8.6

1. May 26, 2011
    They say the first is always the best and it certainly applies here. Pirates of the Carribean: The Curse of the Black Pearl is the start to arguably one of the best film franchises to date. If you like comedy, action, drama, romance- actually, if you like watching movies in general, you have got to see this one. I don't usually give films a solid ten (I think this is the first) but I canThey say the first is always the best and it certainly applies here. Pirates of the Carribean: The Curse of the Black Pearl is the start to arguably one of the best film franchises to date. If you like comedy, action, drama, romance- actually, if you like watching movies in general, you have got to see this one. I don't usually give films a solid ten (I think this is the first) but I can find no flaws here. It has a great plot, great performance by the cast, great visual effects and very memorable music. Just watch it already. Expand
  2. BenB
    May 28, 2007
    64? Why do the critics dislike this movie so much? Every single person I know who has seen this movie loves it! I mean LOVES it! All the girls say it's their favorite movie! It has everything you good want: good acting, humor, spectacular action scenes, romance, and one of the best soundtracks ever created. Not to mention Geoffrey Rush and Johnny Depp acting together! This movie is 64? Why do the critics dislike this movie so much? Every single person I know who has seen this movie loves it! I mean LOVES it! All the girls say it's their favorite movie! It has everything you good want: good acting, humor, spectacular action scenes, romance, and one of the best soundtracks ever created. Not to mention Geoffrey Rush and Johnny Depp acting together! This movie is awesome. If it doesn't make you want to grab a sword and go off to sail the seas, then you're probably dead. Expand
  3. Aug 6, 2012
    The first and only the best movie in the series. While enjoying some of the great performances including the plot, characters and action scenes, Johnny Depp was at his most humorous state.
  4. Jun 11, 2011
    This pirate adventure tells the story about Jack Sparrow, who meets a young woman named Elizabeth Swann after saving her life. One night, with the gold medallion she carries around her neck, she gets captured by the pirates aboard the Black Pearl by the evil Barbossa who is using her to get the cave to find the treasure. However, the whole pirate crew is immortal due to the medallion andThis pirate adventure tells the story about Jack Sparrow, who meets a young woman named Elizabeth Swann after saving her life. One night, with the gold medallion she carries around her neck, she gets captured by the pirates aboard the Black Pearl by the evil Barbossa who is using her to get the cave to find the treasure. However, the whole pirate crew is immortal due to the medallion and can turn into skeletons. With the help of a young man named Will Turner, Jack and his other crew members plan to save Elizabeth and put an end to Barbossa's reign once and for all.

Wow. I was thrilled when I caught the screening of this in July of 2003 that I have one word to say about it and the word is: FANTASTIC!!! Johnny Depp was very hilarious as Jack Sparrow and he was a very good actor. Orlando Bloom (for some reason, was in the third LOTR movie, which came out at the exact same year this movie did) did very well as Will Turner, Kiera Knightley (from King Arthur) was so cool as Elizabeth Swann and she was so freaking hot! Geoffrey Rush was very frightening, yet entertaining as Captain Barbossa and the rest of the actors did very well at their performances.

The CGI was pretty cool and even the action scenes were so cool. The storyline was well-paced and the cinematography was great.

There is nothing negative to say about this film, so I am in good hands.

Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl is an excellent Disney pirate adventure based on the popular ride from DisneyWorld and one of the best movies ever made from the early 2000s.

5. Jul 29, 2013
    Excelente trabajo mostrando talento, originalidad y una forma de demostrar que disney puede dar accion buena y no de princesas por un man si no puede sacar y sacarle el jugo a la accion
  6. Oct 17, 2010
    I think it is a very great movie. The atmosphere with the characters, especially Sparrow, the music and the settings are great. I can watch this movie over and over again and I can recommend this movie to anyone who likes this adventure-type of action movies.
  7. Dec 30, 2011
    Johnny Depp brings life to this breathtaking, exhausting, amazing and action packed film with a completely funny, unpredictable performance and the supporting cast does well too. I give this film 83%.
  8. LeeS
    Jul 10, 2003
    Finally. Tis... but all I need to say.
  9. Mar 15, 2011
    Who knew turning a theme park attraction into a movie would create an awesome movie and an incredible trilogy! Thank you Disney! And thank you Johnny Depp for making Captain Jack Sparrow such an iconic character!
