5.3

1. MichaelC.
    Dec 10, 2009
    Its not the best animation movie of the year, but its really funny to see, with high quality 3D, simple argument (But simple isn't bad) with some memorable jokes. Ill be really proud if my first animation movie would be like that!! I recommend it.
  2. Nov 18, 2011
    PLANET 51 is a nice, little kiddie film that has many great homages to famous sci-fi movies.
  3. JamesH
    Nov 25, 2009
    The worse animated film I've seen in quite a while. SO predictable! NOT funny. The movie could not hold the attention of most of the kids in the theater as they were noisy and fidgety. By comparison, when I saw Wall-e in the theater you could hear a pin drop. I'm giving it a 2 because the animation is descent and there is one funny line when the aliens see the human naked. The worse animated film I've seen in quite a while. SO predictable! NOT funny. The movie could not hold the attention of most of the kids in the theater as they were noisy and fidgety. By comparison, when I saw Wall-e in the theater you could hear a pin drop. I'm giving it a 2 because the animation is descent and there is one funny line when the aliens see the human naked. Otherwise it's a ZERO. AVOID this bore-fest! Expand
  4. GabrielH
    Nov 27, 2009
    Just terrible film, lack of originality and in some parts even insulting. not for kids, sure. Brrrr
  5. JP
    Nov 29, 2009
    I wish there had been someone to tell me not to take my ENTIRE family for Thanksgiving to this movie. The kids looked forward to this show since we saw the previews months ago. From ages 4-11, this movie was terrible. They wanted to leave the theater, I was falling asleep due to lack of dialogue, and the kids were miserable. They hated sitting there with a movie that didn't have ANY I wish there had been someone to tell me not to take my ENTIRE family for Thanksgiving to this movie. The kids looked forward to this show since we saw the previews months ago. From ages 4-11, this movie was terrible. They wanted to leave the theater, I was falling asleep due to lack of dialogue, and the kids were miserable. They hated sitting there with a movie that didn't have ANY direction. The main character who is a self absorbed fool is so degrading to the title "astronaut". It was so bland and unfulfilled, I wanted to apologize to the family for the awful price we paid to sit there and watch this. Expand
  6. IsmaelR.
    Nov 21, 2009
    Once more, I don´t understand critics. This is not the best movie in the world, but it's a good and funny one.
  7. FranciscoO
    Dec 6, 2009
    Great movie, excellent animation.
  8. EugeneZ
    Dec 7, 2009
    This movie is the SMARTEST animation that I've ever seen (along with
  9. LizK
    Nov 21, 2009
    It was pretty amazing, a felling good movie for the kids
  10. DaveH.
    Nov 27, 2009
    Better than cloudy with a chance of meatballs. the movie makes the viewer think a little bit.
  11. FredW
    Nov 28, 2009
    Very funny, indeed, just a simple and a very nice story.
  12. DanielS.
    Nov 29, 2009
    Wonderful animation movie. There may be people out there that does not understand it.
  13. MattG.
    Dec 2, 2009
    Visually clever and pretty, not great art but definitely great fun.
  14. MiguelP.
    Dec 3, 2009
    Don't take this bad people but it seems that creeps you out that anybody come to play to your playground. I don't dare to say that this is better than a Pixar's movie, although is far better than Dreamworks "Monsters vs Aliens" By the way the movie is pretty well done to be the first serious Spanish animation movie project.
  15. JaimeM
    Dec 6, 2009
    A very, very good film!!! Don't trust bad reviews made by stupid people who rate Titanic as a 5/5 stars film. TRUST ME!!! You must see this film if you have a good sense of humor, LOVED IT!!!
  16. claired
    Nov 21, 2009
    Saw Planet 51 yesterday with my kids (5,7,9 yr) and I really enjoyed it. Very hilarious and well done. Congratulations!
  17. laurar
    Nov 21, 2009
    It´s the perfect movie to see with kids and have a family fun.
  18. johnm
    Nov 21, 2009
    This movie is simply perfect for family entertaining. Both kids and adults will love it. Fun and very touching.
  19. JohnFitz
    Nov 22, 2009
    Planet51 was an awesome movie. Highly Recommend.
  20. TamaraS
    A must see movie.
  21. Apr 19, 2013
    Planet 51 isn't really meant for children, it has a lot of references to movies and pop-culture that only an adult would understand, some violence here and there and some references to nudity. Nothing outrageous but definitely no Disney-standards. I enjoyed the humour and the 3D animation was good.

I'm surprised to see Planet 51 score as low as it does, maybe it's because a lot of people went in expecting a kid's movie and were served something that's akin to a science-fiction parody instead. It deserves better.
