8.8

1. hw
    Dec 13, 2007
    Loved it until the end. That ending scene! Yes, it needed a Kiss, but did it have to be done in that over-the-top way? The dialogue did not fit with Jane Austen's writing & the way that characters express themselves generally. There must have been a better way to do that ending...
  2. NatalieL.
    Jan 29, 2007
    Director Joe Wright is one to watch! The cinematography was grand yet not afraid to get down into the dirt; this movie truly deserved its Best Picture nomination. Magnificently sweeping, I fell in love with the English countryside. I was heartbroken to see it end despite its two hours. This movie hardly deserves the red-level ratings other reviewers gave it. I hate to think that all the Director Joe Wright is one to watch! The cinematography was grand yet not afraid to get down into the dirt; this movie truly deserved its Best Picture nomination. Magnificently sweeping, I fell in love with the English countryside. I was heartbroken to see it end despite its two hours. This movie hardly deserves the red-level ratings other reviewers gave it. I hate to think that all the women who rated this curiously low did so because they felt personally threatened by Keira Knightley. Expand
  3. DoreyaS.
    Aug 22, 2007
    I loved this version better than the old version.I say that Keira Knightly was the best choice for Elizabeth.I wish everyone that stared in this movie,including the producer and director, a best, happy,and loving career.Oh! Keira Knightly don't worry about the people that don't like you because you was the best person for Elizabeth.
  4. DrewLumpkin
    Nov 23, 2008
    Keira Knightley was absolutely brilliant.
  5. AlanT.
    Oct 24, 2008
    A film that has been thought in terms of ingredients : how much grinning or greenery should be put into into it to do the trick. Utterly artificial and boring.Elisabeth constant knowing smirk is unbereable and her diction is abominable.
  6. JoJoBeans
    Mar 25, 2009
    Didn't like it, didn't like it, didn't like it. No one else holds a candle to an Andrew Davies adaptation.
  7. ClintH.
    Nov 13, 2005
    A witty, well-acted adaptation of Austen's novel. Delightful and well-shot.
  8. AmandaS.
    Nov 13, 2005
    This was a wonderful film- of epic beauty with amazing camera work and cleaver shots. I was moved by Matthew MacFadyen's vulnerable rendition of Darcy.
  9. DanaM.
    Nov 16, 2005
    Excellent. Go see it.
  10. SusanneR.
    Nov 18, 2005
    Better than I thought given the two parameter. The A&E mini-series still rules.
  11. BrettR.
    Nov 18, 2005
    Spectacular! I was amazed in how much I really enjoyed it. Keira Knightly is phenomenal, an Oscar worthy performance. She makes Elizabeth intelligent, fun, and likeable rather than bitter and unrelatable. Also, fantastic direction, cinematography, and art direction.
  12. LindaL.
    Nov 23, 2005
    I loved the A&E movie and have watched it several times. And I also enjoyed the 2 hours version very much. Acting is great, sets are beautiful and the romance very haunting. I will buy the movie and will watch it again.
    Nov 24, 2005
    No one go see Pride & Prejudice. It is the most wretched, boring, miserable movie I have seen all year. Keira Knightley does not look or act the part (note how she chooses to act with her chin every time she gets emphatic) and I've sold lumber more charismatic and interesting than the man who plays Mr. Darcy. There are so many clichéd shots (if I ever have to see someone stare No one go see Pride & Prejudice. It is the most wretched, boring, miserable movie I have seen all year. Keira Knightley does not look or act the part (note how she chooses to act with her chin every time she gets emphatic) and I've sold lumber more charismatic and interesting than the man who plays Mr. Darcy. There are so many clichéd shots (if I ever have to see someone stare at a candle in the foreground for an entire shot while having a conversation, and then blow it out for the scene change, or a door slamming shut with a dull, resounding crash directly into the camera, I may scream.) Darcy is boring; Collins is boring; Bingley looks like a woman; Mrs. Bennett is not funny as she is in the BBC version, she is merely irritating. And oh the giggling. The horrid, horrid giggling. I think a good 15 minutes of this movie is comprised of giggling. Another 15 goes to "moving" shots of the beautiful landscape, while Lizzie stares pensively into the distance. I offer this as an especial warning to anyone who has not read the novel, who would be doing themselves a horrible disservice by seeing the movie before reading the book and watching the delightful Colin Firth BBC version - which is in every imaginable way a superior film to this sack of sugary rubbish. Thank you. It felt good to get that out of my system. Please take my advice. For your sakes. Expand
  14. amandaw.
