8.6

1. Feb 26, 2015
    The content we read compared to Pleasantville was interesting and exhilarating. In this essay I’ll be talking about the differences and similarities. Pleasantville was interesting to me and I saw some hidden messages. I’ll be talking about all of this while comparing it to the bible. The story I’ll be comparing it too is Adam and Eve. I’ll be talking about what I think about the both. IThe content we read compared to Pleasantville was interesting and exhilarating. In this essay I’ll be talking about the differences and similarities. Pleasantville was interesting to me and I saw some hidden messages. I’ll be talking about all of this while comparing it to the bible. The story I’ll be comparing it too is Adam and Eve. I’ll be talking about what I think about the both. I will end it giving this a conclusion about what I learned.
    I thought some comparisons were when the cable guy made that world. It was similar to when God created Earth. Another comparison was when David was with his girlfriend and she gave him the apple. It reminded me of when Eve gave Adam the apple in the bible. I also thought David was the serpent because he went against the cable guy and changed things. These similarities are what I noticed throughout both of these items.
    Some differences are where the movie was set and where the bible was. Another difference is that only 2 people were in the bible and Pleasantville had a whole city of people. Another difference is that there is only one race in Pleasantville and there were multiple races in the bible. Those differences aren’t too amazing but they are definitely differences in the story to the book. More differences were that Pleasantville was an advanced place and Adam and Eve were just starting off on the world that had just a garden and not a city or town.
    The messages in the movie like when the wife put the makeup on was about having a mask and an identity of someone you aren’t. This is an example of deep messages in the movie. Another message was when certain colors appeared they had to do with different emotions and feelings. When the tree set on fire I felt like it had to do with passion and love. As the characters changed and became more mature I felt like it meant we all grow up. That’s what some ideas I thought about in the movie it didn’t relate to the bible but I had to put it in here.
    In conclusion there were similarities and differences to the movie to the book. I covered about what they were. I also talked about the messages in the movie too. I enjoyed comparing the two. I also enjoyed watching this movie. The movie had a lot of deep messages and was exciting. The concept we read was similar to the movie. That’s what I got from those two. Thank you for reading my essay.
  2. voo
    Feb 26, 2015
    Pleasantville is a story, or movie, about how two main characters, David and Jennifer, who both have two conflicting events the same night, fighting over the TV remote and breaking it. Unable to turn on the TV, a TV Repairman appears and gives them a new remote after a short conversation about their favorite TV show, Pleasantville. This new remote looks strange and as David turns the TV onPleasantville is a story, or movie, about how two main characters, David and Jennifer, who both have two conflicting events the same night, fighting over the TV remote and breaking it. Unable to turn on the TV, a TV Repairman appears and gives them a new remote after a short conversation about their favorite TV show, Pleasantville. This new remote looks strange and as David turns the TV on they are both sucked into the TV and appear as Bud and Mary Sue, in the TV show, Pleasantville. Afterwards they begin to change the TV show, bringing knowledge to the TV Show.
    In Adam and Eve, after they both partake in the apple from the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil, they gain humility and use leaves to hide themselves from God, because they want to avoid shame. In Pleasantville, Bud’s mother change color after coming in contact with change, and is afraid because she is the first adult to turn to color. She hides herself from Bud’s father by covering the color with makeup, to similarly avoid shame. After a large spread of color in both environment and the people, people begin to segregate themselves and the Non-Colors start to bully the Colors because they feel they are superior in some way, possible because they are the ‘originals’ where the colors have changed and are therefore irrelevant. The Mayor, soon after, starts to instate rules or laws that target Colors specifically to ‘maintain pleasantness’, mostly because of the fact that he thinks the colors aren’t good for the community because he is a Non-Color himself. In Adam and Eve, once God sees that Adam and Eve have gained knowledge, he gets angry and starts to punish Adam and Eve with things such as death and disease, hunger and labor, etc.
    In Pleasantville, there is no real snake to tempt change with the main characters, but there is one in Adam and Eve. In Pleasantville, the change or gaining of knowledge happens over a longer time period, things becoming apparent slowly, but in Adam and Eve, the change is very fast, happening in the short time that God speaks to Adam and Eve about the things they have unleashed upon the earth. The change of Pleasantville is coming along from the two main characters, Jennifer and David, because they influence the people and environment around them, so in a way their existence in Pleasantville is the ‘snake’ as they tempt others by the idea of knowledge. It is also somewhat represented by David and Jennifer’s need to change the people around them. Near the beginning there is a scene where David tells the other man who works at the restaurant that he can do things without David being there, changing him. Also, in Pleasantville many of the people feel that change is good, or see it as them being happier after changing even though some of the things that come aren’t that happy, such as rainstorms. In Adam and Eve, God portrays the change, or knowledge, as something bad, or unhappy possibly. The story shows that change must not come because if there is no change, everything will keep going as they had before, maintaining a feeling of safety and peace. This could possibly relate to the saying, ‘Man fears nothing but the unknown.’
    In conclusion, Pleasantville and the story of Adam and Eve are very similar and try to portray the idea of change in different ways. Pleasantville portrays it as knowledge comes with good and bad things, but in the end you become a happier or better person because of it. In the story of Adam and Eve, it is portrayed as bad, that knowledge and change need to be kept away to keep the people safe. I feel that Pleasantville portrays the message better but in a more light-hearted way, whereas Adam and Eve portrays it worse, in a more heavy and angry way. The story, however, is much older than Pleasantville so it may have a bias towards not changing things due to old beliefs or the modern way of thinking at the time. As a personal reflection I feel that change is necessary to grow as a person. If you do not change you will be stuck where you are or how you think until change takes place.
  3. Feb 26, 2015
    Is Pleasantville like Adam and Eve?
    Is Pleasantville like Adam and Eve?
    The title of the title of the movie basically says it all. Pleasantville. A movie that represents the story of Adam and Eve in many ways. Yet, it has its own unique twist in character descriptions, setting, and theme a little. It has its similarities, yet, it has it’s differences. The story starts out with a brother and sister who are two complete opposites. Right here, we get a reference of yen and yang. Two opposites that balance out each other, even though those two aren’t balanced out themselves. David, the nerdy brother, is basically obsessed with a TV show called Pleasantville; a show based in the 5o’s starring a perfect family living in a perfect world where everything is “pleasant” and perfect. David absolutely had to watch the marathon on the one night of the year that it showed. As always, there was one complication. Jan, the rebellious sister, had a guy coming over that night to “study”, and she wanted to use the living room. Now, before we go any further, does this remind you of something? David represents Adam, the guy who follows the rules and doesn’t rebel to anything. Jen represents Eve, the girl who is rebellious and goes against the rules.
    While arguing who gets to have the living room, they both start fighting over the remote. They break the remote and a mysterious TV repair man arrives at the door. He comes inside and has a discussion about Pleasantville with David as he gets his tools and looks at the TV. Pleasantly surprised that David knew so much about Pleasantville, the TV repair man gives David a remote and leaves. Confused, David tries out the remote and gets sucked into Pleasantville along with his sister. They are completely dumbfounded and shocked when they realize that they turned into the characters of Bud and Mary Sue. They see that the TV repair man talks to them through the TV and tells them he put them there because of David and how much he knows about Pleasantville. He then gets offended because David yells at him, and tells the brother and sister that they need to stay there for a week. Know, the TV repair man was like God. He ruled over David and Jen and put them in a situation where they have to follow the rules.
    Jen and David act as normal as they can and try to follow along with the story. Well…at least David tries to. Jen, being the rebellious character she is, breaks the rules and starts changing Pleasantville, starting with having sex with one of the basketball players at Lover’s Lane during their date. After they did their thing, the basketball player drops Jen off at her house and starts driving away. He reaches a corner and what does he see? A red rose. Now, keep in mind, this show was based off of a 50’s show, so everything was in black and white. As soon as Jen started changing things and started showing people lust, change and uniqueness, people started gaining color. In one of the scenes, David has a date with a girl at Lover’s Lane and eats an apple off of a tree. Another reference to Adam and Eve.
    The TV repair man (God) noticed and told David to stop changing things around. David, string to break rules and get color, told him it was a good thing. While this is going on, people who like the old ways of black and white, turn racist. Yes, racist. They have conferences and say, no coloreds allowed, and ruin a diner because the cook expressed his artistic views, almost like people did when they segregated African Americans. Still, people with color still rebelled and listened to rock and roll, still kissed, and still did things that are against the rules. The mayor of Pleasantville gathers people of black and white together at a bowling alley, a man’s place to be, and says that they will finish this in a pleasant way, and stop this “monstrosity” from happening and continuing.
    The Mayor, a true believer of no change, sets a trial for Bud, saying that he ruined things and it was his entire fault. See, the Mayor bent his own rules. Jail and trials weren’t a thing in Pleasantville before David and Jen came. Bud told a heart touching story that changes is a good thing, and that everyone has potential. Everyone in the Jury turned into coloreds instead of being black and white, except for the mayor. Bud tried to make the mayor mad, making him feel emotions. He pushed and pushed the mayor to his boiling point, making the mayor yell, which turned him into a colored too. Embarrassed from being wrong and confused, the mayor ran out. Everyone in Pleasantville gathered around and realized that having color wasn’t a bad thing. David, knowing his true potential of helping people, decided it was time for him to go back to the real world. Jen finds her true place in Pleasantville and stays. David returns home and puts his learning experience to use with his emotionally broken mom.
    So, personally, I think the movie Pleasantville was a good interpretation of Adam and Eve. Yet it has its differences. For example, everything David and Jen did had a positive impact in the end, while Adam and Eve were punished for what they did. Yet, Pleasantville basically caught the essence of Adam and Eve. The changes made it unique. I enjoyed the movie. I think it was really nice. Yes, it had its “scenes”, but it wasn’t just about lust. It had a good moral story of balance and being yourself and learning your true colors.
  4. Feb 26, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The film Pleasantville is a story of a conformist boy, and his rebellious sister, that live in a less than perfect world. One day, when the boy is about to watch a marathon of a show that he is literally obsessed with (supposedly to win prize money, but I’m sure it’s just an excuse to watch his favorite show, but that’s beside the point), he realizes that her sister has a date and was planning on using the living room television. When they were fighting over their remote control, they end up tugging it too hard and they break it in half, rendering the television useless (apparently there were no controls on the box itself). Then, when it breaks, a TV repair man, comes in to their home from nowhere, and he gives them a replacement remote that he says “has a little extra kick to it” in succession to eerie lightning on a dark night, when this mysterious man comes in from nowhere, with a Deus Ex Machina to just solve all there problems, I’m sure the character Toby Maguire was portraying just thought, “This doesn’t smell fishy at all.”, and he went on his merry way. When they used this totally safe remote though, they magically flashed out of existence in the real world, and they somehow ended up in the fictitious black and white, perfect world of Pleasantville. Eventually though, they end up noticing some odd changes within the world.
    The story of Pleasantville, despite taking place in modern times (well, sort of), has a lot of similarities to the story of what happened in the Garden of Eden. Most of the similarities have to do with the similar themes on change, and the parallels between the original books, and Pleasantville’s plot. Such as the world going into color, in Eden Adam and Eve realized that they were naked, and in Pleasantville, people started to see color. There were also some similarities between the characters. The TV repair man was like this stories god, god put Adam and Eve in Eden, and the TV repair man put Bud and Mary sue in Pleasantville. Also there is Mary Sue; she plays the role of the snake, and of Eve. She causes change in the world of Pleasantville, and shechanges Bud, who takes on the role of Adam, and somewhat god as well, as he doesn’t want change. There is also similarities in the setting, Eden was a perfect place with no evil in it before the snake came in and changed everything, and Pleasantville was always… pleasant before Mary Sue came there and started causing change.
    Despite this, there are also a lot of differences, as Pleasantville is neither really an adaption, nor an interpretation of the beginning of genesis. In the story of Eden, change is not viewed as a good thing at all, but in Pleasantville, it is viewed as a good thing (although both of these happened under different circumstances where in Eden nothing had to change, but in Pleasantville, change was for the better both for the characters and the plot). There are also the obvious differences in the setting, and the time. The Pleasantville takes place in the 50’s, and Eden takes place at the beginning of humanity (although they are both secluded from the rest of the world and both... somewhat take place a long time ago… I suppose). Also, the main difference, which is the plot, and the way it’s told. Pleasantville is a lot more drawn out then the bible story, and tells the entire thing of what happened after the change in more detail, although I suppose what happened after is the entire rest of the old and new testaments, as well as you know… life. Still though, as I said before Pleasantville is not adapting the old bible story, it is simply mirroring some of the events and consequences through its own story.
    As you know if you’ve paid attention, the main plot consists of people getting sucked into a family sitcom; does that happen in the bible? Well, if you answered yes, then conglaturationYOU ARE AN OFFICIAL TROLL! So, no it does in no way emulate the story of the original. It does however, get the idea right, the story is well written, and follows the themes well. Also, it doesn’t only focus on mirroring Eden, it also deals with ideas such as discrimination in the great depression, and rebellion during the rock n roll era. There was even an allusion to the story “to kill a mocking bird” which I found interesting. Even early in the story, everyone was either a nerd, or a jock, later in the diner after color starts to appear, there is even a greaser, which were rebellious leather jacket wearers in the 50’s, that you’d probably meet in a gang (see grease or something, the main cast is a gang). Yeah so, even though it doesn’t follow Eden’s plot, it has its own story to follow.
    Also, the film uses symbols as a way to get it’s point across. Such as the main, and most obvious one, it’s use of color. Color represents change, and rebellion. One of the main colors, and the first one they used, red is a symbol that often represents, things that are rebellious, evil, devious, or sly, and impure as used in things such as animation, and other things. There is also other more subtle symbols in the film as well, such as rock n roll which was a rebellious and revolutionary music form, that many people disliked, as well as supported when it first started. Rock n roll was even called demonic by some churches at the time, and that may also be an indirect reference to the bible.
    So, to give my opinion on the film… I think it is great! Even if you ignore all the callbacks to other stories (which all had purpose by the way) it is still a great film, and stands on its own very well. It has great acting, such as Toby Maguire, who portrays Bud, he absolutely nails his roll and he is hilarious (he’s had practice I suppose, as he’s type cast as a nerd in almost every film he’s been in… which isn’t many for some odd reason). There is also the actor that plays the dad, I love how clueless he is all the time, such as when he yells “WHERE’S MY DINNER?!”. The story is very interesting as well, and even though the premise is a bit overdone, just people getting sucked into an alternate world has been used countless times (such as the page master), but Pleasantville does it in an interesting way, that is very humorous and interesting to watch. I think that despite all of its references to other works, and it’s inspiration it takes from other things, it is still a great story on its own without even knowing what it is referencing and is such an entertaining story. So, that is pretty much all I can say about Pleasantville without delving too far into a subject that might not even relate, because I do sometimes tend to ramble, such as this one time when I… never mind. Just enjoy this great film that I would probably recommend to several people.
  5. Feb 26, 2015
    Pleasantville!
    The two stories Genesis and Pleasantville have many similarity and differences. Comparing the story they have almost the same moral and almost same way of change. Without comparing the stories how we did. These two stories have a lot of similarities and differences.
    Pleasantville!
    Some similarities of the two stories are the themes “Change” and “Knowledge”. Change is something that happened in both stories but at different times. Change Is Important to these stories by giving the story a background. For example change caused the conflict in Pleasantville by changing people behavior and color. This caused conflict because Jennifer Added sex to the world of Pleasantville. This caused many distractions for the basketball team causing them to miss their shots. In the story of Genesis has immediate change when they eat the apple, there for they don’t get the perfect lifestyle anymore. The gain of Knowledge Is something in the stories, as the characters progressed farther in the story. Having the Knowledge in the stories made the outcome a lot different on how the viewer perceives it and how they would have. With the similarities there are also differences.
    In the two stories they have many opposing differences such as how they are presented and the meaning behind them. These two stories are presented differently fist off that one is a book and one is a movie, but besides that these stories are different by the time they were based and written. Pleasantville was set in a more modern time around the 1940’s to 1950’s while Genesis was written way back in the BCE. The meaning behind these stories where almost exactly opposite. While Genesis meant to be set up perfectly and should be kept that way, never to change. On the other side of things in Pleasantville is try to say don’t do what your “supposed” unless it’s necessary.
    The theme of this story was the effect little changes make big differences happen. Then this is put to the stories it makes them really similar. Using this theme makes the stories entertaining, and fun to watch/Read. Without the theme of each of these stories, I’m pretty sure that I would not understand the stories as well as I do now.
    Between the two stories the difference and the similarities really tie together. Both stories where entertaining but still had a meaning behind it. While these meaning maybe complete opposite ideas/meaning but they still have many similarities in quite a few words.
  6. Feb 26, 2015
    In this essay I’m going to talk about the similarity and differences about Pleasantville and the book of genesis .
    Similarities: the similarities are the movie is like the garden but they. Also the book is like the movie but they were not banished from Pleasantville. They ate apples in the book and movie. They both did not lessen to the person in charge.
    Differences: they were
    Differences: they were banished from the garden and in the movie they did not. Get banished. In the movie they were all the same in the end and in the book they were punished. In the end the girl went to college and in the book the were not in the garden.
    Say how well the director recreated the story: I believe it was a good reprintashon of the book
    Conclusion: Say whether or not others should watch it and why or read it: I suggest to read geniuses and watch it is a great movie
  7. Feb 26, 2015
    There are many differences in the movie Pleasantville and the story of Adam and Eve. There are also a large number of similarities. For example the core themes of both the story and the movie are similar but different. In the story of Adam and Eve change is show as a terrible thing, but in Pleasantville change is seen as an overall good thing. Now to start us off some of the majorThere are many differences in the movie Pleasantville and the story of Adam and Eve. There are also a large number of similarities. For example the core themes of both the story and the movie are similar but different. In the story of Adam and Eve change is show as a terrible thing, but in Pleasantville change is seen as an overall good thing. Now to start us off some of the major similarities.
    Some of the similarities are as follows: both of the stories have a man in power that hates change. In both cases eve and Mary sue is the catalyst of change for Adam. With both of the stories people in power were halting the pursuit of knowledge. In both of the stories neither of them really knew what to do with their time, which let’s be honest is just asking for trouble. But there are also a large number of differences in each story.
    Some of the major differences are as follows. In the story of Adam and Eve there was a third character that tempted both Adam and Eve. In Pleasantville Eve aka Mary sue was the temptress. In Pleasantville Bud and Mary sue were put into their “Eden” against their will, and they wanted to leave right away. Last but not least in the movie Pleasantville the change was very gradual and in the story of Adam and Eve the change was like BAM BOOM now you know good and evil. But let’s see how the movie stood on its own two legs as a movie.
    Pleasantville overall was a good movie for people of all ages to watch. It had a clear story arc that a child could follow. It had a villain you could easily hate and a hero you could rally behind without a moment hesitation. But it still made you think about everything that happened. There was a lot of hidden meanings and foreshadowing up the wazoo. But it tied that all together very well in a way that still made a good movie.
    Is conclusion the movie Pleasantville was an ok representation of Adam and Eve’s story because there were so many differences between the two stories Pleasantville it holds up a lot better as a standalone project. It holds up as a standalone project a lot better because of the differing themes. You may be saying well that’s just one thing well I submit this to you the theme is the core ideal the thing that author is trying to say with the story. What’s more important than that? The movie was pleasant to watch and I would recommend it to all ages.
  8. Oct 2, 2013
    Offering up some fantastic visual disparities, some forthright cultural criticism, and a bounty of dramedic moments, "Pleasantville" surmounts a rocky first fifteen minutes and ultimately sails into the boundaries of a fantastic work of art.
  9. Feb 26, 2015
    Pleasantville and the reading from genesis have many differences and similarities. In this essay I will give my own review on the movie and explain those differences and similarities. Both the movie and the reading have much to write to about so sit back, and relax.
    Well to start off if you didn't know the movie is a representation of the reading but told in its own way, The Garden of Eden turned into a town with people who are perfect. Adam represented by a character named Bud and Eve represented by a character named Mary Sue. So Pleasantville the Garden of Eden in the way where nothing is bad and everything is perfect. This is something big in the story except for The Garden of Eden doesn't turn out that way. Pleasantville, even after tampered with, turns out to still be perfect.
    Another similarity between the movie and the story are the characters. Bud and Mary Sue are extremely similar to Adam and Eve. People are meant to change the way they live for example, Mary sue and Bud changed Pleasantville by adding color. A difference between the two are the fact that Eve is obedient until she was persuaded to do what was wrong unlike Mary Sue who was naturally bad until the end of the movie where she reads the books and puts on the glasses then becomes like everyone else.
    Also a difference between the story and the movie is that Pleasantville was meant to change the way it was it was meant to have color meant to change instead of perfect it turned into working their way to perfection. In the story the Garden of Eden was not meant to change it was meant to be perfect it should never change yet when Eve took a bite out of the apple God decided to kick both Adam and Eve from the Garden of Eden and look elsewhere for salvation.
    Finally my thoughts on the way the director portrayed the story in the movie was not bad at all, yes there where some places where the movie could use some improvement but all in all it wasn't bad. For example they could have used a better way to show that it can be a bad thing messing with people’s life, but other than that I did think the director did a good job on the portrayal of the story of the Garden of Eden. The movie did have a lot of major differences and similarities, but in all I did like the movie I enjoyed the character build and the story line, finally the rating 9.5/10
  10. Feb 26, 2015
    Pleasantville critique/review
    By Tyler Abdill
    In the movie there are hidden allusions to the story of Adam and Eve. In general it’s like the two stories were merged together. I say this because there are things that relate Pleasantville to the story of Adam and Eve. Yet there are things that differentiate the two stories. The similarities are very subtle things such as the fact that
    Pleasantville critique/review
    By Tyler Abdill

