8.7

1. Feb 26, 2015
    Pleasantville critique/review
    By Tyler Abdill
    In the movie there are hidden allusions to the story of Adam and Eve. In general it’s like the two stories were merged together. I say this because there are things that relate Pleasantville to the story of Adam and Eve. Yet there are things that differentiate the two stories. The similarities are very subtle things such as the fact that
    Pleasantville critique/review
    By Tyler Abdill

The similarities are very subtle things such as the fact that Daniel’s girlfriend and Eve get Adam/Daniel to eat the apple, or that Daniel is basically Adam and Daniel’s girlfriend is basically Eve. Another similarity is once they eat the apple they fully gain knowledge of good and evil. A lot of the similarities could go unnoticed if you don’t know where to look or if you haven’t read the story of Adam and Eve.

The major difference is that Pleasantville is a TV series/movie and the story of Adam and Eve is well… you know a story. Besides that Pleasantville is not only in black and white but in color as well. Another difference is that in Pleasantville change is good for them, but in the story of Adam and Eve change is bad for them. This may because in the story of Adam and Eve they had it all everything was perfect, yet in Pleasantville everything seams perfect but it’s not.

That being said it is one of the things I didn’t really like or dislike about the movie. In general I didn’t exactly care about the movie, because it was just for school and not as something I chose on my own. That aside it was decent, I did like the idea of being sucked into a TV show. It was a bit dramatic though.

I really disliked all that drama. If it were targeting people a lot like me then the author would need to remove at least some of the drama. Another thing I didn’t like was the fact that Daniel and his sister didn’t get their own characters or didn’t exactly fit their characters.

Well that’s all I have to say about this movie,
    Please don’t troll me because I don’t care as long as you don’t edit!

YOU EDIT YOU DIE!
    SINCERELY TYLER ABDILL.
  2. Feb 26, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. So, overall, my reaction and feelings towards this movie are, “eh.” Why? Because I generally don’t feel right about these kinds of stories. Yeah, there were some pretty cool, quirky, and down right weird moments in this movie, but you know what? It was executed well. Even though these kind of “replace the main characters” stories confuse me, due to the name changes and everything. What do I call them? That’s a problem I have with these movies. I’m sorry, but when a couple of characters are in a story and replace two people it confuses me. Also where did the previous two go? It would’ve been a little more interesting if the writer and director decided to place them in there separately as individual characters. There is one thing I liked, and that’s the little tidbit with Mary Sue. It’s a nice touch of fandonism in there. Oh yeah, and how Jenni changes. Something I notice with Jenni though is that at first, she seems like a stereotype, but then develops into a full character. Jenni’s is a little rushed, however. She just puts on a pair of glasses and gets in touch with her intellectual side. David’s is perfectly paced, and when it reveals, it actually shows. Although with Jenni’s colors, it’s gradual, when David gets his, it’s just BOOM INSTANT. Other than that, I just kinda shrugged my shoulders. The characters are well developed, it connects well with the source material, and it has symbolism and means stuff. Expand
  3. Feb 26, 2015
    Pleasantville & Genesis
    R A P
    2/25/15 I think they need to make a second part to the movie but one thing I liked is was how they went from color to black and white to color and used a lot of attention that I did not expect but it was a whole lot better than I thought it was going to be. I did not like the way they were treating people like saying that there color and not treating each
    Pleasantville & Genesis
    R A P
    2/25/15
    I think they need to make a second part to the movie but one thing I liked is was how they went from color to black and white to color and used a lot of attention that I did not expect but it was a whole lot better than I thought it was going to be. I did not like the way they were treating people like saying that there color and not treating each other people with respect that was messed up until they all turned to color and nobody was ashamed but one person that would be a big difference if nobody was treated wrong or disrespect wrong

They are similar in many ways also in a way that is a simple thing to do and it well all ways be there to help people in many different ways.

There different because Pleasantville goes to a black and white movie and turns everything color and on the other hand Adam and eve they go and eat the apple on the tree.

He made it so it can relate to Adam and Eve at the same rate with Pleasantville and Adam and Eve it well always be the same.

