Warner Bros. Pictures | Release Date: April 6, 2001
6.7
Generally favorable reviews based on 83 Ratings
WATCH NOW
GamecubeLoverJul 27, 2016
In metascore I would rate this a 79. The movie has a good plot and the formula of the movie doesn't get stall. This movie ain't to enjoyable for adults but totally for pokemon fans.
KasaiWolfJan 23, 2015
Geez some of the reviews on this probably were watching another movie

Anyway if your not a Pokemon fan then do me a favor and leave now. I don't even know why your here if your not a Pokemon fan. In terms of the Pokemon movies I would
Geez some of the reviews on this probably were watching another movie

In terms of the Pokemon movies I would rate this one as one of the best. It's got tense moments from start to finish. It's got good paced action and a good story.

The movie was better in the fact that you actually see most of Ash's Pokemon battle in this movie rather than perform menial tasks like at the start battle and the battle with Entei.

It's also helped by the fact that there's no true villian and more actual emotion than the first two movies (except maybe for Mewtwo). Molly is a girl who lives with her Father and when he vanishes she simply wishes for a family unaware of how dangerous her wish actually is. Entei who is there to make Molly happy regardless of the consequences and the Unknown who are only doing what comes naturally to them.

Apart from the usual "save the world" that's become the norm for most of the Pokemon movies. This one also features Ash having to save his Mom which adds to the tension faced. It's also helped that Brock and Misty also have a battle and actually show their own skills as Pokemon trainers with Brock battling on the land and Misty battling in her element, under water.

Ash isn't as clueless as he usually is in the anime. He battles with fierce determination and actually shows he has learned something. Which is also something missed in the later seasons.

Overall if you liked the first two check out this one and if you haven't seen it then do check it out.
NerdConsultantOct 26, 2014
this is the definitive Pokemon Movie for me it has great animation, interesting characters and a story that really uses certain untouched aspects of the franchise to good effect

i can't even call this a guilty pleasure i'll stand by this

i can't even call this a guilty pleasure i'll stand by this being a good movie
Iky009Jan 5, 2014
Miseravelmente ruim.Miseravelmente ruim. Expand
ewormPLAug 26, 2013
I am absolutely shocked at how bad this movie's reviews here are! Definitely the best thing Pokémon has to offer in terms of anime, be it the TV show or the movies this film is not only a dream come true for any Pokémon fan, but also a veryI am absolutely shocked at how bad this movie's reviews here are! Definitely the best thing Pokémon has to offer in terms of anime, be it the TV show or the movies this film is not only a dream come true for any Pokémon fan, but also a very good family movie in general.

While still present, Pokémon themselves are downplayed enough for the brilliant, mature and genuinely touching story to fully manifest itself. The animation is very good, music multiplies the experience very much, the action scenes are exciting, characters surprisingly intelligent (tends to be a big problem with Pokémon series) and authentic, but most of all again, the story of this movie is absolutely fantastic. Mature and clever, it doesn't talk down to the kids and doesn't push the lesson down their throat, while still managing to get it across very well.

While the anime series and the newer movies under the Pokémon title tend to disappoint me more and more, this little masterpiece I can honestly recommend to anybody, Pokéfan or not, kid or adult.
ZegilgameshDec 28, 2012
If you're a hardcore fan, this is nonstop entertainment from start to finish. It you're not, most definitely give it a pass, for this is very, very weak.
aaronpaul121Oct 3, 2012
Another awful Pokemon film....I have nothing to say anymore.........
ZilcellNov 6, 2011
The best of the Pokemon movies that were released theatrically. Most kids will enjoy it but some adults may be bored with it quickly because it is pokemon, after all.
grandpajoe6191Oct 19, 2011
Indisputably terrible with such crappy script. Even my dumb sister didn't get the movie.
Nick5414Oct 1, 2011
I really like it
gm101Mar 4, 2011
Pokemon 2000 was bad, but this was worse. No other Pokemon movie can ever be as good as the first awesome one. Same goes for the series, which should've ended after the second season! And is it me, or are there way too many Pokemon games?Pokemon 2000 was bad, but this was worse. No other Pokemon movie can ever be as good as the first awesome one. Same goes for the series, which should've ended after the second season! And is it me, or are there way too many Pokemon games? Thank you Nintendo for constantly milking and ruining Pokemon. Expand
MovieLonely94Oct 25, 2010
if you like Pokemon movies 1 and 2, then this is the one you've been looking for.
tombMar 10, 2008
Ok, kids, honestly i you like this movie, dont, go and read a book or something, how are you going to get in life with a person named ash or i call his"ass" and all this vomiting pile of garbage with animals that dont make sense! dragons, Ok, kids, honestly i you like this movie, dont, go and read a book or something, how are you going to get in life with a person named ash or i call his"ass" and all this vomiting pile of garbage with animals that dont make sense! dragons, yellow animals that lightning, and the list goes on.... F-. Expand
0 of 2 users found this helpful
KittyMar 4, 2008
Erk...Okay, I must admit, I like Pokemon. I got hooked when I bought Pokemon Diamond and FireRed...but this movie made me want to carve my eyes and ears out with a very dull spoon...the lines are the very essence of "Cheesy", and theErk...Okay, I must admit, I like Pokemon. I got hooked when I bought Pokemon Diamond and FireRed...but this movie made me want to carve my eyes and ears out with a very dull spoon...the lines are the very essence of "Cheesy", and the animations DO get a bit repetitive...the plot has enough faults to make the San Andreas Fault look like a tiny crack on the concrete, and I actually didn't expect my favorite voice actor Dan Green to play with such a...monotone voice. Pokemon showed it's ugliness via this movie, and, even though I'm only a kid, a Pokemon liking, Yu-Gi-Oh! addicted kid, I'm going to go all out and wrap this up neatly at the same time: THIS. MOVIE. IS. BAD. Expand
0 of 3 users found this helpful
KevinB.Dec 31, 2006
The sad fact of life is that most people on our good green earth are what I like to call "sheep." Meaning most people on earth follow each other." Everyone ELSE is doing it, so I think I will too." I will admit. When it first came out, I was The sad fact of life is that most people on our good green earth are what I like to call "sheep." Meaning most people on earth follow each other." Everyone ELSE is doing it, so I think I will too." I will admit. When it first came out, I was into the card game, cause I just happen to be a cardgame kinda guy. But the mere fact that this series has dragged on this long is pathetic. What this is, is just a GIANT movie length commercial. "Buy more stuff". The whole movie is not all like this though. There actually is a plot..if you can call it that without vomiting. Basically, you've got this kid who's out on an adventure to capture these evil little creatures called Pokemon (japanese for "poket monsters"). Sounds entertaining until you see it. Horrible voice acting and cheesy lines will have adults and older kids begging for mercy. A pointless waste of time, money and sanity. I would only reccomend this for parents only if you really need your young kids to be quiet for a little bit, then this will more than likely keep them occupied. Expand
0 of 0 users found this helpful