8.6

1. GrobMan
    Jun 13, 2004
    Throw all the insults you know into one sentence and you have an apt description of the film. Boring, overly long, totally unbelievable (in the bad sense), unfunny, uninspiring and insulting. The only reason this crap-fest does not get 0 is because Depp works his *** off to try and salvage the sinking ship, but to no avail.
  2. KristinD.
    Jan 19, 2004
    yuck! I expected ten times better than what I saw! I just sat in the theater staring blankly at the screen, asking myself "what am I watching". Come on, Disney, you could of done better than that! Why couldn't you spend your time on something with meaning like FINDING NEMO?
  3. TylerC.
    Nov 27, 2003
    I have finally seen a Johnny Depp movie that I hate. I call this Titanic part 2. This movie masked itself as being an action/horror film and yet the sweethearts fall in love, evil is punished, and everything works out in the end. Just like real life right? I thought this movie was a treasure but it turned out to be fools gold.
  4. EarlD.
    Aug 4, 2003
    I can't believe people like this?
  5. BobS.
    May 4, 2004
    I think this is an terrible film, i think it is too action packed and very predictable. I think Johnny Depp is terrible, i give one point to Geoffrey Rush though, he was good. Otherwise, a big let down.
  6. PaulaW.
    Jul 14, 2003
    To quote Beavis and Butt-head, "This sucketh more than anything has ever sucketh before," or something like that. This movie was a sprawling mess that dragged on for way too long. Johnny Depp's over-the-top swishy performance was interesting to watch for about five minutes, but after that it gave me a headache. A six-year-old could have written better dialogue. I could say more but To quote Beavis and Butt-head, "This sucketh more than anything has ever sucketh before," or something like that. This movie was a sprawling mess that dragged on for way too long. Johnny Depp's over-the-top swishy performance was interesting to watch for about five minutes, but after that it gave me a headache. A six-year-old could have written better dialogue. I could say more but I'd be wasting my time. Don't waste yours by seeing this movie. Expand
  7. RexA.
    Jan 9, 2004
    Formula trash. definitely a chick flick. I've just got to get me some dark eye liner!
  8. DAVE
    Jul 17, 2003
    One point for Johnny Depp, 1 point for Geoffrey Rush, Zero points for the plot, dialogue and cheesy special effects. Total junk.
  9. N.Jordan
    Jan 4, 2004
    I bet 99% of you are girls voting for your beloved "Orli" and Johnny. I can't conceive how this movie could be any good. No plot, lame skeletons, no nothing. I rather put my head in the oven before sitting through this torture ever again. I give it a 1 because Depp was ok, though he seemed high.
  10. Kathrine
    Jun 18, 2007
    I'm a teenage girl, and I know most girls LOVE Pirates Of The Caribbean. Yet, I did not like this movie at all. I thought it was boring, dumb, horrible acting and WAY to long. Yes, that's what I think and I'm a teenage girl. Now, let the gasping begin.
  11. Dox
    May 28, 2007
    Its stupid, its noisy, its messy, its full of terrible acting (except Depp) and silly jokes, its overrated, its catchy, its corny, and its dull; not dull enough to make it the most overhyped movie of all times, but surely dull enough to make it to at least top 10.
  12. ChrisC.
    May 22, 2007
    Awful. Johnny Depp is decent but the story's incredibly boring.
  13. PattyL.
    Jul 8, 2006
    The story sucked. Not nearly as good as the first one. The characters didn't even display the same personality as in the first. Seems as if the writers rushed through writing this one. Hugely disappointing.
  14. CharlesF.
    Jan 31, 2004
    Sorry, Dave but you and your review go to Davey Jones locker. If you didn't enjoy Pirates, then you have no business having fun. Accept it for what it is, a jolly good time in the form of a swash buckling adventure. If you hadn't noticed more than 200 Metacritic posters took the time to review it, and the average score of 9 ranks among the very best ever for films with 200 or Sorry, Dave but you and your review go to Davey Jones locker. If you didn't enjoy Pirates, then you have no business having fun. Accept it for what it is, a jolly good time in the form of a swash buckling adventure. If you hadn't noticed more than 200 Metacritic posters took the time to review it, and the average score of 9 ranks among the very best ever for films with 200 or more votes. I wonder if Metacritic can confirm this fact? For those of you who haven't seen it as yet, don't miss it. You will love Captain Jack Sparrow, aka, Johnny Depp. Expand
  15. natalier.
