6.1

1. RobertH
    May 30, 2007
    A morose tone, messy narrative, and superfluous subplots make this a real disappointment. The summer season has definitely seen better films.
  2. KyleH
    Jun 2, 2007
    It pretty much comes down to this: Do you like pirates? Do you like Johnny Depp? Do you like Keira Knightly? Do you like escapism? Can you not be cynical for 2 1/2 hours? If you answered "no" to any of these questions, save yourself the time and save us from having to listen to you complain.
  3. guy!
    Sep 5, 2007
    Kinda strange, really long and complex, but if you're one of those guys who love non-stop, completely intense, in-your-face action; then this is your movie.
  4. Philter137
    May 27, 2007
    Sadly, this movie was a big disappointment for me. There were some good aspects - the sets, costumes and special effects were excellent and deserve to be recognised for their technical complexity and flawlessness, BUT... the story was unsteady, unengaging and at times difficult to follow. The dialouge was forgettable, the humor was tired, the peformances mostly lacklustre. The worst error Sadly, this movie was a big disappointment for me. There were some good aspects - the sets, costumes and special effects were excellent and deserve to be recognised for their technical complexity and flawlessness, BUT... the story was unsteady, unengaging and at times difficult to follow. The dialouge was forgettable, the humor was tired, the peformances mostly lacklustre. The worst error was the pacing - long unmoving conversations that failed to draw you into the story, followed by action sequences that built up too quickly to a fever pitch and stayed there forever, a steady stream of exaggerated feats and narrow escapes, one after the other, over and over and over - the result; a solid wall of audio and video noise that quickly became boring. Expand
  5. KoreyW.
    May 29, 2007
    Movie was a little bit long. If you can understand what is happening with jack and the others then it's a very good movie. Plenty of room though to make it very hard to follow. Good effects and a little more violent than most disney movies.
  6. Elena
    Jun 3, 2007
    Discombobulated from the original. Just a lot of special effects to take advantage of the first Pirates and separate us, the suckers, from our hard earned money. What did P T Barnum once say.
  7. WilliamH
    May 29, 2007
    All I kind think afterword was I want 3 hours of my life back.
  8. Bobbie
    May 31, 2007
    Totally lame without any chemistry. Wooden acting and quite frankly too long and boring.
  9. AricM.
    May 30, 2007
    This movie left me angry. A complete waste of time.
  10. DaveW.
    May 24, 2007
    More proof that Pirates should have been left as a single film (just like the Matrix) the sequels only dilute what a brilliant film the original was. Its just too long and rambling, the whole cast to use from the first but it has no sparkle or any really great moments, shame.
  11. FabioP.
    May 25, 2007
    Good Lord, that was disappointing. I loved Curse of the black pearl and liked Dead man's chest, but this was really horrible. There's no script at all, and the whole movie is an utterly boring sequence of dialogues which barely have sense. No wit, no humour, and most of all NO ACTION: in 2 hours and 40 minutes, only the last part is somewhat exciting, even if uninspired. Oh, and Good Lord, that was disappointing. I loved Curse of the black pearl and liked Dead man's chest, but this was really horrible. There's no script at all, and the whole movie is an utterly boring sequence of dialogues which barely have sense. No wit, no humour, and most of all NO ACTION: in 2 hours and 40 minutes, only the last part is somewhat exciting, even if uninspired. Oh, and did i mention that the characters act like they were psychos, changing their minds every five minutes? This was everything a pirate action movie SHOULD'NT be. Expand
  12. RichardH
    May 25, 2007
    Too long, boring, rubbish script, loads of waffling, retarded ending, etc. etc. On the plus side, it does finish eventually.
  13. BrianDuggan
    May 28, 2007
    Horrible mess of a movie. The plot made hardly any sense. No emotional connection to the actors. And way too over-the-top and long. However, Jerry's special effects team does wonders. Too bad they didn't apply the same level of skill to the film's script.
  14. GregS.
    May 28, 2007
    Long, confusing, and at times, boring. I actually fell asleep at one point
  15. JennyH.
    May 29, 2007
    Absolutely retarded movie. Very poorly plotted and convoluted. I'm not sure the writers could even followed the plot of their own movie.
  16. Jun 11, 2011
    This third installment continues the last adventure of Elizabeth Swann and Will Turner as they, along with the resurrected Barbossa, try to find Jack Sparrow, who got killed in the last movie and is now in the land of the dead. As the pirate ships plan to release the goddess Calypso, Davy Jones's lover, the crew seek the help of Sao Feng and all of the pirate lords and must fight for theirThis third installment continues the last adventure of Elizabeth Swann and Will Turner as they, along with the resurrected Barbossa, try to find Jack Sparrow, who got killed in the last movie and is now in the land of the dead. As the pirate ships plan to release the goddess Calypso, Davy Jones's lover, the crew seek the help of Sao Feng and all of the pirate lords and must fight for their final stand against Beckett, Jones, Norrington, the Flying Dutchman and East India Trading Company while also finding Will Turner's father as well.

