7.5

1. Jul 12, 2013
    Although this film at its core is just another teen flick (ala Bring It On in particular), it does offer some freshness especially with its soundtrack. I do have a bit of a bias in that I have a great love for all things A Cappella. It just is so nice to have a film filled with so many A Cappella tracks, not only that, A Cappella tracks that don't sound like they've been heavily edited.Although this film at its core is just another teen flick (ala Bring It On in particular), it does offer some freshness especially with its soundtrack. I do have a bit of a bias in that I have a great love for all things A Cappella. It just is so nice to have a film filled with so many A Cappella tracks, not only that, A Cappella tracks that don't sound like they've been heavily edited. I've seen Skylar Austin live before when he was in Spring Awakening on Broadway and I was so happy that they had him as the lead in this film considering his background and such. Anna Kendrick also was a nice casting choice. Her role in Twilight was probably the best part about the film as her comedic timing is impeccable. I guess the only critique that I have is that at times the movie seems a tad shallow but overall it's a nice blend. It's not a masterpiece by any means, but it's a least a great film to just pass the time. Expand
  2. Feb 15, 2013
    One word: Hilarious. Even though I'm not really a fan of musicals, through out the whole movie laughing was my best friend. It had a fun and funny story plot. From the jokes, to the singing performances, it was all pretty well done. Great actors to portray those awesome characters. A very fun film!
  3. Jul 28, 2013
    Pitch Perfect is a killer comedy film. It's filled to the brim with funny moments and these are supported by it's all around great cast. It's funny and has great music the only flaw of this film is the fact that it does fall into some of the romantic type comedy stereotypes, but that aside Pitch Perfect is an excellent film.
  4. Nov 15, 2013
    Quite funny with good music and then, on top of that, I absolutely love Anna Kendrick, so it'd make sense that I like this movie. It's not fantastic by any stretch of the imagination, but overall, it's pretty good.
  5. Oct 14, 2012
    "Nothing makes a girl feel more like a woman than a man who sings like a boy." I was really excited about this movie. I figure it would be a lame comedy that I would love, just another one of those bad movies that you watch and really enjoy but know are bad. I was really wrong: this ended up being a really amazing movie that I absolutely loved, and despite the fact that it was a cheesy"Nothing makes a girl feel more like a woman than a man who sings like a boy." I was really excited about this movie. I figure it would be a lame comedy that I would love, just another one of those bad movies that you watch and really enjoy but know are bad. I was really wrong: this ended up being a really amazing movie that I absolutely loved, and despite the fact that it was a cheesy comedy it was also legitimately good. I laughed so hard during Pitch Perfect, despite the film's inclusion of period moments of bodily fluid humour. I'm not sure if I've said it before, but I'll say it now: I hate humour that involves some sort of human waste or bodily fluid.

Pitch Perfect follows Beca (Kendrick), an anti-social music lover who dreams of being a music producer but is being forced by her father to attend Barden College, where he works. While at first she fulfils the anti-social requirements eventually she is pushed into joining the Barden Bellas, one of the campus' four acapella singing groups - other groups include the Bellas' primary rival, the all male Treble Makers, lead by Bumper (DeVine). The Bellas are lead by seniors Aubrey (Camp), who believes that the group can win it all using traditional methods, and Chloe (Snow), who's more inclined to make some changes. Rounding out things is Treble Maker and fellow freshman Jesse (Astin), who very quickly takes an interest in Beca.

The thing I liked most about Pitch Perfect was that this movie knew exactly what it was and just went with it. It was a lame comedy and never once tried to be anything other than that. There were a few more dramatic moments - notably when it came to Beca's relationship with her father - but for the most part it was one liner after one liner. Rebel Wilson and Elizabeth Banks in particular were awesome, with just about everything that the two of them said being a joke. What I really liked about the humour, though, was that there were a lot of moments where the joke completely took me by surprise and left me thinking "wait, what'd they just say?" then laughing once it sunk in - and I wasn't the only person in the theatre reacting like that. The other thing that worked about it was the fact that even in the more dramatic moments, or even just the singing, they did a lot of cutaways to other jokes. Elizabeth Banks' character, very minor role, is one of the commentators of the competitions and one of my favourite moments is a cutaway to her and the other commentator rocking out to the song. It was just perfect.

One thing that has the potential to take away from the overall film is the fact that a lot of the characters fill a stereotype of some sort. I found that it worked and I didn't personally need more development on any of the characters, but I'm sure that others might have a problem with this. Jason Moore took some stereotypical people and had fun with them, and I applaud it.