The similarities are very subtle things such as the fact that Daniel’s girlfriend and Eve get Adam/Daniel to eat the apple, or that Daniel is basically Adam and Daniel’s girlfriend is basically Eve. Another similarity is once they eat the apple they fully gain knowledge of good and evil. A lot of the similarities could go unnoticed if you don’t know where to look or if you haven’t read the story of Adam and Eve.

The major difference is that Pleasantville is a TV series/movie and the story of Adam and Eve is well… you know a story. Besides that Pleasantville is not only in black and white but in color as well. Another difference is that in Pleasantville change is good for them, but in the story of Adam and Eve change is bad for them. This may because in the story of Adam and Eve they had it all everything was perfect, yet in Pleasantville everything seams perfect but it’s not.

That being said it is one of the things I didn’t really like or dislike about the movie. In general I didn’t exactly care about the movie, because it was just for school and not as something I chose on my own. That aside it was decent, I did like the idea of being sucked into a TV show. It was a bit dramatic though.

I really disliked all that drama. If it were targeting people a lot like me then the author would need to remove at least some of the drama. Another thing I didn’t like was the fact that Daniel and his sister didn’t get their own characters or didn’t exactly fit their characters.

Well that’s all I have to say about this movie,
    Please don’t troll me because I don’t care as long as you don’t edit!

YOU EDIT YOU DIE!
    SINCERELY TYLER ABDILL.
  11. Apr 28, 2014
    A re-watch of PLEASANTVILLE from writer-director Gary Ross (THE HUNGER GAMES 2012, 7/10) is as pleasant as it the title suggests, a really novel cautionary tale coated with a profound satire milieu. It is a golden idea to juxtapose monochrome with colourful graduation concurring with the evolving storyline. A present-day (1990s) high school siblings David (Maguire) and JenniferA re-watch of PLEASANTVILLE from writer-director Gary Ross (THE HUNGER GAMES 2012, 7/10) is as pleasant as it the title suggests, a really novel cautionary tale coated with a profound satire milieu. It is a golden idea to juxtapose monochrome with colourful graduation concurring with the evolving storyline. A present-day (1990s) high school siblings David (Maguire) and Jennifer (Witherspoon) have been transported inside their TV, as Bud and Mary Sue, the children of George and Betty Parker (H. Macy and Allen), living in a small black & white town called Pleasantville, based on a sitcom of 1950s where all its residents are also exclusively black and white and comport themselves in a monotonous harmony with storybook unconsciousness of their own feelings, books are blank, toilets are empty spaces, basket-shooting accuracy is 100%, fire and rain are non-existent, parents never hear about sex, the lovey-dovey Lovers’ Lane is the place where young couples go for holding hands.

