6.4

1. Apr 13, 2014
    It rates among the worst films I have ever seen. All the galmour and glitter, all special effects and grand music cannot save this movie from over-acted nonsense and completely pointless story. The first film in the series was a solid 9, the second a shaky 7, the third closer to 3 than to 4. This one has hit rock bottom with a deserved ranking between 1 and 2. I am so glad I did not have to endure this movie in a cinema. Expand
  2. Feb 3, 2014
    A less satisfied movie in comparison to the previous movies of this sequel, but overall is it watchable.

Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides got a great beginning, and the actors are awesome, and the story is good, but it's a little lengthy at some places, and it wasn't that much new and unique things in this movie. The film is at many scenes slow and lengthy, and the tempo
    wasn't that high, which made it a little boring.
    The ending thought, was wonderful, and the movie is spectacular when it comes to the quality.

Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides gets a 7/10
  3. Jan 23, 2014
    I can't say I hated this movie, it truly feels like the best rendition of the ride out of all the Pirates pictures. On Stranger Tides is solid and has a really cool love element to the story with the mermaids. But other than that, you don't care much or at all about any of the main characters and for the most part is quite boring and forgettable. This was a mistake.
  4. Nov 29, 2013
    This is not a PotC movie. It had none of the great humor as the first three, let alone that it was a pointless adventure filled with a more predictable amount of stupidity. The acting was okay for the most part, but that didn't make up for almost anything else in this movie.
  5. Nov 5, 2013
    I didn't expect there to be a fourth film after the epic third. "Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides" was supposedly made to bring a fresh life to the franchise. Sadly, it does not achieve that. It does not have those creepy-crawly effects that made the first three so exciting.
  6. Nov 2, 2013
    Without most of the original cast, 'Stranger Tides' is a disappointment, no matter how funny Johnny Depp is as the bumbling yet charismatic Sparrow. It rewrites history with Blackbeard included, and I found Penelope Cruz an annoying It'll still make money, though how much remains a question.
  7. Oct 27, 2013
    the fourth movie of the pirates of the caribbean franchise was made as an reborn for the franchise,but they done absolutely the same thing with a much worse story.
  8. Oct 16, 2013
    To be honest I did think this iteration of the Pirates franchise was rather fun. It wasn't good, but it was fun to watch.

Stranger Tides on the whole feels more like The adventures of Captain Jack Sparrow, than Pirates of the Caribbean. The movie seems to focus on him for almost the whole movie. At least the first three movie had diverse story arcs (even if a little messy) but Pirates
    4 is really just one story, with a few side stories that really aren't expanded on enough to be worthy of note.

Acting is more or less what you can expect, although I did find Depp was perhaps laying on the "Jack Sparrowness" on a little thick at times.

Effects were mostly decent, but a real step down from the last 2 movies. I figure they were trying not to overwhelm the audience and hide a bad movie with gimmicky effects. My hats off for the attempt, but regardless it's still a lazy plot that offers very little new. On the other hand the only really new-ish element Ian McShane was fantastic as Blackbeard, a real shame his character was dumbed down so much

Overall:
    On Stranger Tides is an entertaining movie, but not a good one. It offers little new. Recycled tropes and gags from the previous movies and over uses Jack Sparrow far too much, giving little attention to the other characters.

Jack Sparrow is like Rum. Too much on its own and you'll get sick, but if served in moderation and it'll leave you feeling warm and happy.
  9. Sep 19, 2013
    Captain Jack is back, and better than ever. This movie really feels fresh and goes back to the roots of the first one in a combination of pure moviemaking heaven. Everything down to Sparrow's beard seems to be new and exciting in Pirates numero cuatro.
  10. Aug 30, 2013
    'Mermaids, Zombies, Blackbeard.' I am really impressed. I wasn't expecting it so good. Johnny Depp is..........simply the best!!! Enjoy it! Perfect!!! WOW!!
  11. Jul 16, 2013
    I didn't really like this movie. I REALLY liked the previous PotC movies. But this one... It just didn't feel the same. It was boring, story was pretty bad, If I was Johnny Depp, I would've quit playing Jack.
  12. Jul 15, 2013
    This film is all Jack Sparrow, erm, Captain Jack Sparrow. I really loved this film (while some old characters are missed, the new ones are equally entertaining and fresh). I liked the script (while not totally original, it had some witty stuff in there and some good twists and turns), I loved the music (Hans Zimmer does not disappoint), the direction (the fresh new feel and darker feel with the new director), the action was awesome, the acting (Johnny Depp as Sparrow again is just divine and entertaining) and the visuals were spectacular. I really loved this one and I greatly look forward to the next installment. Expand
  13. Jul 7, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. First off, I want to make it clear that I highly enjoyed every PoTC film, even the sequels up to AWE. Even with all their flaws, they still kept the charm of the franchise. This film, however, takes all that away.

Something I want to mention first, that no one here seems to have done, is that Penelope Cruz's character is such a blatant Mary-Sue. For anyone familiar with bad fan-fiction or books, that's how this character feels the entire time. She's the one woman Jack Sparrow ever 'had feelings for', she's just as good of a swordsman as him, and she's not only Blackbeard's first mate but also his daughter. She begins as Jack Sparrow's impersonator, then after a sword fight with him, he claims that 'only one other person knows that move' when they both do a tactic that negates each other. Then he pulls her into his arms and kisses her.

That's another severe issue of this film. This is the one time I've ever seen Capt. Sparrow act so out of character. He isn't the same, sarcastic, get-my-own-way person. They've exhausted his character to the point that he's been forced to be something he's not supposed to be. He's now cowardly and bumbling, almost like either Pintel or Ragetti from the first three films.

Then there's Blackbeard. He's apparently not only a pirate, the most infamous and horrifying pirate in existence, but a wizard. Yeah, he can control ropes on his ship to wrangle his crew, steer his ship with a gesture of his sword and stores ships of his victims in tiny bottles on his shelves. Now, I don't mind the mysticism if done well, like with characters like Barbossa and his immortality from the curse, or Davy Jones and his curse to ferry the dead. But at least they were both fictional and given a proper back story. Blackbeard was a real pirate, and a damn frightening one. But he was anything but a wizard. And he wasn't given any back story as to how he could do everything he did.

Next, there's Barbossa, or whatever's left of him. In between the third film and this one, he lost his leg and became a Captain in the Navy. When in history has ANY Captain of a pirate ship and crew managed to become a member of the Navy, especially with such ill intent as Barbossa? And the whole 'prophecy' at the beginning about a one-legged man leading to the downfall of Blackbeard was made so painfully obvious, I felt a physical pain in my head.

