6.9

1. Dec 16, 2012
    It's original and fun to watch. Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Michael Shannon were wonderful leads. Only problem I had with it was that the storyline was a bit too generic and shallow. Still, I enjoyed watching it and I would recommend it to others.
  2. Jun 23, 2014
    Premium Rush is a formulaic movie done well: It has a blend of intrigue, wit, and action-packed stunts to go along with it. Although the whole movie is completely mindless, it isn't the typical implausible blockbuster like The Fast and the Furious or Transformers; it has just enough intelligence to pass for something worthwhile.
  3. Aug 28, 2012
    Joseph Gordon-Levitt plays a gonzo bike messenger in NYC, who's given a crucial delivery. Sounds easy, but a crooked cop (Michael Shannon) complicates everything. This movie moves! Besides the crazy street riding, exceptional accidents and narrative flashbacks, the graphics add another element of visual impact. Even with a few breather moments, the pacing never lags and there's enoughJoseph Gordon-Levitt plays a gonzo bike messenger in NYC, who's given a crucial delivery. Sounds easy, but a crooked cop (Michael Shannon) complicates everything. This movie moves! Besides the crazy street riding, exceptional accidents and narrative flashbacks, the graphics add another element of visual impact. Even with a few breather moments, the pacing never lags and there's enough variety to avoid repetitive peddling scenes. If you're wondering how a simple trip downtown can take up 90 minutes, you'll be surprised to see how strong editing and creative storytelling can propel it forward. This is not a major motion picture event, but it sure is action packed and fun! Expand
  4. Nov 28, 2012
    It may feature some pretty silly plot elements, but overall "Premium Rush" is a fairly entertaining and brisk action film with some pretty amusing performances.
  5. Nov 27, 2013
    By now, it's no secret that I'll watch anything with Joseph Gordon-Levitt in it. When I saw he was going to be in an action thriller, about bike messengers in Manhattan, I couldn't wait to see it, but sadly I was very disappointed. It's a normal day for bike messenger Riley (Joseph Gordon-Levitt), as he picks up a package and goes on his way. Everything is fine until a strange man tries toBy now, it's no secret that I'll watch anything with Joseph Gordon-Levitt in it. When I saw he was going to be in an action thriller, about bike messengers in Manhattan, I couldn't wait to see it, but sadly I was very disappointed. It's a normal day for bike messenger Riley (Joseph Gordon-Levitt), as he picks up a package and goes on his way. Everything is fine until a strange man tries to run him down and steal the package. From there its a race through NYC to see who gets the mysterious package first. Premium Rush is Gone In 60 Seconds on bicycles. The plot is weak, the story is predictable, and the whole film is basically one big chase through Manhattan. Yes, Premium Rush is exciting at first, but after a half hour, it gets very tiresome, very quickly. JGL tries his hardest to turn this film into something, but even a star of his caliber can't save this film, because there really isn't anything to save. It's as if the producers said, lets have a car chasing a bike in New York City and develop some kind of story around that. It doesn't work, because seldom I have been this bored and frustrated by an action movie. It stars one of my top 10 favorite actors, but there really isn't much of a role for him to play. I really hate to say it, but this film is a complete loser, don't waste your time on it. Expand
  6. Mar 11, 2013
    This movie is a big disappointment. My biggest problem with this film is the script stinks and Jamie Chung's accent is cringe worthy. The bike scenes are kind of cool and JGL is good, but it's not enough to save this film.
  7. Dec 28, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It starts off extremely slowly. However, once they get into the envelope and what is in it and the chase with the cop gets going, it picks up quickly. However, since the beginning almost put me to sleep, the movie wound up being around mediocre to average. If the film was just the second half, it would've been a fantastic movie. Expand
  8. Sep 11, 2012
    About half way through this film, I thought to myself, "Wow, that 66 Metascore is pretty generous for this very average B-Movie!" I mean, sure, it's an adrenaline rush, but the acting is horrid. Jamie Chung is easily the weakest link - her Mandarin accent is ridiculous. Michael Shannon is an excellent actor, but he's so far over-the-top in this role, it becomes a cartoon. And it seemsAbout half way through this film, I thought to myself, "Wow, that 66 Metascore is pretty generous for this very average B-Movie!" I mean, sure, it's an adrenaline rush, but the acting is horrid. Jamie Chung is easily the weakest link - her Mandarin accent is ridiculous. Michael Shannon is an excellent actor, but he's so far over-the-top in this role, it becomes a cartoon. And it seems like the movie wanted to be a videogame when it began. If I wanted to play a game, I would have stayed home and launched one on my PC. Expand
  9. Sep 2, 2012
    Its probably the most original film of the year. With nonstop suspense and chase scenes, it really is a RUSH.
  10. Oct 22, 2013
