5.9

1. Jul 31, 2014
    Many argue that the movie isn't about it's story or characters but about a supposedly "Epic" Party. Now first let me say: I was young once too and surely did some stuff I am not exactly proud of. And that is the point ! They may be funny stories but you are sure as heck not proud of them aside from a few exceptions maybe! This movie glorifies partying to such ridicoulous proportions that all of the people in the movie seem like complete morons and frankly just loathsome people. The entire thing is based around tree highschoolers no less, of which one "Costa" might just be one of the most annoying douchebags you've ever seen on film. This film is not how any "Epic" Party would be but how 14 year old kiddies imagine it: No limits, no consequences, no realism.
    Usually there is a point though where reality comes crashing in but not in this movie. I mean stuff happens but the film just ends and the three kiddos get "popular" without any repercussions.
    Why is that such an important deal in the first place? High School is over in a blink and then what are they going to do with their popularity? Work at Burger King? It's quite embarassing to watch really. Like when you overhear some kiddies arguing who drank the most beer last night fighting about it like it's actually a title worth having. Or when some teenager calls his friend a **** because he won't drink or stops drinking.
    Aside from that the movie objectifies women of course where the only purpose they have is to show their boobs and be sex-slaves to the men they all so much desire !
    One unintentionally frightening scene is when the police arrives and people start throwing bottles and it's like they are becoming a mob, a collective mind of douchebags not thinking about their actions! The movie makes it look like it's actually a cool thing. Right to Party my ass. You have every right to Party as long as you are not a selfish prick who puts his juvenile desires above any one elses. I almost burned your house down? Oh well, right to party I guess. Pretty Epic... right...
  2. Jun 28, 2014
    Project X is a ridiculous, pointless movie. A lot happens in this movie, but no laughs come from it. The likeliness of any of the events to take place is very low, that's kind of important for a found footage film that doesn't include and paranormal beings. It also has a very questionable message of it being okay the main character lost his entire college fund because he got **** for one night. To sum up Project X: This is a poor man's Superbad. A very poor man's Superbad. Expand
  3. Jun 22, 2014
    By the way, I'd like to give this movie a 6. However, Metacritic defines that score in movies as positive. I wanted to keep my opinion as mixed, so it had to be a 5. It's annoying. Let's get to the review, though. I honestly don't even know what to call Project X (PX). Is it a movie? A hidden message? An encourager? Regardless of what is defined as, it's not a very good movie. I went in my recordings to watch it expecting a comedy. While the film starts off like that, it's takes a different, disappointing turn later on, but we'll talk about that later. PX is actually a fairly good comedy starting off, even though the plot and dialogue were simple. The characters in this movie are mediocre, though. You most likely won't care about them. Then again, PX doesn't really try to be a real movie. It's not deep, and there's no way in hell it's getting any type of awards. It's just made for you to have fun. Judging it as a movie though, it's slightly good at best, and pitiful at worst. I went in expecting a real movie, too, which I probably shouldn't have done. Like I said, as a movie, it starts off fairly funny. Then it gets to the party. I can see it being entertaining with some of my friends over, but by myself, it got boring as it went on. Sure, you have some good laughs during the party, but all I was really seeing was just a bunch of old teens dancing, drinking, fighting, and all the other stuff you'd expect out of a party like this. I did like the third act when destruction hits and the whole neighborhood and party gets totally f*cked up. If you're going in PX expecting a stupid, fun flick, you're most likely going to be entertained. However, I regret the decision expecting I was gonna get an actual movie because the results weren't what I wanted. Expand
  4. Jun 22, 2014
    Project X is the kind of movie you should only watch once as it has absolutely no re-watch value. For the most part while movies based around parties have a somewhat story being told this movie has none its just about one massive party. While the partying may be cool for the first like 10-20 minutes the movie really starts to drags on in the middle and the multiple scenes of girls breast and ass wasn't enough to do anything im mean yeah sure it was nice but rather pointless. For it being a Found Footage film it wasn't as bad as it could have been as most the time im annoyed by these types of movies but i was a problem this time.

The story follows three loser kids in high school who decide to throw a massive party in hopes that it will later make them popular and that's it ensue the partying. The movie had a couple good moments but nothing outrageous i chuckled maybe a few times honestly it was kinda a let down. I think its hilarious that the movie was promoted as "The Party You've Only Dreamed About" because i have been to a rave which is pretty much the same thing and there was at least 3-5 thousand people all partying but that was in the forest and not a house, most people I've had at my house for a party was like 50 people but of course my house isn't that huge. The end does pick up with with how crazy the party gets and saves it from its tedious shot after shot of either **** ass, people drinking, and people hooking up.

