7.4

1. ScottB.
    May 2, 2010
    Honest, intelligent, original, funny, engaging, understated and clever. In a market with so many movies relying on it's main character saving the world or blowing up a city, it is refreshing to have a movie where the excitement comes in a nod, gesture or any other slight movement that, here, has so much more meaning and resonance than any other movie where the lead characters Honest, intelligent, original, funny, engaging, understated and clever. In a market with so many movies relying on it's main character saving the world or blowing up a city, it is refreshing to have a movie where the excitement comes in a nod, gesture or any other slight movement that, here, has so much more meaning and resonance than any other movie where the lead characters do/accomplish 1000 times more than any of these characters do. SEE THIS MOVIE. Expand
  2. alexw
    May 4, 2010
    I was sad to see the reviews this movie received after thinking about it all evening....this movie was nearly perfect. Actors were pitch perfect... amanda peet especially. The script couldnt have more portrayed more perfectly New York City living- the characters, the apartment talk, and most importantly the balance between having a stone front and a warm heart. it was a fabulous hilarious I was sad to see the reviews this movie received after thinking about it all evening....this movie was nearly perfect. Actors were pitch perfect... amanda peet especially. The script couldnt have more portrayed more perfectly New York City living- the characters, the apartment talk, and most importantly the balance between having a stone front and a warm heart. it was a fabulous hilarious and thoughtful movie. well done! Expand
  3. DWillyB
    May 31, 2010
    I don't normally have much use for this type of film, I was left cold by this writer/director's "Friends With Money," but the ensemble performs flawlessly (directed to the height of their known capabilities) with a unique script that really has something to say, is moving and funny as hell. I can give it the highest compliment in that I've been thinking and talking about it I don't normally have much use for this type of film, I was left cold by this writer/director's "Friends With Money," but the ensemble performs flawlessly (directed to the height of their known capabilities) with a unique script that really has something to say, is moving and funny as hell. I can give it the highest compliment in that I've been thinking and talking about it all the following day now, and would like to see it again. Expand
  4. LeoF.
    Jun 4, 2010
    I'm not sure what this movie is supposed to be about, but it sure is nice sitting through it. Superb performances by the entire cast, but Katherine Keener is a knockout in the lead role.
  5. MikeD
    Jun 7, 2010
    Enjoyable and different, but when it's over you're not quite sure what to make of it.
  6. DanaM
    May 23, 2010
    Very entertaining story. Well directed and acted. Worth the $10 to see on the big screen. My wife and I found ourselves laughing out loud many times.
    Jun 18, 2010
    This movie is a wonderful slice of life piece, with characters that feel real. It is not a pretty, Hollywood-ized version of life but the real thing. And there isn't necessarily a 'point' other than that everyone is complicated, troubled and interesting in their own way, no matter how mundane their life might seem from the outside.
  8. AustinW
    May 25, 2010
    A really great movie - possibly her best. Holofcener is quickly becoming one of my favorite writer/directors. The whole cast is brilliant, and the characters are rich and complex.
  9. Aug 12, 2010
    I thought this was a wonderful comedy of manners movie. It was about feeling bad for people with less than us and questioning out moral integrity. It was very well acted from all actors. Good direction and hilarious writing. I laughed out loud several times. And this movie was also surprisingly thought-provoking. Well worth seeing.
  10. Nov 19, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I wanted to like this film more than I did. I appreciated the diffuse narrative and the fearless performances, especially by the pitch-perfect Keener, but I couldn't help thinking that Holofcener stumbled into Woody Allen's New York, where everyone is neurotic AND wears their neuroses on their sleeves at all times. Thematically, the film is downright clumsy; to question the ethics of commerce, as Keener's character does, is to be overwrought and paralyzed, de-sexed and in need of some serious "retail therapy." In the film's final epiphany, Keener buys her horrible little daughter the $235 jeans she has been angling for throughout the film and everyone gets the warm fuzzies--except for this reviewer, who had an inexplicable urge to take a shower and re-read Das Kapital. Still, kudos for avoiding most Hollywood cliches, which promises greater subtlety in films to come. Expand
  11. Oct 11, 2010
    An extremely pleasant film with fantastic performances, especially from Catherine Keener and Rebecca Hall. The script is funny, bittersweet, smart, and biting. All in all, it's a great little feature from Holofcener.
  12. Oct 21, 2010
    I'm sure there isn't a writer/director who can do a better job than Holofcener. Each scene, each dialog is taut and funny even when it's tragic. It's a very New York movie and I'm not sure how many jokes and situations non-New Yorkers will get, but Ms. Holofcener is an absolutely amazing talent.
  13. Dec 21, 2010
    From the director that brought you Lovely & Amazing, Nicole Holofcener's Please Give developed interesting characters and a well-related plot. Charms from both the leads, Oliver Patt & Catherine Keener, helped a lot with their complex characters. Please Give is a simple plot where economy and relationship problems occurs. But the director and writer is so elegant in their story-telling andFrom the director that brought you Lovely & Amazing, Nicole Holofcener's Please Give developed interesting characters and a well-related plot. Charms from both the leads, Oliver Patt & Catherine Keener, helped a lot with their complex characters. Please Give is a simple plot where economy and relationship problems occurs. But the director and writer is so elegant in their story-telling and directing, it is almost impossible to not be interested in Please Give.Going slow at times and acting from supporting roles seems laughable, Please Give still gave a lot without being asked. Expand
  14. Dec 15, 2010
    Really interesting movie...Oliver Platt, Kathrine Keener. Great acting, very subtle. It seems to me that the writer actually wrote for an intelligent audience. Go figure.
  15. j30
    Sep 22, 2011
    Funny and engaging movie of two worlds colliding after lose.
  16. Aug 10, 2011
    This has to be one of the most underrated comedies ever. So pure, perfect characters, hilarious dialogues, so down to earth and completely different from any other comedy i've seen... not the best in its type but definitely deserved more attention!

1. Reviewed by: Justin Chang
    Keener, so deliciously nasty in Holofcener's "Lovely and Amazing," is no less engaging here in what is, surprisingly, the film's least bitchy role.
  2. Reviewed by: Richard Mowe
    It may take some time but Nicole Holofcener’s latest effort gradually grows on you. Partly it’s her obvious affection for her oddball collection of characters; partly it’s the performances of the likes of Keener and Oliver Platt as her wayward husband.
  3. Think of Please Give as a finely tuned short story with every glance and gesture full of suggestive meaning. Drama is not high on the agenda here. There is a bit of comedy and, briefly, sexual mischief even though it doesn't look like much fun.