7.0

1. Jun 11, 2011
    This second installment continues this heroic franchise as Jack Sparrow and his crew members face a new enemy known as Davy Jones who captains the Flying Dutchman. Feeling like he has no choice, Jack must owe his dept to him, but has to get help from Will Turner and Elizabeth Swann first, unaware that they are sentenced to be hanged by Lord Cutler Bucket unless they can give him Jack'sThis second installment continues this heroic franchise as Jack Sparrow and his crew members face a new enemy known as Davy Jones who captains the Flying Dutchman. Feeling like he has no choice, Jack must owe his dept to him, but has to get help from Will Turner and Elizabeth Swann first, unaware that they are sentenced to be hanged by Lord Cutler Bucket unless they can give him Jack's compass to join him on his quest to defeat Davy Jones.

(sigh) This was the only movie I've missed in theaters in 2006, but thank god I watched it on DVD rental at the library and really enjoyed it. I can't believe I'm saying this, but... this sequel is not as good as the first movie.

The actors from the first movie did very well at their performances, The CGI was cool, The action was even more cooler, and the storyline was well-paced, but the dialogue was bad, the storytelling was rushed, and it has some flaws throughout the whole movie.

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead's Man's Chest may not be the best movie of all time, but it is in no doubt a worthy follow up to the first with solid performances and even greater action sequences.

2. May 26, 2011
    If you're reading this then you're probably alive. If you're alive then you'd probably like this movie. I personally loved it. It is a sequel to a film that didn't need a sequel, yet adding this movie to the franchise just made it a whole lot better. You wouldn't really need to see the first film to understand this one, so don't worry if you haven't watched The Black Pearl just yet.If you're reading this then you're probably alive. If you're alive then you'd probably like this movie. I personally loved it. It is a sequel to a film that didn't need a sequel, yet adding this movie to the franchise just made it a whole lot better. You wouldn't really need to see the first film to understand this one, so don't worry if you haven't watched The Black Pearl just yet. Seriously, get the -blam- off this website and watch this movie. Expand
  3. Dec 30, 2011
    The whole story at the heart gets stronger although it isn't told very well.,so basically the second installment is lackluster, but offers some clever camerawork that can be useful to know in the third installment. It still has some great action, clever humor and dazzling visuals. I give this movie 74%.
  4. TheoL.
    Jul 9, 2006
    Don't buy into all the negative and lukewarm reviews the "professional" critics are giving this film. Dead Man's Chest is an absolute blast!
  5. JackH.
    Jul 9, 2006
    A terrific film simply in its change from the original. Rather than using the formula of many film series by making it just Curse of the Black Pearl with a different villain and more characters (which it seems at first), the film instead reinvents every element used in the original and simply adds to it. I have already seen it twice, and like the first, it can't be viewed just once. A terrific film simply in its change from the original. Rather than using the formula of many film series by making it just Curse of the Black Pearl with a different villain and more characters (which it seems at first), the film instead reinvents every element used in the original and simply adds to it. I have already seen it twice, and like the first, it can't be viewed just once. The main flaw in this film is the same as any second film in a planned trilogy: it cannot stand alone eg. Back to the Future Part II, The Empire Strikes Back. That said, it works brilliantly in the way it was intended: it gives us a more in depth look at the characters in play to prepare us for the final film. Expand
  6. BrianM.
    Aug 5, 2006
    I am surprised to see this film getting quite a bit of negative feedback. I'm afraid this film got slammed merely because of the high standards set by the first film. People have a nasty tendancy to either expect too much from a sequel, or simply NOT want to like a sequel, and try hard to find flaws and dismiss the film. This would be a shame in the case of 'Pirates of the I am surprised to see this film getting quite a bit of negative feedback. I'm afraid this film got slammed merely because of the high standards set by the first film. People have a nasty tendancy to either expect too much from a sequel, or simply NOT want to like a sequel, and try hard to find flaws and dismiss the film. This would be a shame in the case of 'Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest'. The film is really well done, and is without a doubt one of the best movies so far this year. Some people complained about the 2 and a half hour length, but I thought the time simply flew by. It did not feel in the least bit slow or boring. I look at it as getting more of my money's worth! Moving on, the acting in this film was very well done! Even Orlando Bloom gave a passable performance. Depp did not disappoint with a great performance as Captain Jack Sparrow. For those complaining that the film went 'nowhere' they could not be more wrong. 'Dead Man's Chest' simply is the second act to the overall story, comparable to 'The Empire Strikes Back' in the Original Star Wars Trilogy. Overall, this was a great film, that should not be missed. It is one of the few family films I have thoroughly enjoyed, and did not leave me groaning. I eagerly await the next installment to this franchise. This has easily become one of my favorite Disney properties. Expand
  7. RandyM.
    Aug 6, 2006
    Pirates is truly a wonderful movie. It is a huge step up from the original, and one of summer's most delightful films. I abosolutely loved the shocker at the end.
  8. NickM.
    Aug 3, 2006
    Ummmm, im sorry but what is wrong with this movie, its is a funny, awsome action, you never know what will happen next, and it has a plot twist in the end that is worthy of shamalamalyn(exuse my spellings, its a hard name to spell) the only flaw is the fact it leaves you needing wanting to see more of the movie, hey, it convinced me to see the 3rd movie the day it comes out. and please, Ummmm, im sorry but what is wrong with this movie, its is a funny, awsome action, you never know what will happen next, and it has a plot twist in the end that is worthy of shamalamalyn(exuse my spellings, its a hard name to spell) the only flaw is the fact it leaves you needing wanting to see more of the movie, hey, it convinced me to see the 3rd movie the day it comes out. and please, the complaint about the length, look at the lord of the rings series, all very long, and classics. Expand
  9. Aaron
    Jul 9, 2006
    In a single word: Fantastic.
  10. Mar 15, 2011
    Awesome second chapter to the series. I gotta say, ILM really tricked me with Davy Jones, because I had no idea his face was actually computer generated. Great work!
  11. JoeK.
    Dec 20, 2006
    I love this movie, a great sequel to a great trilogy.
  12. OrlaB.
    Jul 30, 2006
    This Movie was a great movie to watch. Sometimes it made you jump with fright but others were alright! Sometimes I didn't quite make it out, but most of the time it was grand. I thought it would be an Overly Long movie, but actually it wasn't too bad. It was a great Movie to watch and I think most people would enjoy it. All the actors AND actresses were brilliant in it. This Movie was a great movie to watch. Sometimes it made you jump with fright but others were alright! Sometimes I didn't quite make it out, but most of the time it was grand. I thought it would be an Overly Long movie, but actually it wasn't too bad. It was a great Movie to watch and I think most people would enjoy it. All the actors AND actresses were brilliant in it. Especially Keira Knightly and Johnny Depp. Brilliant actors they are.If you haven't gone to see it go see it soon, and don't worry about it being s cary coz it ain't!!!! Enjoy!!! Orla. Expand
  13. moeder
    Aug 15, 2006
    wow what a fantastic movie why are you so negative about this movie the story was what i didn't expected it is wonderfull the action the humor everything i love this movie eand the end marvelous.