    'Premium Rush' boasts its own sort of edgy content and intense sequences while maintaining a realistic approach, it involves the bikers who risk their lives everyday on the bustling streets of New York City to deliver mail big and small as they traverse the maze that they have mapped out in their heads, taking the quickest route possible which may involve breaking a few rules of the road'Premium Rush' boasts its own sort of edgy content and intense sequences while maintaining a realistic approach, it involves the bikers who risk their lives everyday on the bustling streets of New York City to deliver mail big and small as they traverse the maze that they have mapped out in their heads, taking the quickest route possible which may involve breaking a few rules of the road including running the odd red light or figuring out ways on the spot to avoid a bad collision, these messengers don't get paid enough, but perhaps the thrill of the ride keeps them going, they tick off most of the city and are constant hassle for the busy traffic of the city, but everyone has to do their job. This is primarily a chase film full of adrenaline and not very much slowing down, the title borrows its name from the concept of the extra charge for a fast delivery, but it could definitely refer to the quick paced and non-stop motion of the film, it has plenty of characters who don't particularly have much depth, but then again this seems intentional due to the pace of the film, which sets itself around one particular messenger, Wilee (Joseph Gordon-Levitt) as he picks up a ticket on one of his runs that actually acts as a receipt to a hefty sum of money which a corrupt cop (Michael Shannon) is after to pay off some serious gambling debts, he is primarily behind the daredevil Wilee for much of the film, always chasing him and trying to find new ways to take him down. But these bikers don't seem to risk their lives for the mediocre pay, but more for the thrill and to get there on time. But pretty soon, many others get involved in this game of cat and mouse including Wilee's on/off girlfriend Vanessa (Dania Ramirez) who is also under the watchful eye of the physically impressive Manny (Wolé Parks) who competes time and time again with Wilee, but as mentioned, they all have their part to play when the stage is set for thee faster paced finale. This is a chase movie first and foremost, with some excellent effects as Wilee judges his route, one can only applaud the stunt doubles used throughout the film, the chase sequences are intense and full of life, but this is isn't an insightful or a film with profound meaning, it's all for the entertainment and for this reason, it succeeds in every way. Expand
  11. Nov 29, 2012
    Premium Rush is honestly one of the best movies I've ever seen and other than The Dark Knight Rises and The Avengers, it's probably the best movie I've seen in 2012. It was incredibly unique, very action packed and quick paced, it has a thriller element that is just right, there's a minor emotional element that allows you to connect to the characters without taking away from the feel ofPremium Rush is honestly one of the best movies I've ever seen and other than The Dark Knight Rises and The Avengers, it's probably the best movie I've seen in 2012. It was incredibly unique, very action packed and quick paced, it has a thriller element that is just right, there's a minor emotional element that allows you to connect to the characters without taking away from the feel of the film, the acting is outstanding, and it is absolutely hilarious. Koepp threw down with an absolutely flawless script, that's for sure. This movie makes you wanna jump on a bike and go crazy, lol. Overall, I loved the movie and suggest everyone to go see it. Expand
  12. Sep 10, 2012
    You will have a good time watching the film IF you can ignore all the implausibilities and over the top situations. Example: near the start of the film the bad guy is chasing a bicycle in New York gridlock traffic. A bicycle would leave a car behind in it's dust in this situation as it can weave in and out between the cars, but somehow this car keeps remaining on his tail no matter whatYou will have a good time watching the film IF you can ignore all the implausibilities and over the top situations. Example: near the start of the film the bad guy is chasing a bicycle in New York gridlock traffic. A bicycle would leave a car behind in it's dust in this situation as it can weave in and out between the cars, but somehow this car keeps remaining on his tail no matter what he does. This is one small example of many other ludicrous situations. You have to let it go and enjoy the high energy and exuberance of the film. Although Joseph Gordon-Levitt is fine in the lead role, the movie is stolen by Michael Shannon playing the bad cop. He makes a good creepy bad guy. If you like to see bicycles wipe out at full speed, you will really enjoy this movie. Expand
  13. Dec 9, 2014
    Joseph Gordon-Levitt is my favourite actor and in premium rush he shines like never.Premium Rush is full of stunt and action.The movie is fresh and original and probably one of the best movie of 2012.
  14. Aug 24, 2012
    Cool, funny, fresh and original. Premium Rush is a great movie.
  15. May 11, 2013
    It`s fun and "unique", I give it points for showing how he thinks of his next move. I like that I`t didn`t have unnecessary scenes likes so many movies. One of the best things about this movie is most things he does with the Bike are believable. I also like how they changed time lines to tell the story. I wouldn`t go as far as to say one of the best movies of 2012. A good movie but peopleIt`s fun and "unique", I give it points for showing how he thinks of his next move. I like that I`t didn`t have unnecessary scenes likes so many movies. One of the best things about this movie is most things he does with the Bike are believable. I also like how they changed time lines to tell the story. I wouldn`t go as far as to say one of the best movies of 2012. A good movie but people going that far need breaks on their bikes. Expand
  16. Feb 27, 2013
    I know what you're thinking. An action movie about a bike messenger? Yeah, that's what I thought too going into it, but don't be so quick to rush to judgement. "Premium Rush" is a chase movie about the daredevils who work as Manhattan bicycle messengers--with a map of the city imprinted in their brains. They hurtle down sidewalks, run red lights, go against traffic. "Premium Rush", asI know what you're thinking. An action movie about a bike messenger? Yeah, that's what I thought too going into it, but don't be so quick to rush to judgement. "Premium Rush" is a chase movie about the daredevils who work as Manhattan bicycle messengers--with a map of the city imprinted in their brains. They hurtle down sidewalks, run red lights, go against traffic. "Premium Rush", as suggested by the title, is heavier on action scenes-- and thiner on the story line. Call the movie what you want--you can't call it lifeless or fun.

