8.3

1. Apr 7, 2015
    Excellent movie. Absolutely entertaining. It's about a couple of girls that are kidnapped, and all the work that their parents and the police does to get them back. The acting is incredible. Gyllenhaal and Jackman are absolutely awesome in the film, as well as the kidnapper team. The story is incredibly original and it has a lot of unexpected twists, and everything about it is justExcellent movie. Absolutely entertaining. It's about a couple of girls that are kidnapped, and all the work that their parents and the police does to get them back. The acting is incredible. Gyllenhaal and Jackman are absolutely awesome in the film, as well as the kidnapper team. The story is incredibly original and it has a lot of unexpected twists, and everything about it is just perfect. It will keep you attached to the screen the whole run time.
    Watch it, just watch it.
    Real score: 9.4
  2. Mar 19, 2015
    Crime, thriller, drama? Want to be a detective for 2 and a half hours? Watch Prisoners as this is a personal favorite of mine. I watched this three times and I still would recommend it to anyone who is down for a intensely dark yet captivating movie. Let me tell you that this is not a first date, second date, or third date movie. This is for those who have made their bed and alreadyCrime, thriller, drama? Want to be a detective for 2 and a half hours? Watch Prisoners as this is a personal favorite of mine. I watched this three times and I still would recommend it to anyone who is down for a intensely dark yet captivating movie. Let me tell you that this is not a first date, second date, or third date movie. This is for those who have made their bed and already considered how to handle situations like in this movie.

Music, there wasn't much music but the basic thriller orchestral stuff and any creepy beats that you can find in a serious film. Anyone watch "Training Day" or anyone gone through a period of time of just pure uncertainty? Yeah, this is that film that will leave you speechless. You go through an internal struggle on how you feel about the characters. I always look out for the film to world connection and I believe you will realize what kind of person you are from the characters who in a sense are just like you and me.

Every time I have watched it with people, the room has been completely silent. YES INVITE THAT ANNOYING FRIEND. It's annoying-friend movie approved but don't invite the person who always looks at their phones. I don't get those people and this movie doesn't deserve that.

Acting wise, it's a stud cast but Hugh Jackman ain't wolverine in this one. Denis Villeneuve (director), I look forward to writing more reviews about your work. Your ability to write but not sacrifice the quality of screenplay impresses me. I appreciate that.

Word to describe: footsteps. Everyday life there are many things we do not pay attention to like footsteps. This movie forces the audience to analyze everything.
  3. Mar 18, 2015
    Denis Villeneuve dives head first into the world of mystery, thriller-drama in his 2013 film Prisoners. The story’s controversial subject matter is enough to deter even the most experienced of directors, however, Villeneuve does an outstanding job of reproducing the tension and unnerving suspense that writer Aaron Guzikowski presents in his script. The films stellar casting and outstandingDenis Villeneuve dives head first into the world of mystery, thriller-drama in his 2013 film Prisoners. The story’s controversial subject matter is enough to deter even the most experienced of directors, however, Villeneuve does an outstanding job of reproducing the tension and unnerving suspense that writer Aaron Guzikowski presents in his script. The films stellar casting and outstanding visual style make Prisoners one of the better thriller-dramas of the last five years.
    The story of a desperate father’s challenge of finding his daughters abductor is one to make even the toughest of the tough uneasy. Villeneuve avoids using shock tactics to create the illusion of a nail biting drama. Instead, he changes pace throughout the movie to keep the audience guessing. These sudden changes adds a whole new level of complexity to the characters. Keller Dover, played by Hugh Jackman, is a perfect example of the multi-dimensional characters portrayed by Villeneuve. He is a loving and caring father, but is determined to risk his to save his daughter. This duality shifts the audiences’ paradigm of Jackman’s character. One moment he is the protagonist, the next he’s the antagonist. Those who are accustomed to the grit of Hugh Jackman will find not only remnants of Wolverine, but be delighted to find a more sporadic, melodramatic side to the actor they may not have seen before. Villeneuve contrasts this with the more concrete character of Detective Loki, played by Jake Gyllenhaal. Gyllenhaal has proved in the past that he is capable of handling even the most complex of characters. Prisoners is no exception. Every detail of a young, stressed and over-worked detective is captivated by Gyllenhaal, he even got the nervous tick down.
    What makes the story of Prisoners so emotionally draining is its plausibility. There is no point in the script that the audience would say “OK, there is no way this would EVER happen in real life.” The story reaches a part of most viewers’ painful reality, that child abduction is a possibility. Aside from its story, Roger Deakins cinematography exemplifies what a thriller-drama should look like. Dull, cold colors, and close-up shots that put the viewer uncomfortably close to the action.
    Prisoners does what it sets out to do, reach the audience on a psychological level. This film distinguished the fine line between enjoying a film and liking a film. The main difference here being that Prisoners makes you uneasy and tense. I paid for the whole seat but only used the edge of it.
  4. Mar 8, 2015
    I was a little hesitant in seeing Prisoners, as when i saw the trailers, i thought straight away that that they gave everything away. Had it shown us what really happened, who the kidnapper was and if any major twists that would ruin the film? Well many people thought so. I had a look on a few forums and websites, and everyone were the same. Had the trailers just ruined the whole premiseI was a little hesitant in seeing Prisoners, as when i saw the trailers, i thought straight away that that they gave everything away. Had it shown us what really happened, who the kidnapper was and if any major twists that would ruin the film? Well many people thought so. I had a look on a few forums and websites, and everyone were the same. Had the trailers just ruined the whole premise of the film, well fortunately not. So here I am after watching Prisoners, quite happy that i was proved wrong, and I had just watched an enjoyable albeit a little dragged out crime drama.