Overall i give it a 5.0 Honestly my favorite characters were the security kids as they were the best part of the whole of the movie well other than the hot women.
  5. Apr 25, 2014
    An good movie, with good voice acting and good soundtrack. Very funy, non-so-originaly movie. Teenagers, high-school hot girls and aduts are on this movie.
  6. Mar 7, 2014
    The movie had a really good idea, but it didn't go anywhere... It was just long and unfunny and even boring at times. Yup, an epic party being boring! that's how you feel when you watch this movie.
  7. Dec 31, 2013
    Nima Nourizadeh, the director of Project X, has done with this film what Tarantino did with some of his movies: created a motion picture that he knew audiences would enjoy and didn't care about his critics. If you go into this movie with "Godfather-like standards", I'll call them, then of course you will hate it. But, if you see this movie just to have a good time on a Friday night with some of your buddies, I guarantee you will like this movie. Expand
  8. Dec 16, 2013
    All of my friends saw Project X when it was still on theaters and they praised it as "awesome", "best movie ever", "crazy" and many other good adjectives. There was even a party here on my hood that was based on that movie and managed to gather more than a thousand people on a public square. So, when I decided to watch it, I was expecting the movie to be something just "wow". But it really wasn't.
    I love "bad" movies like American Pie and The Hangover, and I'm not a "moralist", I'm a teen, an open minded teen that loves to party (but can't because lives with near fascist parents), so the problem is not on the movie being "perverted" or "meaningless". I love deep plots but there are times I just want to laugh, just want to go crazy. So, the problem is that the movie failed to be a "good crazy movie", and it, for 3 major reasons:

1. I laughed watching it. But a lot less than I laughed to American Pie series, Hangover series, and even less than I laugh when watching some random vlog. It is funny, but it doesn't have any outstanding character like Hangover's Chow, and doesn't have that many jokes or eccentric situations either.

2. It is very non-realistic. Honestly, at least where I live, the teenagers aren't that way. Really, most of teens doesn't even smoke weed, do you really think that EVERYONE on the party would take ecstasy pills? There are just 3 or 4 more "open-minded" people on my classroom, and only one which already used MDMA. I know that the movie wasn't made to be "realistic", but I was expecting it to be a "real-a-like" party which went crazy, and not a "fantasy" party. If the was supposed to be crazy and disconnected with reality, so they should put some unicorns and gnoms on it. Also, the girls aren't so "liberal". There is only ONE GIRL on the hood which has shown her at a party and she is judged by most of other girls.

3. The events on the movie are very poorly timed. Seriously. The movie don't show "why" the party gets so huge (it tries, but fails to show it), and you don't see the party growing. It's like that in 5 five minutes, everything goes magically from an ordinary teenage party to the party of human history.

However, the movie has some good points. I talked a lot about the failures, because I was very hyped to see it, and it didn't satisfy all the hype. Anyway, it's very audacious, very. It says the morality". Definitely on a generic and cheap way, but it says. Even the party don't having much to do with real parties, it really shows the way most teens think. In a more dramatic way, obviously. But c'mon... It retracts the your religion" way of thinking.

The movie also have many hot actresses and boobs, a crazy part when the streets go on fire, and things like that, that make the movie "good for teens". It have some cliche (on the ending of love story), but it is a worth seeing movie. It's definitely better than staying for two hours without doing anything, or talking with friends on the PC or some boring ****.

So, it's not a 10/10 movie, but is not a 0/10. I gave it a 6 for what it represent and for its funny moments. That's it.
  9. Aug 19, 2013
    Project X is the part film of the decade. It is as simple as that, a party which crashes out of control for Thomas’ birthday winds up being major trouble for the neighbours and Thomas himself. Project X is filmed as a found footage party film, which I thought was interesting because it’s never really a comedy that has found footage, obviously it’s usually horrors like The Blair Witch Project and Paranormal Activity. So this idea of having a party which gets completely out of hand as found footage really interested me.

Project X delivers the usual genre conventions of a party film, nudity, strong language and underage drinking and even delivers that one bloke who seems to be out-of-place at the party (the character which always turns out to be the funniest). I enjoyed the realism of the film in the aspect that this could happen, perhaps not to the extent which it does in the film but huge parties which get completely out of hand do happen, which I enjoyed.

I thought acting wise the cast were good for this sort of film, as far as I know they are fairly newcomers to acting to which personally for me made it better as the film relies on its impact of realism (hence found footage), if you had a big Hollywood actor playing Thomas the film would lose the believe-ability which it has.