(sigh) What?! I only missed two of the sequels to a great movie? UGH! Oh, well. Now to get to my opinion. Like the previous movie, it's not as good as the first.

The dialogue was bad (again), The storytelling was rushed (again), and the storyline was very tiresome. That's it for the bad.

The good things are: The actors did very well at their performances, The CGI was even more cooler, The action was way more better, and the cinematography was a lot of fun.

Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End may not be one of the best movies of 2007, but like the second installment, it is also a worthy follow up to a great movie with strong performances and fond farewells to Orlando Bloom and Kiera Knightley.

17. Dec 11, 2011
    "At World's End" script is clearly lacking some sense of purpose or direction. Director Gore Verbinski succeeds at sometimes overwhelming me with spectacular action sequences but he can't make the convoluted plot to take off. My positive score goes to Depp, Knightley and Rush who are awesome as always.
  18. Mar 16, 2015
    This was not a bad movie. It was not even close to a bad movie. The action was incredible, and Hans Zimmer created an incredible score. The last 30 minutes are great, if a little sad. However, every joke is taken from the first two movies. Johnny Depp's performance has now gotten completely old, despite being really good. The plot is ridiculously confusing and Keira Knightely has to do theThis was not a bad movie. It was not even close to a bad movie. The action was incredible, and Hans Zimmer created an incredible score. The last 30 minutes are great, if a little sad. However, every joke is taken from the first two movies. Johnny Depp's performance has now gotten completely old, despite being really good. The plot is ridiculously confusing and Keira Knightely has to do the same thing about four times. It's a shame because she's really hot. Good movie but definitely not as good as the first two. Expand
  19. Sep 9, 2015
    Seriously? A 50% Metascore? This is the second best in the franchise! A good story, an awesome villain, and one of the most epic climaxes in movie history! This is ******* brilliant!
  20. Mar 24, 2016
    This is a huge improvement over its predecessor, and remains more understandable. It also brings back a great story, will keeping the pirate spirit still intact.
  21. Dec 30, 2011
    Again the story gets emotionally well written at the heart of the movie, but it isn't very well told so the movie definitely suffers. Although it benefits from amazing performance, breathtaking visuals, clever humor which only makes sense if you have seen the first two installments and a great ending well supposed to be ending for an unforgettable franchise. I give this movie 60%.
  22. Jan 12, 2011
    Stunning, absolutely stunning in all ways... UN-describable awesome story and incredible swash-buckling action and it's just... Brilliant and.... WOW
  23. IGiveUp
    Jun 4, 2007
    Too long, impossible to follow, no chemistry, wooden acting, and a lame script. Other than that this trash was wonderful.
  24. Sep 24, 2011
    Man, the story is getting dumber...
  25. RobbyT.
    Dec 7, 2007
    Depp and Rush seem to be the only ones to realize what kind of movie they're really in: a $300 million third installment of a franchise based on a ride at Disney World. Chow-Yun Fat's character is completely useless and Knightley's performance is absurd. Everytime she yelled, "FIRE!" I almost laughed out loud. Overall it is better than the treading water of Dead Man's Depp and Rush seem to be the only ones to realize what kind of movie they're really in: a $300 million third installment of a franchise based on a ride at Disney World. Chow-Yun Fat's character is completely useless and Knightley's performance is absurd. Everytime she yelled, "FIRE!" I almost laughed out loud. Overall it is better than the treading water of Dead Man's Chest, but that isn't saying much. Expand
  26. IainM.
    Jun 15, 2007
    The longest 3 hours of my life, summed up in 3 words - silly, long, dull.
  27. OrvilleS.
    Jun 6, 2007
    Unforgivably dull and long. Vapid performances. Please, let's end this series of movies at 3. Don't do a fourth!
  28. DirkM.
    Jun 5, 2007
    Uninspired storytelling with few laughs. The chemistry between the actors from the first two movies is non-existent in this one. The efforts to shove Depp's charm down our throat was insulting at best.
  29. Dwight
    May 28, 2007
    I only have one question after watching nearly three hours of this disconnected garbage. What was the Director thinking? How in hell can you release something this bad? Someone, anyone in charge had to see how truly awful this was. Avoid at all costs.
  30. Aug 6, 2012
    This movie had too many characters and too many boring scenes where it's not even close for a largest epic cast. Only the beginning and the last 45 minutes of the longest movie in the series are epic but this movie doesn't really need redundant scenes and some parts of the story are just irreverent.
  31. May 28, 2011
    This movie is the weakest of the pirates of the Caribbean franchise. The movie is even more complicated than the second one. They also add a lot of stuff,and a lot of things happen off screen. However it still a fun movie.