read rest of the review at my blog, google cinema omnivore.
  12. Feb 26, 2015
    Pleasantville review
    Pleasantville review
    Pleasantville is a movie about two twins who get sucked into a tv show called Pleasantville where everything is perfect and white. There is no color and everything is perfect, with lots of food and everyone wins. There is no sex and no violence. Then change happened and color appeared. This story reflects that of Adam and Eve with the element of change. There are subtle references made in the film as well.
    The similarities between the two stories are there. One similarity is when the girl picked an apple and bit it. They even show a picture of Adam and eve in the art book. The biggest similarity is the element of change. The changes caused color to appear and a lot of things happened. The people started to learn more about the world and did things with their lives like how the diner owner became an artist. The two main characters go to a perfect world and change it. This basic idea is very clear in the film.
    The differences between stories are there as well. One difference is instead of husband and wife our main characters are twins. Another difference is that when they cause change color appears. And the main difference is the overall message of change. In Adam and Eve change and knowledge was a horrible bad thing that should never exist and happen. In Pleasantville change can be for the better. Pleasantville has a much stronger message as well, being it saying that change can be a good thing and is a part of life.
    In my opinion Pleasantville was a pretty good movie. It taught a really good message and was very entertaining. Unlike Adam and Eve the moral and story makes sense and teaches that change isn’t a bad thing. Change can bring balance in the world. That’s why I prefer Pleasantville over Adam and Eve. Pleasantville’s message is a message that more people need to see. The biggest example in real life is gay marriage and how people say its going to ruin society.
    So the movie is one I recommend for people of all ages. There may be sexual themes but it’s a good movie nonetheless and is entertaining. It represents Adam and Eve better than the original story it was based off of. Pleasantville is a fun story and I recommend you check it out.
  13. Feb 26, 2015
    The Garden of Pleasantville
    The Garden of Pleasantville
    (SPOILER ALERT) The film “Pleasantville” is the story of two teenagers, David (conformist), and Jennifer (rebellious), who get themselves into a mess. There is a marathon on TV of David’s favorite show, and a contest to win 1,000 dollars, but Jennifer has a date with a guy to watch a concert on the TV. David and Jennifer fight over the remote and break it. The TV repair man knocks at the door and gives them a remote. They fight again and both get sucked into the show. Jennifer starts to rebel and starts changing the nature of Pleasantville. David doesn't agree with what Jennifer is doing and tries to keep things the way they were, but eventually starts giving in and changes things as well. Pleasantville witch starts out as a “perfect” black and white world changes to a society of free will and color. David, who starts out as a conforming guy, adds a bit of rebellion into his life. Jessica, who starts out as a rebellious girl, eventually goes to college and adds conformity into her life.
    Pleasantville is compared to the Garden of Eden and the story of Adam and Eve. There are many similar things about the two stories. In the both stories there is a bigger man in power. In the story of Adam and Eve, Eve is the one who rebels against God, while in Pleasantville Jennifer is the rebellious one. Adam is also the one conforming until he is tempted by Eve and in Pleasantville David is tempted by Jennifer to rebel. Overall there are many similarities.
    Although there are many comparisons, there is also many differences. In the story of Adam and Eve there is the serpent that gives Eve the temptation to eat the apple, but in Pleasantville Jennifer is already rebellious on her own. In the story of Adam and Eve, after they rebel and eat the apple from the forbidden tree on knowledge the world is instantly messed up, but in Pleasantville there is a gradual change between the changes. Another major difference between the stories is that in genesis rebellion doomed everyone for the rest of eternity, but in Pleasantville the rebellion is a change for the better.
    I do enjoy this movie overall. They put in many symbolism that make you think and make connections with outside life. The movie also has many humorous moments that will make you bust out laughing. It will have you clinching your teeth and wondering what’s going to happen next. I highly recommend watching this movie and enjoy just as I have.
  14. Feb 26, 2015
    In this review I want to talk about how I compare and don’t compare how Pleasantville & Adam & Eve are the same in almost every way.
    The similarities with the Adam & Eve Story & Pleasantville might have the same idea, but have different morals. For example when Mary Sue and her boyfriend went to Lover’s Lane, she taught him how to have sex. Then the next day, he told his friends about it and then they all went to Lover’s Lane with their girlfriends and started to have sex. In Adam & Eve, things were a bit different. When Eve was attempted to eat an apple off the tree, she tried hard to let herself to not eat one, but the serpent from the tree tricked her into eating one, then she got Adam to eat an apple also. And when God came down to earth, he was very upset and mad at both Adam & Eve for eating the apples. So they had to payed the price and had to leave the garden and learn to survive in the desert on their own, But in the end they learned from their mistakes and lived their lives on.
    In think the easiest way to explain how these things are both different is that Pleasantville is mostly about how two people who changed a lot of things in a town that was so meant to be “pleasant” and not “unpleasant” and Adam & Eve is about two people who live in a Garden that learn to grow and harvest crops, but in the end they end up living in the hot desert because of what they did wrong.
    In my opinion I think yes because of the fact that in the movie both Mary and Bud changed some much about alot of things that they to make the best out of it and fix what they did wrong. In Adam & Eve they had to leave the Garden to live in a hot desert. In the end they learned to make life best by having children and learning to survive in that climate.
    Honestly if you’re a really good Christin, then I would recommend to not watch this, based on the fact that it will either offend you or be deceiving to you, but if you like really good movies that have a good plot twist, then I would recommend that you choose this movie next to watch on your list.
  15. Feb 26, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. In Movies and stories there will often be some similarities and some differences. The story of Genesis is often used in movies but is changed slightly too where it gives hints and clues that give the viewer an insight idea of what the meaning is. Often in movies an object such as an Apple can make a slight connection or hint to what its interpretation is in the story. In movies there will be audio and visual cues that were told or explained in the books or novels.
    In Pleasantville there were a lot of connections and similarities to the book of Genesis. In Pleasantville there was a TV repair man who showed up right after David and Jennifer broke the TV remote, after they broke the remote he gave them a new remote that looked like something from the future. The TV repair man symbolizes and represents God. The TV repair man sent David and Jennifer into Pleasantville with the intention of David living out his favorite TV show but he did not think that they would end up changing Pleasantville completely. In Pleasantville Lovers Lane symbolizes The Garden of Eden. The surrounding and area of lovers lane really connects to the description of the Garden of Eden and its role in the story of Genesis. During this time in Lovers lane David’s girlfriend notices the changes in Pleasantville and notices a red apple on the grey colored tree and picks it off and hands it to David. David’s girlfriend giving David the apple symbolizes Eve giving Adam the apple from the tree of wisdom.
    Now In the movie there were differences as there were similarities that symbolized and represented the story of Genesis. In Pleasantville change was a good thing to the people of Pleasantville. In Genesis it was considered a bad thing and wasn’t necessarily wanted. God told Adam that he could eat any fruit in the garden except for the fruit on the tree of Wisdom. Being told that he could eat any fruit in the garden but not from the tree symbolizes the TV repair man allowing David to go into his favorite TV show and living out the life as bud but telling him that he couldn’t change anything while he was in the show. In the end of Pleasantville everyone in Pleasantville was happy and enjoyed being in a changed colored world. In The end of Genesis Adam and Eve were banned from the garden because they disobeyed God, God banished them from the Garden and they were sent to live somewhat happily ever after.
    The Directors overall interpretation of the film was that change is a good thing. In both stories all of the characters changed in their own way. For example David was no longer a shy quiet kid; Jennifer was no longer a rebel. Adam and Eve were both smart but rebellious for disobeying God. The director tried to get as many interpretations as he could from the story of Genesis. For example he used Lovers lane to represent the Garden of Eden because they both had deceiving moments in both stories.
    I thought this was an overall good interpretation of the story of Genesis it had a lot of connections and representations. In the end the overall message it leaves you with is change. Change is good and sometimes change can be for the greater good. The movie had a lot of imagery and visual cues that gave the viewer hints and was done very well by the director. I thought this movie was well written and an overall good movie and I enjoyed watching it. There is also a life lesson to be learned from this movie and that is that one little decision or choice you make can change your whole future.
  16. Feb 26, 2015
    Most films made are adaptations or reinterpretations of a novel or existing film. It may seem like making them would be simple. But they all come with a set of complications. Directors could incidentally change main parts of the story, or change parts on purpose, and change the entire story, making movie critics all over the world disappointed or glad about the changes to the story.
    While
    While watching Pleasantville I thought it was a simple film about change because everything was changing to the opposite of what it started at. But after looking at it closely I realized it’s actually a reinterpretation of the story of Adam and Eve, and like all films it came with its set of complications.
    For the film to be a reinterpretation of the story it has to have similarities. In both there were two main characters. In Pleasantville David is the obedient character who is Adam; Jennifer is the rebel who is Eve. David and Adam both wanted to follow the rules and avoid trouble, but in the end they both broke a rule. Jennifer would break most rules and not care about the consequences; Eve was easily tempted into breaking a rule without thinking about its effect. By the end they both realized that you should think of what consequences your actions will have before acting. The quiet calm, Pleasantville is the quiet and beautiful garden in Adam and Eve. In both stories an apple is the main object, but they symbolize something different. The themes in both stories are change and knowledge. In both, the setting, personalities of characters, and knowledge known, changed throughout the story.
    Differences are what changed the messages of the stories. People in Pleasantville and Adam and Eve all started out not knowing about anything other than the place they were in. In Pleasantville Jennifer and David introduce knowledge to everyone. The knowledge is not wanted by all, some think it is bad, but in the end it makes Pleasantville better. In the garden a serpent convinces Eve to eat an apple from the forbidden tree. She then convinces Adam to also eat and apple. The apple gives both of them knowledge. For them their lives did not improve. They gained knowledge, but lost their trust to god and were punished and banished from the garden for breaking their only rule: to not eat from the forbidden tree. In Pleasantville the apple represents goodness and knowledge. In Adam and Eve it represents dangerous, forbidden, and goodness. The messages from both stories are the opposite of each other. The message from Adam and Eve is that increase in knowledge and change is not good, that it should not happen. The message from Pleasantville is that increase in knowledge and change is good, that they are important and should happen.
    Pleasantville does have similarities to the story of Adam and Eve. But it has more differences. I think that it is not a good reinterpretation of Adam and Eve because the main parts, the apple and the message, are not the same. I believe that in order for the story to be a reinterpretation its message has to be identical to the original. If the message is not the same, the tone and mood change, making the entire story different. Pleasantville’s message is the opposite of Adam and Eve’s, and the apples also represent the opposite making Pleasantville a new different story. It is still an interpretation of the story, but not one that I would approve of.
  17. Feb 26, 2015
    There are many similarities and differences between the film Pleasantville and the story of Adam and Eve. For those who have seen the film but missed the connections will now fully understand the similarities and the differences between the message, tone, and cause of the conflict. There are about the same amount of similarities and differences between the two. The director attempted toThere are many similarities and differences between the film Pleasantville and the story of Adam and Eve. For those who have seen the film but missed the connections will now fully understand the similarities and the differences between the message, tone, and cause of the conflict. There are about the same amount of similarities and differences between the two. The director attempted to interpret the film based on the story and may a done a decent job with it. There are also good characters who interpret in such a good way that it makes them both seem like they’re the same thing, although there’re not.
    The similarities between the film and the story are that they both have a very similar core theme which was rebellious. In the story, Eve disobeyed God by eating an apple from The Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil. In the film, Bud and Mary-Sue went to a different world and, especially Mary-Sue, rebelled by changing people to who they really were inside however; they didn’t really want to show that side of them, but that didn’t stop her just like how Eve didn’t stop the serpent from tempting her. Mary-Sue had the same characteristics as Eve. Bud would be considered calm and a going-with-the-flow type of guy. Adam has the same characteristics as Bud because they both didn’t cause any trouble until they realized that they’ve broken the rules because of temptation and they didn’t have a choice. One last similarity would be the setting. Both places in Pleasantville and The Garden of Eden are pure paradise unless someone or something interferes with one of them. That explains the similarities between Pleasantville and the story of Adam and Eve. There similarities make them feel the same but they may not have the same overall themes, messages, etc.
    However, there are also many differences between the film and the story. For example, the messages between the two are different. The message in the film was to listen and follow who you are and who you were created to be. The message in the story was to obey God or whoever is in charge. One other difference is the tone. In the film, the tone was to accept who you are. All the characters tried to hide who they really were once they found out. The tone in the story was obedience. God told Adam and Eve not to eat from the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil but Eve let the serpent tempt her into eating it. The causes of the conflicts were also different. In the film, the conflict was caused by people trying to hide who they really were and in the story the conflict was caused by the serpent tempting them. Both conflicts were very hard to avoid. All of the differences make the two not so similar in some cases.
    The director interpreted the story in an okay way. One reason for that is because Mary-Sue was always a rebel but Eve wasn’t until the end. His strongest interpretation was the scene when Bud and Margret were next to the pond and the beautiful scenery. Margret picked an apple and ate it. She gave some to Bud, too! I feel that when there are scenes that are mostly the same then it’s a very strong interpretation. The interpretation is just okay because there is not an official antagonist in the film but in the story there was.
