Poseidon

6.0

1. chelsea
    Jan 31, 2009
    This movie was soo intense! some parts made me cry. but i couldn't find anything wrong with it. and plus josh lucas is sexy which is good enough for me !
  2. Feb 24, 2013
    Every bit as dramatic and action packed as the original. All it's lacking is the character development the original had, which is more than made up for by the special effects. Very entertaining edge of your seat movie, every bit as good as the original.
  3. Dec 12, 2015
    This is literally the best film I've ever seen. So much excitement. The actors were good, the storyline was good. I enjoyed the film from the beginning till the end. I would 100% recommend this film!
  4. VinodS.
    May 16, 2006
    superb movie!!!!!!!!!! i loooove the movie so much... full of adventure, suspense, n thrilled wid the special effects... wow rely mind blowing.. for those who lik adv superb effects n nail biting scenes i recommend tis movie.
  5. Daz
    Jun 20, 2006
    I really don't know why this film is getting such bad reviews. Both my wife and i thought it was ace. The effects and edge of the seat moments were worth the entry money alone. A great movie and i think it is even better than the (great) original.
  6. Ang
    Oct 5, 2006
    I loved the movie, even started looking online to see if this was made from an actual event and I ended up here instead. [***SPOILERS***] I cried when the dad died. So I'm glad I rented it to see at home instead of the movies. I give the singer a 0 cause she is just nasty.
  7. MichelleC.
    May 10, 2006
    This movie is what it is, a disaster flick. It is exciting and will be entertaining to anyone who simply enjoys a good adventure movie for being just that. That said, I did, however, wish for a longer intro and more character development. The trailer was barely over before disaster struck.
  8. ZeusA.
    May 18, 2006
    Excellent! suspenseful with good human interest moments. cant see why some people are so bitter over it. This is not like the original. to want to releive that is foolish. It kept my attention the whole way and I cared for what happened to the characters. also its funny that the negative reviewers "hate" this movie. how unfortunate that a movie that shows people helping each other in Excellent! suspenseful with good human interest moments. cant see why some people are so bitter over it. This is not like the original. to want to releive that is foolish. It kept my attention the whole way and I cared for what happened to the characters. also its funny that the negative reviewers "hate" this movie. how unfortunate that a movie that shows people helping each other in order to get through a terrible disaster should produce "hate" in a movie reviewer. there is nothing to "hate" about this movie. thats a big fat misrepresentation of this movie's experience and message. See it without any bias and maybe, in the middle of all the action and suspense, the movie's intertwined and heartfelt human interest message will be experienced and enjoyed. Expand
  9. StephanieG.
    May 21, 2007
    I loved this movie so much! I thought that the "edge of your seat moments" were awesome, especially when Richard Nelson was almost crushed by the elevator or Dylan Johns was almost sucked into the propeller tube trying to shove the tank of gas into it. I know everyone has their own opinion but I can't see how you could possibly not like the movie! I never have seen the original but I I loved this movie so much! I thought that the "edge of your seat moments" were awesome, especially when Richard Nelson was almost crushed by the elevator or Dylan Johns was almost sucked into the propeller tube trying to shove the tank of gas into it. I know everyone has their own opinion but I can't see how you could possibly not like the movie! I never have seen the original but I heard that the special affects are a lot more advanced and realistic. I really enjoyed the movie and I hope my comment was helpful. Expand
  10. BethanS
    Jul 30, 2007
    This film is great it has nail biting moments and great actors like Josh Lucas. I don't know how any one could not like this film people have worked really hard on this film putting a lot of effort in and they sure pulled it off. One of the best moments in the film is when they are climbing through the vent it is so realistic. Characters Dylan, Eleana and Nelson make that a great This film is great it has nail biting moments and great actors like Josh Lucas. I don't know how any one could not like this film people have worked really hard on this film putting a lot of effort in and they sure pulled it off. One of the best moments in the film is when they are climbing through the vent it is so realistic. Characters Dylan, Eleana and Nelson make that a great scene. I could watch it again and again and never get tired of it. Expand
  11. MikeS.
    May 11, 2006
    Great movie... a little short on plot, but the action is phenomenal. Josh Lucas is great also.
  12. LynseyC.
    May 21, 2006
    I was pleasantly surprised at this movie, especially with the lower rating. Yes, there was some predictibility, but this was pretty decent for an action flick.
  13. TomH.
    May 21, 2006
    Petersen turns up the action and turns down the melodrama on the 1972 incarnation of Gallico's novel. Gone are the sermons, the soul-searching and the theme song; the characters don't have time to ponder whether there's going to be a morning after (or whether they
  14. StuartM.
    Jul 21, 2006
    I loved it! I cant understand why people found it terrible, their stupid! It was Fantastic.
  15. CameronS.
    Sep 11, 2006
    Very good movie.
  16. BradB.
    Jul 7, 2008
    Petersen gets a lot out of his actors, atleast it felt like they all could be close to death at any time. For some reason, and maybe because of the disaster film label that started with the first one in'72, I think the movie got a bit of a bad rap. I noticed that Dreyfus had nothing to do with the special feature interviews. Better than the original, and without the campy dialogue.
  17. JessicaW.
