8.6

1. Oct 18, 2014
    For the roguish yet charming Captain Jack Sparrow (Depp), the crystalline waters if the Caribbean present a vast playground where adventure and mystery abound. But Jack's idyllic pirate life capsizes after his nemesis, the wily Captain Barbossa (Rush), steals his ship, the Black Pearl, and kidnaps the Governor's (Pryce) beautiful daughter, Elizabeth Swann (Knightley).
  2. Sep 30, 2014
    pppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp
  3. Sep 26, 2014
    One of the coolest adventure movies of all time, the cast is terrific as well.
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
  4. Aug 24, 2014
    Between land and sea, you'll find this to be more than an exciting adventure. If an action-adventure can provide you with ample thrills and laughter, what more do you need?
  5. Aug 9, 2014
    This first installment is great for a pirate film. Defining performance from Depp and great looks in terms of visuals and effects, it may lack a certain message but it feels right as an enjoyable adventure that gets its audience out of logical reality. Its freshness (even in a pretty crowded genre) deserves praise.
  6. Jun 29, 2014
    Pirates 1 is one of the best action epics. Depp, Rush, Bloom and Knightley are wonderful in the movie. The special effects are first rate due to the high budget of 140 million dollars. The sequels were lousy but the studio wanted to cash in on the success of this movie. Sequels are often made but is difficult for them to be as good or improved. Pirates has something for every film fan, no matter what actors or genres you like. Depp created one of his best characters in Jack Sparrow, Depp was made for the role. Expand
  7. May 24, 2014
    To cut it short, this movie would be a great adventure and pirate movie with every possible quality if it didn't try to cram every single scene with comic relief.

Now I like comic relief and I understand this is a Disney movie, but when Jack Sparrow is having his epic final battle with Barbossa and everything hangs in the balance of that fight, interrupting it several times to see the
    governor batting a skeletal forearm like a wuss and seeing a pirate chase after his glass eye amidst the fighting in a tom-and-jerry kind of comedy is the last thing I want to see.

The overabundance of misplaced comic relief brings a solid 8 or maybe 9/10 to a 6 or 7 at best.
  8. May 20, 2014
    This was the fist movie I went to see in the cinema more than once, as far as I can recall.

The plot is eventful and full of twists. I like detailed movies, and here the camera angles, focus, colors, and little tips given with these underline the intent that is not stated in words, but left for the audience to figure out. Sometimes, we see things coming for a long time, but "The Curse
    of the Black Pearl" manages to surprise nonetheless, time and time again. Witty and sometimes fast-paced, this film is both serious and funny at the same time without ruining one of the two.

Most of the fighting scenes were very entertaining. The characteristics of each person are respectfully regarded, and instead of beating enemies into pulp, there are clever moves that make you sit on the edge of your seat in excitement - while grinning widely, especially if you've seen the film before.

The characters and actors are each their own individuals. The casting is perfect; Johnny Depp as the by-now iconic Captain Jack Sparrow, Orlando Bloom as Will Turner, the hero who has plenty of room to grow and become the man he's meant to be, and Elisabeth Swann (Keira Knightely), who can barely contain herself from becoming who she would really want to be instead of being what she's supposed to be. It's interesting how she's so much more interested in being a pirate than Will is, who has it in his blood (although in the beginning he would have none of that).

Also, it must be said that Geoffrey Rush as Captain Barbossa is born to be a pirate. Convincing and sophisticated while being a total brute... Not many can pull it off.

Many supporting characters just add into the world of the movie, and are very important to it and its spirit. The comic elements draw a lot from these characters, and their chemistry between each other is undeniably funny and thought-provoking.

Little hints to past events are thrown this way and that. Some remain unresolved to the end, and are there to deepen the world of the movie, and to be explored in the following sequels.

All in all, "Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl", is pretty much a perfect movie. The music, the plot, the characters, and the successful balance between action, mystery and comedy create a movie that sets a standard for the pirate movies to come.
  9. May 5, 2014
    A fun tale based off a ride. Johnny Depp owns this role and is debatebly his most known roleof all time. He is so funny and brings such a joy to the film.
  10. Apr 13, 2014
    The first installment of the POTC Movie franchise is a very fun and very enjoyable film to watch. It has a fun and enjoyable cast of characters, a good story and some cool atmospheres. Another thing about this film is that I like all the references this film makes to the Disneyland attraction it was based off making this seem like a good "tribute" film in a way. One thing I will say about this film, however, is the action and fighting scenes is a little repetitive in a way, but over all it was mostly good. POTC: The Curse of the Black Pearl is a very good film that no one should miss out on. I'd recommend it. Expand
  11. Feb 6, 2014
    This is a movie that's got everything from an exceptional story, wonderful music, fantasy, humor & action to great special effects, and the most important thing: the actors are awesome in this movie! This movie got so many unique things that you haven't seen before, & combined with eventful scenes, is this movie awesome.
    The beginning however, could have been more eventful maybe, because
    it felt a little boring, and it took a while for the movie to start. Another bad thing about this movie is that it's a little boring at some places, and that they could have done more spectacular things, but that doesn't matter actually, because this is a stunning & awesome movie with real action that you can watch over and over.

Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl gets a 8/10
  12. Dec 27, 2013
    This may not be the greatest movie ever made but that does not mean it is boring at all. This is a really entertaining movie. The characters are likeable, the action is engaging, and there are some great performances. The film can drag at times and the story does get a tad overly complicated but not too much. Overall I really enjoy this movie. Pirates of the Carribean: The Curse of The Black Pearl is a ton of fun to watch and just makes you want to be a pirate. I’ve seen it several times and I know I’ll probably wind up watching it again in the future. Expand
  13. Dec 23, 2013
    Creepy but not too creepy and it has a perfectly gripping and entertaining story. Depp is great in the lead and the entire cast supports him perfectly. This film is the film that really made pirates interesting again and it is certainly worth a watch.
  14. Dec 9, 2013
    Wonderfully entertaining. The entire concept was portrayed just as you think it would be. Jack Sparrow is one of if not the most amusing character to grace the screen. Excellent!
  15. Nov 29, 2013
    I loved it. It had dark moments, especially for a Disney movie. Plus it had extremely great humor from Johnny Depp, which added to the excitingly fun movie.
  16. Nov 22, 2013
    Really well done blockbuster film. Funny, exciting, and good acting, especially from Johnny Depp make this movie extremely entertaining. While it could have been a lot more "badass", I kinda liked that they strayed from that and instead went more family friendly with it. I think it adds a certain tone which really adds to the movie.
  17. Nov 12, 2013
    Pirates sets sail with a witty plot.
    Pirates of the Caribbean succeeds with great acting from the likes of Johnny Depp who brings his character an irreplaceable flare. The movie never falls flat but never becomes great with an average plot.
  18. Nov 5, 2013
    "Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl" has well exceeded my expectations. It's humorous, action-packed and thrilling. Johnny Depp is fantastic as Jack Sparrow. The problem with it is that sometimes focuses too much on humor and forgets the plot.
  19. Oct 26, 2013
    The film brings and opens an eclectic version of the well known swashbuckler genre; a light-hearted, and amusing version with a hilarious Depp as the sardonic and metaphorical Jack Sparrow, and everyone else seems to be weaved into the plot. Bloom and Knightley make a poignant melodramatic piece to the film. It's authentic as it is ludicrous.
  20. Sep 29, 2013
    I absolutely loved this movie. Anything and everything I ever wanted in a pirate movie, all in one place.

Excellent visuals, fantastic performances and gripping story.

Overall:
    I can not fault this movie for anything. I have watched it countless times and will continue to watch it many times more.
  21. Sep 19, 2013
    The movie itself is very good, but it is the score that brings it to life and steps it up to the next level. Everyone knows the Pirates of the Caribbean theme, and Hans Zimmer is a master at movie scores. With exciting action to witness and a great score to hum along to, you can't go wrong with this movie.
  22. Aug 30, 2013
    Simply one of the best movies ever made!! Very suspenseful!!! Very very very very good!!! A huge well done to Gore Verbinski, his crew and all the actors of that picture.
  23. Aug 15, 2013
    This was an amazing movie. It still remains to be one of the best movies that I have ever seen, even though it has been 10 years since I first saw it. Highly recommended.
  24. Jul 29, 2013
    Excelente trabajo mostrando talento, originalidad y una forma de demostrar que disney puede dar accion buena y no de princesas por un man si no puede sacar y sacarle el jugo a la accion
  25. Jul 14, 2013
    This film is a film that caught everyone off guard- no one expected a Pirate film to be this epic and amazing! The film has a surprisingly well written and witty script, a fantastic and perfect performance by Johnny Depp, awesome action sequences, classic and awesome music (Klaus Badelt and Hans Zimmer do spectacular) and the visuals are epic. This film has classic written all over it and is one of the best adventure films ever made, Disney rarely disappoints lads and lasses. Expand
  26. Jul 11, 2013
    I'm writing this review after watching The Lone Ranger. I think the amount of time and dip in quality in between the first Pirates movie and The Lone Ranger really solidifies my opinion on the general decay of Hollywood. I have a limited amount of hope for Pirates 5.
  27. Jul 7, 2013
    Great action movie. One of the only good series Hollywood has produced in the last 10 years.

