8.3

1. Sep 22, 2013
    Absolutely the best film of the year so far. I was on the edge of my seat the entire time. Great writing and acting(by jackman, gyllenhaal, and dano especially). The shocking ending left me really thinking about the movie. Highly recommended.
  2. Sep 23, 2013
    The actors tried hard to give their characters some depth (eye twitch Jake) but the story felt like something a 9th grader wrote for his creative writing assignment. I felt like it moved from one predictable moment to the next while, all the time, jumping up and down and waving its hand "Look at me! See what I did here? Isn't it cool?" I may have sat for the 153 minutes and walked awayThe actors tried hard to give their characters some depth (eye twitch Jake) but the story felt like something a 9th grader wrote for his creative writing assignment. I felt like it moved from one predictable moment to the next while, all the time, jumping up and down and waving its hand "Look at me! See what I did here? Isn't it cool?" I may have sat for the 153 minutes and walked away entertained, but that is the only expectation met. The quality of the entertainment was sorely lacking. Expand
  3. Oct 4, 2013
    Perfect direction, powerful story, excellent performances.. A gripping, dark, psychological mystery thriller, which will make you keep at the edge of your seat! Try to find out who is the real culprit of the abduction!! Quickly, you don't have time!!
  4. Dec 19, 2013
    Prisoners was an amazing movie! The cinematography, the direction, the performances by Gyllenhaal and Jackman were among the best I've seen in recent years. The writing was also great. I cannot believe how criminally under-rated this movie is. It is a long movie so it's possible that people lost attention. But wow, I was touched by this movie, and I would recommend it to anyone.
  5. Oct 10, 2013
    A very dark and intriguing film, similar to Zodiac, which asks us the question how far we could go to find our missing loved ones, in this case our children. The film is quite long and there is obviously a lot of drama, but it managed to keep me interested throughout the entire movie because the film succeeds in making the viewer feel the pain and despair of the family, partly due to aA very dark and intriguing film, similar to Zodiac, which asks us the question how far we could go to find our missing loved ones, in this case our children. The film is quite long and there is obviously a lot of drama, but it managed to keep me interested throughout the entire movie because the film succeeds in making the viewer feel the pain and despair of the family, partly due to a great and gritty performance by Hugh Jackman, and by making us want to uncover the truth with regard to a few characters. Are some people really as guilty or suspicious as they seem or do we judge too easily because we want to believe that there is more? Prisoners poses us this question and keeps us on the edge of our seats as it takes us on a search for answers. Expand
  6. Oct 16, 2013
    'Two wrongs don't make a right' is a common phrase but with Prisoners we may have found an argument against its meaning. It raises the question of what is right and wrong when you are fighting to save a life. This is shown through faith, torture and upbringing with each character's personality questioning these themes. What is right? Who is wrong? And is it right to do wrong?

On

On Thanksgiving the Dover family enjoy dinner at their old friend's house, the Birches. The enjoyment levels are at an all time high, for the only time in the film, until the youngest daughter from each family disappears. The parents begin to search frantically as the cops find the chief suspect in the RV that was parked up the road. This suspect has an IQ of a ten year old and the police believe they should look elsewhere but Keller Dover thinks otherwise and instead chooses his own methods of getting truth from the suspect. Will they find the girls and who will first?

Starring Hugh Jackman as Keller Dover, Prisoners raises these intriguing issues by pitting the doting father against his daughter's potential kidnapper. As a parent you'd do anything to get those answers and in Dover's case this resorts to torture, imprisonment and fear. In opposition to that we have Jake Gyllenhaal's Detective Loki, an officer who relies on hard police work. These two may be aiming for a shared goal but ultimately they are each other's antagonist as they hunt for truth in very different ways. As an audience member it is up to you to decide which one is right.

