6.9

1. Sep 24, 2011
    "Dead Man's Chest" starts out with a cheerful performance by Johnny Depp and ends with a terrible conclusion. Ultimately the movie is a mindless blockbuster, a movie you would expect.
  2. Mar 15, 2011
    Awesome second chapter to the series. I gotta say, ILM really tricked me with Davy Jones, because I had no idea his face was actually computer generated. Great work!
  3. Jun 11, 2011
    This second installment continues this heroic franchise as Jack Sparrow and his crew members face a new enemy known as Davy Jones who captains the Flying Dutchman. Feeling like he has no choice, Jack must owe his dept to him, but has to get help from Will Turner and Elizabeth Swann first, unaware that they are sentenced to be hanged by Lord Cutler Bucket unless they can give him Jack'sThis second installment continues this heroic franchise as Jack Sparrow and his crew members face a new enemy known as Davy Jones who captains the Flying Dutchman. Feeling like he has no choice, Jack must owe his dept to him, but has to get help from Will Turner and Elizabeth Swann first, unaware that they are sentenced to be hanged by Lord Cutler Bucket unless they can give him Jack's compass to join him on his quest to defeat Davy Jones.

(sigh) This was the only movie I've missed in theaters in 2006, but thank god I watched it on DVD rental at the library and really enjoyed it. I can't believe I'm saying this, but... this sequel is not as good as the first movie.

The actors from the first movie did very well at their performances, The CGI was cool, The action was even more cooler, and the storyline was well-paced, but the dialogue was bad, the storytelling was rushed, and it has some flaws throughout the whole movie.

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead's Man's Chest may not be the best movie of all time, but it is in no doubt a worthy follow up to the first with solid performances and even greater action sequences.

