Princess Mononoke

8.9

1. Aug 3, 2016
    Personally for me, its just only the BEST animated movie on Earth. Hayao Miyazaki is a great director and this is his masterpiece. And **** and San" is the greatest track i´ve ever heard. 100%
  2. Jul 7, 2016
    Stunning hand-drawn animation, vast creativity, an abundance of charcterization, Princess Mononoke possess it all. It has an extremely dark atmosphere that was absolutley neccessay towards the plot that involves a war with dark spirits and raging animals that all create some sort of symbolism. This is Hayao Miyazaki's first PG-13 film and he delivered us a direction that can be opinionatedStunning hand-drawn animation, vast creativity, an abundance of charcterization, Princess Mononoke possess it all. It has an extremely dark atmosphere that was absolutley neccessay towards the plot that involves a war with dark spirits and raging animals that all create some sort of symbolism. This is Hayao Miyazaki's first PG-13 film and he delivered us a direction that can be opinionated as an R-rated film with it's darkness and bloodiness. This is one of my favorite anime masterpieces, right below the fantastic "Spirited Away."

Rating: 10/10

D = 1.5
    D- = 1
    F = 0
  3. Apr 9, 2016
    One of the most beautiful stories about nature,friendship and war! Great story, superb soundtrack, fun characters and amazing visuals, makes Princess Mononoke a MUST-WATCH!
  4. Sep 14, 2015
    A really great film. The animation is beautiful, the story is great, and and the soundtrack is good too. I'm giving it an eight mainly because I watched the dubbed version, which is painfully average ( compared to most dub's, which are usually terrible), and the character's seemed a bit one-dimensional to me, especially **** (The dub doesn't help)
  5. Sep 1, 2015
    Amazing movie from Studio Ghibli. Miyadzaki genius in all its power. Wonderful, but rough tale of friendship, love, hatred, and full of ancient Japanese magic. I didn't put 10 mark because the plot is sometimes is kinda weird. Same as Howls Moving Castle.
  6. Aug 7, 2015
    Definitely one of the most overrated Ghibli films, Princess Mononoke is a nice movie with an amazing soundtrack and multi-dimensional characters. However the plot suffers from being too uneven, with so many things going on I felt that the film struggled to stay grounded. It is the opposite to films like The Secret World of Arriety where there isn't much plot at all, Mononoke simply hasDefinitely one of the most overrated Ghibli films, Princess Mononoke is a nice movie with an amazing soundtrack and multi-dimensional characters. However the plot suffers from being too uneven, with so many things going on I felt that the film struggled to stay grounded. It is the opposite to films like The Secret World of Arriety where there isn't much plot at all, Mononoke simply has too much plot in my opinion. Expand
  7. Jul 28, 2015
    I personally enjoyed it very much. But honestly it's difficult for me to find a movie that I don't enjoy. I'm basically the whore of animated movies. Sure the movie is longer than most want it to be but the movie was paced well around it. Sure the movie could have been quicker or slower but if they did that then so many loose ends would be left. And as for those who can't understand why heI personally enjoyed it very much. But honestly it's difficult for me to find a movie that I don't enjoy. I'm basically the whore of animated movies. Sure the movie is longer than most want it to be but the movie was paced well around it. Sure the movie could have been quicker or slower but if they did that then so many loose ends would be left. And as for those who can't understand why he doesn't return to his village. It's one of their rules once you leave you are no longer allowed to return and his "love" interest is his younger sister who wished him goodbye forever. Sure the arrowhead didn't have much significance to the story but why should it, in the end it was a gift for the wolf girl because he cares for her and much like his sister wanted her to be safe even if they never met again, or met as enemies.

Yes the movie had no villain but that's the point life doesn't have a villain that's all based on perspective the movie shows you the good of both sides so that you can see and understand that there is no villain they are simply humans trying to live and survive in the changing world. I know that the wolf girl "loves" the main guy (I can't remember their name). Their relationship wasn't really romantic in the slightest sure he said some things here and there but she didn't really do much beside protect and look after him according to her debts and the spirits. I think they have a deep and true admiration for one another but I personally wouldn't call it love.

Aside from some personal preferences here and there I loved it. I'd watch it again.
  8. Jun 30, 2015
    This is a classical animated film that goes into history. Perfect. Studio Ghibli gave a try to the old Japanese stories, the old warriors and tribes, and the old mythology, and it did it just perfectly. The animation is excellent, the action scenes are very well made, and the story, although cliched about some things, is incredibly original and impressive, given how many things they wereThis is a classical animated film that goes into history. Perfect. Studio Ghibli gave a try to the old Japanese stories, the old warriors and tribes, and the old mythology, and it did it just perfectly. The animation is excellent, the action scenes are very well made, and the story, although cliched about some things, is incredibly original and impressive, given how many things they were able to put inside a single movie, and do everything about them so right. Nothing drags or is boring here. For the animation lovers, or even good movies lovers, watch it. Expand
  9. Jun 12, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Hayao Miyazaki is my hero and Princess Mononoke is basically his masterpiece. I've watched it at least twice before but I think this is the first time that its messages and overall beauty really sank in. It's so beautiful and complex that you will have a hard time finding a movie to rival it.

This world is centered on nature – on gods, on spirits and demons, and most importantly on the forest. When **** the protagonist, is infected with a curse of hate he must leave his village and seek the cure, but instead he finds himself in the middle of a war that is much bigger than himself. "See what you can see with eyes unclouded by hate." And that's exactly what he tries to do.
    Princess Mononoke has an intricate storyline with multi-dimensional characters. Take Lady Eboshi. She has saved these women from working in brothels and houses the lepers and gave them a better place to live and to work, but she also has some intentions that are in line with greed and involve much death. We have to take the good with the bad in each character to see who they truly are. "The world is cursed, but still you find reasons to keep living."

