Warner Bros. Pictures | Release Date: November 10, 1999
7.5
Generally favorable reviews based on 127 Ratings
WATCH NOW
ElizebethApr 26, 2006
Mewtwo is a really cool character idea. It's a cool story line and I really like it. The only thing that I'm commenting on the bad side is that Pikachu's vacation is cheesy.
6 of 6 users found this helpful
ZilcellMar 21, 2012
It is great for Pokemon fans and decent enough for some others to enjoy it. The story may come off as a surprise to some.
GamecubeLoverJul 27, 2016
The hate about this movie is a bit confusing but some of the hate is a bit reasonable and in metascore I would rate this an 83. There is a sad part in the movie that make me cry. ;-;
Jack101Feb 17, 2014
I don't get the hate really, do you know how difficult it is to mix animation and emotion and a life learned lesson (via Voilence is never the answer) all together in a full length film? Honestly, give them a break and appreciate their work.
SEROJMar 12, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. With terrible story and ending. Pokemon The First Movie is probably the worst "Pokemon" experience you can get! Why MewTwo gave up on the end? Just because Ash got in the middle of the clash? I thought he hated humans,because they're "traitors". And why did he killed the people who created him? This movie has SO MUCH issues, i would give it a 2/10 or 3/10 but it's one of my childhood movies and i love the nostalgia feeling so my final score is 4/10
Not recommended especially if you're not a pokemon fan!
GlitterAug 30, 2013
Despite the childish source, the material is rather bleak, and centric on the meaning of one's life with the questioning of being. Perhaps best viewed as expanded episode of the earlier Pokemon anime, Mewtwo Strikes Back works as anDespite the childish source, the material is rather bleak, and centric on the meaning of one's life with the questioning of being. Perhaps best viewed as expanded episode of the earlier Pokemon anime, Mewtwo Strikes Back works as an abecedarian to Pokemon, and an amateur pedagony in philosophy. Expand
EdgeyxJun 26, 2011
I'm a massive fan of all things Pokémon so I found it really hard to dislike, but if i had to I would say that I didn't like the friendship moral's but I guess that just comes with it being a film targeted at kids.
gm101Dec 1, 2010
The only good Pokemon movie ever made (although I thought the commercials for Pokemon 2000 were cool). I have very fond childhood memories of this movie, and I always watch this movie to relive those good memories.
eTurkeyMar 2, 2012
Chances are you're most probably a fan of the television show if you see this movie. Or at least you should be because only a real PokéManiac would like everything about this feature, even the not so good aspects. NoticeableChances are you're most probably a fan of the television show if you see this movie. Or at least you should be because only a real PokéManiac would like everything about this feature, even the not so good aspects. Noticeable differences from the anime include better animation (larger budget no doubt) which is this film's strong suit, but sadly it more or less ends there. The story is rather bland and stereotypical, especially the abrupt ending. The music seemed strange and although easy on the ears it didn't match the mood of the flick. Expand
MovieLonely94Oct 25, 2010
a great film
ZegilgameshDec 31, 2012
Pokemon is a delight for fans and young kids, but it features choppy animation, a weak script, hypocritical morals, and forgettable characters, and is easily outclassed by other animations like Princess Monoke.
baloon123Jul 27, 2014
Its a good movie and its my favorite of all of the Pokemon movies. I always watch this movie as a kid and it gives me memories of my childhood again.
aaronpaul121Oct 3, 2012
Absolutely terrible....though it is a little bit better than its next films.............
grandpajoe6191Oct 19, 2011
Foolish, preposterous, a big wannabe tearjerker that probably is to the genuine Pokemon fans.
NerdConsultantOct 27, 2014
ok i'll fully admit this isn't really a good movie but as pokemon fan i can't bring myself to dislike it. i think the films biggest weaknesses is Mewtwo being a hypocritical villain, the ending rendering the entire movie pointless and theok i'll fully admit this isn't really a good movie but as pokemon fan i can't bring myself to dislike it. i think the films biggest weaknesses is Mewtwo being a hypocritical villain, the ending rendering the entire movie pointless and the worst anti fighting message in a film ever considering that it's coming from a franchise all about fighting. still the animation and action are great and the film at least feels big enough to warrant a cinematic release Expand
Luigithemetal64Sep 4, 2015
Critics hate this movie because of the dubbing. That's always the problem, especially when 4Kids are dubbing shows like Sonic X. The acting is off, the dialog is flat, and bland, scenes are cut, signs blanked out even in already completeCritics hate this movie because of the dubbing. That's always the problem, especially when 4Kids are dubbing shows like Sonic X. The acting is off, the dialog is flat, and bland, scenes are cut, signs blanked out even in already complete english, and the dubs are just not direct translations. The Japanese version is what's great about them, the tone is a way to make animation taken seriously, and maybe aimed towards older audiences.

You may like the movie as a kid, but when you're older, you're thinking if you want to get back to it. Even the Pikachu short in Japanese is still annoying because those shorts don't even feature subtitles of what the Pokemon are saying. The soundtrack in the US version is well done, while the Japanese version is mood fitting. For me, I do recommend the Japanese version for it's darker plot like Mewtwo wishes to wipe out humanity because he wasn't created by god, but recent Japanese video formats used CGI done by 4Kids. That's right--Special Edition Pokemon, just like the Special Edition Star Wars. You can only get the Japanese theatrical version as well as hand drawn clouds on the first VHS releases, and the best one is on the Laserdisc.

Overall, I consider the US version as possibly my lowest rated Pokemon movie in the theatrical trilogy, but if you want a better version, always go for the Japanese. US dub: 3/10, JP: 6:10
EpicLadySpongeFeb 23, 2016
I get it... critics hating on it. Blah blah blah. That's funny because we're all critics and we're giving this support. Hey, at least it's better than my latest low score.
XxWolfxXAug 16, 2016
This movie is a donkey **** The whole plot is made irrelevant and that Ash being brought back to life with tears is one of the worst plot devices in cinematic history. Aside from 2 memorable quotes...This movie is garbage.
gameguardian21Sep 17, 2016
This pokemon movie will probably please the fans, but thats about all. It's just anime movie that all the others suffer. And while it can get interesting at times, it just doesn't help out that we really don't have characters to care about,This pokemon movie will probably please the fans, but thats about all. It's just anime movie that all the others suffer. And while it can get interesting at times, it just doesn't help out that we really don't have characters to care about, if your not a pokemon fan. Expand
gOct 8, 2016
No other kid finds it entertaining but some of it is on-following for those who dosen't understand anything about Pokemon like it has it's own film but really should be for television.