Columbia Pictures | Release Date: August 24, 2012
6.8
Generally favorable reviews based on 187 Ratings
WATCH NOW
KooSep 7, 2012
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. As I commuter cyclist (I ride my bike to work every day, 5-6 days per week) I was really looking forward to this movie. It wouldn't take much to impress me either - just a good dose of realism, and the occaisional thing I can relate to. Unfortunately, Premium Rush is mostly a standard Hollywood affair, with several obvious "bloopers" such as bikes that are completely trashed one minute and requiring only minor adjustments the next. The cycling aspect of this movie is so totally false - everything from how the actors ride their bikes to how the movie portrays what happens in collisions with vehicles. Also, it gets basic physics wrong too - during a bike race scene between two bike couriers, the cyclist with the steel bike gains on the carbon fibre framed bicycle going UPHILL and falls behind while going DOWNHILL. This is, of course, the opposite of what happens in reality as anyone who rides a bicycle in a group knows well. So should you watch this movie? Well, it depends. If you aren't a cyclist and you are simply looking for 90 minutes of good clean fun, then sure, go see it. But if you are a cyclist, particularyl a passionate one like I am, then steer clear of this one. There are better cycling films out there and better films period. 6/10 Expand
asthobaskoroSep 26, 2012
Premium Rush's non-linear storyline end up confusing, but thanks keep pushing my adrenaline. Terrific chasing bike scene itself is worth the ticket price.
SantiagoMAKiiNASep 17, 2012
I liked this movie. I went in expecting very little. In fact, I watched the movie because the projector went down on another screening room. Turned out for the better.
All the elements were there. The story was entertaining enough, the
All the elements were there. The story was entertaining enough, the visuals were cool, and all actors pulled it off, except for Michael Shannon, his rendition of a detective was too comedic to buy it. Still it was very watchable.
We won't understand the Dalai Lama better or figure a way to solve world hunger, but if you have a big bucket of popcorn and a, preferably, attractive companion with you, this is definitely the ticket.
Tbrown15Aug 28, 2012
Ever since 2009 hit (500) days of summer, Joseph Gordan-Levitt has been on one huge ride to the top, (G.I. Joe: Rise of Cobra), which wasn
BrianMcCriticMar 11, 2013
This movie is a big disappointment. My biggest problem with this film is the script stinks and Jamie Chung's accent is cringe worthy. The bike scenes are kind of cool and JGL is good, but it's not enough to save this film.
seancriswellAug 25, 2012
About the best thing that can be said about this movie is that Gordon-Levitt and Shannon do what they are asked to do with the characters they are given. The movie has very little plot, and what plot there is we don't have any investment in.About the best thing that can be said about this movie is that Gordon-Levitt and Shannon do what they are asked to do with the characters they are given. The movie has very little plot, and what plot there is we don't have any investment in. The bike riding seems cool, but only for a minute, better to search for bike messengers on you tube if that's what your coming to the film for. Overall a highly forgettable thriller. Collapse
MarcDoyleSep 11, 2012
About half way through this film, I thought to myself, "Wow, that 66 Metascore is pretty generous for this very average B-Movie!" I mean, sure, it's an adrenaline rush, but the acting is horrid. Jamie Chung is easily the weakest link - herAbout half way through this film, I thought to myself, "Wow, that 66 Metascore is pretty generous for this very average B-Movie!" I mean, sure, it's an adrenaline rush, but the acting is horrid. Jamie Chung is easily the weakest link - her Mandarin accent is ridiculous. Michael Shannon is an excellent actor, but he's so far over-the-top in this role, it becomes a cartoon. And it seems like the movie wanted to be a videogame when it began. If I wanted to play a game, I would have stayed home and launched one on my PC. Expand
savoy16Aug 31, 2012
If you really like to watch chase scenes, on bicycles, then this movie is for you. I enjoyed the flashback-back and forth timeline presentation and some of the stunts where cool but it got old quick. I think it got lost between trying toIf you really like to watch chase scenes, on bicycles, then this movie is for you. I enjoyed the flashback-back and forth timeline presentation and some of the stunts where cool but it got old quick. I think it got lost between trying to be clever and action backed. In the end I was disappointed. Expand
reelmusikSep 2, 2012
The film was overall decent. While it did have a very big cool factor, the plot was a bit non-existent, the writing was not very memorable, but the structure was at least interesting. While some people loved Michael Shannon's acting in thisThe film was overall decent. While it did have a very big cool factor, the plot was a bit non-existent, the writing was not very memorable, but the structure was at least interesting. While some people loved Michael Shannon's acting in this film, I could not help but be pulled from the film with every word he uttered. His voice grated on me like the asphalt in a bad bike crash. The film had good sequences, but I hardly remember what happened and I only saw it about three hours ago. I didn't expect much from this film, and I got what I expected. Expand
aethelyonJan 8, 2013
Really boring script and storyline- only thing that keeps this moving going is Joseph Gordon-Levitt and the solid production value. The overall tone seems to be a bit confused.
AlienSpaceBatsJul 6, 2013
Brief, self-congratulatory, feels padded out. At times the narrative will maddeningly drop what it's doing to show off some stunts, then pick itself up again. Characters are cardboard cut-outs, all are EXTREME or HARDCORE, in all-caps.Brief, self-congratulatory, feels padded out. At times the narrative will maddeningly drop what it's doing to show off some stunts, then pick itself up again. Characters are cardboard cut-outs, all are EXTREME or HARDCORE, in all-caps. Reminds of those 90s films centred on BMX/Surfing/Rollerblading(?) Expand
Tss5078Nov 27, 2013
By now, it's no secret that I'll watch anything with Joseph Gordon-Levitt in it. When I saw he was going to be in an action thriller, about bike messengers in Manhattan, I couldn't wait to see it, but sadly I was very disappointed. It's aBy now, it's no secret that I'll watch anything with Joseph Gordon-Levitt in it. When I saw he was going to be in an action thriller, about bike messengers in Manhattan, I couldn't wait to see it, but sadly I was very disappointed. It's a normal day for bike messenger Riley (Joseph Gordon-Levitt), as he picks up a package and goes on his way. Everything is fine until a strange man tries to run him down and steal the package. From there its a race through NYC to see who gets the mysterious package first. Premium Rush is Gone In 60 Seconds on bicycles. The plot is weak, the story is predictable, and the whole film is basically one big chase through Manhattan. Yes, Premium Rush is exciting at first, but after a half hour, it gets very tiresome, very quickly. JGL tries his hardest to turn this film into something, but even a star of his caliber can't save this film, because there really isn't anything to save. It's as if the producers said, lets have a car chasing a bike in New York City and develop some kind of story around that. It doesn't work, because seldom I have been this bored and frustrated by an action movie. It stars one of my top 10 favorite actors, but there really isn't much of a role for him to play. I really hate to say it, but this film is a complete loser, don't waste your time on it. Expand
ArefinJan 3, 2013
Script-4/10
It was decent but predictable.
Acting-5/10
Levitt is the new superstar of the industry now & he did good,others were just OK.
Visual-6/10
Direction & camera work was good.
Entertainment-5/10
G_Thomas_BostonApr 24, 2013
Be careful on the streets of New York. You'll find mayhem, close-calls, accidents, rude behavior, violence, and danger; and that's just from the bicycle messengers.