    Nov 24, 2005
    I never wanted the movie to end. Mr. Darcy is perfect.
  15. bobr
    Nov 26, 2005
    Yawn, boooooooooooriiiinng.
  16. ZakT.
    Nov 26, 2005
    The filmmakers did an excellent job of retaining the humor of the novel. The set design is excellent, especially the Bennet's home. I usually dislike Keira Knightley, however I think that she was excellent in this role.
  17. GretchenG.
    Dec 27, 2005
    Would have been a 10 but for the stupid ending apparently tacked on for Americans.
  18. KristinaD
    Nov 24, 2006
    I will always prefer the 6 hour BBC version with Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle but this version was beautifully done and well acted. Definitly deserves acclaim!
  19. YvetteG.
    Nov 29, 2006
    I absolutely agree with Alice M (who gave it a 2)! Keira Knightly could not play Lizzy's witty and intelligent character and the expressions seemed to be recited rather than naturally out of Lizzy. Keira could not reflect any of the strong and intelligent character through her eyes. Her eyes lack any intelligence or vividness. The BBC Series of 1995 is at least 100 times better, with I absolutely agree with Alice M (who gave it a 2)! Keira Knightly could not play Lizzy's witty and intelligent character and the expressions seemed to be recited rather than naturally out of Lizzy. Keira could not reflect any of the strong and intelligent character through her eyes. Her eyes lack any intelligence or vividness. The BBC Series of 1995 is at least 100 times better, with Lizzy's eyes speaking her character. I do not think justice is done to Jane Austin or Elizabeth Bennet. Mr Darcy was so so ordinary in the film and it ruined the legacy of him. The mere attempt at making another "pride a prejudice" is beyond comprehension and should not be encouraged lightly. Expand
  20. GabiPardal
    Nov 21, 2008
    What a amazing novel and movie!! Great message in so many ways, very positive and comfortable. The soundtrack are just great! The "universal acclaim" is fair.
  21. Sep 10, 2010
    Fresh, engaging and beautiful. A period piece as it ought to be: it transports you to a different age and makes the character feel real, "six inches deep in mud."
  22. May 29, 2011
    One of the most beautiful movies i've ever seen so far, it excites me to think like formerly life was very simple, without the easiness of technology like nowadays, the honor and morals prevailed even on the difficulties of the time.A handsome movie that indeed accosts a story acording to the title, very good sound track and a amazing self-story. I only thought that missed something at theOne of the most beautiful movies i've ever seen so far, it excites me to think like formerly life was very simple, without the easiness of technology like nowadays, the honor and morals prevailed even on the difficulties of the time.A handsome movie that indeed accosts a story acording to the title, very good sound track and a amazing self-story. I only thought that missed something at the end, but i loved the all movie. Expand
  23. Jul 4, 2011
    Read the book and saw the movie and I must admit is a pretty good adaptation. Keira Knightley is stunning, the rest of the cast is also really good.
  24. Feb 26, 2012
    I loved it! It is beautifully done, great performances, and it was never dull! The art direction was outstanding and the script delightful! Darcy and Mr. Bingley are my favourites characters for they were soo real...! Keira did great as Lizzie! An amazing film! !