Then there's the mermaid subplot. Alright, I have to admit, I like the lore of mermaids being vicious vixens of the sea. But even that lore gets brushed under the carpet almost immediately with the mermaid they capture. They need a mermaid's tear to make the Fountain of Youth (a point I'll get to next) work. The one they capture acts fierce at first, but then falls for the priest on the ship because 'he's different from the others'. First off, at one point, the priest gets angry that they don't call her by her name, but then he thinks it's ok for him to give her a name instead of properly ask her what hers really is. Second, at one point, he's threatened with his life when the mermaid doesn't cry. Instead of telling her not to do it, a cliche but a noble one, he says, and I quote, "If you could produce a tear, I would be grateful". A bit of a douchy move, and he still gets his throat slit. But it's ok, because she REVIVES him shortly after. Vicious vixen you are not.

Now for the Fountain of Youth. In the film, it requires a sacrifice, where one person must give his/her remaining years to another. It also requires two goblets, the mermaid tear being in the life giving one. Ok, that's a nice take on it, if it wasn't already used hundreds of times before. And the whole switchero with Blackbeard and Cruz was the most predictable thing I've ever seen. If it was the Jack Sparrow from the first film, he would have tricked them both into sacrificing their combined years so that HE could get extra life.

I can't really say how the film's 3D effects were, because I only watched a TV film version. But from the scenes where it was obviously made for 3D (a spear up close to the camera or a skeleton hand reaching forward), I can tell, they're unimpressive. The whole gimmick of 3D is a waste of money, time and vision. Some of the scenes that could have been enhanced by it, like the Fountain of Youth or the scenes at sea were either so foggy or so shaky that 3D would have made it worse than better. Once again, I can't speak from experience, that's just how it felt watching it in 2D and wondering how it must have been for those who shelled out the extra $5 for blurry, cross-eyed inducing glasses.

I'm running out of characters, so I'll make my final thoughts brief. I do not consider this a PoTC film. I consider it Live Action PoTC Fan Fiction. From self-inserts to out of character moments to plot inconsistencies, that's exactly how it felt for me. Perhaps if it was made separately, without Capt. Jack or the few recurring PoTC characters, it could have worked. Otherwise, it's just a mess.
  14. Jul 4, 2013
    Un total desastre comparado a lo que me parecía que se venia después del épico final de el fin del mundo, después de todo resalto la nueva idea que lamentablemente no resulto
  15. Jul 3, 2013
    On Stranger Tides is really kind of heartbreaking. Johnny Depp and Geoffrey Rush have glorious onscreen chemistry and get to be onscreen together more than ever before...but they can't save the movie by themselves. Ian McShane is a fantastic actor...held back by a weak script. The idea of a cleric and a mermaid falling in love in the side plot is cool...but is executed horribly. On Stranger Tides is trapped between a central cast with several excellent actors and an awkward, clumsy script that has a cringer for every good line (and there are quite a few of each). The film has a distinctly lower budget than previous installments, and it shows: the only naval battle that could have happened is called off due to lack of interest on the part of the Spanish fleet, even though Barbossa (now a British privateer) is rarin' to go.

The worst part of the movie is also its best part: Ian McShane as Blackbeard. Ian McShane delivers the single best performance in the movie, with perfect lines, perfect inflection, perfect everything...and what makes him the worst part is that he's tied to the clumsy wreck that is the rest of the movie, making him a constant reminder of what could have been if only the film had a better budget and a more consistent writer. Jack Sparrow does prove that he can carry a story on his own instead of being the trickster spotlight-stealer to Will Turner, but it's a weak story through no fault of Jack's.

On Stranger Tides is a good movie stuck in the shell of a bad movie, chained to the wall by its inconsistent writing, weak secondary characters, and low budget.
  16. Jul 3, 2013
    Not the worst Pirates of the Caribbean movie, but still not a good movie. This series started off strong with The Curse of the Black Pearl, but after two awful sequels I lost interest in the series. I went into this movie with an open mind because it looked like a good way to reboot the series. Unfortunately despite it's new cast and plot the movie failed. Johnny Depp is back as Captain Jack Sparrow, one of his most famous roles, and gives a good and goofy performance. However outside of his performance and a some funny moments the movie is dull. The plot is uninteresting and the action is dull and lifeless. There's also a lot of predictability. Rather than being a fresh new start to the Pirates of the Caribbean series it ends up being another poor entry in a series that failed as soon as the first sequel was released. Expand
  17. Jul 3, 2013
    This was a big disapointment. I wasen´t looking much for to at all since none of the previous cast was back from the first three movies (besides Johnny Depp). The movie was a complete disaster. The story was pointless, and it did not make any sense to make, because it has nothing to do with the previous movies. Captain Jack Sparrow, you went on the wrong ship.
  18. Jun 30, 2013
    Much like the characters in the film going after the Fountain of Youth, the fourth instalment of the Pirates franchise is attempting to recapture its youth, and while cleaning up the cast by saying goodbye to the likes of Orlando Bloom, Kiera Knightley and most of the supporting cast, which were welcome changes, a confusing and loose script along with a story that simply doesn’t match up to the series previous heights and leaves a lot to be sought after when the credits roll.
    The performances are admittedly as strong as ever, but getting rid of many faces should not mean replacing them with a hoard of new ones, ones that are underused and irrelevant to the story. Johnny Depp makes a welcome yet restrained return as Captain Jack Sparrow, the timid nature that doesn’t hit the hysterical and utter weirdness in previous films is no fault of Depp’s, but the writing, which trades in wit and cunning piracy for set pieces galore and 3-D opportunities.
    Again, many people are heading to find the Fountain of Youth for very different reasons, Geoffrey Rush returning as a one-legged Barbosa is not a privateer and is out for revenge, while Jack is placed aboard the ship of the legendary Captain Blackbeard, but I felt that Ian McShane’s portrayal of this historical figure was too quiet and, well, normal. The inclusion of his daughter Angelica (Penelope Cruz) is the necessary femme fatale for a franchise like this, but she is surprisingly fresh and her scenes with Captain Jack are not wasted. As is expected of the franchise, the visuals are wonderful, but not properly balanced with the story, there isn’t much reason for them to be there.
    Unfortunately, there is simply isn’t enough depth to the film to see is as nothing more than either a tired franchise or one running out of original ideas, this review is being done after a second viewing, my first showing was a very different experience, I was simply glad to see a nice change of pace, but as a fourth instalment, it has lost its steam, its all about the explosive atmosphere that apparently needs to come along with it, a dumbed down and timid experience that seems to simply have been traded off to the highest bidder.
  19. Jun 1, 2013
    Definitely not one of the better ones of the franchise, but it still brings a good quality of entertainment. It is a fun watch with a new tale to tell. Jack Sparrow will always keep these movies lively.
  20. May 27, 2013
    I don't like any of Pirates of the Caribbean movies, I specially dislike the character Jack Sparrow, annoys me. Just a boring battle scenes. I don't want to see battles, I just want to story.
  21. Apr 30, 2013
    Advantages: Alot of new blood to invorgorate the series. No more Will and Elizebeth. They where seriously dragging down the series after the first movie so thank the gods. I didn't hate it... but its forgettable. Disadvantages: 1. Its one of those rare examples where to much exposition only seems to drag the movie down to be needlessly complicated without doing much for character development, and missing out on alot of action scenes.
    Essentially theres alot of dialogue to establish each sides motivations so we know what they want and who they are. But the movie also spends alot of time telling us the rules for the fountain of youth. Alot. But why? Why does there have to be all these rules, and how do they know?
    The relic they need don't say anything about it. So how? And where did they find the magic cup anyway? How did they find out the rules of this magic place if no one thats been there is alive? Where did this mermaid tear stuff come from?
    2. For a pirate movie theres no naval battles. Captain Jack, who's supposed to be the proganist this time, doesn't actually do any big sword fighting scenes. The last fight in particular is really confusing like how Barbosa turns his back on the one legged man that he knew was destined to kill him.. who the hell writes this ****
    3. Zombies... blackbeard can't just be a mean pirate.. he also has to be voodoo master. He can control all the rope on his ship... and how? It just seems thrown at us with no explanation how it works or its limitations.
    4. Characters... Captain Jack doesn't care about the fountain of youth.. a man that has been established as a a guy who carse about his own self preserveation you'd think he would be the most interested in this especially because he has the map for the place.
    he gets dragged into it all, but then inexplicably decides not to back to find his ship when he has a chance to even though he supposed to not care about the fountain of youth..
    Barbosa doesn't have much to work with plotwise, character development or even much motivation..
    5. Its not as long as previous movies but it still feels long.
    6. 3d still looks bad, especially here.