Villeneuve's direction and Guzikowski's script squeeze the themes to tears by covering each angle and every scene in opposing morality questions. At times these are deep but at others they feel forced, such as a priest who has killed a child killer to prevent him from continuing. This is here to be bleak, depressing and full of moral issues and it doesn't let up from that. Its pace is slow, the music dreary, the cinematography grey and wet, all adding to the tone of Villeneuve's piece. The script at times may feel 'on-the-nose' but it does raise these questions through it. Is it right to kill in order to prevent a killer, even if you are a priest?

Added to the bleak tone are exceptional performances from Jackman and Gyllenhaal. Jackman portrays the grieving father with power and emotion leaving you unsure whether to route for him when he tortures the mentally confused suspect played by Paul Dano. At times his character is empathetic but at others he is frightening. This may become a problem if he was the hero to route for but instead during these scenes we promote Gyllenhaal's Loki to the forefront and it is his desperate search for the truth that we believe in. Gyllenhall also provides a wonderful performance as the Detective who suspects everyone until they are proven innocent. Both of these men can be seen as our protagonist but in reality neither of them are and instead the shared goal is what we route for. You may have a character you believe in but that all depends on which side of the fence you come down on.

All in all Prisoners is a powerful movie, oozing in contemporary and moral issues. They are all prisoners in some way or another, even those fighting to put things right. At times the script laces these issues to the max, causing a few overly uncomfortable and expositional scenes but the gorgeous cinematography, towering performances and the cold atmosphere will have you leaving the theatre questioning what your move would be if you were ever in this position. This is not for the faint hearted and if you fancy a light popcorn entertainment film than Prisoners certainly isn't it.

Rating: 4.5 5

Directing: Villeneuve keeps the story's pace slow and adds more power from doing so.

Acting: Strong performances from all involved with a star turn from Jackman.

Script: A taut script that is let down slightly by nailing the themes too neatly.

Cinematography: Deakins keeps it grey putting a shiver continually down the audience's spine.

Score: Adds to the tone and engages you fully.

Editing: Seamless. The slow pace remains constant and works.

Overall: A thought provoking story that keeps you gripped throughout.
  7. Feb 3, 2014
    what can dad feel and do, If dad can not find his girl? you can follow the Hugh Jackman in this film for to understand dad emotions.. deep story perfect roles..
  8. Nov 10, 2013
    Prisoners was a fantastic, deeply emotional thriller. A superb lead performance by Hugh Jackman with great support from Jake Gyllenhaal, Terrence Howard, and Viola Davis. The plot is slow at times, but it builds up to a very satisfying conclusion.
  9. Nov 2, 2013
    Positives: One of the best films yet this year! Prisoners delves deep into a realm where few movies are able to take an audience. With plenty of twists and turns, along with an outstanding soundtrack and spine chilling visuals, this film will keep you on the edge of your seat nonstop.

Negatives: Going into this movie you need to know your in for the long haul, even with a long attention span, the story will seem to go nowhere at points and can fatigue you with it's dark concepts. The constant depressing state and expansive plot line was nearly exhausting to watch.
  10. Nov 6, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I have never been so emotionally invested and on the edge of my seat in any other movie before. The acting, story, directing, and writing were all brilliant. I never felt bored and waiting for the movie to end because I was so interested in what was going to happen next.

I am not one for ambiguity but I wish that the ending was told a little bit more instead of it ending with Jake hearing the whistle and beginning to investigate.
  11. Mar 8, 2015
    I was a little hesitant in seeing Prisoners, as when i saw the trailers, i thought straight away that that they gave everything away. Had it shown us what really happened, who the kidnapper was and if any major twists that would ruin the film? Well many people thought so. I had a look on a few forums and websites, and everyone were the same. Had the trailers just ruined the whole premiseI was a little hesitant in seeing Prisoners, as when i saw the trailers, i thought straight away that that they gave everything away. Had it shown us what really happened, who the kidnapper was and if any major twists that would ruin the film? Well many people thought so. I had a look on a few forums and websites, and everyone were the same. Had the trailers just ruined the whole premise of the film, well fortunately not. So here I am after watching Prisoners, quite happy that i was proved wrong, and I had just watched an enjoyable albeit a little dragged out crime drama.

