7.5

1. Dec 8, 2012
    First of all, I was really reluctant to watch this movie because I am not a fan of musical films and especially films which seem like they're the sisters to 'Glee' but anyway, I thought I should give it a try. Pitch Perfect is a really great pastime, to be honest. It's funny, surprising and a little adorbale at the same time but this is definitely not one of the best films of 2012. I lovedFirst of all, I was really reluctant to watch this movie because I am not a fan of musical films and especially films which seem like they're the sisters to 'Glee' but anyway, I thought I should give it a try. Pitch Perfect is a really great pastime, to be honest. It's funny, surprising and a little adorbale at the same time but this is definitely not one of the best films of 2012. I loved the performance of Anna Kendrick. Her character is funny, confident and, without a doubt, good at being spontaneous. I read it yesterday that possible sequel might happen next year. Well, here is my advice to the crew. Don't make a sequel, it is going to suck. Learn something frorm Step-Up franchise. Anyway, the best thing about this film is that it ends after 1 hour and 45 minutes, it would have gotten bad otherwise. Expand
  2. Nov 20, 2012
    Funny movie, but about 85% of the laughs come from Rebel Wilson who portrayed Fat Amy. The music is great. And even thought Wilson is hilarious it feels like they rely on her one liners.
  3. Dec 19, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The verdict: Okay. Unfortunately, at it's core the film is a very well-worn path: bunch of semi-losers manage to win. Anna Kendrick is the only one who manages to infuse a character with any sort of personality, but she's too hot to be a genuine outsider, and her lines are way too scripted. She also listens to pure pop music, despite sporting various body piercings and being supposedly "alternative". Like, who at that age doesn't know who David Guetta is? Her character wants to create music, but all she does is cut up pop songs and remix them (which you never actually hear anyway). At college age if she isn't either DJing up a storm or at least writing her own material, then it makes her look like a naive kid. The rest of the cast are cardboard. Rebel Wilson is funny-ish, but not in any way that another actor couldn't have done. Some funny lines, some snappy dialogue, and overall very staged scenes. Almost every scene actually feels scripted, rather than organic. The "awkward" scenes are highly unbelievable. This caused me to get taken out of the film's narrative. The Glee-style music is also way too good, especially for people who are mixing in high-energy dance moves. In the space of about 10 minutes the Barden Bellas go from getting kicked out of a fraternity show because they suck to managing "pitch perfect" impro songs in a disused swimming pool. It's like no one ever thought of singing anything other than 80s songs. That kind of simple naivety unfortunately makes the film feel a bit immature, like a Glee version of Step Up. Overall it's a pretty good attempt at a lite chick-flick, but I wish it had been directed and handled better. It's let down by the cookie-cutter nature of the plot, heavily scripted moment, and no heart. Expand
  4. Sep 30, 2012
    So funny. Rebel Wilson will become famous because of this film. Highly recommended. My wife dragged me to this one, but I am glad that I went. 10/10
  5. Dec 7, 2012
    Perfect Pitch is not a great movie .. but it is entertaining.
  6. Oct 7, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Pitch Perfect is about a young girl named Beca (Anna Kendrick) who is attending college for the first time. Her dad, who is a teacher at the University, is up her ass the whole time about making new friends, and trying new things Expand
  7. Nov 4, 2012
    You know whats crazy? This PG-13 comedy is funnier than both "The Dictator" and "21 Jump Street", which are both R rated. Thats how funny this film is. Combine that with some extremely high energy and you have a pitch perfect movie.
  8. Nov 4, 2012
    It's charming and fun. What's not to like? Anna Kendricks is wonderful in this movie. Sit back, relax, listen to some great young voices, eat popcorn and chocolate covered raisins and smile.
  9. Sep 29, 2012
    A hilarious movie with lots of laugh out loud moments! Gets a little cliche at times, but Rebel Wilson always comes back to save the movie with punchy one-liners!
  10. Sep 28, 2012
    Pitch Perfect, a perfect movie :D really, is funny have somethings that look like the TV Show "Glee", but this movie have other things that look like "Bridesmaids". Funny movie, great performances, awesome development. Pitch Perfect is great!!
  11. Dec 5, 2012
    I'm like , additction to this movie. Anna Kendrick and Rebel Wilson get together. F*cking Awsome ! I think this is one of best movie so far. It makes me smile and in love with characters . Love this !
  12. Oct 17, 2012
    I'm a 19 year old guy and i loved this movie, enough said. Anybody can enjoy this movie. It's flat-out hilarious! Great cast, great music, great story, and a great time, 4 things you'll experience when watching Pitch Perfect. This is a must see! 8/10
  13. May 3, 2015
    Despite the movie having funny moments, the plot leaves much to be desired. The love story the film is built around felt really thrown together and I was constantly feeling like I was supposed to care but because it was so poorly written, I didn't. The film is one of the most predictable cheese fests of all time, and the last act is really bad.
    I am generally a fan of musicals, but this
