8.6

1. May 26, 2011
    They say the first is always the best and it certainly applies here. Pirates of the Carribean: The Curse of the Black Pearl is the start to arguably one of the best film franchises to date. If you like comedy, action, drama, romance- actually, if you like watching movies in general, you have got to see this one. I don't usually give films a solid ten (I think this is the first) but I canThey say the first is always the best and it certainly applies here. Pirates of the Carribean: The Curse of the Black Pearl is the start to arguably one of the best film franchises to date. If you like comedy, action, drama, romance- actually, if you like watching movies in general, you have got to see this one. I don't usually give films a solid ten (I think this is the first) but I can find no flaws here. It has a great plot, great performance by the cast, great visual effects and very memorable music. Just watch it already. Expand
  2. BenB
    May 28, 2007
    64? Why do the critics dislike this movie so much? Every single person I know who has seen this movie loves it! I mean LOVES it! All the girls say it's their favorite movie! It has everything you good want: good acting, humor, spectacular action scenes, romance, and one of the best soundtracks ever created. Not to mention Geoffrey Rush and Johnny Depp acting together! This movie is 64? Why do the critics dislike this movie so much? Every single person I know who has seen this movie loves it! I mean LOVES it! All the girls say it's their favorite movie! It has everything you good want: good acting, humor, spectacular action scenes, romance, and one of the best soundtracks ever created. Not to mention Geoffrey Rush and Johnny Depp acting together! This movie is awesome. If it doesn't make you want to grab a sword and go off to sail the seas, then you're probably dead. Expand
  3. Aug 6, 2012
    The first and only the best movie in the series. While enjoying some of the great performances including the plot, characters and action scenes, Johnny Depp was at his most humorous state.
  4. Jun 11, 2011
    This pirate adventure tells the story about Jack Sparrow, who meets a young woman named Elizabeth Swann after saving her life. One night, with the gold medallion she carries around her neck, she gets captured by the pirates aboard the Black Pearl by the evil Barbossa who is using her to get the cave to find the treasure. However, the whole pirate crew is immortal due to the medallion andThis pirate adventure tells the story about Jack Sparrow, who meets a young woman named Elizabeth Swann after saving her life. One night, with the gold medallion she carries around her neck, she gets captured by the pirates aboard the Black Pearl by the evil Barbossa who is using her to get the cave to find the treasure. However, the whole pirate crew is immortal due to the medallion and can turn into skeletons. With the help of a young man named Will Turner, Jack and his other crew members plan to save Elizabeth and put an end to Barbossa's reign once and for all.

Wow. I was thrilled when I caught the screening of this in July of 2003 that I have one word to say about it and the word is: FANTASTIC!!! Johnny Depp was very hilarious as Jack Sparrow and he was a very good actor. Orlando Bloom (for some reason, was in the third LOTR movie, which came out at the exact same year this movie did) did very well as Will Turner, Kiera Knightley (from King Arthur) was so cool as Elizabeth Swann and she was so freaking hot! Geoffrey Rush was very frightening, yet entertaining as Captain Barbossa and the rest of the actors did very well at their performances.

The CGI was pretty cool and even the action scenes were so cool. The storyline was well-paced and the cinematography was great.

There is nothing negative to say about this film, so I am in good hands.

Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl is an excellent Disney pirate adventure based on the popular ride from DisneyWorld and one of the best movies ever made from the early 2000s.

5. Jul 29, 2013
    Excelente trabajo mostrando talento, originalidad y una forma de demostrar que disney puede dar accion buena y no de princesas por un man si no puede sacar y sacarle el jugo a la accion
  6. Oct 17, 2010
    I think it is a very great movie. The atmosphere with the characters, especially Sparrow, the music and the settings are great. I can watch this movie over and over again and I can recommend this movie to anyone who likes this adventure-type of action movies.
  7. Dec 30, 2011
    Johnny Depp brings life to this breathtaking, exhausting, amazing and action packed film with a completely funny, unpredictable performance and the supporting cast does well too. I give this film 83%.
  8. LeeS
    Jul 10, 2003
    Finally. Tis... but all I need to say.
  9. Sep 24, 2011
    "The Curse of the Black Pearl" is a movie that focuses too much on preposterous humor. It kills the movie, but Johnny Depp's performance is the sole thing that saves the messy film.