  10. Nov 9, 2012
    The best film that could ever be made about pirates. Despite some cliches, the film has striking and brilliant action sequences, witty dialogue, and many other great characteristics that make it all its own.
  11. HaileyC.
    Nov 29, 2003
    The sound and special effects were cool. The humorous Johnny Depp lines, and the sexy Orlando Bloom. Keria Knightley did turn out to be a big star. i also wanna say hi 2 jd, ob, gr, and kk. Hailey Catherine Carr.
  12. Mar 25, 2012
    A smart and dark film at the same time. Yes it is a Disney film but is very scary. i enjoyed every minute of it. Jonny Depp's peformance is one for the ages.
  13. May 5, 2014
    A fun tale based off a ride. Johnny Depp owns this role and is debatebly his most known roleof all time. He is so funny and brings such a joy to the film.
  14. MaxM.
    Jul 10, 2003
    Please, these people are so on crack... this is the best Bruckheimer production ever! Fun and interesting! With Depp as a bonus and a great bonus at that! Jack Sparrow deserves a franchise more than any other character in the last 5 years!!
  15. KCReynolds
    Aug 4, 2003
    Johnny Depp and Geoffrey Rush were awesome - makes me want to be a pirate too!
  16. KateB.
    Aug 26, 2006
    What is with the critics who don't like this film? It's amazing! With Johnny Depp playing the main character it is great and the best movie in ages. The balance of action and everything else works, and I like it.
  17. AlexisJ.
    Oct 11, 2003
    This film is simply... perfect. depp is unbeliably perfect as Jack Sparrow. He has perfected his character!
  18. TaniaS.
    Oct 10, 2003
    It's a super movie!!! Depp, Bloom, Rush and Knightley are so good and a little secret for the girls: Depp is so cute and has so much humor! I was laughing all long!! Congratulations, Verbinski!!
  19. Melissa
    Dec 1, 2003
    Best movie I've seen all year. I enjoyed every one hundred and forty-three minutes of it. JD is cute, even when he looks like a pirate that just washed up on shore.
  20. MattD.
    Jul 11, 2003
    A fantastic movie. Loved Depp, loved the girl, Bloom's not my favorite, but that's personal pref. The biggest shock was the trailer for Haunted Mansion actualy looked pretty good.
  21. M.Austin
    Jul 19, 2003
    What a great surprise. When the idea for this movie first surfaced, my timbers shivered: pirate movie, based on a ride, lots of CGI - the perfect formula for bloated excess. But there was always the glimmer of hope that a Johnny Depp movie couldn't be without some merit. Thankfully, someone decided early on that they would counter the excesses of effects with an What a great surprise. When the idea for this movie first surfaced, my timbers shivered: pirate movie, based on a ride, lots of CGI - the perfect formula for bloated excess. But there was always the glimmer of hope that a Johnny Depp movie couldn't be without some merit. Thankfully, someone decided early on that they would counter the excesses of effects with an over-the-top-but-completely-in-character turn by one of the best actors of our day. When he is on the screen, it is hard to watch anything else for fear that you might miss something interesting that he has done, is doing, or is about to do - as defining a performance as he has given. Then they surrounded him with other actors capable of holding their own ground (especially Rush) or at least helping the plot along. And, though the script plods a little here and there, someone also decided paying attention to the dialogue and story would be important to keep adults in the seats. The result of all of this "planning" is a movie that is undeniably fun to watch. I saw the film 10 days after it opened, in a packed theater, and the crowd burst into applause at the end of movie and then again when Depp's name appeared on the closing credits. Both were well deserved. Expand
  22. AMovieCritic
    Very entertaining.
  23. AngelaM.
    Jul 22, 2003
    This movie was really reall REALLY AWESOME!!!! Johnny Depp, and Orlando Bloom are sooooooo hot in it! I just loved it!
  24. Lassiter
    Aug 2, 2003
    Absolutely delightful. The best ride of the summer. Johnny Depp plays Captain Jack Sparrow with absolute swashbuckling pizzazzzzzz. Kudo's to all for making a great summer flick. Go see and enjoy.