    That explains the similarities, differences between the message, tone, and the cause of conflict, as well as how strong the directors interpreted the story. They have the amount of similarities and differences. The cause of the conflict can be similar in some ways such as when people interfere with someone’s life like how Bud and Mary-Sue did. The serpent also interfered with Adam and Eve while they were in the Garden of Eden. In both of these stories, the conflict was caused only when something came into someone’s life. The overall interpretation of the story was just okay because there were interpretations that weren’t very similar. One example would be when people would do the same exact thing over and over again. In the story they are free to do whatever they want but in the film they were restricted. The fact that the characters were pretty much had the same characteristics makes it feel like it is the same thing!
  18. Feb 26, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. 2/26/15
    English
    p4
    Pleasantville, final draft
    In this review I will be talking about Pleasantville the movie and the old story Adam and eve. The movie Pleasantville is like Adam and eve in a new view of the story. Good news there is no snake in Pleasantville but there is in Adam and eve. In both stories they do have a boy and a girl that cause trouble. Plus I will put in my own opinion in the two stories.
    The story Adam and eve is a story about following rules and obeying people in power. In Pleasantville it is a story on disobeying the rules not following people in power and that is a good thing. The boy and the girl in Pleasantville are like yen and yang to get color you must rebel on who you were told to be in live. In the story Adam and eve one interpretation of this story is on how the girl did all the bad things and the man was the innocent person that trusted someone.
    There are a lot of similarities too, in the stories that are really hard to see. Like the snake in Adam and eve the snake knew what would happen to eve and Adam if they ate the apple but if you think of marry sue as the snake. It is very interesting when you think that way on how she tempted everyone to break the rules and do something different. Bud was like Adam wanting to follow the rules and be good, helpful, and nice. His character only changed when he did something bad to save someone the complete opposite of who he was supposed to be.
    The messages in the stories are not the same as in Adam and eve the message is don’t break the rules. In the movie Pleasantville the message was breaking the rules is sometimes a good thing to do. Plus the ending was different as Adam and eve were banish to earth, marry sue and bud had it ok as marry sue went to go get an education and bud went home. In the old story thing happened very fast one moment they were in the Garden of Eden then POOF on earth working hard to live and not happy. In the movie things happened very slowly as there was a fight and a vote, disagreements on all sides, unfairness.
    In my opinion I like the movie the message to me was awesome and it was very entertaining. I like the different symbols that were waved into the story. It puts a fresh idea on a old story, I like the main characters a lot. The movie talks about what happens in history and how people were races. Watch the movie its cool I hope you enjoyed reading this have a nice day.
  19. Feb 26, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Pleasantville is a movie about two teenage twins named David and Jennifer who get sucked into a 50’s TV show called Pleasantville. The two messes up the people of Pleasantville’s world and it starts to go into color. They may have not fixed the world but they got the people to be able to live with it. One thing that I noticed is that Pleasantville has similarities and differences to the story of Adam and Eve. One thing is that a lot of other films haves its similarities too. A lot of people are talking about how the director is pulling a lot from the story. That may be the case but it’s a short story and it can be easily get taken from without meaning too.
    . A similarity is the scene with David and his date in lover’s lane. In the scene David’s girlfriend ran to a tree, took an apple off of it, took a bite, and feed it to her boyfriend. Still not convinced? Here is another one for you. Both stories brought huge changes to the world. Only good was seen in both stories but evil and bad things soon appear because Adam and Eve bite the apple and Jennifer started sleeping with a basketball and he started telling his friends about it while David without meaning too made changes by some of the things he said.
    While it has its similarities it also has its differences. One big one is that Pleasantville had more than four characters in the story. Another is that Pleasantville takes place in a town and not a garden. The main characters are brother and sister while Adam and Eve are lovers. God in Pleasantville was an old repairman who forgives David and Jennifer while God in Adam and Eve got angry with them and banished them from the Garden of Eden.
    I felt that Pleasantville had similarities to Adam and Eve but any story really has similarities too it. It’s a common story and its only two pages long (depending where you read it)! I’m not going to say if the director did well following the story or not since any story can have its own similarities too it without meaning to and I’m not saying it was bad for not having the exact details in it. The story doesn't have a lot it in so other books or movies can have similarities to it. The movie was good but I’m not gonna go compare it to how good Adam and Eve was since I could easily pull out any other movie and go find similarities too it.
  20. Feb 26, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Pleasantville
    When the two siblings went into Pleasantville. They were playing as David and Jennifer. The firefighter doesn't know anything about a fire, but they do know something about saving a cat from the tree though. When they first saw color, it was like the 60’s. They didn't want the colored people to do anything. They only wanted the black and white people to do stuff.
    When Adam was created by God. He told Adam to sleep. Then God took a rib from Adam and made Eve out of his rib. Eve was a bad girl and Adam was one to. While Eve was looking for Adam, Adam was making some clothes for them. When Eve gave Adam the apple, God turned Eve into a spider and he turned Adam into a snake.
    Eve and Mary Sue took an apple from a tree and gave it to Adam and David. The tree from the bible was the tree from good and evil. The tree from Pleasantville is the tree of lovers.
    What I liked about the movie was when they saw their true selves. When they saw their true selves they were surprise. They saw to see things better and started to see color. The non-colored people didn't see their true selves because they were scared to. But the colored people weren't scared to show their true selves.
    What I don’t like about was the firefighters didn't know what to do when there’s a fire. The judge didn't like to see what was going on. They were showing their true selves and the judge didn't like it and that’s all I have to say of what I liked and didn't about the movie.
  21. Feb 26, 2015
    A great movie for teaching students themes and messages that will resonate with them, such as the difference between purposeless and purposeful conformity and rebellion. Also a great movie for English teachers to use to teach allegory, symbolism and allusion as well as help students practice elements of literary analysis in a fun and more accessible manner. It has some rough spots and theA great movie for teaching students themes and messages that will resonate with them, such as the difference between purposeless and purposeful conformity and rebellion. Also a great movie for English teachers to use to teach allegory, symbolism and allusion as well as help students practice elements of literary analysis in a fun and more accessible manner. It has some rough spots and the viewer is sometimes forced to suspend disbelief, but from a teacher's point of view, this movie is a perfect 10. Expand
  22. Feb 26, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. So, overall, my reaction and feelings towards this movie are, “eh.” Why? Because I generally don’t feel right about these kinds of stories. Yeah, there were some pretty cool, quirky, and down right weird moments in this movie, but you know what? It was executed well. Even though these kind of “replace the main characters” stories confuse me, due to the name changes and everything. What do I call them? That’s a problem I have with these movies. I’m sorry, but when a couple of characters are in a story and replace two people it confuses me. Also where did the previous two go? It would’ve been a little more interesting if the writer and director decided to place them in there separately as individual characters. There is one thing I liked, and that’s the little tidbit with Mary Sue. It’s a nice touch of fandonism in there. Oh yeah, and how Jenni changes. Something I notice with Jenni though is that at first, she seems like a stereotype, but then develops into a full character. Jenni’s is a little rushed, however. She just puts on a pair of glasses and gets in touch with her intellectual side. David’s is perfectly paced, and when it reveals, it actually shows. Although with Jenni’s colors, it’s gradual, when David gets his, it’s just BOOM INSTANT. Other than that, I just kinda shrugged my shoulders. The characters are well developed, it connects well with the source material, and it has symbolism and means stuff. Expand
  23. Feb 26, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Pleasantville Paragraph by DC
    2-26-15
    English 9
    3rd Period
    Pleasantville Movie review
    I think Pleasantville was a good adaption of the story of Adam and Eve. Like in Adam and Eve the girl took the apple first and took a bite of the apple first. Adam then took a bite of the apple after. With the black and white, the director completely captured the essence of Pleasantville: simple and boring. I like how the repair man played the role of God in this. Sometimes change is good and sometimes it’s not.
    Like how I mentioned the repair man represented God, I kind of got offended by this. I’m a strong Christian and they portray him as mad. He is not a mad GOD. This might offend some people by me saying this. Other would argue he seems harsh and unjust. But I believe he is a loving and generous God. People can very much enjoy this movie even though it kind of warps the original story. But before we get into religion, I enjoyed how each character gained color after they found their calling. Bud gained color after he helped his mother from those bad boys. I believe he traveled through a portal to NYC and became Spider-Man.
    The direction in this movie was just spot on. The allusion to Adam and Eve was genius. The writer, director, and actors probably took a long time to prepare for this. It was truly a smart film. Reese Witherspoon and Tobey Maguire give performances that steal the show.
    The characteristics of Adam in Pleasantville were pretty much similar to the story of Adam and Eve because Bud wanted to play by the rules all the time but then fell eventually. Jennifer was kind of the rebel but towards the end of the film, she discovered that’s what she doesn’t want to do that for her whole life. The mom of Bud was also a very deep character. She displayed characteristics of pain, grief, change, and power.
    In conclusion, Pleasantville was a great movie and okay adaption of the story of Adam and Eve. Adam and Eve was a great story of creation. Pleasantville was a great film and it really spoke to me.
  24. Feb 26, 2015
    Adam and Eve is a very old story that is well known to everybody. Many stories and other types of media have taken heavy inspiration from the story that originated in the Bible. One of the many movies that have taken the inspiration is the movie Pleasantville. In the movie, Adam and Eve are never mentioned at all. The only think we have to guess that it took inspiration from the story isAdam and Eve is a very old story that is well known to everybody. Many stories and other types of media have taken heavy inspiration from the story that originated in the Bible. One of the many movies that have taken the inspiration is the movie Pleasantville. In the movie, Adam and Eve are never mentioned at all. The only think we have to guess that it took inspiration from the story is the same basic theme. While both shares a main theme of sorts, each has certain messages that they attempt to get across to their respected audiences.
    Even though they share a general theme, a lot of the main points and messages are different. In Adam and Eve, God created Adam and Eve and placed them into the world. He told them they could do whatever they wanted as long as they did not eat an apple from the tree of knowledge. Originally they were not going to eat the apple, but then the Devil in the form of a snack tricked Eve into eating the apple, forcing Adam and Eve to disobey God’s only order. In Pleasantville, David and Jennifer get stuck in a different world than where they are from. There are already several people living in the town when they arrive. Also when they arrive, they are given no certain instructions of what to do and what not to do. Jennifer does not like how everyone is perfect and does everything the same way. She starts to add color to the world and change how people act.
    The similarities between the two stories make it seem like the director was taking heavy inspiration from the story of Adam and Eve. In both stories, a man and a woman are placed in a world that they really know nothing about. In both of them, they are given simple rules that they have to follow but end up breaking the rules. The apple is represented in both stories as a sign of disobedience, in Adam and Eve it represents them not listening to God and in Pleasantville it represents them changing the world they are in. The main similarity between the two stories is the main idea and theme. The main theme of the stories has to do with change and how important it is to sometimes go against the rules.
    In my opinion, the producer of the movie did a good job of making the movie Pleasantville. Not once throughout the movie did the producer actually mention Adam and Eve in any way. He just used several amounts of symbolisms to reference Adam and Eve. It is clear that this movie was meant to be a more modern story of the Bible story. I think it is a good thing that they never actually talked about Adam and Eve and never brought it up. It makes the audience think more about what the movie is trying to say. In my opinion, the producer and director did a good job with creating this movie and did a good job of making it like Adam and Eve, but allowing it to be its own story.
    The story of Adam and Eve and the movie “Pleasantville” had several differences and similarities. The old story is well known to everyone and has had several adaptations in other stories and movies. One of the many to do so was the movie Pleasantville. But there where so many differences in the movie that it felt like it was an original story. It took heavy inspiration from the old Biblical story and in a good way. In my opinion, the movie was a good adaptation of the story of Adam and Eve.
  25. Feb 26, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Pleasantville Movie Review
    Pleasantville is a movie that is parallel to the Bible story of Adam and Eve. In this assignment, I will be explaining the similarities, the differences and my critique on the movie and the original story.
    Pleasantville has many similarities when compared to the story of Adam and Eve, but in different ways. They have similar settings because in Pleasantville, everything was simple and without sin, and it’s the same in the Bible story. In Pleasantville, there are animals and there are also animals in the Bible. The characters enter the world by being placed there by God or the TV repair man. Sin is introduced into the world by the characters and it changes everything.
    The characters are also similar in their own ways. Bud, or David, is the same as Adam from the Bible because of their characteristics. Bud really doesn’t try to change anything in the world like Adam. They also start off as whole of something or filled with too much of something else. For Bud, he is filled with being a nerd or obsessed with television while Adam is filled with purity or cleanliness. Jennifer, or Mary Sue, is also like Eve from the Bible. She is rebellious and doesn’t follow rules but not in the same way. Jennifer is rebellious because she is full of sin and she teaches Pleasantville how to have sex and teaches the parents of self-pleasure. Eve is also the same way. She introduces sin into the world, but not intentionally, by eating the forbidden fruit. She teaches it to the world by giving it also to her husband, Adam. The TV repair man is also the same as God from the Bible. He acts as a god controlling Pleasantville and he also gets mad at Jennifer and Bud for changing everything and changing themselves, the same as God in the Bible.

