Pitch Perfect

7.4

1. Dec 8, 2012
    First of all, I was really reluctant to watch this movie because I am not a fan of musical films and especially films which seem like they're the sisters to 'Glee' but anyway, I thought I should give it a try. Pitch Perfect is a really great pastime, to be honest. It's funny, surprising and a little adorbale at the same time but this is definitely not one of the best films of 2012. I lovedFirst of all, I was really reluctant to watch this movie because I am not a fan of musical films and especially films which seem like they're the sisters to 'Glee' but anyway, I thought I should give it a try. Pitch Perfect is a really great pastime, to be honest. It's funny, surprising and a little adorbale at the same time but this is definitely not one of the best films of 2012. I loved the performance of Anna Kendrick. Her character is funny, confident and, without a doubt, good at being spontaneous. I read it yesterday that possible sequel might happen next year. Well, here is my advice to the crew. Don't make a sequel, it is going to suck. Learn something frorm Step-Up franchise. Anyway, the best thing about this film is that it ends after 1 hour and 45 minutes, it would have gotten bad otherwise. Expand
  2. Nov 20, 2012
    Funny movie, but about 85% of the laughs come from Rebel Wilson who portrayed Fat Amy. The music is great. And even thought Wilson is hilarious it feels like they rely on her one liners.
  3. Dec 19, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The verdict: Okay. Unfortunately, at it's core the film is a very well-worn path: bunch of semi-losers manage to win. Anna Kendrick is the only one who manages to infuse a character with any sort of personality, but she's too hot to be a genuine outsider, and her lines are way too scripted. She also listens to pure pop music, despite sporting various body piercings and being supposedly "alternative". Like, who at that age doesn't know who David Guetta is? Her character wants to create music, but all she does is cut up pop songs and remix them (which you never actually hear anyway). At college age if she isn't either DJing up a storm or at least writing her own material, then it makes her look like a naive kid. The rest of the cast are cardboard. Rebel Wilson is funny-ish, but not in any way that another actor couldn't have done. Some funny lines, some snappy dialogue, and overall very staged scenes. Almost every scene actually feels scripted, rather than organic. The "awkward" scenes are highly unbelievable. This caused me to get taken out of the film's narrative. The Glee-style music is also way too good, especially for people who are mixing in high-energy dance moves. In the space of about 10 minutes the Barden Bellas go from getting kicked out of a fraternity show because they suck to managing "pitch perfect" impro songs in a disused swimming pool. It's like no one ever thought of singing anything other than 80s songs. That kind of simple naivety unfortunately makes the film feel a bit immature, like a Glee version of Step Up. Overall it's a pretty good attempt at a lite chick-flick, but I wish it had been directed and handled better. It's let down by the cookie-cutter nature of the plot, heavily scripted moment, and no heart. Expand
  4. May 27, 2015
    As the sequel is already out .Now it is the time I review the original Pitch Perfect.
    The first time I heard Pitch Perfect is going to be released and the plot is all about an A Capella,I was skeptic about it and curious if the movie would work. Surprisingly the movie is good.The characters are funny and has a great chemistry.I was amazed it is good.The sequel is kind a bit the same and disappointing,the first film is the best.
  5. May 23, 2015
    Very funny movie is entertaining. The music is great, the acting is awesome, and fat Amy is just hilarious. Most of the jokes actually make sense are funny. I look forward to see Pitch Perfect 2