  25. MaryL.
    Aug 3, 2003
    This the first movie I have gone to see 3 times in the first 10 days of release since Star Wars and it got better each time. Depp is phenomenal - pulling off this intoxicated-tripping-freedom loving-swishing-rastamon-pirate role. Rush, Bloom and Knightely were perfectly cast and Verbinski's over the top authenticity swept me away, while the humor and running gags added a dimension This the first movie I have gone to see 3 times in the first 10 days of release since Star Wars and it got better each time. Depp is phenomenal - pulling off this intoxicated-tripping-freedom loving-swishing-rastamon-pirate role. Rush, Bloom and Knightely were perfectly cast and Verbinski's over the top authenticity swept me away, while the humor and running gags added a dimension that made me feel like an intelligent viewer, as apposed to some exploitive action movies lately. Shiver me timbers, Cap'n - Yohoyoho. Expand
  26. KS
    Aug 4, 2003
    This is one of the best movies ive seen in a while. The only thing wrong with the whole movie is that Orlando's acting is a little...... bad. yea bad. But other than hat the cast is great, the consept is great, and its just a great movie. PLUS johnny is super hott and that just makes it all better for the chics that want to see it...
  27. Dr.Ed
    Aug 5, 2003
    What a wonderful surprise. Just tremendous fun. Sort of like Christmas in July. The best summer movie you will see. Enjoy.
  28. LarryT.
    Aug 8, 2003
    The story and plotting are not wonderful; but, the performances, particularly Depp's, make this movie the second best of the summer (after Seabiscuit). It is big, brassy and colorful - kudos to the design and cinematography departments. All the leads (and several of the supporting cast) are wonderful making this a film one can see more than once without any dimunition in enjoyment.
  29. YoHo
    Sep 6, 2003
    Loved this movie...its characters, music, plot, action, symbolism, humor, scenery, light-heartedness...a real classic!
  30. AminaW.
    Jan 3, 2004
    It' s the best movie ever and Johnny Depp is the best (read:hottest)
  31. VivianaG.
    Jan 9, 2004
    I luved this movie,Johnny Depp and Orland bloom hav great scenes together and i coudn't help laughing all the time as Johnny kept wobbiling everywhere!!! the killing seens weren't so bloody which was gud for my friend who of coarse enjoyed it just as much as me i cuz watch it again and again without a bathroom break....10 definitely!!!
  32. JoanR.
    Feb 9, 2004
    Pirates was the most enjoyable movie of the year by my standard. It was funny, it was serious, the characters were original and Johnny Depp's Capt Jack was the hit of the year! Supported by a great cast, I couldn't give this movie any less than a 10. I kept going back time and time again!
  33. TaglienteT.
    Jun 5, 2004
    Perfect raise spirit movie best I have ever seen in a Pirate movie if you call it just a Pirate movie it is really a exploring, action packed, mysterious, jaw droping, need I say more movie!!! Might I add this movie has inspiered me to become a prouducer and can't wait to make my own Movie!! Thank you.
  34. DevonM.
    May 7, 2005
    As a 9 year old, I think this was one of the best movies I've ever seen, except it's kind of dumb when they turn into skeletons.
  35. JonnyBoy
    Jul 10, 2006
    My favorite movie ever made.
  36. GerrickC.
    Jul 8, 2006
    Pirates of the Caribbean is a movie with comedy, plenty of pirate adventure, and even some romance. The stroyline is easy enough to follow and the movie delivers some really spectacular pirate action. If you like pirates, Johnny Depp, or some swashbuckling action you will find Pirates of the Caribbean a wonderful movie.
  37. HeidiW.
    Jul 9, 2006
    I thought that this move was so GREAT!! i think that it was better than the first, except for elizibeth killing Johnny Depp. I thought that it was so funny!
  38. Younglling
    Jan 2, 2007
    This is no doubt the best movie ever!! Johnny Depp is charming, funny and sexy!! You can't get a better actor to play such a cool, smart and funny man such is Jack Sparrow!! If I could, I would rate this movie way past 10, so ending with tht...this is the best movie ever made!!
  39. JuliettH.
    Apr 5, 2008
    yeah, allright, i think its a really really great movie! love depps performance, the story, the music, the caribbean in background:-) and of course the other actors too. this is brilliant and fun while watching, perfect entertainment! i love, love it and it's not only me
  40. Ashley
    Nov 20, 2003
    I loved this movie especially Orlando Bloom. Stay Back he's mine chickies. lol Best movie ever. See ya.
  41. Melissa
    Dec 8, 2003
    An awesome movie. Arr.
