8.8

1. Jan 5, 2016
    I'm not a fan of pirate movies, but I got to admit it... this one did 'pirate' enough to say "Arr!" and basically the best in the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise.
  2. Nov 22, 2013
    Really well done blockbuster film. Funny, exciting, and good acting, especially from Johnny Depp make this movie extremely entertaining. While it could have been a lot more "badass", I kinda liked that they strayed from that and instead went more family friendly with it. I think it adds a certain tone which really adds to the movie.
  3. Sep 19, 2013
    The movie itself is very good, but it is the score that brings it to life and steps it up to the next level. Everyone knows the Pirates of the Caribbean theme, and Hans Zimmer is a master at movie scores. With exciting action to witness and a great score to hum along to, you can't go wrong with this movie.
  4. Aug 24, 2014
    Between land and sea, you'll find this to be more than an exciting adventure. If an action-adventure can provide you with ample thrills and laughter, what more do you need?
  5. Dec 7, 2015
    Yeah, some of the effects are dated now, but "The Curse Of The Black Pearl's" heart and soul still rings true to this day. Johnny Depp and Gore Verbinski accomplish the seemingly impossible - they turn a kitsch-y theme park ride into solid, filmic entertainment.
  6. Mar 25, 2012
    A smart and dark film at the same time. Yes it is a Disney film but is very scary. i enjoyed every minute of it. Jonny Depp's peformance is one for the ages.
  7. Jan 1, 2013
    The best movie in the Pirates franchise. Johnny Depp is perfect as Jack Sparrow, He really makes the movie imo. Good action, Solid acting by the rest of the cast, and an interesting and original story as well. I would definently recommend it.
  8. Nov 9, 2012
    The best film that could ever be made about pirates. Despite some cliches, the film has striking and brilliant action sequences, witty dialogue, and many other great characteristics that make it all its own.
  9. Dec 9, 2013
    Wonderfully entertaining. The entire concept was portrayed just as you think it would be. Jack Sparrow is one of if not the most amusing character to grace the screen. Excellent!
  10. May 20, 2014
    This was the fist movie I went to see in the cinema more than once, as far as I can recall.

The plot is eventful and full of twists. I like detailed movies, and here the camera angles, focus, colors, and little tips given with these underline the intent that is not stated in words, but left for the audience to figure out. Sometimes, we see things coming for a long time, but "The Curse of the Black Pearl" manages to surprise nonetheless, time and time again. Witty and sometimes fast-paced, this film is both serious and funny at the same time without ruining one of the two.

Most of the fighting scenes were very entertaining. The characteristics of each person are respectfully regarded, and instead of beating enemies into pulp, there are clever moves that make you sit on the edge of your seat in excitement - while grinning widely, especially if you've seen the film before.

The characters and actors are each their own individuals. The casting is perfect; Johnny Depp as the by-now iconic Captain Jack Sparrow, Orlando Bloom as Will Turner, the hero who has plenty of room to grow and become the man he's meant to be, and Elisabeth Swann (Keira Knightely), who can barely contain herself from becoming who she would really want to be instead of being what she's supposed to be. It's interesting how she's so much more interested in being a pirate than Will is, who has it in his blood (although in the beginning he would have none of that).

Also, it must be said that Geoffrey Rush as Captain Barbossa is born to be a pirate. Convincing and sophisticated while being a total brute... Not many can pull it off.

Many supporting characters just add into the world of the movie, and are very important to it and its spirit. The comic elements draw a lot from these characters, and their chemistry between each other is undeniably funny and thought-provoking.

Little hints to past events are thrown this way and that. Some remain unresolved to the end, and are there to deepen the world of the movie, and to be explored in the following sequels.

All in all, "Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl", is pretty much a perfect movie. The music, the plot, the characters, and the successful balance between action, mystery and comedy create a movie that sets a standard for the pirate movies to come.
  11. Jun 11, 2011
    This pirate adventure tells the story about Jack Sparrow, who meets a young woman named Elizabeth Swann after saving her life. One night, with the gold medallion she carries around her neck, she gets captured by the pirates aboard the Black Pearl by the evil Barbossa who is using her to get the cave to find the treasure. However, the whole pirate crew is immortal due to the medallion andThis pirate adventure tells the story about Jack Sparrow, who meets a young woman named Elizabeth Swann after saving her life. One night, with the gold medallion she carries around her neck, she gets captured by the pirates aboard the Black Pearl by the evil Barbossa who is using her to get the cave to find the treasure. However, the whole pirate crew is immortal due to the medallion and can turn into skeletons. With the help of a young man named Will Turner, Jack and his other crew members plan to save Elizabeth and put an end to Barbossa's reign once and for all.

Wow. I was thrilled when I caught the screening of this in July of 2003 that I have one word to say about it and the word is: FANTASTIC!!! Johnny Depp was very hilarious as Jack Sparrow and he was a very good actor. Orlando Bloom (for some reason, was in the third LOTR movie, which came out at the exact same year this movie did) did very well as Will Turner, Kiera Knightley (from King Arthur) was so cool as Elizabeth Swann and she was so freaking hot! Geoffrey Rush was very frightening, yet entertaining as Captain Barbossa and the rest of the actors did very well at their performances.

The CGI was pretty cool and even the action scenes were so cool. The storyline was well-paced and the cinematography was great.

There is nothing negative to say about this film, so I am in good hands.

Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl is an excellent Disney pirate adventure based on the popular ride from DisneyWorld and one of the best movies ever made from the early 2000s.