As an outsider of IronTown and its problems, **** is able to come and serve as somewhat of a peacemaker, trying to save the forest but protecting everyone fighting as well. He has seen hatred and it consumes him and doesn't want it anywhere it doesn't have to be. **** also finds a friend (and love interest?) in San – our very own Princess Mononoke. He would not have survived in this environment without her. She saved his life and in a way he saves hers as well.

The centerpiece of this war and fighting is the Forest Spirit. He protects the forest and "The forest spirit gives life and takes life away. Life and death are his alone." He saves ****'s life from the bullet wound so **** must carry on living. Lady Eboshi finally succeeds in taking the Forest Spirit's head, but doing so simultaneously kills many things and destroys the forest. He was its protector but he can't live without a head. San and **** have to return the head so all of the Spirit's madness will stop, but he doesn't return back to life. He slips away into the lake. "The great Forest Spirit is dead now." "Never. He's life itself."

The forest regrows right before their eyes and everyone must start anew – perhaps a life without hate. San and **** have had their curses lifted, but **** still can't return home. Not after what he's seen. They love each other and that's what the Forest Spirit is all about. This experience can only enlighten everyone it involved and hope for a life without as much greed and hatred.

Princess Mononoke not only has a deeply fulfilling and amazing storyline, the animation and detail in every scene and every frame is breathtaking. It's all hand-drawn and I can't recall a movie that is more beautiful in every sense of the world. Truly a masterpiece.
  10. Apr 12, 2015
    This is Miyazaki's most intelligent and mature story.

The characters are incredibly realistic, the nature-depicting art is beautiful as always, and there are multiple themes going on. This is an anti-war film, a environmental film, a film about life and death, a film about love and hatred, and a love story, all in one. This is not a film to miss.
  11. Mar 28, 2015
    Princess Mononoke is a wildly inventive fable that explores the tensions between the human and natural worlds. Our main character **** remains resolutely in the middle of the two female leads, the Lady Eboshi and Princess Mononoke, which forces the viewer to assess both sides of the conflict for their merits and problems. Other reviews have said that its message is easy orPrincess Mononoke is a wildly inventive fable that explores the tensions between the human and natural worlds. Our main character **** remains resolutely in the middle of the two female leads, the Lady Eboshi and Princess Mononoke, which forces the viewer to assess both sides of the conflict for their merits and problems. Other reviews have said that its message is easy or straightfowrad, but I think it's incredibly complex--both the forest and the ironworks seem to be granted an essential right to exist, and it feels like the impossible goal is to find a way for them to exist together peacefully. These problems aren't presented moralistically, however, as our main character stumbles into this complex situation as part of an already-engaging plot, and the various story elements are gracefully brought together into one essential conflict.

The characters and their problems are well-rounded, as Miyazaki makes excellent use of the movie's long runtime to develop the protagonists. Everything is, of course, gorgeously animated. The animal gods in particular are beautiful and inventively portrayed; the way the animals' speech is animated is especially engaging. The many action and battle scenes as well are skilfully done, so that the action is both fast-paced and followable.

Overall, I was incredibly impressed by this movie and I'm sure I'll watch it again to try to tease out more of the problems. This movie gives a lot of thought to the essential and complex problems of humans and human society, and it urges viewers to consider these problems as well. A smart, beautiful, and thought-provoking film.
  12. Jan 10, 2015
    Princess Mononoke is beautiful movie with an environmental story that is both subtle and engaging. the acting is great backing up well written characters and the animation is amazing highlighting the merits of hand drawn animation. i love the design choices and it makes the world feel alive which i'm certain was the film makers intention. i highly recommend this film it was just brilliantPrincess Mononoke is beautiful movie with an environmental story that is both subtle and engaging. the acting is great backing up well written characters and the animation is amazing highlighting the merits of hand drawn animation. i love the design choices and it makes the world feel alive which i'm certain was the film makers intention. i highly recommend this film it was just brilliant though i will say it's not for very young children (and you won't believe how many times i've herd that parents have bought it for their kids on the ground that it's animated) Expand
  13. Jun 26, 2014
    What makes "Princess Mononoke" so good, is the fact that it is entirely original. The story, the characters, the creatures, the world - director/writer Hayao Miyazaki has made all of it with such certainty and wit that I fail to describe. The spirit and the emotion of the film are as good as the visual style and music. Altogether, I'd say that "Princess Mononoke" is definitely a must-watch.
  14. Jun 8, 2014
    Great movie!

Great movie!

In my honest opinion is the best film that director Hayao Miyazaki has done, excellent story with well done writing, fluid and graceful animation with wonderful character designs, great action scenes and colorful backgrounds and great soundtrack... there is a lot of work putted in the development of this movie, I can't imagine what was going through the mind of Miyasaki but I can tell he was in love with this story.