  46. GregT.
    Dec 9, 2003
    This movie was a hoot. Lots of action and most suited for a 14 year old Walt Disney crowd, but fun nonetheless. The Deppster had so much eye makeup on and was acting so campy that I wanted to bang him myself. A totally funny part of the movie occured at the end where Mr. Depp jumped off a cliff into the ocean, grabed a rope from his passing pirate ship, was hurtled on deck at 90 mph and This movie was a hoot. Lots of action and most suited for a 14 year old Walt Disney crowd, but fun nonetheless. The Deppster had so much eye makeup on and was acting so campy that I wanted to bang him myself. A totally funny part of the movie occured at the end where Mr. Depp jumped off a cliff into the ocean, grabed a rope from his passing pirate ship, was hurtled on deck at 90 mph and arrived totally dry! Not a drop of water on him. Dry hair, dry face and dry clothes. It was too funny and must have been part of the campiness of this film. Worth seeing. Expand
  47. KlausN.
    Oct 6, 2003
    Great Movie! Depp is simply astounding, the way he moves, the way he looks. He was a born Pirate!
  48. Hades
    Jul 10, 2003
    I thought it was quite an enjoyable experience, it did feel a bit long in a couple parts but overall it told a great story and had engaging characters. I was expecting the humor and presentation of the battles to be...toned down to disney shlock but both aspects were great. Overall i recommend the film
  49. DeadThings
    Jul 10, 2003
    This movie was so spectacular. By far the best movie since X2 this summer. Finally a good, fun, humorous, well-acted action piece.
  50. ScottM.
    Jul 10, 2003
    Ok this isnt going to break any cinematic records or be up for an academy award. But it is exciting and loaded with special effects and a original story line.
  51. ChrisG.
    Jul 12, 2003
    Aside from some obligatory love scenes, POTC is one of the best movies I've seen in a long time. A fan of the attraction at Disneyland, I really appreciated the effort to tie in a large amont of the song and origial scenes(Dog with key, drunk on barrel, etc.). But not only that, they really built on it and made Captain Jack Sparrow one of the most unforgettable and eccentric pirates Aside from some obligatory love scenes, POTC is one of the best movies I've seen in a long time. A fan of the attraction at Disneyland, I really appreciated the effort to tie in a large amont of the song and origial scenes(Dog with key, drunk on barrel, etc.). But not only that, they really built on it and made Captain Jack Sparrow one of the most unforgettable and eccentric pirates of this modern day. Nothing that would displease a parent, aside from a few bloody stabs into some men, but that's to be expected when every person in this movie wields a sword or a gun. A bit long, yes, at 2 and a half hours, but well worth it for all the fight scenes and stunts. It's the first movie in a long while I might consider seeing a second time. (Or at least reserve the DVD now) Expand
  52. SteveY.
    Jul 13, 2003
    You can tell that they must have had so much fun making this film because it was so much fun to watch.
  53. MarileeB.
    Jul 16, 2003
    Depp is deliciously over the top, the action is rousing... this is a great Disney ride. A large size popcorn flick done with panache.
  54. CorsairthePirate
    Jul 10, 2003
    Best movie of the summer by far! Johnny Depp is fantastic, the pirates are wonderful and the action sequences are full of swash and buckling! The best part is the lack of a numeral after the title. This is fresh and new and not a retread of some earlier (probably better) work that seems to have invaded our movie theaters this year.
  55. DevinS.
    Jul 20, 2003
    Outstanding mix of action, story, and unique characters. Depp's performance was one of the most entertaining I've ever seen.
  56. Dudetron
    Jul 20, 2003
    When I first saw the trailer it looked really good, but then i saw that is was made by Disney and I had my doubts because, well Its Disney. But really it was an exciting and fun movie. You really don't see a lot of Pirate movies all that often, but this one really hit the spot. It was great. The only thing that Disney really did was provide the title and slap their name on the film. When I first saw the trailer it looked really good, but then i saw that is was made by Disney and I had my doubts because, well Its Disney. But really it was an exciting and fun movie. You really don't see a lot of Pirate movies all that often, but this one really hit the spot. It was great. The only thing that Disney really did was provide the title and slap their name on the film. Really good movie. Expand
  57. Fantasy
    Jul 20, 2003
    Wonderful movie from top to bottom. Johnny Depp is excellent as Captain Jack. It takes nothing away from the movie but notice the jail scene where the prisoners are trying to coax the dog to bring them the keys. It is exactly as we see on the Pirate ride at Disneyworld. Go see and have fun.