Suggestions: More swash buckling, have naval battles, make Jack Sparrow do more awesome stuff, make him fight more, have more motivation to fight and get the treasure rather than being ignorant all the time. I'm fine with him being ignorant sometimes, but he should be pretending to be ignorant alot of other times while having is own plan/desire.
  22. Apr 6, 2013
    When I first heard that there would be a new Pirates of the Caribbean movie without Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightly, I was a bit skeptical. However, this movie greatly exceeded my expectations. It was funny and it was finding a very interesting item in the Fountain of Youth. Jack Sparrow and Barbossa are great as they usually are. Gibbs is still one of my favorite characters. He was just great. In my opinion, this was a good movie that was very funny and underrated, especially compared to the other installments in the series. Expand
  23. Feb 21, 2013
    It's a nice film, but i didn't understand the story line very much. but i loved the funny scene of jack sparrow
  24. Jan 23, 2013
    In my opinion, is the second best in the series. Entertaining and fun to the end.
  25. Dec 29, 2012
    Yawn... they should have just stopped making Pirates of the Caribbean movies after the first one, the first one was great, but the sequels just keep getting lamer and lamer. This latest one was the most boring Pirates of the Caribbean yet, even Jack Sparrow was lame in this one, it's like he didn't even want this next installment to exist either. +1 for the 2 minute scene with the mermaid attack, the only part of this movie worth watching. Save yourself your valuable money and time and skip this one completely... Expand
  26. Dec 7, 2012
    Much better than I was expecting. I was completely entertained through the entire film. The 2nd best of the saga despite having very little to do with the first 3.
  27. Nov 7, 2012
    The plot is rather dreary and the writers do all they can to overload it. In all honesty, this last Pirates was the equivalent of stuffing a plane full of pirate cliches, and though it fails to finish its flight, it's fun trying to land it.
  28. Sep 3, 2012
    Starting by saying I loved the first three, although I had to see the third one two times to fully understand it and not fall asleep (170 mins, people!) but here: it's kind of this eclectic, stand-alone film and very focused on other elements like love, history and mermaids rather than swashbuckling battles. Let's be brief: The Mermaid Attack and the Final Battle were the best scenes, with the Mermaids being the second best scene in the franchise. The movie was fairly good, but not as good as the first three. Expand
  29. Aug 6, 2012
    Not a good performing movie that resurrect the series despite having the most out of the money in the box office overseas. The story and plot were so weak that some parts of the movie were just a mess. There shouldn't be a fourth Pirates movie starting with this. Easily the worst movie of the series thus far.
  30. Jun 7, 2012
    I liked the first movie a lot but I absolutely hated the last two films so despite my better judgement, I decided to give this film a chance considering the removal of Bloom and Knightley, who imo were terrible in the first three films, and that I had already watched the previous 3 films.