  10. GrobMan
    Jun 13, 2004
    Throw all the insults you know into one sentence and you have an apt description of the film. Boring, overly long, totally unbelievable (in the bad sense), unfunny, uninspiring and insulting. The only reason this crap-fest does not get 0 is because Depp works his *** off to try and salvage the sinking ship, but to no avail.
  11. KristinD.
    Jan 19, 2004
    yuck! I expected ten times better than what I saw! I just sat in the theater staring blankly at the screen, asking myself "what am I watching". Come on, Disney, you could of done better than that! Why couldn't you spend your time on something with meaning like FINDING NEMO?
  12. TylerC.
    Nov 27, 2003
    I have finally seen a Johnny Depp movie that I hate. I call this Titanic part 2. This movie masked itself as being an action/horror film and yet the sweethearts fall in love, evil is punished, and everything works out in the end. Just like real life right? I thought this movie was a treasure but it turned out to be fools gold.
  13. Mar 15, 2011
    Who knew turning a theme park attraction into a movie would create an awesome movie and an incredible trilogy! Thank you Disney! And thank you Johnny Depp for making Captain Jack Sparrow such an iconic character!
  14. Nov 9, 2012
    The best film that could ever be made about pirates. Despite some cliches, the film has striking and brilliant action sequences, witty dialogue, and many other great characteristics that make it all its own.
  15. EarlD.
    Aug 4, 2003
    I can't believe people like this?
  16. BobS.
    May 4, 2004
    I think this is an terrible film, i think it is too action packed and very predictable. I think Johnny Depp is terrible, i give one point to Geoffrey Rush though, he was good. Otherwise, a big let down.
  17. PaulaW.
    Jul 14, 2003
    To quote Beavis and Butt-head, "This sucketh more than anything has ever sucketh before," or something like that. This movie was a sprawling mess that dragged on for way too long. Johnny Depp's over-the-top swishy performance was interesting to watch for about five minutes, but after that it gave me a headache. A six-year-old could have written better dialogue. I could say more but To quote Beavis and Butt-head, "This sucketh more than anything has ever sucketh before," or something like that. This movie was a sprawling mess that dragged on for way too long. Johnny Depp's over-the-top swishy performance was interesting to watch for about five minutes, but after that it gave me a headache. A six-year-old could have written better dialogue. I could say more but I'd be wasting my time. Don't waste yours by seeing this movie. Expand
  18. RexA.
    Jan 9, 2004
    Formula trash. definitely a chick flick. I've just got to get me some dark eye liner!
  19. DAVE
    Jul 17, 2003
    One point for Johnny Depp, 1 point for Geoffrey Rush, Zero points for the plot, dialogue and cheesy special effects. Total junk.
  20. N.Jordan
    Jan 4, 2004
    I bet 99% of you are girls voting for your beloved "Orli" and Johnny. I can't conceive how this movie could be any good. No plot, lame skeletons, no nothing. I rather put my head in the oven before sitting through this torture ever again. I give it a 1 because Depp was ok, though he seemed high.
  21. Kathrine
    Jun 18, 2007
    I'm a teenage girl, and I know most girls LOVE Pirates Of The Caribbean. Yet, I did not like this movie at all. I thought it was boring, dumb, horrible acting and WAY to long. Yes, that's what I think and I'm a teenage girl. Now, let the gasping begin.
  22. Dox
    May 28, 2007
    Its stupid, its noisy, its messy, its full of terrible acting (except Depp) and silly jokes, its overrated, its catchy, its corny, and its dull; not dull enough to make it the most overhyped movie of all times, but surely dull enough to make it to at least top 10.
  23. ChrisC.
    May 22, 2007
    Awful. Johnny Depp is decent but the story's incredibly boring.
  24. PattyL.
    Jul 8, 2006
    The story sucked. Not nearly as good as the first one. The characters didn't even display the same personality as in the first. Seems as if the writers rushed through writing this one. Hugely disappointing.
  25. HaileyC.
    Nov 29, 2003
    The sound and special effects were cool. The humorous Johnny Depp lines, and the sexy Orlando Bloom. Keria Knightley did turn out to be a big star. i also wanna say hi 2 jd, ob, gr, and kk. Hailey Catherine Carr.
