5.0

1. BR
    Apr 18, 2006
    I can't understand anyone giving this movie even a mediocre scroe. It was terrible. bad acting, predicatable plot. Just plain dumb.
  2. ShourovB.
    Sep 29, 2002
    Startingly bad. I wanted to watch this movie for fun, and instead found myself wanting the last 90 minutes of my life back. I didn't care if the story was not plausible (neither was the original, which I liked) but Burton made the plot *so* inconsistent that I couldn't ignore it any more. God knows I wanted to enjoy this movie, I really did, but in the end it is probably the Startingly bad. I wanted to watch this movie for fun, and instead found myself wanting the last 90 minutes of my life back. I didn't care if the story was not plausible (neither was the original, which I liked) but Burton made the plot *so* inconsistent that I couldn't ignore it any more. God knows I wanted to enjoy this movie, I really did, but in the end it is probably the worst movie I have ever seen. And no-one - I mean no-one- has ever acted worse than Estella Warren has in this "movie." Expand
  3. Jun 21, 2011
    Are you kidding ? Here we venture deep, deep into B-movie territory, with everything from the CGI to the acting to the makeup being plain...ridiculous ! The old and the young apes are really unbelievably, flabbergastingly unwatchable. This is moviemaking at its worst ! I swear one of the monkeys looks like Prince !
  4. Dec 8, 2014
    Weak movie compared to both 2011 version and 1968 version. Plot is bad, just bad, it is plain and simple, there are no twists, ideas of time travel is overused.
  5. Jul 28, 2014
    Wow, this movie is a piece of sh*t. Not only does the apes look like some f*cking human dressed in a Halloween suit, the plot is so f*cking stupid. Even Mark Walhberg's performance sucks monkey dicks and HE IS A GREAT ACTOR!!! The movie opens with an intriguing climax but ends up in a way so retarded. Tim Burton doesn't give a sh*t, why should I? This movie makes me wanna see the way-muchWow, this movie is a piece of sh*t. Not only does the apes look like some f*cking human dressed in a Halloween suit, the plot is so f*cking stupid. Even Mark Walhberg's performance sucks monkey dicks and HE IS A GREAT ACTOR!!! The movie opens with an intriguing climax but ends up in a way so retarded. Tim Burton doesn't give a sh*t, why should I? This movie makes me wanna see the way-much better reboot... Planet of the Apes (2001), yeah the bad one. **** this sh*t. Expand
  6. TurkB.
    Jan 5, 2002
    Simply awful - this one makes you think? Sorry Joey D. - watching POTA (2001) takes as much thought as watching a video-game - in ten years, this version will be long forgotten.
  7. PaulaW.
    Nov 12, 2001
    Typical boring Hollywood nonsense, with a preachy underlying animal-rights theme. A loud soundtrack and so-so effects take the place of story and character development. Director Tim Burton is way off his game. It's hard to believe that this is the same person who made Edward Scissorhands or Sleepy Hollow. And what are Tim Roth and Helena Bonham-Carter, or for that matter Marky Mark, Typical boring Hollywood nonsense, with a preachy underlying animal-rights theme. A loud soundtrack and so-so effects take the place of story and character development. Director Tim Burton is way off his game. It's hard to believe that this is the same person who made Edward Scissorhands or Sleepy Hollow. And what are Tim Roth and Helena Bonham-Carter, or for that matter Marky Mark, doing in this stinker? The one bright spot is the inventive set design: the city of the apes is a megalopolis of treehouses, built vertically not horizontally for swinging through trees. Feel free to give it a miss. Expand
  8. Karen
    Aug 23, 2001
    One for makeup, one for art direction, one for incredibly realistic movement of the apes. Everything else was unsatisfying. Especially disappointing was raising the specter of interspecies relationships, then kissing off the monkey/human love interest.
  9. PatC.
    Jan 7, 2004
    The original had a modicum of unique stimulating content. None of it made it into this remake. This is not really remade but de-evolved. It's a formula piece that stole the name of an old movie that worked. The final confrontation was, what's the word, ape-ish.