4. May 26, 2011
    If you're reading this then you're probably alive. If you're alive then you'd probably like this movie. I personally loved it. It is a sequel to a film that didn't need a sequel, yet adding this movie to the franchise just made it a whole lot better. You wouldn't really need to see the first film to understand this one, so don't worry if you haven't watched The Black Pearl just yet.If you're reading this then you're probably alive. If you're alive then you'd probably like this movie. I personally loved it. It is a sequel to a film that didn't need a sequel, yet adding this movie to the franchise just made it a whole lot better. You wouldn't really need to see the first film to understand this one, so don't worry if you haven't watched The Black Pearl just yet. Seriously, get the -blam- off this website and watch this movie. Expand
  5. Dec 30, 2011
    The whole story at the heart gets stronger although it isn't told very well.,so basically the second installment is lackluster, but offers some clever camerawork that can be useful to know in the third installment. It still has some great action, clever humor and dazzling visuals. I give this movie 74%.
  6. Nov 9, 2012
    The second dose of pirate mayhem is scattershot and chunky as a whole, but delivers in the moment, and is fueled by some breathtaking storm sequences.
  7. Aug 22, 2010
    A bit too long but very entertaining. I really think though that they should not have made this sequel because the first movie was fantastic and should stand alone.
  8. Aug 6, 2012
    One of the most popular movies to date, the movie is full of adventure and some laughs. But the redundant drama keeps me bored and the music sounds more epic than ever.
  9. Dec 18, 2010
    I loved this film! It had wonderful CGI effects, great action, and even some humor here and there. There's nothing to hate, but it isn't perfect though, like this one part where all Jack and Will had to do was stab Davy Jones and all their dreams would come true, instead of having a three way duel with Norrington.
  10. Nov 23, 2011
    It proves how bad things can turn when the first film was so good and the sequel was far worst. The acting is poor, The story isnt interesting at all, and the entire film is simply boring.
  11. Mar 4, 2011
    Great premise where the pirates are desperate to put the treasure BACK! I really did like Johnny Depp in this movie. The rest of the cast were so-so. But again, it was the premise that won me over.
  12. May 18, 2011
    Depp is back and better than ever. Loved the scene where the three are fighting for the chest! Not sure about Elisabeth and Davy Jones, though. Regardless, I liked it. I love good Disney movies. I like to wave at them as they pass by.
  13. Jun 29, 2013
    Why so serious Pirates? Dead Man's Chest is equally as explosive and ridiculous as it's predecessor, but the charm and magical aspect of the first has seemingly disappeared, and been replaced with a sombre, lengthy and often pointless escapade across the sea.
    Time seems to have shifted to a much darker and more sadistic tone for Captain Jack Sparrow, played uniquely and more bizarre than ever by Johnny Depp, who finds himself in the company of an array of new faces, amongst them is the mythical Davy Jones, (Bill Nighy), who captains the legendary Flying Dutchman, a man or monster and a ship that Sparrow owes a debt to. Problem is, Will Turner and his almost bride Elizabeth Swan are wanted for aiding Captain Jack, under the new East India Trading Company regime in Port Royal, the two decide to search for Jack in an attempt to benefit one another.and their lives.
    With everyone after the same thing, there are plenty of characters to keep up with and many a tale to keep us entertained, but its the vastly different and change of personality that many of these characters have underwent that is the most, well, annoying.
    Will Turner is more an insolent child now, he brims with confidence with very little reason to do so, and while his motives are never clear, much like Jack, its fun with Jack and should be left to him, because again he is the master of the house in the film, finding himself in many peculiar situations, with another witty script and plenty of one on one moments with very characters that simply light up the screen with the sparkle of Johnny Depp in pirate form.
    But this doesn't stop the film from being about a half hour too long, with various scenes and moments, particularly the whole tribe moment, seemed to just be an excuse to use countless amounts of CGI to wither strut their stuff or to simply clock in the long running time. But there are of course plenty of decent things about this second outing, the set pieces are truly breathtaking, with a particularly massive finale that is sure to please the masses, and it is also nice to see the continuation of pirates being done justice on the screen, everyone is in it for themselves, but it just doesn't suit everyone.
    Not the worst sequel, but so much could have been carried over from the excellent first outing to benefit this murky tale, it is always leading to something else that in the end you must settle for the fact that it isn't going to happen in this film, but some shining performances make it worthwhile.
  14. Apr 19, 2012
    This film is very similar to the first film. I refer to the flaws, the strengths, and in essence, everything that has to do with the first film. This is not good, nor bad. The first movie was an enjoyable rumpus, but it was filled with flaws and holes. This film was no different, but it balances out as being nearly as good, if not equal to the first. The first similarity between the twoThis film is very similar to the first film. I refer to the flaws, the strengths, and in essence, everything that has to do with the first film. This is not good, nor bad. The first movie was an enjoyable rumpus, but it was filled with flaws and holes. This film was no different, but it balances out as being nearly as good, if not equal to the first. The first similarity between the two films is the first half hour. The content is different enough, but it starts in the same way as the first. That is, a brilliant first half hour, then an hour and a half of pirates that never is as good as the first bit. This time however, I was entertained a little bit more the rest of the way through. The first half hour wasn't as strong as the first film's beginning, but it makes up for it with a stronger body. The special effects are incredible, even better than the first. The scenes with the legendary Krakken in particular are very good. And this brings up one of "Dead Man's Chest's" biggest strengths; it's action scenes. Unlike the first, much of the action is fun and memorable. There is one elaborate part where a chase for a chest, a moving sword fight, and a clash with Davy Jone's crew all occurs at once on a beach, in a mill, and in a jungle. It's very entertaining, and quite thrilling. It's also quite elaborate, the way everything occurs at once, but I couldn't help but think about how much was just filled in with CGI later, rather than filming simotaneously. This film does, however have some new flaws the first didn't have. One thing is the plot, or more specifically, lack of. I felt like I kept waiting for the plot to kick in. It never really did. Also, the character of Jack Sparrow was one of the most entertaining bits of the first film. Unfortunately, he has a considerably smaller role in this film, and he can't truthfully be considered the star in this episode. This leads to a lot of dull stretches. On the upside, the score is even stronger than that of the first. This time, it's fully composed by Hanz Zimmer and it's not only good, it's incredible. This is a soundtrack you'll want on your iPod. Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest is just as good as the first; with weaknesses and strengths balancing out to create an equal package. One just wishes that there was some kind of reason to all the fighting and action, because frankly, we never get one. Expand
  15. Aug 28, 2014
    Yo ho! Here we go again: a sequel to "The Curse of the Black Pearl", and a fine one of that.

The movie is long, perhaps, but the way it is cut makes it feel rather short. There is a lot of action - but there is also more comedy. Yet the balance of the two isn't as fine as in the first movie, which is a shame. "Dead Man's Chest" is also confusing, especially the beginning scene that

"Dead Man's Chest" is also confusing, especially the beginning scene that starts with Elizabeth kneeling alone in the rain in her wedding reception, waiting for... something or someone. It is such a sudden scene and makes for a bumpy start, but they straighten it out pretty nicely after that. There is some jumpiness in the scenes after that, which really is a shame after the cheer brilliance and masterful pace of "The Curse of the Black Pearl".