12. Oct 26, 2013
    The film brings and opens an eclectic version of the well known swashbuckler genre; a light-hearted, and amusing version with a hilarious Depp as the sardonic and metaphorical Jack Sparrow, and everyone else seems to be weaved into the plot. Bloom and Knightley make a poignant melodramatic piece to the film. It's authentic as it is ludicrous.
  13. Dec 27, 2013
    This may not be the greatest movie ever made but that does not mean it is boring at all. This is a really entertaining movie. The characters are likeable, the action is engaging, and there are some great performances. The film can drag at times and the story does get a tad overly complicated but not too much. Overall I really enjoy this movie. Pirates of the Carribean: The Curse of TheThis may not be the greatest movie ever made but that does not mean it is boring at all. This is a really entertaining movie. The characters are likeable, the action is engaging, and there are some great performances. The film can drag at times and the story does get a tad overly complicated but not too much. Overall I really enjoy this movie. Pirates of the Carribean: The Curse of The Black Pearl is a ton of fun to watch and just makes you want to be a pirate. I’ve seen it several times and I know I’ll probably wind up watching it again in the future. Expand
  14. Dec 30, 2011
    Johnny Depp brings life to this breathtaking, exhausting, amazing and action packed film with a completely funny, unpredictable performance and the supporting cast does well too. I give this film 83%.
  15. Jun 28, 2013
    A blockbuster in every way, The Curse of the Black Pearl is a perfect start to a massively grossing franchise that is still going, flawed but definitely enjoyable, much more than a film based on a theme park ride should have been.
    Johnny Depp creates a character that will undoubtedly be one of if not the most iconic of all his roles, Captain Jack Sparrow, don't forget the 'Captain' part, he won't like that. A man famous for us often personal and more bizarre roles has created one of the most memorable and comic characters we have seen, and to top it all off, he's a pirate.
    Set in the midst of the age of the cutlass-wielding treasure hunters, Jack lands in Port Royal where inadvertently saves the Governors daughter, Elizabeth Swan (Kiera Knightley). He somewhat befriends blacksmith Will Turner (Orlando Bloom) who sets out with him to capture the infamous Black Pearl, a ship run by the dead who have been cursed after stealing the wrong sort of treasure.
    The set-pieces are explosive and the dialogue is a homage to the age the film is set in. There is quite a reliance on humour, which pays off in many aspects throughout the film but at other points can fall short of its target, the two high points of this being Jack Sparrow himself played uniquely by Depp, bringing his very own take and charisma to the character, and Geoffrey Rush who plays the Captain of the Black Pearl, Barbosa, whose confident and grumbled Irish accent and command of the screen, along the unfortunately limited screen time himself and Depp share together, make up very dark and witty humour throughout.
    The heart of the film is lead by Knightley and Bloom who have a blossoming romance on the cards, their scenes can be a little dramatic for the theme of the film, and more time should have been spent getting to know these pirates more, but take the good with the bad I suppose.
    Of course the true brand of the film is that of Jack Sparrow, his mumbling and comedic quips with those surrounding him are electrifying through the talent of Depp, and while the supporting cast are on sound form, he truly steals the show, along with quite the satisfying finale that of course opened all sorts of doors. The film is quite remarkable in the sense of its emergence from nothing, but I suppose if Ron Howard takes inspiration from paintings, a theme park ride is bound to be a creative playground.
  16. Mar 16, 2015
    One of the best films of last decade. The action is great, the plot is clear (unlike the other movies in the series), and the acting was great. Oh, and it's funny too!
  17. Sep 29, 2013
    I absolutely loved this movie. Anything and everything I ever wanted in a pirate movie, all in one place.

Excellent visuals, fantastic performances and gripping story.

Overall:
    I can not fault this movie for anything. I have watched it countless times and will continue to watch it many times more.
  18. Jan 31, 2015
    "Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl" is undeniably a fun film. The action is entertaining, the story is not engaging but it will keep you entertained and Johnny Depp's performance is witty at best.

I'm gonna give this movie a solid 7/10.
  19. Feb 6, 2014
    This is a movie that's got everything from an exceptional story, wonderful music, fantasy, humor & action to great special effects, and the most important thing: the actors are awesome in this movie! This movie got so many unique things that you haven't seen before, & combined with eventful scenes, is this movie awesome.
    The beginning however, could have been more eventful maybe, because
    The beginning however, could have been more eventful maybe, because it felt a little boring, and it took a while for the movie to start. Another bad thing about this movie is that it's a little boring at some places, and that they could have done more spectacular things, but that doesn't matter actually, because this is a stunning & awesome movie with real action that you can watch over and over.

Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl gets a 8/10
  20. Nov 5, 2013
    "Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl" has well exceeded my expectations. It's humorous, action-packed and thrilling. Johnny Depp is fantastic as Jack Sparrow. The problem with it is that sometimes focuses too much on humor and forgets the plot.
  21. Dec 30, 2014
    it's a simple yet amazing movie. it had simple plot of ghost story based around pirate mythology with great actors, soundtrack, and cinematography. it has great charm to it that i think is missing from a lot of films like this and i think that comes from it's characters. it's my favourite disney movie and i hope future movies with replicate what made it great
  22. Apr 18, 2016

There is nothing negative to say about this film, so I am in good hands.

23. Dec 21, 2015
    I can't believe i forgot to review this saga!! I remember the first time i watched "Pirates of the carribean" with my dad. This is without any doubt, the best pirate movie saga yet! I personally like the other part a bit more, but overall i don't think you should miss any of the series!
  24. Apr 4, 2016
    The action comedy "Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl" raises one of the most overlooked and important cinematic questions of our time: Can a movie maintain the dramatic integrity of a theme park ride?

In this case the answer is — sure. The director Gore Verbinski's penchant for logistics — combined with the producer Jerry Bruckheimer's desire to spend like a drunken pirate when it comes to putting everything on screen — melts into an often frenetic, colorful and entertaining comic adventure that often seems to be using "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid" as a template. The dazzling, high-flying silliness is quite an achievement. The movie is better than it deserves to be, given its origins: a ride at Disneyland and Disney World.

Mr. Verbinski's staging is as vertiginous as an amusement park ride and places the wiry and beauteous tomboy Keira Knightley at the center. Her physical assurance suggests what Nicole Kidman might be like if she didn't spend so much time coughing tragically into handkerchiefs in an equally tragic pursuit of important roles.

Ms. Knightley is Elizabeth Swann, owner of a medallion that gets the plot going a scant hour into "Pirates." This trinket is first seen in a prologue sequence, in which little Elizabeth steals it from an equally young Will Turner. She has also stolen (sigh) his heart, as Will (Orlando Bloom) grows up to be a stalwart blacksmith — and more than able swordsman — who nurtures a secret crush on her. Ms. Knightley is strident and confident in her movement, an ability that makes her all the sexier and alluring, which is fortunate, given that her acting skills aren't quite as devastating as her looks.