  58. KennethB.
    Jul 8, 2003
    This was an awesome movie. It was exhiltering from beginning to end. Also, the special effects were incrediable. This is one movie that shouldn't be missed.
  59. MetalInc.
    Jul 9, 2003
    Excellent....sure it isn't cinematic theatre but is one hell of a good time. Shiver me timbers! It has action, story, special effects, and some excellent acting by "Captain Jack Sparrow" played by Johnny Depp. Watch it....live it, love it for what it is....a fantastic voyage of adventure on the high seas.
  60. Lassister
    Aug 11, 2003
    I can't believe Earl and Dave. Hey guys, take a deep breath and loosen up? This was fantasy - not reality. It was extremely well done. It was meant to provide some fun and delivered in every way.
  61. KelR.
    Aug 12, 2003
    Finally, a movie that's worth seein this summer. Usually I don't like movies that try to incorperate comedy and action/adventure, but Pirates of the Caribbean did a wonderful job. And Kudo's for Jonny Depp for making the movie!
  62. MegB.
    Aug 20, 2003
    Best movie I've seen in a long time.
  63. SamV.
    Aug 26, 2003
    This is a great movie.
  64. BubbaFresh
    Aug 30, 2003
    It's August 30th and the theatre was filled completely. Why?? Because this movie was amazing.
  65. Dudley
    Aug 6, 2003
    Absolutely sensational from begining to end. Johnny Depp is tremendous as are the supporting cast. Just a fun movie to enjoy.
  66. PeterW.
    Aug 9, 2003
    Depp & Rush carry this movie with abosolute campiness to their characters. The result eventually rubs off on the rest of the cast for a decent movie.
  67. BradleyW.
    Sep 19, 2003
    This movie keeps you on your feet! You'll never get bored, thanks to all of the wonderful actors. Just to name a few, Johnny Depp, Geofferey Rush, Orlando Bloom, Kiera Knightley, and many ,many more!
  68. K.P.
    Jan 23, 2004
    This is the best movie I have seen in years! I was hesitant to go but once it started I could not believe how entertained I was! There couldn't be better actors or directors out there for this film. I only wish that this is what you could expect every time you paid to see a movie at the theater. (For this one I went 3 times to enjoy the theater expierince!)
  69. KD
    Jan 3, 2004
    This is the best movie of the year (besides lord of the rings)
  70. RobR.
    Feb 3, 2004
    For some strange reason,I avoided this movie thinking it was a musical. Never a big Johnny Depp fan, I was surprised to see him step out of character, and do so well. Well acted, superb costume and effects, makeup and sets worthy of Oscars, I should have seen it at the theatre instead of waiting for rental...now I gotta go buy it.
  71. NatalieJ.
    Feb 4, 2004
    Hilarious. Johnny Depp is splendid, and Keira Knightly and Orlando Bloom, while slightly overshadowed by Depp's hilarious charecter, prove their worth as actors.
  72. AshleyC.
    Mar 17, 2004
    This movie rocks the house! I can't get enough of Depp and Orlando!
  73. AshleyC.
    Mar 17, 2004
    This movie rocks the house! I can't get enough of Depp and Orlando!
  74. YasminE.
    Mar 9, 2004
    it's one of the best pictures I've ever watched. Also Orlando is wonderful...
  75. AliceM.
    Jun 7, 2004
    Although a little predictable in places, Depp's stunning performance makes this well worth seeing. His twisted and confident portrayal of Jack Sparrow is a joy to watch!
  76. PaulaM.
    Jan 30, 2005
    This is the best movie I have ever seen in my whole life!!!!