These two stories also have their fair amount of differences between each other. Pleasantville is set in the future after the Bible story. The characters in Pleasantville are brother and sister while in the Bible they are married. Jennifer changes the world by introducing sin but she does consciously and she knows what she is doing while Eve is tricked by Satan into eating the forbidden fruit and she doesn't know of what she does. The TV repair man who acted like a god couldn’t really make any changes. He tried to make the Bud and Jennifer come back to the real world but they stayed and he really didn’t have power. But God in the Bible has power and when he doesn’t like their sin, he kicks them out of the Garden of Eden and they can’t fight back or stay. In the movie, there are people other than the main characters and in the Bible, there are no other humans but only animals. In Pleasantville, there are buildings while there aren’t any buildings in the Bible. The themes are also different. Change, sin, and rebellion are looked on as a positive thing in Pleasantville while they are viewed as negative things in the Bible. The message in the Bible is that sin is bad while in the movie, change is good.
    I think the director did a good job with his interpretation of the movie because it stuck to the core theme, setting, and characters but he gave it his own twist. It had the same plot of the story but in the movie, everything seems better and happier as opposed to in the Bible as change is viewed as a bad thing. He also went much into detail of the sin and change going on in the world and how everything reacted to it. He included what sins or changes they were doing like sex, reading, color, self-pleasure etc. They are the same as In the Bible but he goes specifically into detail with it.
    The two stories have both their similarities and differences but the director of Pleasantville told it in his own unique way. He gives it his own twist by having a good ending and everyone's lives are better and happier. I do think it is a good representation of the original Bible story because it sticks to the core theme, setting and characters but they are changed throughout the story.
  26. Feb 26, 2015
    Most movies are adaptations of another idea or story. In this case, Pleasant Ville is an adaptation of Adam and Eve. The movie was directed to be symbolic and artsy for the purpose of showing the Adam and Eve story. Here and there, some tweaks were movie, but still will show the similarities between the two.
    The overall themes in Adam and Eve are kept and used truly in Pleasant Ville.
    The overall themes in Adam and Eve are kept and used truly in Pleasant Ville. Themes include change, rebellion, and curiosity. Change is shown by the people’s attitudes changing, color developing, and emotions. Rebellion is shown by the acts people do based on the changes. Lastly, curiosity is the people exploring new things with their feelings, emotions, interests, etc.
    The characters in Adam and Eve are the inspirations for Jennifer and David. Both Jennifer and Eve are rebellious and curious. Adam and David are both followers. The TV repairman represents God, when in Genesis, God is God. The characters are most key in the process of retelling a story because they have to stay true to the original.
    The settings are entirely different in the movie than In Genesis. Genesis is back in BCE times. Pleasant Ville is set in the 1950’s. The purposes of these differences are to re tell Genesis in a different society and time period. Besides the setting, most things in Pleasant Ville stay quite true to Genesis.
    Overall, Pleasant Ville is a great adaptation of Genesis. The Director symbolically retells the story of Adam and Eve very well. For ratings, I would give Pleasant Vile 4 out of 5. Other Professional critiques would agree or even give it a straight 5 out of 5. It’s an artsy well directed film.
  27. Feb 26, 2015
    Pleasantville & Genesis
    R A P
    2/25/15 I think they need to make a second part to the movie but one thing I liked is was how they went from color to black and white to color and used a lot of attention that I did not expect but it was a whole lot better than I thought it was going to be. I did not like the way they were treating people like saying that there color and not treating each
    Pleasantville & Genesis
    R A P
    2/25/15
    I think they need to make a second part to the movie but one thing I liked is was how they went from color to black and white to color and used a lot of attention that I did not expect but it was a whole lot better than I thought it was going to be. I did not like the way they were treating people like saying that there color and not treating each other people with respect that was messed up until they all turned to color and nobody was ashamed but one person that would be a big difference if nobody was treated wrong or disrespect wrong

