Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures | Release Date: August 9, 2013
Generally unfavorable reviews based on 167 Ratings
WATCH NOW
DisneyMovieRevAug 11, 2013
Summary:
Summary:
This review took a while to write. I was trying to decide whether my casual interest for airplanes was clouding my judgement. Then I got confused about whether I was rooting for DisneyToon Studios to succeed or fail in its first theatrical effort in nearly seven years. What I came away with was this: Planes is a good movie.

Dusty Crophopper (Dane Cook) is a crop dusting plane who dreams of racing. Besides the fact that he is afraid of heights, Dusty is hampered by his lack of speed. Still, he chases after his dream and, through a series of incredibly predictable events, he ends up in a race around the world.

There are some things to dislike about this movie. The most obvious is that it starts with a title screen that says “From above the world of ‘Cars.’” It’s like Disney was shouting, “We hope you saw that movie because that was really cool. This will try to be that, but it’s going to fail.” Beyond that there were a few parts that were a little hokey. Some say “Planes” has weak script writing, but I think the real weak link is Dane Cook. Every time I heard Dusty talk, I kept thinking Owen Wilson would have been great in that role. Then I remembered that Owen voiced Lightning McQueen, the main character in “Cars.” There is no way they would reuse Owen’s voice for what is essentially the same role in a movie that is so connected to “Cars.”

Still, Planes won me over. Roper (Sinbad) and El Chupacabra (Carlos Alazraqui) were hilarious. I liked how Disney showed multiple cultures and gave each its individual identity. They even got a Bollywood actress to voice the Indian plane Ishani. This is a great movie for kids who wonder when they will ever need Science or Math, as the planes constantly talk about gravity, drag, tail winds and moisture levels. It will further bolster arguments that those subjects are good for lots of things.

You don’t need to see Cars before you see this, but there are some ties to that movie. Planes doesn’t have the Radiator Springs emotion of Cars, but it tries to make up for that in other ways. If you liked cars, you will like this.

Final Verdict:
I’ll let others debate whether this should be a direct-to-home video film. If you have nothing else to do, Planes is a solid movie for you to see. It gets a solid 7 out of 10 in my mind. It doesn’t soar to high heights, but it doesn’t crash and burn. Cars was a favorite with kids and I suspect this series will be as well.

Themes: Friendship is the biggest theme. Dusty’s friendships are strong and he relies on them a lot. His friends also rely on him. Truth and Honesty play a huge role in the movie as well. There is even a slogan about “flying for truth.” And obviously, there is the theme of doing more than what you were “built” to do. I don’t think they really do enough with this or with Dusty conquering his fear of heights, but it’s there.

Disney Nods: I’m pretty sure there is a hidden Mickey in Dottie’s shop. I think the Mexico pavilion from EPCOT in Disney World makes an appearance as well. And of course, there is that blatant title scene designed to tie the movie to ‘Cars.’

Bathroom Break: Early in the movie, there is a montage where Dusty is being trained for the world race. This is a great time to go to the bathroom. You’ll miss the increase in torque and Dusty’s revelation that he’s afraid of heights. That’s the best time. If you have to go later, there is a time where Chupacabra sings and tries to win someone’s heart. I found this part to be very entertaining and would hate for you to miss it, but when you gotta go, you gotta go.

Credits: There is not an ending scene after the credits. DisneyToon takes a page from Marvel and reminds us “Dusty will return in Planes: Fire & Rescue.

Visit www.DisneyMovieReview.com for more reviews of Disney films.
TroianmanAug 23, 2013
I don't get the hate for this movie. I understand the desire to hate it, mostly because it is a Disney Animation Studios spin-off of the highly underrated Cars series (which has a fair amount of unwarranted dislike and hate directed towardsI don't get the hate for this movie. I understand the desire to hate it, mostly because it is a Disney Animation Studios spin-off of the highly underrated Cars series (which has a fair amount of unwarranted dislike and hate directed towards it as well) and as such is expected to be of Pixar quality which is itself not a justified thought since it is not Pixar behind this movie or even Pixar's animation team.

Planes is a solid movie that fits well into the established Cars universe that many of us know and love, with a few Cars-ish jokes that take place with Planes instead of Cars. It actually has a number of good jokes and fun characters that are quite enjoyable if you are not too busy still trying to hate the movie for everything it is not before it finishes. I admit it is nothing very special but that doesn't make it automatically bad, it is actually quite good. The story is predictable but so are almost all stories in most all movies if you have watched enough movies, that's not really a valid argument against a movie. Especially in an animated film where the story is meant to be uplifting in a fun way and simply provide amusement, which it does.

Lets think about this for a second, the movie is about talking planes. It is not a thriller or a drama or some sort of mind bending tale meant to evoke a sense of amazement at the level of story telling. It is fine for what it is and for what it tries to be, entertaining and fun. It probably won't win any awards, it probably shouldn't since as I have already said, it isn't really anything special. It will likely be one of the many Disney movies that many people forget about 10 years from now but that still doesn't make it a bad movie.
franissavioSep 9, 2013
In 5 weeks this under-rated movie made US$79 mio including US$4.4 mio last weekend. ON YOUR PLANES CRITICS AS WELLS AS USERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
smaug87Dec 4, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. If it was not for the abysmal 'Cars 2' and less then glossy 'Brave' recent Pixar releases would look like failers but thanks to these two let downs it makes 'Planes' shine in comparison. It was originally planned to be a direct to DVD release but Disney took the gamble and brought it to the big screen. Some may argue this was a gimmick to sell merchandise but the truth is kids owned toy cars and planes before Pixar came along and their is no doubt they still will when they are gone. This was defiantly the right choice and also clever merging it with the 'Cars' Universe despite not featuring any of the main characters from the Cars franchise.

The film is based around Dusty Crophopper, voiced by Dane Cook is a crop duster plane with a fear of heights. He longs to become a racer and compete in the Wings across the World Championship. With help training from a former Navy War plane named Skipper(Stacy Keach) ,Dusty enters but fails to get past the qualifying stage. However after another plane is disqualified Dusty takes his place.

Like 'Cars' the planes are portrayed as different nationalities including Bulldog, a British plane voiced by John Cleese, Mexican El Chupacabra, Italian Arturo and many more. This gives the film some good humour without being offensive. We also see races across, Germany, China, India and more. The earlier races are brief so do not become tedious.

'Planes' provides a vast amount of charm and will appeal to not only the younger viewers or older viewers as well. The animation is not what we have come to expect from Pixar but neither was Cars and leaves us with little concern. It may not be the best Pixar film but it is by no means the worst and is a worthy addition, sitting somewhere just below the middle.
Adam201028Oct 5, 2013
This movie is under rated I know not like cars but this is good for kids and me a big kid at hart and it shows that we can love the cars world again but I just wish it was well received
aditya91Nov 9, 2013
not bad movie was a good attempt It would be great if it has a little more action and story better visual effects too overall a watchable movie watchable
Tbone413Jul 2, 2015
Just have one thing to say, this is one of the most if not the most underrated movie(s) of all time. I don't care if it is another racing movie with an already used story, I still love it to death.
Jollyjoe1000Nov 26, 2015
This movie is a good underdog story,and why dose everyone hate this movie seriously, I do not see this movie as a fail and i do not know why everyone is is saying sucks.planes is a good movie.