I was rather suprised that I not only enjoyed watching this movie but I actually liked it. It
    brought back the fun and adventure that the first film had and imo is the second best film in the series. I suprisingly can't wait to see a sequel for this. Definently worth giving a chance, Especially if you watch any of the other Pirates films. Expand
  31. May 31, 2012
    Johnny Depp is back with the most iconic role of his career, Captain Jack Sparrow. It is time to fly the pirate flag again. Thiz time, he is on a quest for the Fountain of Youth without two other main characters, Will Turner (Orlando Bloom) and Elizabeth Swann (Keira Knightley). But do not worry, it does not mean that thiz sequel will be less fun than the previous trilogy. They sail at almost full speed, the infamous pirates like Blackbeard (Ian McShane) and my favorite Captain Barbossa (Geoffrey Rush) are about to make a rousing new adventure. Thiz sequel is directed by Rob Marshall who is formerly known for his successful musicals like CHICAGO (2002) and NINE (2009). For the first half hour, Captain Jackâ Collapse
  32. May 12, 2012
    Pirates of the Caribbean: on stranger tides is brilliant, it may not be the best movie of its series, but it's still brilliant. I don't really see why a lot of people don't like it, it's pure enjoyment, its got amazing action scenes, great acting (especially Johnny Depp), very good special effects, funny moments and awesome music! From best to worst (pirates of the Caribbean movies): 1. The curse of the black pearl. 2. Dead man's chest. 3. On stranger tides. 4. At world's end. None of them are bad, they're all really good. Expand
  33. May 11, 2012
    The story had some flashy moments along with the visuals, but it really does get out of hand. This sequel is a little fun, but somewhat unecessesary.
  34. Mar 25, 2012
    Welcome back Pirates. Though not as good as the orignal with all new characters there is finally some life back in this franchise. Clever, witty and funnier everything comes together to make for a solid film.
  35. Dec 31, 2011
    I love the first three (yes, I am a defender of the sequels) but this film is pretty awful, it feels overwrought and undercooked. If you cant get the original cast back at least add some character development to Jack Sparrow! No interesting new characters and the script features no wit unlike the other films
  36. Dec 21, 2011
    AS always as the main story of Pirates of the Caribbean gets stronger the worse it is told. Penelope Cruz spices it up with Johnny Depp almost enough to get through but since it has less action and humor it loses me. I give this movie 57%.
  37. Dec 12, 2011
    It is certainly an improvement over the third part. It is fun, action packed and well acted but it lacked the humor and the originality of "Dead man's chest".
  38. Dec 11, 2011
    After two disappointing prequels, this one may not be as original as it should and Depp's performance is not captivating anymore but, "On Stranger Tides" surprisingly brings new life to the franchise.
  39. Dec 9, 2011
    This movie's very existence is a testament to how good Depp was in the first Pirates. Disney spawned three more movies simply on the echo of Captain Jack's personality. And that's it. For the last three movies are increasingly void of soul, plot, or sense whatsoever. They're just a bunch of weird ideas spinning around a character who deserves better. This one has mermaids. Outside that fact, I'm not sure I will (or will want to) remember anything about it. If you're wondering--like I was before I rented it, "Will I be glad I gave this series one more chance?" The answer is no. Expand
  40. Nov 28, 2011
    Best POTC movie yet. I completely enjoyed the fact that Bloom and Knightley were not in this sequel so the movie can focus on the on main character, Captain Jack Sparrow.
  41. Nov 28, 2011
    These movies have gotten weaker since the third installment. This is the weakest but it is still a fun family watch. I does leave it open for a sequel which hopefully is never made. People seem to be expecting gold from other thing Johnny Depp touches, some of us have seen all of his movies and know that, that is expecting a whole lot from him!
  42. Nov 20, 2011
    While it is completely the weakest of the entire series, On Stranger Tides is pure fun. It takes a while to get up to speed (the first half had me worried it would end up in the same area as Indiana Jones 4 or Rocky 4 ended up in), but once it picks up, the movie doesn't stop until the finish. Johnny Depp is always a joy to watch on screen, and always finds a way to work with his part. Just look at Secret Window: a predictible and contrive movie, yet Johnny Depp still sorta shines through. At this point in the series, it is starting to feel a little tired. Pirates of the Caribbean is really playing its last chips here. Not all the originality is there, though the mermaids were one of the more interesting things seen in the Pirates movies. Jack Sparrow's jokes are starting to get a little tacky, but there are still a few that will draw genuine laughs. Let's just hope Depp keeps to his word with "Did everybody see that, because I won't be doing it again." A fun one to watch, but the series is steering into some dangerous tides here. Expand
  43. Nov 16, 2011
    I don't know why anyone would say this is a bad movie. Johnny Depp is hilarious, yet awesome, in every Pirates of the Caribbean movie and that is something you cannot disagree with. I have to admit that when I first went to see the movie, I had heard from my friends it sucks and etc. But when I got to see it by myself, I was happy. That's what I felt. I was happy to see that they made a new Pirates of the Caribbean movie, and I'm gladly looking forward to the upcoming fifth and sixth movies. Expand
  44. Nov 3, 2011
    The Pirates of the Caribbean movies have come along way since the first one came out, it was fun, mysterious and intriguing. Unfortunately for this newest addition to the Pirates universe it simply fails to deliver. There are three major drawbacks which dragged my personal rating for this move down to a 3.

First of, they tried compressing a to big of a story into one movie. The story
    lacks coordination and transfers the viewer from location to location, from plot to plot, from character to character in to little time so that you will just not be able to tell what exactly is going on. You will have no emotional bond with any character or the stakes at hand. The overall story of this movie is just simply to big to be put into a few hours. Second, the characters presented in this movie are just flat out bad. The leap in time between the previous movie and this one is just way to big to make you understand anything about any character involved in this movie. Jack is of course back, which is a pretty big drawback, considering he is actually the main character in this movie. In all the previous movies he is a fun and enjoyable character, BUT ONLY because he was WASN'T the main character. The entire movie now evolves around to many lame ass jokes and hes annoying personality, which was fun in the previous movies because hes personality was present in much smaller doses. Sparrow made the movie way to annoying and he's trickery and fighting action has become way to predictable because of it. Hector Barbossa suffered immensely from the huge time leap between this movie and the previous one. He pretty much resides with the Spaniards all the time, diminishing the characters value and time on screen, which is of course really a waste. Black beard also suffers from an obvious lack of time and story, he is just to big of a character. You will just not really get to know him as we got to know Davy Jones and Barbossa. He's daughter also suffers this drawback, although she is definitely not as interesting, which she could have been.

Finally we get to see this sailor priest whom, I guess, needed to fill up the more serious and romantic role in this movie, but failed miserably. The love between a mermaid and this sailor could have certainly be more fleshed out. Yet again, it suffers because of lack of time and story.