  32. Jun 12, 2011
    Pirates of the Caribbean (1) was an amazing movie. Pirates of Caribbean (2) was an ok movie. Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End is a horrible movie. It's too long, the story is dull and even Jack Sparrow can't save this one.
  33. Nov 18, 2012
    A cacophony of swashbuckling tedium. Stodgy throughout and suffers because it's taking itself far too seriously, the worst culprit for me being Keira Knightley's dreadful overacting. Forgettable.
  34. Mar 25, 2012
    The 3rd installment is completly messed up. The movie is even longer and even more complicated. Nobody knows what is going on and the characters have become wood and phonny. Actions scenes are a bore and sorry Jack but even you can't save this completed mess that people call a movie.
  35. Nov 9, 2012
    Wow, the writers were really at a loss here. What we have here is a moneymaker without plot or purpose.
  36. SonnyS.
    May 24, 2007
    The fight at the end was good the rest of the film dragged and didn't make arny sense.
  37. DavidS.
    May 24, 2007
    Like the 2nd installment, this one wasn't very good. Lacks the humor and heart of the original.
  38. CCM.
    May 28, 2007
    At first I was confused. But I have to admit, I still loved it. I see no problem with it except for the part where Lord Beckett goes down with his ship. Too much. Well anyway I enjoyed it, WATCH IT!
  39. Ryencoke
    May 28, 2007
    Haha, oh man was this bad. I had no idea what was going on this movie at all. The only good thing about it was easily Johnny Depp & Kieth Richards. The first one was the only good one. Hollywood's usual "Let's try to sell-out".
  40. ChristianH.
    May 28, 2007
    A huge improvement to Dead Man's Chest!
  41. BrianM
    May 30, 2007
    Not as fun as the first one, but I was impressed by the complexity of the story line and some of the twists in the plot. Would have been better had it been shorter. It was a lot of set up, but the action at the end was a pretty good payoff.
  42. SrikanthK.
    Jun 25, 2007
    Simply an awesome movie. The 1st half was a bit slow filling up the gaps of the dead man's chest but the second half simply rocked. It completely ROCKED with that climax and a superb twist at the end didn't expect it at all. i give it best of the three parts
  43. JuanM.
    Jun 3, 2007
    Movie was very long, very convoluted, complicated to understand.
  44. JamesA.
    Jun 30, 2007
    A funny and good film. Daring for a Disney film, as it starts with a hanging scene and has a totally-white Captain Jack Sparrow scene -- not often seen in a mainstream Hollywood production.
  45. MattE
    Jun 4, 2007
    Good final installment of the series. the plot twists can get a little hard to follow but not overwhelming. good action sequences. Definitely go see this film.
  46. Tony
    Jun 4, 2007
    Well, I have to say I don't blame people who rated this movie low. This is after all a space for critics and if you chose to critique the thing that is "movie" you will have to concede points about character development and overall plot. That said, I was still entertained by this movie! Its a fun ride, with hammy characters and fun action scenes. The ending sequence with the pearl Well, I have to say I don't blame people who rated this movie low. This is after all a space for critics and if you chose to critique the thing that is "movie" you will have to concede points about character development and overall plot. That said, I was still entertained by this movie! Its a fun ride, with hammy characters and fun action scenes. The ending sequence with the pearl and the dutchman is worth the wait. Pirates fighting, monkeys being shot our of canons and huge explosions... all in all, fun! Expand
  47. SteveK
    Jun 6, 2007
    I am not confused about the plot, but I am befuddled by all the negative reviews. I will say this: do yourself a favor and watch the last 15 minutes of Pirates I and all of Pirates II before you see this one. You will find that the plot is actually not that confusing, it's just that most of us have a hard time remembering what happened the last time around if it's been almost a I am not confused about the plot, but I am befuddled by all the negative reviews. I will say this: do yourself a favor and watch the last 15 minutes of Pirates I and all of Pirates II before you see this one. You will find that the plot is actually not that confusing, it's just that most of us have a hard time remembering what happened the last time around if it's been almost a year. If you can follow the plot, just hang on and enjoy the ride. This movie is a return to true-swashbuckling form with everything one would want in a Pirates' movie. The last one got a little too dark for my taste. This is a *MILD SPOILER* but you should know that they unceremoniously dump the Kraken. You should know that going in, so you won't be too disappointed when it happens... er, more like doesn't happen. There is great atmosphere, some jaw-dropping scenes, spectacular battles, and quite a few funny moments, but again.... Review the movies before you watch!!! If you are scratching your head over the plot, you will miss out on the ride! (I think this is why people have had such negative reactions... they can't follow the movie, therefore they can't fully commit to the ride that Pirates takes you on. If you can't commit to a logical story, it's so much harder to suspend your disbelief, then the acting seems off and the action scenes seem pointless) This movie, indeed the whole series, is about enjoying a ride, much like at a theme park. This is a much more satisfying, enjoyable, and well-crafted third chapter to a series than say Spider-Man 3. Expand
  48. KrisS.
    Jun 7, 2007
    Generally entertaining throughout but incomprehensible and overlong. Lovely cinematography with a surrealist tinge.
