Prime

6.4

1. KevinM.
    Dec 4, 2005
    The story line was great; however I thought the ending sucked. I was really disappointed to the point that I wouldn't recommend it to anyone to go see.
  2. ChadS.
    Dec 24, 2006
    Because it's Meryl Streep, because she's an actress who radiates intelligence and common sense; the premise for "Prime" is hard to swallow (even for a comedy). No therapist alive would subject themselves to their offspring's sex life. That's just plain yucky (and vaguely incestuous), but at least Uma Thurman manages to deliver a truly quotable line which supplies Because it's Meryl Streep, because she's an actress who radiates intelligence and common sense; the premise for "Prime" is hard to swallow (even for a comedy). No therapist alive would subject themselves to their offspring's sex life. That's just plain yucky (and vaguely incestuous), but at least Uma Thurman manages to deliver a truly quotable line which supplies "Prime" with its one gut-busting moment of humor. Had Rafi been written a little more shrewdly, putting a book in her hands would've made for a stronger contrast with David's Nintendo obsession (and therefore better accentuate the disparity of the couple's age and life experiences). Since Rafi works with models (who are thought to be stereotypically dumb), being the smartest girl in the room at her workplace amongst all those hairdressers, photographers and blondes, would've made for a lot of crowd-pleasing, albeit easy jokes. Unfortunately, nothing funny transpires at Rafi's job. As for David's "job", we need to see him at the canvas to better round out his character. He's obviously more than a shiftless slob who camps out all day on Rafi's couch, but that's all "Prime" wants us to see. Expand
  3. TracyR
    Nov 9, 2005
    Since I'm actually IN a relationship that began like this (6 years and counting) - I was looking forward to Prime, and ended up pretty disappointed. Lots of serious issues oversimplified in favor of Jewish shtick (and I AM Jewish, but enough is enough already).
  4. Tom
    Dec 4, 2005
    I'll put this simply. If I saw a couple on the street, like the one depicted in this film, I would not like them at all. Plus, i terms of the overall storyline, this wasn't really a 'clash of cultures' rom-com as related in the trailers. Rather, felt like a Jewish vs. not Jewish study film, in which Uma's background and beliefs, or anyone else's for that I'll put this simply. If I saw a couple on the street, like the one depicted in this film, I would not like them at all. Plus, i terms of the overall storyline, this wasn't really a 'clash of cultures' rom-com as related in the trailers. Rather, felt like a Jewish vs. not Jewish study film, in which Uma's background and beliefs, or anyone else's for that matter, were irrelevant or inconsequential in comparison. Come on - there are more cultures than Jewish and.. women in New York City! It didn't amuse me, it just came across as arrogant, superficial and irritating. But perhaps i missed the point. Another film i will have forgotten in 2 weeks. Expand
  5. Sep 4, 2014
    While Meryl Streep continues to shine, Ben Younger shows promise as a writer and director. The exchanges between therapist and Mother and son and girlfriend are very fun.

Younger knows it's fun to watch Rafi and David cross lines of age, culture and religion. He also knows it's painful. That's what makes his movie hilarious and heartfelt.
  2. A prime example of a solid romantic comedy.
  3. Reviewed by: Ronnie Scheib
    Despite a comic Yiddishe mama turn by Meryl Streep and a sensitively nuanced performance by Uma Thurman in a convincing changeup from her recent kickass action roles, Prime remains an oddly juiceless older woman-younger man romance, with a Freudian twist.