  26. CharlesF.
    Jan 31, 2004
    Sorry, Dave but you and your review go to Davey Jones locker. If you didn't enjoy Pirates, then you have no business having fun. Accept it for what it is, a jolly good time in the form of a swash buckling adventure. If you hadn't noticed more than 200 Metacritic posters took the time to review it, and the average score of 9 ranks among the very best ever for films with 200 or Sorry, Dave but you and your review go to Davey Jones locker. If you didn't enjoy Pirates, then you have no business having fun. Accept it for what it is, a jolly good time in the form of a swash buckling adventure. If you hadn't noticed more than 200 Metacritic posters took the time to review it, and the average score of 9 ranks among the very best ever for films with 200 or more votes. I wonder if Metacritic can confirm this fact? For those of you who haven't seen it as yet, don't miss it. You will love Captain Jack Sparrow, aka, Johnny Depp. Expand
  27. natalier.
    Nov 15, 2005
    Cool sweet.
  28. SimG.
    Oct 29, 2005
    Poor film in many aspects, but an amazing performance by Depp, one of the best actors in the modern game.
  29. Mar 25, 2012
    A smart and dark film at the same time. Yes it is a Disney film but is very scary. i enjoyed every minute of it. Jonny Depp's peformance is one for the ages.
  30. Nov 12, 2013
    Pirates sets sail with a witty plot.
    Pirates of the Caribbean succeeds with great acting from the likes of Johnny Depp who brings his character an irreplaceable flare. The movie never falls flat but never becomes great with an average plot.
  31. May 5, 2014
    A fun tale based off a ride. Johnny Depp owns this role and is debatebly his most known roleof all time. He is so funny and brings such a joy to the film.
  32. MaxM.
    Jul 10, 2003
    Please, these people are so on crack... this is the best Bruckheimer production ever! Fun and interesting! With Depp as a bonus and a great bonus at that! Jack Sparrow deserves a franchise more than any other character in the last 5 years!!
  33. TimL.
    Jul 9, 2003
    To a large extent, Bruckheimer and his ilk represent everything wrong with Hollywood. Producing overworked, underedited, bloated bits of cinema, their movies drive quality standards down and ticket prices up. "Pirates" is no exception, as the film feels terribly overdone and full of itself. Few characters come alive -- be they skeletons or sentimental sailors -- and the story longs to To a large extent, Bruckheimer and his ilk represent everything wrong with Hollywood. Producing overworked, underedited, bloated bits of cinema, their movies drive quality standards down and ticket prices up. "Pirates" is no exception, as the film feels terribly overdone and full of itself. Few characters come alive -- be they skeletons or sentimental sailors -- and the story longs to land legitimate momentum or force. Sure, there are plenty of summer "popcorn" films; this one, however, will probably leave you burnt. Expand
  34. KCReynolds
    Aug 4, 2003
    Johnny Depp and Geoffrey Rush were awesome - makes me want to be a pirate too!
  35. KateB.
    Aug 26, 2006
    What is with the critics who don't like this film? It's amazing! With Johnny Depp playing the main character it is great and the best movie in ages. The balance of action and everything else works, and I like it.
  36. AlexisJ.
    Oct 11, 2003
    This film is simply... perfect. depp is unbeliably perfect as Jack Sparrow. He has perfected his character!
  37. TaniaS.
    Oct 10, 2003
    It's a super movie!!! Depp, Bloom, Rush and Knightley are so good and a little secret for the girls: Depp is so cute and has so much humor! I was laughing all long!! Congratulations, Verbinski!!
  38. Melissa
    Dec 1, 2003
    Best movie I've seen all year. I enjoyed every one hundred and forty-three minutes of it. JD is cute, even when he looks like a pirate that just washed up on shore.
  39. MattD.
    Jul 11, 2003
    A fantastic movie. Loved Depp, loved the girl, Bloom's not my favorite, but that's personal pref. The biggest shock was the trailer for Haunted Mansion actualy looked pretty good.