Most other dilemmas and "plot holes" are pretty much explained and patched up during the movie, leaving room for speculation until the events finally fold out.

Captain Jack is indeed back - as promised - as the ever "charming" himself; but he has less screen-time than one might expect. In the true spotlight we have William Turner (Orlando Bloom), who makes an amazing performance. His character is finally given the well-earned depth. Riddled with angst, he really has some bearing behind his actions.

Elizabeth Swann is also given plenty of room, but her character keeps bouncing between a fierce pirate-woman and a lady who is too good for pirate behavior. That splintered personality was a bit odd to follow, not to mention boring, and I think her role was a bit aimless, especially in the sword fight between Will, Jack and Norrington; she really failed to bring on the comedy.

True to the original movie, were are still offered great humor to experience, swift turns in the plot, outrageously creative means of escape, intense action, amazing visual look - and an already familiar set of characters that we all love.
  16. Oct 7, 2013
    Every thing good about the first film is tossed out the window. Dead Man's Chest is painfully boring and fails to excite you like the first film did. The acting is weak and so is the action scenes. Very disappointing considering how good the first one was, This one simply fails to live up.
  17. Jun 11, 2012
    Though unequal to the original in plot and character development, the Dead Man's Chest is still extremely fun and enjoyable. Johnny Depp is unbeatable.
  18. Aug 24, 2014
    Much like the first installment, we are captivated by excitement and continued shenanigans. Once more, Johnny Depp shines in his underrated stint as Capt. Jack Sparrow.
  19. Mar 25, 2012
    This installment is way to long and all the different plots make the film to complicated for itself. Yet the film still survives because of Jack and is marvelous performance.
  20. Apr 2, 2012
    Most certainly not as good as the first one, but it still brings the action, adventure, and silliness. It is pleasant and fast paced. Great visuals and music.
  21. Apr 8, 2012
    This film manages to fuse together both the hilarity and incompetency of Jack Sparrow with the seriousness and fright of Davy Jones. Although some will contest the ending it proves to show that the film isn't simply about the silly exploits of Jack but there is a more underlying story beneath it all. Brilliant acting from Johnny Deep who provides a laugh in every scene.
  22. Jul 3, 2013
    Dead Man's Chest seems to struggle mightily with what it wants to be. Does it want to be a story about Jack Sparrow's rascally ways coming back to bite him, or does it want to be a story of Will Turner coming to terms with the man his father was? Does it want to be about Elizabeth Swann becoming a pirate and loving it, or Norrington trying to scrape by after an offscreenDead Man's Chest seems to struggle mightily with what it wants to be. Does it want to be a story about Jack Sparrow's rascally ways coming back to bite him, or does it want to be a story of Will Turner coming to terms with the man his father was? Does it want to be about Elizabeth Swann becoming a pirate and loving it, or Norrington trying to scrape by after an offscreen passingly-mentioned disgrace? The villain, at least, is clear, but little else is.