If there is one complaint I have is with the ending, is not bad but is rather weak compared with the rest of the movie, but maybe it was meant to be that way. Princess Mononoke is just a great movie... I highly recommend this one if you haven't watched it.
  15. May 27, 2014
    Visually this film is an artistic masterpiece. The conflict of Nature vs. Innovation has often been used but it has never had the proper moral. If you are looking for a snapshot of Miyazaki you cannot pick a better film than this.
  16. Feb 22, 2014
    For me this is my favorite animation movie of all time, I saw it when I was still a child and it shocked me.
    Unlike other animation movies, it has a very original plot. The settings are also very uncommon and the drawings are awesome, an authentic masterpiece.
    The characters are very special, every character has her own personality and behavior, whit lots of references to the real world nowadays. It’s not the generic movie with the good guys and the bad guys, more mature story line than the majority of animation movies.
    The timing is perfect, whit the correct amount of action scenes, funny moments and the progression of story.
  17. Jan 2, 2014
    Uma dos melhores filmes de Miyazaki, com certeza sua história e personagens são cativantes, o visual como sempre um dos pontos fortes e sem contra que sua trilha sonora belíssima.
  18. Sep 10, 2013
    "Princess Mononoke" is simply a masterpiece. I have watched it 3 times and I'm sure I'll watch many times more. why the mediocre critic reviews? I say mediocre because it is the best animation I've ever seen and I have seen lots of them.
  19. Aug 28, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The best part of the film is how the characters are written, they act like real people. Complications occur only because of the consequences of other's actions, which, to an extent, are justified. Another good thing is the subtle environmental message, it isn't hammered in like most North American films. Rather this Japanese anime shows us that we are supposed to draw our own conclusions about the environment. The animation is fluid, very well done, and the character designs, not just for the humans, look great. Also the backgrounds are phenomenal and spectacular to look at. This film would not work if it wasn't animated, it really uses its medium to the full extent. Expand
  20. Aug 8, 2013
    Absolutely out this world! this epic movie is a league on its own, with depth and laudable cause. Masterpiece! A real movie will this one should be awesome, in fact we saw some of the concept in a recent version of Snow White...!
  21. Jul 23, 2013
    It's a masterpiece, I basically grew up with that movie and so I have listened to it many many times both in English and Japanese. If you like anime you need to watch this.
  22. Jul 23, 2013
    Another masterpiece from Hayao Miyazaki. Princess Mononoke is one of the greatest animation movies I've ever seen. The story is excellent and the characters are perfectly thought out. And the music in this movie is as ever brilliant in a Miyazaki film. A true experience to watch.
  23. Jun 27, 2013
    Visually, Princess Mononoke shines right off the bat. The design and movement of the demonic boar god is among the most impressive bits of animation I've come across. In addition to the fluid and gorgeous animation, the action is done so well it will immediately pull you in. And we will witness several more sequences of this caliber before the end.

Fortunately, it’s beauty and action

Fortunately, it’s beauty and action are merely the outer shell of it’s brilliance. The most impressive aspect of Princess Mononoke is its ability to display each side of every conflict and how well it all ties in with the movie’s core theme: Man Vs. Nature. We understand what both the people of Iron Town and the inhabitants of the great forest fight for and why. We sympathize and even root for both sides to win. Even Jigo the main antagonist is given clear motivation for his actions, not to mention a likable personality.
    When speaking of the characters in Princess Mononoke, it has to be mentioned how great the performances are in the English dub. Best are Minnie Driver as Lady Eboshi, Keith David as Okkoto and Billy Bob Thornton as Jigo.

Our hero is one of the reasons why this story works as well as it does. He is our viewing platform. We observe everything through his perspective and follow his ideals since he is our hero. He is neutral so we become neutral. If he would have been fighting solely on one side, the film’s ultimate message; man & nature needs to function more cohabit-ably together, or all will perish would have differed greatly.

In the end I'll simply say that Princess Mononoke is one of the greatest animated movies ever made. I urge anyone and everyone to watch this movie and see for yourselves what a gem it is

Full review: http://kenikkiscorner.blogspot.se/2013/06/anime-movie-review-princess-mononoke.html
  24. Jun 27, 2013
    Princess Mononoke is without a doubt Miyazaki's best work. It has all the creativity of Spirited Away along with a far more mature and compelling plot line. The animation is beautiful, the music is uplifting, and the characters are all memorable. If you like films, do yourself a favor and watch this movie.
  25. May 23, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. If you have looked at my account you may have noticed that I have this fondness for anime films, I just want to so that I'm again not a huge anime fan, but I do enjoy some anime once in a while. It's a very impressive art form, and is demonstrated very well in this film. The art style in this feature is some of the best one will ever see, the forest is a beauty look at, the village is well structured design that fits very well; of course. The animation is a bit behind compared to what studio Ghibli makes today, but is barely a difference because any film made by them is always great to look at. Now about the main cast of characters, they're well done, but I can say that at certain scenes they don't really work well with the scene. Such parts like when they first meet, the ending to that is not that good: "go away" she says, it's like not much thought went into that part. Of course since this is by a children's movie company, there's going to be some themes. This one talks about nature mostly, and is fortunately not shoved into your face like some would. Along with great animation there's also a great feeling of scale, this is categorized as an epic after all. The size and scope of this film makes it seem much more; for lack of a better word, epic. Also there's some very fine good action, even bits that seem very graphic, and further adds to the atmosphere. In the end, probably one of the best animated films out there, and I also think this is also in the shadow of better films like spirited away. But should still be looked at. Expand
  26. Apr 23, 2013
    I would go as far to say that Princess Mononoke is as perfect a film as one could ever make. Miyazaki has created an experience that is visually and emotionally arresting. Each frame of this film could be sold as a painting, it's just that beautiful. Miyazaki's message of tolerance, self-control, and finding harmony with our surroundings is equally beautiful the amazing thing aboutI would go as far to say that Princess Mononoke is as perfect a film as one could ever make. Miyazaki has created an experience that is visually and emotionally arresting. Each frame of this film could be sold as a painting, it's just that beautiful. Miyazaki's message of tolerance, self-control, and finding harmony with our surroundings is equally beautiful the amazing thing about Princess Mononoke's narrative is that there is no concrete antagonist; you could find something relatable and lovable about every character drawn to the screen. The performances delivered by the voice actors for the Japanese and English versions- are both top notch.

