7.8

1. Dec 19, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The verdict: Okay. Unfortunately, at it's core the film is a very well-worn path: bunch of semi-losers manage to win. Anna Kendrick is the only one who manages to infuse a character with any sort of personality, but she's too hot to be a genuine outsider, and her lines are way too scripted. She also listens to pure pop music, despite sporting various body piercings and being supposedly "alternative". Like, who at that age doesn't know who David Guetta is? Her character wants to create music, but all she does is cut up pop songs and remix them (which you never actually hear anyway). At college age if she isn't either DJing up a storm or at least writing her own material, then it makes her look like a naive kid. The rest of the cast are cardboard. Rebel Wilson is funny-ish, but not in any way that another actor couldn't have done. Some funny lines, some snappy dialogue, and overall very staged scenes. Almost every scene actually feels scripted, rather than organic. The "awkward" scenes are highly unbelievable. This caused me to get taken out of the film's narrative. The Glee-style music is also way too good, especially for people who are mixing in high-energy dance moves. In the space of about 10 minutes the Barden Bellas go from getting kicked out of a fraternity show because they suck to managing "pitch perfect" impro songs in a disused swimming pool. It's like no one ever thought of singing anything other than 80s songs. That kind of simple naivety unfortunately makes the film feel a bit immature, like a Glee version of Step Up. Overall it's a pretty good attempt at a lite chick-flick, but I wish it had been directed and handled better. It's let down by the cookie-cutter nature of the plot, heavily scripted moment, and no heart. Expand
  2. Dec 8, 2012
    First of all, I was really reluctant to watch this movie because I am not a fan of musical films and especially films which seem like they're the sisters to 'Glee' but anyway, I thought I should give it a try. Pitch Perfect is a really great pastime, to be honest. It's funny, surprising and a little adorbale at the same time but this is definitely not one of the best films of 2012. I loved the performance of Anna Kendrick. Her character is funny, confident and, without a doubt, good at being spontaneous. I read it yesterday that possible sequel might happen next year. Well, here is my advice to the crew. Don't make a sequel, it is going to suck. Learn something frorm Step-Up franchise. Anyway, the best thing about this film is that it ends after 1 hour and 45 minutes, it would have gotten bad otherwise. Expand
  3. Dec 7, 2012
    Perfect Pitch is not a great movie .. but it is entertaining.
  4. Dec 5, 2012
    I'm like , additction to this movie. Anna Kendrick and Rebel Wilson get together. F*cking Awsome ! I think this is one of best movie so far. It makes me smile and in love with characters . Love this !
  5. Nov 20, 2012
    Funny movie, but about 85% of the laughs come from Rebel Wilson who portrayed Fat Amy. The music is great. And even thought Wilson is hilarious it feels like they rely on her one liners.
  6. Nov 5, 2012
    It's one of the most entertaining movies you will see in 2012. Anna Kendrick and Rebel Wilson are absolutely wonderful in this. The songs are great, the musical numbers are a joy to watch; it's heartfelt, hilarious, full of memorable characters and works as a great college film. To simply put, Pitch Perfect is why we go to the movies
  7. Nov 4, 2012
    It's charming and fun. What's not to like? Anna Kendricks is wonderful in this movie. Sit back, relax, listen to some great young voices, eat popcorn and chocolate covered raisins and smile.
  8. Nov 4, 2012
    You know whats crazy? This PG-13 comedy is funnier than both "The Dictator" and "21 Jump Street", which are both R rated. Thats how funny this film is. Combine that with some extremely high energy and you have a pitch perfect movie.
  9. Oct 17, 2012
    I'm a 19 year old guy and i loved this movie, enough said. Anybody can enjoy this movie. It's flat-out hilarious! Great cast, great music, great story, and a great time, 4 things you'll experience when watching Pitch Perfect. This is a must see! 8/10
  10. Oct 14, 2012
    "Nothing makes a girl feel more like a woman than a man who sings like a boy." I was really excited about this movie. I figure it would be a lame comedy that I would love, just another one of those bad movies that you watch and really enjoy but know are bad. I was really wrong: this ended up being a really amazing movie that I absolutely loved, and despite the fact that it was a cheesy comedy it was also legitimately good. I laughed so hard during Pitch Perfect, despite the film's inclusion of period moments of bodily fluid humour. I'm not sure if I've said it before, but I'll say it now: I hate humour that involves some sort of human waste or bodily fluid.