We’re pretty much thrown straight into things. After a small family thanksgiving get together, and a little more booze than initially thought, the dads Keller and Franklin (Hugh Jackman and Terrence Howard) along with mothers Grace and Nancy, (Maria Bello and Viola Davis) relax and wind down with a few games. After allowing their two young daughters to go outside and play about by their home which also has a creepy looking, dirty, dingy, RV camper van near by, it suddenly becomes apparent that their children are missing, and once its noticed that this suspect RV has also gone walkabouts, the conclusion is that their kids have been abducted.

This leads to a police hunt led by Detective Loki (Jake Gyllenhaal) promising that he will find these kids no matter what. The camper van being the supposed key to everything, has learning impaired Alex Jones at the wheel (played superbly by Paul Dano) all caught up in a story with numerous turns, twists and submissions, that it continuously keeps the viewer guessing whats going on, and who is behind everything that happens in front of their eyes. In the closing stages of the film, its seems all a little rushed in regards to the twist, but if paying enough attention, the audience should clock on with what is happening and have the reveal before the characters. A good few clues are thrown straight in front of our eyes, and I quite liked the fact that we could work this out before the some of the characters, as we were seeing things from a different perspective.

Loki, the fathers, and the mothers all go through the emotions, with varying differences in how these families cope with the taking of these girls. Some take the vengeful route, others take matters in to their own hands, and some break down into an emotional wreck, disregarding anything else in the world to them. This is very apparent in the way the mothers deal with this current loss, one very different from the other.

Some aspects within the film come across slightly strange, mainly for me, the police side of things and the way Keller acts. There really is only Loki looking for these children, trying to piece together what has happened, and how to solve it. Yes every now and then another police officer is seen, but generally with two girls missing, I would have thought a bigger police presence would have been on the scene. This might be because Loki has some demons of his own that is pushing him towards this case, but still it looked all a bit sparse. Keller on the other hand, when taking action into his own hands, seems so intent on one person, with really nothing to go on at most times, that his actions just seemed out of the blue for who he is and what he did. Yes his child is missing, but what he does, and somehow with complete ease, seems far-fetched in the way he gets away with it, but again that may loop to the lack of police presence, Keller is easily able to do what he wants, when he wants, to try and force answers that he wants to hear, because no one is stopping him.

I thought the film would build up the families a bit more, show us who these people are, what they are like, build a relationship with the viewer before the kidnapping took place. But nope, 10-15 mins in and the films major plot begins, the two young children we are briefly introduced to have been taken, and the story starts. We were never really given any real close knit family moments, or any real introduction to the two girls, but if we were shown this, it may may have made Prisoners even darker than it is. Yes the terrible aspect of these two children taken is bad enough here, its strong enough to make the audience greatly care, and the story twists continue to intrigue, but that slight cover from the director, making the viewers not attached to these specific children by name, may have made the emotional absorbing rollercoaster of a story , that little bit easier to watch. However i did enjoy the relationship between Alex Jones and his grandmother. It was well thought out initially, but again would have liked certain parts to have been explained further.