  77. ginny
    Mar 22, 2005
    I actually give it probably between a 6 and 8, but I'll let that slide. (And I do know that 7 is between 6 and 8, but there are also an infinite amount of numbers between those two.) I did thoroughly enjoy the movie, but it is definetly not the best film i've ever seen, hence the 7. I felt that Johnny Depp's performance was well done, not his best, but he does deserve an I actually give it probably between a 6 and 8, but I'll let that slide. (And I do know that 7 is between 6 and 8, but there are also an infinite amount of numbers between those two.) I did thoroughly enjoy the movie, but it is definetly not the best film i've ever seen, hence the 7. I felt that Johnny Depp's performance was well done, not his best, but he does deserve an Oscar nomination for something. The rest of the performances weren't as good and i found Orlando Bloom's to be the worst (surprising.) But all in all, i would reccommend this film. Expand
  78. AmyA.
    Sep 13, 2005
    This Film is good for certain points. I am now studying it for my media independant study at college, to be honest in comparison to old 1950s pirate movies its very similar. However the genre has developed and Disney in all honesty hasnt done a bad job at turning the theme park (not video game) into a film. I can see why theyve hired Johnny Depp and Orlando Bloom for the young girls only This Film is good for certain points. I am now studying it for my media independant study at college, to be honest in comparison to old 1950s pirate movies its very similar. However the genre has developed and Disney in all honesty hasnt done a bad job at turning the theme park (not video game) into a film. I can see why theyve hired Johnny Depp and Orlando Bloom for the young girls only because its generally men who go to see pirate films because of the swords and guns very phallic symbols if you ask me lol. All in All i think that this movie is great and I would recommend it to most people if you like a good giggle. Expand
  79. AngeloP.
    Jun 21, 2006
    Everything a viewer wants: action, romance, revenge, and a happy ending, albeit, a setup for a sequel!
  80. MarkS.
    Jul 5, 2006
    Yet another example of why to be wary or critics. If you didn't enjoy this movie, you shouldn't be going to the movies, period. Rarely, a movie comes along that absolutely no one has any business not enjoying unless they have an agenda or just love ragging on certain movies. This is one of them. Salon.com's review is particularly repulsively incompetent in its sheer Yet another example of why to be wary or critics. If you didn't enjoy this movie, you shouldn't be going to the movies, period. Rarely, a movie comes along that absolutely no one has any business not enjoying unless they have an agenda or just love ragging on certain movies. This is one of them. Salon.com's review is particularly repulsively incompetent in its sheer 'incorrectness'. Now I know never to read them again. Expand
  81. BenF.
    Jul 6, 2006
    This seems good enough movie for me to watch. You will like this movie. This is way better than the sequel
  82. DaveH
    Jan 4, 2010
    I knew of the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise since this film came out but was never interested in it until I came across a poll posted on a website asking "best film trilogy?" and was curious about it. I already had this film in DVD but never saw it, I checked and hell, it was very interesting, the setting is good, the story is a littleflat but the ambient was so good and Jack Sparrow I knew of the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise since this film came out but was never interested in it until I came across a poll posted on a website asking "best film trilogy?" and was curious about it. I already had this film in DVD but never saw it, I checked and hell, it was very interesting, the setting is good, the story is a littleflat but the ambient was so good and Jack Sparrow is so much of a cool character. Definitely looking forward to seeing the other films and might see again this film several times. Expand
  83. AnneV.
    Oct 10, 2003
    This movie has it all; action, adventure, romance, suspense, and cute men. The movie is terrific and I could watch it again and again.
  84. NathanL.
    Nov 5, 2003
    My son insisted that we see this one. I wasn't so sure. BUT after the movie started, I sat there and I let the movie take me into another time and place. The choices that Johnny Depp made in his character portrayal were GENIUS. You cannot help but love the perfect balance of character development, humor, suspense anfd romance. Suspending my disbelief was easy, enjoyable and relaxing My son insisted that we see this one. I wasn't so sure. BUT after the movie started, I sat there and I let the movie take me into another time and place. The choices that Johnny Depp made in his character portrayal were GENIUS. You cannot help but love the perfect balance of character development, humor, suspense anfd romance. Suspending my disbelief was easy, enjoyable and relaxing in this flick. Go see it! Expand
  85. SeptemberJ.
    Dec 13, 2003
    Great Flick!! Johnny Depp was Awesome!
  86. ChristinaL.
    Dec 20, 2003
    It is a outstanding movie. Seeing Orlando Bloom in the play. It has nice set up and lots of acts done perfectly well.
  87. Emmy
    Dec 3, 2003
    It's the best movie ever!!!
  88. JudgeRage
    Dec 4, 2003
    This was so much fun! Thank you Johhny Depp!
  89. PeytonW.
    Dec 6, 2003
    An entertaining film. Nothing too inspiring about it to make it a "great movie", but overall I enjoyed watching it, and Depp's performance was spectacular. One of the better 'big budget, big special effects' films.
