8.6

1. Oct 17, 2010
    I think it is a very great movie. The atmosphere with the characters, especially Sparrow, the music and the settings are great. I can watch this movie over and over again and I can recommend this movie to anyone who likes this adventure-type of action movies.
  2. May 26, 2011
    They say the first is always the best and it certainly applies here. Pirates of the Carribean: The Curse of the Black Pearl is the start to arguably one of the best film franchises to date. If you like comedy, action, drama, romance- actually, if you like watching movies in general, you have got to see this one. I don't usually give films a solid ten (I think this is the first) but I can find no flaws here. It has a great plot, great performance by the cast, great visual effects and very memorable music. Just watch it already. Expand
  3. Aug 6, 2012
    The first and only the best movie in the series. While enjoying some of the great performances including the plot, characters and action scenes, Johnny Depp was at his most humorous state.
  4. Mar 15, 2011
    Who knew turning a theme park attraction into a movie would create an awesome movie and an incredible trilogy! Thank you Disney! And thank you Johnny Depp for making Captain Jack Sparrow such an iconic character!
  5. Nov 9, 2012
    The best film that could ever be made about pirates. Despite some cliches, the film has striking and brilliant action sequences, witty dialogue, and many other great characteristics that make it all its own.
  6. Aug 22, 2010
    An instantly classic movie that i've seen way too many times because it's so good. The music is especially awesome as well as the hilarious quirkiness of Captain Jack Sparrow. Never gets old.
  7. Jan 6, 2011
    There is a girl in my class that would have the same opinion of this movie as I do, Great story, interesting plot and hilarious moments... This is truly a great that will go down in history... But the rest might not....... Looking forward to 4th movie coming to cinema soon
  8. Mar 21, 2011
    Arg this is a pirates life for me! With unforgettable characters, a clever script, incredible action sequences, and an excellent mood, Pirates of the Caribbean is the perfect blockbuster and an incredible ride! :D
  9. Jan 22, 2011
    coool cool cool cooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool
  10. CRL
    Aug 27, 2011
    Nothing is better than the original, as is the truth with the film that introduced Captain Jack Sparrow to the world that has yet to let go. The first Pirates movie is a boatload of wacky, PG-13 fun, filled with sword-fights, skeletons, general hilarity, and the kind of cheesy love story that adds to the movie instead of subtracting from it.
  11. Dec 11, 2011
    "The Curse of the Black Pearl" is a 143 minutes ride of a thrilling adventure featuring rich CGI, action-packed tone and a powerful performance from Depp. This is a perfect summer blockbuster.
  12. Sep 8, 2011
    A good movie all around. Good acting, good writing, great score, some really memorable quotes. Depp as Jack Sparrow should go down in film history as one of the greatest characters ever. There is something off about the final scene that I can't quite figure out, but that's my only real complaint.
  13. Jun 28, 2013
    A blockbuster in every way, The Curse of the Black Pearl is a perfect start to a massively grossing franchise that is still going, flawed but definitely enjoyable, much more than a film based on a theme park ride should have been.
    Johnny Depp creates a character that will undoubtedly be one of if not the most iconic of all his roles, Captain Jack Sparrow, don't forget the 'Captain' part,
    he won't like that. A man famous for us often personal and more bizarre roles has created one of the most memorable and comic characters we have seen, and to top it all off, he's a pirate.
    Set in the midst of the age of the cutlass-wielding treasure hunters, Jack lands in Port Royal where inadvertently saves the Governors daughter, Elizabeth Swan (Kiera Knightley). He somewhat befriends blacksmith Will Turner (Orlando Bloom) who sets out with him to capture the infamous Black Pearl, a ship run by the dead who have been cursed after stealing the wrong sort of treasure.
    The set-pieces are explosive and the dialogue is a homage to the age the film is set in. There is quite a reliance on humour, which pays off in many aspects throughout the film but at other points can fall short of its target, the two high points of this being Jack Sparrow himself played uniquely by Depp, bringing his very own take and charisma to the character, and Geoffrey Rush who plays the Captain of the Black Pearl, Barbosa, whose confident and grumbled Irish accent and command of the screen, along the unfortunately limited screen time himself and Depp share together, make up very dark and witty humour throughout.
    The heart of the film is lead by Knightley and Bloom who have a blossoming romance on the cards, their scenes can be a little dramatic for the theme of the film, and more time should have been spent getting to know these pirates more, but take the good with the bad I suppose.
    Of course the true brand of the film is that of Jack Sparrow, his mumbling and comedic quips with those surrounding him are electrifying through the talent of Depp, and while the supporting cast are on sound form, he truly steals the show, along with quite the satisfying finale that of course opened all sorts of doors. The film is quite remarkable in the sense of its emergence from nothing, but I suppose if Ron Howard takes inspiration from paintings, a theme park ride is bound to be a creative playground.
  14. Dec 7, 2011
    Pirates of the Caribbean, The Curse of the Black Pearl, directed by Gregor Verbiniski, is one of the best action/ adventure films of 2003 and was based on a Disney World ride. Verbiniski directed a few other movies before hitting it big with this one. It grossed over 650 million worldwide, and gave Verbiniski the type of success most directors envy. Pirates of the Caribbean will draw you in and keep you hooked, with a burning ship, a mysterious pirate flag, and the grand entrance of Jack Sparrow. With his amazing escape via ship parts and zip lines, a sword fight on roof beams... and that's just the beginning. Then the intrigue truly begins. Have you ever watched a movie, where reality and fantasy come together adding a mythological twist to it? Sit back while the director transports you to a far away place to create this fantastic movie, thatâ Expand
  15. May 20, 2014
    This was the fist movie I went to see in the cinema more than once, as far as I can recall.