The movie belongs to Johnny Depp as Capt. Jack Sparrow the pirate, a rapscallion who's as woozy as someone who has endured much too much time on a roller coaster. Mr. Depp doesn't get the opportunity to display his gift for comedy often, and his mellow, dizzied underplaying here is a balm, an antidote to the raucous battles and swashbuckling.

Gargling his consonants before spitting them out, Mr. Depp's pirate suggests a man who has spent either a great deal of time with Keith Richards after a tour of the Rebel Yell factory, or a man who has spent a great deal of time watching Mike Myers do his Keith Richards impression. Either way, festooned with dreadlocks and braids in his hair and beard, and wearing enough industrial-strength mascara to indicate that Captain Jack was probably influenced by another King of the Wild Frontier — Adam Ant — Mr. Depp offers a ratty, bedeviled turn that keeps the picture in motion during that extended period when there's not much plot involved.

But when this protracted state of narrative lassitude suddenly shifts, "Pirates" brings in enough story line for several movies. And in the words of Bart Simpson, it takes a knife-wielding maniac to show us the way: in this case it's the entrance of the pirate Barbossa (Geoffrey Rush, who's nearly as game — and gamy — as Mr. Depp).

He kidnaps Elizabeth because of the medallion. (There's a side benefit. "She's the governor's daughter," one of Barbossa's hearties cackles.) The medallion turns out to be an enchanted piece of gold, which, with the blood of a special someone, can free Barbossa and his swabbies from their curse: they're the larcenous undead whose skeletons can be seen in the moonlight at night.

In addition Barbossa now commands the swift, capable ship the Black Pearl, which he seized from Jack Sparrow in a mutiny, after which he left Sparrow to die. Seeking revenge, Sparrow steals a ship and finds a new crew of his own, including Will, to pursue Barbossa.

There are plenty of salty, fatty moments in "Pirates" among the clearly staged fighting and rum-flavored comedy provided by Mr. Depp, Mr. Rush and the rest of the cast, including Jonathan Pryce as Elizabeth's craven, officious governor father. It's a hip slice of summer ham.

Mr. Verbinski swings his stylistic flourishes, which compel him to turn most interiors into haunted houses for their joke potential, and this notion gives the movie a deliriously antic air. Hilariously, every time the Black Pearl sails into view, an ominous cloud swirls around it, even in beautiful daylight. It's as if Barbossa carries his menacing mystique with him wherever he goes.

This is one of the few films that could justify use of a term that should never be used in describing a movie — a thrill ride — since it is, after all, based on one. Mr. Verbinski especially uses the scene in which Elizabeth discovers exactly what her captors want, in which she's thrown and shoved as if she were being slammed around on a roller coaster, to remind us of this.

Eventually it crams in so much plot information that there's an unwieldy surfeit of narrative treasure: it's bootylicious.
  25. Nov 23, 2011
    Actually was pretty good. The only decent film in the entire series if you ask me. While the long run time does hurt it a bit, It was still an enjoyable film.
  26. Apr 23, 2015
    For those taking a global view of Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl, it's very easy to be cynical. This is, after all, cross-promotion at its most blatant. What could be more marketable that one of Disney's most popular theme park attractions? The name recognition is already in place - all that's necessary to complete the puzzle is a story that will fit the ride. ButFor those taking a global view of Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl, it's very easy to be cynical. This is, after all, cross-promotion at its most blatant. What could be more marketable that one of Disney's most popular theme park attractions? The name recognition is already in place - all that's necessary to complete the puzzle is a story that will fit the ride. But there are two reasons why jaded ranting isn't the best way to proceed with this review. In the first place, no one really cares. And, more importantly, this is actually an entertaining experience.

Pirates of the Caribbean is good, but not great. Swashbuckling adventures are few and far between these days, so it's a pleasant surprise to see one that is competently made. To add to the enjoyment, the movie never takes itself too seriously. If there wasn't so much action, it would be tempting to classify the production as a comedy. Alas, Pirates of the Caribbean runs for a good 30 minutes too long (the protracted battles with the undead, who cannot be killed, become repetitive), and the denouement is on the weak side. Taken as a whole, however, the movie represents solid fun. A word of caution to parents, however: the PG-13 rating is an indicator that certain elements of the movie are not for younger children. Proceed carefully with sensitive under-11 children.

As was true with director Gore Verbinski's previous outing, The Ring, Pirates of the Caribbean oozes atmosphere. The humor keeps it from becoming too creepy, but there are still a few chills to be had. I was in some ways reminded of Sam Raimi's Army of Darkness, where there were lots of skeletons marching around, some of which were acting like the Three Stooges. Verbinski gets huge assists from cinematographer Dariusz Wolski and composer Klaus Badelt, who is responsible for one of 2003's few memorable musical scores. And, of course, we get to hear a few refrains of the memorable Pirates of the Caribbean anthem: "Yo ho! Yo ho! A pirate's life for me!"

Pirates of the Caribbean belongs to Johnny Depp. Keira Knightley (now a familiar face in the wake of Bend It Like Beckham) and Orlando Bloom (The Lord of the Rings' Legolas, sans ears and blond hair) make a cute couple, and Geoffrey Rush is typically over-the-top as the bad guy, but the star of every scene is Depp. With several gold teeth in his mouth and beads in his hair, Depp plays the part with an engaging goofiness that sets the movie's tone. In one scene, Sparrow becomes blind drunk, but his behavior isn't all that different from when he's sober - a clear indicator of where Depp elected to take the character. Sparrow is a rogue through-and-through, and, although he may have a heart of gold, it's definitely tarnished. Take away Depp, and you're left with a derivative and dull motion picture.