We’re pretty much thrown straight into things. After a small family thanksgiving get together, and a little more booze than initially thought, the dads Keller and Franklin (Hugh Jackman and Terrence Howard) along with mothers Grace and Nancy, (Maria Bello and Viola Davis) relax and wind down with a few games. After allowing their two young daughters to go outside and play about by their home which also has a creepy looking, dirty, dingy, RV camper van near by, it suddenly becomes apparent that their children are missing, and once its noticed that this suspect RV has also gone walkabouts, the conclusion is that their kids have been abducted.

This leads to a police hunt led by Detective Loki (Jake Gyllenhaal) promising that he will find these kids no matter what. The camper van being the supposed key to everything, has learning impaired Alex Jones at the wheel (played superbly by Paul Dano) all caught up in a story with numerous turns, twists and submissions, that it continuously keeps the viewer guessing whats going on, and who is behind everything that happens in front of their eyes. In the closing stages of the film, its seems all a little rushed in regards to the twist, but if paying enough attention, the audience should clock on with what is happening and have the reveal before the characters. A good few clues are thrown straight in front of our eyes, and I quite liked the fact that we could work this out before the some of the characters, as we were seeing things from a different perspective.

Loki, the fathers, and the mothers all go through the emotions, with varying differences in how these families cope with the taking of these girls. Some take the vengeful route, others take matters in to their own hands, and some break down into an emotional wreck, disregarding anything else in the world to them. This is very apparent in the way the mothers deal with this current loss, one very different from the other.

Some aspects within the film come across slightly strange, mainly for me, the police side of things and the way Keller acts. There really is only Loki looking for these children, trying to piece together what has happened, and how to solve it. Yes every now and then another police officer is seen, but generally with two girls missing, I would have thought a bigger police presence would have been on the scene. This might be because Loki has some demons of his own that is pushing him towards this case, but still it looked all a bit sparse. Keller on the other hand, when taking action into his own hands, seems so intent on one person, with really nothing to go on at most times, that his actions just seemed out of the blue for who he is and what he did. Yes his child is missing, but what he does, and somehow with complete ease, seems far-fetched in the way he gets away with it, but again that may loop to the lack of police presence, Keller is easily able to do what he wants, when he wants, to try and force answers that he wants to hear, because no one is stopping him.

I thought the film would build up the families a bit more, show us who these people are, what they are like, build a relationship with the viewer before the kidnapping took place. But nope, 10-15 mins in and the films major plot begins, the two young children we are briefly introduced to have been taken, and the story starts. We were never really given any real close knit family moments, or any real introduction to the two girls, but if we were shown this, it may may have made Prisoners even darker than it is. Yes the terrible aspect of these two children taken is bad enough here, its strong enough to make the audience greatly care, and the story twists continue to intrigue, but that slight cover from the director, making the viewers not attached to these specific children by name, may have made the emotional absorbing rollercoaster of a story , that little bit easier to watch. However i did enjoy the relationship between Alex Jones and his grandmother. It was well thought out initially, but again would have liked certain parts to have been explained further.

The film goes on for over 150 minutes, which at times feels like its dragging, but weirdly enough certain scenes, as like previously said, the reveal, the twist, feels rushed. I enjoyed Prisoners from the off. Some of the characters actions were questionable

Full Review @ItsMuchMore
  12. Nov 14, 2013
    This movie was put together very well. It felt a little long though even though it flowed smoothly. The chemistry between Jackman and Jyllenhaal was great. Not really knowing what the movie was about really helped too. And I love a movie you can figure out as you go if you pay attention. The ending isn't just thrown together. It almost feels like they thought out the movie backwards soThis movie was put together very well. It felt a little long though even though it flowed smoothly. The chemistry between Jackman and Jyllenhaal was great. Not really knowing what the movie was about really helped too. And I love a movie you can figure out as you go if you pay attention. The ending isn't just thrown together. It almost feels like they thought out the movie backwards so everything makes perfect sense. Expand
  13. Dec 1, 2013
    When you see a movie without any expectation, that's when you are able to judge it better, that's what happened with me, I had no idea what I was in for, and I really enjoyed it, what a great piece of cinema, and I should emphasis that I usually dislike "serial killer" movies and I'm not a big fan of drama.