Pitch Perfect follows Beca (Kendrick), an anti-social music lover who dreams of being a music producer but is being forced by her father to attend Barden College, where he works. While at first she fulfils the anti-social requirements eventually she is pushed into joining the Barden Bellas, one of the campus' four acapella singing groups - other groups include the Bellas' primary rival, the all male Treble Makers, lead by Bumper (DeVine). The Bellas are lead by seniors Aubrey (Camp), who believes that the group can win it all using traditional methods, and Chloe (Snow), who's more inclined to make some changes. Rounding out things is Treble Maker and fellow freshman Jesse (Astin), who very quickly takes an interest in Beca.

The thing I liked most about Pitch Perfect was that this movie knew exactly what it was and just went with it. It was a lame comedy and never once tried to be anything other than that. There were a few more dramatic moments - notably when it came to Beca's relationship with her father - but for the most part it was one liner after one liner. Rebel Wilson and Elizabeth Banks in particular were awesome, with just about everything that the two of them said being a joke. What I really liked about the humour, though, was that there were a lot of moments where the joke completely took me by surprise and left me thinking "wait, what'd they just say?" then laughing once it sunk in - and I wasn't the only person in the theatre reacting like that. The other thing that worked about it was the fact that even in the more dramatic moments, or even just the singing, they did a lot of cutaways to other jokes. Elizabeth Banks' character, very minor role, is one of the commentators of the competitions and one of my favourite moments is a cutaway to her and the other commentator rocking out to the song. It was just perfect.

One thing that has the potential to take away from the overall film is the fact that a lot of the characters fill a stereotype of some sort. I found that it worked and I didn't personally need more development on any of the characters, but I'm sure that others might have a problem with this. Jason Moore took some stereotypical people and had fun with them, and I applaud it.

11. Oct 7, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Pitch Perfect is about a young girl named Beca (Anna Kendrick) who is attending college for the first time. Her dad, who is a teacher at the University, is up her ass the whole time about making new friends, and trying new things Expand
  12. Sep 30, 2012
    So funny. Rebel Wilson will become famous because of this film. Highly recommended. My wife dragged me to this one, but I am glad that I went. 10/10
  13. Sep 29, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It's light fun - the target audience for the film, who were sitting all around us, were having a GREAT time with it. The singing is terrific, but the finale song/dance sequence just didn't deliver for me like it could have because they had to shoehorn the Breakfast Club aspect into it. Anna Kendrick, Snow, and Camp are all getting a bit long in the tooth to be believable in these roles, btw. Skylar Astin seems like a candidate for the unlikely anti-hero in future films. Rebel Wilson is perfect in the film because she doesn't over-act at all. She has terrific control of her craft. Expand
  14. Sep 29, 2012
    A hilarious movie with lots of laugh out loud moments! Gets a little cliche at times, but Rebel Wilson always comes back to save the movie with punchy one-liners!
  15. Sep 28, 2012
    Pitch Perfect, a perfect movie :D really, is funny have somethings that look like the TV Show "Glee", but this movie have other things that look like "Bridesmaids". Funny movie, great performances, awesome development. Pitch Perfect is great!!

1. Reviewed by: Henry Barnes
    Dec 21, 2012
    The soundtrack's ironic bent might dissuade older viewers (Simple Minds are venerated), but they'd be missing out on one of the best musical comedies since A Mighty Wind. The song's the same, but Pitch Perfect is a great cover version.
  2. Reviewed by: Olly Richards
    Dec 17, 2012
    It's the kind of silly you can only get away with when your writing is very smart. A little bit odd and very, very funny.
  3. Reviewed by: Ken McIntyre
    Nov 25, 2012
    Gleeks and Glee-haters alike should rally around this raucous musical comedy. Rebel Wilson is hilarious, Anna Kendrick is terrific and there are as many gross-out gags as there are singing numbers.