Universal Pictures | Release Date: September 28, 2012
7.4
Generally favorable reviews based on 287 Ratings
Watch Now
gizemJan 14, 2018
Cringy and cheap American comedy with the most boring storyline. I don't get the hype around it.
robertoiglesiasJan 3, 2018
Pitch Perfect was funny, awesome, and a film that really made people interested in movies about music. It is really heartwarming and exciting.
TheSodomizerDec 27, 2017
Pitch Perfect is ultimately a predictable teen drama with low to none effort put in it.I would call this movie mediocre at best and definitely overrated since it got as much credit as wonderful musicals like Les Misérables. The whole castPitch Perfect is ultimately a predictable teen drama with low to none effort put in it.I would call this movie mediocre at best and definitely overrated since it got as much credit as wonderful musicals like Les Misérables. The whole cast felt energetic but went on to put on barely watchable performances. A lot of scenes were weird making me physically cringe. One of the very few positive things about Pitch Perfect was Rebel Wilson's somewhat good performance. Getting to the half point of the movie anyone with an IQ in two digits could predict the ending. It was only occasionally funny and brought nothing new to the musical genre. Expand
spongeswiftDec 22, 2017
Pitch Perfect is one of the funniest musical comedies of the decade. Overall it can get a little cheesy overall but at the end of the day it's a really fun film.
eagleeyevikingDec 18, 2017
Laugh out loud funny and populated by a-ca-mazing musical numbers, "Pitch Perfect" conjures an entertaining time at the cinema.
RalfbergsAug 24, 2016
Was not that impressed but I guess just because I am not that interested in musical type movies. I did find Rebel Wilson funny in the movie and Anna Kendrick was good too, even though the whole plot often feels a bit whacky.
Stargirl04May 15, 2016
Really enjoyed this movie. a great feel good film that gets you excited. very predictable but still good. I can't believe it took me so long to watch it. Looking forward to watching the second installment.
EpicLadySpongeApr 29, 2016
The biggest mistake (at least for me it is) that has never been done in movies is letting Rebel Wilson portray a role in the franchise and because of that, the score has been dropped from either an 8 or a 7 to a 5.
gameguardian21Mar 24, 2016
Keep it for those teenage girls. While it is not like twilight, it shows us how girls have really evolved throughout our generation. But even the story is **** and like I said, its a girl movie.
TheQuietGamerJan 23, 2016
A capella breathes some fresh life into some standard teen movie plotting (only this time set in college as opposed to high school) and allows the group competition element to come to life in a new way. The musical numbers are well done andA capella breathes some fresh life into some standard teen movie plotting (only this time set in college as opposed to high school) and allows the group competition element to come to life in a new way. The musical numbers are well done and exciting. All backed by talented performers and excellent choreography.

While that definitely adds the needed spice to keep the familiar plot from getting stale moving forward, what really sets the movie apart from the pack is the humor. These are some very funny ladies. Match that with the sharp writing and you've got some really funny moments to be found throughout.

Likable characters, excellent musical numbers, and hilarious moments make for an enjoyable film even if it doesn't stray too far away form the established mold in the plot department. It's a great comedy and musical, one that is very likely to entertain.