What was great about this movie is that each character seems human, there's no

What was great about this movie is that each character seems human, there's no heroes, there's no role models for people to empathize with and cheer for, there's just a bunch of flawed people doing mistakes and innocent lives in the line.

I find it funny that some people claim this movie to be based on tropes, on cliche characters, I guess they don't know the meaning of the words because they couldn't be more wrong. This are the kind of people that think that after thousands of films, they should be surprised from start to end, I feel sorry for them.

Characters 9
    There's not one single character I would label as cliche, like I said before, they look like real people which suits perfectly the plot and the movie style.

Plot/Story 7
    It's nothing special really, but evolves very well, doesn't have holes as far as I perceived.

Acting 9
    I'm not a good judge of acting, but it all seemed stellar, all characters did quite a good job in my opinion.

Soundtrack 10
    Perfect, just perfect, first thing I did after I watched the movie, I bought the soundtrack.

Cinematography 10
    Masterly done, the style suits perfectly this kind of movie.

All in all, rating this movie as a 9 seems fair enough, but I would say its closer to 10 than it is to 8.
  14. Jul 26, 2014
    The direction and the performances are absolutely amazing. I don't usually go for big acting, but it worked for me in this movie. If there's anything wrong with it it's that, in the end, it perhaps doesn't live up completely to its full potential. But even though that might mean that it misses the mark (and only barely so) of becoming an instant contemporary classic, it's still the bestThe direction and the performances are absolutely amazing. I don't usually go for big acting, but it worked for me in this movie. If there's anything wrong with it it's that, in the end, it perhaps doesn't live up completely to its full potential. But even though that might mean that it misses the mark (and only barely so) of becoming an instant contemporary classic, it's still the best crime thriller in recent memory and one of my favorite films of the year. Expand
  15. Dec 29, 2013
    The film, Prisoners, is a very dark and disturbing film. The actors did a great job in their roles. The parents presented with reactions that make viewers unable to help but reflect by putting themselves in their shoes, and the choices they would make if their children were kidnapped. The awkward guy with the glasses was especially amazing an unforgettable character. The film is a battleThe film, Prisoners, is a very dark and disturbing film. The actors did a great job in their roles. The parents presented with reactions that make viewers unable to help but reflect by putting themselves in their shoes, and the choices they would make if their children were kidnapped. The awkward guy with the glasses was especially amazing an unforgettable character. The film is a battle between morals and mystery. The ending was inconclusive, only leaving viewers with a question revolved around the reasoning behind the name of the film. Basically, this is a great film, and a must- watch" film of the year for me.