    I am generally a fan of musicals, but this one is worth missing despite the high praise it gets from critics and viewers alike. The funny moments aren't worth the IQ lowering remainder of the film. If you're critical about plot, avoid this movie like the plague. It's full of plot holes and lazy writing.
  14. Dec 22, 2012
    Pitch Perfect is an extremely joyful and funny film full of wit and great dialogue. The jokes spew forth (quite literally on two occasions) at the rate of knots and all performances rise to the occasion wonderfully. Comparisons with Glee are inevitable, but singularly favourable to this achievement (No sequel please). Glee became joyless for me quite quickly (aside from some wonderfullyPitch Perfect is an extremely joyful and funny film full of wit and great dialogue. The jokes spew forth (quite literally on two occasions) at the rate of knots and all performances rise to the occasion wonderfully. Comparisons with Glee are inevitable, but singularly favourable to this achievement (No sequel please). Glee became joyless for me quite quickly (aside from some wonderfully staged musical numbers) and it was also very po faced about issues and story lines (I use this term very loosely as I don't think it really had any ongoing story. It just kept telling us how socially (Ir)relevant it was). Pitch Perfect has no such heavy issues on its mind. It's fun all the way to the closing credits. The choice of music is great and these numbers are energetically staged. Another delight is the banter between Capella hosts John and Gail played with acerbic relish by John Michael Higgins and Elizabeth Banks, respectively. In summation, echoing a sentiment vocalised by actress Rebel Wilson to a couple of skinnier cast members, this film, like them, has a fat heart. Expand
  15. Apr 4, 2014
    i saw this film too many times . the comedy is well and some of it was just gross and replusive . Grade B- ................................................................
  16. Sep 29, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It's light fun - the target audience for the film, who were sitting all around us, were having a GREAT time with it. The singing is terrific, but the finale song/dance sequence just didn't deliver for me like it could have because they had to shoehorn the Breakfast Club aspect into it. Anna Kendrick, Snow, and Camp are all getting a bit long in the tooth to be believable in these roles, btw. Skylar Astin seems like a candidate for the unlikely anti-hero in future films. Rebel Wilson is perfect in the film because she doesn't over-act at all. She has terrific control of her craft. Expand
  17. Aug 12, 2014
    Generic characters and story but the film has some good humor and amusing side characters (the girls in the Acapella Group), which makes this film worth checking out.
  18. Dec 30, 2012
    It was not pitched perfectly for me, but I guess I was never the intended target audience. My young daughter found it delightful though and I guess I can't argue that the acapella parts were somewhat enjoyable...
  19. May 14, 2015
    Pitch Perfect was a decent comedy that finds a heavy amount of parity with the TV show Glee. I enjoyed the film but left feeling like I never really needed to watch it again (though I may, given that a second movie is releasing soon from the time of me writing this review). Rebel Wilson carries most of the comedy as Fat Amy, but I felt like the writers relied on her character too muchPitch Perfect was a decent comedy that finds a heavy amount of parity with the TV show Glee. I enjoyed the film but left feeling like I never really needed to watch it again (though I may, given that a second movie is releasing soon from the time of me writing this review). Rebel Wilson carries most of the comedy as Fat Amy, but I felt like the writers relied on her character too much for the film to find anything close to greatness with me. Be that as it may, I can still suggest the film for anyone finding interest in the premise of the movie because I've heard several of my friends have greatly enjoyed the movie. Perhaps Pitch Perfect 2 will improve in trouble spots, because there is a really good movie waiting in the wings once the criticisms can be addressed with this first Pitch Perfect movie. Expand
  20. Feb 5, 2013
    I was all pumped up to watch this movie. And it was such a let down for me, it wasn't as funny as i thought is was going to be. it could have been a hell of a lot funnier than what it came out to be. Rebel and the Asian girl were the highlights of this movie
  21. Mar 3, 2013
    Ok. Obviously a "woman's film" but not too bad. Not as predictable as you'd imagine and plenty of gags, with a likeable cast and decent glee-style moments.
  22. May 7, 2015
    It is always entertaining to see a lot of young people on a stage singing and dancing their hearts out, especially when they are always in synchronization and in perfect harmony—as long as one ignores the odd circumstance where the group leader vomits on stage because of nerves. This is a film about a cappella singing, which is group or solo singing without any accompaniment. ToIt is always entertaining to see a lot of young people on a stage singing and dancing their hearts out, especially when they are always in synchronization and in perfect harmony—as long as one ignores the odd circumstance where the group leader vomits on stage because of nerves. This is a film about a cappella singing, which is group or solo singing without any accompaniment. To compensate, the performers can mimic percussion and other instruments with their voices. In other words, they “make music with their mouths.” It is depicted as a subculture on college campuses, with a series of national competitions that result in a grand prize for the ultimate winners.