  40. M.Austin
    Jul 19, 2003
    What a great surprise. When the idea for this movie first surfaced, my timbers shivered: pirate movie, based on a ride, lots of CGI - the perfect formula for bloated excess. But there was always the glimmer of hope that a Johnny Depp movie couldn't be without some merit. Thankfully, someone decided early on that they would counter the excesses of effects with an What a great surprise. When the idea for this movie first surfaced, my timbers shivered: pirate movie, based on a ride, lots of CGI - the perfect formula for bloated excess. But there was always the glimmer of hope that a Johnny Depp movie couldn't be without some merit. Thankfully, someone decided early on that they would counter the excesses of effects with an over-the-top-but-completely-in-character turn by one of the best actors of our day. When he is on the screen, it is hard to watch anything else for fear that you might miss something interesting that he has done, is doing, or is about to do - as defining a performance as he has given. Then they surrounded him with other actors capable of holding their own ground (especially Rush) or at least helping the plot along. And, though the script plods a little here and there, someone also decided paying attention to the dialogue and story would be important to keep adults in the seats. The result of all of this "planning" is a movie that is undeniably fun to watch. I saw the film 10 days after it opened, in a packed theater, and the crowd burst into applause at the end of movie and then again when Depp's name appeared on the closing credits. Both were well deserved. Expand
  41. AMovieCritic
    Very entertaining.
  42. AngelaM.
    Jul 22, 2003
    This movie was really reall REALLY AWESOME!!!! Johnny Depp, and Orlando Bloom are sooooooo hot in it! I just loved it!
  43. RajS.
    Jul 9, 2003
    I agree with Tim L. even though he bought the Fantastic Four shirt I wanted!
  44. Lassiter
    Aug 2, 2003
    Absolutely delightful. The best ride of the summer. Johnny Depp plays Captain Jack Sparrow with absolute swashbuckling pizzazzzzzz. Kudo's to all for making a great summer flick. Go see and enjoy.
  45. MaryL.
    Aug 3, 2003
    This the first movie I have gone to see 3 times in the first 10 days of release since Star Wars and it got better each time. Depp is phenomenal - pulling off this intoxicated-tripping-freedom loving-swishing-rastamon-pirate role. Rush, Bloom and Knightely were perfectly cast and Verbinski's over the top authenticity swept me away, while the humor and running gags added a dimension This the first movie I have gone to see 3 times in the first 10 days of release since Star Wars and it got better each time. Depp is phenomenal - pulling off this intoxicated-tripping-freedom loving-swishing-rastamon-pirate role. Rush, Bloom and Knightely were perfectly cast and Verbinski's over the top authenticity swept me away, while the humor and running gags added a dimension that made me feel like an intelligent viewer, as apposed to some exploitive action movies lately. Shiver me timbers, Cap'n - Yohoyoho. Expand
  46. KS
    Aug 4, 2003
    This is one of the best movies ive seen in a while. The only thing wrong with the whole movie is that Orlando's acting is a little...... bad. yea bad. But other than hat the cast is great, the consept is great, and its just a great movie. PLUS johnny is super hott and that just makes it all better for the chics that want to see it...
  47. Dr.Ed
    Aug 5, 2003
    What a wonderful surprise. Just tremendous fun. Sort of like Christmas in July. The best summer movie you will see. Enjoy.
  48. LarryT.
    Aug 8, 2003
    The story and plotting are not wonderful; but, the performances, particularly Depp's, make this movie the second best of the summer (after Seabiscuit). It is big, brassy and colorful - kudos to the design and cinematography departments. All the leads (and several of the supporting cast) are wonderful making this a film one can see more than once without any dimunition in enjoyment.
  49. YoHo
    Sep 6, 2003
    Loved this movie...its characters, music, plot, action, symbolism, humor, scenery, light-heartedness...a real classic!
  50. AminaW.
    Jan 3, 2004
    It' s the best movie ever and Johnny Depp is the best (read:hottest)
  51. VivianaG.
    Jan 9, 2004
    I luved this movie,Johnny Depp and Orland bloom hav great scenes together and i coudn't help laughing all the time as Johnny kept wobbiling everywhere!!! the killing seens weren't so bloody which was gud for my friend who of coarse enjoyed it just as much as me i cuz watch it again and again without a bathroom break....10 definitely!!!
  52. JoanR.
    Feb 9, 2004
    Pirates was the most enjoyable movie of the year by my standard. It was funny, it was serious, the characters were original and Johnny Depp's Capt Jack was the hit of the year! Supported by a great cast, I couldn't give this movie any less than a 10. I kept going back time and time again!