Hopefully there's a sequel to answer all the unanswered questions, but could suffice without one as it is also pleasant to think deeply after a movie for a change.
  16. Dec 28, 2013
    Reminiscent of David Fincher's Zodiac in both length and scope, Prisoners is a disarmingly disturbing and effective drama that only gets better as it creeps along. Hugh Jackman anchors the film with an explosive performance, and Melissa Leo is award-caliber in a supporting role.
  17. Dec 28, 2013
    simply awesome.may be the best movie of this year.Best Acting in a leading role huge jackman do his best.I chose him oscar for this position.O my god what a movie....!!!!
    jack gyllenhaal i was not your fan before this movie...and huge jackman too....
  18. Jan 4, 2014
    Great movie with top class acting all around, the movie sticks with you after you have left the theater. One of the best movies of the year. It is a little too long but it does pay off.
  19. Jan 28, 2015
    This film was pretty savage and brutal, but totally fascinating to watch also. It really doean't mind getting pretty dark with it's "protagonists" and also portrays a possible situation of how a parent that has that child kidnapped would react. The only thing that makes Hugh Jackmans character a protagonist is that he is the one who has something good and delicate taken from him, but hisThis film was pretty savage and brutal, but totally fascinating to watch also. It really doean't mind getting pretty dark with it's "protagonists" and also portrays a possible situation of how a parent that has that child kidnapped would react. The only thing that makes Hugh Jackmans character a protagonist is that he is the one who has something good and delicate taken from him, but his actions still make him in the wrong which males his character inbeliviably interesting to watch. Performances are brilliant and the director and cinematographer definitely worked well together for this film: they create an eerie and melancholic tone immaculately. Story line feels like it had been touched on quite a few times, but if feels rather fresh in the way it's delivered - similar to a David Fincher film. Great film overall with some great scenes in it, but i'm mixed between giving it a 7 or an 8. I'd give it a 7.5 but to keep it safe i'll round downwards instead of archetypically round up. 7 is a good score for me however and i'md say this film is a one to watch for sure! Expand
  20. Jan 14, 2014
    Prisoners is a pretty good film, but has its faults. The early scenes of two families dealing with the unimaginable are great, and Gyllenhall is solid as the detective. As the plot unfold, it is at once riveting, unbelievable, shocking, and hokey. I was either rolling my eyes or holding my breath. The length feels a bit unnecessary. Overall, worth a watch if you like the actors and crimePrisoners is a pretty good film, but has its faults. The early scenes of two families dealing with the unimaginable are great, and Gyllenhall is solid as the detective. As the plot unfold, it is at once riveting, unbelievable, shocking, and hokey. I was either rolling my eyes or holding my breath. The length feels a bit unnecessary. Overall, worth a watch if you like the actors and crime films full of twists. Expand
  21. Jan 18, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie is great, it has great suspense, that kept me on the edge of my seat, the acting is great, Hugh Jackman delivers his greatest performance, but I did had a,( in my opinion), terrible ending, but this movie is still great, and one of the year's best. Expand
  22. Jan 23, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Prisoners is an Oscar worthy film it could probably win. I 'm not sure if the movie or anyone is nominated but Gyllenhaal gives the best performance in this as Detective Loki a Twitchy,Calm Determined detective. Jackman and Terrence Howard are both friends who lose their youngest daughters from Kidnapper(s). This movie is Amazing, Dark, Gritty, and Perfect my favorite movie of 2013. People thought this movie was too predictable but i didn't especially know who the Kidnapper is I definitely only suspected the correct person minutes before that person was revealed. Anyway this is a Must See Expand
  23. Feb 9, 2014
    This movie is terrible if you like your films to make a modicum of sense. It's truly an unbelievable mess which only angered me as I watched it to its ridiculous conclusion. The cast is great, the acting is good too I just wonder why no-one was screaming at the director and asking the simple question if everyone in this town is retarded or has an IQ below that of a chimp. Like others haveThis movie is terrible if you like your films to make a modicum of sense. It's truly an unbelievable mess which only angered me as I watched it to its ridiculous conclusion. The cast is great, the acting is good too I just wonder why no-one was screaming at the director and asking the simple question if everyone in this town is retarded or has an IQ below that of a chimp. Like others have said it is well shot and the music is suspenseful and the core of the story is really good, but the characters are a major let down and the script was weak. There are so many holes in this that the leaps the characters make, for this film to progress its story are truly ridiculous. This was no thriller, there was no suspense and seemed pretty obvious to me despite the lengths the writers went to as an attempt to confuse the audience. Its shallow nonsense that's all I can say. It does not deserve the score it currently has (8.1).

