Priest

5.2

1. May 16, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I expected little, I received even less. I didn't expect a full blown story, but a full of fights and special FX spectacle. It lacked those also. Its more of a trailer for Priest 2, than an actual movie. Considering the back-story the possibilities are endless, but ... they were not even touched. And open ending makes me fear continuation. Expand
  2. May 15, 2011
    This movie took one of my favorite graphic novels and turned it into a watered down, PG-13, Church VS Vampires piece of junk. I have never actually boycotted a movie before but there's a first time for everything.
  3. May 13, 2011
    Unlike the film vampires you are familiar with who are articulate, handsome, and philosophical, the vampires in Priest are savage animals, almost like feral wolves. Based on a series of graphic novels, the title Priest refers to an elite squad of vampire hunters who, working directly for the Catholic Church, battle vampires. According to the back story, humans and vampires have been inUnlike the film vampires you are familiar with who are articulate, handsome, and philosophical, the vampires in Priest are savage animals, almost like feral wolves. Based on a series of graphic novels, the title Priest refers to an elite squad of vampire hunters who, working directly for the Catholic Church, battle vampires. According to the back story, humans and vampires have been in direct and bloody conflict throughout history. Due to the priestâ Expand
  4. May 21, 2011
    This movie is just plain lame. There is nothing really special going for it. It seemed like it would be a pretty cool idea, but it pretty much just failed throughout. I didn't care for the characters and the action wasn't great. In the end, I pretty much just didn't care what was gonna happen in the movie.
  5. May 13, 2011
    The Korean comic book after which this movie seems to be patterned (same name, same creatures) is better to read than this film is to watch. Feeling sorry that Bettany's acting skills couldn't have been put to better use.
  6. May 13, 2011
    When will Hollywood learn? When you take mature content and turn it into a P-13 movie you ruin the source material and are left with a watered-down piece of garbage. Personally I have have grown so tired with Hollywood I rarely watch movies these days. Let alone spend money on them. Gaming is the best form of media entertainment to be had these days and Hollywood takes no shame inWhen will Hollywood learn? When you take mature content and turn it into a P-13 movie you ruin the source material and are left with a watered-down piece of garbage. Personally I have have grown so tired with Hollywood I rarely watch movies these days. Let alone spend money on them. Gaming is the best form of media entertainment to be had these days and Hollywood takes no shame in continuing to ripoff their ideas. Just like they have been doing with Graphic Novels and Comic Books. There are no creative people left in that town. Most of the quality talent venture into gaming. Expand
  7. Jun 7, 2011
    the movie was bad, not good special effects, lousy performances, the plot of the movie was the typical and boring story, and the main thing was an insult to the legends of vampires, that nastiness, I hope not torture comesfrom the the second part
  8. May 31, 2011
    In contrast to the glimmering, good-looking people vampires have been portrayed to be in recent movies/TV shows, the vampires portrayed in Priests are the complete opposite, and is pretty awesome. However the story was bland and some of the dialogues felt awkward. This movie seemed more like a straight to DVD, or a made for TV, type film. I would recommend that those who are thinking aboutIn contrast to the glimmering, good-looking people vampires have been portrayed to be in recent movies/TV shows, the vampires portrayed in Priests are the complete opposite, and is pretty awesome. However the story was bland and some of the dialogues felt awkward. This movie seemed more like a straight to DVD, or a made for TV, type film. I would recommend that those who are thinking about watching this in theaters to skip it and pick it up for rental when it comes out. Expand
  9. May 19, 2011
    Priest was not a good movie. The plot was weak. The battles sequences were subpar at best. The special effects were nothing to write home about either. The movie also seemed to be quite short. I was disappointed because the previews looked promising....but it did not deliver at all. Should you see it? In my opinion.....no. But I am not you.
  10. May 24, 2011
    This movie is horrible. I thank God i've been on a promotional screening and i didnt have to pay for it...
    Im not familiar with the original graphic novel, but I cant imagine its so dull and stupid as the movie. Im a devoted fan of SF genre, specially loving all dystopian visions of the future, but ... ok, lets start from the beginning.
    The Priest starts pretty nice - the world created
    The Priest starts pretty nice - the world created in the movie is dark, dreadful and sad. We've got some story, sure it's dumb, but i was confident the atmosphere and good visuals will be enough to make this movie at least ... decent. I was wrong. Movie goes flat in just 10minutes. You dont care about anything, you just wish to be somewhere else. Story - completly dull. Action - we've seen it all. Acting - just bad.