Speaking of the villain, Davy Jones is a great one. He's scary, he's one of the best-modeled CG characters ever made, and Bill Nighy acts him beautifully. But he's weighed down by the plodding, meandering movie he's in, that can't seem to decide what it's doing, where it's going, or why it exists. It seems to be just sort of...THERE. Because Eisner wanted a sequel. Or something. Overall, the weakest film in the series. That includes At World's End AND On Stranger Tides.
  23. Nov 5, 2013
    "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest" is the second movie in the series. Although it's not as good as the original, it's still a worthy sequel. It's slightly overlong, but Johnny Depp's humorous jokes still does keep it going.
  24. Dec 23, 2013
    A big let down after a great first film. I remember seeing this in theaters and walking out almost wanting my money back. Despite the fact that Depp is still great in the lead the film is derivative of the first and is far to long. Action sequences stretch to a point where they are meaninglessly long and boring. I'm not sure what happened with this film but it wasn't good.
  25. Jun 12, 2014
    The sequel to the very successful "Curse of the Black Pearl" is just ok. It is still very fun and entertaining, but does not reach the heights that its predecessor does. The thrills are there, the laughs are there, the overall enjoyment is there, but there are enough negatives to hold it back. While Johnny Depp is great once again as Captain Jack Sparrow, Orlando Bloom and Keira KnightleyThe sequel to the very successful "Curse of the Black Pearl" is just ok. It is still very fun and entertaining, but does not reach the heights that its predecessor does. The thrills are there, the laughs are there, the overall enjoyment is there, but there are enough negatives to hold it back. While Johnny Depp is great once again as Captain Jack Sparrow, Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightley were spotty. At times, they were very good. At others, they were cringe worthy. The length is also a little much as it felt like a lot of scenes dragged on for far too long and would have been more effective and entertaining had they been shorter. The major negative, however, is the plot. If this film was not so darn fun, I would rate it much lower for this damn thing. The plot seemed to be all over the place and while not hard to follow in the least, it made no sense. They seemed to just be going all over the "New World" aimlessly for much of the film, beating around what the real plot is and instead focusing on all these side plots within the main plot. It made the film less enjoyable and somewhat convoluted. If they spent less time on meaningless nonsense, the film would have been a lot sharper and less long. As it stands, the film is entertaining enough for what it is and provides the thrills you come to expect from this franchise, but certainly could have been a lot better. Expand
  26. Sep 10, 2012
    It was fantastic in visual effects and fun through the island of the tribes and the three way swordplay for the chest. Its four star in my book, and it was just as good as the first one
  27. Jan 23, 2013
    Not as good as the others, but better than the third.
  28. Feb 15, 2013
    No where near as good as the first installment. But it had enough laughs and pirate action. I actually liked the character of Commodore, and rooted for him. Davy Jones was a decent villain. If you did not watch the first one, you may actually like it very much. Curse of the Black Pearl set the standard very high. Nonetheless, it's definitely watchable if not re-watchable. I feel that if itNo where near as good as the first installment. But it had enough laughs and pirate action. I actually liked the character of Commodore, and rooted for him. Davy Jones was a decent villain. If you did not watch the first one, you may actually like it very much. Curse of the Black Pearl set the standard very high. Nonetheless, it's definitely watchable if not re-watchable. I feel that if it shared only the theme with CotBP and had no connection to it in plot, it would have been better. Expand
  29. Oct 8, 2013
    A bit of a let down when compared with the first movie. Visuals are far superior and it's clear they put allot more time and effort into it, but, Dead man's Chest is trying too hard to be another Empire Strikes Back, following a very similar formula. There is plenty of build up, story arc takes a dark turn, and stakes are higher. Yet, at the end it really feels lacking. The story tries toA bit of a let down when compared with the first movie. Visuals are far superior and it's clear they put allot more time and effort into it, but, Dead man's Chest is trying too hard to be another Empire Strikes Back, following a very similar formula. There is plenty of build up, story arc takes a dark turn, and stakes are higher. Yet, at the end it really feels lacking. The story tries to stop at an obvious cliffhanger, but it feels more like a dead end.

Acting is more or less on par, with the last movie, and Bill Nighy is absolutely fantastic as Davy Jones. My hats go off to the concept artists, set designers and CG animation crew. They all did a fantastic job. The writers, should be sent to a corner to think about what they've done. Really weak writing.

Overall:
    Dead Man's Chest is a fun movie to watch, and the effect are amazing. But at the end of the day the movie on the whole feels a little too long winded and drawn out, making it a tad boring at times.
  30. Jan 12, 2013
    will what can i say it record for highest opening weekend of all time ($135,600,000) and grossed over $1 billion dollars worldwide
    is that worth just ( 6.8 )
  31. Mar 24, 2013
    This sequel shows that pirates of the carribean has still got the stuff. It's a fun wild ride filled with action and adventure, with some occasional humor by yours truly (Jack Sparrow). Honestly, it's my favorite of all the pirates movies. You won't be dissapointed in this swashbuckling sequel.
  32. Mar 31, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. For me it's the worst POTC film. Great performance by Johnny Depp, cool action scenes, and dark. But i think it's too dark and the story may pretty hard to follow for your children. I also praise its strong visuals and assorted humors. Expand
  33. Jul 29, 2013
    solo hundiendo barcos y la aparicion de un personaje interesante no basto para la secuela de Piratas del Caribe, sin embargo conserva su excelente tema musical, adrenalina y accion
  34. Aug 30, 2013
    Awesome!!! One of the greatest sequels ever!! The ending was very dramatic and suspenseful. Johnny Depp is always fun to watch!!! Do not miss it!!! Better than The Lord Of The Rings!!!
  35. Jul 14, 2013
    While it is not nearly as good or original as the first film, it is still a great film! It has even more action than the first film and has amazing visual effects (the Kraken and Davy Jones are spectacular CGI creations), Johnny Depp does fantastic again, the music is great (but not as great as the first film) and the script is creative in some ways and has its moments of witty dialogue.While it is not nearly as good or original as the first film, it is still a great film! It has even more action than the first film and has amazing visual effects (the Kraken and Davy Jones are spectacular CGI creations), Johnny Depp does fantastic again, the music is great (but not as great as the first film) and the script is creative in some ways and has its moments of witty dialogue. This is a great action/adventure flick. Expand
  36. Feb 1, 2014
    A great and unique movie, but when it comes to the story and the exaggerated comedy, it isn't the best Pirates of the Caribbean movie.