  14. JakeB.
    Aug 9, 2006
    'Dead Man's Chest' is one of the years best and most exhilarating film experiences. A masterpiece pure and simple. Th plot is in the most simplistic terms not the point. Like a Dashiell Hammett novel it's all about the aura and dialouge. Not to mention characters, trust me the film has MANY of those. But, I'll attempt a brief plot summary. Jack Sparrow owes a debt 'Dead Man's Chest' is one of the years best and most exhilarating film experiences. A masterpiece pure and simple. Th plot is in the most simplistic terms not the point. Like a Dashiell Hammett novel it's all about the aura and dialouge. Not to mention characters, trust me the film has MANY of those. But, I'll attempt a brief plot summary. Jack Sparrow owes a debt to the ultra- heavy of the sea, Davy Jones... the payment... his soul, well that or 100 other souls. To slight Davy Jones Jack gets assistance from Will Turner. Little does Jack know Will and his fiancé Elizabeth are being hunted for helping Sparrow, a known pirate escape a grizzly fate. The only way of achieving freedom is retrieving Jack's compass for the evil Lord Beckett. Will gets involved for more than he bargained for and has to battle against Jones at Sparrow's side. Acting wise 'Chest' has nearly no rough patches. Depp brings undeniable comedic energy to Sparrow and though un-recognizable physically, Nighy's Jones is a wonderful villain. Plus, Bloom has seemingly improved since the first outing. The effects are dazzling but that goes without saying. As to the detractors who complain the entire film is setup for number three, I tell you this: It's the best damn setup money can buy! Overall: A Rousing fun and more than a bottle a' rum Matey! P.S. Odds are Depp will not receive an Oscar for his work (sequels are rarely honored) but he sure as hell deserves one! It's the best male performance all year! Expand
  15. DeannaH
    Aug 3, 2007
    Really great movie!!!!!!! I love Johnny Depp!!
  16. KipM.
    Aug 27, 2006
    A great movie but some parts i didnt get until the 2nd time i saw it but theres still things i have no clue about what going to happen in the story. But i still give it a ten!:) i cant wait for the 3rd movie!
  17. MichaelC.
    Jul 10, 2006
    I Agree totally with Jack H. who states wisely that this movie cannot stand alone! it is the 2nd movie of a trilogy, and does just what it is supposed to do...keep you entertained and build up to the 3rd. Of course its not better than the 1st because the first is fresh and new. Though it is lacking plot, and gets a whole lot of nowhere for its 2 1/2 hours...Its FUN! no 2nd movie has ever I Agree totally with Jack H. who states wisely that this movie cannot stand alone! it is the 2nd movie of a trilogy, and does just what it is supposed to do...keep you entertained and build up to the 3rd. Of course its not better than the 1st because the first is fresh and new. Though it is lacking plot, and gets a whole lot of nowhere for its 2 1/2 hours...Its FUN! no 2nd movie has ever been the best of the trilogy...all it does is build up to the 3rd, and give a lot of action and laughs to get you there. A Great Film! Expand
  18. RickDangerous
    Jul 15, 2006
    10 out of 10. This movie beyond delivered. This is the best movie of the summer, if not year. Keira Knightley, Johnny, and Orlando all gave timeless performances in the tradition of Indiana Jones and LOTR. The critics really missed the point on this one. Don't listen to em', don't be a critic, and just watch and enjoy the best damn movie out!
  19. JonnyBoy
    Jul 10, 2006
    Awesome movie. Not as good as the first.
  20. BitBurn
    Jul 10, 2006
    It was aiight I guess, although not worth the huge media blitz thrown about it.
  21. MichaelP.
    Jul 6, 2006
    I LOVED THIS MOVIE! Better than the first in most way, I cannot wait for the final installment!
  22. PujaN.
    Jul 7, 2006
    I don't know why people are going all crazy trying to judge and ridicule an a mere action flick. It keeps your eyes relatively pleased, yet storyline is somewhat predictable..but who can't fall in love with Johnny Dep's silly character?
  23. Nick
    Jul 7, 2006
    Just came back from seeing it, and I enjoyed this a lot more than the first one. :)
  24. BryceE.
    Jul 8, 2006
    Davy Jones is awesome! Jack Sparrow seemed more goofy than cool, and the movie takes its time to get going, but the scenes featuring Davy Jones are just rad. Best "summer" movie by far. people taking this movie too seriously just need to chill.
  25. MarkA.
    Jul 9, 2006
    This movie was so GOOD! Ive seen it twice and cant wait for a third! Like others have said, I dont know what movie the critics saw because it wasnt this one...it might be too long for some people but I didnt feel it, its the most fun you'll have at the theater this summer...and the last minute will blow you away!
  26. Fantasy
    Jul 11, 2006
    Pirates 2 was a bit long and dragged at some points but still was great fun. The trilogy is no more as by breaking all the records they have changed it into two more flicks. Keith Richards has already signed on to play Captain Jack's father which should be a hoot. But for now this Pirates is very long and some of it should have been left on the cutting room floor. But for those of Pirates 2 was a bit long and dragged at some points but still was great fun. The trilogy is no more as by breaking all the records they have changed it into two more flicks. Keith Richards has already signed on to play Captain Jack's father which should be a hoot. But for now this Pirates is very long and some of it should have been left on the cutting room floor. But for those of you who hated it, don't take this movie too seriously, because it is nothing more than an amusement ride. Just bring the popcorn, sit back and enjoy. Johnny Depp steals the show. Expand
  27. HayleyC.
    Jul 11, 2006
    Phillip W.. if you didnt like it.. fine, say what it is you didnt like and leave it at that no need to diss the movie, or those that like(ed) it, it was very much a set up for the last in the trilogy and more script would have been nice. but it was FUN.. stop expecting this movie to have been all deep and meaningful...it was supposed to be exciting, fun, eye candy.. and it WAS. sheesh Phillip W.. if you didnt like it.. fine, say what it is you didnt like and leave it at that no need to diss the movie, or those that like(ed) it, it was very much a set up for the last in the trilogy and more script would have been nice. but it was FUN.. stop expecting this movie to have been all deep and meaningful...it was supposed to be exciting, fun, eye candy.. and it WAS. sheesh enjoy yourself for a change - cant wait for the 3rd. Expand
  28. Joan
    Jul 10, 2006
    How much more bang for your buck could you ask for? In 2+ hours you get some action, some comedy, lots of adventure, and 3 very beautiful people playing pirates. It's not Shakespeare, but it's not Battlefield Earth either.