My total score for the movie is an 8.6/10.
BarneyOnMTJan 6, 2016
WHAT I LIKED: Rebel Wilson is hilarious - every amusing comment and remark she makes causes laughs and giggles. It almost feels as if she's taking the mickey out of the film itself! Plus some of the musical arrangements are fairly good.
WHAT
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: Everything else... This has to be one of the most cringey and cliched, plot-less and dull films out there. Even a lack of any serious sub-message or convincing characterisation... really?
VERDICT: With nothing to enjoy unless you're five, 'Pitch Perfect' misses the mark. If it wasn't for the hilarious fat amy - it wouldn't even be funny.
marcmyworksAug 9, 2015
This hilarious college film is in the same vein as Bridesmaids, with its quick wit and slight gross out humour. The cast and writing is delightful, proving a modern all female cast can deliver a solid movie.
shadow_13Jul 20, 2015
It was a great movie i just love it I can't forget all songs and all of the scenes I like it I like it I like it I like it so much ...................
chepod8Jun 23, 2015
Debo confesar que si hubiera llegado al cine no la hubiera visto, pero sin duda es uno de esos casos donde agradeces tener cable y no tener nada que ver, la formula es sencilla pero funcional, y mejor aún te dan ganas de que la vida fuera unDebo confesar que si hubiera llegado al cine no la hubiera visto, pero sin duda es uno de esos casos donde agradeces tener cable y no tener nada que ver, la formula es sencilla pero funcional, y mejor aún te dan ganas de que la vida fuera un musical. Expand
Compi24Jun 6, 2015
Aside from some hit or miss plotting, this musical comedy does just as the subgenre should - it delivers some solid laughs and many fine sequences of sheer musical talent.
sheepfishuni1May 29, 2015
I decided to watch Pitch Perfect, because I wanted to watch new movies before anymore new movies are released. I finished it today, and I loved it! It truly expresses music in general, and how it can express us. The movie is well done, but II decided to watch Pitch Perfect, because I wanted to watch new movies before anymore new movies are released. I finished it today, and I loved it! It truly expresses music in general, and how it can express us. The movie is well done, but I recommend it for anyone the age of 12 and older. :) Expand
JohnKristoferMay 27, 2015
As the sequel is already out .Now it is the time I review the original Pitch Perfect.
The first time I heard Pitch Perfect is going to be released and the plot is all about an A Capella,I was skeptic about it and curious if the movie would work. Surprisingly the movie is good.The characters are funny and has a great chemistry.I was amazed it is good.The sequel is kind a bit the same and disappointing,the first film is the best.
MadMaxFuryRoadMay 23, 2015
Very funny movie is entertaining. The music is great, the acting is awesome, and fat Amy is just hilarious. Most of the jokes actually make sense are funny. I look forward to see Pitch Perfect 2
The_hamurMay 19, 2015
As a musical, it's a good musical. As a 2010's teens generation movie, it's a great movie. As someone who is not a target for the movie, it's an entertaining movie, but you'll only be able to enjoy if Glee is, for you, the best thing on tvAs a musical, it's a good musical. As a 2010's teens generation movie, it's a great movie. As someone who is not a target for the movie, it's an entertaining movie, but you'll only be able to enjoy if Glee is, for you, the best thing on tv since baywatch, i don't know. Expand
SchroederRockMay 14, 2015
Pitch Perfect was a decent comedy that finds a heavy amount of parity with the TV show Glee. I enjoyed the film but left feeling like I never really needed to watch it again (though I may, given that a second movie is releasing soon from thePitch Perfect was a decent comedy that finds a heavy amount of parity with the TV show Glee. I enjoyed the film but left feeling like I never really needed to watch it again (though I may, given that a second movie is releasing soon from the time of me writing this review). Rebel Wilson carries most of the comedy as Fat Amy, but I felt like the writers relied on her character too much for the film to find anything close to greatness with me. Be that as it may, I can still suggest the film for anyone finding interest in the premise of the movie because I've heard several of my friends have greatly enjoyed the movie. Perhaps Pitch Perfect 2 will improve in trouble spots, because there is a really good movie waiting in the wings once the criticisms can be addressed with this first Pitch Perfect movie. Expand
ClariseSamuelsMay 7, 2015
It is always entertaining to see a lot of young people on a stage singing and dancing their hearts out, especially when they are always in synchronization and in perfect harmony—as long as one ignores the odd circumstance where the groupIt is always entertaining to see a lot of young people on a stage singing and dancing their hearts out, especially when they are always in synchronization and in perfect harmony—as long as one ignores the odd circumstance where the group leader vomits on stage because of nerves. This is a film about a cappella singing, which is group or solo singing without any accompaniment. To compensate, the performers can mimic percussion and other instruments with their voices. In other words, they “make music with their mouths.” It is depicted as a subculture on college campuses, with a series of national competitions that result in a grand prize for the ultimate winners.

All actors can sing, dance, and fence, as well as act, and this movie is a good excuse to let them do all those things (minus the fencing). The film is almost a showcase for Anna Kendrick, who plays Beca, a disgruntled undergraduate who would rather be DJ'ing in LA, but who has promised her professorial dad to at least give higher education a chance. She arrives on campus and the very same day is approached by The Bellas, an all-female a cappella group that desperately needs to beef up their membership and to repair their damaged reputation. Although Beca has expressed no interest in singing and performance art, she joins the group and becomes the star performer almost immediately. A petite brunette, she is physically slender and beautiful, as is the red-headed Chloe (Brittany Snow) and blond Aubrey (Anna Camp). Beca's soulful eyes are always professionally made up with black eyeliner that must be waterproof, because her make-up is perfect even when she's in the shower and when she's crying.

In case this kind of blond, brunette, and red-headed perfection is sending the wrong message to anorexic undergraduates, the group (in desperation) accepts Fat Amy (Rebel Wilson) as a new addition. They also welcome an African-American (Ester Dean) to their ensemble. However, these less conventional characters are presented as parodies. Even the one Asian in the group (Hana Mae Lee) has some kind of exaggerated speech defect that renders her almost inaudible when she is speaking; it is not clear how she is able to project her voice as a singer in the group.