6. Feb 10, 2013
    A huge hit! Pitch Perfect is so much fun. It's not the most hilarious comedy I've ever seen recently, but there are some funny moments throughout. Add to that some great musical mash-ups and some solid performances, you get a good movie. Check it out! There's a lot to love here.
  7. Apr 24, 2013
    While I started to go off shows like Glee, this film was nothing but some outstanding performances from the leads and some great songs to get your toes tapping. Not only that but theres a decent storyline in there too so I quite enjoyed it. Anna Kendrick is good but clearly Rebel Wilson stole the show as Fat Amy Fans of the Glee craze will obviously be at home but I think it has theWhile I started to go off shows like Glee, this film was nothing but some outstanding performances from the leads and some great songs to get your toes tapping. Not only that but theres a decent storyline in there too so I quite enjoyed it. Anna Kendrick is good but clearly Rebel Wilson stole the show as Fat Amy Fans of the Glee craze will obviously be at home but I think it has the appeal for others also, and as a whole it's a thoroughly entertaining film I would recommend Expand
  8. Jan 20, 2013
    It's a rocking musical entertainer with a heartwarming display of music which won't fail the audience. It was funny as well as romantic musically. I just loved it.
  9. Feb 2, 2013
    This movie is about an cappella group of women coming together for a common goal. Cappella singing is seen as a men's thing because they are able to hit lower notes. I can not even count how many times I have seen this movie. This movie is extremely funny and relates to not only females but also males. The music is popular music from the 80s, 90s and 2000s. This is a must see movie!
  10. Feb 3, 2013
    Something about Pitch Perfect just makes you want to keep coming back to watch it multiple times. Many people seem hesitant to watch a movie based strictly on a cappella groups, myself included. I was pleasantly surprised with the story line and characters that were cast. Rebel Wilson makes the film with her witty one-liners and sarcastic personality.
  11. Mar 2, 2013
    Corny and bland characterization, but it does do what it does best, and that is to entertain. It is pretty sad though when most of the laughs only comes from one character, Fat Amy.
  12. Mar 12, 2013
    Who knew an acapella movie could be this much fun? Anna Kendrick is her same charming self and the supporting cast helps make this a surprisingly fun ride.
  13. Sep 2, 2013
    A hilarious group of actors who make a nearly flawless comedy-musical. Rebel Wilson could not have been better to play her role as 'Fat Amy.' Anna Kendrick also did well as a lead role.
  14. Apr 6, 2013
    The bests things are the music, Rebel Wilson and Anna Kendrick. The worst are the drama scenes (so predictable and overacted) Totally recommended for have a nice time !!!
    Note: I can't stop singing all the songs, are all addictive.
  15. Jul 18, 2013
    'Pitch Perfect' suffers from a string of movie cliches, and cheesiness at times, but all of them are made up for by its consistent hilarity, catchy songs and great performances.
  16. Jun 2, 2013
    Overall, I thought Pitch Perfect was a fantastic movie! It definitely has a cheesy plot line, but highly entertaining. I was really impressed with the vocals throughout the entire movie. Rebel Wilson's charter, Fat Amy, was hilarious and added great humor to the film. Anna Kendrick did an amazing job as well. I highly recommend this movie if you are in the mood for a funny, light-hearted,Overall, I thought Pitch Perfect was a fantastic movie! It definitely has a cheesy plot line, but highly entertaining. I was really impressed with the vocals throughout the entire movie. Rebel Wilson's charter, Fat Amy, was hilarious and added great humor to the film. Anna Kendrick did an amazing job as well. I highly recommend this movie if you are in the mood for a funny, light-hearted, romantic chick flick! Expand
  17. Jun 19, 2013
    I liked this film. It was different and i really liked the songs. I don't usually like films like these but this one was entertaining and smart. Of course the ending is predictable but who cares? It's a film to watch if you want to spend a happy afternoon. Really liked Fat Amy
  18. Nov 23, 2013
    Pitch Perfect is Uproarious Fun! Rebel Wilson is Very Funny in this movie! All the cast is Lovable, Pitch Perfect is pretty entertaining for everyone!
  19. Aug 14, 2013
    "Pitch Perfect" definitely has the musical numbers and the outstanding jokes, however, it definitely has a predictable outcome and story wise, its a bit of a mess with character development. While the side characters are definitely a hoot, the main character Becca feels awfully cliche. Though this may be the case, the film does thrive from its several other aspects and is enjoyable for"Pitch Perfect" definitely has the musical numbers and the outstanding jokes, however, it definitely has a predictable outcome and story wise, its a bit of a mess with character development. While the side characters are definitely a hoot, the main character Becca feels awfully cliche. Though this may be the case, the film does thrive from its several other aspects and is enjoyable for teens, lesser for adults. Expand
  20. Dec 1, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Really good movie. I thought it was quite funny. The acoustic songs blending is interesting to hear. Rebel Wilson (fat amy) was the best character because she just kept you interested. The announcers are funny too Expand
  21. Jan 24, 2015
    Probably one of the most overrated movie I have ever seen.There is not a lot of comedy and that's the only reason I wanted to see the movie.But,it's still entertaining.
  22. May 4, 2014
    This movie isn't actually "pitch-perfect" (no pun intended), but the comedic talents from cast members like Anna Kendrick and Rebel Wilson help this film hit the right note
  23. Jun 2, 2014
    A refreshing and entertaining film in general for the young audience, but lacks in concrete jokes. I underestimated the film in general, and am pleased with what I see. I would recommend this film to people wanting to kill time.
  24. Sep 30, 2014
    Pitch Perfect definitely accomplishes a comedic feel, while also incorporating a typical romance throughout the movie as a whole. In addition to comedy and romance, Pitch Perfect has a musical feel. I am not particularly interested in watching musicals, however; once I saw this movie, I was hooked. I kid you not; I have seen this move over fifteen times. Anna Kendrick plays an amazing rolePitch Perfect definitely accomplishes a comedic feel, while also incorporating a typical romance throughout the movie as a whole. In addition to comedy and romance, Pitch Perfect has a musical feel. I am not particularly interested in watching musicals, however; once I saw this movie, I was hooked. I kid you not; I have seen this move over fifteen times. Anna Kendrick plays an amazing role and truly captures her audience. She maintains the mysterious feel throughout and never lets the viewer know exactly how she feels. I was extremely impressed by Pitch Perfect and would recommend it to any one of any age. It captivates young viewers as well as old due to its modern feel on musicals and comedic pleasures. If I could put it in simple terms, Pitch Perfect is the definition of why we see movies. It keeps us interested the whole time, provides comedic relief, and engages us with a built in love story. Expand
  25. Feb 10, 2015
    PItch Perfect is hilarious at times, and the music is excellent throughout of course, but it's predictable and relies on some lazy tropes of humour. The girl-gross-out-scene ends up being more gross than funny (unlike the gross-out scene in Bridesmaids, which PItch Perfect is presumably building on). Anna Kendrick is amazing of course, and very talented, but the other lead voices aren'tPItch Perfect is hilarious at times, and the music is excellent throughout of course, but it's predictable and relies on some lazy tropes of humour. The girl-gross-out-scene ends up being more gross than funny (unlike the gross-out scene in Bridesmaids, which PItch Perfect is presumably building on). Anna Kendrick is amazing of course, and very talented, but the other lead voices aren't always full enough to be compelling. Plus every actor and actress in the movie is confusingly and distractingly about ten years older than the plot requires--Anna Kendrick just can't pass as an 18-year-old freshman. Still, the good music and jokes keep it together and make it an entertaining movie, if not a stimulating one. Expand
  26. Jan 20, 2015
    A surprisingly really funny and engaging flick! I was really not expecting to like the film as much as I did. The actors are great and the comedy moments are hilarious! I would really recommend to anyone who has no idea what the sequel coming out is about.
  27. Apr 6, 2015
    Surprisingly enough Pitch Perfect is based on a book, shocking I know, and a non-fiction at that - WTF? - I can’t imagine reading a book about collegiate a Cappella groups much less watching a movie about it.