This is a film that will survive the test of time due to its visual and thematic majesty, and each of these beautifully realized properties work together to make an experience that is easy to get lost in again and again. Everyone should give this film a watch, it offers so much more to an audience than just escapism; it serves to delight as much as it does teach.
  27. Mar 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is one of Miyazaki's best works by far. The imagery is beautiful, and often times filled with gore, and the story is genius. This film shows Miyazaki can tackle a PG-13 movie and be triumphant. Expand
  28. Mar 29, 2013
    Indisputably (in my opinion) Ghibli's true masterpiece. Spirited Away is slightly overrated, but this is vastly underrated. The story keeps going at a decent pace, but never feels forced. The characters almost all experience some sort of development over the course of the film. Also, the animation surpasses even Studio Ghibli's awesome standards. The scenery is beautiful, and theIndisputably (in my opinion) Ghibli's true masterpiece. Spirited Away is slightly overrated, but this is vastly underrated. The story keeps going at a decent pace, but never feels forced. The characters almost all experience some sort of development over the course of the film. Also, the animation surpasses even Studio Ghibli's awesome standards. The scenery is beautiful, and the near-apocalyptic climax is one of the most 'epic' scenes I have ever seen in any film. Unless you truly hate all of anime, Studio Ghibli, nature, wolves and film, this will take your breath away. I fail to see how it could be improved. Do not let the length put you off. Expand
  29. Mar 23, 2013
    One The Greatest Films Of ALL Time! Just Stunning!
    The Most Visually Inventive Film I Have Ever Seen!
  30. Mar 14, 2013
    Great art design with some beautiful pictures. The story is not a good vs. bad klischee plot but offers various characters, all having their own reasonable motivations. Soundtrack is also great work. Still it lacks something to be truly a 10/10 movie.
  31. Mar 4, 2013
    The only animated epic I can think of that perfects human drama and the evils of industrialisation. An absolutely wonderful film that gives you goosebumps whenever you watch it a second time. It may even some viewers cry. This is not a kids movie, and Princess Mononoke shows that animation can tell stories that are impossible to tell through live action film. In case anybody is interested,The only animated epic I can think of that perfects human drama and the evils of industrialisation. An absolutely wonderful film that gives you goosebumps whenever you watch it a second time. It may even some viewers cry. This is not a kids movie, and Princess Mononoke shows that animation can tell stories that are impossible to tell through live action film. In case anybody is interested, this is also the movie (among others) that inspired James Cameron's AVATAR, especially the main story.