    Nov 15, 2005
    Cool sweet.
  16. SimG.
    Oct 29, 2005
    Poor film in many aspects, but an amazing performance by Depp, one of the best actors in the modern game.
  17. TimL.
    Jul 9, 2003
    To a large extent, Bruckheimer and his ilk represent everything wrong with Hollywood. Producing overworked, underedited, bloated bits of cinema, their movies drive quality standards down and ticket prices up. "Pirates" is no exception, as the film feels terribly overdone and full of itself. Few characters come alive -- be they skeletons or sentimental sailors -- and the story longs to To a large extent, Bruckheimer and his ilk represent everything wrong with Hollywood. Producing overworked, underedited, bloated bits of cinema, their movies drive quality standards down and ticket prices up. "Pirates" is no exception, as the film feels terribly overdone and full of itself. Few characters come alive -- be they skeletons or sentimental sailors -- and the story longs to land legitimate momentum or force. Sure, there are plenty of summer "popcorn" films; this one, however, will probably leave you burnt. Expand
  18. RajS.
    Jul 9, 2003
    I agree with Tim L. even though he bought the Fantastic Four shirt I wanted!
  19. EricN.
    Jul 10, 2003
    It's Jerry Bruckheimer, what do you expect? Wonderful set design, terrible editing. Being too long and too predictable is a deadly combo. Everyone else in the theater seemed to enjoy the humor--I found it sophomoric. Jonny Depp made it bearable.
  20. T.M.
    Feb 16, 2005
    OK, first let me say this: why is it that when posters on this site like a movie others don't like, they feel it is their right to call the negative reviewers idiots or say they have no taste? Among positive reviews of this movie among viewers, I noticed many, many fans of this movie demonizing those who, like me, did not care for it. I also noticed that a large percentage of the OK, first let me say this: why is it that when posters on this site like a movie others don't like, they feel it is their right to call the negative reviewers idiots or say they have no taste? Among positive reviews of this movie among viewers, I noticed many, many fans of this movie demonizing those who, like me, did not care for it. I also noticed that a large percentage of the fans of this movie seem to be females in love (or lust) with Johnny Depp and/or Orlando Bloom. So much for objectivity. I simply could not get excited about this movie. It was dumb and simplistic. The characters were cardboard, even Johnny Depp's, and the story was barely there. Keira Knightley's character was "spunky" in a cliched way, and of course in the end (just like in every Disney movie featuring a female lead), she ended up choosing to be a man's appendage instead of her own person. I can't believe Depp was nominated for an Oscar. He is very talented, but this role doesn't showcase his talent. There was probably a total of ten minutes' thought on the filmmakers' part in "creating" this character, so I can't imagine what bait they used to attract the normally discerning Depp to this project. That this movie was one of the biggest moneymakers and audience favorites of 2003 says a lot about how dumbed-down our society has become, and unfortunately, the box office of this movie will perpetuate the ridiculous trend of making movies based on theme park rides. When there are thousands of writers out there trying to break into Hollywood with original ideas, what do we have to look forward to? Bilge like the next installment of this franchise: a sequel to a movie made from a video game. Expand
  21. AlanT.
    Jun 14, 2005
    This is one of the worst movies I have ever seen, and one of the few movies i've actually walked out on. Depp's performance is the film's only redeeming quality. I will avoid the sequel like the plague.

1. A film that dares to be smart, reasonably complicated and scary while swashing its buckles.
  2. Reviewed by: Ed Park
    Convoluted but diverting.
    Trimming half an hour from this bloated, 143-minute blockbuster would have highlighted the film's treasures, not the least of which is Johnny Depp's endearingly eccentric performance as Captain Jack Sparrow.