As is mandated by the first rule of summer movies - sustain the action - Pirates of the Caribbean is wall-to-wall battles, chases, and fights. The only pauses are those necessitated by the need to advance the plot through exposition. There's lots of swordplay, including a lengthy and memorable struggle between Sparrow and Will. It's probably the best example of cinematic swordfighting since The Mask of Zorro. (It doesn't come close to the clash between Wesley and Inigo Montoya in The Princess Bride. In that movie, the actors did their own fencing. Here, it's clear from the obscuring camera angles that stunt performers were involved.) For those who are familiar with the amusement park attraction, most of the key scenes are included (although the hairy leg is missing), emphasizing the movie's tie-in nature.
  27. Mar 15, 2011
    Who knew turning a theme park attraction into a movie would create an awesome movie and an incredible trilogy! Thank you Disney! And thank you Johnny Depp for making Captain Jack Sparrow such an iconic character!
  28. Feb 9, 2013
    One of the most entertaining movies I've ever seen. Johnny Depp delivers his most memorable performance. It combined comedy, horror, adventure and action flawlessly. This is the only movie where I liked Keira Knightley. Orlando Bloom seemed somewhat off, though. His acting is the only thing that improved over the next two movies. Sadly, the series on a whole turned out to be a one hit wonder.
  29. Sep 9, 2015
    This is a very good film. You might be skeptical of a movie based on a theme park ride but this movie will surprise you. Johnny Depp is brilliant as Jack Sparrow, one of his best roles in my opinion. Of course, it's rather dark and violent for a Disney movie but you can't expect them to do the same thing all the time. I'd definitely recommend this, it's a very good movie.
  30. Feb 26, 2015
    Sensacional!!!!,Com um brilhante roteiro escrito por Ted Elliot e Terry Rossio,Piratas Do Caribe é uma excelente aventura. Com clássicas cenas de ações,memoráveis falas,e brilhantes atuações de Johnny Depp e Geoffrey Rush,Johnny Depp na sua singular e inédita atuação montou um personagem inesquecível e amado por toda a terra Jack Sparrow desculpe Capitão Jack Sparrow,e Geoffrey Rush éSensacional!!!!,Com um brilhante roteiro escrito por Ted Elliot e Terry Rossio,Piratas Do Caribe é uma excelente aventura. Com clássicas cenas de ações,memoráveis falas,e brilhantes atuações de Johnny Depp e Geoffrey Rush,Johnny Depp na sua singular e inédita atuação montou um personagem inesquecível e amado por toda a terra Jack Sparrow desculpe Capitão Jack Sparrow,e Geoffrey Rush é genial como o antagonista Hector Barbossa Capitão Barbossa,Uma ótima história com muito humor. Merecidamente digno de fantásticas sequências e uma franquia de super sucesso comercial. Expand
  31. Dec 23, 2013
    Creepy but not too creepy and it has a perfectly gripping and entertaining story. Depp is great in the lead and the entire cast supports him perfectly. This film is the film that really made pirates interesting again and it is certainly worth a watch.
  32. Mar 24, 2016
    Pirates of the Caribbean is a totally different pirate movie, which is actually what makes this movie good. While the plot seems kinda dumb, its humor, characters, and overall thrill makes this a interesting touch.
  33. Feb 27, 2015
    Divertida, oscura, repleta de acción, efectos especiales y buenas actuaciones, La primera parte tiene un toque mas serio que sus próximas secuelas, pero aun así, es una excelente pelicula.
  34. Nov 22, 2015
    I have always liked the idea of being a pirate or having those sword fights, and it certainly is enjoyable to watch in this movie. Every single thing. Acting, scenes and storytelling is made well and carefully.
  35. Jul 11, 2013
    I'm writing this review after watching The Lone Ranger. I think the amount of time and dip in quality in between the first Pirates movie and The Lone Ranger really solidifies my opinion on the general decay of Hollywood. I have a limited amount of hope for Pirates 5.
  36. Jul 29, 2013
    Excelente trabajo mostrando talento, originalidad y una forma de demostrar que disney puede dar accion buena y no de princesas por un man si no puede sacar y sacarle el jugo a la accion
  37. May 31, 2016
    This movie really is something special. From Johnny Depp, to the score. It's impressive how this movie came about because of the disney ride. This movie has become a film classic.
  38. Dec 11, 2011
    "The Curse of the Black Pearl" is a 143 minutes ride of a thrilling adventure featuring rich CGI, action-packed tone and a powerful performance from Depp. This is a perfect summer blockbuster.
  39. Oct 18, 2014
    For the roguish yet charming Captain Jack Sparrow (Depp), the crystalline waters if the Caribbean present a vast playground where adventure and mystery abound. But Jack's idyllic pirate life capsizes after his nemesis, the wily Captain Barbossa (Rush), steals his ship, the Black Pearl, and kidnaps the Governor's (Pryce) beautiful daughter, Elizabeth Swann (Knightley).
  40. Sep 9, 2015
    The best Pirates movie so far. Johnny Depp is brilliant, Orlando Bloom is brilliant, Kira Knightly is brilliant.. basically all the actors and actresses are brilliant in their roles, and the story is great. You'd have to be pretty grumpy not to like this thriller of a ride!
  41. Aug 30, 2013
    Simply one of the best movies ever made!! Very suspenseful!!! Very very very very good!!! A huge well done to Gore Verbinski, his crew and all the actors of that picture.
  42. Mar 27, 2016
    super fun and funny and pretty enjoyable......................................................................................................,...............
  43. Mar 21, 2011
    Arg this is a pirates life for me! With unforgettable characters, a clever script, incredible action sequences, and an excellent mood, Pirates of the Caribbean is the perfect blockbuster and an incredible ride! :D
  44. Jul 14, 2013
    This film is a film that caught everyone off guard- no one expected a Pirate film to be this epic and amazing! The film has a surprisingly well written and witty script, a fantastic and perfect performance by Johnny Depp, awesome action sequences, classic and awesome music (Klaus Badelt and Hans Zimmer do spectacular) and the visuals are epic. This film has classic written all over itThis film is a film that caught everyone off guard- no one expected a Pirate film to be this epic and amazing! The film has a surprisingly well written and witty script, a fantastic and perfect performance by Johnny Depp, awesome action sequences, classic and awesome music (Klaus Badelt and Hans Zimmer do spectacular) and the visuals are epic. This film has classic written all over it and is one of the best adventure films ever made, Disney rarely disappoints lads and lasses. Expand
  45. Nov 29, 2013
    I loved it. It had dark moments, especially for a Disney movie. Plus it had extremely great humor from Johnny Depp, which added to the excitingly fun movie.
  46. Feb 13, 2016