Premium Rush is the story of one of those messengers (played by Joseph

Premium Rush is the story of one of those messengers (played by Joseph Gordon-Levitt) who must make an important and urgent delivery through Manhattan rush-hour traffic. Gordon-Levitt's character, Wilee, is such a maniac that he rides a bike without brakes, derailleur gears or de rigueur rails.

Joining Wilee on this thrill ride are Manny (Wolé Parks) and Vanessa (Dania Ramirez). I don't know if this film is supposed to make us feel some sympathy for the plight of the downtrodden bicycle messenger, but I personally was rooting for the bad cop (Michael Shannon) to haul their hazardous hineys to the hoosegow for being the dangerous road jerks that they are.

The acting is uneven at best. Ramirez must have gone to the Scowling-Is-Acting School for Young Thespians. Not that she can't make a career out of a scowl. Bruce Willis has been a show-biz success for nearly 30 years with no discernible asset other than a smirk. Shannon's acting isn't much better. I've enjoyed his previous work in Boardwalk Empire and the excellent Before the Devil Knows You're Dead. Here, however, he vacillates between a tough-as-nails Cagney-like bad guy to an exasperated high-pitched whining comic-relief character reminiscent of Curly Howard.

Most of the film's 90 minutes, is spent wheeling on bicycles through traffic. I found it rather tiresome (ha ha! get it? tiresome... tire... you know... bicycle... forget it).

If it's bicycles and a thrilling chase that you have a craving for, watch two movies Breaking Away and Bullitt. You'll get the fix you need and see two infinitely better films in the process.
cheeseberger11Aug 20, 2013
Premium Rush is a good flick that features many chases and close calls that keeps you interested. Successful in its attempts at humor. Micheal Shannon played a great character.
tethysdustFeb 14, 2017
If you want to watch a lot of bike chase scenes in New York City, this is the film for you! The plot is pretty simple, though, and the villain very cardboard.
BroyaxJan 23, 2017
Ils me font bien rigoler ces tocards avec leur pignon fixe et pas de freins. Curieusement, on ne les voit que sur le plat... à mouliner comme des andouilles ou à se promener comme des retraités (braquet trop grand pour eux !). Or, dans leIls me font bien rigoler ces tocards avec leur pignon fixe et pas de freins. Curieusement, on ne les voit que sur le plat... à mouliner comme des andouilles ou à se promener comme des retraités (braquet trop grand pour eux !). Or, dans le film, le gars au pignon fixe remporte la course face à un vélo de route ! ridicule.

Mais bon, on est pas à ça près, surtout que le scénario dans l'absolu assez bien construit se répand dans une niaiserie de mauvais aloi : le petit vélo dans la prairie face au méchant flic très corrompu. C'est tout de même bien réalisé avec un filmage propre (ce qui devient rare de nos jours) et il se passe toujours quelque chose. Mais surtout ne suivez pas l'exemple de ce guignol : le pignon fixe en ville, c'est du suicide. Gardez vos freins et montez le frein avant à droite (comme les motards).