And last...3D fails, yet again. Clearly this movie lacked any of it. The occasional thrown dagger that gets a 3D makeover or scenery that looks as if it has a bit more 3D depth to it, but all in all it just simply lacks 3D. Conclusion: Very disappointed. It is way to obvious there was to much ambition (or lack of it) for this movie and it suffered heavily because of it.
  45. Nov 2, 2011
    I was slightly wary of this film after seeing the bad press and negativity surrounding it, but I have to say, it was pretty good. Definitely not as good as the first film, it is about on the same level as the second. The action sequences could have been handled better and some of the acting was quite stale. Blackbeard however was the biggest disappointment of the film; he wasn't Bristolian enough and didn't seem too evil.
    The film was not a disappointment but a surprise, I hope they make a sequel to improve on this one.
  46. Oct 30, 2011
    If Pirates 4 had more laughs it could have past but the film lacked something surprising and original. Jack Sparrow is well acted but has not changed since the first movie, I like the guy but where is his growth, his character arc? The movie was an improvement from the 3rd movie but still lacked real charm or a story I cared about. There are a couple of scenes in Pirates 4 that had me interested for a time such as the mermaid attack but overall it seems too familiar and predictable. Expand
  47. Oct 23, 2011
    I expected a moderate amount of entertainment, but this movie dragged on. The search for the Arthurian Grail has been transmuted into the search for the Fountain of Youth, with a map left for posterity by Ponce de León himself. Johnny Depp reprises his role of Jack Sparrow very nicely. Penélope Cruz is the lure for international audiences, but she delivers her lines without expression. And while everyone else manages to look as authentically grungy as a pirate can get, Cruz always looks like she's made up for Vogue, with squeaky clean hair and perfect skin. Even when she's dressed for piracy on the high seas, Cruz is the only one in the bunch who looks like she's off to a Halloween party for rich socialites. And vampire mermaids? Original but too jarring. One does not expect a mermaid to have elongated canines any more than one would expect Lassie to have them. And dogs have real canines. The only reason to make this movie is if you expect to make a billion dollars, and that's exactly what the producers did. Expand
  48. Oct 20, 2011
    On Stranger Tides is far from the best 'Pirates' movie but it isn't as bad as people say. After the seeing the disastrous third film I didn't know what to expect. I didn't expect much and this probably did me good as the film seemed okay to me. The visuals and acting was great but Blackbeard never really seemed as cool as he was in real life. Story was a little off and there were parts that were supposed to be for laughs but didn't really work. Another thing that made this sort of disappointing was the lack of time in a ship, the 3 Pirates film spent most of the time in a ship and because of that this didn't really feel like a pirate movie. On Stranger Tides never reached the greatness of the first film but it was better than I expected and better than the last film. Expand
  49. Oct 7, 2011
    Bad, just bad. This film is not the one I expected from the Pirates of the Caribbean saga. How can the story and the techniques of the films is so boring and monotone like that?! The character didn't have their own characteristics, and the plot is so bad. Don't waste your time for this things, you deserved more!
  50. Sep 28, 2011
    A combination of new director Rob Marshall, lack lustred Penelope Cruz and some really strange pacing (whether its writers or editing), this movie lost what the previous movies had in abundance, heart, soul and wickedness. The movie seemed "alcohol free", dont scare the little ones and tamed down too much for its own good. I think the reigns where brought right in on this one, and it shows. The jokes where off, clever lines missing and the dark, rum filled, dinginess was bought into the sunlight. A little over cooked. unfortunately, I wont be holding my breath for another instalment. Perhaps this was one movie too far. Expand
  51. Sep 19, 2011
    Although not as good as the original pirates of the Caribbean movie. It is much better than number 3, if you are looking for good entrainment this fits the bill.
  52. Sep 14, 2011
    Saw this movie with my wife and teenage daughter at the local cinema.Great story, brilliant acting, and wonderful movie. Although there were a few scenes where the story seemed to drag on a bit. But all in all a very good movie.
  53. Sep 4, 2011
    Okay. Hot new girl, plenty of action, three different campaigns. All twisted into a journey of trying to find the Fountain of Youth. There are the Spanish, who want to destroy it, because it interferes with their religion. There are the French, who want to make their king immortal. And there are the pirates, whose desire is to make Blackbeard immortal. The story is sound, and character relationships are intriguing. I'm sure it would've been plenty more enjoyable if I remembered any of the characters from the previous films. This is a good, action filled movie, perfect for the cheap seats or shaw video on demand. Expand
  54. Aug 28, 2011
    "Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides " undoubtedly an enjoyable film . But it failed to pass the last films . With a weak and less funny script then the last films this one actually is in number 4 ! Action sequence was great . new cast Pen Cruz was charming but Blackbeard (Ian) seems a bit low ! And really missed the regular cast of the fast three films most of all Knightly & Bloom . hope they will be back for the next film ,actually the have to other then that who knows what gonna happen to the 5th film .Barbossa (Rush) was the only one who seems more funner in this film . as for Depp theirs nothing to say because he is The Legendary Captain Jack Sparrow . Story : 1.1/2 [Weak and less funny script ] Direction : 1.2/2 [Verbinski was so much better ] Acting : 1.6/2 [Awesome Depp,charming Pen,funny Rush but weak McShane] Sound :1.7/2 [Amazing just like the previous films ] Edit & Effect : 1.5/2 [Seems a very very little eye glowing ] OVERALL : 7.1/10â Expand
  55. CRL
    Aug 27, 2011
    Johnny Depp, Penelope Cruz, and Geoffrey Rush combine to make a thoroughly entertaining, suitably cheesy, and sometimes completely hilarious addition to the Pirates franchise.
  56. Aug 25, 2011
    Pirates 3 was truly the epitome of everything wrong with this franchise. It was long, it was confusing, it forced in comedy when it didn't need it, it tried to balance too much at once, and above all things, there were moments that were truly incredible. The worst thing in cinema is not a bad movie, but seeing a bad movie that clearly could have been a great movie. That was the frustration with Pirates 3. The movie had a giant maelstrom with two ships duking it out in a whirlpool, and there wasn't a good movie around it. Fortunately, Pirates 4 corrects the mistakes of the past. It's just the right length, it isn't confusing, the comedy doesn't feel (as) forced, and it fits in all it needs. What it's missing is anything to wow the audience. I didn't think it was possible, but this is one boring Pirates movie. Expand
  57. Aug 25, 2011
    I am drawn to Jack Sparrow stories like sailors are drawn to mermaids... The franchise brings out the same kind of feelings I felt when going to the movies as a kid. Penelope is a good addition to the team, however I did miss the chemistry between Sparrow and Will Turner.
  58. Aug 23, 2011
    Qu'il est bon de revoir Johnny Depp/Jack Sparrow!!!! Mais ce n'est pas avec ce quatrième opus qu'on arrivera à revoir la flamboyance de La Malédiction du Black Pearl...Heureusement, on retrouve l'humour de la saga, de l'action, de bons personnages et acteurs (Penélope Cruz et Ian McShane) et un scénario bien plus travaillé que pour les deux films précédents, sans oublier les effets numériques et l'excellent travail de Hans Zimmer pour la bande originale (comme toujours!). Néanmoins gâché par un côté trop burlesque, un manque de séquences spectaculaires et un manque d'explications sur certains détails, La Fontaine de Jouvence arrive tout de même à redonner du charme à la saga! Expand
  59. Aug 18, 2011
    I´m impressed, I though that for being the fourth movie it was predetermined to be bad (as much of the new sequels of today) but it is strangely good, the characters take time time to do their jobs, it have a good plot and the fun is mixed in the action as all pirates of the caribbean movies, in other movies you can find a lot missing pieces of information (I wonâ
  60. Aug 8, 2011
    This pirate franchise has just sank to the bottom of the sea. The plot was flat, the characters were boring, the action was horrible, what else is there to be said about this film?
  61. Jul 23, 2011
    Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides is a good film. It does have funny scenes and Cpt. Jack Sparrow is still crazier then ever. The problems with the film is it doesnt beat the first one that i saw and some things in the film didnt make sense. I would give this film a low matinee!
  62. Jul 22, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. From the disjointed story, to the one-dimensional characters, this movie simply should not have been made. Where the occasional plot hole or convoluted storyline in the first three movies could be overlooked because they were otherwise greatly enjoyable, this heaping pile of dung fails to engage on all levels.
    Captain Jack has become a parody of his formerly glorious self. Think Wolverine in X-men 1-2 vs. Wolverine in X-men 3 and "Wolverine". Shudder. The scriptwriter failed miserably at catching the essence of the first three movies in the franchise.
    Character dialogue is completely nonsensical. Just utterly, mind-numbingly pointless and stupid. This is a movie that just doesn't make any sense. From glass boxes as horribly glaring and stupid plot devices, to the villain vowing to kill off characters who are central to his plans, and generally, everyone is being a bit trigger happy concerning key figures without whom this entire enterprise would fall apart for all concerned.