    Best pirates of the Caribbean movie of all time. Loved the supernatural element they added to this movie. Captain Barbarossa was a very good villain and one of the best villain performances of this century. Also this was johnny Depp's best performance he has ever given. He was so funny random and just pure jot to watch. I swear there is nothing wrong with this movie. It's prefect in everyBest pirates of the Caribbean movie of all time. Loved the supernatural element they added to this movie. Captain Barbarossa was a very good villain and one of the best villain performances of this century. Also this was johnny Depp's best performance he has ever given. He was so funny random and just pure jot to watch. I swear there is nothing wrong with this movie. It's prefect in every single way. The locations are great the action scenes are fantastic and this movie is definitively one of my top ten favorite movies of all time. Expand
  47. Jun 11, 2012
    Pirates of the Caribbean looks to be the beginning of a new franchise that millions are going to enjoy, not only for the story, but for the cast and over-the-top action the film provides.
  48. May 11, 2012
    Pirates of the Caribbean: the curse of the black pearl is a hilarious action packed comedy/(kind of) horror. It's brilliant, with great action, humor, horror, good acting, very good special effects for the time that it was made (they'd still be OK if they were in a film made now), and an interesting plot. I'm tempted to give it a ten, you really should watch it if you haven't seen it already!
  49. Jan 11, 2015
    While I was originally skeptical about the film, the first installment in the Pirates of the Caribbean series will leave you wanting for more fast-paced adventures with Jack Sparrow and Hector Barbossa.
  50. Jun 20, 2015
    Entertaining and well-spirited swashbuckler going beyond the ride in joyfully creating a world of story, of character and of heart. Even though it's boring on occasion, was the ride not a little dull at times, being a water ride, the movie is a roller coaster. It takes dip and dives but not enough twirls and spirals to make a terrific memorable film become a classic. Moreover, JohnnyEntertaining and well-spirited swashbuckler going beyond the ride in joyfully creating a world of story, of character and of heart. Even though it's boring on occasion, was the ride not a little dull at times, being a water ride, the movie is a roller coaster. It takes dip and dives but not enough twirls and spirals to make a terrific memorable film become a classic. Moreover, Johnny Depp's performance is not only iconic, he has defined an image of himself, very rare showing in such case Disney still has got the chops. Expand
  51. CRL
    Aug 27, 2011
    Nothing is better than the original, as is the truth with the film that introduced Captain Jack Sparrow to the world that has yet to let go. The first Pirates movie is a boatload of wacky, PG-13 fun, filled with sword-fights, skeletons, general hilarity, and the kind of cheesy love story that adds to the movie instead of subtracting from it.
  52. May 5, 2014
    A fun tale based off a ride. Johnny Depp owns this role and is debatebly his most known roleof all time. He is so funny and brings such a joy to the film.
  53. Apr 13, 2014
    The first installment of the POTC Movie franchise is a very fun and very enjoyable film to watch. It has a fun and enjoyable cast of characters, a good story and some cool atmospheres. Another thing about this film is that I like all the references this film makes to the Disneyland attraction it was based off making this seem like a good "tribute" film in a way. One thing I will say aboutThe first installment of the POTC Movie franchise is a very fun and very enjoyable film to watch. It has a fun and enjoyable cast of characters, a good story and some cool atmospheres. Another thing about this film is that I like all the references this film makes to the Disneyland attraction it was based off making this seem like a good "tribute" film in a way. One thing I will say about this film, however, is the action and fighting scenes is a little repetitive in a way, but over all it was mostly good. POTC: The Curse of the Black Pearl is a very good film that no one should miss out on. I'd recommend it. Expand
  54. Aug 6, 2012
    The first and only the best movie in the series. While enjoying some of the great performances including the plot, characters and action scenes, Johnny Depp was at his most humorous state.
  55. Mar 8, 2013
    The best pirate movie ever made. An instant classic and a masterpiece great for both children and adults!
  56. Apr 19, 2012
    Pirates Of The Caribbean: The Curse Of The Black Pearl is flawed fun. It's mostly predictable, it's got some good gags, but it's heavily flawed. The film has literally HUNDREDS of contradictions and plot holes. I enjoyed the film, but the contradicitions were distracting. This film has a fantastic first half hour. It's funny, and thrilling at times. However, after that first half hour, thePirates Of The Caribbean: The Curse Of The Black Pearl is flawed fun. It's mostly predictable, it's got some good gags, but it's heavily flawed. The film has literally HUNDREDS of contradictions and plot holes. I enjoyed the film, but the contradicitions were distracting. This film has a fantastic first half hour. It's funny, and thrilling at times. However, after that first half hour, the quality drops. It's still enjoyable, and you will be entertained, but it never lives up to that first half hour. The musical score is VERY good. There were too many hands in the score for me to properly credit anyone, but Hanz Zimmer played a big part in the score, and it shows. The action, is mostly generic, and will never have you on the edge of your seat. At times, the action is even predictable. At the minimum, it's passable, and not terrible. The acting is strong. Performances from Johnny Depp, Orlando Bloom, and Geofferey Rush shine. The story is a little on the cliche side, but it's a silly tale, and no one really cares. In addition to contradictions, there were a lot of moments where I rolled my eyes at the improbability of it all. Of course, teenage boys tend to eat that stuff up. POTC: TCOTBP is a fun, albeit flawed movie, that's probably best for teens and tweens with low expectations. Expand
  57. Sep 8, 2011
    A good movie all around. Good acting, good writing, great score, some really memorable quotes. Depp as Jack Sparrow should go down in film history as one of the greatest characters ever. There is something off about the final scene that I can't quite figure out, but that's my only real complaint.
  58. Jan 24, 2015
    Pirates of the Caribbean im not sure is that a good movie or a bad but its definitely something that's never made before in the film industry there are not many movies with pirates specially a mad pirates like Jack Sparrow (Johnny Depp).The movie take you to an advanture that you can not only see you can even feel it with every minute of the movie .They are so many aspects of the movie wePirates of the Caribbean im not sure is that a good movie or a bad but its definitely something that's never made before in the film industry there are not many movies with pirates specially a mad pirates like Jack Sparrow (Johnny Depp).The movie take you to an advanture that you can not only see you can even feel it with every minute of the movie .They are so many aspects of the movie we have two lovers the blacksmith Orlando Bloom and the outstanding Keira Knightley in role of daughter of the governer Who are trying to gather but the circumstances don't allow that so easly .We have cursed captain Barbosa who is trying to broke the curse and he will not stop until he do it even if that mean to destroy the hole England army of port Royal.The movie is what exactly have to be an ADVENTURE and is there a better adventure than this with crazy pirate played by Jhonny Dep . Expand
