6.7

1. Jan 23, 2015
    Geez some of the reviews on this probably were watching another movie

Anyway if your not a Pokemon fan then do me a favor and leave now. I don't even know why your here if your not a Pokemon fan. In terms of the Pokemon movies I would rate this one as one of the best. It's got tense moments from start to finish. It's got good paced action and a good story. The movie was better in
    Geez some of the reviews on this probably were watching another movie

The movie was better in the fact that you actually see most of Ash's Pokemon battle in this movie rather than perform menial tasks like at the start battle and the battle with Entei.

It's also helped by the fact that there's no true villian and more actual emotion than the first two movies (except maybe for Mewtwo). Molly is a girl who lives with her Father and when he vanishes she simply wishes for a family unaware of how dangerous her wish actually is. Entei who is there to make Molly happy regardless of the consequences and the Unknown who are only doing what comes naturally to them.

Apart from the usual "save the world" that's become the norm for most of the Pokemon movies. This one also features Ash having to save his Mom which adds to the tension faced. It's also helped that Brock and Misty also have a battle and actually show their own skills as Pokemon trainers with Brock battling on the land and Misty battling in her element, under water.

Ash isn't as clueless as he usually is in the anime. He battles with fierce determination and actually shows he has learned something. Which is also something missed in the later seasons.

Overall if you liked the first two check out this one and if you haven't seen it then do check it out.
  2. Oct 26, 2014
    this is the definitive Pokemon Movie for me it has great animation, interesting characters and a story that really uses certain untouched aspects of the franchise to good effect

i can't even call this a guilty pleasure i'll stand by this being a good movie
  3. Aug 26, 2013
    I am absolutely shocked at how bad this movie's reviews here are! Definitely the best thing Pokémon has to offer in terms of anime, be it the TV show or the movies this film is not only a dream come true for any Pokémon fan, but also a very good family movie in general.

While still present, Pokémon themselves are downplayed enough for the brilliant, mature and genuinely touching story to fully manifest itself. The animation is very good, music multiplies the experience very much, the action scenes are exciting, characters surprisingly intelligent (tends to be a big problem with Pokémon series) and authentic, but most of all again, the story of this movie is absolutely fantastic. Mature and clever, it doesn't talk down to the kids and doesn't push the lesson down their throat, while still managing to get it across very well.