In fact, AVATAR is basically a remake of this. Personally, this is the superior movie and I will remember it longer than that $237 million budgeted movie.
  32. Feb 1, 2013
    This is Miyazaki's best movie in my humble opinion. I love how all the characters have noble intentions and it is never about good versus evil. You see things from all sides and perspectives. I have watched this movie so many times and never grow tired of it. Beautiful to look at and an epic score as well. I can't wait until this comes out on Bluray.
  33. Jan 28, 2013
    A masterpiece of its time. The story is deep, the visuals amazing, and the characters really make it all come together. There is great symbolism and there's a solid message throughout the movie, whilst there still being action and humor surrounding the dark atmosphere that the movie creates. It's a dark tale enveloped by gods and demons that help move the story along and provide substanceA masterpiece of its time. The story is deep, the visuals amazing, and the characters really make it all come together. There is great symbolism and there's a solid message throughout the movie, whilst there still being action and humor surrounding the dark atmosphere that the movie creates. It's a dark tale enveloped by gods and demons that help move the story along and provide substance to the movie as a whole. It is long and can be considered hard to get through (based on the negative reviews on this site), but sticking with it will provide with an enjoyable experience overall. Expand
  34. Jan 23, 2013
    One of Miyazaki's most notable films. The music and animation come together almost perfectly, albeit with the exception of the lack of fluidity in motion. It makes one have a deeper sense of the many good and bad ways humans affect the planet. (Sounds cheesy, I know.) I would complain about the dialogue and bad voice acting, but that is to be expected with a movie originally written andOne of Miyazaki's most notable films. The music and animation come together almost perfectly, albeit with the exception of the lack of fluidity in motion. It makes one have a deeper sense of the many good and bad ways humans affect the planet. (Sounds cheesy, I know.) I would complain about the dialogue and bad voice acting, but that is to be expected with a movie originally written and animated in a different language. Expand
  35. Nov 9, 2012
    Cool as s**t! Brutal acts of deviance, vivid showcases of violence and some serious blood all founded upon a deeply rooted stance on the epidemic of hatefulness. I would write a longer review, but this one is truly epic in the actual definition. It is a long sweeping powerhouse of a story that has it all. Love, hate, viciousness, deceit, redemption, victory, failure, relief, passion, soul,Cool as s**t! Brutal acts of deviance, vivid showcases of violence and some serious blood all founded upon a deeply rooted stance on the epidemic of hatefulness. I would write a longer review, but this one is truly epic in the actual definition. It is a long sweeping powerhouse of a story that has it all. Love, hate, viciousness, deceit, redemption, victory, failure, relief, passion, soul, kindness, drama, action, suspense, reflection, joy, sadness, adventure and heart. Princess Mononoke is an experience. Expand
  36. Jun 2, 2012
    Not enough words to explain how i feel about this film. Everything works together, mainly the score and emotional impact of the film. A mixture of old Japanese culture and folklore mixed with modern problems, this film gets a point across in style.
  37. May 30, 2012
    this film is the most bestest film ever lolololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololol
  38. May 28, 2012
    This Is One Of The Best Movies Of All Time!
    The Animation Style And Writing Is Unforgetable! One Of Ghibli's Best Works!
  39. May 25, 2012
    Someone doesn't even have to like anime to have to like Princess Mononoke. One watch and they'll be hooked. For Princess Mononoke is a gift to film lovers of all kind and deservedly one of the best films of the '90s.
  40. Apr 1, 2012
    As usual with studio Ghibli, i thoroughly enjoyed this movie and have watched it several times over. While critics believe it not up to par with spirited away, i totally disagree. All studio Ghibli movies are on par with one another except for 'Tales from Earthsea'. This movie, like the others, is a blend of Japanese 'Anime' and the traditional Western Animation cultures. It's a beautifulAs usual with studio Ghibli, i thoroughly enjoyed this movie and have watched it several times over. While critics believe it not up to par with spirited away, i totally disagree. All studio Ghibli movies are on par with one another except for 'Tales from Earthsea'. This movie, like the others, is a blend of Japanese 'Anime' and the traditional Western Animation cultures. It's a beautiful movie, with stunning character depths, a fantastic story which takes you in and drowns you in a beautiful blend of stunning landscapes, fearful monsters while underneath bearing resemblance to real world issues, as is with all Studio Ghibli movies. I explicitly recommend this movie to EVERYONE. Studio Ghibli is without fail one of the greatest production studios out there, and if you love one movie, you will love them all. Expand
  41. Feb 18, 2012
    Definitely best anime movie of all time. So much symbolism and path crossed of such that can not be touched by any other movie. This is a movie that will make you want to watch every anime out there.
  42. Feb 11, 2012
    Extraordinary film from Hayao Miyazaki. I love the way Miyazaki is able to blend tender, peaceful moments in between the chaos of all the fighting. My favorite is the scene where **** is too weak to chew his food so San feeds him like a mother wolf feeding here cubs.
  43. Feb 10, 2012
    While not quite as good as Miyazaki's other works, Princess Mononoke is still very excellent and fantastic. Animation is, as expected for a Miyazaki film, is very, very good, and the plot is very interesting and well-written.
  44. Jan 5, 2012
    An outstanding achievement by Hayao Miyazaki. Clearly shows connection between humans and nature, the importance of preserving life. Spectacular visuals, wonderful soundtrack, and beautiful story make it an all time classic in anime films, and a must-see.
  45. Sep 29, 2011
    "Princess Mononoke" is simply a masterpiece. The characters have the capacity to develop itself into any type; romance, action, horror, and so on. The story is simply linear but very symbolistic in diverse ways. It's a definite must-watch.
  46. Feb 22, 2011
    Princess Mononoke is an epic piece of animation about greedy human capitalism and its consequent destruction of flora and fauna. The main character is against extremes of opinions and therefore tries to fight for a symbiotic balance between humans and the world of the forest, for all beings ought to work together in a world of peace and respect, rather than to exploit and kill one another.Princess Mononoke is an epic piece of animation about greedy human capitalism and its consequent destruction of flora and fauna. The main character is against extremes of opinions and therefore tries to fight for a symbiotic balance between humans and the world of the forest, for all beings ought to work together in a world of peace and respect, rather than to exploit and kill one another. This is not a children's movie because it is quite brutal and scary at times. However, there is also fun, cuteness, feminism, and no boredom throughout the movie. Very recommended. Expand