Yes maybe to inspire them with Pleasantville and Adam and Eve or to make them understand that doesn’t matter who you are.
  4. Feb 26, 2015
    My conclusion is how they both changed like in Pleasantville Bud changed everything but Bud thought it was Jennifer that was changing everything. So Bud kept on talking to Jennifer about how not to change the story. In Adam and Eve they ate a apple that changed the story and it became sexual. In the movie there were some conclusions like how they bit into the apple and changed the storyMy conclusion is how they both changed like in Pleasantville Bud changed everything but Bud thought it was Jennifer that was changing everything. So Bud kept on talking to Jennifer about how not to change the story. In Adam and Eve they ate a apple that changed the story and it became sexual. In the movie there were some conclusions like how they bit into the apple and changed the story and the movie.
    In Adam and Eve the story was mostly about sexual things that were going on than in the movie Pleasantville. In the movie Pleasantville it was how Bud changed everything and not Jennifer cause Bud was the one who tuned the movie into color. In the story everyone was alright like there were no complaints about what was going on.
    In Pleasantville everything was going wrong everyone was starting to turn into color. They started to ask questions about what was going on cause of Bud’s dad. He walked into the bowling ally telling his friends what was going on cause he walked into the house with no food ready. So his friends asked what was going on with his wife. So they started a group to find out about the colors going on.
    In Pleasantville towards the end Bud was going to court for what he did but he knew what he had to do right. So he told the judge that you just need to look deep inside yourself and you will change. Bud told his dad the same thing so you can change.
    In Adam and eve in order to change they had to do it by yourself in order to change to normal. So towards the end of the story they finally changed back to normal
  5. Feb 26, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Pleasantville Movie Review
    Written by Francisco Garcia 2/24/15
    The story of the begging of man and a movie directed by Gary Ross both having basically the same idea. In the story of Adam and Eve which you’re about to read says that one person changed humanity. While in the movie Pleasantville two people change an entire town of people for the better.
    At the begging of man god created Adam. Adam got lonely so god mad women. The woman was deceived by a serpent to eat for the forbidden tree of knowledge. Here and Adam eat and become aware that they are naked and they cover themselves. God finds out and takes away the snakes legs and banishes Adam and eve from the Garden of Eden forcing women to bare the pain of child birth. This the story of Adam and Eve summed up.
    A nerdy boy and a bad girl who are twins. When one is ready for a date the other is getting ready to watch a marathon for a 1950s TV show. When they get into a conflict where they argue over who gets the remote it slips from their hands and breaks against a wall. So a TV repair man shows up and gives them a magical TV remote. While arguing again they are then teleported into the 1950’s show called Pleasantville. Where the twins take control of the bodies of the two children characters. They then start to change the world. First what happens is that the world starts to become more unpleasant. They then get colored because the world was in black and white. They then have the world in full color where the girl stays in the TV to get an education and the boy leaves this is the movie Pleasantville summed up.
    So why would I bring up a biblical story and a movie from 19998 you ask? The reason being that the movie and the story have lots of common features and attributes. How you might wonder well the world was in a happy cycle and when the girl came she made the world start to change. They then go to a scene where the boy is on a date and a girl gets up and feeds him a color red apple from a tree which it then starts to rain. The TV repair man demands that they get out but they say no. and in the end there was more to the world the there was at the start. What do I mean? Well in Pleasantville the roads endlessly lops in circles at the end of one street it takes you back to the begging. But in the story of Adam and eve there is only the Garden of Eden.
    There are many differences too. As an example the story of Adam and eve was set at the start of man. While the movie Pleasantville is set in 1958 America. Adam and eve only have two humans. While Pleasantville has a whole little city of people like firemen, council, and a basketball team. Also in Adam and eve god forced Adam and eve to leave the garden as soon as he found out what happened.
    So what I thought was that although the story of Adam and eve was a bit strange the movie Pleasantville almost perfectly described the story. So I thought the movie was a really good one. Staring toby McGuire and Reese witherspoon. So I say if you want a good movie that’s close to the story of the begging of man watch it but not with kid’s in room.
  6. Feb 26, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. My opinions on Pleasantville were it did a good job interpreting the Adam and eve story. The characters were very similarities such as the two main characters. I like how the TV repair man represented god that was a good way to do it because I fill that would be the only way to represent god in this case.
