6.0

1. Aug 28, 2014
    I don't usually like to watch films like this, as I don't like the nervous, uneasy feeling I experience while watching them. However, I wanted to give this a chance.

A New Year's celebration on a luxury cruiser Poseidon is underway, leading us through brief introductions of our future cast (some of the most delightful being an aging gay-man Richard Nelson and an ex-navy Dylan Johns), when a rogue wave appears quite suddenly (no time wasted there) and makes the cruiser do half an Eskimo Roll.

Up is down, and the remaining survivors hope that their ship stays afloat until rescuers arrives. Not everyone is that optimistic, however, and the previously introduced characters start an uncertain climb for possible survival.

Through cramped spaces and crystal clear waters - with some fiery inferno to boot - the group thins and obstacle after another arises to dampen their spirits. I think the cast's performances were good, and none of the issues they had to deal with were too unbelievable. That, of course, makes the situations only worse to watch.

In the spirit of all similar movies before this, and probably after as well, some of the characters make it while others don't. You could make some guesses as to who might not make it, which is part of the "entertaining" factor of the story. Also, I have no idea what drowning really looks like, but we had at least one very good version of it in here.

All in all, a good disaster story, I guess. It didn't seem too impossible or too long, and this will probably make you eye to horizon for a bit longer the next time you dare to put your foot in a boat of any size.
  2. Aug 24, 2014
    A remake is not always an automatic negative. The visuals are quite impressive, and if you look beyond some mediocre acting, you actually may be entertained.
  3. Jan 17, 2014
    Overuse of CGI, a jumble of writing, and a series of scenes that made me ask, could these people even exist? A ships sinking normally interests me, for I am a buff of wrecks and ship disasters and I've always been interested in the history of these sunken vessels, but this film looks more to me like an animation mixed with real people, only it's uncanny and to an extent disturbing. ShouldOveruse of CGI, a jumble of writing, and a series of scenes that made me ask, could these people even exist? A ships sinking normally interests me, for I am a buff of wrecks and ship disasters and I've always been interested in the history of these sunken vessels, but this film looks more to me like an animation mixed with real people, only it's uncanny and to an extent disturbing. Should have stuck with the original, plain and simple. It's macabre in every shape, size, and hue. Expand
  4. Jun 13, 2013
    I really enjoyed this movie. I cannot understand all the negative comments associated with it at all. If you go and watch a movie called Poseidon you should expect to see a big ship go belly up and then a fight for survival and that is exactly what we get.
  5. Feb 24, 2013
    Every bit as dramatic and action packed as the original. All it's lacking is the character development the original had, which is more than made up for by the special effects. Very entertaining edge of your seat movie, every bit as good as the original.
  6. Sep 2, 2012
    A pretty pathetic movie with cliches over all the place. the acting was below average as well as the writing but at least the action and visuals were good.
  7. Sep 2, 2012
    The movie was actually pretty exciting and a different kind of destruction movie. The visuals were great, and the adventure to safety kept me attentive. Suspenseful and thrilling.
  8. May 3, 2012
    One half of me says to continue watching this film, the other half thinks it should sink dead in the water and I should flip on something else. For an action/disaster movie 'Poseidon' is rather, well... safe. And easy to foretell. Predictable at best to be perfectly honest. It's neither boring nor bland and some of the "escape" scenes are well directed but overall this feature offersOne half of me says to continue watching this film, the other half thinks it should sink dead in the water and I should flip on something else. For an action/disaster movie 'Poseidon' is rather, well... safe. And easy to foretell. Predictable at best to be perfectly honest. It's neither boring nor bland and some of the "escape" scenes are well directed but overall this feature offers nothing new in the genre. Truth be told, pick a side (heads or tails) and then throw a coin in the air to determine this picture's fate because it honestly could go either way. Expand
  9. Apr 15, 2011
    Let's be honest this was not the best movie made at the time of its release, but it was enjoyable not doubt, I cant really praise the acting of the actors except for the little kid who did really a good job at such young age and the Spanish woman who i think acted AMAZING and brought tension to the movie, i love this no doubt

You'll end up entertained if you forgive the cliches and let Petersen grab you with the visuals.
  2. Among the willing cast, only Jacinda Barrett and topliners Josh Lucas, Kurt Russell and Richard Dreyfuss manage, just barely, to suggest a third dimension to the script's cursory character sketches. But that won't matter to audiences craving a disaster thrill ride.
  3. Reviewed by: Brian Lowry
    Thanks to its simple construction, Wolfgang Petersen's large-scale liner moves reasonably well, though anyone with the faintest memory of its 1972 predecessor will wonder where most of the plot went.