It all comes together when the group starts their sassy, sashaying stage numbers, which are all excellent. The producers have forged ahead with Pitch Perfect II, which is opening in another week as of this writing. At this point, the actors who are playing undergraduates are in their late 20's; Kendrick and Snow are 29, and Camp is 32, which is only going to strain credulity even more.
DuffladMay 3, 2015
Despite the movie having funny moments, the plot leaves much to be desired. The love story the film is built around felt really thrown together and I was constantly feeling like I was supposed to care but because it was so poorly written, IDespite the movie having funny moments, the plot leaves much to be desired. The love story the film is built around felt really thrown together and I was constantly feeling like I was supposed to care but because it was so poorly written, I didn't. The film is one of the most predictable cheese fests of all time, and the last act is really bad.
I am generally a fan of musicals, but this one is worth missing despite the high praise it gets from critics and viewers alike. The funny moments aren't worth the IQ lowering remainder of the film. If you're critical about plot, avoid this movie like the plague. It's full of plot holes and lazy writing.
wornoutspinesApr 6, 2015
Surprisingly enough Pitch Perfect is based on a book, shocking I know, and a non-fiction at that - WTF? - I can’t imagine reading a book about collegiate a Cappella groups much less watching a movie about it.

The Pitch Perfect plot has

The Pitch Perfect plot has every single textbook cliché to make the film a lot worse than what it is but they were smart enough to use them well. Although, there’s a boy who meets a girl it’s not all about the romance, there’s a group who is clearly the underdog but it’s not a pity party, and there’s a type of good guys against bad guys situation but it’s downplayed to the point that they are hardly any bad guys in the film. So what’s left? The music, the competition, the camaraderie, and slightly stereotypical but strong women characters. Add in a dash of over the top comedy and it kinda works.

Pitch Perfect does not take itself too seriously, it’s entertaining with good one-liners and some bad ones. It’s weird to say but the movie has personality, those quirky characters are easy to like and even if you know where it is heading - because it’s that predictable - it is still an enjoyable movie. @wornoutspines
heathermFeb 10, 2015
PItch Perfect is hilarious at times, and the music is excellent throughout of course, but it's predictable and relies on some lazy tropes of humour. The girl-gross-out-scene ends up being more gross than funny (unlike the gross-out scene inPItch Perfect is hilarious at times, and the music is excellent throughout of course, but it's predictable and relies on some lazy tropes of humour. The girl-gross-out-scene ends up being more gross than funny (unlike the gross-out scene in Bridesmaids, which PItch Perfect is presumably building on). Anna Kendrick is amazing of course, and very talented, but the other lead voices aren't always full enough to be compelling. Plus every actor and actress in the movie is confusingly and distractingly about ten years older than the plot requires--Anna Kendrick just can't pass as an 18-year-old freshman. Still, the good music and jokes keep it together and make it an entertaining movie, if not a stimulating one. Expand
Meth-dudeJan 24, 2015
Probably one of the most overrated movie I have ever seen.There is not a lot of comedy and that's the only reason I wanted to see the movie.But,it's still entertaining.
DBPirate1129Jan 20, 2015
A surprisingly really funny and engaging flick! I was really not expecting to like the film as much as I did. The actors are great and the comedy moments are hilarious! I would really recommend to anyone who has no idea what the sequel comingA surprisingly really funny and engaging flick! I was really not expecting to like the film as much as I did. The actors are great and the comedy moments are hilarious! I would really recommend to anyone who has no idea what the sequel coming out is about. Expand
CourtneyWoods96Sep 30, 2014
Pitch Perfect definitely accomplishes a comedic feel, while also incorporating a typical romance throughout the movie as a whole. In addition to comedy and romance, Pitch Perfect has a musical feel. I am not particularly interested inPitch Perfect definitely accomplishes a comedic feel, while also incorporating a typical romance throughout the movie as a whole. In addition to comedy and romance, Pitch Perfect has a musical feel. I am not particularly interested in watching musicals, however; once I saw this movie, I was hooked. I kid you not; I have seen this move over fifteen times. Anna Kendrick plays an amazing role and truly captures her audience. She maintains the mysterious feel throughout and never lets the viewer know exactly how she feels. I was extremely impressed by Pitch Perfect and would recommend it to any one of any age. It captivates young viewers as well as old due to its modern feel on musicals and comedic pleasures. If I could put it in simple terms, Pitch Perfect is the definition of why we see movies. It keeps us interested the whole time, provides comedic relief, and engages us with a built in love story. Expand
beingryanjudeSep 1, 2014
Despite a few dozen cheesy moments, it sure was good fun! Another strong performance by Rebel Wilson as well as Anna Kendrick. The musical moments will make you smile!
JacobAug 12, 2014
Generic characters and story but the film has some good humor and amusing side characters (the girls in the Acapella Group), which makes this film worth checking out.
NickOrreyJun 2, 2014
A refreshing and entertaining film in general for the young audience, but lacks in concrete jokes. I underestimated the film in general, and am pleased with what I see. I would recommend this film to people wanting to kill time.