  49. JluaU
    Jun 8, 2007
    What these pirates have mostly killed is their creator's inspiration. No story, no inspiration, no dialog, and no good writing. A sequence of meaningless scenes spiced with special effects. Frankly, it's sad to think of the waste of good workmanship, in the middle of creative nothingness.
  50. JessicaW.
    Feb 9, 2008
    Lacked the much loved characteristics of the characters.
  51. mixmastajb
    Oct 13, 2007
    I am at a complete loss as to how anyone can defend this film. "In your face action," (which, in reality, it was far from) cannot make up for the very very poorly laid out plotpoints. I did not know what was going on more than half the time.
  52. DarshanS.
    May 24, 2007
    A fitting end that parallels the first...
  53. OlgaG.
    May 24, 2007
    In whole the movie's the best, Barbossa forever, but the script is a nightmare.
  54. JudyT.
    May 25, 2007
    The ending redeems an over long, overly CGI laden, under use of good actors and over use of unecessary characters mess. I didn't buy Elizabeth as a pirate captain or monarchy one bit. She was enough to give women a bad name until the end.
  55. JaredB.
    May 25, 2007
    A great addition to a fabulous series. I am very suprised to see so many people speaking badly against this movie. Definately one of the best movies of the summer. A great way to start off the summer season. ***Note: Make sure to stay until after the credits roll for a bonus scene!!!***
  56. Mich
    May 25, 2007
    It was very long and a hard to follow. I had no clue what was happening during the first half of the film due to slurred dialogue and too-close-up action shots. Also, multiple-Captain Jacks got on my nerves. Now it's the next day, and I'm still confused about what I saw, what happened and what it was even about. I couldn't get into the urgency of the story because I It was very long and a hard to follow. I had no clue what was happening during the first half of the film due to slurred dialogue and too-close-up action shots. Also, multiple-Captain Jacks got on my nerves. Now it's the next day, and I'm still confused about what I saw, what happened and what it was even about. I couldn't get into the urgency of the story because I didn't understand the story, or how it related to the previous two--which in turn, made me care less about the fate of the characters. Johnny had his shining moments as in all the other Pirates, but as with all sequels, we've seen it before. Warning: Be in the mood to see this film when you go. If you're the slightest bit hesitant about a 3 hour Pirates flick, wait! Expand
  57. NatashaW.
    May 25, 2007
    Pretty good. Not as good as the 2nd one.
  58. KariM.
    May 25, 2007
    Awesome Movie better then the 2nd!!
  59. GizzyR.
    May 26, 2007
    I absoluetly loved this movie! i love all of its twists and turns. Johnny Depp is without a doubt HILARIOUS! i love the fact that they explain all of the characters in this installment. The battle scenes were amazingly well. There was a lot of Jack Sparrow in this movie, what more could a girl ask for! Over all i think this was the funniest installment of the pirates trilogy and isI absoluetly loved this movie! i love all of its twists and turns. Johnny Depp is without a doubt HILARIOUS! i love the fact that they explain all of the characters in this installment. The battle scenes were amazingly well. There was a lot of Jack Sparrow in this movie, what more could a girl ask for! Over all i think this was the funniest installment of the pirates trilogy and is definitely one of the best movies of the year. Expand
  60. AlpanaR.
    May 26, 2007
    I haven't written a review on here before, but this movie was SO BAD that I felt like I had to warn others away. I was pretty familiar with the previous two installments, having seen both more than once, but I was confused throughout the movie. The first hour was totally unnecessary and boring and I basically lost my interest for the rest of the movie. It was not humorous, and hardly I haven't written a review on here before, but this movie was SO BAD that I felt like I had to warn others away. I was pretty familiar with the previous two installments, having seen both more than once, but I was confused throughout the movie. The first hour was totally unnecessary and boring and I basically lost my interest for the rest of the movie. It was not humorous, and hardly anyone laughed in the whole theater. I wish I had read/listened to more reviews before wasting my $11. Expand
  61. GameraX
    May 26, 2007
    I loved this movie from start to finish. It was incredibly intense and captivating. The entire cast gets a big gold star from me, as well as a hefty libation of rum. The mythological elements, storyline, action, and effects were outstanding. I love the great imagination and soulfulness at the heart in these films, especially AWE. The major theme of the Pirates trilogy, to me, is about I loved this movie from start to finish. It was incredibly intense and captivating. The entire cast gets a big gold star from me, as well as a hefty libation of rum. The mythological elements, storyline, action, and effects were outstanding. I love the great imagination and soulfulness at the heart in these films, especially AWE. The major theme of the Pirates trilogy, to me, is about choices and their costs, how those choices effect everyone and their relationships, and in the chaos that ensues, leads the various characters to great accomplishments, crushing failures, and unexpected ends. This movie is also about redemption and the power of love. Nearly every major character got the chance to redeem themselves for their past shenanigans in some way by the end of the film. I found that pretty uplifting, and I left the theatre with a smile on my face. I found myself greatly entertained and the screen time didn't feel like 168 minutes. Maybe I am not as jaded and ADD afflicted as the critics who seem to be trashing this movie. Oh, well. To each their own. Cheers! Expand