The film goes on for over 150 minutes, which at times feels like its dragging, but weirdly enough certain scenes, as like previously said, the reveal, the twist, feels rushed. I enjoyed Prisoners from the off. Some of the characters actions were questionable

Full Review @ItsMuchMore
  5. Jan 28, 2015
    This film was pretty savage and brutal, but totally fascinating to watch also. It really doean't mind getting pretty dark with it's "protagonists" and also portrays a possible situation of how a parent that has that child kidnapped would react. The only thing that makes Hugh Jackmans character a protagonist is that he is the one who has something good and delicate taken from him, but hisThis film was pretty savage and brutal, but totally fascinating to watch also. It really doean't mind getting pretty dark with it's "protagonists" and also portrays a possible situation of how a parent that has that child kidnapped would react. The only thing that makes Hugh Jackmans character a protagonist is that he is the one who has something good and delicate taken from him, but his actions still make him in the wrong which males his character inbeliviably interesting to watch. Performances are brilliant and the director and cinematographer definitely worked well together for this film: they create an eerie and melancholic tone immaculately. Story line feels like it had been touched on quite a few times, but if feels rather fresh in the way it's delivered - similar to a David Fincher film. Great film overall with some great scenes in it, but i'm mixed between giving it a 7 or an 8. I'd give it a 7.5 but to keep it safe i'll round downwards instead of archetypically round up. 7 is a good score for me however and i'md say this film is a one to watch for sure! Expand
  6. Jan 22, 2015
    This film was a surprisingly enjoyable ride, it had sleek visuals, engaging characters and a plot that had me hooked until the very end, where it stumbled a bit. Hugh Jackman felt like a strange pick considering how many people would only associate him with the endless **** comic book movies that are still spraying out of Hollywoods anus, extremely average action movies, and that one movieThis film was a surprisingly enjoyable ride, it had sleek visuals, engaging characters and a plot that had me hooked until the very end, where it stumbled a bit. Hugh Jackman felt like a strange pick considering how many people would only associate him with the endless **** comic book movies that are still spraying out of Hollywoods anus, extremely average action movies, and that one movie Australia that literally no-one gives a **** about. Hugh was good though, he played the emotionally tormented dad who would do anything for his daughter, but he takes it to the point where he goes so far that everyone in the audience disconnected from the character completely and he enters the "too **** up to sympathise" zone which is usually reserved for the bad guy so their torturous demise can be justified, but the movie continues like hes a protagonist and everyone just runs with it because **** yeah we want to know who took his daughter.

Jake Gyllenhaal does a great job of the obsessed gifted detective and his scenes are what make the movie interesting, but he's downplayed somewhat by the amount of screentime he shares and gives up for Jackman who spends it torturing a retard who somehow withstands serious amounts of **** which I felt was unrealistic or at least poorly explained, he says just enough to provoke Jackmans character and acts like he's intentionally enduring the torture for mysterious reasons, which are never really explored. The final scene is somewhat of a tease where a dramatic 3-way of characters with extremely strong motivation could have clashed but instead sort of just wrapped up without too much of a fuss.

Still a great thriller that might be a bit uncomfortable for your girlfriend, but she'll be squeezing your hand real tight the whole time, absolutely worth a view.
  7. Nov 9, 2014
    The constantly riveting thriller Prisoners is an unforgettable, complex film that is beautifully shot and emotionally resonant even if it suffers from poor pacing and some unnecessary plot points.
  8. Sep 1, 2014
    With several incredibly strong performances and beautiful direction, this film reaches every aspect of our emotions. It is not often that a film of this measure can hold our suspense, but this one does.
  9. Aug 30, 2014
    Absolutely dark and atmospheric. Prisoners has tense editing and performances, which makes up for a truly disturbing viewing of a terrible situation, it has all the ingredients of greatness.
  10. Jul 26, 2014
    The direction and the performances are absolutely amazing. I don't usually go for big acting, but it worked for me in this movie. If there's anything wrong with it it's that, in the end, it perhaps doesn't live up completely to its full potential. But even though that might mean that it misses the mark (and only barely so) of becoming an instant contemporary classic, it's still the bestThe direction and the performances are absolutely amazing. I don't usually go for big acting, but it worked for me in this movie. If there's anything wrong with it it's that, in the end, it perhaps doesn't live up completely to its full potential. But even though that might mean that it misses the mark (and only barely so) of becoming an instant contemporary classic, it's still the best crime thriller in recent memory and one of my favorite films of the year. Expand
  11. Jul 18, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A dumb and very strange detective named Loki, fights against something on his mind, we never now and even don't care about.
    A father that tries to rescue his daughter, no matter what and another one that weeps.
    Everything in this movie is boring but the worst thing about it is that they try to encourage my sympathy for a **** animal abuser !!