  6. Sep 30, 2012
    So funny. Rebel Wilson will become famous because of this film. Highly recommended. My wife dragged me to this one, but I am glad that I went. 10/10
  7. Dec 7, 2012
    Perfect Pitch is not a great movie .. but it is entertaining.
  8. Oct 7, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Pitch Perfect is about a young girl named Beca (Anna Kendrick) who is attending college for the first time. Her dad, who is a teacher at the University, is up her ass the whole time about making new friends, and trying new things Expand
  9. Nov 4, 2012
    You know whats crazy? This PG-13 comedy is funnier than both "The Dictator" and "21 Jump Street", which are both R rated. Thats how funny this film is. Combine that with some extremely high energy and you have a pitch perfect movie.
  10. Nov 4, 2012
    It's charming and fun. What's not to like? Anna Kendricks is wonderful in this movie. Sit back, relax, listen to some great young voices, eat popcorn and chocolate covered raisins and smile.
  11. Sep 29, 2012
    A hilarious movie with lots of laugh out loud moments! Gets a little cliche at times, but Rebel Wilson always comes back to save the movie with punchy one-liners!
  12. Sep 28, 2012
    Pitch Perfect, a perfect movie :D really, is funny have somethings that look like the TV Show "Glee", but this movie have other things that look like "Bridesmaids". Funny movie, great performances, awesome development. Pitch Perfect is great!!
  13. Oct 17, 2012
    I'm a 19 year old guy and i loved this movie, enough said. Anybody can enjoy this movie. It's flat-out hilarious! Great cast, great music, great story, and a great time, 4 things you'll experience when watching Pitch Perfect. This is a must see! 8/10
  14. Dec 22, 2012
    Pitch Perfect is an extremely joyful and funny film full of wit and great dialogue. The jokes spew forth (quite literally on two occasions) at the rate of knots and all performances rise to the occasion wonderfully. Comparisons with Glee are inevitable, but singularly favourable to this achievement (No sequel please). Glee became joyless for me quite quickly (aside from some wonderfullyPitch Perfect is an extremely joyful and funny film full of wit and great dialogue. The jokes spew forth (quite literally on two occasions) at the rate of knots and all performances rise to the occasion wonderfully. Comparisons with Glee are inevitable, but singularly favourable to this achievement (No sequel please). Glee became joyless for me quite quickly (aside from some wonderfully staged musical numbers) and it was also very po faced about issues and story lines (I use this term very loosely as I don't think it really had any ongoing story. It just kept telling us how socially (Ir)relevant it was). Pitch Perfect has no such heavy issues on its mind. It's fun all the way to the closing credits. The choice of music is great and these numbers are energetically staged. Another delight is the banter between Capella hosts John and Gail played with acerbic relish by John Michael Higgins and Elizabeth Banks, respectively. In summation, echoing a sentiment vocalised by actress Rebel Wilson to a couple of skinnier cast members, this film, like them, has a fat heart. Expand
  15. Dec 5, 2012
    I'm like , additction to this movie. Anna Kendrick and Rebel Wilson get together. F*cking Awsome ! I think this is one of best movie so far. It makes me smile and in love with characters . Love this !
  16. Jan 23, 2016
    A capella breathes some fresh life into some standard teen movie plotting (only this time set in college as opposed to high school) and allows the group competition element to come to life in a new way. The musical numbers are well done and exciting. All backed by talented performers and excellent choreography.