  29. PurseyH.
    Jul 11, 2006
    I thought it was very entertaining, as you can see by the customer reviews alot of people agree. The point is its a movie that is definitely worth seeing and who knows, if you can put all these bad reviews out of your head and get your own oppinion on it, mabey you'll really like it. I did.
  30. LorileeO.
    Jul 10, 2006
    I don't know why so many are harping on the 2 1/2 hour run time - this seems to be in line with other blockbusters (Superman Returns, King Kong, Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, Titanic etc.) - I didn't notice all the complaining then! The movie provides exactly what viewers want from this sort of story - fascinating venues, high intensity special effects, loads of action, solid I don't know why so many are harping on the 2 1/2 hour run time - this seems to be in line with other blockbusters (Superman Returns, King Kong, Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, Titanic etc.) - I didn't notice all the complaining then! The movie provides exactly what viewers want from this sort of story - fascinating venues, high intensity special effects, loads of action, solid humor, romance, and a touch of horror. What more could you want of a action/adveture pirate movie? Johnny Depp is spectacular, as are the witch lady, Kiera and Orlando. The wait to see #3 is going to kill me! No, it didn't have any serious, life changing subplots or morals, but it was not meant to. All the key players stayed true to their character. The effects were amazing. For me, the 2 1/2 hours whizzed by. Expand
  31. DanF.
    Jul 12, 2006
    [***SPOILER***] I be a pirate, and I think this film be ye accurate representation of the day to day life of ye average deckhand. Therefore, a 9 I give this documentary about the life, and apparent greusome death, of my captain, jack sparrow.
  32. JeffW.
    Jul 10, 2006
    Whoaaa! Give me a break p-l-e-a-s-e-! Okay, it's not as good as the first (10) but they never are. It is a close second however and definitely does not deserve anything less than that. I watched it last night, came home and seen that this movie broke the record three-day take for any movie ever. The people have voiced their opinion. The critics and their ilk need to lighten up! :)
  33. DeezerD.
    Jul 14, 2006
    I'm really not sure how people are -that- confused about this plot. Sure, it's a little sloppy, but come on people.... this isn't very difficult to understand. In fact, it's not even that important to understand every detail of the story to enjoy the movie. Take this film for what it is -- mindless, meaningless? Sure. Entertaining and fun? Yep.
    Jul 15, 2006
    The movie felt long. Given the many plots and subplots going about it is a bit overwhelming to digest all of the information you're given in one sitting. While the action is entertaining and the special effects are very well done, it also begins to wear a bit thin by movie's end. Quantity over quality pervades much of the movie. Davy Jones was very well done, as were repeat The movie felt long. Given the many plots and subplots going about it is a bit overwhelming to digest all of the information you're given in one sitting. While the action is entertaining and the special effects are very well done, it also begins to wear a bit thin by movie's end. Quantity over quality pervades much of the movie. Davy Jones was very well done, as were repeat performances from previous characters of the first pirates.. but stitching together all of the old characters felt a bit convoluted at times. Entertaining, worth seeing, a bit long and some nonsense. Expand
  35. Haden
    Jul 10, 2006
    I thought it hit the spot not like that boring Superman Returns with its wooden indian acting and no plot. Pirates is great all around fun and the action is non stop. Johnny Depp as Captain Jack Sparrow steals the screen each and every time he appears. The rest of the cast is essentially worthless. I wish it had gone on and on as the audience I watched it with loved it. Great popcorn fun. I thought it hit the spot not like that boring Superman Returns with its wooden indian acting and no plot. Pirates is great all around fun and the action is non stop. Johnny Depp as Captain Jack Sparrow steals the screen each and every time he appears. The rest of the cast is essentially worthless. I wish it had gone on and on as the audience I watched it with loved it. Great popcorn fun. Don't miss it. Expand
  36. ClintM.
    Jul 15, 2006
    Absolutely loved this one! the special f/x were incredible, Johnny Depp proves again that he earned that Oscar nomination for Sparrow, and the action is great!! Go see it!!!
  37. GrifterW.
    Jul 18, 2006
    Truly a high seas adventure with plenty of great twists and turns in the plot, great comedic devices and a great set of actors I truly enjoyed Dead Man's Chest and I am surprised that many critics did not. Johnny Depp has created his on persona as Jack Sparrow whose crude, slurred remarks and facial expressions alone try to stand to make him the center point of the movie which is how Truly a high seas adventure with plenty of great twists and turns in the plot, great comedic devices and a great set of actors I truly enjoyed Dead Man's Chest and I am surprised that many critics did not. Johnny Depp has created his on persona as Jack Sparrow whose crude, slurred remarks and facial expressions alone try to stand to make him the center point of the movie which is how this edition should be. But as comedic as he is, Orlando Bloom and Kiera Knightly actually compete in his misadventurous comedy in this one as opposed to the first one. Decorated with the numerous side actors of the film I enjoyed watching it, and during most of the scenes I was laughing so hard I was almost on the floor. The comedy may seem to be 'Over the top' to most, but in my opinion I think that's how they designed Jack Sparrow to be. The villians are excellently designed, especially Davey Jones whose octopus face is excellent and creepy at the same time. I saw from other reviews I wasn't the only one to note that his eyes stood out from the character in fact making a character of themselves! The plot seems to be a bit rushed when introducing Elizabeth and Will in the beginning, but if they spent twenty minutes explaining what was happening before the rain started to fall it would have probably tipped the tide of the movie opinions. Truly their sense of timing was excellent and by the ratings of 250M$ in a full week it must be saying they've done something right! Expand
  38. JakobK.
    Jul 20, 2006
    I didn't expect too much of this movie, seeing as how I wasn't particularly impressed by the first one, but it turned out to be a lot better than I thought. The action scenes are exciting, intelligent, and funny, the characters are well-written as well as well-acted, and the film is visually very impressive. Some of the story is a bit confusing
  39. ClydeM>
    Jul 21, 2006
    It was awesome. Although it didnt have the spark the first one did it hall allot of other things to make up for it!
  40. KathyP.
    Jul 21, 2006
    Perfect summer escapism. Depp is right on target!
  41. MaryG.
    Jul 21, 2006
    A fun and hilarious romp, perfect summer entertainment for the whole family. Can't wait for the grand finale next summer! Depp, Knightley, Nighy, Harris - all gave engaging performances. The only problems with it: not enough Capt. Jack and too much Will.
