Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation | Release Date: July 27, 2001
4.9
Mixed or average reviews based on 186 Ratings
Watch Now
grandpajoe6191Sep 28, 2011
Although I agree about the dazzling visuals, Tim Burton certainly DID NOT spend his time wisely on the script or direction when making "Planet of the Apes".
imthenoobJun 9, 2013
Honestly, Wasn't that bad of a movie. I thought it was pretty enjoyable and the action scenes were alright. Certainly lacked a plot and the acting, despite having a strong cast, wasn't that good either. Still enjoyabe to watch, I liked it.
ViolettDec 8, 2014
Weak movie compared to both 2011 version and 1968 version. Plot is bad, just bad, it is plain and simple, there are no twists, ideas of time travel is overused.
CharlesH.Aug 28, 2001
The central character in this movie i.e. Marky Mark had no development. The Apes were great but maybe No. 2 should be directed by Cameron or Ridley Scott. Most of the other humans were quite plastic, and the ending of the movie was too The central character in this movie i.e. Marky Mark had no development. The Apes were great but maybe No. 2 should be directed by Cameron or Ridley Scott. Most of the other humans were quite plastic, and the ending of the movie was too simplistic. The movie needed more thought but at the end of it I came out and said I enjoyed it for what it was. So thumbs up for fun, thumbs down for being a true classic, which it will never become! Expand
0 of 0 users found this helpful
WillAug 13, 2011
The first act was great - incredible makeup, and fascinating story watching the apes' lifestyle. However, the film loses speed near the middle and ends up turning into a pretty uninvolving road movie with many boring and useless characters,The first act was great - incredible makeup, and fascinating story watching the apes' lifestyle. However, the film loses speed near the middle and ends up turning into a pretty uninvolving road movie with many boring and useless characters, particularly the human love interest, played by Estella Warren, who has like four lines of dialogue. However, Burton deserves credit for not making a direct remake of the 1968 original, instead creating his own vision. I did like the slow revelation to what the planet of the apes is (not exactly what you'd expect, those who have seen the original), and the unexplained but fabulous twist ending. Expand
asylumspadezNov 23, 2011
It was a lot better then I expected for a Tim Burton film. While it wasnt as good as the originals, I still thought it was interesting and good enough to sit through it.
TokyochuchuApr 3, 2012
Planet of the Apes isn't a fantastic movie and certainly has the faint whiff of 'wasted opportunity' hanging about it. It is, however, a very solid yet throwaway popcorn flick that entertains with great costume design and goofy action. TimPlanet of the Apes isn't a fantastic movie and certainly has the faint whiff of 'wasted opportunity' hanging about it. It is, however, a very solid yet throwaway popcorn flick that entertains with great costume design and goofy action. Tim Roth is also really good in his role as General Thade. Still... could have been much better. Expand
spadenxDec 19, 2011
Actually wasnt that bad. It was interesting through out and worth the watch but the acting was far below what I expected from such an experianced cast. Tim Burton once again shows why he is my least favorite director by ruining the potentialActually wasnt that bad. It was interesting through out and worth the watch but the acting was far below what I expected from such an experianced cast. Tim Burton once again shows why he is my least favorite director by ruining the potential of this remake/reboot. I agree with the others when they say the visuals were good but the script was terrible. It also didnt help that they did such a poor job explaining things. Still besides all this, It wasnt all that bad. Expand
beingryanjudeSep 1, 2014
A widely panned flick which diminished the Planet of the Apes franchise. Unfortunately, more time needed to be spent perfecting the direction and screenplay. Still, I'd love to watch it again.