I thoroughly enjoyed the filming character, Dax. Although he didn’t have any real screen time because he was holding the camera I thought his character was hilarious. Project X which could have a sequel in the works could be alright but I can’t see how they can really do anything else because at least a quarter of the film is Thomas worrying about his parents finding out, so a sequel would probably just be a rehash and could wind up being dull, so no I don’t want the Project X sequel which was announced to being ‘pursued’ shortly after the films release last year.

Project X takes party movies to the next level with its use of talk shows and the found footage of all the party action mashed together works really well and delivers new life to what is becoming a clichéd genre. Project X is its own thing which makes it that much better.

If you haven’t seen Project X and you’re into teen party movies then go check it out, you won’t be disappointed. No this film isn't going to be a life changing movie but it is still thoroughly enjoyable.
  10. Aug 8, 2013
    I finally got to watch this today, and I don't regret a second of any of it. It felt like I came from the greatest party in history. Sure, it's a bit more... "hardcore" than any other party movie I've seen. If they were going for that, then they succeeded. I would say this is something to watch with friends, NOT your parents! Lol.

And to all the really negative critics, I noticed a
    pattern among all of them :they're trying to compare this movie to movies that take themselves seriously. It's like comparing an orange to an 8oz steak: OF COURSE it's going to be different from what you expected! It's for a very specific audience teenagers. And I bet that 99% of the 1's or 0's are middle aged farts who don't know what we kids like now-a-days.