  42. KevinK.
    Jul 20, 2006
    Some people seem to really hate this movie, but I don't see what all the hubub is about. It's supposed to be a summer blockbuster, not an arthouse treatise on the pirate-loot dynamics of the final years of sea exploration (which probably wouldn't have been a very different movie, anyway). No one will be winning any awards for dramatic acting, but everyone makes their roles Some people seem to really hate this movie, but I don't see what all the hubub is about. It's supposed to be a summer blockbuster, not an arthouse treatise on the pirate-loot dynamics of the final years of sea exploration (which probably wouldn't have been a very different movie, anyway). No one will be winning any awards for dramatic acting, but everyone makes their roles entertaining, despite having to watch them play their simple archetypes (Bloom is good guy pirate, Depp is dashing rogue pirate, Knightley is damsel not-so-much-in-distress, etc.) for more than two hours. The start is sloooooow, but once the action starts its a fun ride until the end. It shouldn't be expected to be or considered anything more than an attempt to make a fun movie. See it if you want a fun little puff piece to fill an afternoon, not because you want to see Citizen Cane with pirates. Expand
  43. CharlotteH.
    Jul 27, 2006
    This movie delivers more great, tongue-in-cheek, swashbuckling action in the same vein as "Black Pearl", and has even more spectacular visuals! Sure, I felt a little cheated by the cliff-hanger ending, but I'm not so indignant that I won't shell out my money to see "Pirates III" next year.
  44. Shawn
    Jul 28, 2006
    C'mon people - it's a summer movie and you were forewarned (from how the last movie played) that this movie is heavy on the visuals, effects, etc. and not as big on plot. Keep in mind to that this really more Part 2a, with Part 2b coming out next summer, than it is a stand alone sequel. [***SPOILERS***] OK - onto the review: this movie gives you everything you expected from a C'mon people - it's a summer movie and you were forewarned (from how the last movie played) that this movie is heavy on the visuals, effects, etc. and not as big on plot. Keep in mind to that this really more Part 2a, with Part 2b coming out next summer, than it is a stand alone sequel. [***SPOILERS***] OK - onto the review: this movie gives you everything you expected from a "Pirates of the Carribean" sequel: fierce battles, intrigue, plot twists, unrequited love, great sailing scenes...I could go on. Johnny Depp returns as our favorite pirate captain and he does not disappoint. He maintains his character's odd habits and mysterious ways and you are always trying to guess which side he is really on. The biggest character development is Keira Knightley's Elizabeth Swan. In the first "Pirates", she hints at the tough as nails "take-no-prisoners" woman her character wants to be - in the second movie, we see it come to the forefront. The only character who really remains the same is Will Turner, who is once again ably played by Orlando Bloom. Admittedly, Bloom's character experiences one of the major plot twists, but he continues to play Turner as a highly resourceful man of principle who will not allow convention to get in the way of doing what he believes is right. All in all, I found Dead Man's Chest to be a highly satisfying follow up to the first "Pirates" and I am eagerly anticipating next summer's finale. Expand
  45. TannerR.
    Jul 6, 2006
    Bloody brilliant. I am going to see it for a third time tonight!
  46. BrockL.
    Jul 6, 2006
    It was endlessly entertaining,more entertaining and fun than anything all year.Not even the Man of Steel could pull this off. With all the cast returning and more,this is a joy ride that you have to pay twice to fully experience it and feel it.I was astounded and rocked.This film was awesome. The film begins after seeing Jack Sparow settling down with his ship and crew,while Elizabeth and It was endlessly entertaining,more entertaining and fun than anything all year.Not even the Man of Steel could pull this off. With all the cast returning and more,this is a joy ride that you have to pay twice to fully experience it and feel it.I was astounded and rocked.This film was awesome. The film begins after seeing Jack Sparow settling down with his ship and crew,while Elizabeth and Will Turner have settled down as well.But things of course can't be well for a damn Pirate,when a squid like pirate Davvy Jones reminds Jack that he has a debt to pay.So,of course ,the dishonestly honest Jack must seek help from Elizabeth and Will Turner and there we go again.Another wild ride that will simply leave you speechless. There's everything here for everyone.The thing that Superman Slightly lacked.Colorful ,fun Characters,smart dialogues,great epic-sized action.And of course,some really ,really awe-inspiring CGI effects. There are twists and surprising turns,especially towards the end ,where the fun gets even better ,scene after scene.Something great is always popping up. A far superior sequel than its already splendid first installment,we all loved the first one.And it concludes with a cliffhanger to leave you thirsty for the third.It's the kind of cliffhanger that Reloaded gave us,but its final installment didn't live up to expectations.But I can say this much that ,this films finale,or final installment will rock the world. The Production designs,the sets were unbelievable!They were breath taking.They were so elaborate and detailed that they meet the standards of LORD OF THE RINGS films.It gives the film an other-worldly look.As if the characters were in some kind of a fantasy world. Thank someone,that we have a versatile actor like Johnny Depp.The only actor who I would thank.Having his presence throughout the film was like having a magician constantly pulling out tricks that are all satisfying.Depp,is the first and best reason to watch this film,just like the first one.Knightley is a surprise here.The first one didn't develop her character much,but here she elevates and pushes the boundaries.She really has a lot to do here.Bloom was just like he was in the first one.But his character discovers something that will leave the audience surprised.That is his father.What a surprise it was to finally see the legendary Bootstrap Bill,and Sarsgard was perfection.And then there is the always fabulous Billy Nighy.Where the first one had Geoffrey Rush,here we have Nighy to give you a great baddie.Who never had disappointed me with his performance.So goes for the rest of the cast with a few new additions,such as Naomi Harris. Kudos,to Director Gore Verbinski,and Producer Bruckheimer and Ted Elliot& Terry Rosio for their smart,witty writing.They all give you the very definition of "sequels better than the original".They give you a grand spectacle.They really give you everything you deserve to get from a summer Blockbuster.It's a film that we deserve after numerous Blockbusters that didn't fully satisfied us.This film boosts a better score than the first one too. This one is purely fantasy.The Squid looking Pirates are hardly believable,I mean did they ever existed in really world?Whereas the first one had a more believable Bad Pirates.In this film,the Pirates are more Fantasy-like.And somehow detaches itself from reality.It doesn't occur to you that this might've happened.I mean Pirates that look like squids can hardly be bought.It features a lot more weird creatures,that are actually pirates and more.Giant sea monsters and creatures that are very well created with CGI.And that's one of the few big flaws this film has.It doesn't make itself realistic,nor does it take itself too seriously.When there's something dramatic and serious is suppose to happen.And yes,it's a lot more darker than the first one. Way dark.Don't bring those kids of yours,or they'll hate pirates and their misadventures. Yet,this is a splendid entertainer.It's funny,exciting,fast-paced even with 2 hours plus length.It's simply great.This film features more than you could ask for.Those 2 and a half hours in the dark will keep you thrilled throughout.This year's greatest entertainment is here and will knock you flat.I've seen many Blockbusters, from V for Vendetta,to MI3,Da Vinci to X3 to Superman returns.But none could achieve the satisfaction as this Pirates sequel did.So,it's not all that risky to trust the bloody Pirates after all. Expand