While that definitely adds the needed spice to keep the familiar plot from

While that definitely adds the needed spice to keep the familiar plot from getting stale moving forward, what really sets the movie apart from the pack is the humor. These are some very funny ladies. Match that with the sharp writing and you've got some really funny moments to be found throughout.

Likable characters, excellent musical numbers, and hilarious moments make for an enjoyable film even if it doesn't stray too far away form the established mold in the plot department. It's a great comedy and musical, one that is very likely to entertain.

My total score for the movie is an 8.6/10.
  17. May 3, 2015
    Despite the movie having funny moments, the plot leaves much to be desired. The love story the film is built around felt really thrown together and I was constantly feeling like I was supposed to care but because it was so poorly written, I didn't. The film is one of the most predictable cheese fests of all time, and the last act is really bad.
    I am generally a fan of musicals, but this
    I am generally a fan of musicals, but this one is worth missing despite the high praise it gets from critics and viewers alike. The funny moments aren't worth the IQ lowering remainder of the film. If you're critical about plot, avoid this movie like the plague. It's full of plot holes and lazy writing.
  18. Jun 23, 2015
    Debo confesar que si hubiera llegado al cine no la hubiera visto, pero sin duda es uno de esos casos donde agradeces tener cable y no tener nada que ver, la formula es sencilla pero funcional, y mejor aún te dan ganas de que la vida fuera un musical.
  19. Apr 4, 2014
    i saw this film too many times . the comedy is well and some of it was just gross and replusive . Grade B- ................................................................
  20. Jan 6, 2016
    WHAT I LIKED: Rebel Wilson is hilarious - every amusing comment and remark she makes causes laughs and giggles. It almost feels as if she's taking the mickey out of the film itself! Plus some of the musical arrangements are fairly good.
    WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: Everything else... This has to be one of the most cringey and cliched, plot-less and dull films out there. Even a lack of any serious sub-message or convincing characterisation... really?
    VERDICT: With nothing to enjoy unless you're five, 'Pitch Perfect' misses the mark. If it wasn't for the hilarious fat amy - it wouldn't even be funny.
  21. Sep 29, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It's light fun - the target audience for the film, who were sitting all around us, were having a GREAT time with it. The singing is terrific, but the finale song/dance sequence just didn't deliver for me like it could have because they had to shoehorn the Breakfast Club aspect into it. Anna Kendrick, Snow, and Camp are all getting a bit long in the tooth to be believable in these roles, btw. Skylar Astin seems like a candidate for the unlikely anti-hero in future films. Rebel Wilson is perfect in the film because she doesn't over-act at all. She has terrific control of her craft. Expand
  22. Aug 12, 2014
    Generic characters and story but the film has some good humor and amusing side characters (the girls in the Acapella Group), which makes this film worth checking out.
  23. Dec 30, 2012
    It was not pitched perfectly for me, but I guess I was never the intended target audience. My young daughter found it delightful though and I guess I can't argue that the acapella parts were somewhat enjoyable...
  24. May 14, 2015
    Pitch Perfect was a decent comedy that finds a heavy amount of parity with the TV show Glee. I enjoyed the film but left feeling like I never really needed to watch it again (though I may, given that a second movie is releasing soon from the time of me writing this review). Rebel Wilson carries most of the comedy as Fat Amy, but I felt like the writers relied on her character too muchPitch Perfect was a decent comedy that finds a heavy amount of parity with the TV show Glee. I enjoyed the film but left feeling like I never really needed to watch it again (though I may, given that a second movie is releasing soon from the time of me writing this review). Rebel Wilson carries most of the comedy as Fat Amy, but I felt like the writers relied on her character too much for the film to find anything close to greatness with me. Be that as it may, I can still suggest the film for anyone finding interest in the premise of the movie because I've heard several of my friends have greatly enjoyed the movie. Perhaps Pitch Perfect 2 will improve in trouble spots, because there is a really good movie waiting in the wings once the criticisms can be addressed with this first Pitch Perfect movie. Expand
  25. Feb 5, 2013
    I was all pumped up to watch this movie. And it was such a let down for me, it wasn't as funny as i thought is was going to be. it could have been a hell of a lot funnier than what it came out to be. Rebel and the Asian girl were the highlights of this movie
  26. Mar 3, 2013
    Ok. Obviously a "woman's film" but not too bad. Not as predictable as you'd imagine and plenty of gags, with a likeable cast and decent glee-style moments.
  27. May 7, 2015
    It is always entertaining to see a lot of young people on a stage singing and dancing their hearts out, especially when they are always in synchronization and in perfect harmony—as long as one ignores the odd circumstance where the group leader vomits on stage because of nerves. This is a film about a cappella singing, which is group or solo singing without any accompaniment. ToIt is always entertaining to see a lot of young people on a stage singing and dancing their hearts out, especially when they are always in synchronization and in perfect harmony—as long as one ignores the odd circumstance where the group leader vomits on stage because of nerves. This is a film about a cappella singing, which is group or solo singing without any accompaniment. To compensate, the performers can mimic percussion and other instruments with their voices. In other words, they “make music with their mouths.” It is depicted as a subculture on college campuses, with a series of national competitions that result in a grand prize for the ultimate winners.