They are similar in many ways also in a way that is a simple thing to do and it well all ways be there to help people in many different ways.

There different because Pleasantville goes to a black and white movie and turns everything color and on the other hand Adam and eve they go and eat the apple on the tree.

He made it so it can relate to Adam and Eve at the same rate with Pleasantville and Adam and Eve it well always be the same.

Yes maybe to inspire them with Pleasantville and Adam and Eve or to make them understand that doesn’t matter who you are.
  28. Feb 26, 2015
    My conclusion is how they both changed like in Pleasantville Bud changed everything but Bud thought it was Jennifer that was changing everything. So Bud kept on talking to Jennifer about how not to change the story. In Adam and Eve they ate a apple that changed the story and it became sexual. In the movie there were some conclusions like how they bit into the apple and changed the storyMy conclusion is how they both changed like in Pleasantville Bud changed everything but Bud thought it was Jennifer that was changing everything. So Bud kept on talking to Jennifer about how not to change the story. In Adam and Eve they ate a apple that changed the story and it became sexual. In the movie there were some conclusions like how they bit into the apple and changed the story and the movie.
    In Adam and Eve the story was mostly about sexual things that were going on than in the movie Pleasantville. In the movie Pleasantville it was how Bud changed everything and not Jennifer cause Bud was the one who tuned the movie into color. In the story everyone was alright like there were no complaints about what was going on.
    In Pleasantville everything was going wrong everyone was starting to turn into color. They started to ask questions about what was going on cause of Bud’s dad. He walked into the bowling ally telling his friends what was going on cause he walked into the house with no food ready. So his friends asked what was going on with his wife. So they started a group to find out about the colors going on.
    In Pleasantville towards the end Bud was going to court for what he did but he knew what he had to do right. So he told the judge that you just need to look deep inside yourself and you will change. Bud told his dad the same thing so you can change.
    In Adam and eve in order to change they had to do it by yourself in order to change to normal. So towards the end of the story they finally changed back to normal
  29. Feb 26, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Pleasantville Movie Review
    Written by Francisco Garcia 2/24/15
    The story of the begging of man and a movie directed by Gary Ross both having basically the same idea. In the story of Adam and Eve which you’re about to read says that one person changed humanity. While in the movie Pleasantville two people change an entire town of people for the better.
    At the begging of man god created Adam. Adam got lonely so god mad women. The woman was deceived by a serpent to eat for the forbidden tree of knowledge. Here and Adam eat and become aware that they are naked and they cover themselves. God finds out and takes away the snakes legs and banishes Adam and eve from the Garden of Eden forcing women to bare the pain of child birth. This the story of Adam and Eve summed up.
    A nerdy boy and a bad girl who are twins. When one is ready for a date the other is getting ready to watch a marathon for a 1950s TV show. When they get into a conflict where they argue over who gets the remote it slips from their hands and breaks against a wall. So a TV repair man shows up and gives them a magical TV remote. While arguing again they are then teleported into the 1950’s show called Pleasantville. Where the twins take control of the bodies of the two children characters. They then start to change the world. First what happens is that the world starts to become more unpleasant. They then get colored because the world was in black and white. They then have the world in full color where the girl stays in the TV to get an education and the boy leaves this is the movie Pleasantville summed up.
    So why would I bring up a biblical story and a movie from 19998 you ask? The reason being that the movie and the story have lots of common features and attributes. How you might wonder well the world was in a happy cycle and when the girl came she made the world start to change. They then go to a scene where the boy is on a date and a girl gets up and feeds him a color red apple from a tree which it then starts to rain. The TV repair man demands that they get out but they say no. and in the end there was more to the world the there was at the start. What do I mean? Well in Pleasantville the roads endlessly lops in circles at the end of one street it takes you back to the begging. But in the story of Adam and eve there is only the Garden of Eden.
    There are many differences too. As an example the story of Adam and eve was set at the start of man. While the movie Pleasantville is set in 1958 America. Adam and eve only have two humans. While Pleasantville has a whole little city of people like firemen, council, and a basketball team. Also in Adam and eve god forced Adam and eve to leave the garden as soon as he found out what happened.
    So what I thought was that although the story of Adam and eve was a bit strange the movie Pleasantville almost perfectly described the story. So I thought the movie was a really good one. Staring toby McGuire and Reese witherspoon. So I say if you want a good movie that’s close to the story of the begging of man watch it but not with kid’s in room.
  30. Feb 26, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. My opinions on Pleasantville were it did a good job interpreting the Adam and eve story. The characters were very similarities such as the two main characters. I like how the TV repair man represented god that was a good way to do it because I fill that would be the only way to represent god in this case.
    I feel the main point and the theme of this movie was change! Every one changes threw out the movie and changes in some sort away. kinda like in our life’s we all go through some kinda change growing up. Think the biggest impact of change in the movie was when the Mayer changes into color because people look up to him and they respect him.
    Also think the paintings had a big impact because it represented what there town was like and what was going on in the town all represented by paintings. Now the people know what’s going on and it sounds like it’s not so pleasant.
    This film also represents double standards for men and women just because that is how it was in the 1950s for example the wife was always told what to do and when to do it like having food done at a certain time she really had no say in any thing. Treated as a pet .
    That was my review and my thoughts on this movie I would give it 4 out of 6 starts pretty good would recommend it. But keep in mind it could get a little graphic at some parts just keep in mind.
    Over all very good movie
  31. Feb 26, 2015
    I am about to tell you about these two stories which may seem really different but are similar in many different ways. The first story is about Adam and Eve from the bible. Adam was a man put on this earth in a perfect garden and then god took one of Adams ribs and then came a long a woman called Eve. In this other story there was two kids named Bud and Marie Sue. Bud was a typical kidI am about to tell you about these two stories which may seem really different but are similar in many different ways. The first story is about Adam and Eve from the bible. Adam was a man put on this earth in a perfect garden and then god took one of Adams ribs and then came a long a woman called Eve. In this other story there was two kids named Bud and Marie Sue. Bud was a typical kid because he would follow the rules and do everything he was told. Now Marie Sue was the complete opposite of Bud, she was a tart and a rebel.
    How they changed in both of the stories was that Bud learned that it’s okay to break the rules sometimes because when I started that fight and stood up for his mother he finally got his color because he stood up for something that was right. When Jenifer said no to have sexual intercourse with that popular guy. Adam had eaten the apple and he received knowledge. Eve had been fooled by the snake in the garden and she had eaten the apple and also had gotten knowledge.
    Bud and Jennifer are the same as Adam and Eve in a few a ways. Bud and Jennifer both changed in some way and Adam and Eve changed by eating the apple. But they also have some differences like they might be different ages and they are in different time periods.
    I think that the director did a good job in comparing the two stories together. But I didn’t see the similarities until someone pointed it out for me but then I realized that it’s pretty similar. This is only my opinion so if you agree great but if you don’t agree there are more articles you could read about this topic.
  32. Feb 26, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Adam and eve to Pleasantville
    There is a lot of similarities and differences in the movie and in the book. For one the part were the apply in the movie turns red in Adam and eve god said not to eat form the tree of knowledge there was an apply on that tree that was red so this is saying that there was gone be change.
    There is the part were god lets man name all the wild animals and that’s the name that they got in the movie they have books that were blank and as bud told them about it they start to fill them self in and that’s how they start to learn to read this are the same because they show how the start of something and how it became.
    A difference is that the movie it was in black and white and in Adam and eve it was cooler. The part where everything was good and nothing went bad and that’s all that happened tells bud came along and starts to change everything. This happened in Adam and eve in steed there was a snake that told eve that it was fine to eat from the tree of knowledge and that’s what she did and she gave some to Adam.
    Yes I think that the director did a good job of truing the story in to a movie and that he could have put a little more about the story in it. I think that he could have add more detail in to the movie to where is make sense to the viewer’s so that they had the ability to see where he was getting at. He should have made it to were the viewer’s had the ability to see what the movie was about. That’s what I think about how the director did.
  33. Feb 26, 2015
    Pleasantville movie review
    Pleasantville movie review
    I recently saw the movie Pleasantville; overall it was a good flic with few honest flaws. I was able to understand most connections and the great acts of symbolism threw out the film. Now before I begin I’d like to say this review is coming from a high school teen that dose has religious beliefs and morals. And I believe this movie was a great adaptation of the story of Adam and Eve from genesis. And this was a good movie and keep in mind this movie dose have sexual references and parcel nudity.
    First off I’d like to let you know this review is coming from a teen. But I do follow Christian morals and have a lot of knowledge about the original bile story. First the story is set in the Garden of Eden, a perfect place designed by God with no sin. God made Adam, the first man out of the dirt of the earth in his image. Then god saw Adam was lonely had had no mate or helper, even out of all the animals Adam had just named. So god put Adam into a deep sleep and removed one of his ribs to form Eve, the first woman.
    Within the garden there was god Adam and eve but there was only one rule, shall not eat from the tree of knowledge with good and evil. Since were human eve wondered toward the forbidden tree, then a snake/serpent appeared. The snake told eve to try the fruit, its fine. After eve took a bite she offered Adam a bite. After they relised they were nude and covered themselves with the nearby vegetation. God called out to them and asked them why they are covered and hiding. For god know what they had done and banished them out of the perfect garden to toil over the earth and have pain with child birth.
    The movie PLEASENTVILLE is an adaptation of this story. So within the film there are many connections between the two. First color is a large part of the change, red represents lust, we see this in the apples and roses on lover’s lane. Pink is love innocent love like the cherry blossoms that bud and his girlfriend drives through. Green means envy like the new car in front of the dinner throughout the movie. The best thing that shows how the color shows is the mural of the town ion the side of the police department. The color is a true word less symbol.
    Last Adam is resented by bud, quit and laid back. Eve is represented by Jennie takes charge and truly brings sin into the world. Overall this movie was good and an awesome adaptation of the original bible story. Both stories begin perfect and controlled by a main male person, god is represnted by the tv man.
  34. Feb 26, 2015
    Pleasantville & Book of Genesis