  47. LukeM.
    Jul 7, 2006
    Reading the reviews of POTC:DMC left me weary as I left for the theater. Aside from Apocalypto and The Fountain, this was the first film of the year I had been looking forward too. I am happy to say it does not disappoint. POTC:DMC is full of the humor that made the first film so appealing, doubles the action, and delivers better performances all around. One of the main complaints is Reading the reviews of POTC:DMC left me weary as I left for the theater. Aside from Apocalypto and The Fountain, this was the first film of the year I had been looking forward too. I am happy to say it does not disappoint. POTC:DMC is full of the humor that made the first film so appealing, doubles the action, and delivers better performances all around. One of the main complaints is concerned with the films running time. Yes, Pirates runs two and a half hours, but after watching it, I was hungry for more. This is one of those films that should not be judged on it's intellect, but on it's ability to deliver entertainment. Expand
  48. Cherry
    Jul 7, 2006
    the characters were cool...but they spent 2 much time making the characters cool..that they forgot the plot!! i think the first one was better..the second one was pretty good but could of been better!
  49. Tonydannie
    Jul 7, 2006
    [***SPOILERS***] Oh Jack Sparrow. You have come back once again to grace the screen with all your rum loving attitude. But why oh why did you have to go to that island where the natives think you are a god? The film starts out like any sequel does. You get re-united(not re-introduced) With the characters from the previous swashbuckling adventure and alot of this and alot of that happens [***SPOILERS***] Oh Jack Sparrow. You have come back once again to grace the screen with all your rum loving attitude. But why oh why did you have to go to that island where the natives think you are a god? The film starts out like any sequel does. You get re-united(not re-introduced) With the characters from the previous swashbuckling adventure and alot of this and alot of that happens and the movie continues to(you only hope)move forward. Aside from seeng Depp as the rum loving pirate The first quarter of the movie tries desperately to be funny.That's whats hurting it at this point. The natives in this island think that Sparrow is a god but they have to cook him and eat him to release him from his human shell. Well That sounds fine and good but it just draggs for quite a bit too long. overfilled with jokes making it a bit too (here i go using this word that many pepole have thrown around a little too much this past week with another summer blockbuster release) CAMPY! It is to this point where we see Jack Sparrow not as the greatest Pirate that ever lived..but the most idiotic! Lucky for us Our heroes leave this Island and it's natives behind and we get our good ol' pal Jack just as we remember him. Cunning, Mischievious, and yes..Drunk. Aside from the Island sequence. I was affraid I was going to hate this movie. But as soon as discussions of Davey Jones kick in and the Dead Man's chest is out and about. The movie picks up with the same energy that made the original so much fun to watch. Lots Of Special Effects filled action and Davey JOnes Alone is worth a look. which he is played by none other the Bill "VIKTOR" Nighy. The man is one of the greats in my book. and There is this amazing scene with a sea monster that swallows boats whole. I know what it is called i just don't want to spell it right now. So if you are looking for a good time. I say yes..go see. Pirates 2. But remember it will take a bit of time for the movie to get there. And you are going to love the Ending. Like The Lord of the rings, Back to the future and yes, even the matrix. This ending is going to make you say "WHAT?" Have fun! Expand
  50. DrSnuggles
    Jul 7, 2006
    It took a while to get going and could have done with some editing but I thought this was smashing fun and the Kraken was wicked. Cars and SR haven't come out in the UK yet but this is the best blockbuster so far this Summer (although admittedly that is not saying much)
  51. MartyJ.
    Jul 7, 2006
    A Bigger Version of The First Film, I Didnt like the love triangle between Jack,Elizabeth and Will. Otherwise Just As Enjoyable As the first... And After the Ending I Cant wait for No.3.
  52. VladimirG.
    Jul 7, 2006
    Poor writing, some poor CGI, poor plot structure and arch, but if I told you I didn't enjoy it I would be lying. Listen, this is a movie based on a theme park ride, so if you're going there to see anything more than cheap yet funny jokes and silly action sequences you're probably a moron. I had a great time.
  53. Ashley
    Jul 7, 2006
    If I could give this movie any rating (not just 1-10) it would still be off the charts. I went to the midnight premiere and it was a blast. You don't get that kind of energy in a room unless it's at a midnight show. It was a crazy theater full of people who are just in love with Pirates: amazing. People wildly cheered the new grand entrance of Captain Jack Sparrow, weren't If I could give this movie any rating (not just 1-10) it would still be off the charts. I went to the midnight premiere and it was a blast. You don't get that kind of energy in a room unless it's at a midnight show. It was a crazy theater full of people who are just in love with Pirates: amazing. People wildly cheered the new grand entrance of Captain Jack Sparrow, weren't afraid to let loose laughing, and just totally enjoyed the ride from stop to finish. I'll admit the beginning was a bit disorientating, and I found myself longing for a clear day on the horizon instead of being below decks for the entire film. It was only in the first 20 minutes when I actually doubted the plotline of the film. Imagine that: doubting two of the greatest writers in Hollywood, not to mention some of the best actors. Now there's a laugh. But as soon as Depp appeared, everyone was in high spirits. The stunts and swordfights were all amazing, as they should be. This sequel includes a host of new characters, most notably a wacky fortune-teller, a colonial lord intent on "justice", and old Bootstrap Turner. We find one character from the previous film in Tortuga, definitely worse for wear, and his character's personality has undergone a complete development stage. It makes for one very interesting clash onscreen, let me tell you. And the Kraken.... oh man, if there's ever been a granddaddy of sea monsters, this is it. That monstrosity rips ships apart in nigh ten seconds. We can truly see why they say Davy Jones rules the seas with a beast like that at his command. Jack Sparrow actually stays a good man to the end (with some assistance from Elizabeth of course), and the twist at the end is enough to rock you until Memorial Day weekend 2007. With all these twists and turns, that means you have to keep up with the story as you're going through all of the different plots. It's one helluva ride though, and better than the first. Cheers. And remember: Hide the rum!! Expand
  54. BlackA.
    Jul 8, 2006
    I saw POTC:DMC this evening and I loved the film. I left the theatre wanting more and ready for the next installment. . .immediately. It's funny, I didn't go into the theatre with high expectations, somewhat mindful of the the lackluster movie reviews in the press. Having said that, I have no idea what crawled up the collective a**es of the majority of the movie critics and got I saw POTC:DMC this evening and I loved the film. I left the theatre wanting more and ready for the next installment. . .immediately. It's funny, I didn't go into the theatre with high expectations, somewhat mindful of the the lackluster movie reviews in the press. Having said that, I have no idea what crawled up the collective a**es of the majority of the movie critics and got caught in their sphincters. I guess some of them have no sense of fun or something. Expand