The plot is eventful and full of twists. I like detailed movies, and here the camera angles, focus, colors, and little tips given with these underline the intent that is not stated in words, but left for the audience to figure out. Sometimes, we see things coming for a long time, but "The Curse
    of the Black Pearl" manages to surprise nonetheless, time and time again. Witty and sometimes fast-paced, this film is both serious and funny at the same time without ruining one of the two.

Most of the fighting scenes were very entertaining. The characteristics of each person are respectfully regarded, and instead of beating enemies into pulp, there are clever moves that make you sit on the edge of your seat in excitement - while grinning widely, especially if you've seen the film before.

The characters and actors are each their own individuals. The casting is perfect; Johnny Depp as the by-now iconic Captain Jack Sparrow, Orlando Bloom as Will Turner, the hero who has plenty of room to grow and become the man he's meant to be, and Elisabeth Swann (Keira Knightely), who can barely contain herself from becoming who she would really want to be instead of being what she's supposed to be. It's interesting how she's so much more interested in being a pirate than Will is, who has it in his blood (although in the beginning he would have none of that).

Also, it must be said that Geoffrey Rush as Captain Barbossa is born to be a pirate. Convincing and sophisticated while being a total brute... Not many can pull it off.

Many supporting characters just add into the world of the movie, and are very important to it and its spirit. The comic elements draw a lot from these characters, and their chemistry between each other is undeniably funny and thought-provoking.

Little hints to past events are thrown this way and that. Some remain unresolved to the end, and are there to deepen the world of the movie, and to be explored in the following sequels.

All in all, "Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl", is pretty much a perfect movie. The music, the plot, the characters, and the successful balance between action, mystery and comedy create a movie that sets a standard for the pirate movies to come.
  16. May 11, 2012
    Pirates of the Caribbean: the curse of the black pearl is a hilarious action packed comedy/(kind of) horror. It's brilliant, with great action, humor, horror, good acting, very good special effects for the time that it was made (they'd still be OK if they were in a film made now), and an interesting plot. I'm tempted to give it a ten, you really should watch it if you haven't seen it already!
  17. Mar 25, 2012
    A smart and dark film at the same time. Yes it is a Disney film but is very scary. i enjoyed every minute of it. Jonny Depp's peformance is one for the ages.
  18. Dec 9, 2013
    Wonderfully entertaining. The entire concept was portrayed just as you think it would be. Jack Sparrow is one of if not the most amusing character to grace the screen. Excellent!
  19. Jul 4, 2013
    The first film in the series is unquestionably the best. Jack Sparrow is an excellent character, and really carries the movie. It reminds me of the old Marx Brothers films: if not for Groucho, Chico, and Harpo, they would be bland and nobody would care, but thanks to Jack Sparrow who seems to incorporate the best elements of all three the movie ends up fantastically entertaining. Will Turner may be the protagonist by any helpful analysis of story structure, but Jack is the reason you're watching, and he's well worth it.

The Curse of the Black Pearl has a solid, familiar-yet-surprising story at its heart, that never loses sight of where it's going next. This is part of what makes it good: you can guess roughly where it's going next, and have your expectations confirmed, but there's always some surprise complication waiting for you when you get there, so you're never bored. One of the best Disney movies of the 2000s, and well worth seeing by anyone.
  20. Jul 7, 2013
    Great action movie. One of the only good series Hollywood has produced in the last 10 years.

