot going on in the third instalment of this hugely successful franchise, and the final one of the continuing story from the the second entry. While still not capturing or even replicating the original, but it is mountains better than the Dead Man's Chest, and while you can't really miss a single minute for fear completely losing your place in this often puzzling and denselyThere is a lot going on in the third instalment of this hugely successful franchise, and the final one of the continuing story from the the second entry. While still not capturing or even replicating the original, but it is mountains better than the Dead Man's Chest, and while you can't really miss a single minute for fear completely losing your place in this often puzzling and densely populated film, it is still very long, much longer than it should have been.
    There is a lot to keep up with but after the climax of the original film, a crew sets out to rescue Jack from Davy Jones Locker, a place of nothing, to be punished, as expanded cast member Tia Dalma (Naomi Harris) outlines. But also afoot is the attempt to call the Brethren court, a pirate organisation made of all pirate lords to bring about the end of the East India Trading Company's rain of terror across the seas, led by their new pet Davy Jones (Bill Nighy), whose heart is owned by said company, hence his actions.
    Captain Jack, meanwhile, mentally rots away as he wonders exactly where he is and if the things going on around him are truly real, his comical and whimsical attitude is again excellently performed through Johnny Depp, his character has indeed stood the test of the three films, and he is the most enjoyable thing to look forward to in this.
    With that thought, there is again a lot of pointless and time-consuming elements of the film that contribute little to the cause, and with the continuing mutiny and rebellious nature of both Elizabeth Swan and Will Turner make it difficult give any sort of sympathy towards them. Their heightening love story within the film is distracting and too much emphasis is placed upon it, deterring from the more enjoyable aspects.
    It is Jack and the returning Geoffrey Rush as Captain Barbosa that truly maintain the flashes of greatness from the original, Jack and his long conversations with himself, or Barbosa and his typical pirate nature, mix that in with a plot that although complex, does give the incentive to watch over again.
    As visuals go, this is a true spectacle in front of you, beautiful, marvellous and a delight to the eyes, the final battle in particular is breathtaking, ships, pirates and storms galore. Effects an marvels don't get much bigger than this, combined with an impressive score.
    Not as captivating as the original, quite lengthy with many unnecessary moments and the same goes for characters, but certainly better than the second with an impressive finale, epic set pieces characters staying true to their roots and continuing powerful performances from Depp, Rush and Nighy, oh and a cameo from a particular Rolling Stone, make this quite a worthwhile and explosive third showing.
  23. Feb 15, 2013
    I think the character of the Singaporean pirate was underutilized. Elizabeth gaining influence was too lucky for me to be plausible. Beckett, however, hits the mark again. I expected more of Norrington after watching him develop in the course of the previous film. The movie failed to pit the pirates against the navy after introducing us to the Brethren Court, which was disappointing. ItI think the character of the Singaporean pirate was underutilized. Elizabeth gaining influence was too lucky for me to be plausible. Beckett, however, hits the mark again. I expected more of Norrington after watching him develop in the course of the previous film. The movie failed to pit the pirates against the navy after introducing us to the Brethren Court, which was disappointing. It was rarely fun and melodramatic. The ending was botched. I wouldn't mind an anticlimactic ending if it is done well. The movie as a whole was a lost opportunity in my view. They could have gone out in style. Expand
  24. Jan 23, 2013
    Bored and a little bad. The worst of the series.
  25. Nov 18, 2012
    A cacophony of swashbuckling tedium. Stodgy throughout and suffers because it's taking itself far too seriously, the worst culprit for me being Keira Knightley's dreadful overacting. Forgettable.
  26. Nov 9, 2012
    Wow, the writers were really at a loss here. What we have here is a moneymaker without plot or purpose.
  27. Sep 9, 2012
    The first movie was exciting, the second was epic in special effects. This one had some cheesy down moments, and there great moments. But overall i think this movie was spectacular, and its a Best picture nomination in my book.
  28. Sep 1, 2012
    It's a hearty watch...once every 10 years and a bottle of rum down the hatch, that is. Yo-ho! Before watching, I might add, one should note that there's a giant black lady involved. Aye, there be uncharted waters ahead. Scallywags, be warned.
  29. Aug 6, 2012
    This movie had too many characters and too many boring scenes where it's not even close for a largest epic cast. Only the beginning and the last 45 minutes of the longest movie in the series are epic but this movie doesn't really need redundant scenes and some parts of the story are just irreverent.
  30. Jun 11, 2012
    The first film in the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise was great: Unfortunately, as the sequels were released, the whole thing went downhill from there.

The last 60 minutes offer adventure as rousing as anything provided in either of the previous installments. Unfortunately, that doesn't account for the other 108 minutes of this gorged, self-indulgent, and uneven production.
  2. Reviewed by: Helen O'Hara
    The plot's a trippy, twisty mess, and it's far too long, but it looks fantastic and makes some bold choices in its execution. And once again Jack's back to save the day.
  3. Reviewed by: Brian Lowry
    The third voyage in the "Priates" trilogy could be touted as "The biggest, loudest and second-best (or second-worst) 'Pirates' ever!" -- not necessarily a ringing endorsement, but honest.