Kiera Knightley and Orlando Bloom have been outdone, Penelope Cruz and the priest are easily the most annoying characters I have seen, in any movie, for a very long time.

Characters do things for no reason. Just pure **** insanity. Mermaids handing cups around randomly to save their captors and tormentors, people being sent out on errands to fix a bit of the plot off camera. I can't go on. Read cheat700000007's review, and you'll get the gist of it. Pretend this never happened.
  63. Jul 20, 2011
    It was better than my expectations, but it's very apparent that Disney were just trying to milk as much as possible out of this incredibly popular franchise, by sacrificing some of the quality. Still, there's never really a dull moment, with Johnny Depp pulling it all together brilliantly, and it's still a must-see film.
  64. Jul 18, 2011
    EVERYTHING Johnny Depp (Captain Jack Sparrow) did was wonderful & hilarious. Captain Jack Sparrow was aready sooo exciting that I didn't seem to care if they went into dept about the Mermaid Myth or any other characters' story. Sure, a lot of things in the movie were overly-exaggerated (like a man jumping over the boat after hearing about man-eating mermaids) BUT it was funny. I mean, everyone already knows from the other series that you cant take someone like Jack Sparrow seriously so nobody should've expected a serious pirate story. Expand
  65. Jul 16, 2011
    This is a Pirates franchise movie. Nothing new, but that's not bad, it's just nothing new. I felt like we had seen it all before, just different pirates and different monsters or theme. You could watch this at home and have missed nothing from the big screen. It was good while I was there, but felt dirty afterwards :)
  66. Jul 16, 2011
    This was probably my least-favorite movie in the series - partially because I missed Keira Knightley and Orlando Bloom - but I still enjoyed it. Johnny Depp is fabulous again, and it had several plot twists that kept it interesting ... although I think there were plot points that could have been handled a little better.
  67. Jul 13, 2011
    On Stranger Tides is a disappointing movie. It lacked the sense of entertainment and imagintation that the first two had..I hope that 5 & 6 would be better, but as far as i know, i won't watch this movie again..
  68. Jul 6, 2011
    Disappointing cast , senseless story , monotonous setting and 3D???? .... officially the worst movie of the summer ... from the short dweeb with the magical sword to the lousy jerk with the wooden leg the movie stinks of under developed characters, lousy script and powderpuff makeup (u can barely look at barbossa) .... Depp's character was significantly overused and got really boring amidst occasional sparks with Penelope Cruz .... all in all watching this movie will probably give u the "wtf was that all about" feeling... Expand
  69. Jul 5, 2011
    Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides is an enjoyable movie filled with a perfect mix of humor, suspense and action, a recipe to have at the edge of your seat. Johnny Depp easily lives up to his reputation bringing wit and humor to set completing the newest addition to the Pirates of the Caribbean saga and making it a pleasure for all (well twelve and onwards).
  70. Jul 4, 2011
    I've enjoyed the first three films in this series, but this one was a disappointment. Sure there are some parts of it that are good, but overall it disappoints. Predictable plot and weak chemistry between the characters.
  71. Jul 3, 2011
    In my opinion, this pirate of the Caribbean was the worst one yet. The story was terrible, throughout the whole movie. There was also barely any good action. If you are looking into seeing this movie, i suggest seeing something else.
  72. Jun 29, 2011
    How could you be so heartless- Kanye West
    This movie came from an original movie that was completely based on adventure and heart. The main characters found themselves in daring adventures that thrilled the audience but the only reason we cared so much was because we actually cared about the characters. In this movie its the same formula as the original but its all put up just to make a
    movie. The characters have no depth despite them trying to create fake depth. It seems like any summer movie put out to make a few million dollars. Expand
  73. Jun 29, 2011
    A surprisingly good movie. The script is a lot less convoluted then at World's End and Dead Man's Chest. The acting is fantastic by all the leads, and finally getting rid of the stale relationship between Elizabeth and Will did wonders for the film. This installment comes in second behind Curse of the Black Pearl in terms of quality. A good movie, surely for Pirates fans, and even for those who are not. Expand
  74. Jun 28, 2011
    On Stranger Tides feels so much smaller in scope to the original Pirates movies. This small scope and lack of old characters makes this adventure flick feel very... well, unnecessary to say the least. Johnny Depp does a good job in this one, and plays a still surprisingly entertaining Jack Sparrow but overall the film lacks a sort of anchor to hold it down and make it special, no pun intended. I'll give this movie the benefit of the doubt and say that it is much improved over At Worlds End and has a decently understandable plot. While the plot isn't terrible it's not very good either. so that leaves this movie being just middle-of-the-road mediocre. The characters in this film are really not that interesting and there are only a few stand out scenes. There are two characters in this film who seem to be fillers for Orlando Bloom, and Keira Knightley's characters, and let me tell you they really not done well. These two characters have their own side story and they really drag the film down during their screen time (which thankfully isn't that much). The good thing is there are still a lot of funny Jack Sparrow scenes that we have all come to love. On Stranger Tides is not a bad film and doesn't do anything outstanding either, it just feels really unnecessary. Expand
  75. Jun 25, 2011
    Congratulations Disney you officially ruined a perfectly good trilogy of movies. I'm glad the drive-in that i saw this movie at had this as a double feature with Cars 2, because if it hadn't and only showed this piece of **** i would have demanded my money back. The only real reason why Penelope Cruz was in the movie, was for her good looks, which is a waste of a great talent. If you're a director that plans to put add a female character for the sole purpose of looking good, put a good looking actress with no talent in there. You'd save yourself a lot of money. I want to know what on gods green earth the director was smoking when he thought it would be a brilliant idea to, not only have Captain Barbossa Captain a Royal Navy Ship, but emblazon the British flag in the background behind him. I mean really, did the flag HAVE to be that big. Captain Sparrow, who i agree is the flagship of the trilogy, and without him all four movies are pointless, not to say this one is just because he's in it, because it's the most pointless of all the movies, i commend Jack for being the captain that goes down with his ship (the trilogy). The movie is missing two keys that would have made it a better sight to see. Quite frankly the trilogy would be better off if this movie had never been made in the first place. To put it even simpler, if i was given the option of watching this movie again or watching my **** go down the toilet, the choice would be easy... watch my **** go down the toilet, the horror ends quickly and dosen't drag on for two and a quarter hours. Expand
  76. Jun 22, 2011