  47. Feb 15, 2011
    Hayao Miyazaki rocks! With its epic story and breathtaking visuals, Princess Mononoke is a landmark in the world of animation. See it in High Definition.
  48. Nov 2, 2010
    I bought this movie because I saw a friend in school with a graphic novel about it. I think this movie introduced me to Japanese animation and I still think it is the best of it's kind and much better than most mainstream movies out these. It is better not to spoil anything but trust me almost anyone with an open mind to anime films will love this movie.
  49. Oct 24, 2010
    Hayao Miyazaki's first japanese animation debut in america to ever make such a grand classic like Princess Mononoke.
  50. PeterS
    Jan 21, 2010
    I don't have to say anything. Go watch it for yourself. You'll see what I mean.
  51. RyanG
    Jan 18, 2010
    This is one of the single most amazing animated movies ever created, if not the greatest movie ever created. Why it has a 76 on metacritic is BEYOND ME..some critics need to get over the awful bias that CARTOONS and ANIME are completely different.
  52. ChrisO
    Jan 4, 2010
    Amazing film, why the mediocre critic reviews? I'd put this up with and maybe beyond spirited away.
  53. BronwenD
    Oct 1, 2009
    I though this was an amazing movie. I've literally watched it tens of times and still love it. I've noticed that the people who don't like it/give it low scores are the ones who don't seem to understand Japanese culture and the whole idea of even the forest gods. Simply have an open mind when watching this movie; you'll find that it's quite good, and had lots I though this was an amazing movie. I've literally watched it tens of times and still love it. I've noticed that the people who don't like it/give it low scores are the ones who don't seem to understand Japanese culture and the whole idea of even the forest gods. Simply have an open mind when watching this movie; you'll find that it's quite good, and had lots of detail. Expand
  54. MichaelW
    Aug 15, 2009
    An amazing film. The story and the characters just blew me away.
  55. ChrisM
    Jul 2, 2009
    Stupid american teens who pretend to be grown ups and reject this movie because it's animated are just idiotic!This is the most mature animation i have ever seen and the stupid youth doesn't have the education to realize this is a powerful film full of meseages not thrown at your face,calling the plot week just because they are used to stupid american teen movies with "clever" Stupid american teens who pretend to be grown ups and reject this movie because it's animated are just idiotic!This is the most mature animation i have ever seen and the stupid youth doesn't have the education to realize this is a powerful film full of meseages not thrown at your face,calling the plot week just because they are used to stupid american teen movies with "clever" suspense or just because they are bored to read the subtitles!How can anyone call this incomprehensable?How can anyone reject it because it's an animation or because the animation has gotten old?What's your favorite movie anyway,Butterfly effect? Expand
  56. lils
    Mar 9, 2009
    A great miyazaki film, the only problem was the dub kinda sucked, so to fix this, watch it in japanese with english subtitles
  57. BradK.
    Dec 9, 2008
    This movie is the best ever
  58. mario
    Dec 6, 2008
    visually stunning faboulous story. loved it, loved it, loved it. i look foward to anything from these creators
  59. Janikous
    Aug 21, 2008
    OK, its great. But damn its not that easy to follow. Its never truly clear exactly whats going on, but you do get the jist of thing. Great voice acting, and truly one of the finest animations ever - there were several scenes id consider to be classed...(read more) as Art - incredible detail, beautiful landscapes etc. Im a complete newbie to animated movies that are neither Disney nor the OK, its great. But damn its not that easy to follow. Its never truly clear exactly whats going on, but you do get the jist of thing. Great voice acting, and truly one of the finest animations ever - there were several scenes id consider to be classed...(read more) as Art - incredible detail, beautiful landscapes etc. Im a complete newbie to animated movies that are neither Disney nor the incredible South Park movie, so forgive my lack of love for the plot/style, but id certainly recommend others to watch this. Expand
  60. JS
    Jan 20, 2008
    A great film, but no where near as good as Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, upon which Monoke is kid of based.
  61. ScottL.
    Nov 25, 2007
    This is one of those films in which it's so good, that at the end you wish for another installment; a sequel, however you know there can't be one, for it would ruin the film's good name. Sheer visual beauty (lush greens of open, gusty fields and vast mountains that surpass imagination) meets an epic soundtrack the brings tears to one's eyes (a melody played throughout This is one of those films in which it's so good, that at the end you wish for another installment; a sequel, however you know there can't be one, for it would ruin the film's good name. Sheer visual beauty (lush greens of open, gusty fields and vast mountains that surpass imagination) meets an epic soundtrack the brings tears to one's eyes (a melody played throughout the movie which will stick in your psyche for years as you endlessly hum the adventurous tune to yourself and an ending piano number that, after hearing the song I previously described, might just make you burst into tears, as it casts a feeling of overwhelming spirituality that truly remains with you for a long time) In the end, the movie is about love, hatred, death, friendship, rivalry, happiness, anger, glee, sorrow, and being a human being. However, overall, it's about being alive. I never thought an animated film, let alone an anime, could be so purely great. If this isn't Oscar material, I have no clue in hell nor space what is. -Scott L. Expand
  62. Jeremy
    Apr 29, 2007
    Anyone who says this is overlong, or that they hate it for being overlong, obviously was just paying too much attention to the length of the film and not to the film. This is probably - no, this IS - one of the best films ever made in the history of cinema, animated or live-action, along with his other masterpiece, Spirited Away. Princess Mononoke is so lush, and engaging, and it just Anyone who says this is overlong, or that they hate it for being overlong, obviously was just paying too much attention to the length of the film and not to the film. This is probably - no, this IS - one of the best films ever made in the history of cinema, animated or live-action, along with his other masterpiece, Spirited Away. Princess Mononoke is so lush, and engaging, and it just captures you and doesn't let you go. It's a wondrous tale of MAN vs. EARTH, told spectacularly. This film hardly deserves a much less rating than Spirited Away. In fact, this film is better! It's only about 10 minutes longer than Spirited Away, so the critics can all go shove it. This deserves at least a 97 on the Metacritic score. All this movie's fans know that it is perfect, and all the critics giving it less than a - sayyyy - 95, are wrong. Expand