At the end, Prisoners is a lower graded SVU episode.
  12. Jul 4, 2014
    What's so good about "Prisoners", is that the script is very thoroughly written. The big reveal in the end does not have to be a big reveal - the film drops clues every now and then to put the viewer into the detective's role and solve the mystery before the protagonists. Also, I found Jake Gyllenhaal's performance delightfully delivered.
  13. Jul 1, 2014
    This is my second favourite film of all time behind shawshank redemption, this film is just perfect, there are so many twists and the story grips you right from the start. also fantastic acting.
  14. Jun 19, 2014
    This movie caught me off guard...I figured here we go another kidnapping type movie but it was more than that...Hugh jackman and Jake gylanhall performance was believable a real touch home movie that will leave you guessing till the end....What a thriller...must watch...10/10.....
  15. May 26, 2014
    Prisoners is a prime example of why I will never understand Hollywood. You've got a truly great story, an all-star cast, and a world renowned Director, making his American debut. Prisoners was considered to be an Oscar caliber film before it was even released, yet for some reason they had to make it nearly three hours long. If there was enough story for a three hour film, then I'd be allPrisoners is a prime example of why I will never understand Hollywood. You've got a truly great story, an all-star cast, and a world renowned Director, making his American debut. Prisoners was considered to be an Oscar caliber film before it was even released, yet for some reason they had to make it nearly three hours long. If there was enough story for a three hour film, then I'd be all for it, but Prisoners has a good 45 minutes worth of repetitiveness, that does nothing to help the movie, in fact, it takes something away from the film. The story begins on Thanksgiving, when two little girls go outside to play and disappear. Feeling that the police aren't doing enough to find the kids, one father (Hugh Jackman) decides to take matters into his own hands. Hugh Jackman stars in a role I wouldn't have imagined him playing in a million years. Based on his other roles and what I know about the man, this doesn't even seem like the kind of role he'd be interested in, but he gives one of the strongest performances I've seen all year, I really didn't know he had that in him. Jackman is paired by Jake Gyllenhaal, another guy who I couldn't see playing a tough as nails police detective, but he too surprised, giving a very strong performance. The cast isn't the problem and the story isn't the problem, what bothered me about this film was how much of it was unnecessary. Did we really need dozens of scenes with Jackman and Dano or all the talk and sadness amongst the families? This was a great all-around movie, but it was so long, that by the end, I'd stopped caring about what was happening and just wanted it to be over. Don't get me wrong, I highly recommend this film for a unique twist on classic story, great performances from an unlikely cast, and the work of a Director who his known around the world for his signature style, but just a word of caution. Prisoners is a very long film, that at many points seems to go around in circles. When they eventually do get to the point, it's outstanding, but it takes a while to get there. Expand
  16. May 25, 2014
    Damn This was a great movie had me guessing all the way till the vary end I mean I was able to put some things together through out the movie but all the twists were just crazy an too much. The film follows two families trying to deal with thier daughters coming up missing and the dectective (Jake Gyllenhaal) trying to find out what happened to them. The cast was amazing and everyone did aDamn This was a great movie had me guessing all the way till the vary end I mean I was able to put some things together through out the movie but all the twists were just crazy an too much. The film follows two families trying to deal with thier daughters coming up missing and the dectective (Jake Gyllenhaal) trying to find out what happened to them. The cast was amazing and everyone did a great job Jake Gyllenhaal does a great cop now doubt about that with End of Watch and now this. Hugh Jackman was on another level though it was the best proformance I have ever seen from him.

The realism is what makes the film how the families try to deal with what is happening to them and what they will do to get their children back. Sure some will say it was hard to watch at times but I guess it's the realism that helps with that. I never really had a hard time watching the torture scenes and seeing all the reviews I was thinking it was going to be a lot worse then it was. The ending leaves off without the whole stroy wrapping up but i actually liked it though I can see why other would be upset by it.