Joseph Gordon-Levitt stars as Wilee, the movie's daredevil protagonist. His girlfriend Vanessa (Dania Ramirez), has broken up with him without explanation--and to make matters worse, she's palling around with his co-worker arch-enemy Manny (Wole Parks). Not that this is his only source of frustration. A law school dropout--Wilee loves the freedom and adrenaline rush of pedaling nonstop across the city. Wilee's backstory includes a stint at Columbia Law where he refused to take the Bar when he realized hurdling it meant a lifetime of offices and gray suits. His Houdini-esque escapes from the cops and car crashes are a major part of the "Premium Rush" allure. "Premium Rush" has cast Michael Shannon as the film's heavy, unhinged and volatile detective, Bobby Monday. The secret of what Wilee is carrying in his messenger bag is stretched out--but it nevertheless seems unlikely that a courier would risk life and limb to protect its contents. The riding is fun to watch for a while, but it becomes repetitive to all but the most serious bicycle gear heads.

The film rides the fine line of PG-13 and R-rated in different parts of the story--and think it would have benefited greatly by taking the path of a more gritty adult-oriented tone. It has its moments, but it tends to flutter back and forth between goofiness and tough street story too often. The ending isn't satisfactory, and feels feels like a cop out. Despite it's shortcomings and thin story line--the overall results is a fun watch with plenty of street-level action.
  17. Oct 6, 2013
    Very well made with a nice pacey start that really grabs your attention. Sadly, it cannot maintain that rate, but it soon settles down as we get to know the various characters. I did find all the to-and-fro with flashbacks a little confusing at times, but it soon sorted itself out. On the performance front, everyone did an excellent job but the stand-out by some margin (for me) was MichaelVery well made with a nice pacey start that really grabs your attention. Sadly, it cannot maintain that rate, but it soon settles down as we get to know the various characters. I did find all the to-and-fro with flashbacks a little confusing at times, but it soon sorted itself out. On the performance front, everyone did an excellent job but the stand-out by some margin (for me) was Michael Shannon. He really does play the slightly psychotic cop so very well. I felt the final pay-off didn’t quite live up to its initial promise, but I found it entertaining enough. Well worth a look; but don’t put a stopwatch on it.

