6.0

1. Jan 17, 2014
    Overuse of CGI, a jumble of writing, and a series of scenes that made me ask, could these people even exist? A ships sinking normally interests me, for I am a buff of wrecks and ship disasters and I've always been interested in the history of these sunken vessels, but this film looks more to me like an animation mixed with real people, only it's uncanny and to an extent disturbing. ShouldOveruse of CGI, a jumble of writing, and a series of scenes that made me ask, could these people even exist? A ships sinking normally interests me, for I am a buff of wrecks and ship disasters and I've always been interested in the history of these sunken vessels, but this film looks more to me like an animation mixed with real people, only it's uncanny and to an extent disturbing. Should have stuck with the original, plain and simple. It's macabre in every shape, size, and hue. Expand

You'll end up entertained if you forgive the cliches and let Petersen grab you with the visuals.
  2. Among the willing cast, only Jacinda Barrett and topliners Josh Lucas, Kurt Russell and Richard Dreyfuss manage, just barely, to suggest a third dimension to the script's cursory character sketches. But that won't matter to audiences craving a disaster thrill ride.
  3. Reviewed by: Brian Lowry
    Thanks to its simple construction, Wolfgang Petersen's large-scale liner moves reasonably well, though anyone with the faintest memory of its 1972 predecessor will wonder where most of the plot went.