  62. BobH.
    May 26, 2007
    Whomever is responsible for this effort should be flogged and quartered and then made to walk the plank. To take these wonderful actors and writes something this bad is to bad to be believed. As much as we loved the first Pirates, that's how awful this last instalment in the series is. Even Captain Jack Sparrow can't save ths embarassment as the film is totally flat and appears Whomever is responsible for this effort should be flogged and quartered and then made to walk the plank. To take these wonderful actors and writes something this bad is to bad to be believed. As much as we loved the first Pirates, that's how awful this last instalment in the series is. Even Captain Jack Sparrow can't save ths embarassment as the film is totally flat and appears to be written by a bunch of amateurs who don't have a clue in how to tell a story. At one point I considered walking out of the theater as this is how truly awful the movie is. Avoid at all costs. Two hours and forty five minutes and all you can find is a few chuckles between the boredom. You will be looking at your watch praying fot this garbage to mercifully be over. You have been warned. Expand
  63. CaroleM.
    May 26, 2007
    Great acting by Johnny Depp. Loved his father, Keith Richards. LOL Too many fight scenes.
  64. AlisaH.
    May 26, 2007
    This was a spectacular finish to a beloved franchise. Many critics have complained about the length, storyline, and well other things, but the only thing I found mildly annoying was sometimes you couldn't hear them. I'm content about the length, I wanted a good long movie and that's what I got, you got an indulging storyline that you could chew over later and best of all. . This was a spectacular finish to a beloved franchise. Many critics have complained about the length, storyline, and well other things, but the only thing I found mildly annoying was sometimes you couldn't hear them. I'm content about the length, I wanted a good long movie and that's what I got, you got an indulging storyline that you could chew over later and best of all. . . More Cap'n Jack Sparrow, what more could you want I ask. Critics are expecting this and that and then when they don't get exactly what they wanted they pull out a totally negative feedback to one of the best movies of the year, other examples to that claim would be Spider-Man 3, Shrek 3. Both are great movies and some critics just constantly need something to bash. So go enjoy more Pirates. Expand
  65. MattH.
    May 27, 2007
    A solid 8! very good story, a nice closer to a decent triolgy.
  66. NickB.
    May 27, 2007
    Early on in this film I thought to myself, "The unwashed masses are not going to get this one," and i think I am right. If, on the other hand, you aspire to watching something truly marvelous, inventive, and strangely genre-breaking, then At World's End may be for you. I can't speak for all, but to me, this movie was the very definition of why I love Summer films. It was so Early on in this film I thought to myself, "The unwashed masses are not going to get this one," and i think I am right. If, on the other hand, you aspire to watching something truly marvelous, inventive, and strangely genre-breaking, then At World's End may be for you. I can't speak for all, but to me, this movie was the very definition of why I love Summer films. It was so captivating and interesting that I didn't even noticed where the two hours and forty sevn minutes went.....just a brilliant action flick. But again, be warned: if you ever got irritated at a David Lynch film, or you think Dungeons & Dragons is for weirdo nerds, then you are probably not going to get this movie and might want to just go catch the latest Adam Sandler crud instead. Expand
  67. SimonD.
    May 27, 2007
    Not quite as good as the first, but still a very strong, very well developed and acted film with great twists, a darkness we don't expect from Disney, and some moments of sheer brilliance. Much better than the critics would have you think.
  68. Aaron
    May 27, 2007
    Moronic and an assault on the senses. Possibly the turkey of the year. No chemistry whatsoever thanks to the writers who have lost touch with all reality. Even a wonderful actor like Johnny Depp can't save this Captain Jack Sparrow. Beware!
  69. AlexVanB.
    May 28, 2007
    Completely ridiculous and highly enjoyable.
  70. JamesG.
    May 28, 2007
    Look I'm not quite sure. Way too long, especially for kids, story flew all over the place, though Jerry Bruckheimer out does himself with the best special effects and explosions. My score is horribly biased due too this movie having the single best bad guy death ever!!!