  22. ChadS
    Nov 21, 2009
    It's the hubris of man, or rather, the hubris of an American man, who would have the gall to ask Lem(Justin Long) if he's considered "good-looking" among his kind. The astronaut can't tell. The inference being, none too subtly, that Captain Baker(Dwayne Johnson) deems the young "alien" ugly. Prior to his landing, mankind was rendered in cheesy sci-fi films as a single giant It's the hubris of man, or rather, the hubris of an American man, who would have the gall to ask Lem(Justin Long) if he's considered "good-looking" among his kind. The astronaut can't tell. The inference being, none too subtly, that Captain Baker(Dwayne Johnson) deems the young "alien" ugly. Prior to his landing, mankind was rendered in cheesy sci-fi films as a single giant eye, an appropriate metaphor for the narcissism of the homonymic "I"(the astronaut). Dissimilar from "The Eye of the Beholder"(a 1960 "Twilight Zone" episode written by Rod Serling himself), in which a beautiful woman, whose cosmetic surgery goes awry, is considered hideous by the standards of an otherworldly culture, the human species remain the standard bearer of beauty(the astronaut calls them "sea monkeys") in "Planet 51", despite the context where being tall and Caucasian might be hideous to the short and green. Captain Baker lands not only on another planet, but in another era, as the film documents the moment on our own planet when the hangover of the fifties, still felt, arguably, as late as 1964, finally dissipated, due to the rumblings of an oncoming conflict in Vietnam. There's no war in "Planet 51", but there are peace activists(and a protest singer), who insist that the visitor is friendly. The presence of these proto-hippies suggest "The War of the Worlds" in reverse could happen, an odd fit for a film that doggedly rehashes "E.T.". Well, maybe it might. After all, these planetary denizens wanted to dissect the astronaut's brain. Without any back-up, what choice does Captain Baker have, but to hug Lem like Henry Thomas, as in the finale of the 1982 Steven Spielberg classic. He'll be back and give those misplaced protestors something to protest about. Expand
  23. KgM.
    Dec 1, 2009
    This picture takes an alien planet and imports a 50s motif and therein lies the basic background of the storyline. The problem is it isn
  24. LuisV.
    Nov 20, 2009
    Utterly absurd and unfunny and predictable and dull and insulting. And who the F cares if there really are aliens in the attic !
  25. AngelaO.
    Nov 28, 2009
    What a disaster and what a shame! My son and I had to leave the theater before its ending. It is boring and disgusting!
  26. MommySmith
    Nov 29, 2009
    Nice. Light. Funny. Finally, a kids movie which is actually for kids. Nothing scary. (Kids Age 3 + 5).
  27. AntonioM.
    Dec 9, 2009
    This is a very intelligent (and fun) movie, in the line of Shrek-1 (no surprise as Joe Stillman is the writer in both). I went to see it with my 5 years old daughter and she liked it a lot...but I liked it more because I could understand most of the intelligent jokes which the film is literally filled with. From the title (clear reference to Area 51 where the aliens are supposed to be This is a very intelligent (and fun) movie, in the line of Shrek-1 (no surprise as Joe Stillman is the writer in both). I went to see it with my 5 years old daughter and she liked it a lot...but I liked it more because I could understand most of the intelligent jokes which the film is literally filled with. From the title (clear reference to Area 51 where the aliens are supposed to be kept secretly by the U.S.), to references to films like Alien, E.T., B series movies (50 feet woman,...), like details in the background (Comics starring a green giant called "Bulked" (Hulk)... Despite not being as round as Shrek-1, it clearly has much more attention to detail to make jokes even on the background as the main action is taking place. As said, a good film for kids but even better film for adults with other movies background. Very intelligent. Expand
  28. JohnJohn
    Funny!
  29. Aug 26, 2010
    Planet 51 has good animation, an funny plot and easy-to-please moments, but has an very predictable end - and even children knows that, but stays a question in all heads, before the end: he stays there or he goes?
  30. Jan 15, 2015
    If you are the sort enjoy watching movies for children, with your children, or simply movies with vivid, beautiful, and creative art direction, you'll enjoy this movie. Otherwise it simply isn't for you. It's humor is by no means racy, but some jokes may offend you if you are the easily offended type. While it does what it sets out to do, I wouldn't recommend this movie to most people, butIf you are the sort enjoy watching movies for children, with your children, or simply movies with vivid, beautiful, and creative art direction, you'll enjoy this movie. Otherwise it simply isn't for you. It's humor is by no means racy, but some jokes may offend you if you are the easily offended type. While it does what it sets out to do, I wouldn't recommend this movie to most people, but if you do fit the profile of a person I specified earlier, I would recommend it. Expand
  31. May 26, 2011
    Its a shame that this movie didn't use it's smart plot to a benefit or I would have given this movie a higher rating if it had a better cast and if it was funnier, but like I said it falls too short.