All actors can sing, dance, and fence, as well as act, and this movie is a good excuse to let them do all those things (minus the fencing). The film is almost a showcase for Anna Kendrick, who plays Beca, a disgruntled undergraduate who would rather be DJ'ing in LA, but who has promised her professorial dad to at least give higher education a chance. She arrives on campus and the very same day is approached by The Bellas, an all-female a cappella group that desperately needs to beef up their membership and to repair their damaged reputation. Although Beca has expressed no interest in singing and performance art, she joins the group and becomes the star performer almost immediately. A petite brunette, she is physically slender and beautiful, as is the red-headed Chloe (Brittany Snow) and blond Aubrey (Anna Camp). Beca's soulful eyes are always professionally made up with black eyeliner that must be waterproof, because her make-up is perfect even when she's in the shower and when she's crying.

In case this kind of blond, brunette, and red-headed perfection is sending the wrong message to anorexic undergraduates, the group (in desperation) accepts Fat Amy (Rebel Wilson) as a new addition. They also welcome an African-American (Ester Dean) to their ensemble. However, these less conventional characters are presented as parodies. Even the one Asian in the group (Hana Mae Lee) has some kind of exaggerated speech defect that renders her almost inaudible when she is speaking; it is not clear how she is able to project her voice as a singer in the group.

It all comes together when the group starts their sassy, sashaying stage numbers, which are all excellent. The producers have forged ahead with Pitch Perfect II, which is opening in another week as of this writing. At this point, the actors who are playing undergraduates are in their late 20's; Kendrick and Snow are 29, and Camp is 32, which is only going to strain credulity even more.
  28. Jan 6, 2013
    I shouldn't like this film, but I did!!! Great soundtrack first of all, and the cast took what is a typical 'go for the top, competition' type of movie and ran away with it. Funny, filled with lots of gags and charming characters, one of the better comedies of this year.
  29. Dec 27, 2012
    Pitch Perfect was genuinely funny and didn't take itself too seriously. The musical arrangements were actually pretty decent though and the comedic elements were not traditional at all making them even more humorous. The only things that hold hack the film, in my opinion, are the generic plot and Anna Kendrick's lack of any charisma whatsoever. The plot is the exact same as almost everyPitch Perfect was genuinely funny and didn't take itself too seriously. The musical arrangements were actually pretty decent though and the comedic elements were not traditional at all making them even more humorous. The only things that hold hack the film, in my opinion, are the generic plot and Anna Kendrick's lack of any charisma whatsoever. The plot is the exact same as almost every single other music, dance, etc. movie made in the last decade: Protagonist joins team/club/group that is struggling, they go through bumps along the way, protagonist either quits or comes close to quitting, protagonist gives it one last go and helps the team/club/group achieve their ultimate goal all while experiencing relationship issues throughout. As for Anna Kendrick, I think this movie showed that, while she's talented, she's not capable of being the focus of any movie. Characters like Fat Amy distract the audience from Kendrick's utter lack of charisma or charm. Honestly, her character is one of the least interesting characters in the entire film. Regardless, this movie is still worth watching because of the humor alone and the musical arrangements are a nice bonus. Expand
  30. Dec 23, 2012
    This film is hilarious I have to agree with EFYevan, Rebel Wilson is great and stills the show and we will be seeing a lot more of her in the future also some great tunes,but most of all very funny the whole cinema was laughing all the way through the film well worth a watch.

1. Reviewed by: Henry Barnes
    Dec 21, 2012
    The soundtrack's ironic bent might dissuade older viewers (Simple Minds are venerated), but they'd be missing out on one of the best musical comedies since A Mighty Wind. The song's the same, but Pitch Perfect is a great cover version.
  2. Reviewed by: Olly Richards
    Dec 17, 2012
    It's the kind of silly you can only get away with when your writing is very smart. A little bit odd and very, very funny.
  3. Reviewed by: Ken McIntyre
    Nov 25, 2012
    Gleeks and Glee-haters alike should rally around this raucous musical comedy. Rebel Wilson is hilarious, Anna Kendrick is terrific and there are as many gross-out gags as there are singing numbers.