  71. halb
    May 28, 2007
    Well, as usual, those folks raving about this (with 9s and 10s) must be pretty easy to please... while those giving it less than 2 are probably being too harsh, and must have had very high expectations. After the second movie, I didn't have huge expectations and therefore wasn't all that disappointed. That said, this was an over-long, confusing and contrived mess of a movie, Well, as usual, those folks raving about this (with 9s and 10s) must be pretty easy to please... while those giving it less than 2 are probably being too harsh, and must have had very high expectations. After the second movie, I didn't have huge expectations and therefore wasn't all that disappointed. That said, this was an over-long, confusing and contrived mess of a movie, saved only by the occasional gallows humor, the little monkey and a few truly inspired scenes. The acting is fine, but is almost always overwhelmed by the action, the sets and the CGI. Keith Richards, although only on for a couple minutes, was most excellent as Sparrow's father. Expand
  72. AMovieCritic
    May 28, 2007
    It's as good as the past 2 installments. Unlike most of the world, I never really fell in love with these Pirates movies. They are each really fun and excellent-looking movies with great acting, but beyond that, I never really understood why this has become one of the biggest franchises of all time. That said, though, I had fun watching At World's End, just like I had fun It's as good as the past 2 installments. Unlike most of the world, I never really fell in love with these Pirates movies. They are each really fun and excellent-looking movies with great acting, but beyond that, I never really understood why this has become one of the biggest franchises of all time. That said, though, I had fun watching At World's End, just like I had fun watching the last 2 Pirates movies. At World's End is almost impossible to follow, it's extremely long, it lacks a strong, memorable new villain (they're just going after the humans? Boring...) and much of the action is saved until the end. But still...I had fun. Johnny Depp is better than ever as Captain Jack Sparrow, Geoffrey Rush is awesome as Barbarosa, and Kiera Knightly kicks ass in this installment, too. This is easily the best-looking movie I've ever seen, with some amazing cinematography and some great directing. Gore Verbinski knows how to make a movie epic. The music is also the best in the series as well. If you liked the past 2 Pirates movies, (more specifically, if you liked the 2nd one) you should enjoy this. Just make sure you watch the 2nd movie before seeing this one, as this movie makes no effort whatsoever to catch you up. Expand
  73. Mick
    May 29, 2007
    I quite enjoyed this movie! Not as good as the first, but overall it was good. The only thing I would say is that if they are to do a fourth they need to add the humor again. It just wasn't as funny as the first
  74. RedRum
    May 29, 2007
    Better than I expected considering the harsh reviews from the critics. Definitely had it
  75. KevinR
    May 30, 2007
    While the witty one-liners and huge action opus scenes are truly exciting, the poor excuse for a plot that just makes things up as it goes (and not very well) kills what is otherwise a fairly entertaining romp across the seas.
  76. KalebF
    May 30, 2007
    A great ending to the definitive pirates saga. The critics must not have seen the first two movies if their negative about this movie. The movie is great and the story is understandable. You just may need to recap on the first two movies first. I love this movie
  77. IliaC.
    May 30, 2007
    Many people in Russia already spent their money twice to watch this movie. 13.8 mln$ is our new record. Pirates is a action/comedy and there is no need in drama/tragedy episodes in sequence. 2.48 of this saga make me feel really tired. Storylines of too many heroes are still uncovered , betrayals and motives are quite unlogical and madJackTheSeriousTragical lost his battle with Many people in Russia already spent their money twice to watch this movie. 13.8 mln$ is our new record. Pirates is a action/comedy and there is no need in drama/tragedy episodes in sequence. 2.48 of this saga make me feel really tired. Storylines of too many heroes are still uncovered , betrayals and motives are quite unlogical and madJackTheSeriousTragical lost his battle with Rush's Barbossa. Depp looks tired from Pirates dialogue. People wanted to see just FUNny epic summer blockbuster but they saw just another variation of Matrix Revolutions. Expand
  78. CharlieC
    May 30, 2007
    Impressive special effects but a very confused and disappointing plot. This is not for kids or for adults. Teens will probably enjoy the energy and excitement of the nonstop action sequences and will overlook the lack of character development, originality, and message. Confusion, mayhem, and ear splitting sound effects will leave you exhausted. Parts one and two were fun and original. Impressive special effects but a very confused and disappointing plot. This is not for kids or for adults. Teens will probably enjoy the energy and excitement of the nonstop action sequences and will overlook the lack of character development, originality, and message. Confusion, mayhem, and ear splitting sound effects will leave you exhausted. Parts one and two were fun and original. Aside from the technowizardry, number three is a waste of money and three hours of your quality time. Expand