    And as a cherry on top - one of the worst endings ive seen so far. Dont you even dare to see it in cinema. Dont you even dare to rent it. It's bad. Period.
  11. Jun 12, 2011
    Plot of this "movie" is so banal, stale and lacking of originality that it can be written a piece of tissue. I had that strange feeling during this movie that it was shot in a fast forward and lots of stuff was simply removed it during production. It lacks any details at all. Though I'm not sure if I want any of them at all. Actors play as if they were some kind of volunteers and not beingPlot of this "movie" is so banal, stale and lacking of originality that it can be written a piece of tissue. I had that strange feeling during this movie that it was shot in a fast forward and lots of stuff was simply removed it during production. It lacks any details at all. Though I'm not sure if I want any of them at all. Actors play as if they were some kind of volunteers and not being paid for their jobs. Cliche. Expand
  12. May 19, 2011
    Paul Bettany plays a holy man who's also a badass vampire killer. Unfortunately, the movie isn't badassâ
  13. May 14, 2011
    This movie had a lot of potential, but really fell short in terms of dialog, story, and acting. The action scenes were visually stunning, yet they were short and sporadic, leaving a lot of dull, corny, in-between scenes without substance. If the producers would have gone with an R rating and had more horror gore (something like 300), then the "graphic novel" feel to the setting wouldThis movie had a lot of potential, but really fell short in terms of dialog, story, and acting. The action scenes were visually stunning, yet they were short and sporadic, leaving a lot of dull, corny, in-between scenes without substance. If the producers would have gone with an R rating and had more horror gore (something like 300), then the "graphic novel" feel to the setting would have possibly made up for the bad acting, plot, and dialog. I gave Priest a 3, because it really is not worth seeing or renting. Expand
  14. Aug 29, 2011
    Weak. I expected as much. There is nothing really new here and Bettany continues in these lackluster, apocalyptic films that have just become old-hat now. Is this his companion piece to Legion (which was a slightly better film)? I can't say I was thrilled, excited, or even mildly interested in what was going on on-screen. This film is just tired and and it tries too hard and I found myselfWeak. I expected as much. There is nothing really new here and Bettany continues in these lackluster, apocalyptic films that have just become old-hat now. Is this his companion piece to Legion (which was a slightly better film)? I can't say I was thrilled, excited, or even mildly interested in what was going on on-screen. This film is just tired and and it tries too hard and I found myself asking, "Is it over yet?" Expand
  15. May 15, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Here's my attempt at a non-biased review. The movie overall was not good. One of the things that erked me the most was the main character. For one the actor was not what you'd call a good choice. Don't get me wrong he wasn't bad, but he did not fit. A skinny little white guy with a cross on his face is going to save the world from a vampire threat? Ewwww not going to fly. Plus, lets also add in that his fight seens really weren't to immaculate. Yes, he did kill vampires in various ways which was pretty cool, but then at the end when he had to fight the main bad guy he just got **** up. He really got **** up. Now im aware that he is only a vampire killer and he should only do well against vampires, that in and of itself destroys the badass thing that the movie was going for. Yeah he's pretty cool fighting **** that he knows how to kill and that he can kill easily, but when it comes something a little bit stronger he just gets destroyed. There was no improv from his part he justs get beaten up and then saved by the girl priest. Not very badass......at all. So the writing for the main character could have been much better and then they definately needed a new actor, I'd say vin diesel, or "The Rock" or maybe Jason Statham or someone along those lines.
    On to the next thing. The whole idea of the Priest(In the movie) was pathetic. They had no special ability, no magic power, no trick up their sleeve, nothing. They were just some people who were basically ninjas but with the word priest not ninja. This was probably what **** the movie the most for me. The priests weren't special in any way. They just had some cool blades and some hoods(Which they never **** wore!). I mean the whole idea doesn't make sense. I understand it is a movie and it doesn't need to be completely reallistic, but this to me crossed the line. You mean to tell me trained soldiers with rifles that can kill vampires just as easy as the priests little daggers couldn't handle the vampire threat? "Well you saw, the vampires were hard to shoot" No Hicks **** blows straight up. He was useless the entire time, maybe killed 5 vampires or so and then did nothing else the entire movie. My point is, they gave no reason for priests to be needed. They had nothing special the just were quick and used daggers. Thats it! They needed to have some special thing like they were taken at a pure age which gave them the ability to combat the vampires, or God came down and imbued them with the ability to be able to fight them, or they had magical abilities that they could use.( No, I haven't read the **** novel, all of this is based off the movie, so if they're special in the novel then im sorry.) But as far as im concerned I could have taken a civilian from the movie trained him how to shoot and be quick and he could've done a **** ton better than the priests.