  55. DavidG.
    Jul 8, 2006
    In my opinion the first quarter of the movie lacked the PoTC finesse which the first movie showed so brilliantly, but it was still interesting albeit it was a little confusing here and there. The rest of the movie was sheer brilliance as it was polished all around. It had action perhpas better than any movies so far this year, an excellent atmosphere, some nicely thrown in humor, and an In my opinion the first quarter of the movie lacked the PoTC finesse which the first movie showed so brilliantly, but it was still interesting albeit it was a little confusing here and there. The rest of the movie was sheer brilliance as it was polished all around. It had action perhpas better than any movies so far this year, an excellent atmosphere, some nicely thrown in humor, and an overall pleasing storyline. So if you were a fan of PoTC 1, do yourself a favour, and go see this movie. PS: Hahah hey Carson, camping was awesome! Expand
  56. ShellyN.
    Jul 8, 2006
    Yes, it was long, but I was thrilled to be watching this entertaining movie the entire time. Movies like this are as essential to summer as a trip to Dairy Queen -- you know it's not the best quality, but for pure fun and escapism it can't be beat. Johnny Depp is excellent, Bill Nighy somehow manages to show his great personality through the craziest prostheic ever and the the Yes, it was long, but I was thrilled to be watching this entertaining movie the entire time. Movies like this are as essential to summer as a trip to Dairy Queen -- you know it's not the best quality, but for pure fun and escapism it can't be beat. Johnny Depp is excellent, Bill Nighy somehow manages to show his great personality through the craziest prostheic ever and the the supporting pirates are gleefully fun to watch. This isn't trying to be high art, I don't think people should judge it as such. Expand
  57. J.Lohmann
    Jul 8, 2006
    Great Movir. Depp is fantastic and funny. Finally, a great summer movie!!!!
  58. Pratt
    Jul 8, 2006
    I can't believe i'm hearing all this whining...anyone who claimed to have had a boring time watching this movie must have drunk a fifth of nyquil before sitting down in the theatre. As far as a plot goes yes the story arc is weak, and yes the characters are underdeveloped, but the first one wasn't made famous for script depth...it was made famous because it was so fun to I can't believe i'm hearing all this whining...anyone who claimed to have had a boring time watching this movie must have drunk a fifth of nyquil before sitting down in the theatre. As far as a plot goes yes the story arc is weak, and yes the characters are underdeveloped, but the first one wasn't made famous for script depth...it was made famous because it was so fun to watch. And, you now what, as a sequel it more than delivers back twice of the enjoyment of the first one. Seeing Johnny Depp prancing around and finding himself a new scapegoat is hilarious simply because he plays the part so well. Also anyone who said the CGI was bad surely must need eyeglasses...i found myself fascinated by Davey jones and his nautical cohorts. Also, the Jones character was made even better for me thanks to some spot on voice acting by Bill Nighy. Also, i noticed many complaining about the length of the film, the two plus hours was fine with me, because unlike some bloated superhero film I watched two weeks ago, the pacing was great and I had fun all the way up to Barbosa's second coming. Anyone who enjoyed Supertrash over this needs their head checked. 8 out of 10 Expand
  59. CamdenS.
    Jul 8, 2006
    A liitle long but entertaining and fun. some moments of belly aching laughter including a great sequence involving a large mill wheel. The villians are slimy, sleezy, gooey and funny -- the best of all worlds - beneath and above the sea!
  60. BrettC.
    Jul 8, 2006
    I don't get all the critics on this one... since when is it not enough to be a fun summer movie.
  61. JoeAverage
    Jul 9, 2006
    A welcome way to escape the heat on a Saturday afternoon, just don't expect to remember much of the film the following morning. Despite all its wasted potential, X-men 3 had at least some resonant scenes.
  62. KyleH.
    Jul 9, 2006
    Just watched the first movie last week and saw Dead Man's Chest tonight and I loved it. It's going down as one of my favorites!
  63. MichelleC.
    Jul 9, 2006
    Not as good as the first, but this is a fun and entertaining movie. Johnny Depp is amazing as always and has incredible chemistry with Kiera Knightly. I would caution parents with young children as this can be gross and graphic. Special effects are delightful and action sequences very satisfying. For those of you who like movies to have a clear cut ending it does not come here. I get that Not as good as the first, but this is a fun and entertaining movie. Johnny Depp is amazing as always and has incredible chemistry with Kiera Knightly. I would caution parents with young children as this can be gross and graphic. Special effects are delightful and action sequences very satisfying. For those of you who like movies to have a clear cut ending it does not come here. I get that there is another sequel coming, but still thought this one deserved a better finish. Expand
  64. BritneyB.
    Jul 9, 2006
    IMO, this movie actually deserves a 9, but I think a lot of people were too hard on it. I found Dead Man's Chest to be everything I hoped it would be. There are plenty of laughs, and amazing quotes. Like Pirates 1, having Johnny Depp could most likely make or break the movie (at least at the box office). However, I found Orlando's acting to be a big improvement over his decent, IMO, this movie actually deserves a 9, but I think a lot of people were too hard on it. I found Dead Man's Chest to be everything I hoped it would be. There are plenty of laughs, and amazing quotes. Like Pirates 1, having Johnny Depp could most likely make or break the movie (at least at the box office). However, I found Orlando's acting to be a big improvement over his decent, but not outstanding, performance in the first film, especially in the scenes with 'Bootstrap' Bill. The plot and character development was impressive, and the feeling of randomness that you get from skipping around from character to character adds to the film, as long as you're paying attention and can keep up. I have seen the movie twice already (once at midnight on the 7th) and can't wait to see it a few more times in theatres! Expand
  65. JamesG.
    Jul 9, 2006
    It does what it is supposed to do and is honorable in its pursuit.
  66. ScottN.
    Jul 9, 2006
    Not as good as the first and too many tangled plot points, but action-packed (after the first 20 minutes) and satisfying eye-candy.
  67. NavneetS.
    Jul 9, 2006
    An absolutely underrated movie! I loved it!
  68. David
    Jul 9, 2006
    Pure Popcorn. Loved it. Just go and enjoy. Johnny Depp is magic as Captain Jack Sparrow.
  69. N.Delwel
    Aug 7, 2006
    I'm glad I saw the first part the day before I saw the sequel - all the running gags, unusual characters and uncanny places are completely in line with the first movie, which makes the sequel seem kicked in at the last minute after counting the fees from the first. Nonetheless, this movie will have you grinning if not laughing at numerous moments. The story is all new and makes room I'm glad I saw the first part the day before I saw the sequel - all the running gags, unusual characters and uncanny places are completely in line with the first movie, which makes the sequel seem kicked in at the last minute after counting the fees from the first. Nonetheless, this movie will have you grinning if not laughing at numerous moments. The story is all new and makes room for a third, and the zany adventures have only become zanier, with battles in the weirdest places and escapes defying the laws of gravity. It's a fun and clean sequal to a movie you might want to see beforehand. Turn off your mind, switch off the logic and have a great time. Expand
  70. DiamondSea
    Sep 11, 2006
    this movie was great, it had action, adventure, romance and comedy, it has been on in my town since June when it was released, and I don't live in a small town.