On the other hand if your the kind of person that believes that movies should have no real substance or that you don't understand what that means. Or your the kind of person who just wants to sit back let the movie play and wash over you while munching popcorn and having a conversation, then this film is excellent!
  24. May 3, 2014
    A great performance by Hugh Jackman, a mind-blowing story that is not that complex, a story that can be put in 1hr 45 min, but turns out that this movie is overly long, with unnecessary scenes that make this movie 2hr 30 min and slow, which brings the suspense down.
  25. May 8, 2014
    Canadian director Denis Villeneuve gives us a strong film that is filled with heartbreaking moments. Jackman puts on his strongest performance yet, Gyllenhaal is just masterful.
  26. Apr 3, 2014
    PRISONERS (153 min): directed by Denis Villeneuve
    Posted by: Jessica Hinman
    While two families come together to celebrate the holiday dedicated to giving thanks, something very precious was taken from them, their daughters. The two girls intended to slip outside for just a few minutes, but to their family’s dismay, they never returned. The community all gathered and helped the two
    PRISONERS (153 min): directed by Denis Villeneuve
    Posted by: Jessica Hinman
    The two girls intended to slip outside for just a few minutes, but to their family’s dismay, they never returned. The community all gathered and helped the two families search for their daughters. As the scenes unravel, you begin to question the probability of a fairy tale ending.
    This heart stopping, twisted crime drama appeals to the young adult and older audience because of its use of language and violent scene content. The cast consists of Jake Gyllenhaal who plays Detective Loki, Paul Dano who plays the mentally disabled suspect Alex, Terrence Howard who plays the father of the Birch family, Viola Davis who starred in the “The Help” plays the wife of Franklin Birch, and Maria Bello is the wife of Keller Dover (Hugh Jackman). When the investigation doesn’t seem to be moving quickly enough, Dover decides to take matters into his own hands. The scenes that follow make you ask yourself, “Just how far would I go to find my child?” This incredible cast takes you on a journey of emotions: from fear, to anger, to horror, and finally drops you off at guilt.
    This 153 minute movie takes its time to build you up and make you think you know exactly what is happening. Then it throws you off a cliff and says “Gotcha!”
    Prisoners is one of the best films of the year! Four stars go to this stomach-wrenching film that captures every parent’s most dreaded nightmare of losing their child.
  27. Apr 22, 2014
    Prisoners is one of the most intense movies I have ever watched especially near the ending. I was on the edge of my seat the whole time with my heart racing also the whole time. I couldn't guess what was going to happen next which is why this movie was so thrilling. I am upset that this movie didn't win any Oscars as it is one of my favourites of last year and deserves Oscars. If it camePrisoners is one of the most intense movies I have ever watched especially near the ending. I was on the edge of my seat the whole time with my heart racing also the whole time. I couldn't guess what was going to happen next which is why this movie was so thrilling. I am upset that this movie didn't win any Oscars as it is one of my favourites of last year and deserves Oscars. If it came out during the Oscar movie season I am sure it would have had more consideration. Expand
  28. Apr 26, 2014
    Literally the best movie I have seen all year. Extremely well made, with heaps of plot twists and exciting visuals. Will definitely have you biting your nails!! Beautifully produced, loved every second of it. MUST WATCH THIS FILM!!!!!
  29. Jun 19, 2014
    This movie caught me off guard...I figured here we go another kidnapping type movie but it was more than that...Hugh jackman and Jake gylanhall performance was believable a real touch home movie that will leave you guessing till the end....What a thriller...must watch...10/10.....
  30. Jul 4, 2014
    What's so good about "Prisoners", is that the script is very thoroughly written. The big reveal in the end does not have to be a big reveal - the film drops clues every now and then to put the viewer into the detective's role and solve the mystery before the protagonists. Also, I found Jake Gyllenhaal's performance delightfully delivered.
  31. Jul 1, 2014
    This is my second favourite film of all time behind shawshank redemption, this film is just perfect, there are so many twists and the story grips you right from the start. also fantastic acting.
  32. Jul 18, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A dumb and very strange detective named Loki, fights against something on his mind, we never now and even don't care about.
    A father that tries to rescue his daughter, no matter what and another one that weeps.
    Everything in this movie is boring but the worst thing about it is that they try to encourage my sympathy for a **** animal abuser !!