SteelMonster’s verdict: RECOMMENDED

My score: 7.2/10.
  18. Sep 26, 2012
    Premium Rush's non-linear storyline end up confusing, but thanks keep pushing my adrenaline. Terrific chasing bike scene itself is worth the ticket price.
  19. Oct 6, 2012
    Exhilaratingly fast and incredibly well paced, Premium Rush gives adrenaline rush at the same dose of blissful flesh-to-steel wreckage. There's just something viscerally appealing about the way human body reacts on impact that can't be duplicate with any pile of vehicular mayhem. The movie captures its speed fantastically, swirling between pedestrians and traffic just enough to create aExhilaratingly fast and incredibly well paced, Premium Rush gives adrenaline rush at the same dose of blissful flesh-to-steel wreckage. There's just something viscerally appealing about the way human body reacts on impact that can't be duplicate with any pile of vehicular mayhem. The movie captures its speed fantastically, swirling between pedestrians and traffic just enough to create a sense of familiarity compared to the unreal car chases. Plot is actually thick enough to justify the possibility of these riders turning into smudges on a slab of concrete, Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Michael Shannon make up for intriguing homicidal cat and mouse chase.

The plot uses multi-perspective view from the characters as it moves back and forth to introduce them in their own entwined timelines, it creates a singular event but viewed from different perspectives. Action and narrative go along smoothly this way, as even if the movie doesn't showcase any chase scene, it's still thrilling due to the acting. Wilee (Joseph Gordon-Levitt) plays a man rebelling against the social norm, preferring constant flirt with bumpers rather than sitting behind a desk. It's an effective way of luring the younglings because he personifies the freedom one might fantasies at some point.

Bobby Monday (Michael Shannon) is very genuine in his disturbed look, he's creepy in a photogenic way. I've not seen many throw adult tantrum like him in a while. Vanessa (Dania Ramirez), Wilee's girlfriend, and Manny (Wolé Parks), his rival, make a tidbit about triangle love that goes along the way with juvenile rivalry to impress the girl. It's quite distracting and only displays trivial bravado to buff the movie. Manny is a very irritating character, which ironically meant to be, as he hounds Vanessa, who has a sort of rough allure. There's also hint human trafficking that only touch briefly as motivation, but it's too superficial to be thoughtful.

The movie is graphically pleasant, very sharp and colorful. The action moves in an organic urban spectacle and slightly exaggerated speed captured from crisp close angles. Bits of HUD or slow motion are nice touches too. However the script sometimes overreaches to the border of some remarks a fifth grader or internet troll might say. It has some padding as well, especially at the end, which rather disrupts the original pace a little. If offers artificial road rage, fast pace and stunts that shouldn't be taken too seriously. Allow yourself to enjoy the ride and sooth the primal need of seeing someone crashes, badly.