Overall I give it a 8.5 Third best film i watched this year beating out Mud. This movie is a great watch but i think it's one of those movies that you can really only watch once.
  17. May 10, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I liked it for the most part, but was kind of disappointed.The movie has great actors, and they did a great job.It also did a good job of keeping me guessing, but the ending was kind of annoying for me.It just felt incomplete for me, and I didn`t get any real satisfaction out of anything that happened. Expand
  18. May 8, 2014
    Canadian director Denis Villeneuve gives us a strong film that is filled with heartbreaking moments. Jackman puts on his strongest performance yet, Gyllenhaal is just masterful.
  19. May 3, 2014
    A great performance by Hugh Jackman, a mind-blowing story that is not that complex, a story that can be put in 1hr 45 min, but turns out that this movie is overly long, with unnecessary scenes that make this movie 2hr 30 min and slow, which brings the suspense down.
  20. Apr 26, 2014
    Literally the best movie I have seen all year. Extremely well made, with heaps of plot twists and exciting visuals. Will definitely have you biting your nails!! Beautifully produced, loved every second of it. MUST WATCH THIS FILM!!!!!
  21. Apr 22, 2014
    Prisoners is one of the most intense movies I have ever watched especially near the ending. I was on the edge of my seat the whole time with my heart racing also the whole time. I couldn't guess what was going to happen next which is why this movie was so thrilling. I am upset that this movie didn't win any Oscars as it is one of my favourites of last year and deserves Oscars. If it camePrisoners is one of the most intense movies I have ever watched especially near the ending. I was on the edge of my seat the whole time with my heart racing also the whole time. I couldn't guess what was going to happen next which is why this movie was so thrilling. I am upset that this movie didn't win any Oscars as it is one of my favourites of last year and deserves Oscars. If it came out during the Oscar movie season I am sure it would have had more consideration. Expand
  22. Apr 14, 2014
    I give it a 8.5 out of 10. The film is tense, the cinematography is outstanding, the pace is perfect to the point I can say the two hours and a half fly like it´s nothing, enjoyable from beginning to end, unpredictable when it comes to the fate of the characters, you are invested the whole time, you care about it, the acting is on point and pretty much perfect from absolutely everyone inI give it a 8.5 out of 10. The film is tense, the cinematography is outstanding, the pace is perfect to the point I can say the two hours and a half fly like it´s nothing, enjoyable from beginning to end, unpredictable when it comes to the fate of the characters, you are invested the whole time, you care about it, the acting is on point and pretty much perfect from absolutely everyone in the film, and I mean it, everybody and many more good things. The only thing I could say against it is that it definitely is not an innovative film, we have seen this type of story many times before. That´s why I´m not giving it my strong 9 out of 10, which is like the biggest score I usually give a film. But so damn good. In my top 10 films of 2013. Expand
  23. Apr 4, 2014
    a realistic thriller without police with i.q 150 where just looking at the crime scene already know who the suspect was.brilliant performances and photography near perfection.
  24. Apr 3, 2014
    PRISONERS (153 min): directed by Denis Villeneuve
    Posted by: Jessica Hinman
    While two families come together to celebrate the holiday dedicated to giving thanks, something very precious was taken from them, their daughters. The two girls intended to slip outside for just a few minutes, but to their family’s dismay, they never returned. The community all gathered and helped the two
    PRISONERS (153 min): directed by Denis Villeneuve
    Posted by: Jessica Hinman
    The two girls intended to slip outside for just a few minutes, but to their family’s dismay, they never returned. The community all gathered and helped the two families search for their daughters. As the scenes unravel, you begin to question the probability of a fairy tale ending.
    This heart stopping, twisted crime drama appeals to the young adult and older audience because of its use of language and violent scene content. The cast consists of Jake Gyllenhaal who plays Detective Loki, Paul Dano who plays the mentally disabled suspect Alex, Terrence Howard who plays the father of the Birch family, Viola Davis who starred in the “The Help” plays the wife of Franklin Birch, and Maria Bello is the wife of Keller Dover (Hugh Jackman). When the investigation doesn’t seem to be moving quickly enough, Dover decides to take matters into his own hands. The scenes that follow make you ask yourself, “Just how far would I go to find my child?” This incredible cast takes you on a journey of emotions: from fear, to anger, to horror, and finally drops you off at guilt.
    This 153 minute movie takes its time to build you up and make you think you know exactly what is happening. Then it throws you off a cliff and says “Gotcha!”