  53. TaglienteT.
    Jun 5, 2004
    Perfect raise spirit movie best I have ever seen in a Pirate movie if you call it just a Pirate movie it is really a exploring, action packed, mysterious, jaw droping, need I say more movie!!! Might I add this movie has inspiered me to become a prouducer and can't wait to make my own Movie!! Thank you.
  54. DevonM.
    May 7, 2005
    As a 9 year old, I think this was one of the best movies I've ever seen, except it's kind of dumb when they turn into skeletons.
  55. JonnyBoy
    Jul 10, 2006
    My favorite movie ever made.
  56. GerrickC.
    Jul 8, 2006
    Pirates of the Caribbean is a movie with comedy, plenty of pirate adventure, and even some romance. The stroyline is easy enough to follow and the movie delivers some really spectacular pirate action. If you like pirates, Johnny Depp, or some swashbuckling action you will find Pirates of the Caribbean a wonderful movie.
  57. HeidiW.
    Jul 9, 2006
    I thought that this move was so GREAT!! i think that it was better than the first, except for elizibeth killing Johnny Depp. I thought that it was so funny!
  58. Younglling
    Jan 2, 2007
    This is no doubt the best movie ever!! Johnny Depp is charming, funny and sexy!! You can't get a better actor to play such a cool, smart and funny man such is Jack Sparrow!! If I could, I would rate this movie way past 10, so ending with tht...this is the best movie ever made!!
  59. JuliettH.
    Apr 5, 2008
    yeah, allright, i think its a really really great movie! love depps performance, the story, the music, the caribbean in background:-) and of course the other actors too. this is brilliant and fun while watching, perfect entertainment! i love, love it and it's not only me
  60. Ashley
    Nov 20, 2003
    I loved this movie especially Orlando Bloom. Stay Back he's mine chickies. lol Best movie ever. See ya.
  61. Melissa
    Dec 8, 2003
    An awesome movie. Arr.
  66. GregT.
    Dec 9, 2003
    This movie was a hoot. Lots of action and most suited for a 14 year old Walt Disney crowd, but fun nonetheless. The Deppster had so much eye makeup on and was acting so campy that I wanted to bang him myself. A totally funny part of the movie occured at the end where Mr. Depp jumped off a cliff into the ocean, grabed a rope from his passing pirate ship, was hurtled on deck at 90 mph and This movie was a hoot. Lots of action and most suited for a 14 year old Walt Disney crowd, but fun nonetheless. The Deppster had so much eye makeup on and was acting so campy that I wanted to bang him myself. A totally funny part of the movie occured at the end where Mr. Depp jumped off a cliff into the ocean, grabed a rope from his passing pirate ship, was hurtled on deck at 90 mph and arrived totally dry! Not a drop of water on him. Dry hair, dry face and dry clothes. It was too funny and must have been part of the campiness of this film. Worth seeing. Expand
  67. KlausN.
    Oct 6, 2003
    Great Movie! Depp is simply astounding, the way he moves, the way he looks. He was a born Pirate!
  68. Hades
    Jul 10, 2003
    I thought it was quite an enjoyable experience, it did feel a bit long in a couple parts but overall it told a great story and had engaging characters. I was expecting the humor and presentation of the battles to be...toned down to disney shlock but both aspects were great. Overall i recommend the film
  69. DeadThings
    Jul 10, 2003
    This movie was so spectacular. By far the best movie since X2 this summer. Finally a good, fun, humorous, well-acted action piece.
  70. JohnY.
    Jul 11, 2003
    I really wanted to like this movie. Depp gives an original performance, and the movie contains a visually stunning atmosphere. Yet, the film's not light enough on it's feet; I expected more clever and witty dialogue. If the lines coming out of Depp's mouth were better, then we'd have a historic character in the making. Instead, what we have is an actor's actor I really wanted to like this movie. Depp gives an original performance, and the movie contains a visually stunning atmosphere. Yet, the film's not light enough on it's feet; I expected more clever and witty dialogue. If the lines coming out of Depp's mouth were better, then we'd have a historic character in the making. Instead, what we have is an actor's actor bringing some much needed enjoyment to a film barely staying above water. Expand
  71. ScottM.
    Jul 10, 2003
    Ok this isnt going to break any cinematic records or be up for an academy award. But it is exciting and loaded with special effects and a original story line.