  59. May 26, 2012
    The story starts off at Port Royal. Here, a well-known pirate, Captain Jack Sparrow (Johnny Depp), arrives at the town. He escapes from the governor and the militia but ends up fighting a blacksmith by the name of Will Turner (Orlando Bloom). Jack is eventually caught by the militia and is imprisoned. All of a sudden, a ship with black flags, The Black Pearl, comes to the town with aThe story starts off at Port Royal. Here, a well-known pirate, Captain Jack Sparrow (Johnny Depp), arrives at the town. He escapes from the governor and the militia but ends up fighting a blacksmith by the name of Will Turner (Orlando Bloom). Jack is eventually caught by the militia and is imprisoned. All of a sudden, a ship with black flags, The Black Pearl, comes to the town with a pirate crew and the captain aboard. The pirates start to pillage the village and eventually Will gets knocked because of all the mayhem. Two other pirates go to the governor's palace to capture his daughter, Elizabeth Swan (Keira Knightley), but what they are really after is something that she possesses, a necklace bearing a gold coin. These pirates capture Elizabeth and Will wants to get her back so he breaks Jack out of his cell and they both set off on a quest to rescue Elizabeth. Though Jack, has intentions of his own which involve the captain of the Black Pearl, Captain Barbosa. Yes, you might have guessed that the story can't be that simple and you're right. It isn't. But what would be the fun if I just told you the whole story? Anyways, this isn't an ordinary pirates story even though it does involve some treasure. The first movie of this series is much better than I really expected it to be. The movie is funny, action-packed, and has a crew of excellent actors and actresses. This movie also has great visuals and a story that clings to you so you can't wait until you see the end. The story for this film is probably the best that Disney has provided for a live-action film so far. When I was watching this film, it didn't feel like a Disney movie at all and I was kind of upset for not keeping up with the series before. I mean, this movie was unlike any other Disney movie I have seen before. It actually had some real action (mostly sword fights) and great actors. I do not think this movie could have been done better. Well, maybe better visuals since we have advanced in that aspect but that's besides the point. Expand
  60. Aug 25, 2012
    Just watched the film as it was on TV a few hours ago, already seen it beforehand, but seeing it again let me write this review properly, it was action-packed, hilarious and kept you sitting there watching it without wanting to get up out of your seat. Not to mention the amazing music by Hanz Zimmer.
  61. Aug 22, 2010
    An instantly classic movie that i've seen way too many times because it's so good. The music is especially awesome as well as the hilarious quirkiness of Captain Jack Sparrow. Never gets old.
  62. Feb 9, 2013
    The original movie is definitely the best of the series due to it having better pacing, a greater balance of comedy and action and the best performances the actors.
  63. Dec 3, 2011
    The film maybe long and sometimes too over the top, but Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl is a good popcorn film filled with comedy, drama and action, especially a lot of action. I may have said the acting at times can be too over the top with many of the characters, but some performances like Johnny Depp (Jack Sparrow) and Geoffrey Rush (Captain Barbossa) wereThe film maybe long and sometimes too over the top, but Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl is a good popcorn film filled with comedy, drama and action, especially a lot of action. I may have said the acting at times can be too over the top with many of the characters, but some performances like Johnny Depp (Jack Sparrow) and Geoffrey Rush (Captain Barbossa) were believable throughout the movie. The plot for the most part was straight forward, though this would be a film you have to listen carefully, for sometimes the dialogue from some thick speaking actors will recital things too quickly. If you want to hear a good old pirate's tale, then The Curse of the Black Pearl is the film you must keep an eye on. All audience alike will certainly not be disappointed. Expand
  64. Jul 8, 2015
    Great start to the series with jack sparrow at his best and some very memorable lines and scenes and even with this film being quiet violent it still has its funny moments.
  65. Jan 6, 2011
    There is a girl in my class that would have the same opinion of this movie as I do, Great story, interesting plot and hilarious moments... This is truly a great that will go down in history... But the rest might not....... Looking forward to 4th movie coming to cinema soon
  66. May 26, 2011
    They say the first is always the best and it certainly applies here. Pirates of the Carribean: The Curse of the Black Pearl is the start to arguably one of the best film franchises to date. If you like comedy, action, drama, romance- actually, if you like watching movies in general, you have got to see this one. I don't usually give films a solid ten (I think this is the first) but I canThey say the first is always the best and it certainly applies here. Pirates of the Carribean: The Curse of the Black Pearl is the start to arguably one of the best film franchises to date. If you like comedy, action, drama, romance- actually, if you like watching movies in general, you have got to see this one. I don't usually give films a solid ten (I think this is the first) but I can find no flaws here. It has a great plot, great performance by the cast, great visual effects and very memorable music. Just watch it already. Expand
  67. Jul 4, 2013
    The first film in the series is unquestionably the best. Jack Sparrow is an excellent character, and really carries the movie. It reminds me of the old Marx Brothers films: if not for Groucho, Chico, and Harpo, they would be bland and nobody would care, but thanks to Jack Sparrow who seems to incorporate the best elements of all three the movie ends up fantastically entertaining. WillThe first film in the series is unquestionably the best. Jack Sparrow is an excellent character, and really carries the movie. It reminds me of the old Marx Brothers films: if not for Groucho, Chico, and Harpo, they would be bland and nobody would care, but thanks to Jack Sparrow who seems to incorporate the best elements of all three the movie ends up fantastically entertaining. Will Turner may be the protagonist by any helpful analysis of story structure, but Jack is the reason you're watching, and he's well worth it.