  10. RobertF.
    Aug 17, 2001
    Tim Roth seems to be auditioning for the ape version of "Richard III" and Helena B. Carter gears her entire performance towards making hot monkey love with Marky Mark...so where's the hot monkey love scene Mr. Burton?
  11. BobB.
    Aug 24, 2001
    Really dull! dull! dull! in spite of the makeup and sets. The story was dumb, and most of the apes had dark vader's voice. The acting was pathetic. I was really disappointed.
  12. CBB
    Jun 28, 2002
    The original was better, much better. The only thing I liked about this movie was how realistic the ape make up was compared to the original.
  13. YoonC.
    Sep 24, 2003
    Some well-deserved praise must go to costume designers but this movie is all forward lurch without a quiet moment for satirical exposition. It says something about the current state of big budget filmmaking that execs(and movie directors too?)are so convinced of audience's attention deficit disorder and so greedy for the biggest blockbuster that what we get is a nothing but a roller Some well-deserved praise must go to costume designers but this movie is all forward lurch without a quiet moment for satirical exposition. It says something about the current state of big budget filmmaking that execs(and movie directors too?)are so convinced of audience's attention deficit disorder and so greedy for the biggest blockbuster that what we get is a nothing but a roller coaster ride thru gorilla themepark. The trailers stirred up some controversy by implying the movie is about race relations in America, and one can't entirely shake off that suspicion. If so, it's one helluva politically incorrect movie. Still, think of Jurassic Park, which was not only thrilling but wondrous and thoughtful. This movie is just a series of slips on banana peels. It keeps moving but only downward and on landing on its butt. Expand
  14. VladimirP.
    Jan 27, 2002
    The old planet of the apes wasn't bad...the story was kind of interesting, but really nothing special. But, the new Planet of the Apes, was the most terrible, awful, pathetic piece of sh.. I have ever watched. It was stupid from the beginning on, and the end is so amazingly dumb that I was shocked. Burton has made much better!!! The soundtrack was annoying and the effects so flashy The old planet of the apes wasn't bad...the story was kind of interesting, but really nothing special. But, the new Planet of the Apes, was the most terrible, awful, pathetic piece of sh.. I have ever watched. It was stupid from the beginning on, and the end is so amazingly dumb that I was shocked. Burton has made much better!!! The soundtrack was annoying and the effects so flashy that everything was white when I left the theatre. Please Mr. Burton, don't make a sequel!! Expand
  15. Simon
    Mar 22, 2002
    Terrible script, and what seems to me to be terrible direction, just fails to be at all interesting, or fun or exciting!
  16. Feb 10, 2013
    Planet of the Apes is so shallow, covered with idiocy, and actors acting worse than monkeys. Tim Burton has disgraced the original and hurt is reputation.
  17. Jun 29, 2013
    Terrible script mixed with a very ugly looking quality, Planet of the Apes is just a full blown mess. Mark Wahlberg does his best, but unfortunately the lack of fun brings this movie down.
