Universal Pictures | Release Date: September 28, 2012
7.4
Generally favorable reviews based on 273 Ratings
WATCH NOW
theahsanhaseebDec 8, 2012
First of all, I was really reluctant to watch this movie because I am not a fan of musical films and especially films which seem like they're the sisters to 'Glee' but anyway, I thought I should give it a try. Pitch Perfect is a really greatFirst of all, I was really reluctant to watch this movie because I am not a fan of musical films and especially films which seem like they're the sisters to 'Glee' but anyway, I thought I should give it a try. Pitch Perfect is a really great pastime, to be honest. It's funny, surprising and a little adorbale at the same time but this is definitely not one of the best films of 2012. I loved the performance of Anna Kendrick. Her character is funny, confident and, without a doubt, good at being spontaneous. I read it yesterday that possible sequel might happen next year. Well, here is my advice to the crew. Don't make a sequel, it is going to suck. Learn something frorm Step-Up franchise. Anyway, the best thing about this film is that it ends after 1 hour and 45 minutes, it would have gotten bad otherwise. Expand
joef123Nov 20, 2012
Funny movie, but about 85% of the laughs come from Rebel Wilson who portrayed Fat Amy. The music is great. And even thought Wilson is hilarious it feels like they rely on her one liners.
evanrmDec 19, 2012
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The verdict: Okay. Unfortunately, at it's core the film is a very well-worn path: bunch of semi-losers manage to win. Anna Kendrick is the only one who manages to infuse a character with any sort of personality, but she's too hot to be a genuine outsider, and her lines are way too scripted. She also listens to pure pop music, despite sporting various body piercings and being supposedly "alternative". Like, who at that age doesn't know who David Guetta is? Her character wants to create music, but all she does is cut up pop songs and remix them (which you never actually hear anyway). At college age if she isn't either DJing up a storm or at least writing her own material, then it makes her look like a naive kid. The rest of the cast are cardboard. Rebel Wilson is funny-ish, but not in any way that another actor couldn't have done. Some funny lines, some snappy dialogue, and overall very staged scenes. Almost every scene actually feels scripted, rather than organic. The "awkward" scenes are highly unbelievable. This caused me to get taken out of the film's narrative. The Glee-style music is also way too good, especially for people who are mixing in high-energy dance moves. In the space of about 10 minutes the Barden Bellas go from getting kicked out of a fraternity show because they suck to managing "pitch perfect" impro songs in a disused swimming pool. It's like no one ever thought of singing anything other than 80s songs. That kind of simple naivety unfortunately makes the film feel a bit immature, like a Glee version of Step Up. Overall it's a pretty good attempt at a lite chick-flick, but I wish it had been directed and handled better. It's let down by the cookie-cutter nature of the plot, heavily scripted moment, and no heart. Expand
RikiegeDec 7, 2012
Perfect Pitch is not a great movie .. but it is entertaining.
Tbrown15Oct 7, 2012
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Pitch Perfect is about a young girl named Beca (Anna Kendrick) who is attending college for the first time. Her dad, who is a teacher at the University, is up her ass the whole time about making new friends, and trying new things Expand
lukechristianscApr 4, 2014
i saw this film too many times . the comedy is well and some of it was just gross and replusive . Grade B- ................................................................
MarcDoyleSep 29, 2012
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It's light fun - the target audience for the film, who were sitting all around us, were having a GREAT time with it. The singing is terrific, but the finale song/dance sequence just didn't deliver for me like it could have because they had to shoehorn the Breakfast Club aspect into it. Anna Kendrick, Snow, and Camp are all getting a bit long in the tooth to be believable in these roles, btw. Skylar Astin seems like a candidate for the unlikely anti-hero in future films. Rebel Wilson is perfect in the film because she doesn't over-act at all. She has terrific control of her craft. Expand
JacobAug 12, 2014
Generic characters and story but the film has some good humor and amusing side characters (the girls in the Acapella Group), which makes this film worth checking out.
nutterjrDec 30, 2012
It was not pitched perfectly for me, but I guess I was never the intended target audience. My young daughter found it delightful though and I guess I can't argue that the acapella parts were somewhat enjoyable...
SchroederRockMay 14, 2015
Pitch Perfect was a decent comedy that finds a heavy amount of parity with the TV show Glee. I enjoyed the film but left feeling like I never really needed to watch it again (though I may, given that a second movie is releasing soon from thePitch Perfect was a decent comedy that finds a heavy amount of parity with the TV show Glee. I enjoyed the film but left feeling like I never really needed to watch it again (though I may, given that a second movie is releasing soon from the time of me writing this review). Rebel Wilson carries most of the comedy as Fat Amy, but I felt like the writers relied on her character too much for the film to find anything close to greatness with me. Be that as it may, I can still suggest the film for anyone finding interest in the premise of the movie because I've heard several of my friends have greatly enjoyed the movie. Perhaps Pitch Perfect 2 will improve in trouble spots, because there is a really good movie waiting in the wings once the criticisms can be addressed with this first Pitch Perfect movie. Expand
BlacStephFeb 5, 2013
I was all pumped up to watch this movie. And it was such a let down for me, it wasn't as funny as i thought is was going to be. it could have been a hell of a lot funnier than what it came out to be. Rebel and the Asian girl were theI was all pumped up to watch this movie. And it was such a let down for me, it wasn't as funny as i thought is was going to be. it could have been a hell of a lot funnier than what it came out to be. Rebel and the Asian girl were the highlights of this movie Expand
ClariseSamuelsMay 7, 2015
It is always entertaining to see a lot of young people on a stage singing and dancing their hearts out, especially when they are always in synchronization and in perfect harmony—as long as one ignores the odd circumstance where the groupIt is always entertaining to see a lot of young people on a stage singing and dancing their hearts out, especially when they are always in synchronization and in perfect harmony—as long as one ignores the odd circumstance where the group leader vomits on stage because of nerves. This is a film about a cappella singing, which is group or solo singing without any accompaniment. To compensate, the performers can mimic percussion and other instruments with their voices. In other words, they “make music with their mouths.” It is depicted as a subculture on college campuses, with a series of national competitions that result in a grand prize for the ultimate winners.