    On Stranger Tides is a frustrating fun time! The cast is great, the script improved, the action is breathtaking, and the pacing better. The movie is a bit stale, no lying there, and some of the new characters were a bit of a waste, but Pirates was still a fun time!
  77. Jun 20, 2011
    The Black Pearl is freedom, but it doesn't exactly play a part in this very different addition to the Pirates of the Caribbean series. In fact, if you were looking forward to seeing the old crew again you might be a bit disappointed. However, Mr. Gibbs, Captain Barbosa and Captain Jack Sparrow are all back and are the only characters needed to keep it familiar while adding new characters to a more fresh story. The story itself isn't completely original though. Being loosely based on the novel On Stranger Tides by Tim Powers it also has tastes of Treasure Island and The Last Crusade in it, but don't get me wrong it was a great story nontheless. Don't bring your young children along to it. Pirates of the Carribean was never really for simple minds to understand. I am not saying it has a complicated story, but much like the others, you have to pay attention to the dialogue, not just the pretty colours. There is definitely enough action in the film as well as a tiny bit of romance, but no more than you'd expect of Jack. On that note, the mermaids were great to watch as were most of the added special effects. Like all the Pirates of the Caribbean movies the effects are believable and that is all that matters, it doesn't need to pop right out into your face. That was the downside with this film. The director seemed a bit too aware that it was a 3D film and may have changed a few things because of that, that just didn't need to be changed. Overall, it is an awesome film. Watch it at the cinemas or watch it at home, either way if you were already a fan, you should watch it. If you weren't previously a fan, this episode is quite different, so you should still watch it. Expand
  78. Jun 19, 2011
    While this is not as highly entertaining as the first 3 films of the pirates saga, it is still a fun installment even though the 3D was useless. The story could have been better. After the last 2 had so much story to them it just feels like they were trying to make it too simple. I would say this would be a great rental on a friday night. 5/10
  79. Jun 19, 2011
    WHY? That's the only thing I want to know, did we need another one?... NO! The action looks great but is so plentiful that it becomes tedious and boring. The film never fully lifts off and ends up being a Pirate movie that sinks.
  80. Jun 18, 2011
    Disney stop the madness. This movies themes are all out of wack and the plot or lack of it was fairly flat. The acting of Penelope Cruz deserves her a raspberry however Mr Sparrows acting and witty lines does help keep the movie afloat
  81. Jun 18, 2011
    The 4th in the series didn't strike it with me for a few reasons. For example the story was not linked and seemed jumbled up at times which didn't make sense. There are some good points though as there is some rare but funny humour and the action scenes are that bad. However the biggest let down was the fact Jack's 2 sidekicks were missing and it just didn't seem the same without them. Overall maybes one to rent when it's available. Expand
  82. Jun 16, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't the best in the series. Being the fourth, I wasn't expecting much, but it wasn't as good as I thought it would be. There are some plot holes, an unnessicary romance between a priest and a mermaid, and Blackbeard, who was supposed to be the main villian, didn't really seem like a bad guy. At most, he burnt someone alive, but that was the worst he ever did. In short, you don't need to see this movie because the story isn't really branching off from the first three, but it still has its enjoyable moments. Expand
  83. Jun 15, 2011
    gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood
  84. Jun 15, 2011
    If you are looking for fun, nice scenes, decent acting, charismatic actors, then this movie have it all. If you are looking for a story to believe and trust, definitely this movie lacks it. But, you have to go and watch it, you won't regret it, more than two hours will pass just like that.
  85. Jun 14, 2011
    I went to the cinema in the hope of new, grate Pirates of the Caribbean. And I get movie, which was interesting in second part (I mean 70-140 min). Relief are Jack Sparrow's jokes, which were great, like in 1-3 parts.
  86. Jun 13, 2011
    It's a highly entertaining movie, maybe not as entertaining as the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie, but it's really good. Like the first three movies, that one received mixed reviews from professional critics, too. I'm not really surprised about that, but fact is, the success of the movie shows us that they are at least not perfectly right with their evaluation... I was a bit skeptical about that film being without Elizabeth and Will, I really like those characters and thought it wouldn't be Pirates of the Caribbean without them. But it is! It's a good story, well-crafted (just like I expected) and the actors are good, too (or is anybody here thinking that Johnny Depp is not great in his role as Jack Sparrow). In conclusion, I don't think it's the movie of the year and it's not perfect, but the movie has made me feel anticipation because of the next two of that kind, so it did his job ;) Expand
  87. Jun 13, 2011
    Easily the worst of Pirates of the Caribbean, I watched it in French with some friends and it wasn't great. Although there are some good and funny moments, it is clear that the saga is falling on itself, as well as Jack Sparrow. The first scenes were horrible, too much of a caricature and some characters weren't plausible (such as the fat English nobleman) and Barbossa looked awful in his costume. After this terrible ouverture it does tend to get better, bringing in the mermaids was a great idea in my opinion but the love story between one of them and the religious guy just falls right flat, especially when he gives her that stupid name "Syrena"! Everyone in the theatre was like "omg..., how stupid is that!". I know that "syrène" is "mermaid" in English (so it doesn't actually sound false in English), but they could've changed it for **** sake! Anyway, once you've passed the low quality barrier of the movie, you can enjoy the end, which is the best part. So that sets the bad story telling and awful characters. The movie could have been saved by SFX, unfortunately, those aren't great either (worse than it's predecessors) and the environment felt too overdone, too much pushed like an American movie. It feels wrong. All in all, I suggest you watch this movie only if you're a Pirates of the Caribbean die-hard or if you're a complete retard who enjoys stupid movies and has no cultural background. (Sorry for being harsh, but I'm really pissed too have spent money on it). Expand
  88. Jun 13, 2011
    ...had a great time with this 4th POTC installment. no complaints.....action was great, a little romance, horror, fantasy, humor, history, mystery, a bit of everything in this movie. my biggest enjoyment was all of the historical references combined with humor. So far I would tie this one with the 2nd one as my favorite.
  89. Jun 12, 2011
    On Stranger Tides isn't the most ground-breaking film of the year, and despite the film's name, it sticks resolutely to familiar tides throughout the whole movie. However, it succeeds on the platforms that it contests: cinema visual glory, pulse-racing action, good looking people hacking through wilderness in search of fabled wonders Indiana-Jones style, and Johnny Depp's swashbuckling-with-a-side-of-guyliner performance as Captain Jack Sparrow. Enjoy it for what it is, and don't spend too much time thinking about the cannonball-sized holes in the plot. Expand