    The final thing that I didn't like was the vampires themselves. No it's not because they weren't like twilight, or 'cause they werent handsome and elegant, or cause they were just feral beasts or stupid **** like that. No thats not it at all. The writer can make the vampire whatever the **** he wants its all up to his imagination they dont need to be anything, in fact I like how he did it, as far as I know it was unique it didn't follow twilight or blade or all the bull****. The one thing that they did was that the vampires did not live up to the story in the beginning. And that's my only problem. In the legend they **** ripped people to shreds and split them in half and pretty much mutilated humans. Now dont get me wrong im not a bloodthirsty gore**** idiot, i dont need movies to be bloody and gorey to be good. But when in the **** opening they are ripping people to shreds and then in the movie he sees his brother after the attack and he has a scratch on his face, i ask myself what the **** happened. Did they just dumb down or something what is this.
    So all in all the movie made no **** sense(Vampire reservations was a big one, not gonna get into that), nothing lived up to what it was supposed to(Priests were lame, Main character sucked, Vampires were about as brutal as a pack of puppies, and the main guy who took a **** cross-blade to the throat and was fine died to an explosion which was **** lame), It had a lot of useless characters(Hicks is the biggest **** one, jesus christ I would have rather had the **** asian kid from Indiana Jones there. At least he never threatened Indie with a gun.) And then the cast was just **** The main character was about as badass as a girlscout, the other girl priest was, for lack of a better term, ugly, the main bad guy actor was the best i thought). All in all, Priest was not good at all, waste of time, waste of money, dont watch it.
  16. Jan 18, 2012
    Boring, slow paced movie with uninteresting and forgettable characters. The 9s and 10s the people are giving are from people that watched the film on the big screen and feel bad for wasting $10 for this film and are in denial. Not enough fight scenes, not enough interesting dialogues, you sometimes forget the cowboy kid is even in the movie; why was the kid in the film anyway? I forgot.Boring, slow paced movie with uninteresting and forgettable characters. The 9s and 10s the people are giving are from people that watched the film on the big screen and feel bad for wasting $10 for this film and are in denial. Not enough fight scenes, not enough interesting dialogues, you sometimes forget the cowboy kid is even in the movie; why was the kid in the film anyway? I forgot. Atleast the improved it just a lil' bit from legion but thats like saying the s*** I took today improved from the sh** i took yesturday. The only character thats actually half decent is Karl Urban who plays the Black Hat and thats because he was surrounded by stupid characters so it Karl stands out. Boring movie. Rent it ONLY if you are a fan of Paul Bethany like me (thought I'm starting to lose faith in his work) Expand
  17. Jun 15, 2011
    This is one of the worst movies I've ever seen. The story isn't original. They chose the wrong actor for the main role. Why is whenever Hollywood makes a movie like this one, that they always choose the wrong actors. I mean really. To be perfectly honest, I think this movie was a waste of Hollywood's time and money.
  18. Jul 17, 2012
    Of all the great memories from vampire hunters like Selene from the Underworld series and Buffy the Vampire Slayer, there's only one movie that I missed the mark, Priest. This is one of the worst movies of 2011 because the action. the script, and the plain storyline is just not even worth a dollar. I still love Screen Gems, but they should've get rid of both Legion and Priest.
  19. Sep 1, 2011
    "Scott Stewart's Priest is a dull movie with a boring script . Priest doesn't have a single moment of enjoyment . Bad directing , Worst script , disturbing sound made this movie super boring ! Paul did his best but the others but most most of all Karl Urban made much more worst . anyone could do better then what he did . Spacial effect was not so good too ! and this movie ruined the"Scott Stewart's Priest is a dull movie with a boring script . Priest doesn't have a single moment of enjoyment . Bad directing , Worst script , disturbing sound made this movie super boring ! Paul did his best but the others but most most of all Karl Urban made much more worst . anyone could do better then what he did . Spacial effect was not so good too ! and this movie ruined the comics ! overall its a its a time waste . Story : 0.62 [wot well written at all]
    Directing : 0.72 [SO bad]
    Acting : 0.72 [Paul was ok but Karl made it worst]
    Sound : 0.82 [Bad]
    Effect : 12 [Not that well]