The Pitch Perfect plot has every single textbook cliché to make the film a lot worse than what it is but they were smart enough to use them well. Although, there’s a boy who meets a girl it’s not all about the romance, there’s a group who is clearly the underdog but it’s not a pity party, and there’s a type of good guys against bad guys situation but it’s downplayed to the point that they are hardly any bad guys in the film. So what’s left? The music, the competition, the camaraderie, and slightly stereotypical but strong women characters. Add in a dash of over the top comedy and it kinda works.

Pitch Perfect does not take itself too seriously, it’s entertaining with good one-liners and some bad ones. It’s weird to say but the movie has personality, those quirky characters are easy to like and even if you know where it is heading - because it’s that predictable - it is still an enjoyable movie. @wornoutspines
  28. May 19, 2015
    As a musical, it's a good musical. As a 2010's teens generation movie, it's a great movie. As someone who is not a target for the movie, it's an entertaining movie, but you'll only be able to enjoy if Glee is, for you, the best thing on tv since baywatch, i don't know.
  29. May 23, 2015
    Very funny movie is entertaining. The music is great, the acting is awesome, and fat Amy is just hilarious. Most of the jokes actually make sense are funny. I look forward to see Pitch Perfect 2

1. Reviewed by: Henry Barnes
    Dec 21, 2012
    The soundtrack's ironic bent might dissuade older viewers (Simple Minds are venerated), but they'd be missing out on one of the best musical comedies since A Mighty Wind. The song's the same, but Pitch Perfect is a great cover version.
  2. Reviewed by: Olly Richards
    Dec 17, 2012
    It's the kind of silly you can only get away with when your writing is very smart. A little bit odd and very, very funny.
  3. Reviewed by: Ken McIntyre
    Nov 25, 2012
    Gleeks and Glee-haters alike should rally around this raucous musical comedy. Rebel Wilson is hilarious, Anna Kendrick is terrific and there are as many gross-out gags as there are singing numbers.