  79. AlecR.
    May 30, 2007
    Well, critics of these Pirates of the Caribbean movies have always angered me. Why? Because people go to the movie to have fun and get away from their lives for a few hours, no to be emotionally stimulated or to cry over a divorce or something uninteresting like that. While this movie is better than the second, it isn't as good as the first. The story is understandable if you have a Well, critics of these Pirates of the Caribbean movies have always angered me. Why? Because people go to the movie to have fun and get away from their lives for a few hours, no to be emotionally stimulated or to cry over a divorce or something uninteresting like that. While this movie is better than the second, it isn't as good as the first. The story is understandable if you have a brain, and the action is always satisfying. However, I do have to agree that the Calypso thing was kind of out of no where. If anyone pays attention, the film is a great one, one that I will never forget for the rest of my life. Expand
  80. MattS.
    May 30, 2007
    If you're at least 12 years old, you have no excuse to like this movie. Laughable dialogue, a jumbled plot, no emotional connections with the characters. A three hour bore, easily the worst movie I've seen all year.
  81. ReelWorld
    May 30, 2007
    2 points for FX. It was painfully obvious that the script had not been finished when they started shooting. The story goes all over the place - with long segments where characters try to explain what's going on. Double and Triple crosses ending with a ridiculous ending that includes everything from overt violence to necrophilia. Do yourself a favor and save the almost three hours 2 points for FX. It was painfully obvious that the script had not been finished when they started shooting. The story goes all over the place - with long segments where characters try to explain what's going on. Double and Triple crosses ending with a ridiculous ending that includes everything from overt violence to necrophilia. Do yourself a favor and save the almost three hours this film takes to sit thru and enjoy the summer sunshine instead. A pitiful end to a franchise that began with a good opening film. Expand
  82. SteveH.
    May 30, 2007
    Good but NOT for kids. Plot HARD to follow and VERY abstract.. Save the $ for when it hits the $1 rental.
  83. CoryP.
    Jun 10, 2007
    I guess a movie is only good any more if the f-bomb is used once every 10 minutes (eg. Knocked up) or is trying to make a political statement. The Pirate movies are meant to be popcorn movies to enjoy. Enjoy this movie ! It's not meant to cause some sort of spiritual awakening. So funny how critics can give knocked up such good reviews and turn around and find nothing to like about I guess a movie is only good any more if the f-bomb is used once every 10 minutes (eg. Knocked up) or is trying to make a political statement. The Pirate movies are meant to be popcorn movies to enjoy. Enjoy this movie ! It's not meant to cause some sort of spiritual awakening. So funny how critics can give knocked up such good reviews and turn around and find nothing to like about this movie. Nothing short of amazing. Best thing to do is go see this movie and form your OWN opinion. Expand
  84. BennyH.
    Jun 13, 2007
    The visuals are superb. As long as you're not one to care about making sense of all the pointless plot twists and shifting alliances, you will be entertained. I only cringed once, during the "nuptials whilst in battle" scene.
  85. fdasdafa
    Jun 13, 2007
    Terrible, overly confusing and way to long.
  86. VeronicaJ.
    Jun 16, 2007
    Best yet! I feel sorry for everyone who didn't quite get it because it was clever and intricate. I might add that almost all the negative remarks that say this movie was way 'to' long. The fact that you can't spell 'to' correctly - should be 'too' - could be an indicator of just why this movie isn't for you.
  87. BobB.
    Jun 16, 2007
    I'm reviewing this only because the movie desperately needs it. Okay, was it an awesome movie? No, but it was action packed, interesting, and it finished the series in a way that didn't ruin it. The writers tried to cram too much info into the movie, and some of the acting sucked, but aside from that, the movie was fine. Just not awesome, but good enough for a fan to enjoy.
  88. BenB.
    Jun 19, 2007
    To think I could of wasted 3 hours on doing something more exciting like watching paint dry, I am glad I didn't pay for this movie. I used a voucher some one gave me, otherwise I would of asked for my money back. Made no sense, was really random. I gave it 5 for the special effects and the 2 jokes that did make me laugh.
  89. JustinH
    Jun 2, 2007
    The second film showed signs of sinking but in this lame third outing the film is torpedoed. The narrative is so full of holes that is near impossible to follow parts of the film and the acting is so wooden by keira and orlando that they could have been a part of the furniture. Rumour has it that there wasn't a script when filming began and it shows. I echoed one of the characters The second film showed signs of sinking but in this lame third outing the film is torpedoed. The narrative is so full of holes that is near impossible to follow parts of the film and the acting is so wooden by keira and orlando that they could have been a part of the furniture. Rumour has it that there wasn't a script when filming began and it shows. I echoed one of the characters questions about jack sparrow where he says "is he planning this or is he making it up as he goes along, I think the person in question was actually referring to the script. Abysmal Expand
  90. BlahBlah
    Jun 2, 2007
    Aside from being the best movie to come out this year, this iteration of the Pirates series is easily the best of them all. It answers and closes every storyline, and does so in an amazing fashion. The plot is very easy to follow, too. Additionally, it has some of the most gargantuan CG action scenes ever made, including the climactic battle fought in the midst of a CGI maelstrom. You Aside from being the best movie to come out this year, this iteration of the Pirates series is easily the best of them all. It answers and closes every storyline, and does so in an amazing fashion. The plot is very easy to follow, too. Additionally, it has some of the most gargantuan CG action scenes ever made, including the climactic battle fought in the midst of a CGI maelstrom. You have absolutely no reason to not see this movie multiple times. Expand