  72. Joe
    Jul 12, 2003
    The beginning of "Pirates" was fun, the middle was confusing, and the end was pretty unwatchable. But if you need to watch a movie, it's worth a matinee for the beginning AND Johnny Depp, who gives one of the strangest, funniest and most memorable performances I've seen in a while. He looks more like a marcher in a gay pride parade than a pirate. It's probably more fun for The beginning of "Pirates" was fun, the middle was confusing, and the end was pretty unwatchable. But if you need to watch a movie, it's worth a matinee for the beginning AND Johnny Depp, who gives one of the strangest, funniest and most memorable performances I've seen in a while. He looks more like a marcher in a gay pride parade than a pirate. It's probably more fun for Depp to act that way, and it's more fun for us to watch. Expand
  73. ChrisG.
    Jul 12, 2003
    Aside from some obligatory love scenes, POTC is one of the best movies I've seen in a long time. A fan of the attraction at Disneyland, I really appreciated the effort to tie in a large amont of the song and origial scenes(Dog with key, drunk on barrel, etc.). But not only that, they really built on it and made Captain Jack Sparrow one of the most unforgettable and eccentric pirates Aside from some obligatory love scenes, POTC is one of the best movies I've seen in a long time. A fan of the attraction at Disneyland, I really appreciated the effort to tie in a large amont of the song and origial scenes(Dog with key, drunk on barrel, etc.). But not only that, they really built on it and made Captain Jack Sparrow one of the most unforgettable and eccentric pirates of this modern day. Nothing that would displease a parent, aside from a few bloody stabs into some men, but that's to be expected when every person in this movie wields a sword or a gun. A bit long, yes, at 2 and a half hours, but well worth it for all the fight scenes and stunts. It's the first movie in a long while I might consider seeing a second time. (Or at least reserve the DVD now) Expand
  74. SteveY.
    Jul 13, 2003
    You can tell that they must have had so much fun making this film because it was so much fun to watch.
  75. MarileeB.
    Jul 16, 2003
    Depp is deliciously over the top, the action is rousing... this is a great Disney ride. A large size popcorn flick done with panache.
  76. CorsairthePirate
    Jul 10, 2003
    Best movie of the summer by far! Johnny Depp is fantastic, the pirates are wonderful and the action sequences are full of swash and buckling! The best part is the lack of a numeral after the title. This is fresh and new and not a retread of some earlier (probably better) work that seems to have invaded our movie theaters this year.
  77. EricN.
    Jul 10, 2003
    It's Jerry Bruckheimer, what do you expect? Wonderful set design, terrible editing. Being too long and too predictable is a deadly combo. Everyone else in the theater seemed to enjoy the humor--I found it sophomoric. Jonny Depp made it bearable.
  78. DevinS.
    Jul 20, 2003
    Outstanding mix of action, story, and unique characters. Depp's performance was one of the most entertaining I've ever seen.
  79. Dudetron
    Jul 20, 2003
    When I first saw the trailer it looked really good, but then i saw that is was made by Disney and I had my doubts because, well Its Disney. But really it was an exciting and fun movie. You really don't see a lot of Pirate movies all that often, but this one really hit the spot. It was great. The only thing that Disney really did was provide the title and slap their name on the film. When I first saw the trailer it looked really good, but then i saw that is was made by Disney and I had my doubts because, well Its Disney. But really it was an exciting and fun movie. You really don't see a lot of Pirate movies all that often, but this one really hit the spot. It was great. The only thing that Disney really did was provide the title and slap their name on the film. Really good movie. Expand
  80. Fantasy
    Jul 20, 2003
    Wonderful movie from top to bottom. Johnny Depp is excellent as Captain Jack. It takes nothing away from the movie but notice the jail scene where the prisoners are trying to coax the dog to bring them the keys. It is exactly as we see on the Pirate ride at Disneyworld. Go see and have fun.
  81. KennethB.
    Jul 8, 2003
    This was an awesome movie. It was exhiltering from beginning to end. Also, the special effects were incrediable. This is one movie that shouldn't be missed.
  82. MetalInc.
    Jul 9, 2003
    Excellent....sure it isn't cinematic theatre but is one hell of a good time. Shiver me timbers! It has action, story, special effects, and some excellent acting by "Captain Jack Sparrow" played by Johnny Depp. Watch it....live it, love it for what it is....a fantastic voyage of adventure on the high seas.