The Curse of the Black Pearl has a solid, familiar-yet-surprising story at its heart, that never loses sight of where it's going next. This is part of what makes it good: you can guess roughly where it's going next, and have your expectations confirmed, but there's always some surprise complication waiting for you when you get there, so you're never bored. One of the best Disney movies of the 2000s, and well worth seeing by anyone.
  68. May 24, 2014
    To cut it short, this movie would be a great adventure and pirate movie with every possible quality if it didn't try to cram every single scene with comic relief.

Now I like comic relief and I understand this is a Disney movie, but when Jack Sparrow is having his epic final battle with Barbossa and everything hangs in the balance of that fight, interrupting it several times to see the governor batting a skeletal forearm like a wuss and seeing a pirate chase after his glass eye amidst the fighting in a tom-and-jerry kind of comedy is the last thing I want to see.

The overabundance of misplaced comic relief brings a solid 8 or maybe 9/10 to a 6 or 7 at best.
  69. Sep 12, 2012
    The first real Pirates movie in history! Easily fun, exciting, and intriguing! It brings out the action in you and swordplay. Johnny Depp is truly a great actor, and Will and elizibeth make great couples.
  70. Aug 15, 2013
    This was an amazing movie. It still remains to be one of the best movies that I have ever seen, even though it has been 10 years since I first saw it. Highly recommended.
  71. Mar 31, 2016
    One would think it's a curse to have to transform a theme park attraction into a summer cinematic spectacle, but shiver me timbers, the only hex that burdens Disney's Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl is its unwieldy title. This rollicking adventure from director Gore Verbinski is in love with the sights and sounds of pirate movie tropes—sailors swinging from shipOne would think it's a curse to have to transform a theme park attraction into a summer cinematic spectacle, but shiver me timbers, the only hex that burdens Disney's Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl is its unwieldy title. This rollicking adventure from director Gore Verbinski is in love with the sights and sounds of pirate movie tropes—sailors swinging from ship ropes, sword fights, cannon balls flying through the air, glistening pirate bounty—and benefits immensely from both the filmmaker's successful fusion of arch comedy, swashbuckling action, mild horror (a trick neither his execrable The Mexican, nor his leaden The Ring, could pull off), and his willingness to let Johnny Depp overact his heart out.

Depp, dressed up in a variety of colorful scarves that only partially contain his unruly tangle of dreadlocks and beaded hair, plays infamous pirate rascal Captain Jack Sparrow with limp wrists, a prancing gait, and a lilting British drawl that turns every “th” sound into an “f.” An androgynous king of the high seas, Sparrow is a gracefully asexual fop who, by embodying both feminine prettiness and masculine brashness, seems well aware of how to bend it like Beckham. Flashing his gold-toothed smile with a roguish delight that playfully hints at the naughtiness being concocted inside his scraggly head, Depp commands the screen so forcefully that it's difficult to sustain interest in the film when he's not front and center. During such lulls, one is forced to contend with the de facto love story between blacksmith Will Turner (Orlando Bloom) and governor's daughter Elizabeth Swann (Keira Knightley), who is kidnapped by the undead crew of the legendary Black Pearl for possessing a piece of their cursed gold. Swann's abduction and Turner's quest to save her (which involves enlisting Sparrow's help) is the plot's catalyst, but since Pirates' greatest asset is Depp's uninhibited antics, things tend to drag when the puckish Sparrow is confined to mere supporting player.

Bloom does an admirable job looking like a mini-Errol Flynn, and Knightley's delicate features clash winningly with her character's unladylike feistiness, but both are regularly upstaged by Depp, Geoffrey Rush as the decrepit Captain Barbossa, and a gaggle of peripheral characters (pirates and British alike) who contribute to the richness of Verbinski's theme park-inspired tapestry. Narrative repetition muddles up the film's second act, in which the adventurers find themselves visiting, and then revisiting, the same locales and skirmishes, but the occasionally monotonous escapades are bolstered by some playful Harryhausen-esque CGI villains—the Black Pearl's pirates, when caught in a blade of moonlight, are revealed to be walking, talking skeletons—and the director's eagerness to embrace, while slyly poking fun at, the hoary clichés his film must dutifully adhere to. Like the hidden stash of Caribbean rum that Sparrow and Swann enjoy after being stranded on a remote island by the dastardly Captain Barbossa, Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl is an intoxicating delight that abounds with woozy charm and delectable spiciness.
  72. May 18, 2011
    This movie will make you love pirates if you didn't already love it. Depp is great in this! Lots of cool sword fights and action scenes in it, too! It's a great story, and will want to watch it over and over again!
  73. Jul 7, 2013
    Great action movie. One of the only good series Hollywood has produced in the last 10 years.