All actors can sing, dance, and fence, as well as act, and this movie is a good excuse to let them do all those things (minus the fencing). The film is almost a showcase for Anna Kendrick, who plays Beca, a disgruntled undergraduate who would rather be DJ'ing in LA, but who has promised her professorial dad to at least give higher education a chance. She arrives on campus and the very same day is approached by The Bellas, an all-female a cappella group that desperately needs to beef up their membership and to repair their damaged reputation. Although Beca has expressed no interest in singing and performance art, she joins the group and becomes the star performer almost immediately. A petite brunette, she is physically slender and beautiful, as is the red-headed Chloe (Brittany Snow) and blond Aubrey (Anna Camp). Beca's soulful eyes are always professionally made up with black eyeliner that must be waterproof, because her make-up is perfect even when she's in the shower and when she's crying.

In case this kind of blond, brunette, and red-headed perfection is sending the wrong message to anorexic undergraduates, the group (in desperation) accepts Fat Amy (Rebel Wilson) as a new addition. They also welcome an African-American (Ester Dean) to their ensemble. However, these less conventional characters are presented as parodies. Even the one Asian in the group (Hana Mae Lee) has some kind of exaggerated speech defect that renders her almost inaudible when she is speaking; it is not clear how she is able to project her voice as a singer in the group.