    Prisoners is one of the best films of the year! Four stars go to this stomach-wrenching film that captures every parent’s most dreaded nightmare of losing their child.
  25. Mar 31, 2014
    this movie is Absolute waste of time .. i am so sorry for mark Wahlberg ..this movie is so much worse than movie 43. i am glad that i did not waste my money and downloaded it for free
  26. Mar 28, 2014
    Hugh Jackman was what made me get this movie, and I don't regret it. It's an interesting thriller with good end to it, but at times predictable, visually interesting, and grabbed my attention to the end, I didn't feel bored for a minute. Hugh, despite anything negative, was at his best, he has definitely earned another medal for me, as well as Jake, which was surprising, he isn't one of myHugh Jackman was what made me get this movie, and I don't regret it. It's an interesting thriller with good end to it, but at times predictable, visually interesting, and grabbed my attention to the end, I didn't feel bored for a minute. Hugh, despite anything negative, was at his best, he has definitely earned another medal for me, as well as Jake, which was surprising, he isn't one of my favourites. So all in all I enjoyed the movie, it was definitely worth watching. Expand
  27. Mar 25, 2014
    i think hoolywood sometimes makes really good movies, some of them are making you feel nervous, sky, scared, and prisoners is one of the few movies that makes that, the acitng is amazing, the cinematograohy pfffff beautifull, but the most important thing is the script, its the best script i saw.
    BEST MOVIE EVER
  28. Mar 11, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. i watched this because i miss "true detective". thought it might have a similar vibe. wrong. it's tricked out schlock.. hugh jackman overacts loudly and badly, the red herrings pile up, and the absolute worst is that paul dano is tortured horrifically and, in the end, the film wants us to believe it'll all be ok for him in the end. ugh. avoid. Expand
  29. Feb 14, 2014
    This movie rating is too high .i'm tries too make it appropriate by give this score.
    i felt really disappointed because the plot of it much weaker than most of each TV series like Sherlock , Blacklist , mentalist , criminal mind.
    but i'm accepted only for the good performance of artiste. in my opinion this movie doesn't deserve good score because story is too bad, too common.
    but i'm accepted only for the good performance of artiste.
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Spoiler alert!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    especially the last scene is unacceptable it's too stupid Hugh Jackman die for nothing
  30. Feb 9, 2014
    This movie is terrible if you like your films to make a modicum of sense. It's truly an unbelievable mess which only angered me as I watched it to its ridiculous conclusion. The cast is great, the acting is good too I just wonder why no-one was screaming at the director and asking the simple question if everyone in this town is retarded or has an IQ below that of a chimp. Like others haveThis movie is terrible if you like your films to make a modicum of sense. It's truly an unbelievable mess which only angered me as I watched it to its ridiculous conclusion. The cast is great, the acting is good too I just wonder why no-one was screaming at the director and asking the simple question if everyone in this town is retarded or has an IQ below that of a chimp. Like others have said it is well shot and the music is suspenseful and the core of the story is really good, but the characters are a major let down and the script was weak. There are so many holes in this that the leaps the characters make, for this film to progress its story are truly ridiculous. This was no thriller, there was no suspense and seemed pretty obvious to me despite the lengths the writers went to as an attempt to confuse the audience. Its shallow nonsense that's all I can say. It does not deserve the score it currently has (8.1).

On the other hand if your the kind of person that believes that movies should have no real substance or that you don't understand what that means. Or your the kind of person who just wants to sit back let the movie play and wash over you while munching popcorn and having a conversation, then this film is excellent!

1. Reviewed by: Lou Lumenick
    Sep 30, 2013
    Is torture ever justifiable? A twisty, compelling, brilliantly acted (if sometimes difficult to watch) thriller, Prisoners, asks this question not in the usual contemporary context — anti-terrorism — but instead as a gruesome option deployed as a response to every parent’s worst nightmare.
  2. Reviewed by: Emma Dibdin
    Sep 25, 2013
    A simmering pressure cooker of a thriller, Prisoners is an unforgiving but emotionally rewarding experience sustained by powerhouse performances, taut scripting and Villeneuve’s tonally assured direction.
  3. Reviewed by: Marc Savlov
    Sep 25, 2013
    It's a veritable shoo-in for an Oscar nod this year, and one of the more disturbing films to come out of a major studio in ages.