At the end, Prisoners is a lower graded SVU episode.
  33. Aug 30, 2014
    Absolutely dark and atmospheric. Prisoners has tense editing and performances, which makes up for a truly disturbing viewing of a terrible situation, it has all the ingredients of greatness.
  34. Nov 9, 2014
    The constantly riveting thriller Prisoners is an unforgettable, complex film that is beautifully shot and emotionally resonant even if it suffers from poor pacing and some unnecessary plot points.
  35. Apr 7, 2015
    Excellent movie. Absolutely entertaining. It's about a couple of girls that are kidnapped, and all the work that their parents and the police does to get them back. The acting is incredible. Gyllenhaal and Jackman are absolutely awesome in the film, as well as the kidnapper team. The story is incredibly original and it has a lot of unexpected twists, and everything about it is justExcellent movie. Absolutely entertaining. It's about a couple of girls that are kidnapped, and all the work that their parents and the police does to get them back. The acting is incredible. Gyllenhaal and Jackman are absolutely awesome in the film, as well as the kidnapper team. The story is incredibly original and it has a lot of unexpected twists, and everything about it is just perfect. It will keep you attached to the screen the whole run time.
    Watch it, just watch it.
    Real score: 9.4
  36. Jan 22, 2015
    This film was a surprisingly enjoyable ride, it had sleek visuals, engaging characters and a plot that had me hooked until the very end, where it stumbled a bit. Hugh Jackman felt like a strange pick considering how many people would only associate him with the endless **** comic book movies that are still spraying out of Hollywoods anus, extremely average action movies, and that one movieThis film was a surprisingly enjoyable ride, it had sleek visuals, engaging characters and a plot that had me hooked until the very end, where it stumbled a bit. Hugh Jackman felt like a strange pick considering how many people would only associate him with the endless **** comic book movies that are still spraying out of Hollywoods anus, extremely average action movies, and that one movie Australia that literally no-one gives a **** about. Hugh was good though, he played the emotionally tormented dad who would do anything for his daughter, but he takes it to the point where he goes so far that everyone in the audience disconnected from the character completely and he enters the "too **** up to sympathise" zone which is usually reserved for the bad guy so their torturous demise can be justified, but the movie continues like hes a protagonist and everyone just runs with it because **** yeah we want to know who took his daughter.

Jake Gyllenhaal does a great job of the obsessed gifted detective and his scenes are what make the movie interesting, but he's downplayed somewhat by the amount of screentime he shares and gives up for Jackman who spends it torturing a retard who somehow withstands serious amounts of **** which I felt was unrealistic or at least poorly explained, he says just enough to provoke Jackmans character and acts like he's intentionally enduring the torture for mysterious reasons, which are never really explored. The final scene is somewhat of a tease where a dramatic 3-way of characters with extremely strong motivation could have clashed but instead sort of just wrapped up without too much of a fuss.

