5.2

1. Jun 29, 2013
    Terrible script mixed with a very ugly looking quality, Planet of the Apes is just a full blown mess. Mark Wahlberg does his best, but unfortunately the lack of fun brings this movie down.
  2. May 13, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This was the first remake I watched that I clearly knew that it was made only for profit, it wasn't the first remake I saw, but it was one of the worst ones I watched so far. First of all this is a remake of one of my favorite movies of all time, so that's a check for me. It is made by Tim Burton so there was some hope for pleasing visuals and interesting dark storytelling. I got one of those aspects, this movie is great to look at; much like how the Bayformers are great to look at, but is yet lacking in any depth. there's also a big name star; I think, in the leading role, who I can say safely I don't care about. Okay so I don't like the main character, this isn't going so well. I can say at least that the costuming in this film is very good, I might consider it better than the original, but that alone doesn't make up for this film has done. First of all, why do the apes jump so damn high? I never knew apes as such aerodynamic creatures, whenever I see the bad guy; I don't care who his real name is, jump around like the Cocoa puffs bird, it makes the realistic makeup loose all of its effect. The climax is so cliché, of course it is fun to watch like I say repeatedly, and i feel like the end to that climax is really unsatisfying. The ending is by far one of the most stupidest of all time, it's no where near as clever and dark as the original. That about wraps it, and all there is to this flick is some good visuals and jumping apes. Expand
  3. Feb 10, 2013
    Planet of the Apes is so shallow, covered with idiocy, and actors acting worse than monkeys. Tim Burton has disgraced the original and hurt is reputation.
  4. Jun 21, 2011
    Are you kidding ? Here we venture deep, deep into B-movie territory, with everything from the CGI to the acting to the makeup being plain...ridiculous ! The old and the young apes are really unbelievably, flabbergastingly unwatchable. This is moviemaking at its worst ! I swear one of the monkeys looks like Prince !

Burton's made a film that's respectful to the original, and respectable in itself, but that's not enough. Ten years from now, it will be the 1968 version that people are still renting.
    With the exception of a battle scene with apes on all fours charging the humans, the film is monumentally silly.
    When Mr. Burton's "Planet" fixes on being entertaining...it succeeds. But the picture states its social points so bluntly that it becomes slow-witted and condescending; it treats the audience as pets.