It all comes together when the group starts their sassy, sashaying stage numbers, which are all excellent. The producers have forged ahead with Pitch Perfect II, which is opening in another week as of this writing. At this point, the actors who are playing undergraduates are in their late 20's; Kendrick and Snow are 29, and Camp is 32, which is only going to strain credulity even more.
beingryanjudeSep 1, 2014
Despite a few dozen cheesy moments, it sure was good fun! Another strong performance by Rebel Wilson as well as Anna Kendrick. The musical moments will make you smile!
worleyjamersFeb 10, 2013
A huge hit! Pitch Perfect is so much fun. It's not the most hilarious comedy I've ever seen recently, but there are some funny moments throughout. Add to that some great musical mash-ups and some solid performances, you get a good movie.A huge hit! Pitch Perfect is so much fun. It's not the most hilarious comedy I've ever seen recently, but there are some funny moments throughout. Add to that some great musical mash-ups and some solid performances, you get a good movie. Check it out! There's a lot to love here. Expand
DeusExMachina7Mar 2, 2013
Corny and bland characterization, but it does do what it does best, and that is to entertain. It is pretty sad though when most of the laughs only comes from one character, Fat Amy.
jeff_reviewsAug 14, 2013
"Pitch Perfect" definitely has the musical numbers and the outstanding jokes, however, it definitely has a predictable outcome and story wise, its a bit of a mess with character development. While the side characters are definitely a hoot,"Pitch Perfect" definitely has the musical numbers and the outstanding jokes, however, it definitely has a predictable outcome and story wise, its a bit of a mess with character development. While the side characters are definitely a hoot, the main character Becca feels awfully cliche. Though this may be the case, the film does thrive from its several other aspects and is enjoyable for teens, lesser for adults. Expand
Meth-dudeJan 24, 2015
Probably one of the most overrated movie I have ever seen.There is not a lot of comedy and that's the only reason I wanted to see the movie.But,it's still entertaining.
heathermFeb 10, 2015
PItch Perfect is hilarious at times, and the music is excellent throughout of course, but it's predictable and relies on some lazy tropes of humour. The girl-gross-out-scene ends up being more gross than funny (unlike the gross-out scene inPItch Perfect is hilarious at times, and the music is excellent throughout of course, but it's predictable and relies on some lazy tropes of humour. The girl-gross-out-scene ends up being more gross than funny (unlike the gross-out scene in Bridesmaids, which PItch Perfect is presumably building on). Anna Kendrick is amazing of course, and very talented, but the other lead voices aren't always full enough to be compelling. Plus every actor and actress in the movie is confusingly and distractingly about ten years older than the plot requires--Anna Kendrick just can't pass as an 18-year-old freshman. Still, the good music and jokes keep it together and make it an entertaining movie, if not a stimulating one. Expand
wornoutspinesApr 6, 2015
Surprisingly enough Pitch Perfect is based on a book, shocking I know, and a non-fiction at that - WTF? - I can’t imagine reading a book about collegiate a Cappella groups much less watching a movie about it.

The Pitch Perfect plot has

The Pitch Perfect plot has every single textbook cliché to make the film a lot worse than what it is but they were smart enough to use them well. Although, there’s a boy who meets a girl it’s not all about the romance, there’s a group who is clearly the underdog but it’s not a pity party, and there’s a type of good guys against bad guys situation but it’s downplayed to the point that they are hardly any bad guys in the film. So what’s left? The music, the competition, the camaraderie, and slightly stereotypical but strong women characters. Add in a dash of over the top comedy and it kinda works.

Pitch Perfect does not take itself too seriously, it’s entertaining with good one-liners and some bad ones. It’s weird to say but the movie has personality, those quirky characters are easy to like and even if you know where it is heading - because it’s that predictable - it is still an enjoyable movie. @wornoutspines
The_hamurMay 19, 2015
As a musical, it's a good musical. As a 2010's teens generation movie, it's a great movie. As someone who is not a target for the movie, it's an entertaining movie, but you'll only be able to enjoy if Glee is, for you, the best thing on tvAs a musical, it's a good musical. As a 2010's teens generation movie, it's a great movie. As someone who is not a target for the movie, it's an entertaining movie, but you'll only be able to enjoy if Glee is, for you, the best thing on tv since baywatch, i don't know. Expand
RalfbergsAug 24, 2016
Was not that impressed but I guess just because I am not that interested in musical type movies. I did find Rebel Wilson funny in the movie and Anna Kendrick was good too, even though the whole plot often feels a bit whacky.
EpicLadySpongeApr 29, 2016
The biggest mistake (at least for me it is) that has never been done in movies is letting Rebel Wilson portray a role in the franchise and because of that, the score has been dropped from either an 8 or a 7 to a 5.
gameguardian21Mar 24, 2016
Keep it for those teenage girls. While it is not like twilight, it shows us how girls have really evolved throughout our generation. But even the story is **** and like I said, its a girl movie.