  71. kevint.
    Nov 13, 2006
    I though it was full of thrill.
  72. SuzanneC.
    Jul 11, 2006
    i can't believe people are saying that this film wasn't as good as the first one. it had more action, more comedy, more twists, more exciting characters and an amazing cliff hanger. the first one was fantastic but this one topped it in my book. i saw it the day after it was released and it got amazing cheers when it started and had more when it finished. it was amazing and i can't believe people are saying that this film wasn't as good as the first one. it had more action, more comedy, more twists, more exciting characters and an amazing cliff hanger. the first one was fantastic but this one topped it in my book. i saw it the day after it was released and it got amazing cheers when it started and had more when it finished. it was amazing and should be a definite oscar winner for johnny!!! Expand
  73. AlL.
    Jul 10, 2006
    Entertaining, but these silly summer blockbusters are getting way too long (yes, I'm looking at you Superman). Seems like editors don't have any kind of pull in Hollywood any more. Director won't cut out the fat, the producer won't cut anything expensive and as a result these movies are getting bloated, protracted and boring. This one is no exception. Longwinded scenes Entertaining, but these silly summer blockbusters are getting way too long (yes, I'm looking at you Superman). Seems like editors don't have any kind of pull in Hollywood any more. Director won't cut out the fat, the producer won't cut anything expensive and as a result these movies are getting bloated, protracted and boring. This one is no exception. Longwinded scenes with pointless uninspiring banter or alternately bulky exposition, punctuated with lengthy action set pieces which, while an undeniably rollicking good time, added nothing to the story whatsoever. Knightley was great, Depp seemed to be gritting his teeth and thinking of the money, and Orlando Bloom was just a pretty-looking mannequin. So why an 8? Because I work in the CG industry and I have never seen better work any other movie ever. Absolutely seamless, and very, very beautiful. The work on Davy Jones's wet, squishy visage was in a class of it's own. I live for the day when work of this calibre turns up in a story that would actually make the effort worthwhile. Expand
  74. Michael
    Jul 11, 2006
    I have absolutely no idea where all these naysayers are coming from. Every single person I know who has seen the film, agrees that this movie truly establishes the series as the best original film franchise since Back to the Future and Indiana Jones. This trilogy will go down in history books, and will be deemed as timeless classics. And Davy Jones is beautiful. He is truly stunning, and I have absolutely no idea where all these naysayers are coming from. Every single person I know who has seen the film, agrees that this movie truly establishes the series as the best original film franchise since Back to the Future and Indiana Jones. This trilogy will go down in history books, and will be deemed as timeless classics. And Davy Jones is beautiful. He is truly stunning, and is easily the most iconic movie villain since Darth Vader, and the old time classic Disney villains like Maleficent and the Queen from Snow White. The running time absolutely flies by, and there is alot more storyline and inventive action sequences than the first film, which was a rather swift plot dragged into a 2-hour swordfight. It's eye-candy, it's sensationalism, and it perfectly picks you up where it left off and drops you off gasping for breath. Do not listen to these bizzarre people that did not like; there is not a single thing more you could ask for from a popcorn movie; and it's so refreshing to see such a wonderful film that is NOT adapted from silly fantasy novels or overrated comic books! Because when you get right down to it, all the films borrow from the ride is the name itself; plotwise, the films borrow more from the Monkey Island computer games. See it now! Expand
  75. JustinD.
    Jul 12, 2006
    I loved it! Sure, the opening was slow, but the second half more than makes up for it. And as for being "too scary" for little kids, I took my 3 and 5 year old brothers and the only thing that scared them was the "Lady In The Water" trailer. The movie itself was riveting! Best movie I've seen in a while! Can't wait for POTC: At World's End...
  76. Katssunflower
    Jul 13, 2006
    Its quite simple to enjoy this movie: have a sense of humor, accept the interwoven legend with history, and step into Pirate's world. Stick to the code. Otherwise you will be another frustrated soul whining about length, confusion, and boredom....gross.
  77. BobR.
    Jul 13, 2006
    Lots of fun.....but the next movie will make or break this one.
  78. AndyM.
    Jul 13, 2006
    Aside from the length (30 mins too long) and the hugely derivative ending (that blatantly steals from a multitude of films - Jaws, Star Wars, Star Trek 2, LOTR) there is just enough of the original magic to make it worth viewing. Perhaps it has suffered from over-inflated expectation? Judging from some of the comments here, I think so. Regardless, it has some truly excellent effects, and Aside from the length (30 mins too long) and the hugely derivative ending (that blatantly steals from a multitude of films - Jaws, Star Wars, Star Trek 2, LOTR) there is just enough of the original magic to make it worth viewing. Perhaps it has suffered from over-inflated expectation? Judging from some of the comments here, I think so. Regardless, it has some truly excellent effects, and dashes of physical comedy that would have brought a smile to Chaplin's face (the kebab sequence, the rolling wheel?!). Expand
  79. KieferH>
    Jul 13, 2006
    ...not much to say about this one...didn't live up to the expectations of us all i believe...not too shabby though....a little tedious to watch....*asi asi* ( spanish for *so so*)
  80. GerronK.
    Jul 13, 2006
    This is a fantastic thrill ride from beginning to end! From the stunning special effects, to the always dependable Johnny Depp's performance, this movie defines the genre of summer blockbuster. I will admit that the movie seems to be veering off course several times, but that didn't deter me from having the best time at a theater since last year's "Batman Begins".
  81. BobF.
    Jul 14, 2006
    An entertaining flick, but the end is very unsatisfying--like an empty chocolate truffle. It was obviously designed that way so that the story is completed with the next installment. I am very surprised that other reviews did not mention this.
  82. ChrisA.
    Jul 14, 2006
    I can't believe everyone complaining about the cliffhanger ending. "Fellowship of the Ring" ended the same way, but everyone thinks that's the best movie ever. "Dead Man's Chest" was a great fun movie that gets you pumped for the final film.
  83. Sinn7
    Jul 14, 2006
    This is the best movie I have seen in 3 years (when the 1st one came out). It was so funny that at one stage I found myself clapping as I laughed! It was also more exciting than the 1st movie as I was literally on the edge of my seat for the last fifteen minutes.