    Nov 7, 2006
    Ok. I understand everyone has different opinions, thats fine. Personally, I thought the movie was one of the best I've ever seen and am now completely obsessed with it. Plus, Fergie was great. But, to those of you saying, "It was nothing like the original Poseidon," let me ay this. If this movie were like the original, it would be boring. It's so much more modern and the ship is Ok. I understand everyone has different opinions, thats fine. Personally, I thought the movie was one of the best I've ever seen and am now completely obsessed with it. Plus, Fergie was great. But, to those of you saying, "It was nothing like the original Poseidon," let me ay this. If this movie were like the original, it would be boring. It's so much more modern and the ship is more beautiful. I thought the effects were great, Woldgang spent so much money on the effects and if anyone watched the special features, his intentions were to make this Poseidon completely different from the original. He wanted the main idea of a ship sinking from a rogue wave with a few people trying to survive. I found the movie very interesting and I just wanted to let all of you negative reviewers know of his intentions. :) Expand
  18. AlexC.
    Dec 25, 2006
    I liked the movie very much. It was so thrilling that i was shaking for most of it. But I noticed that the actors were like swimming in water the whole time which was kind of weird because, if you think about, the boat had lots of electricity. When you were a child, didn't you ever hear the saying "Water and Electricity don't mix." In other words, nobody should had been alive at I liked the movie very much. It was so thrilling that i was shaking for most of it. But I noticed that the actors were like swimming in water the whole time which was kind of weird because, if you think about, the boat had lots of electricity. When you were a child, didn't you ever hear the saying "Water and Electricity don't mix." In other words, nobody should had been alive at the end of the movie. The instant they dived in the water they should have died. John B. was right. This actually did look like a Fear Factor show. Especially when they were in the tanks when they were flooding. Expand
  19. GuillermoP.
    May 12, 2006
    Poseidon was a good movie, i recommend it to others out there. The movie is very interesting and keeps you on your toes and wondering what's going to happen next.
  20. JustinH.
    May 12, 2006
    Unbelievably intense.
  21. KeithD.
    May 13, 2006
    A great film , Then and now. And a great new story for todays viewers. A short intro leads to non-stop action and suspense. Irwin Allen would be proud and gratious to all involved. Keith M. Donkersley Alb. N. M
  22. ChristopherW.
    May 14, 2006
    Yes, the movie is short on plot and the characters are pretty thin, but I found the film to be a well acted, terse, exciting, and visually visceral film. The extended scene in which the ship actually overturns is extraordinarily well done and quite awe inspiring. Also, who couldn't resist Josh Lucas and those ol' baby blues!
  23. SusanM.
    May 15, 2006
    I went in not expecting much and came out really happy! I thought this was an excellent film and would highly recommend it to anyone. Lots of action and adventure!!
  24. Steve
    May 15, 2006
    This was one of the best movies i have ever seen truly well done.
  25. SelinaL.
    May 15, 2006
    It was an entertaining movie! Those who didn't get entertained (looking for character depth, blah blah) were watching the wrong MOVIE! You don't watch "American Beauty" and expect action and suspense, so don't watch "Poiseidon" looking for character depth and the blah blah. It was fun to WATCH, it was ENTERTAINING and I liked it!
  26. WillM.
    May 18, 2006
    Wonderful movie that remains true to the general formula of the 1972 original, yet deviates enough to dismiss some of the predictability. This remake has spectacular catastrophic effects so realistically graphic, they will drop the jaws of some of even the most jaded viewers. To watch this movie and not get somewhat emotionally attached and sympathetic for what the characters must endure, Wonderful movie that remains true to the general formula of the 1972 original, yet deviates enough to dismiss some of the predictability. This remake has spectacular catastrophic effects so realistically graphic, they will drop the jaws of some of even the most jaded viewers. To watch this movie and not get somewhat emotionally attached and sympathetic for what the characters must endure, despite what some say is a lack of character developmen, probably means that action/suspense is not your genre to watch. Collapse
  27. Apr 15, 2011
    Let's be honest this was not the best movie made at the time of its release, but it was enjoyable not doubt, I cant really praise the acting of the actors except for the little kid who did really a good job at such young age and the Spanish woman who i think acted AMAZING and brought tension to the movie, i love this no doubt
  28. Sep 2, 2012
    The movie was actually pretty exciting and a different kind of destruction movie. The visuals were great, and the adventure to safety kept me attentive. Suspenseful and thrilling.
  29. Jun 29, 2016
    The acting wasn't bad, the movie was action packed and intense and it was entertaining all the way through. The special effects may not hold up very well with today standards but it's still a good movie.

You'll end up entertained if you forgive the cliches and let Petersen grab you with the visuals.
  2. Among the willing cast, only Jacinda Barrett and topliners Josh Lucas, Kurt Russell and Richard Dreyfuss manage, just barely, to suggest a third dimension to the script's cursory character sketches. But that won't matter to audiences craving a disaster thrill ride.
  3. Reviewed by: Brian Lowry
    Thanks to its simple construction, Wolfgang Petersen's large-scale liner moves reasonably well, though anyone with the faintest memory of its 1972 predecessor will wonder where most of the plot went.