ILHMFeb 1, 2013
It would take a man like Tim Burton to grossly misconceive an over-budgeted remake like PLANET OF THE APES. This special effects spectacle looks great on screen, but lacks the character and intelligence of the original. As a result, APES wasIt would take a man like Tim Burton to grossly misconceive an over-budgeted remake like PLANET OF THE APES. This special effects spectacle looks great on screen, but lacks the character and intelligence of the original. As a result, APES was a commercial success, but a critical failure. Astronaut Leo Davidson is thrust through time to find himself trapped on a world ruled by apes. After a planned escape, Davidson becomes the unexpected hero in a human revolt against the apes! The only real hero in PLANET OF THE APES is seven-time Oscar winner Rick Baker for his phenomenal make-up designs, which bring the apes to life in a wide array of different shapes and sizes. The apes simply look incredible, but unfortunately, the appliances hinder the performances of the actors, and often cause them to stumble through their lines. This is not the case for Helena Bonham Carter, who prefers to whisper incoherently, or Tim Roth, who just spits his vile contempt for humanity like venom. Where screenwriter William Broyles Jr. makes his biggest mistake is in allowing all humans to have the capacity of speech, which completely destroys the impact of Davidson's arrival on the planet. There can be no questioning of ape ethics or breakdown in ape philosophy if the lead character is no different than the humans that already exist on the planet. Coupled with Mark Wahlberg's stagnant performance, PLANET OF THE APES misses the point entirely. What is left is an entertaining but empty space epic that will be long forgotten in the years to come. -Carl Manes
I Like Horror Movies
NecromusDec 4, 2012
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I found this movie to be disappointing, I am a fan of the original movies and this was not as good as the original movie. The costumes were good but the story was not as good as the original movie. It was just okay, so I'm giving it a 6/10 for a mediocre movie.

BTW: I saw this in the theater and at the part when he ends up in front of the Lincoln Memorial it was so tempting but I really had to refrain from yelling out "It's APEraham Lincoln!!!"
Skullgirlsfan13May 13, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This was the first remake I watched that I clearly knew that it was made only for profit, it wasn't the first remake I saw, but it was one of the worst ones I watched so far. First of all this is a remake of one of my favorite movies of all time, so that's a check for me. It is made by Tim Burton so there was some hope for pleasing visuals and interesting dark storytelling. I got one of those aspects, this movie is great to look at; much like how the Bayformers are great to look at, but is yet lacking in any depth. there's also a big name star; I think, in the leading role, who I can say safely I don't care about. Okay so I don't like the main character, this isn't going so well. I can say at least that the costuming in this film is very good, I might consider it better than the original, but that alone doesn't make up for this film has done. First of all, why do the apes jump so damn high? I never knew apes as such aerodynamic creatures, whenever I see the bad guy; I don't care who his real name is, jump around like the Cocoa puffs bird, it makes the realistic makeup loose all of its effect. The climax is so cliché, of course it is fun to watch like I say repeatedly, and i feel like the end to that climax is really unsatisfying. The ending is by far one of the most stupidest of all time, it's no where near as clever and dark as the original. That about wraps it, and all there is to this flick is some good visuals and jumping apes. Expand
DuckNationMay 25, 2014
Planet of the Apes is a remake that never should have happend this movie is pure garbage i dont care what anyone says this film is by far the worst of the franchise. Even before i knew this was a Tim Burton film i hated it and once i figuedPlanet of the Apes is a remake that never should have happend this movie is pure garbage i dont care what anyone says this film is by far the worst of the franchise. Even before i knew this was a Tim Burton film i hated it and once i figued out that it was him that directed the film my hatred for it grew even more. For it having a 100M budget i have no clue where all that money went the CGI was crap, the sets were simple, and the make up was subpar compared to "The fellowship of the Ring" a film with less budget and came out the same year. The plot was crap and the ending has to be one of the worst of all time. The only good thing about this film was Michael Clarke Duncan and i guess Tim Roth as he always does a good villain. I recommend you not even watch this pile a junk and just stick to the originals and the 2011 Reboot that i personally think is underrated and if you have already seen this try really hard to forget everything about it.

Overall i give it a 4.0
chwJul 19, 2014
I don't understand why Tim Burton would agree to direct this. Out of all of his films, this had to be one of the very weirdest. There were parts that will be confusing to some, until you read someone's synopsis of the movie...