  91. LeonardB.
    Jun 3, 2007
    This is a movie made to go see at the "movies" very entertaining! as far as the plot, what was so hard to understand???? the trick is to just sit back and take it all in, its fantasy not always meant to make perfect sense...open your mind critics.
  92. BillC.
    Jun 3, 2007
    This things a bear to follow, and the quirky fun of Pirates #1 is no where to be found. The Kieth Richards cameo is so disappointing as well. You can see where the money went...special effects a-plenty..too bad a better , shorter,more cleaver story wasn't part of the deal. And the ending...it didn't seem to fit either. Disney just milked it's cash cow, and it shows. Bill C.
  93. JimS
    Jun 5, 2007
    One word: stupid!. I don't understand the fascination with this series or Johnny Depp.
  94. JustinB.
    Jun 5, 2007
    I loved it! Those who couldn't follow it should have tried either watching the previous movies or they should have payed attention. My only qualm is that it was a little too long.
  95. JohnH.
    Jun 5, 2007
    Well, I saw the first two movies and loved them both. This movie left me with mixed feelings. I haven't watched Pirates since the second one came out in theatres, and let me tell you, if you want to fully enjoy it, don't do that, because it was confusing as h--l. However, as I watched more of the movie, parts came back to me, but even still, I found myself unable to comprehend Well, I saw the first two movies and loved them both. This movie left me with mixed feelings. I haven't watched Pirates since the second one came out in theatres, and let me tell you, if you want to fully enjoy it, don't do that, because it was confusing as h--l. However, as I watched more of the movie, parts came back to me, but even still, I found myself unable to comprehend some parts. I'm not sure if watching the first two would have helped or not, because I can usually recall movie facts pretty accurately, and there were parts of this movie that I just found completely irrelevant. It was too long. But, despite all that, I liked the movie. It had funny parts, and although somewhat cheesy, I found myself laughing at it. Recommendation: Watch the other two before you leave home on the day of going, and you'll like it. Expand
  96. DaveM.
    Jun 5, 2007
    This was genuinely one of the least enjoyable movies I've seen in years. Far too long, too many plots, characters (Chow Yun Fat's in particular was pointless), very little action barring an awful final half hour sea battle. Capt. Jack Sparrow was rendered irrelevant by the focus on Will and Elizabeth - Keira Knightley was very poor and Orlando Bloom not much better. Brief This was genuinely one of the least enjoyable movies I've seen in years. Far too long, too many plots, characters (Chow Yun Fat's in particular was pointless), very little action barring an awful final half hour sea battle. Capt. Jack Sparrow was rendered irrelevant by the focus on Will and Elizabeth - Keira Knightley was very poor and Orlando Bloom not much better. Brief flashes of comedy were about the only thing to like with this one. Expand
  97. CarolA.
    Jun 5, 2007
    Talk about Jumping The Shark this flick is destined for one of the worst of the year. 300M on special effects and nothing more. Just a paycheck for the actors as no one stood out including the wonderful Johnny Depp. This movie is horrific. Too bad to be believed. Avoid at all costs.
  98. SwordS.
    Jul 3, 2007
    This is an achievement: it manages to be tedious, dismally overcomplicated and shallow - all at the same time. Depp rehashes previous performances, only Rush acts convincingly and the old chemistry is totally absent between Knightley and Bloom. Sad.
  99. TravisB.
    Jul 6, 2007
    This movie offers you the best of thrilling emotions, along with one of the most intricate and well written plots ever brought to the cinema. not to mention the great effects and action scenes.
  100. BernB.
    Sep 20, 2007
    this movie was really fun and all of you people saying it was horrible you're not a movie critic so get over it and if you didn't get the plot you're just a dumbass.

The last 60 minutes offer adventure as rousing as anything provided in either of the previous installments. Unfortunately, that doesn't account for the other 108 minutes of this gorged, self-indulgent, and uneven production.
  2. Reviewed by: Helen O'Hara
    The plot's a trippy, twisty mess, and it's far too long, but it looks fantastic and makes some bold choices in its execution. And once again Jack's back to save the day.
  3. Reviewed by: Brian Lowry
    The third voyage in the "Priates" trilogy could be touted as "The biggest, loudest and second-best (or second-worst) 'Pirates' ever!" -- not necessarily a ringing endorsement, but honest.