All actors can sing, dance, and fence, as well as act, and this movie is a good excuse to let them do all those things (minus the fencing). The film is almost a showcase for Anna Kendrick, who plays Beca, a disgruntled undergraduate who would rather be DJ'ing in LA, but who has promised her professorial dad to at least give higher education a chance. She arrives on campus and the very same day is approached by The Bellas, an all-female a cappella group that desperately needs to beef up their membership and to repair their damaged reputation. Although Beca has expressed no interest in singing and performance art, she joins the group and becomes the star performer almost immediately. A petite brunette, she is physically slender and beautiful, as is the red-headed Chloe (Brittany Snow) and blond Aubrey (Anna Camp). Beca's soulful eyes are always professionally made up with black eyeliner that must be waterproof, because her make-up is perfect even when she's in the shower and when she's crying.

In case this kind of blond, brunette, and red-headed perfection is sending the wrong message to anorexic undergraduates, the group (in desperation) accepts Fat Amy (Rebel Wilson) as a new addition. They also welcome an African-American (Ester Dean) to their ensemble. However, these less conventional characters are presented as parodies. Even the one Asian in the group (Hana Mae Lee) has some kind of exaggerated speech defect that renders her almost inaudible when she is speaking; it is not clear how she is able to project her voice as a singer in the group.

It all comes together when the group starts their sassy, sashaying stage numbers, which are all excellent. The producers have forged ahead with Pitch Perfect II, which is opening in another week as of this writing. At this point, the actors who are playing undergraduates are in their late 20's; Kendrick and Snow are 29, and Camp is 32, which is only going to strain credulity even more.
  23. Jan 6, 2013
    I shouldn't like this film, but I did!!! Great soundtrack first of all, and the cast took what is a typical 'go for the top, competition' type of movie and ran away with it. Funny, filled with lots of gags and charming characters, one of the better comedies of this year.
  24. Dec 27, 2012
    Pitch Perfect was genuinely funny and didn't take itself too seriously. The musical arrangements were actually pretty decent though and the comedic elements were not traditional at all making them even more humorous. The only things that hold hack the film, in my opinion, are the generic plot and Anna Kendrick's lack of any charisma whatsoever. The plot is the exact same as almost everyPitch Perfect was genuinely funny and didn't take itself too seriously. The musical arrangements were actually pretty decent though and the comedic elements were not traditional at all making them even more humorous. The only things that hold hack the film, in my opinion, are the generic plot and Anna Kendrick's lack of any charisma whatsoever. The plot is the exact same as almost every single other music, dance, etc. movie made in the last decade: Protagonist joins team/club/group that is struggling, they go through bumps along the way, protagonist either quits or comes close to quitting, protagonist gives it one last go and helps the team/club/group achieve their ultimate goal all while experiencing relationship issues throughout. As for Anna Kendrick, I think this movie showed that, while she's talented, she's not capable of being the focus of any movie. Characters like Fat Amy distract the audience from Kendrick's utter lack of charisma or charm. Honestly, her character is one of the least interesting characters in the entire film. Regardless, this movie is still worth watching because of the humor alone and the musical arrangements are a nice bonus. Expand
  25. Dec 23, 2012
    This film is hilarious I have to agree with EFYevan, Rebel Wilson is great and stills the show and we will be seeing a lot more of her in the future also some great tunes,but most of all very funny the whole cinema was laughing all the way through the film well worth a watch.
  26. Sep 1, 2014
    Despite a few dozen cheesy moments, it sure was good fun! Another strong performance by Rebel Wilson as well as Anna Kendrick. The musical moments will make you smile!
  27. Feb 16, 2013
    While “Pitch Perfect” isn’t perfect, its pitch is just right. All bad puns aside, this is a enjoyable film. It starts off a bit disjointed and weird for the sack of being weird. However, when the film gets rolling, it becomes a ride of non stop laughter. The direction is solid, but the choreography is extravagant and well done. Songs are well integrated into the story, but I just wish theyWhile “Pitch Perfect” isn’t perfect, its pitch is just right. All bad puns aside, this is a enjoyable film. It starts off a bit disjointed and weird for the sack of being weird. However, when the film gets rolling, it becomes a ride of non stop laughter. The direction is solid, but the choreography is extravagant and well done. Songs are well integrated into the story, but I just wish they had used less tired songs. The writing is solid, but if not for the characters the jokes wouldn’t be as funny as they are.