Still a great thriller that might be a bit uncomfortable for your girlfriend, but she'll be squeezing your hand real tight the whole time, absolutely worth a view.
  37. Mar 18, 2015
    Denis Villeneuve dives head first into the world of mystery, thriller-drama in his 2013 film Prisoners. The story’s controversial subject matter is enough to deter even the most experienced of directors, however, Villeneuve does an outstanding job of reproducing the tension and unnerving suspense that writer Aaron Guzikowski presents in his script. The films stellar casting and outstandingDenis Villeneuve dives head first into the world of mystery, thriller-drama in his 2013 film Prisoners. The story’s controversial subject matter is enough to deter even the most experienced of directors, however, Villeneuve does an outstanding job of reproducing the tension and unnerving suspense that writer Aaron Guzikowski presents in his script. The films stellar casting and outstanding visual style make Prisoners one of the better thriller-dramas of the last five years.
    The story of a desperate father’s challenge of finding his daughters abductor is one to make even the toughest of the tough uneasy. Villeneuve avoids using shock tactics to create the illusion of a nail biting drama. Instead, he changes pace throughout the movie to keep the audience guessing. These sudden changes adds a whole new level of complexity to the characters. Keller Dover, played by Hugh Jackman, is a perfect example of the multi-dimensional characters portrayed by Villeneuve. He is a loving and caring father, but is determined to risk his to save his daughter. This duality shifts the audiences’ paradigm of Jackman’s character. One moment he is the protagonist, the next he’s the antagonist. Those who are accustomed to the grit of Hugh Jackman will find not only remnants of Wolverine, but be delighted to find a more sporadic, melodramatic side to the actor they may not have seen before. Villeneuve contrasts this with the more concrete character of Detective Loki, played by Jake Gyllenhaal. Gyllenhaal has proved in the past that he is capable of handling even the most complex of characters. Prisoners is no exception. Every detail of a young, stressed and over-worked detective is captivated by Gyllenhaal, he even got the nervous tick down.
    What makes the story of Prisoners so emotionally draining is its plausibility. There is no point in the script that the audience would say “OK, there is no way this would EVER happen in real life.” The story reaches a part of most viewers’ painful reality, that child abduction is a possibility. Aside from its story, Roger Deakins cinematography exemplifies what a thriller-drama should look like. Dull, cold colors, and close-up shots that put the viewer uncomfortably close to the action.
    Prisoners does what it sets out to do, reach the audience on a psychological level. This film distinguished the fine line between enjoying a film and liking a film. The main difference here being that Prisoners makes you uneasy and tense. I paid for the whole seat but only used the edge of it.
  38. Mar 19, 2015
    Crime, thriller, drama? Want to be a detective for 2 and a half hours? Watch Prisoners as this is a personal favorite of mine. I watched this three times and I still would recommend it to anyone who is down for a intensely dark yet captivating movie. Let me tell you that this is not a first date, second date, or third date movie. This is for those who have made their bed and alreadyCrime, thriller, drama? Want to be a detective for 2 and a half hours? Watch Prisoners as this is a personal favorite of mine. I watched this three times and I still would recommend it to anyone who is down for a intensely dark yet captivating movie. Let me tell you that this is not a first date, second date, or third date movie. This is for those who have made their bed and already considered how to handle situations like in this movie.

Music, there wasn't much music but the basic thriller orchestral stuff and any creepy beats that you can find in a serious film. Anyone watch "Training Day" or anyone gone through a period of time of just pure uncertainty? Yeah, this is that film that will leave you speechless. You go through an internal struggle on how you feel about the characters. I always look out for the film to world connection and I believe you will realize what kind of person you are from the characters who in a sense are just like you and me.

Every time I have watched it with people, the room has been completely silent. YES INVITE THAT ANNOYING FRIEND. It's annoying-friend movie approved but don't invite the person who always looks at their phones. I don't get those people and this movie doesn't deserve that.

Acting wise, it's a stud cast but Hugh Jackman ain't wolverine in this one. Denis Villeneuve (director), I look forward to writing more reviews about your work. Your ability to write but not sacrifice the quality of screenplay impresses me. I appreciate that.

Word to describe: footsteps. Everyday life there are many things we do not pay attention to like footsteps. This movie forces the audience to analyze everything.

1. Reviewed by: Lou Lumenick
    Sep 30, 2013
    Is torture ever justifiable? A twisty, compelling, brilliantly acted (if sometimes difficult to watch) thriller, Prisoners, asks this question not in the usual contemporary context — anti-terrorism — but instead as a gruesome option deployed as a response to every parent’s worst nightmare.
  2. Reviewed by: Emma Dibdin
    Sep 25, 2013
    A simmering pressure cooker of a thriller, Prisoners is an unforgiving but emotionally rewarding experience sustained by powerhouse performances, taut scripting and Villeneuve’s tonally assured direction.
  3. Reviewed by: Marc Savlov
    Sep 25, 2013
    It's a veritable shoo-in for an Oscar nod this year, and one of the more disturbing films to come out of a major studio in ages.