While the anime series and the newer movies under the Pokémon title tend to disappoint me more and more, this little masterpiece I can honestly recommend to anybody, Pokéfan or not, kid or adult.
  4. Dec 28, 2012
    If you're a hardcore fan, this is nonstop entertainment from start to finish. It you're not, most definitely give it a pass, for this is very, very weak.
  5. Oct 3, 2012
    Another awful Pokemon film....I have nothing to say anymore.........
  6. Nov 6, 2011
    The best of the Pokemon movies that were released theatrically. Most kids will enjoy it but some adults may be bored with it quickly because it is pokemon, after all.
  7. Oct 19, 2011
    Indisputably terrible with such crappy script. Even my dumb sister didn't get the movie.
  8. Mar 4, 2011
    Pokemon 2000 was bad, but this was worse. No other Pokemon movie can ever be as good as the first awesome one. Same goes for the series, which should've ended after the second season! And is it me, or are there way too many Pokemon games? Thank you Nintendo for constantly milking and ruining Pokemon.
  9. Oct 25, 2010
    if you like Pokemon movies 1 and 2, then this is the one you've been looking for.
  10. tomb
    Mar 10, 2008
    Ok, kids, honestly i you like this movie, dont, go and read a book or something, how are you going to get in life with a person named ash or i call his"ass" and all this vomiting pile of garbage with animals that dont make sense! dragons, yellow animals that lightning, and the list goes on.... F-.
  11. Kitty
    Mar 4, 2008
    Erk...Okay, I must admit, I like Pokemon. I got hooked when I bought Pokemon Diamond and FireRed...but this movie made me want to carve my eyes and ears out with a very dull spoon...the lines are the very essence of "Cheesy", and the animations DO get a bit repetitive...the plot has enough faults to make the San Andreas Fault look like a tiny crack on the concrete, and I actuallyErk...Okay, I must admit, I like Pokemon. I got hooked when I bought Pokemon Diamond and FireRed...but this movie made me want to carve my eyes and ears out with a very dull spoon...the lines are the very essence of "Cheesy", and the animations DO get a bit repetitive...the plot has enough faults to make the San Andreas Fault look like a tiny crack on the concrete, and I actually didn't expect my favorite voice actor Dan Green to play with such a...monotone voice. Pokemon showed it's ugliness via this movie, and, even though I'm only a kid, a Pokemon liking, Yu-Gi-Oh! addicted kid, I'm going to go all out and wrap this up neatly at the same time: THIS. MOVIE. IS. BAD. Expand
  12. KevinB.
    Dec 31, 2006
    The sad fact of life is that most people on our good green earth are what I like to call "sheep." Meaning most people on earth follow each other." Everyone ELSE is doing it, so I think I will too." I will admit. When it first came out, I was into the card game, cause I just happen to be a cardgame kinda guy. But the mere fact that this series has dragged on this long is pathetic. What The sad fact of life is that most people on our good green earth are what I like to call "sheep." Meaning most people on earth follow each other." Everyone ELSE is doing it, so I think I will too." I will admit. When it first came out, I was into the card game, cause I just happen to be a cardgame kinda guy. But the mere fact that this series has dragged on this long is pathetic. What this is, is just a GIANT movie length commercial. "Buy more stuff". The whole movie is not all like this though. There actually is a plot..if you can call it that without vomiting. Basically, you've got this kid who's out on an adventure to capture these evil little creatures called Pokemon (japanese for "poket monsters"). Sounds entertaining until you see it. Horrible voice acting and cheesy lines will have adults and older kids begging for mercy. A pointless waste of time, money and sanity. I would only reccomend this for parents only if you really need your young kids to be quiet for a little bit, then this will more than likely keep them occupied. Expand
  13. liz
    May 13, 2005
    Ok,not impresseve but ok.
  14. CourtneyCantSay
    Jun 20, 2004
    Cool graphics and its a pokemon movie of corse its cool.
  15. Layne
    Jul 25, 2003
    On the same bloated, bland, and idiotic level where the first two trainwrecks had been critically perched. I can't imagine an animated franchise as bad as this, because Pokemon just keeps getting worse.
  16. WuffS.
    Feb 12, 2002
    Oh dear. No, that's not a comment at the film you see but rather at the incompetence of movie critics. I sigh at them, as I usually do. Does anyone actually rely on them? No, I didn't think so. See, I rather thought that if you didn't like a movie involving bright colours, odd yet cute creatures and unending optimism, then you wouldn't go and watch the film. You'd Oh dear. No, that's not a comment at the film you see but rather at the incompetence of movie critics. I sigh at them, as I usually do. Does anyone actually rely on them? No, I didn't think so. See, I rather thought that if you didn't like a movie involving bright colours, odd yet cute creatures and unending optimism, then you wouldn't go and watch the film. You'd look at the poster and say 'Urgh, this looks like a film of -- etc -- I don't think I'll watch it.' Yet here we have the critics, as usual, trying to tell people the obvious. The movie is perplexing you say? I think they're more perplexing. They might aswell stand in a park and point at a daisy and say; Yellow, isn't it an annoying shade of yellow, look at the yellow everyone, isn't it annoying? Of course, who's annoying in the end, the flower or the fool standing around in a suit stating the obvious? There's a simple truth about this film and it all depends upon yourself. Yes, it is all colour, sound and things going boom. Yes, it is needlessly wholesome and optimistic. Is that a bad thing or a good thing though? Well, that's up to you and you didn't really need to tell me what the film was about did you? You only have to look at the advertisements to know. The real question is; how anally retentive are you? See, now that's a question critics need to be asking instead of just pointing at the yellow daisies. Sure it's a commercial, we know that already. Is it enjoyable? That's all down to each person. Personally (for those of you that's watched, read or heard HitcHiker's Guide to the Galaxy) I honestly believe we need to put all these useless people into a pod and shoot them out into space, to have them crashland on a Planet elsewhere so they can be the problem of some other poor sods. Sure it's fine to give criticque but what's the point of saying; This is this and I don't like this? That annoys me. Why not decide whether you like it or not before you review it and then give your opinion based on plausible reasons? Like maybe examining the film plot perhaps? Would this be a good thing for your kids to watch? Eh, why not. Amongst all the killing and such today, I find the wholesome optimistic nature of Pokémon a nice break. So, yup, it's simple, it's silly and most importantly, it's fun and as usual, delightfully trippy. Are you a plaide suit or a white tuxedo person? Do you worry about the roughness of your toilet paper? Well, like I said, this is all down to you. I know I love it and personally, I'd never listen to any critics before watching a movie. I wonder? Are they paid a lot? Maybe I'll go to the nearby park, point at daisies and see how annoying they are and see if anyone pays me a lot of money. The sad irony is that my pay would probably come in lead projectiles. How do they survive? Expand
  17. WildtheBlueMew
    Nov 22, 2001
    The movie was many times more enjoyable than the first few; including a few sentimental moments, and parts some children can relate to. (I know some that have grown up without a mother or father.) By the way, Digimon was created before Pokemon. It could not be copying, then.
  18. Rattata
    Nov 3, 2001
    Pokemon is a super star!! Digimon is just copy from Pokemon.
  19. RobertK.
    Sep 30, 2001
    I rate this movie a 10 because Pokemon is the best and everyone will love this film. And I don't like Digimon...It's a copy of Pokemon.
  20. NiallH.
    Aug 1, 2001
    One of the best movies of this year for the under 12's.
  21. JayRaymundY.
    Jul 11, 2001
    Pokemon d best.
  22. JohnJ.
    Jul 7, 2001
    I totally disagree with your comments Andrew J. A Bulbasaur is not a valuable Pokemon to have in your lineup. And also an Eevee could not beat a Blastoise. One Hydro Pump and Eevee would be molecularized forever. I am sure that the best Pokemon has got to be Charcolt. Even though he is not an evolutionary Pokemon, his Flame Wheel could scorch any Pokemon.
  23. AndrewJ.
    Jul 5, 2001
    I loved this movie. My favorite Pokemon is Bulbasaur. He vine whips through Pikachu so well!!! They are so cute even Eevee. He could beat even a BLASTOISE!
  24. KneoM.
    Jun 20, 2001
    The movie was great. The new characters really made cool entrances!
  25. Paolo670
    May 27, 2001
    Why watch Pokemon when there is Digimon. On the other hand loyal Pokemon fanatics will still love this movie.

1. Reviewed by: Cody Clark
    If you can overlook its condescending wholesomeness and static, visually drab, endlessly repetitious animation, then you have a more forgiving soul than I do.
  2. Reviewed by: Loren King
    This predictable, uninspired third installment to the endless saga won't win over non-believers.
  3. Reviewed by: Loren King
    This predictable, uninspired addition to the endless saga won't win over nonbelievers.