Speaking of characters, this film has a cast of some colorful characters. Some of the characters aren’t very likable at first, but 5-10mins with them you’ll fall in love. They’re funny and warming especially Fat Amy and a few of the side characters. The physical comedy they provide is top notch and they’re always doing something in the background. One character I wasn’t particularly fond of was Beca, Anna Kendrick. She was the typical too cool for school kid and a very unlikable one at that. However, through my struggle to liking her, I found a mutual ground towards the end.

Overall, “Pitch Perfect” is a good movie and very entertaining. The jokes are solid, but the delivery is what truly makes it worth while and hilarious. The music and soundtrack is great and I’m a sucker for any movie that uses “Party in the U.S.A.” There is a lot of fun to be had with this film, from its characters to its physical humor. Definitely the best musical I’ve seen all year and in a while. I give it a solid 4/5, doesn’t quit hit those high notes, but still manages to be fully entertaining and a fun watch. “Muy Caliente”
  28. Nov 5, 2012
    It's one of the most entertaining movies you will see in 2012. Anna Kendrick and Rebel Wilson are absolutely wonderful in this. The songs are great, the musical numbers are a joy to watch; it's heartfelt, hilarious, full of memorable characters and works as a great college film. To simply put, Pitch Perfect is why we go to the movies
  29. Apr 20, 2013
    Pitch Perfect is a very enjoyable film with a great premise, good acting and great acapella remakes of songs we know and love. However the film is stopped from reaching the greatness it deserves due to some pretty bad and damn near unforgivable mistakes that near enough every film addresses but Pitch Perfect does not.
    Pitch Perfect follows the story of Beca, a wannabe DJ freshman at
    Pitch Perfect follows the story of Beca, a wannabe DJ freshman at Barden University. When her singing talent is spotted by one of the girls from a singing group on campus she is invited to join them to attempt to win the National Finals at the end of the current year. Now Pitch Perfect has a good story, though it has been done many times before it hasn't been done as well as this in a while but it falls flat in major areas. Biggest area of problem is the character development or lack thereof. Hell I even had to look up the Wikipedia page to remember Beca's name because characterisation became a back-seat, plus the directors knew they hadn't characterised by suddenly introducing everyone properly 10 minutes before the end of the film! The film also had a bad sense of time, it would jump months at a time with no indication that time had passed, the only time it tells you is when it reaches a significant competition date.
    My biggest complaint with the movie though was the utterly pointless idea of "the best part of a film is the ending" that was introduced by the love interest when watching The Breakfast Club. This whole theme that is very well fleshed out and referenced a lot leads you on to believe that the ending will surprise you and be different to anything...ever. However what it boils down to is the same 'everything is OK in the end' scenario where the guy gets the girl, the protagonists win the battle and that life will go on. Now yes its a feel good film but if you make such a big deal out of good and different endings that are unpredictable why make your ending so predictable that you could guess what happens without watching the film???
    Regardless of the bad points Pitch Perfect is well acted, funny and a great film for a night in with friends that are both boys and girls (there is more than enough to satisfy the dudes in this one as well as the women) one worth a watch even with its stupid decisions.
  30. Jan 12, 2013
    It's a pretty standard formula film but the performances of Kendrick, Snow and Camp are exellent and Elizabeth Banks and John Michael Higgins provide some great sarcastic humor in cameo parts. Not oscar material or nothing you would put on your all-time favorite movie list, but nice porpcorn entertainment.

1. Reviewed by: Henry Barnes
    Dec 21, 2012
    The soundtrack's ironic bent might dissuade older viewers (Simple Minds are venerated), but they'd be missing out on one of the best musical comedies since A Mighty Wind. The song's the same, but Pitch Perfect is a great cover version.
  2. Reviewed by: Olly Richards
    Dec 17, 2012
    It's the kind of silly you can only get away with when your writing is very smart. A little bit odd and very, very funny.
  3. Reviewed by: Ken McIntyre
    Nov 25, 2012
    Gleeks and Glee-haters alike should rally around this raucous musical comedy. Rebel Wilson is hilarious, Anna Kendrick is terrific and there are as many gross-out gags as there are singing numbers.