I don't know how someone could not like this. Even if its just Triple-A action fluff, its very good at it. This is one of the only "ultimate theatre experiences" along with film franchises like Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Batman (Begins Dark Knight Rises), and Terminator 1 & 2. I'm not sure how, with as few good modern movies as there are, anyone could pick and choose which modern epics they enjoy.
  74. LeeS
    Jul 10, 2003
    Finally. Tis... but all I need to say.
  75. MaxM.
    Jul 10, 2003
    Please, these people are so on crack... this is the best Bruckheimer production ever! Fun and interesting! With Depp as a bonus and a great bonus at that! Jack Sparrow deserves a franchise more than any other character in the last 5 years!!
  76. KCReynolds
    Aug 4, 2003
    Johnny Depp and Geoffrey Rush were awesome - makes me want to be a pirate too!
  77. KateB.
    Aug 26, 2006
    What is with the critics who don't like this film? It's amazing! With Johnny Depp playing the main character it is great and the best movie in ages. The balance of action and everything else works, and I like it.
  78. AlexisJ.
    Oct 11, 2003
    This film is simply... perfect. depp is unbeliably perfect as Jack Sparrow. He has perfected his character!
  79. TaniaS.
    Oct 10, 2003
    It's a super movie!!! Depp, Bloom, Rush and Knightley are so good and a little secret for the girls: Depp is so cute and has so much humor! I was laughing all long!! Congratulations, Verbinski!!
  80. Melissa
    Dec 1, 2003
    Best movie I've seen all year. I enjoyed every one hundred and forty-three minutes of it. JD is cute, even when he looks like a pirate that just washed up on shore.
  81. MattD.
    Jul 11, 2003
    A fantastic movie. Loved Depp, loved the girl, Bloom's not my favorite, but that's personal pref. The biggest shock was the trailer for Haunted Mansion actualy looked pretty good.
  82. M.Austin
    Jul 19, 2003
    What a great surprise. When the idea for this movie first surfaced, my timbers shivered: pirate movie, based on a ride, lots of CGI - the perfect formula for bloated excess. But there was always the glimmer of hope that a Johnny Depp movie couldn't be without some merit. Thankfully, someone decided early on that they would counter the excesses of effects with an What a great surprise. When the idea for this movie first surfaced, my timbers shivered: pirate movie, based on a ride, lots of CGI - the perfect formula for bloated excess. But there was always the glimmer of hope that a Johnny Depp movie couldn't be without some merit. Thankfully, someone decided early on that they would counter the excesses of effects with an over-the-top-but-completely-in-character turn by one of the best actors of our day. When he is on the screen, it is hard to watch anything else for fear that you might miss something interesting that he has done, is doing, or is about to do - as defining a performance as he has given. Then they surrounded him with other actors capable of holding their own ground (especially Rush) or at least helping the plot along. And, though the script plods a little here and there, someone also decided paying attention to the dialogue and story would be important to keep adults in the seats. The result of all of this "planning" is a movie that is undeniably fun to watch. I saw the film 10 days after it opened, in a packed theater, and the crowd burst into applause at the end of movie and then again when Depp's name appeared on the closing credits. Both were well deserved. Expand
  83. AMovieCritic
    Jul 20, 2003
    Very entertaining.
  84. AngelaM.
    Jul 22, 2003
    This movie was really reall REALLY AWESOME!!!! Johnny Depp, and Orlando Bloom are sooooooo hot in it! I just loved it!
  85. Lassiter
    Aug 2, 2003
    Absolutely delightful. The best ride of the summer. Johnny Depp plays Captain Jack Sparrow with absolute swashbuckling pizzazzzzzz. Kudo's to all for making a great summer flick. Go see and enjoy.
  86. MaryL.
    Aug 3, 2003
    This the first movie I have gone to see 3 times in the first 10 days of release since Star Wars and it got better each time. Depp is phenomenal - pulling off this intoxicated-tripping-freedom loving-swishing-rastamon-pirate role. Rush, Bloom and Knightely were perfectly cast and Verbinski's over the top authenticity swept me away, while the humor and running gags added a dimension This the first movie I have gone to see 3 times in the first 10 days of release since Star Wars and it got better each time. Depp is phenomenal - pulling off this intoxicated-tripping-freedom loving-swishing-rastamon-pirate role. Rush, Bloom and Knightely were perfectly cast and Verbinski's over the top authenticity swept me away, while the humor and running gags added a dimension that made me feel like an intelligent viewer, as apposed to some exploitive action movies lately. Shiver me timbers, Cap'n - Yohoyoho. Expand
  87. KS
    Aug 4, 2003
    This is one of the best movies ive seen in a while. The only thing wrong with the whole movie is that Orlando's acting is a little...... bad. yea bad. But other than hat the cast is great, the consept is great, and its just a great movie. PLUS johnny is super hott and that just makes it all better for the chics that want to see it...
  88. Dr.Ed
    Aug 5, 2003
    What a wonderful surprise. Just tremendous fun. Sort of like Christmas in July. The best summer movie you will see. Enjoy.
  89. LarryT.
    Aug 8, 2003
    The story and plotting are not wonderful; but, the performances, particularly Depp's, make this movie the second best of the summer (after Seabiscuit). It is big, brassy and colorful - kudos to the design and cinematography departments. All the leads (and several of the supporting cast) are wonderful making this a film one can see more than once without any dimunition in enjoyment.
  90. YoHo
    Sep 6, 2003
    Loved this movie...its characters, music, plot, action, symbolism, humor, scenery, light-heartedness...a real classic!
  91. AminaW.
    Jan 3, 2004
    It' s the best movie ever and Johnny Depp is the best (read:hottest)
  92. VivianaG.
    Jan 9, 2004
    I luved this movie,Johnny Depp and Orland bloom hav great scenes together and i coudn't help laughing all the time as Johnny kept wobbiling everywhere!!! the killing seens weren't so bloody which was gud for my friend who of coarse enjoyed it just as much as me i cuz watch it again and again without a bathroom break....10 definitely!!!
  93. JoanR.
    Feb 9, 2004
    Pirates was the most enjoyable movie of the year by my standard. It was funny, it was serious, the characters were original and Johnny Depp's Capt Jack was the hit of the year! Supported by a great cast, I couldn't give this movie any less than a 10. I kept going back time and time again!
  94. TaglienteT.
    Jun 5, 2004
    Perfect raise spirit movie best I have ever seen in a Pirate movie if you call it just a Pirate movie it is really a exploring, action packed, mysterious, jaw droping, need I say more movie!!! Might I add this movie has inspiered me to become a prouducer and can't wait to make my own Movie!! Thank you.
  95. DevonM.
    May 7, 2005
    As a 9 year old, I think this was one of the best movies I've ever seen, except it's kind of dumb when they turn into skeletons.
  96. JonnyBoy
    Jul 10, 2006
    My favorite movie ever made.
  97. GerrickC.
    Jul 8, 2006
    Pirates of the Caribbean is a movie with comedy, plenty of pirate adventure, and even some romance. The stroyline is easy enough to follow and the movie delivers some really spectacular pirate action. If you like pirates, Johnny Depp, or some swashbuckling action you will find Pirates of the Caribbean a wonderful movie.
  98. HeidiW.
    Jul 9, 2006
    I thought that this move was so GREAT!! i think that it was better than the first, except for elizibeth killing Johnny Depp. I thought that it was so funny!
  99. Younglling
    Jan 2, 2007
    This is no doubt the best movie ever!! Johnny Depp is charming, funny and sexy!! You can't get a better actor to play such a cool, smart and funny man such is Jack Sparrow!! If I could, I would rate this movie way past 10, so ending with tht...this is the best movie ever made!!

1. A film that dares to be smart, reasonably complicated and scary while swashing its buckles.
  2. Reviewed by: Ed Park
    Convoluted but diverting.
    Trimming half an hour from this bloated, 143-minute blockbuster would have highlighted the film's treasures, not the least of which is Johnny Depp's endearingly eccentric performance as Captain Jack Sparrow.