Pleasantville is extremely similar to the book of Genesis. There are a whole lot of subtle hints that make it clear that it is a spin on Adam and Eve’s story. Being a spin-off, one can tell that the tones and messages are different. First, the clues will be mentioned and discussed. In the book of Genesis, the Tree of Knowledge from which the Apple of
    Pleasantville & Book of Genesis

First, the clues will be mentioned and discussed. In the book of Genesis, the Tree of Knowledge from which the Apple of Knowledge is picked is the one area of taboo. In Pleasantville, however, Lover’s Lake is a garden (most prominently referenced in the scene where Bud picked an apple from the tree and bit into it) where free thinking and knowledge (seen in PleasantVille as “colored” individuals) essentially starts. Another important detail to note is the similarity between Adam & Eve and the main characters of Pleasantville. Both are male/female couples (brother/sister in Pleasantville’s case), both bring about free thinking and rebellion in a place with significant lack of it, and both are thrust into a world by a higher power of sorts. These are examples because of the clear cut (and intentional) similarity demonstrated by the writers and director behind Pleasantville. With that in mind, consider the following.

Since Pleasantville is clearly similar to Adam and Eve, allow me to discuss the tone of both stories. In the book of Genesis, God treats the Tree of Knowledge as an awful thing not to be disturbed or eaten from. Eve is convinced by a serpent to eat the apple, and in turn Eve convinces Adam to eat from it too. The two of them blame it on the serpent like a child caught stealing from the cookie jar. In Pleasantville, David and Jennifer continue spreading it around Pleasantville even after the repairman who shoves them into Pleasantville chastises them after having shoved them into the world without warning, much like God had shoved Adam and Eve into the world for the sole intent of tending his garden. Knowing all that, Pleasantville provides a more encouraging tone towards knowledge and free thought, whereas Genesis outright condemns it.

The tone ties into the message very well, seeing as how the message already is keeping an open mind in the case of Pleasantville. The opposite of which is true for Genesis, which is essentially stating that ignorance is bliss and innocence is sinless. Pleasantville is a much happier movie than Genesis is a story, and shines a positive light on the main characters. Genesis thrusts Adam and Eve into the dark, blaming them for the first sin and treating them as the first of many wrongdoers.

All-in-all, it is very clear that Pleasantville is a play on the story of Adam and Eve. The scene involving Bud hanging with his girlfriend under a tree biting into an apple picked from a tree, the similarity between main characters and even just the abstracted descriptions of both stories are similar. The obvious spoof on the story is that Pleasantville embraces free thinking and rebellion from the status quo rather than condemns it. Considering this all, I’d say that Pleasantville is definitely worth a watch.
  35. Feb 26, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Movie Review
    Pleasantville is actually based off a true story in the bible known as Adam and Eve. Pleasantville and Adam and Eve have pretty much the same concept except there are many similarities and differences. The movie Pleasantville is about siblings who are David and Jennifer getting stuck into a TV Show but in the TV Show A.K.A Pleasantville is pretty much where everything is perfect and nobody ever really breaks the rules but it’s hard for Jennifer because in the real world she is a rebel and never really follows the rules. David is the type to follow the rules also because he’s watched every episode there has been so he knows everything to know about it but as he keeps living there he tends to break the rules and traditions without really even noticing it and a lot of things change when Jennifer and David get there
    Differences
    There are many differences in the story Adam and Eve and the movie Pleasantville such as in the movie there are a lot of more people and in Adam and Eve there is only 2 people also the movie is way more recent then Adam and eve. The changing is also very different because in Adam and Eve they are sinning but in Pleasantville they’re just changing and technically there is nothing wrong with that

Similarities
    There are many Similarities in the movie Pleasantville and in Adam and Eve such as they’re both put up to a challenge and they both fail also because they both in a way have a concept in god that keeps telling them things not to do but they ended up doing them anyway by doing the things they’re not supposed to the way they see things changed like in Pleasantville they see color and in Adam and Eve they see each other naked so the way they continue to live their lives changed
    Critique
    I think the writers of Pleasantville did a good job at making it compare to the Adam and Eve story in the bible they both ended up having the same message but not really in the same way but I could see how in a way they both had to do something with god also how once they did something they weren’t supposed to do it opened up there eyes but after all of it I think they both had good concepts and messages in them
    Conclusion
    Over all I think they both had a lot of similarities and differences that both told different messages but they were life learning messages such as sometimes change is a good thing or change could be a really bad thing. I loved both of these stories and the themes to them and how they were a lot alike and a lot different reading both of them really helped
  36. Feb 26, 2015
    Reading the story of Adam and Eve gives you a sense of living with parents who are very strict and do not let you do anything at all, you always have to follow the rules and if you mess up you have to deal with the consequences. In the movie Pleasantville you get the sense of going on a vacation to somewhere where you have never been, you are kind of doubtful about it but then you get usedReading the story of Adam and Eve gives you a sense of living with parents who are very strict and do not let you do anything at all, you always have to follow the rules and if you mess up you have to deal with the consequences. In the movie Pleasantville you get the sense of going on a vacation to somewhere where you have never been, you are kind of doubtful about it but then you get used to it and start to like more and more then that’s when the bad part comes when you have to leave and go home. Which one sounds better? Obviously right away you would think Pleasantville read and see if you’re right or wrong.
    There are many things that are similar between the movie and story. In the book and in the movie the main characters are told not to do certain things like in the story of Adam and Eve god tells Adam to not eat from a specific tree, and in the movie David tells Jenifer to not change anything while they are in Pleasantville. In both cases they both do the opposite of what they are told and they both have to face the consequences. In both the story and movie they have someone telling them what to do. In the movie Pleasantville the character that is telling David and Jenifer what to do is the T.V. repair man, and in the story the person that is telling Adam and Eve what to do is god. The book and movie both have a common factor with the female characters, in both situations both women are the ones to break the rules and be rebellious.
    There things that are not alike at all in the movie Adam and Eve and the movie Pleasantville. A difference between them is that in the movie they are forced into a community filled with other people. In the story Adam and Eve are created by god and sent to live in Eden alone. The person who is giving out they rules the characters are supposed to follow in the movie is the brother David and in the book it is good who is telling Adam what to do. There are many rebellious things that David and Jenifer could do that could abrupt things in Pleasantville but there is only one thing that could go wrong in the story.
    The movie and the book both had similarities and differences but overall they both were good. The director could have done many things different to make the movie more relatable to the story. The T.V. repair man could have been a more god like character being more strict and clear about what he wanted David and Jenifer to do while they were in Pleasantville. I feel like more of the setting could have been more similar. I also think that the director should have followed the plot of the story of Adam and Eve more, like in the end of the movie David and Jenifer get to fix their problems and do what they want though they have to face there consequences they are resolved in the end but in the story Adam and Eve do not get to make their wrong right they don’t get to go back to the way things were. The director made many similarities to the story but not many of them were obvious enough to know that the movie is based on the story.
    The movie Pleasantville and the story of Adam and Eve show many examples of life lesson that you can relate to. They both show what it’s like to make mistakes and have to face the consequences and they both have different outcome. Though they don’t have the same ending they both have the same goal, they both want to teach the audience the same lesson. I think that both have goods themes and lesson but I agree more with the story of Adam and Eve because of the fact that in real life you cannot take back some of the mistakes you have made and you have to live with them for the rest of your life and you are not always able to fix your problems like in Pleasantville.
  37. Feb 26, 2015
    Pleasantville Movie Review
    By Alex Lopez
    Pleasantville Movie Review
    By Alex Lopez