  83. Lassister
    Aug 11, 2003
    I can't believe Earl and Dave. Hey guys, take a deep breath and loosen up? This was fantasy - not reality. It was extremely well done. It was meant to provide some fun and delivered in every way.
  84. KelR.
    Aug 12, 2003
    Finally, a movie that's worth seein this summer. Usually I don't like movies that try to incorperate comedy and action/adventure, but Pirates of the Caribbean did a wonderful job. And Kudo's for Jonny Depp for making the movie!
  85. MegB.
    Aug 20, 2003
    Best movie I've seen in a long time.
  86. SamV.
    Aug 26, 2003
    This is a great movie.
  87. BubbaFresh
    Aug 30, 2003
    It's August 30th and the theatre was filled completely. Why?? Because this movie was amazing.
  88. Dudley
    Aug 6, 2003
    Absolutely sensational from begining to end. Johnny Depp is tremendous as are the supporting cast. Just a fun movie to enjoy.
  89. PeterW.
    Aug 9, 2003
    Depp & Rush carry this movie with abosolute campiness to their characters. The result eventually rubs off on the rest of the cast for a decent movie.
  90. BradleyW.
    Sep 19, 2003
    This movie keeps you on your feet! You'll never get bored, thanks to all of the wonderful actors. Just to name a few, Johnny Depp, Geofferey Rush, Orlando Bloom, Kiera Knightley, and many ,many more!
  91. K.P.
    Jan 23, 2004
    This is the best movie I have seen in years! I was hesitant to go but once it started I could not believe how entertained I was! There couldn't be better actors or directors out there for this film. I only wish that this is what you could expect every time you paid to see a movie at the theater. (For this one I went 3 times to enjoy the theater expierince!)
  92. KD
    Jan 3, 2004
    This is the best movie of the year (besides lord of the rings)
  93. RobR.
    Feb 3, 2004
    For some strange reason,I avoided this movie thinking it was a musical. Never a big Johnny Depp fan, I was surprised to see him step out of character, and do so well. Well acted, superb costume and effects, makeup and sets worthy of Oscars, I should have seen it at the theatre instead of waiting for rental...now I gotta go buy it.
  94. NatalieJ.
    Feb 4, 2004
    Hilarious. Johnny Depp is splendid, and Keira Knightly and Orlando Bloom, while slightly overshadowed by Depp's hilarious charecter, prove their worth as actors.
  95. AshleyC.
    Mar 17, 2004
    This movie rocks the house! I can't get enough of Depp and Orlando!
  96. AshleyC.
    Mar 17, 2004
    This movie rocks the house! I can't get enough of Depp and Orlando!
  97. YasminE.
    Mar 9, 2004
    it's one of the best pictures I've ever watched. Also Orlando is wonderful...
  98. AliceM.
    Jun 7, 2004
    Although a little predictable in places, Depp's stunning performance makes this well worth seeing. His twisted and confident portrayal of Jack Sparrow is a joy to watch!
  99. PaulaM.
    Jan 30, 2005
    This is the best movie I have ever seen in my whole life!!!!
  100. ginny
    Mar 22, 2005
    I actually give it probably between a 6 and 8, but I'll let that slide. (And I do know that 7 is between 6 and 8, but there are also an infinite amount of numbers between those two.) I did thoroughly enjoy the movie, but it is definetly not the best film i've ever seen, hence the 7. I felt that Johnny Depp's performance was well done, not his best, but he does deserve an I actually give it probably between a 6 and 8, but I'll let that slide. (And I do know that 7 is between 6 and 8, but there are also an infinite amount of numbers between those two.) I did thoroughly enjoy the movie, but it is definetly not the best film i've ever seen, hence the 7. I felt that Johnny Depp's performance was well done, not his best, but he does deserve an Oscar nomination for something. The rest of the performances weren't as good and i found Orlando Bloom's to be the worst (surprising.) But all in all, i would reccommend this film. Expand

1. A film that dares to be smart, reasonably complicated and scary while swashing its buckles.
  2. Reviewed by: Ed Park
    Convoluted but diverting.
    Trimming half an hour from this bloated, 143-minute blockbuster would have highlighted the film's treasures, not the least of which is Johnny Depp's endearingly eccentric performance as Captain Jack Sparrow.