Rate 8/10
  20. Dec 4, 2012
    Seems like majority of people didn't like this movie that much. Written and directed by David Koepp, Premium Rush is a fast-paced and a thrilling movie which incorporates the busy streets of New York City as the bicycle messengers ride around all day to make the deliveries on time. What's good about this movie is that it is made out of a simple concept and a typical storyline but it stillSeems like majority of people didn't like this movie that much. Written and directed by David Koepp, Premium Rush is a fast-paced and a thrilling movie which incorporates the busy streets of New York City as the bicycle messengers ride around all day to make the deliveries on time. What's good about this movie is that it is made out of a simple concept and a typical storyline but it still feels so different and a bit fresh. I don't remember watching a bicycle movie and liking it as much as I like Premium Rush. Maybe because the techniques employed in this movie are way better and they work the exactly way they should be working.
    Joseph Gordon-Levitt (Wilee, a bicycle messenger) seems to shine in his role and is supported by other cast members such as Michael Shannon (Bobby Monday, a corrupt cop), Dania Ramirez (Vanessa, Wilee's ex-girlfriend), Wolé Parks (Manny, Wilee's rival). Michael Shannon's character, Bobby Monday is a corrupt and a negative person but his performance is funny, keeps making you laugh because he keeps getting pissed at everything around him and he acts hilariously. This film may not offer much depth into the characterization but you got to look even deeper to get to the bottom like Wilee (Gordon-Levitt) doesn't want to do the office jobs wearing suits and sitting in one place but instead he rides around all day and feel free and independent. Crazy cinematography, more than a dozen stuntmen, efficient CGIs and the slight humor make a huge contribution towards this film. I must say that Koepp is a intelligent guy, he knows how to make a good movie out of a typical plot and a simple concept that revolves around the movie just like the movie begins with an accident and the narration explains everything gradually and it becomes clear that the main plot is more like a mission to make things happen. The execution and direction are superb, which can be justified by the fact that I didn't get bored, not even for a bit, mainly because of the fast pace and the thrilling bicycle action whcih works perfectly with much imagination, complications and energy. This movie totally worked for me just like I was hoping for.
  21. Sep 18, 2012
    Original setting on top of an average cliche chase movie. That original setting held me over though and enjoyed it very much. It is just refreshing to see some kind of experimentation done on modern movies. I would of liked a little less of the bad guy and the movie itself could of been trimmed down 10 minutes or so and been a bit better. Overall very good a nice interesting adventure.
  22. Mar 24, 2013
    Plot is nowhere near as interesting or entertaining as it should be.
  23. Jan 18, 2013
    As a mountain biker and a person who loves physics! this movie stinks! Also the story is way over the top, not believable. Its one of the those movies, that shouldnt have been made!
  24. Sep 16, 2012
    This film is awesome. Despite having what may be called a convoluted plot, it is given strength by the intense action, superb acting and a brilliant choice of characters, not to mention the crystalline graphics of a GPS and the lively streets of New York. Joseph Gordon-Levitt is just so carefree and alive in this film.
  25. Aug 25, 2012
    About the best thing that can be said about this movie is that Gordon-Levitt and Shannon do what they are asked to do with the characters they are given. The movie has very little plot, and what plot there is we don't have any investment in. The bike riding seems cool, but only for a minute, better to search for bike messengers on you tube if that's what your coming to the film for.About the best thing that can be said about this movie is that Gordon-Levitt and Shannon do what they are asked to do with the characters they are given. The movie has very little plot, and what plot there is we don't have any investment in. The bike riding seems cool, but only for a minute, better to search for bike messengers on you tube if that's what your coming to the film for. Overall a highly forgettable thriller. Expand
  26. Jan 14, 2013
    This briskly-paced and deftly-woven popcorn bag of entertainment follows a Manhattan bike messenger (played wonderfully by Joseph Gordon-Levitt) as he finds himself suddenly embroiled in an alarming chase centered around a mysterious package he is set to deliver by 7 p.m. The plot is very cleverly-written, the film is well-executed, and overall it's just a real bit of fun.
  27. Jul 6, 2013
    Brief, self-congratulatory, feels padded out. At times the narrative will maddeningly drop what it's doing to show off some stunts, then pick itself up again. Characters are cardboard cut-outs, all are EXTREME or HARDCORE, in all-caps. Reminds of those 90s films centred on BMX/Surfing/Rollerblading(?)
  28. Sep 3, 2012
    This was a very well rounded film with lots of chase scenes on bicycles which is awesome for an avid biker like myself. The writing and direction of this film was really good and Joseph Gordon-Levitt is becoming one of my new favorite actors. Very good film to see for a date night or just hanging out with your friends. Go and see this film.
  29. Sep 7, 2012
    Good! The best movie this year. I've been disappointed in most movies this year with VFX substituting for story. This a great ride both action and narrative wise. It isn't going to solve the worlds problems but if you want a movie you can enjoy. The marketing has been terrible but this is going to the next ShawkShank movie on TNT in a few years, where they show it every month and you canGood! The best movie this year. I've been disappointed in most movies this year with VFX substituting for story. This a great ride both action and narrative wise. It isn't going to solve the worlds problems but if you want a movie you can enjoy. The marketing has been terrible but this is going to the next ShawkShank movie on TNT in a few years, where they show it every month and you can watch over and over again for the ride. Expand
  30. Sep 17, 2012
    I liked this movie. I went in expecting very little. In fact, I watched the movie because the projector went down on another screening room. Turned out for the better.
    All the elements were there. The story was entertaining enough, the visuals were cool, and all actors pulled it off, except for Michael Shannon, his rendition of a detective was too comedic to buy it. Still it was very watchable.
    We won't understand the Dalai Lama better or figure a way to solve world hunger, but if you have a big bucket of popcorn and a, preferably, attractive companion with you, this is definitely the ticket.

1. Reviewed by: Olly Richards
    Sep 10, 2012
    A movie that while thin and silly, moves with such joyous speed that you almost want to throw your arms in the air and scream.
  2. Reviewed by: Kevin Harley
    Sep 1, 2012
    It's definitely the 'other' Gordon-Levitt film out this month, but this silly cycler whizzes by amiably. Star charm helps: JGL's enjoyment in his job adds welcome levels of Levitt-y.
  3. Reviewed by: Nick Pinkerton
    Aug 27, 2012
    There is a lot of silly bike-is-life philosophy, including Wilee's personal credo of "Fixed gear, steel frame, no brakes," none of which I can speak to because I don't care a tinker's damn about bikes, but I do have an abiding fondness for compact and coherent action movies, and this is surely one.