  18. May 13, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This was the first remake I watched that I clearly knew that it was made only for profit, it wasn't the first remake I saw, but it was one of the worst ones I watched so far. First of all this is a remake of one of my favorite movies of all time, so that's a check for me. It is made by Tim Burton so there was some hope for pleasing visuals and interesting dark storytelling. I got one of those aspects, this movie is great to look at; much like how the Bayformers are great to look at, but is yet lacking in any depth. there's also a big name star; I think, in the leading role, who I can say safely I don't care about. Okay so I don't like the main character, this isn't going so well. I can say at least that the costuming in this film is very good, I might consider it better than the original, but that alone doesn't make up for this film has done. First of all, why do the apes jump so damn high? I never knew apes as such aerodynamic creatures, whenever I see the bad guy; I don't care who his real name is, jump around like the Cocoa puffs bird, it makes the realistic makeup loose all of its effect. The climax is so cliché, of course it is fun to watch like I say repeatedly, and i feel like the end to that climax is really unsatisfying. The ending is by far one of the most stupidest of all time, it's no where near as clever and dark as the original. That about wraps it, and all there is to this flick is some good visuals and jumping apes. Expand
  19. May 25, 2014
    Planet of the Apes is a remake that never should have happend this movie is pure garbage i dont care what anyone says this film is by far the worst of the franchise. Even before i knew this was a Tim Burton film i hated it and once i figued out that it was him that directed the film my hatred for it grew even more. For it having a 100M budget i have no clue where all that money went thePlanet of the Apes is a remake that never should have happend this movie is pure garbage i dont care what anyone says this film is by far the worst of the franchise. Even before i knew this was a Tim Burton film i hated it and once i figued out that it was him that directed the film my hatred for it grew even more. For it having a 100M budget i have no clue where all that money went the CGI was crap, the sets were simple, and the make up was subpar compared to "The fellowship of the Ring" a film with less budget and came out the same year. The plot was crap and the ending has to be one of the worst of all time. The only good thing about this film was Michael Clarke Duncan and i guess Tim Roth as he always does a good villain. I recommend you not even watch this pile a junk and just stick to the originals and the 2011 Reboot that i personally think is underrated and if you have already seen this try really hard to forget everything about it.

Overall i give it a 4.0
  20. Jul 6, 2014
    Worst Unnecessary Remakes I Seen In My Life ,Psycho (1998). Carrie (2013). Planet Of The Apes (2001). The Fog (2005). A Nightmare On Elm Street (2010). Prom Night (2008). The Day The Earth Stood Still (2008). Flubber (1997). The Stepfather (2009). Clash Of The Titans (2010). The Wicker Man (2006)
  21. Aug 1, 2014
    "Planet of the Apes" is a disappointing remake of a film series that ought to be thought-provoking. Burton's attempt to recreate the 1968 film's atmosphere seems uninspired and somewhat antiquated. The visuals are nothing special, even though they successfully establish the film's dystopian look. With Mark Wahlberg's pathetic performance, it looks like Burton aims at an action b-movie and"Planet of the Apes" is a disappointing remake of a film series that ought to be thought-provoking. Burton's attempt to recreate the 1968 film's atmosphere seems uninspired and somewhat antiquated. The visuals are nothing special, even though they successfully establish the film's dystopian look. With Mark Wahlberg's pathetic performance, it looks like Burton aims at an action b-movie and and not a film supportive of the franchise's intriguing premise. It is sickeningly inferior to both the original film or the 2011 reboot. Expand
  22. Apr 23, 2015
    Tim Burton’s 2001 remake of Planet of the Apes is bad, boring, bland movie. It’s populated by bad, boring, bland characters. Generally these characters are played by entertaining actors, like Tim Roth and Paul Giammatti. This is excepting Mark Wahlberg, who comes across as bad, boring, and bland when forced into a generic leading man role. This is also excepting the human female lead. SheTim Burton’s 2001 remake of Planet of the Apes is bad, boring, bland movie. It’s populated by bad, boring, bland characters. Generally these characters are played by entertaining actors, like Tim Roth and Paul Giammatti. This is excepting Mark Wahlberg, who comes across as bad, boring, and bland when forced into a generic leading man role. This is also excepting the human female lead. She is an attractive human female and literally nothing else. This should also not include Helena Bonham Carter, whose character is uncomfortable to watch. In fact most of the fun cast is given so little to do that any second of movie that’s actually entertaining is countered by two or three that are bad, boring, and bland. It’s definitely the worst movie of the franchise, and we should all be glad they never got to make more. Expand

Burton's made a film that's respectful to the original, and respectable in itself, but that's not enough. Ten years from now, it will be the 1968 version that people are still renting.
    With the exception of a battle scene with apes on all fours charging the humans, the film is monumentally silly.
    When Mr. Burton's "Planet" fixes on being entertaining...it succeeds. But the picture states its social points so bluntly that it becomes slow-witted and condescending; it treats the audience as pets.