  84. JoshuaJ.
    Jul 14, 2006
    Extremely entertaining! Great special effects, Great family movie. A movie for all ages. Not as corny as the first but still a good movie. If you go in there expecting anything more then a good time, then youre mistaken. Dont go in there looking for one of Depps more dramatic performances and dont go in there looking for Depps range as an actor. This movie is the definition of a good time Extremely entertaining! Great special effects, Great family movie. A movie for all ages. Not as corny as the first but still a good movie. If you go in there expecting anything more then a good time, then youre mistaken. Dont go in there looking for one of Depps more dramatic performances and dont go in there looking for Depps range as an actor. This movie is the definition of a good time at the movies! Expand
  85. TylerW.
    Jul 16, 2006
    I've heard everything on the spectrum for this movie, from too dark and different from the first, to the same old crap. I watched this movie opening night with the expectation of it holding the bar set by the first one. Coming out of the theatre I realised I'd experienced a much different movie from the first, a much darker and more character driven movie. Oddly enough I also I've heard everything on the spectrum for this movie, from too dark and different from the first, to the same old crap. I watched this movie opening night with the expectation of it holding the bar set by the first one. Coming out of the theatre I realised I'd experienced a much different movie from the first, a much darker and more character driven movie. Oddly enough I also find myself disagreeing with those who think this movie is funnier. I enjoyed this movie, and hold it up to par with the first: a moodier atmosphere, deeper characters, and a step away from typical romanticism and cheesy lines, all of which play to my preferences. Worth seeing if you have an open mind, dont expect every inch of novelty the first one had (it is the same series after all), and are willing to give the characters some room to grow. Final thoughts: Yes it is noticably long & Davy Jones' is incredible: flawless animation and excellent acting seemlessly combined. Expand
  86. ChrisR.
    Jul 17, 2006
    Kevin B. nails it on the head. This isn't meant to be a cerebral undertaking, and is generally entertaining and satisfying as a wonderful excuse to enjoy 2-1/2 hours of air-conditioned summer escapism (3 hours if you count the never-ending trailers). As the inevitable middle-child, however, it casts anything succinct to the wind, and lets loose all manner of multiple Kevin B. nails it on the head. This isn't meant to be a cerebral undertaking, and is generally entertaining and satisfying as a wonderful excuse to enjoy 2-1/2 hours of air-conditioned summer escapism (3 hours if you count the never-ending trailers). As the inevitable middle-child, however, it casts anything succinct to the wind, and lets loose all manner of multiple artifact-grabbing, sub-plot weaving chaos, to the point where it feels more like a video game than a movie. I felt the need to hit pause more than once to check where I was, what artifacts were in the inventory, and where next to set a course. Jack's compass, all allegory aside, is the true barometer of this film, spinning wildy in search of the next destination, ultimately settling on the obvious third installment, as if anybody didn't know, main characters included... Expand
  87. TomH.
    Jul 18, 2006
    I don't know why I even bother to read the critics' opinions! No, it wasn't as good as the original, but it was still just plain great fun. Sometimes that's all we want from--or demand of--our movies. So sit back, relax, and just enjoy the ride. Apparently the so-called professional reviewers aren't able to do that anymore!
  88. MikeJ.
    Jul 19, 2006
    Fantastic Ride! I enjoyed every minute of this film. I can't wait for the next film to find out what happens next.
  89. DonnaD.
    Jul 21, 2006
    This movie has everything in it, campy humor, witty humor, action, drama, romance, great special effects and of course, Capt. Jack. I've seen it once and plan to see it again, just too much fun!
  90. JoanieS.
    Jul 21, 2006
    Its a perfect sequel. Johnny is still right on! I've already seen it 7 times, plan on seeing it more.
  91. D.J.M.
    Jul 21, 2006
    Not as good as the first one, and a little hard to understand. Other than that it was an all around good movie.
  92. RichardR.
    Jul 22, 2006
    It made me laugh, jump and it was all I expected it to be, a great action comedy. Anyone who expects anything more from the plot or Orlando Bloom's acting will be disappointed. Im afraid. In short, watch it!
  93. DavidW.
    Jul 23, 2006
    I thought the film achieved it's goal. It's a fun pirate movie, and a worthy follow-up to it's predecessor. Johnny Depp continues his antics that gave the first movie it's charm. Orlando and Keira do fine in their respective roles as well. I don't quite get the comments of the plot being overly complicated. If anything, I was relieved that there is a decent STORY I thought the film achieved it's goal. It's a fun pirate movie, and a worthy follow-up to it's predecessor. Johnny Depp continues his antics that gave the first movie it's charm. Orlando and Keira do fine in their respective roles as well. I don't quite get the comments of the plot being overly complicated. If anything, I was relieved that there is a decent STORY here, and not just a movie that relies on it's action sequences, which, by the way, were well done in my opinion. I loved it, and my 8 year old son loved it as well. Expand
  94. CraigR.
    Jul 24, 2006
    Great fun from start to finish.
  95. JrymyL.
    Jul 25, 2006
    I enjoyed all the fight scenes,the visual effects and the acting,especially Depps but overall the story wasn't very interesting. This movie had to be made just to fill in the space between the first and the third movie.
  96. John
    Jul 27, 2006
    I loved the film. I think it was too complicated for many American minds.
  97. PaulK.
    Jul 6, 2006
    Takes a while to get up to speed, but the last hour is a fun filled action packed adventure. The special effects encompassing Davy Jones and crew were fantastic. If you're a fan, definitely check this one out in the theater.
  98. Nicki
    Jul 7, 2006
    it was very confussing...hard 2 follow along.
  99. MattA.
    Jul 7, 2006
    Honestly... it wasn't as bad as the critics are making it out to be. It was thoroughly entertaining throughout, although it was a bit too long.... overall it was good... I was never blown away by the first so, so i felt that this one lived up to the last one.
  100. ColbyS.
    Jul 7, 2006
    True, it wasn't as good as the first and yes, it was about a half hour too long for its own good, but overall, most of the critics who reviewed this were either PMSing or so full of sh.. they had to let it spew out of their mouths to trash this film. It was rousing enough to keep me awake until it finished at 2:30 AM at the midnight showing; in short, although not Oscar material, True, it wasn't as good as the first and yes, it was about a half hour too long for its own good, but overall, most of the critics who reviewed this were either PMSing or so full of sh.. they had to let it spew out of their mouths to trash this film. It was rousing enough to keep me awake until it finished at 2:30 AM at the midnight showing; in short, although not Oscar material, it's funny, unpredictable, action-packed- a good summer movie. Expand

Lively is an odd word for something called Dead Man's Chest, but lively it is. You won't find hotter action, wilder thrills or loopier laughs this summer.
  2. Reviewed by: Dan Jolin
    Too long, and too wrapped up in its various plot contrivances to notice it’s veering off course. But Jack just about pulls the wheel back, aided by Verbinski’s flair for cartoonish comedy action.
  3. Depp is the comic gel that holds the whole enterprise together. The performance is a total delight that somehow combines Bugs Bunny, Peter Pan and Charlie Chaplin.