Pirates of The Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest is very well made movie, and it got many exiting and funny scenes which I haven't seen in movies before. The actors couldn't have been more awesome, and I especially admire Bill Nighy's and Johnny Depp's performance, because they played their characters so good! The music is still spectacular as it was in the first movie, but I didn't hear it that often as I did in the first movie, witch I really miss. Another negative thing about this movie is that it's a little lengthy at some places, and that the story is a little confusing, but also that it might have been a little too much un-serious content's which made the movie a little boring at some places.

Overall is Pirates of The Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest a great movie which has a great beginning and ending, but it is a little lengthy and it isn't that good as the first Pirates of The Caribbean movie.

Pirates of The Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest gets a 7/10
  37. Oct 27, 2013
    I admit, the downgrade from 'Black Pearl' is significantly evident from the more intricate (for the worse) plotline and a lack of depth from the characters. The Elizabeth and Will love story gets more sickening to watch. But Johnny Depp makes it all worth it. Of course, he has true talent.
  38. Sep 19, 2013
    Dead Man's Chest elaborates on the original's story a little bit, and more character backgrounds are established. Plus, the scene with the giant water wheel is a great sight to see, and a fun scene to watch.
  39. Nov 30, 2013
    I happened to like it. I added more of a story that went darker and deeper into the PotC world. The way Davy Jones was put together wasn't really that good, but overall it was a pretty well put together movie.
  40. Oct 27, 2013
    the second pirates of the caribbean film was the best film of the franchise so far,everyone thinks the first one is the best but for me the second one is better.
  41. Nov 13, 2013
    Dead Man's Chest is left rotting.
    Unlike its high paced prequel, Dead Man's Chest because monotonously boring and directionless with little action or thrills to save its fate.
  42. Dec 10, 2013
    As always, never as good as the first, and about on level with the third, this movie lacks in major storyline, but slams back with its great mix of humor (witty and slapstick) and amazing action scenes. Brings back some loved characters (and some not so loved, like Knightly) for a very good move overall! 7/10 for the movie and +1/10 for pirates. XD
  43. Jun 17, 2014
    It's an amusing movie, but let's face it, if Johnny Depp wasn't acting in this movie, it would suck pretty bad. But since he did act in it, it's an 8/10. :)
  44. Apr 25, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A lot of people hate the Pirates of the Caribbean sequel films, and while I do have to say that I agree that there are some flaws in these sequels that COTBP doesn't have, I actually have to say that I like Dead Man's Chest a lot and I would even dare say that I think this film does live up to the original. It had an excellent story of course and the great characters we all liked from the first film including Captain Jack, Gibbs, Will Turner and others. The dialogue can be humorous, a little cheesy at times, but pretty good. I also like the action, the action in this film is fantastic. The special effects are mostly good, I think they did an excellent job with the Dutchman's crew and Davy Jones in terms of special effects, however in the end scene when Jack is in front of the mouth of the Kraken, I could kind of see that it looked like Depp was just looking at a green screen. Overall I think that DMC was excellent, I may have not had the wit and charm of the first film, but I still saw this film as equal with the first one and as long as you ignore the naysayers, I would recommend it. Expand
  45. May 5, 2014
    I dont understand peoples' beef with this movie. its just as good as the first one. a bit unbelivable at times but the first one was too. Dead Man's Chest is an enjoyable ride. (no pun intended)
  46. Aug 9, 2014
    It's nice but nothing more. A sequel that adds hardly anything to its predecessor. Visually thrilling, incredible dark looks, but we do not want another "Curse of the Black Pearl".
  47. Oct 18, 2014
    Johnny Depp, Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightley reunite this epic tale chronicling the further mis-adventures of Captain Jack Sparrow in his confrontation with Davy Jones.

Lively is an odd word for something called Dead Man's Chest, but lively it is. You won't find hotter action, wilder thrills or loopier laughs this summer.
  2. Reviewed by: Dan Jolin
    Too long, and too wrapped up in its various plot contrivances to notice it’s veering off course. But Jack just about pulls the wheel back, aided by Verbinski’s flair for cartoonish comedy action.
  3. Depp is the comic gel that holds the whole enterprise together. The performance is a total delight that somehow combines Bugs Bunny, Peter Pan and Charlie Chaplin.