I don't know how someone could not like this. Even if its just Triple-A action fluff, its very good at it. This is one of the only "ultimate theatre experiences" along with film franchises like Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Batman (Begins Dark Knight Rises), and Terminator 1 & 2. I'm not sure
    how, with as few good modern movies as there are, anyone could pick and choose which modern epics they enjoy. Expand
  21. Mar 8, 2013
    The best pirate movie ever made. An instant classic and a masterpiece great for both children and adults!
  22. Aug 25, 2012
    Just watched the film as it was on TV a few hours ago, already seen it beforehand, but seeing it again let me write this review properly, it was action-packed, hilarious and kept you sitting there watching it without wanting to get up out of your seat. Not to mention the amazing music by Hanz Zimmer.
  23. Sep 12, 2012
    The first real Pirates movie in history! Easily fun, exciting, and intriguing! It brings out the action in you and swordplay. Johnny Depp is truly a great actor, and Will and elizibeth make great couples.
  24. Feb 9, 2013
    One of the most entertaining movies I've ever seen. Johnny Depp delivers his most memorable performance. It combined comedy, horror, adventure and action flawlessly. This is the only movie where I liked Keira Knightley. Orlando Bloom seemed somewhat off, though. His acting is the only thing that improved over the next two movies. Sadly, the series on a whole turned out to be a one hit wonder.
  25. Sep 29, 2013
    I absolutely loved this movie. Anything and everything I ever wanted in a pirate movie, all in one place.

Excellent visuals, fantastic performances and gripping story.

Overall:
    I can not fault this movie for anything. I have watched it countless times and will continue to watch it many times more.
  26. Jul 11, 2013
    I'm writing this review after watching The Lone Ranger. I think the amount of time and dip in quality in between the first Pirates movie and The Lone Ranger really solidifies my opinion on the general decay of Hollywood. I have a limited amount of hope for Pirates 5.
  27. Mar 20, 2013
    I like very much how john depp plays the play of the very claver and sometimes stupid pirat who likes very much girls, action and the most of all he loves alchohol an at all he is very funny and he makes movie very funny and it i great comedy. I like very much and of this action,comedy and most at all adveanture movie becose i like very muc how the pirates in the end determined thet this girl elizabeth (keira knightley) is not a girl of a pirat and then comes a jack sparrow and will turner (orlando bloom) and jack sparrow fight with barbossa and at same time when jack sparrow shot barbossa in the hart will turner whes father was a pirat give bood to the coins and barbossa dies. Expand
  28. Aug 30, 2013
    Simply one of the best movies ever made!! Very suspenseful!!! Very very very very good!!! A huge well done to Gore Verbinski, his crew and all the actors of that picture.
  29. Jul 14, 2013
    This film is a film that caught everyone off guard- no one expected a Pirate film to be this epic and amazing! The film has a surprisingly well written and witty script, a fantastic and perfect performance by Johnny Depp, awesome action sequences, classic and awesome music (Klaus Badelt and Hans Zimmer do spectacular) and the visuals are epic. This film has classic written all over it and is one of the best adventure films ever made, Disney rarely disappoints lads and lasses. Expand
  30. Aug 15, 2013
    This was an amazing movie. It still remains to be one of the best movies that I have ever seen, even though it has been 10 years since I first saw it. Highly recommended.
  31. Oct 26, 2013
    The film brings and opens an eclectic version of the well known swashbuckler genre; a light-hearted, and amusing version with a hilarious Depp as the sardonic and metaphorical Jack Sparrow, and everyone else seems to be weaved into the plot. Bloom and Knightley make a poignant melodramatic piece to the film. It's authentic as it is ludicrous.
  32. Sep 19, 2013
    The movie itself is very good, but it is the score that brings it to life and steps it up to the next level. Everyone knows the Pirates of the Caribbean theme, and Hans Zimmer is a master at movie scores. With exciting action to witness and a great score to hum along to, you can't go wrong with this movie.
  33. Nov 29, 2013
    I loved it. It had dark moments, especially for a Disney movie. Plus it had extremely great humor from Johnny Depp, which added to the excitingly fun movie.
  34. Jun 29, 2014
    Pirates 1 is one of the best action epics. Depp, Rush, Bloom and Knightley are wonderful in the movie. The special effects are first rate due to the high budget of 140 million dollars. The sequels were lousy but the studio wanted to cash in on the success of this movie. Sequels are often made but is difficult for them to be as good or improved. Pirates has something for every film fan, no matter what actors or genres you like. Depp created one of his best characters in Jack Sparrow, Depp was made for the role. Expand

1. A film that dares to be smart, reasonably complicated and scary while swashing its buckles.
  2. Reviewed by: Ed Park
    Convoluted but diverting.
    Trimming half an hour from this bloated, 143-minute blockbuster would have highlighted the film's treasures, not the least of which is Johnny Depp's endearingly eccentric performance as Captain Jack Sparrow.