I'm not saying this compares to the Titanic or anything, but for this generation, it is a good watch to just have fun. Fun, fun fun.
  11. Jul 27, 2013
    I don't know what to say about Project X. Did it have a plot? No, but it didn't need one. Did it have any type of character development? No, but it didn't need it. This film feels like a documentary and an actual movie all at one time. It truly is an experience. The lighting is well done, the editing is snappy, the soundtrack is nothing short of epic, and the pure amount of extra participation is unprecedented. However, this movie is an absolute nightmare for anyone that is host to parties. I had anxiety from the start of the party to the moment the credits rolled. The only major problem with the film is the almost complete disregard for consequences. Putting text at the end will not discourage an over zealous viewer from throwing their own Project X. Even the father completely disregards his sons blatant disregard for authority. With all that being said I rate this right in the middle of the sliding scale. It is good, don't get me wrong, but it's not really a movie. It's an experience. Expand
  12. Jul 16, 2013
    Not hilarious and not the best movie ever but still a good watch for anyone who enjoys films like 'the hangover' or 'Superbad'. It goes into the mind of a teenage boy and is quite accurate with what their life circulates around at that age. But it over exaggerates it and everything goes out of control at the party.
  13. Jun 11, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. An original comedy which results to be bad. I liked the end because it is realistic despite all the comedies nowadays. I expected more and i was kind of dissapointed Expand
  14. May 31, 2013
    Probably one of my most favourite movies of all time. There are 2 types of movies: the "good" movies like The Godfather, The Shawshank Redemption and Pulp Fiction and there are also the "fun" movies like Project X, The Hangover, Jackass etc. Most of the "fun" movies however are bad, but Project X is one of those films that if you are a teen like me, you will find incredibly entertaining. You will also want to watch it again. And again. And again. Expand
  15. Mar 20, 2013
    I can honestly say that this was one of the most enjoyable films of the year. No, theres no real plot. Heres the story: 3 High School friends try to throw the best party ever and it soon becomes out of control and too much to handle. Surprisingly they made a good film. I put this movie personally on the TV while my brother and his 5 friends were in the room just to see what happens. When they first saw the nome scene they tuned in for the whole film. And let me tell you white kids know how to party. This is a must see if you like out of control films. And I hear some of you no real plot but hey I and anyone that I know who saw it enjoyed it very much. Must Watch. One more thing. They called for all the actors/background actors through the internet and I must say they actually acted pretty good and pretty funny. Expand
  16. Mar 3, 2013
    How is this considered a comedy? Did anyone actually take the time to write any jokes? Nope, just got attractive women, told them to take their shirts off and pretend to be at the most unrealistic party ever. Anyone out there saying it reminds them of their party days are just lying. This stuff doesn't happen.
  17. Feb 8, 2013
    Everyone who gave this a bad review seems to be some stupid old fart, well get over it, you not a teenager any more and this film isnt made for you, so why would you watch it, let alone give it a bad review, move on
  18. Jan 23, 2013
    A very original and funny movie!
  19. Jan 17, 2013
    This film is simply abysmal. I don't see how anyone could find it funny; firstly, it is fille with losers who curse every 2 seconds - boring. Furthermore, the camerawork is appalling. I know it's done for effect but it really is terrible. What a waste of time, do not see this tripe.
  20. Jan 12, 2013
    O.k. So three complete morons through a "party", which apparently in some suburban neighborhoods is roughly equivalent to a barbarian raiding. In the process of "partying" they destroy one their parent's houses, part of their neighborhood, started several dozen fires, destroyed their car, and likely killed one or more people. In the end, one ends up riding the "short bus" to school after being declared "mentally deficient" to avoid prosecution, one had nothing happen to him but has several paternity suits filed against him, and one got a few months. The one with several paternity suits brags about "his next 'party'" on national television. So the moral of the story: destroy, rape, pillage, murder, no one else's lives matter, so long as you have fun and in the end everything will be okay. Ultimately, the only way this vaunt through sociopathy could have been construed as a comedy would have been if it ended in a Tarantino-style battle royal which left everyone of the psychotic main characters laying dead in a pool of their own blood. That didn't happen, this wasn't funny. Expand
  21. Dec 31, 2012
    Absolutely terrible. Not funny in the least. If this movie reminds you of your childhood then you had a **** childhood devoid of compassion and any sense of human decency.
  22. Dec 30, 2012
    I like the movie, as every teenager. I think it's funny and it shows reality in some of its moments. I think that people, after watching this film, can notice the effects of alcohol, drugs, sex and parties. But on the other hand, many people can take this "party" as a thing they want to do. That's to say: alcohol, naked girls, sex, drugs. Exagerating, they can end at a police-station. In general lines, the movie is good, and I like watching it, because everytime I find something different. 9 out of 10 marks for Project X. Expand
  23. Dec 18, 2012
    Could have been much, much crazier. I'm only giving it 4 marks because few of the scenes were stupid and they shouldn't have been included and vice versa and also because Oliver Cooper a.k.a Costa really tried to imitate Jonah Hill and that seems unoriginal and flop. When it comes to teenage parties and stuff, Jonah is the only person that comes on my mind because he really knows how to party.
  24. Dec 2, 2012
    This is a little late to be reviewing right now, but this movie sucked. The type of movie like this was perfected by superbad, and the producer Todd Phillips perfected comedy movies with The Hangover saga and Old School, but not this one. This movie is 88 minutes of junk and garbage. Not funny at all, unlike the movies i mentioned (Even Hangover: pt 2).
  25. Nov 29, 2012
    This movie was absolutely epic. It's tough to describe it in any other way. It wasn't all that funny which is what I was hoping for but it was intense. The acting was pretty solid and the sequences were absolutely over the top. Like I said, it could've been funnier and there could've been a little more plot and a little less "highlights" but it was still totally worth watching. Obviously this movie isn't for everyone. It's raunchy, immature, and graphic but it hits its targeted audience on point. Expand
  26. Nov 5, 2012
    The shenanigans of the teens at times made me smile, and even that was rare, but let's face it, Project X is more of a failed reality show pilot than a film.
  27. Oct 30, 2012
    Let me start by saying this is one of the funniest films i have seen in a long time, it brings in a real aspect of life because these kind of crazy parties happen all the time... The fact that these are nerdy kids make it ironic that they pull off such a crazy part. In a way i think of it as a feel good film and it makes you think that nothing is impossible and that don't waste your life being boring have fun.
    Good humor
    Good-ish acting Brilliant Characters Hot chicks (always a bonus) One of the top comedies of the year!!
  28. Sep 19, 2012
    This movie sucked, it was just horrible the cast sucked, it wasn't believe able, it wasn't funny and the dialogue was just the worst. it was probably the worst movie of all time.
  29. Sep 17, 2012
    Project X is every teens wet dream. Enjoy viewing experience with your college dudes, and you'll be notice the unlimited high-school **** Till the break down, yo!

1. Reviewed by: Melissa Anderson
    Mar 3, 2012
    "There's a midget in the oven!" is about as inspired as the dialogue and set pieces get in this queasy-making entertainment.
  2. Reviewed by: James Berardinelli
    Mar 3, 2012
    Project X's first-person verisimilitude is the movie's primary strength and most damning weakness.
  3. Reviewed by: Peter Travers
    Mar 2, 2012
    Most teen flicks just fake being fueled by anarchy. But the gut-bustingly funny Project X is the real deal. It's raunchy, reckless and ready to party. What's not to like?