OVERALL : 3.810
  20. Oct 6, 2011
    This is how vampire movies go too far. Perhaps the comix had more plot and inspiring imagery unlike the movie, which looks very low budget and badly scripted. The main character seems to be the only one with slight personality, at best. Not worth it.
  21. Dec 7, 2012
    Bear with me. This shouldn't take long.
    Bear with me. This shouldn't take long.
    A long, long time ago, there was a war between the humans and vampires. Those fanged bloodsuckers happen to be very strong, and mankind was forced to retreat within the protected city of the Church. In come the Priests, a group of specialized warriors who can slay the vampires so fast and easily, they could have arrived before mankind was threatened to extinction.

Read more here: http://localmoviereview.com/priest-movie-review/
  22. Mar 12, 2016
    If there was ever a movie with a glaring weakness, than it might be Priest. The weakness dominates almost every scene: it is the male lead Paul Betanny. This becomes obvious whenever someone else walks into the scene, whether it is Karl Urban, Cam Gigandet or Maggie Q. Not notable names by any means, but they yank away the camera regardless.

The priest character lacks that something

The priest character lacks that something that marks a hero or anti-hero. What there is buried under a layer of coldness that never gets thawed as there is nobody who can do the thawing. There is no romantic interest or a substitute. If it was meant for us to pity the plight of a priest who is cast aside by a church that has no use for vampire slayers because it believes the vampire tamed, than it didn't work for I could care less about this ice-cold person.

The weakness of the central character is all the more a problem because original isn't a word that we can apply to the plot or the setting. The creators ransacked other stories, movies and worlds of their tropes and fused them together with little originality. So there are cities in perpetual shadows, under the autocratic boot heels of a theocracy on one side and the vast expanses, mostly desert, of the free living(free in squalor that is) in a 19th century western frontier setting. So it is a cowboys mixed with cyberpunk, spiced with a tad of Mad Max and topped off with a wacky horror story.

The vampires in look like demons and their helpers, called familiars, look like goblins. The vampires can't stand sunlight, which should make it easy to dispose of them, but nobody figured out that they could use mirrors to send sunlight down into their hideouts. At some point the vampire transport themselves by use of a train that can been dealt with by destroying the tracks or shooting holes in the train during the day. One of the heroes even uses this as a tactic at some time. But the story won't allow this: it would be too easy.

Ridiculous is also the reason for the existence of this priest cult. Priests using hand to hand combat are established as superior fighters to people armed with machine guns, which makes you wonder why we don't send our soldiers on karate lessons.

Weak is also the vampire background story. It is painted as a conflict of interest between two different races, but the vampires in this movie are just mindless ravenous demons whose only connection with reason is hard to find. A conflict interest there might be, but how one can get to the idea that mindless monsters could have been tamed is never made clear in the movie. It is totally nonsensical that the church assumes priest redundant.

The movie is slightly saved by the main bad guy and the support cast, who do their best with a movie rife with cliches, tropes and bad story telling elements. We have seen this all before and done a lot better.
    Totally forgettable.
  23. Jan 30, 2014
    This movie is a complete waste of time. The performance was flat and hard to buy, the characters unmemorable, and the main villains are CGI unthinking monsters. Though there is a leader vampire who is actually played by an honest to goodness person, his part in the story is still unconvincing. I watched this expecting to see action, but I got endless clips of CGI, talking, and desert.

1. Reviewed by: Mark Feeney
    May 19, 2011
    Priest is based on a series of Korean graphic novels. What it's really based on, though, is other movies - a whole lot of other movies.
  2. Reviewed by: Marjorie Baumgarten
    May 19, 2011
    Bettany exudes an intensity that lays the groundwork for an interesting character, but Priest hasn't a prayer of creating anything more subtle than the giant cross tattooed on his face.
  3. Reviewed by: J.R. Jones
    May 14, 2011
    This is mildly entertaining for its cheery sacrilege (crucifixes that turn into throwing stars, etc), but once the premise has been rolled out, the movie is about as surprising to watch as the Stations of the Cross.