Pleasantville is a movie based off of a story in the Bible, “Adam and Eve”. Pleasantville and the story of Adam and Eve have many similarities as well as differences. Pleasantville is a story about a sister, Jennifer, and a brother, David. David is kind of a nerd type guy that always likes to follow the rules. Jennifer is someone who likes to rebel and break the rules. So they’re almost complete opposite. They are both high school students in their teenage years. When Jennifer goes to watch a movie with her boyfriend, her brother wants to watch Pleasantville, which is a TV show that he really likes, and doesn’t wanna miss it. But as they are fighting over the remote, it gets thrown across the room and breaks. In a few seconds (yes, seconds), a “TV Repair Man” comes into their house and gives them a new remote. When David presses the “On” button on the new remote to use the TV, both Jennifer and David get sucked into the TV show, Pleasantville! While they’re in Pleasantville, they are supposed to stick to the program, but things get a little different when Jennifer and David come along.

Similarities

There are many similarities between the movie Pleasantville and the story of Adam and Eve. Firstly, it all started off as perfect. Pleasantville was a very happy place. It had no crime, no pain, nothing but happiness. Same thing with the story of Adam and Eve. When they were first there in the Garden of Eden, things were perfect. No shame, no pain, no crime. But then Adam and Eve were tempted to sin by the serpent. In the Bible, God told Adam and Eve that they could eat from any tree in the garden, except for one. Which was the tree of knowledge between good and evil. The serpent tempted Eve to eat a fruit from that tree. Then she gave some of it to Adam. When they ate the fruit, it brought sin and death to the entire human race. Which is similar to when Davids girlfriend fed him the apple, and it started raining, which represents lust. Another similarity was when the TV repair man told David to stop changing the show. In the Bible, God confronts Adam and Eve about what they have done. So in a way, the TV repair man can represent God.

Differences
    As well as there being many similarities between the Bible and Pleasantville, there is also a lot of differences between the two stories. In the Bible, when Adam and Eve sin it brings death. But in Pleasantville, they aren’t “sinning” but rather experiencing change. And when they do change, instead of bringing death, it brings color to the world of Pleasantville. Another difference is that Pleasantville was a story that occurred in the 50s, and the story of Adam and Eve was in the beginning of time. In the Bible, when Adam and Eve sinned they made clothes out of leaves to hide from God. In Pleasantville when they change, they are in color. It’s a very shameful thing to be in color in Pleasantville, so David and Jennifer’s “mom” covers herself in black and white makeup so that she can hide from being colored.

Critique

I think the creators of Pleasantville did a very good job at comparing it to the Bible. Both stories represent change, but in different ways. In Pleasantville, change is a good thing. In the Bible, knowledge is a bad thing. I could definitely tell that the Bible and Pleasantville were similar stories. I could see that the author of Pleasantville wanted to relate to the Bible because of the ways he made the scenes of Pleasantville, but they were not in the same ways. They both had very similar messages, but they were expressed in different ways. This is where all of the differences come into play In Pleasantville, they experienced change. In the Bible, they experienced sin. In Pleasantville when they changed, they were in color. And they found it shameful to be in color. In the Bible, when they sinned they were also shameful, and they hid themselves from God. The author of Pleasantville did a great job at comparing it to the Bible, as it has many scenes and characters that are very similar. David’s girlfriend can be thought of as Eve, when she fed him the apple. The TV repair man could be thought of as God, who was instructing them and in a way, look after them. And how books can be considered a way of exploration to the originally forbidden. And in the Bible, the forbidden fruit played a similar one.
    Conclusion

Overall, the creators of Pleasantville did a great job at comparing both stories together. They added aspects of the Bible into the movie Pleasantville, but incorporated the characters, actions and scenes into more semi-modern times.
  38. Feb 26, 2015
    Pleasantville Essay.
    Imagine a world where everything is perfect, in the movie Pleasantville and the story of Adam and Eve everything is perfect, or is it? In this essay I’m going to be talking about how in a perfect world things can change and how things can change when you least expect it, but also how the story and the movie are so similar and different at the same time.
    There are so
    Pleasantville Essay.
    There are so many similarities and differences between the movie and the story, and you can see what most of them are, like some differences is how in the story Adam and Eve are man and wife and in the movie Jennifer and Buddy happen to be sister and brother. Another difference would be that Adam and Eve live in a garden while Jennifer and Buddy live in a town. And one more difference would be that in the story Adam and Eve live in a colorful world but Jennifer and Buddy live in a black and white world because it’s a TV show.

Now there are similarities also and some of them might be that in both the book and the movie they involve two people who are boy and girl, also there similar because they both go through a big change and it changes their whole world. Another similarity is how they both have people who represent god like Adam and Eve are with god and in the book a TV repair man represents god in a way because he sent them to Pleasantville, and one last one would be that both worlds are perfect.
    Now I want to say that I think that they did a an amazing job on the way they compered the movie to the story of Adam and Eve and that you can learn a lot from them and that the message was kind of similar in a away like the message I think was that change is good and don’t be afraid to change.

To sum it all up they both have many differences and similarities and they both tell you a message, I honestly loved both the movie and story and how they tell you change Isn’t that bad sometimes.
  39. Feb 26, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Pleasantville Review

In the story “Pleasantville” the two main characters are sucked from reality into a tv show called, you guessed it, Pleasantville. The main characters, David and Jennifer notice the world around them begins to change from the way people in the town behave to the world literally changing color. The world of Pleasantville is very different from the world we know today. For example it is not possible for anything to go wrong in Pleasantville. Nothing is unpleasant in Pleasantville, no crime, no art, no sex, nothing. Something you may not have noticed when watching the movie is that the film is based off of the old story of Adam and Eve. Even though they may sound very different if you dig a little deeper you can discover the truth behind this puzzling movie.

First we will sift though the plot to find similarities between both of the stories’ themes. One of the similar themes they both share is rebelion. In the Adam and Eve story Eve takes a bite out the forbidden fruit and disobeys God. Jennifur also does what she wasn’t supposed to by “hooking up” with another high school student. Both Eve and Jennifer change the world by rebeling. Another similar theme both stories share is balance. In the Adam’s and Eve’s story, Eve is more of a free spirited person while Adam is is more of a follower. Jennifer and David are the same way. Jennifer is a rebel while David is more like Adam, a follower. Both characters are very different so they maintain balance.

The two characters, Jennifer and David, personalities are very similar to their Adam and Eve counterparts. An example of this is when Jennifer or Eve rebels without shame and David or Adam scolds her even though they were doing the exact same thing. This is seen in the movie when David tells Jennifer to stop making love to her boyfriend but, he is showing up late to work and telling his boss at the burger shop to do part of his job when he wasn’t there. Adam blamed Eve for causing the calamity but he also decided to eat the fruit from the forbidden tree. Another character in the film that is similar to a character in the Adam and Eve story is the Tv Repairman. His character is based off of God. The TV repairman tells David that he must not do anything to change or “harm” the world. God does the same thing he tell Adam to never eat from the tree of knowledge.

The setting in both stories are similar because they are both worlds are perfectly bland. Pleasantville is a perfect, colorless world where nothing can go wrong. The Garden of Eden is the same way, even though The Garden of Eden has color the concept is close. Both environments change at the end. Pleasantville becomes more like reality and The Garden of Eden well, disappears.

In every film based off of a story or book there is some differences between the original and the new version. Pleasantville is no different, from theme to message let's next look for what makes Pleasantville an independent film. First of all theme, in pleasantville the ending is happy like change is a good thing. As you probably know the ending of Adam and Eve doesn't end so well. They are banished for their sins and know live in a life of misery and disorder. The director of Pleasantville, Gary Ross, makes it seem like change is a good thing and it should be encouraged. However Moses (the author of Genesis) wrote that change is what corrupted the world not what fixed it.

Overall I the movie Pleasantville is a accurate representation of the old Adam and Eve story. There where a few differences here and there but that is to be expected of an adaptation of a story that is centuries old.

Offers effortless charm, wit, and originality in spades.
    Lacks the edge and depth of a truly inspired work.
  3. The movie's simplistic storyline does not match its stunning visual accomplishments: Pleasantville's story is drawn from a palette that's strictly limited to black-and-white.