  63. DaleT.
    Feb 17, 2007
    Several years after falling in love with anime, I decided to watch this to see if it lived up to the hype. After watching this, I fell in love with anime again. Although several years old the animation has hardly dated, the plot is excellent, the characters are memorable. I gave this film to a younger cousin, she loved it. Princess Mononoke is one of, if not THE, best movie I have EVER Several years after falling in love with anime, I decided to watch this to see if it lived up to the hype. After watching this, I fell in love with anime again. Although several years old the animation has hardly dated, the plot is excellent, the characters are memorable. I gave this film to a younger cousin, she loved it. Princess Mononoke is one of, if not THE, best movie I have EVER seen. EVER. Collapse
  64. Riren
    Feb 2, 2007
    In a time when "epic" just means "long," Princess Mononoke reminds us what that word really means. Here is a bold movie with no villains, only flawed people who often do as many vile things as good. For once we have a film with character development, but one that also recognizes something more important than character development: seeing people as more than one dimensional right now, In a time when "epic" just means "long," Princess Mononoke reminds us what that word really means. Here is a bold movie with no villains, only flawed people who often do as many vile things as good. For once we have a film with character development, but one that also recognizes something more important than character development: seeing people as more than one dimensional right now, before they change. The magic of the film's world is as foreign to the American mind as its language, and is thoroughly rewarding to experience. There is blood, there is suffering, and even death in this movie, yet I would share it with my children. Like Walt Disney, Hayao Miyazaki does not shelter audiences from horror. He is smart enough to frame it, to educate and to evoke. The animation is gorgeous, and the soundtrack is not only thoroughly moving, but sounds authentic to the fantasy world. This is a long animated feature that earns ever half hour of its time in your DVD player. Expand
  65. Ashogo
    Jan 9, 2007
    Of all of Miyazaki's amazing works, I'd have to say this is one of my favorites. The music, artwork, story-everything is amazing. And the whole overall feel of the film is amazing.
  66. TannenW.
    Jul 29, 2006
    I like this movie very much great animation/sound/voice/music but the ending was not very good but other than that i think this movie was the best i seen.
  67. R.L.
    Apr 1, 2006
    Completely outstanding - it is easily one of the very best films of the 90's.
  68. Aidan
    Feb 24, 2006
    This was an excellent animation. why are some newspaper critics too stupid to realize this? I would have puta ten for this one. The only reason i gave it a nine is because I found some of the characters to be a little too odd to my liking (the god of the forest and the boars were strange)
  69. PatC.
    Jan 23, 2006
    This charming mythology and visual classic pits an environmentally despoiling mankind against the natural order. The real enemy is not man's greed but the polarization on both sides that leads each to hate the other - a lesson more should heed. A little drawn out, and the inevitable conclusion that nature bats last is reached, but all in all a non-judgemental and lovingly crafted work.
  70. patrickd.
    Dec 17, 2005
    Awesome!
  71. sopheyah.
    Dec 14, 2005
    The biggest wow! ever.
  72. JJReyes
    Oct 12, 2005
    Brilliant. I love this movie. Everything from the story, to all the animations and characters were superb.
  73. sarah
    Jul 16, 2005
    Great movie it a must see ever just one time.
  74. Liz
    Jul 15, 2005
    Totally one of the best Film I've erver seen!!!
  75. Sam
    Jul 13, 2005
    Excellent film. It stunned me with its drool worthy visuals, the characters are amazingly life-like and the plot is a fantasy masterpiece. It's a bit gory, yes, also a bit odd, but the plot is truly what I loved about this film. See it once, you'll love it. See it twice, you'll know what a life-changing film for the rest of your life is.
  76. ZachL.
    Jun 24, 2005
    This is a great film. It is a bit too long, but it makes up for it. I'm not a hardcore anime fan, so this is coming from a non-biased person here. Trust me, it's worth checking out. NOTE: If you have any friends who are immature/close-minded, you may not want to show this movie to them. They will just ruin it.
  77. AllyB.
    Mar 26, 2005
    I LOVE IT AND i am ordering it online becuz it is SO GOOD!
  78. DamianS.
    Nov 23, 2004
    I'm gonna have to give this anime a 10 outta ten the film is so magical and interesting even i was relating to it. the storyline is awesome this is anime at it's best especially when there's people like billy bob and jad pinkett smith as the casting voices.
  79. MatthewM.
    Sep 30, 2004
    I love anime, and this is easily my favorite anime movie of all time.
  80. KendraF.
    Aug 23, 2004
    This movie shows that anime is more then the cheap shows that are shown here in America. A landmark in the Japanese film-making. A wonderful movie.
  81. DemonicAngel
    Aug 13, 2004
    I'd hesitate to rate any of Miyazaki's films as "poor", but this comes the closest. The story was just too slow-paced to really be interesting, and the environmental and "war is bad" overtones were, IMHO, better executed in Nausicaä Of The Valley Of The Wind. The animation, as always, is gorgeous, but I just can't bring myself to care about anything that's going I'd hesitate to rate any of Miyazaki's films as "poor", but this comes the closest. The story was just too slow-paced to really be interesting, and the environmental and "war is bad" overtones were, IMHO, better executed in Nausicaä Of The Valley Of The Wind. The animation, as always, is gorgeous, but I just can't bring myself to care about anything that's going on in the story. The patchy dub doesn't help. Some of the voice actors are pretty good - Clare Danes (who plays San) does a pretty good job, and Gillian Anderson in particular gets her teeth into her role - but the "main" character (I can't even remember his name!) is just flat and lifeless, which is never a good thing. Overall - good, but not great. Expand
    Jun 12, 2004
    This is the best movie I have seen! Wonderful!
  83. JohnF.
    May 27, 2004
    It's a great movie.
  84. BillS.
    Mar 27, 2004
    Best movie ever. Seen it over 250 times. Whoever gives it less that a ten sucks.
  85. MattK.
    Mar 21, 2004