I don't know how someone could not like this. Even if its just Triple-A action fluff, its very good at it. This is one of the only "ultimate theatre experiences" along with film franchises like Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Batman (Begins Dark Knight Rises), and Terminator 1 & 2. I'm not sure
    how, with as few good modern movies as there are, anyone could pick and choose which modern epics they enjoy. Expand
  28. Jul 4, 2013
    The first film in the series is unquestionably the best. Jack Sparrow is an excellent character, and really carries the movie. It reminds me of the old Marx Brothers films: if not for Groucho, Chico, and Harpo, they would be bland and nobody would care, but thanks to Jack Sparrow who seems to incorporate the best elements of all three the movie ends up fantastically entertaining. Will Turner may be the protagonist by any helpful analysis of story structure, but Jack is the reason you're watching, and he's well worth it.

The Curse of the Black Pearl has a solid, familiar-yet-surprising story at its heart, that never loses sight of where it's going next. This is part of what makes it good: you can guess roughly where it's going next, and have your expectations confirmed, but there's always some surprise complication waiting for you when you get there, so you're never bored. One of the best Disney movies of the 2000s, and well worth seeing by anyone.
  29. Jun 28, 2013
    A blockbuster in every way, The Curse of the Black Pearl is a perfect start to a massively grossing franchise that is still going, flawed but definitely enjoyable, much more than a film based on a theme park ride should have been.
    Johnny Depp creates a character that will undoubtedly be one of if not the most iconic of all his roles, Captain Jack Sparrow, don't forget the 'Captain' part,
    he won't like that. A man famous for us often personal and more bizarre roles has created one of the most memorable and comic characters we have seen, and to top it all off, he's a pirate.
    Set in the midst of the age of the cutlass-wielding treasure hunters, Jack lands in Port Royal where inadvertently saves the Governors daughter, Elizabeth Swan (Kiera Knightley). He somewhat befriends blacksmith Will Turner (Orlando Bloom) who sets out with him to capture the infamous Black Pearl, a ship run by the dead who have been cursed after stealing the wrong sort of treasure.
    The set-pieces are explosive and the dialogue is a homage to the age the film is set in. There is quite a reliance on humour, which pays off in many aspects throughout the film but at other points can fall short of its target, the two high points of this being Jack Sparrow himself played uniquely by Depp, bringing his very own take and charisma to the character, and Geoffrey Rush who plays the Captain of the Black Pearl, Barbosa, whose confident and grumbled Irish accent and command of the screen, along the unfortunately limited screen time himself and Depp share together, make up very dark and witty humour throughout.
    The heart of the film is lead by Knightley and Bloom who have a blossoming romance on the cards, their scenes can be a little dramatic for the theme of the film, and more time should have been spent getting to know these pirates more, but take the good with the bad I suppose.
    Of course the true brand of the film is that of Jack Sparrow, his mumbling and comedic quips with those surrounding him are electrifying through the talent of Depp, and while the supporting cast are on sound form, he truly steals the show, along with quite the satisfying finale that of course opened all sorts of doors. The film is quite remarkable in the sense of its emergence from nothing, but I suppose if Ron Howard takes inspiration from paintings, a theme park ride is bound to be a creative playground.
  30. Mar 20, 2013
    I like very much how john depp plays the play of the very claver and sometimes stupid pirat who likes very much girls, action and the most of all he loves alchohol an at all he is very funny and he makes movie very funny and it i great comedy. I like very much and of this action,comedy and most at all adveanture movie becose i like very muc how the pirates in the end determined thet this girl elizabeth (keira knightley) is not a girl of a pirat and then comes a jack sparrow and will turner (orlando bloom) and jack sparrow fight with barbossa and at same time when jack sparrow shot barbossa in the hart will turner whes father was a pirat give bood to the coins and barbossa dies. Expand

1. A film that dares to be smart, reasonably complicated and scary while swashing its buckles.
  2. Reviewed by: Ed Park
    Convoluted but diverting.
    Trimming half an hour from this bloated, 143-minute blockbuster would have highlighted the film's treasures, not the least of which is Johnny Depp's endearingly eccentric performance as Captain Jack Sparrow.