8.2

1. Jul 25, 2014
    The story about a whore and how Daniel day Lewis **** her right in the ****, nothing that deserves a simply view of the great Bryan Cranston or the poor Richard gere
  2. PatC.
    Jan 7, 2004
    I hate really bad movies that work. I hate everything this movie stands for. And I hate that this movie had me rooting for such unrepentent losers. But the concierge had class.
  3. EmmaW.
    May 8, 2005
    I was 3 when this came out and every time I watch it it reminds me of the nineties. Its my all time favourite movie. Fantastic soundtrack. Its not saying rich men are powerful at all, its saying no matter what walk of life you are from doesn't matter when it comes to love and totally does away with class distintion. There is a real chemistry between Gere and Roberts and her acting is I was 3 when this came out and every time I watch it it reminds me of the nineties. Its my all time favourite movie. Fantastic soundtrack. Its not saying rich men are powerful at all, its saying no matter what walk of life you are from doesn't matter when it comes to love and totally does away with class distintion. There is a real chemistry between Gere and Roberts and her acting is elite. No film could ever compare, it really sets the competion. 10 stars. Expand
  4. AbbyL
    Jul 6, 2007
    This was a good movie. Light and romantic.
  5. Max
    Jul 19, 2009
    This movie is great to watch with your girlfriend. It is romantic and looks great.
  6. Monica
    Aug 5, 2006
    Perhaps only hopeless romantics like me can appreciate and give this movie a 10. I'm giving it a 9 though. The story is perfect. Funny, light and romantic. They could've changed the ending though, make it more dramatic.
  7. hjkggjhhjkhhl
    Oct 7, 2008
    This movie is full of romance and happiness and saddness. It is heart ripping and heart warming. It is a movie i recommend to anyone.
  8. MillyA
    Feb 10, 2008
    A very slick, polished, rom-com go deeper and you'll find its pretty shallow. All its talk of fairytale ending, equality and dreams coming true sits side by side in a materialistic, greedy and class orientated Hollywood. Cold and calculated.
  9. TonyB.
    Jul 1, 2008
    Intellectually and emotionally dishonest in that because it wants to be "Cinderella," it never depicts what this "pretty woman" really does to earn a living.
  10. InTheEyesOfGilbertMulroneycakes
    Nov 14, 2003
    Yeah, it's shallow as all get out. Who cares? You want a daring and complex piece of narrative experimentation, go somewhere else. You want to be entertained, this is as good a place as any. And better than some. Sweet. But not sickly. Unless your threshold for sweetness is just-so-low that it won't accept anything. Which, of course, would be your problem.
  11. AndrewM
    Jul 19, 2004
    I gotta agree with the lads on this one...it's really not my cup of tea as far as genre goes, but it's done so darn well that it's hard to bag it! Charming performances, witty and human script and good music choices make this a winner for the ages. I first saw it as a pimply, hormone-charged teenager - it won me over then, and still does. I can see now that it's not I gotta agree with the lads on this one...it's really not my cup of tea as far as genre goes, but it's done so darn well that it's hard to bag it! Charming performances, witty and human script and good music choices make this a winner for the ages. I first saw it as a pimply, hormone-charged teenager - it won me over then, and still does. I can see now that it's not the epitome of filmmaking, but it is smart entertainment. Expand
  12. AllyL.
    Oct 16, 2005
    It's perfect it stars Richard Gere as he is so smug that you can really believe the only person who likes him is someone he buys. I cannot believe anyone thinks this movie is romantic. She's his latest purchase. There should be a sequel where he gets a trade in for her.
  13. Sep 2, 2014
    The premise may be simple and commonplace within the industry. Nevertheless, the writer takes chances that truly pay off. All other romantic comedies since have surely been influenced from it.
  14. Jul 21, 2013
    It was surprisingly a quite charming movie. Julia Roberts was funny, witty, and intelligent in this role. This is most certainly not the type of film I would enjoy but the overall light romantic feel about the movie made it pleasurable to watch.
  15. Mar 8, 2013
    A romantic comedy that actually makes good use of both of its genre components, "Pretty Woman" is a hilarious piece of film with a sharp script, solid performances, and a hefty plateful of sentimentality.
  16. Feb 28, 2014
    Classic love story. Boy loves hooker, hooker needs money, hooker loves boy. A classically classic film. Soon to spawn a sequel Pretty Woman 2: Even Prettier Woman.
  17. Mar 25, 2015
    I'm surprised this movie has any traction at all. I agree Julia Roberts was the best thing in it. But the plot was totally ridiculous and Richard Gere mailed it in. I never got a sense of their chemistry at all.

1. It's one of those self-consciously cute pictures, about as hard to take as a person who stands in front of a mirror and preens all day. [23 Mar 1990, Daily Datebook, p.E1]
  2. Reviewed by: Mike Clark
    For the first time in years (even counting his excellent work in “Internal Affairs”), Richard Gere's acting gears aren't too obviously apparent; Julia Roberts, though the breadth of her emotional range remains in question, is beautiful and can act - a not-bad blueprint for continued employment. [23 Mar 1990, Life, p.4D]
    It sounds like standard Cinderella stuff (and the script comes complete with plenty of allusions to princesses in towers), but it's played here with an emphasis on possessions and possessing that borders on the obscene… It's a pretty ugly movie. [23 Mar 1990, Friday, p.C]