  90. DudleyR.
    Dec 6, 2003
    Without a doubt the best fun popcorn movie of the year. What a joy ride!
  91. PaulScottodiP.
    Dec 7, 2003
    Very entertaining movie and it is always a pleasure to see J. Depp play!
  92. Zach
    Oct 5, 2003
    This is the most entertaining movie of the year, and you have Johnny Depp to thank, again and again and again. Captain Sparrow's over the rop antics and numerous tics make even the shortest scene memorable. Geoffrey Rush is obviously having more than enough fun, chasing after a lost gold coin and screaming "Arrr!" at Depp and costar Keira Knightley, smartly cast as the heroine/damsel This is the most entertaining movie of the year, and you have Johnny Depp to thank, again and again and again. Captain Sparrow's over the rop antics and numerous tics make even the shortest scene memorable. Geoffrey Rush is obviously having more than enough fun, chasing after a lost gold coin and screaming "Arrr!" at Depp and costar Keira Knightley, smartly cast as the heroine/damsel in distress who is at times more cunning than anyone else. Definitely the best film of the summer. Expand
  93. LaurenD.
    Jul 10, 2003
    This Movie is faaaaaaabulous! Innovative, creative, and thrilling. Johnny Depp steals the show. Orlando is on his way with his acting as well! Awesome movie.
  94. MaxwellS.
    Jul 11, 2003
    Amazing! Fully visual with an amazing soundtrack and filled with wonderful performances from sadistic Geoffrey Rush, drunken-drag-queenesque Johnny Depp, and of course who could forget the two crazy pirates. As well, the effects supervisor deserves an oscar nod for such amazing effects with the moonlight skeletons. All-in-all superb!
  95. RyanB.
    Jul 10, 2003
    Eric is an idiot, he gave it four, the movie is great.
  96. CorneliusD.
    OUTSTANDING FAMILY FUN.
  97. JackSparrow
    Jul 10, 2003
    This movie is the greatest time I've had at the cinema all summer. Excellent acting all around, great sword fighting, and an A+ sense of humor. It may be a bit long winded, but I could never take my eyes away from Depp and Rush's brilliant performances. I wanna go again!
  98. MichelleP.
    Jul 12, 2003
    Well, after being disappointed with "Matrix Reloaded" AND "Legally Blonde 2", I felt there was no hope for a decent summer flick other than Nemo which I saw enough times. I was actually anticipating on seeing this movie (the trailers were the reason), but then the SF Chronicle pretty much gave it a bomb so I was reluctant to see it. But I did. And I had so much fun too. Johnny Depp MADE Well, after being disappointed with "Matrix Reloaded" AND "Legally Blonde 2", I felt there was no hope for a decent summer flick other than Nemo which I saw enough times. I was actually anticipating on seeing this movie (the trailers were the reason), but then the SF Chronicle pretty much gave it a bomb so I was reluctant to see it. But I did. And I had so much fun too. Johnny Depp MADE the movie, he was hilarious. It was like watching "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" only a bit more serious and it wasn't set in the medieval times. Had it not had in humor, this movie would have been AWFUL. The plot was very creative (heck if this film had been made into novel and not a movie it still would've been great). The action scenes held my attention better than "The Matrix Reloaded"'s did. And it had incredibly cool special effects as well. Yes, it's long but I didn't care. The only complaint I have is that one plot hole about Johnny Depp's character, but I don't want to give it away. Overall, go sea it, and ignore the negative reviews. Expand
  99. JacquieP.
    Jul 10, 2003
    Very entertaining movie! Definitely worth seeing in the theater. This movie has a little of everything: action, drama, romance, thrills! Yes, it was a little long, and some parts required a bit too much suspension of disbelief for me, but overall I like it. Depp gives a great performance as Jack Sparrow. I found the characters to be very believable. Would see again!
  100. ChuckD.
    Jul 13, 2003
    Cool special effects, great action sequences and an outstanding performance from Johnny Depp makes this the summers best movie Ive seen.

1. A film that dares to be smart, reasonably complicated and scary while swashing its buckles.
  2. Reviewed by: Ed Park
    Convoluted but diverting.
    Trimming half an hour from this bloated, 143-minute blockbuster would have highlighted the film's treasures, not the least of which is Johnny Depp's endearingly eccentric performance as Captain Jack Sparrow.