  32. Mar 21, 2011
    This family animated film was okay not great. The concept of the alien civilization being in the 1950s was dumb. Even some of the music from the 1950s by dumb pop singers was retarded. The acting was okay too. This movie is for kids only, not adults.
  33. Apr 19, 2011
    This Is A VERY Uncreative Movie... The Voices Are Nah-Nah... But This Is Cute For Kids...
  34. Jan 23, 2014
    While the 1950s/1960s references and setting are likely to fall flat with most kids, I thought the film was fun and brilliantly animated. My little nephew had no idea about the cultural era defined for the aliens, but he remained mostly interested from start to finish (which, for him, is quite a feat). This is by no means the cream of the animated film crop, but it's a far betterWhile the 1950s/1960s references and setting are likely to fall flat with most kids, I thought the film was fun and brilliantly animated. My little nephew had no idea about the cultural era defined for the aliens, but he remained mostly interested from start to finish (which, for him, is quite a feat). This is by no means the cream of the animated film crop, but it's a far better experience than many reviews to date would suggest, and it's worth watching. It's a shame I never heard about it until nearly four years after release. Expand
  35. Nov 13, 2011
    Planet 51 does have a unique concept of an alien race in a 1950's flair environment, but the whole execution of the movie was a complete disaster. The story was quickly forgettable with humour so dull that Dwayne Johnson (voice of Charles T. Baker aka the Astronaut) couldn't save this animated feature to be highly entertaining. With a poor execution and only two scenes that will make youPlanet 51 does have a unique concept of an alien race in a 1950's flair environment, but the whole execution of the movie was a complete disaster. The story was quickly forgettable with humour so dull that Dwayne Johnson (voice of Charles T. Baker aka the Astronaut) couldn't save this animated feature to be highly entertaining. With a poor execution and only two scenes that will make you laugh, Planet 51 is at best to be a direct to video film than a theatrical feature. Expand
  36. Dec 2, 2011
    Planet 51 may have great animation, but the thin plotted story and uninteresting characters make it very boring. It lacks fun in a lot of ways. The premise was interesting, but was poorly executed.
  37. Jan 29, 2012
    It has a very intriguing premise but the whole film is a wreck. With boring voice acting and bad animation along with it not being funny, Save your money and don't see it. i give this movie 19%.
  38. May 14, 2012
    Planet 51 is a poor animation movie. It haves a really stupid story, but sometimes it gets kinda interesting, sometimes, because this move is a let down. Even the animation is amateur and poor.
  39. Sep 4, 2012
    "Planet 51" is a letdown that isn't worth to watch. Yes, it haves a good 3d animation, but the story is weird and dumb, and It isn't kids film. This movie is more for teens, because it haves some sexual moments, that aren't graphically absurd, but really not for kids.
  40. Nov 16, 2013
    Planet 51 is spaced out.
    No laughs, no good characters, no real message, and an unoriginal story. The only redeeming quality I can see is that it will hold kids interest; but there are many choices far better than this one regarding a family film.
  41. Aug 17, 2014
    Planet 51 pays homage to the classic alien movies in which it references much from movies such as Aliens and 2001: A Space Odyssey, in which they are really fun and they keep an adult's attention. Personally, my list of favorite animated movies includes peculiar titles and not the usual classics, Planet 51 fits there perfectly.
  42. Jul 13, 2014
    It's odd that before this review, the average user rating was 51. How ironic. Especially because it deserves a much lower score. I mean, it's pretty obvious what will happen.
  43. Dec 21, 2014
    Planet 51 is Silly and ridiculous but its fun with some funny and sometimes stupid humours and reference.
    The Movie has potential,It has interesting plot but execution is where the movie falls flat,The Movie is really for kids but some of them are for adults but the only I will say that don't buy or go theaters to watch this
    just go and find pirated copies of the movie cause it's not
    just go and find pirated copies of the movie cause it's not wort h the money.

1. A perky though not terribly imaginative feature aimed primarily at youngsters.
  2. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    There's nothing funny, provocative or involving about what "Shrek" co-writer Joe Stillman and the team from Madrid-based Ilion Animation Studios do with the notion here.
  3. Reviewed by: Brian Miller
    Like "E.T." in reverse, this pleasantly mediocre CG animation tale lands an astronaut on a distant planet.