  90. Jun 12, 2011
    Seeing all these 10's makes me remember just how subjective entertainment is. Or how someone's got a PR firm trying to goose the metacritic ratings. Seriously though, for me, this was just an awful movie. The story was blah, the fight scenes where boring, and even bits which might have been interesting were ruined because the script gave everything away up front, so there weren't any surprising reveals. And the ending was ripped right from the third Indian Jones movie, and you saw it coming from a mile away. I suppose they won't retire this franchise until it stops making money, but please producers, can you try a little harder for the next one? Expand
  91. Jun 8, 2011
    Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides is a perfect summer flick, but that doesn't necessarily make the flick itself "perfect". It has a very good cast, if you don't include the Holy man played by Sam Claflin, it also has a very great atmosphere, as all of the Pirates of the Caribbean films do, it's biggest flaw is it's messy plot and flow. It's very well paced through the first hour and then it becomes very rushed and before you know it, it's over. Expand
  92. Jun 7, 2011
    it was a great movie so fun! it was hilarious and was definitely worth it.if you haven't seen it you should. it was the best movie Ive seen this year.
  93. Jun 6, 2011
    Good film. I very love play of Ian Mc Shane. Interesting story. Touchable moments. Great Barbossa. And I waiting for sequel. And of course buy this film.
  94. Jun 5, 2011
    After two disappointing sequels the PotC franchise is back with Pirates of the Carribean: On Stranger Tides and I was optimistic that they could rediscover the magic that enthralled us all and make up for Dead Man Chest and At Worlds End. However after an exciting and an opening with great potential i'm afraid it was all downhill from there. Jack Sparrow is back this time however he is on a quest for the Fountain of Youth however he runs into an old flame in Angelica (Penelope Cruz) who entices Jack and ultimately he ends up onboard The Queen Anne's Revenge, the ruthless pirate Blackbeards (Ian McShane) ship as he himself is after the Fountain of Youth. And thats were there the problems begin. The characters just aren't as appealing and fail to connect with the audience like the previous characters did in the first three movies. Cruz is decent enough but when you look at how good Keira Knightley was theres no comparison. Ian McShane doesn't convince as a ruthless pirate or the villain of the movie like Geoffrey Rush or Bill Nighy did as Barbossa and Davy Jones. The plot itself and more importantly has big issues. For the first time in a Pirates film I didn't really see the point of what was happening it just seemed irrelevant. Many criticisced how overly complicated At Worlds End plot was but this just felt very sub-par and as the film ran along it fell flat even the ending which was too predictable. Instead, it seems as though Rob Marshall has focused on delivering to much action scenes rather than focus on building the story or film or even try and get us interested in a character other than Jack Sparrow because after the 100th sword fight it becomes slightly tiresome. Thankfully for the film Johnny Depp still does the business as Sparrow and Geoffrey Rush is brilliant as Barbossa however they are treading finely as it seems even with Depp on top form the jokes are wearing thin and the Pirates franchise seems to becoming dull, predictable and stale. There will no doubt be another sequel however I hope for the sake of what was a great film franchise they have a large rethink in their approach and get the proper people in place who can bring freshness aboard a sinking ship! Expand
  95. Jun 4, 2011
    Great movie! Far better than the last two, with Jack finally being elevated out of buffoonery and back into the eccentric-but-sharp character he was in the first movie. Writing was much better, plot much slicker. Depp obviously loves this character, and Rush and Cruz did an excellent job as well. Very entertaining!
  96. Jun 4, 2011
    The whole Pirates of the Caribbean franchise is a bit like a bottle of coke. It starts off all fresh and fizzy, then there's the middle where it tastes a bit off but you finish it anyway, and then there's that bit the bottom that no one wants to drink because it just looks like black water. That's what On Strange Tides is like. Flat coke. The plot is just one ridiculous scene after another, the characters are boring and have no development whatsoever, and there are so many loose ends you could probably weave a rug. It's a classic let's-just-get-this-thing-over-with kind of movie and adds nothing to the series whatsoever. Not really worth anyone's time. Expand
  97. Jun 4, 2011
    Slightly entertaining movie, but the story felt very choppy. I loved Jonny Depp in this movie but thats about it. There were just so many things that weren't good, I don't even know where to start. Lets just say overall disappointing. Worst Pirates movie so far.
  98. Jun 4, 2011
    While this film outshines it's two predecessors massively and could stand next to "Curse of the Black Pearl" independently, it does have some minor trouble with irrelevant subplots and scenes the film could've done without.
  99. Jun 4, 2011
    I was waiting for this movie before sex months since the 3rd part was a great part, I think every thing is good on 4th part except the English language. I think the way they said the words just changed. In the first three parts, I enjoyed to the words coming from the Heroes. The way just was looking as history. Simply, the 4th part is still exciting on its story, actions and adventure. I think 3rd part was the best. Expand
  100. Jun 2, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I was really excited to see this movie and watch Johnny Depp amaze me again with his acting and at first it was looking to be a pretty good movie until near the end of act 2 and the rest of act 3 it kinda went well overboard lets just say. At the beginning it look to be a funny classy pirate adventure as jack sparrow searches for the fountain of youth while collecting the ingredients for the thing to work properly along with his ex-girlfriend surprisingly and the nasty most awesome pirate of them all BLACKBEARD!! oh and mermaids come to the picture, nice. So its exciting at first that is until act 2 starts to drag going on what could have been a simple search and find quest and then near the end you be scratching your head in utter confusion asking "why they do that? It doesn't make sense." quite a lots especially when the Spanish army show up because in the end, well lets just say that's the biggest reason why you be asking WHY!? and that's what ultimately hurts this film to a point that it kinda sucks. my recommendation is that if you love Pirates Of The Caribbean it will be an okay popcorn flick if nothing interests you to go see but for the others who never seen the first 3 I best avoid it until DvD rental if you really want to watch it someday because this ones the weakest of the movies. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Bob Mondello
    Jun 1, 2011
    Small kids won't really appreciate Johnny Depp, either, though frankly he's getting to be less fun as the series ages, possibly realizing that what's riskiest in Pirates 4 isn't walking the plank, but jumping the shark.
    I've never seen a film in which what was actually onscreen seemed so irrelevant.
  3. Reviewed by: Lawrence Toppman
    May 21, 2011
    This installment, which is subtitled "Give Us Your Money, Sheep," really isn't a Pirates of the Caribbean movie at all.