  25. Feb 20, 2012
    A great Reader's Digest version of the classic tale. The cinematography is astoundingly beautiful. The cast is great, especially Knightly, who in my opinion really captures the character of Elisabeth Bennett. So good.
  26. Aug 25, 2014
    This delightful adaptation of a British classic never strays from charming. Direction from Joe Wright is well-matched with his muse, Keira Knightley, and a band of astounding supporting actors.
  27. Jan 15, 2015
    Pride & Prejudice was basically exactly what I expected, so I was very satisfied with this one when it was over. The acting from Keira Knightley, Matthew Mcfadyen, Donald Sutherland, Judi Dench, Rosamund Pike, Carey Mulligan, and Jena Malone, was very good. The costume design was brilliant and felt very time appropriate for the period it was set in. I loved some of the shots from thisPride & Prejudice was basically exactly what I expected, so I was very satisfied with this one when it was over. The acting from Keira Knightley, Matthew Mcfadyen, Donald Sutherland, Judi Dench, Rosamund Pike, Carey Mulligan, and Jena Malone, was very good. The costume design was brilliant and felt very time appropriate for the period it was set in. I loved some of the shots from this one. Really some beautiful gems that knocked me on my ass here, including one particularly ravishing shot of Knightley standing on the edge of a cliff. Great, great stuff there. On top of that, it was really well adapted from Jane Austen's novel, which I have never read, but have obviously heard quite a bit about. For a romance film, I did not find it necessarily romantic (though it certainly is), rather it works quite well as a period piece from the late 18th century, which is enough for me. Thanks to great acting, strong direction, good writing, and some really gorgeous shots, Joe Wright's Pride & Prejudice is a winner. Expand
  28. Jun 7, 2013
    This film really took me by surprise, not by how good it was, but by how much I liked it. This excellent film completely took me in and I absolutely loved it. With a fantastic screenplay, beautifully adapted from the famous Jane Austen novel, excellent cinematography, great music, and a stunning lead performance from Keira Knightley, you are absolutely taken into the era and fall for everyThis film really took me by surprise, not by how good it was, but by how much I liked it. This excellent film completely took me in and I absolutely loved it. With a fantastic screenplay, beautifully adapted from the famous Jane Austen novel, excellent cinematography, great music, and a stunning lead performance from Keira Knightley, you are absolutely taken into the era and fall for every bit of this powerful romance. Pride & Prejudice is an excellent film! A must see! One of the best films of 2005. I'll likely lose "man points" for this, but I'm proud to have this in my personal collection. Expand
  29. Feb 25, 2015
    I see this movie as the best adaptation of Pride & Prejudice, better than the production of BBC in 1995, that don't like me nothing, with his scenes that don't excite you and his cast which is a disaster in the sense of affinity for the characters (for me, of course). The version of 2005 is the most delicate, elegant and romantic, just as the book is, with a natural charm who loves. KeiraI see this movie as the best adaptation of Pride & Prejudice, better than the production of BBC in 1995, that don't like me nothing, with his scenes that don't excite you and his cast which is a disaster in the sense of affinity for the characters (for me, of course). The version of 2005 is the most delicate, elegant and romantic, just as the book is, with a natural charm who loves. Keira and Matthew has a special sparkle, this is a cast with chemistry. Joe Wright concentrated on providing us landscapes full of beauty that delight the eye, and that help illustrate the story of love / hate of Elizabeth and Darcy, not only acting and dialogues tell the story if the effects (visual and sound) help spice. Perfect for me. Expand

Romantic yearning hasn't looked this sexy onscreen in years.
  2. Reviewed by: Derek Elley
    A movie for the age, and a keeper for the ages, Pride & Prejudice brings Jane Austen's best-loved novel to vivid, widescreen life, as well as making an undisputed star of 20-year-old Keira Knightley.
  3. If only Knightley had a co-star equal to her here: The 1995 edition of Colin Firth, come to think of it, would have been perfect.