    I feel the main point and the theme of this movie was change! Every one changes threw out the movie and changes in some sort away. kinda like in our life’s we all go through some kinda change growing up. Think the biggest impact of change in the movie was when the Mayer changes into color because people look up to him and they respect him.
    Also think the paintings had a big impact because it represented what there town was like and what was going on in the town all represented by paintings. Now the people know what’s going on and it sounds like it’s not so pleasant.
    This film also represents double standards for men and women just because that is how it was in the 1950s for example the wife was always told what to do and when to do it like having food done at a certain time she really had no say in any thing. Treated as a pet .
    That was my review and my thoughts on this movie I would give it 4 out of 6 starts pretty good would recommend it. But keep in mind it could get a little graphic at some parts just keep in mind.
    Over all very good movie
  7. Feb 26, 2015
    I am about to tell you about these two stories which may seem really different but are similar in many different ways. The first story is about Adam and Eve from the bible. Adam was a man put on this earth in a perfect garden and then god took one of Adams ribs and then came a long a woman called Eve. In this other story there was two kids named Bud and Marie Sue. Bud was a typical kidI am about to tell you about these two stories which may seem really different but are similar in many different ways. The first story is about Adam and Eve from the bible. Adam was a man put on this earth in a perfect garden and then god took one of Adams ribs and then came a long a woman called Eve. In this other story there was two kids named Bud and Marie Sue. Bud was a typical kid because he would follow the rules and do everything he was told. Now Marie Sue was the complete opposite of Bud, she was a tart and a rebel.
    How they changed in both of the stories was that Bud learned that it’s okay to break the rules sometimes because when I started that fight and stood up for his mother he finally got his color because he stood up for something that was right. When Jenifer said no to have sexual intercourse with that popular guy. Adam had eaten the apple and he received knowledge. Eve had been fooled by the snake in the garden and she had eaten the apple and also had gotten knowledge.
    Bud and Jennifer are the same as Adam and Eve in a few a ways. Bud and Jennifer both changed in some way and Adam and Eve changed by eating the apple. But they also have some differences like they might be different ages and they are in different time periods.
    I think that the director did a good job in comparing the two stories together. But I didn’t see the similarities until someone pointed it out for me but then I realized that it’s pretty similar. This is only my opinion so if you agree great but if you don’t agree there are more articles you could read about this topic.
  8. Feb 26, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Adam and eve to Pleasantville
    There is a lot of similarities and differences in the movie and in the book. For one the part were the apply in the movie turns red in Adam and eve god said not to eat form the tree of knowledge there was an apply on that tree that was red so this is saying that there was gone be change.
    There is the part were god lets man name all the wild animals and that’s the name that they got in the movie they have books that were blank and as bud told them about it they start to fill them self in and that’s how they start to learn to read this are the same because they show how the start of something and how it became.
    A difference is that the movie it was in black and white and in Adam and eve it was cooler. The part where everything was good and nothing went bad and that’s all that happened tells bud came along and starts to change everything. This happened in Adam and eve in steed there was a snake that told eve that it was fine to eat from the tree of knowledge and that’s what she did and she gave some to Adam.
    Yes I think that the director did a good job of truing the story in to a movie and that he could have put a little more about the story in it. I think that he could have add more detail in to the movie to where is make sense to the viewer’s so that they had the ability to see where he was getting at. He should have made it to were the viewer’s had the ability to see what the movie was about. That’s what I think about how the director did.
  9. MichelleP.
    Mar 2, 2003
    No offense to those of you who loved this movie, but I really hated it. I mean, Reese Witherspoon's character was a true bratt! She goes around convining people that sex is what makes the world happy place. She changes color because she reads a book. Called, "Lover". Oooh...good idea. Psyche.

Offers effortless charm, wit, and originality in spades.
    Lacks the edge and depth of a truly inspired work.
  3. The movie's simplistic storyline does not match its stunning visual accomplishments: Pleasantville's story is drawn from a palette that's strictly limited to black-and-white.