    I saw this movie for the first time in 2004 because I fell in love with "Spirited Away," another Hayao Myazaki film, and wasnt expecting to get the same feelings that I got when I saw "Spirited Away." I dont think I could've been more wrong. It has many similarities to "SA" but seemed to create a magical feeling without having to be like "SA." Beautifully drawn, beautifully acted, beautiful.
  86. JohanM.
    Mar 3, 2004
    A fantastic movie, certainly one of the best i've ever seen.
  87. WesG.
    Feb 29, 2004
    The best anime I have ever seen, I sleep with my dvd copy of it.
  88. MartinF.
    Jan 29, 2004
    Simply: A beautiful story, well made. After the end you simply want more and more. One of the best...
  89. TaylorM.
    Nov 20, 2003
    Pretty much my favorite. It's completely awesome.
  90. ElizabethV.
    Sep 29, 2003
    One day, my mom rented Princess Mononoke. I didn't want to watch it, but she convinced me. I just love it. One thing that I like about it is that there are really no evil characters. Everyone's just fighting for what they believe in. It's like nothing I've ever seen. Hayao Miyazaki has a wonderful imagination.
  91. YoonMinC.
    Sep 24, 2003
    An impressive firework display with Miyazaki's loaded arsenal of visionary images going off at full blast. However, nothing is groundbreaking. Miyazaki's idea of a more adult-oriented movie is to add gratuitous violence(an arrow hacks off and pins the limbs of a warrior to a tree), unpleasant gore(tentacle like worms more familiar in hentai excesses), and ceaselessly grimacing An impressive firework display with Miyazaki's loaded arsenal of visionary images going off at full blast. However, nothing is groundbreaking. Miyazaki's idea of a more adult-oriented movie is to add gratuitous violence(an arrow hacks off and pins the limbs of a warrior to a tree), unpleasant gore(tentacle like worms more familiar in hentai excesses), and ceaselessly grimacing countenances of beasts, and alot of toying about with sharp objects which often as not lead to some heavy bloodletting. Yet, what Miyazaki has to say is what he expressed much better(even poetically) in Nausicaa and his greatest film, Laputa. Worse, many fantasy elements misfire by relying more on oddity than ingenuity. And unforgivable is the manifestation of the forest spirit as an inflateable godzilla doll that cancerously grows out of a beheaded goat. Ultimate moral of the story: don't make goathead soup or else the forest god will get you? Expand
  92. Brendan
    Aug 24, 2003
    I agree with Rick in every way. I have never liked anime, never have and never will (all those stupid poses and animations) but this movie was great! I even bought it! lol
  93. Layne
    Jul 24, 2003
    Wonderful. This film will leave a mark on you that can only be filled by a second viewing, and then a third, and then a fifth, and so on. You will not only love this masterpiece by visionary director Miyazaki, you will be left mesmerised.
  94. MegaAwesome4001
    May 30, 2003
    This movie was superb. The animation was great and Ashitaka is an awesome character. It was brilliantly done, and abstract so it wasn't boring. It held the interest of a teenage boy. -Mega Awesome
  95. StephsL.
    May 26, 2003
    Well, it's a good movie. It has top-notch animation, perfect storyline (easily mistakened as a myth), hauntingly beautiful background music, and realistic characters. But the reason I'm not giving this a 10 is because it's more of a movie to admire than to really love. I mean, it's definetly not the type I can watch over and over again (the scene at the end drags a Well, it's a good movie. It has top-notch animation, perfect storyline (easily mistakened as a myth), hauntingly beautiful background music, and realistic characters. But the reason I'm not giving this a 10 is because it's more of a movie to admire than to really love. I mean, it's definetly not the type I can watch over and over again (the scene at the end drags a bit) but it's definetly a mythical and beautiful tale. Non-anime-fans should take a look at what they're missing (unless they really hate blood and gore). Expand
  96. PatrixM.
    Apr 28, 2003
    Perfection!
  97. LauraK9
    Apr 22, 2003
    As much as I loved this film, I'd have to agree with Rick's review. The movie was fun and adventurous through the first hour, but at the second hour it did seem to drag. It left me a truly powerful message, I was amazed at its crisp animation, the plot was a masterpiece of a plot, but it isn't a movie I can really watch over and over again. It seemed this film was something As much as I loved this film, I'd have to agree with Rick's review. The movie was fun and adventurous through the first hour, but at the second hour it did seem to drag. It left me a truly powerful message, I was amazed at its crisp animation, the plot was a masterpiece of a plot, but it isn't a movie I can really watch over and over again. It seemed this film was something more to admire than to love, so I give it an 8. I don't hate this film, please don't get me wrong. I don't mind a lot of violence at all, I just don't feel like lying and giving this movie an automatic 10. But even with giving it an 8, I still call it a masterpiece. Expand
  98. TaylorG.
    Apr 21, 2003
    Awesome. Simply awesome.
  99. JamesVB
    Apr 21, 2003
    Its animation is beautiful and the story is quite thoughtful.
  100. Rick
    Apr 15, 2003
    First off, anime fans(hardcore ones) are so fu#King close minded, everything anime must be put to a disney movie... Shut the **** up. I'v seen prob hundreds of anime movies, and 90 percent(mabe more) SUCK...Alot of anime is so caught up with sex,extreme,extreme violence and nudity its not even funny.. I could name alot that are good(gundam,cowboy,akira,Slayers and alot more, yea 10 First off, anime fans(hardcore ones) are so fu#King close minded, everything anime must be put to a disney movie... Shut the **** up. I'v seen prob hundreds of anime movies, and 90 percent(mabe more) SUCK...Alot of anime is so caught up with sex,extreme,extreme violence and nudity its not even funny.. I could name alot that are good(gundam,cowboy,akira,Slayers and alot more, yea 10 %) Alot of anime titles leave the viewer with little(to no) plot, and the story has so many holes in it, its better to watch a vandam movie.. Some anime titles are good, but alot of disney movies just surpass them in emotion and story..... Now for the review, 8, thats what i gave it(prob for art and animation) and the few intense moments, the music was very good also, well done in alot of the scenes...But as you go further in the movie, its starts to drag and it sometimes felt there were throwing in scenes to make it longer, which made a big part of the movie boring. But all in all its a good movie(great animation) and very much worth watching...This is coming from a normal(mabe not) viewer, not a HARDCORE anime fan....So take a look at it. Expand

Wacky, vividly conceived but mundanely executed cartoon fantasy.
    A big movie for the ages, full to the brim with sympathy, imagination and sheer visual delight.
    One of the most visually inventive films I have ever seen.