4.3

1. KeenanS
    Jun 15, 2009
    This is the slasher genre at its worst. Prom Night is an incompetent, boring, unscary, not gory, and downright awful horror/thriller. The only enjoyable moments was when the stupid teens get killed and the music is not so bad like everything else. The only people who will enjoy this film are girls who don't like horror films in general, but will be pleased to learn about this toned This is the slasher genre at its worst. Prom Night is an incompetent, boring, unscary, not gory, and downright awful horror/thriller. The only enjoyable moments was when the stupid teens get killed and the music is not so bad like everything else. The only people who will enjoy this film are girls who don't like horror films in general, but will be pleased to learn about this toned down affront to decency. Want a good teen slasher? Watch the Scream films, they're way better than this crap. Expand
  2. Nov 19, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Degrades from a terrible mess to a terrible, useless pile of complete and utter dog poo where the most beautiful, most promising woman dies first, a 30-year-old madman kills a dozen people without so much as breaking a sweat, and the lead spends half the movie under a bed. Half an hour in, youâ Expand
  3. WilsonG.
    May 5, 2008
    The movie was extremely predictable and the acting was pretty bad. Theres no real reason to see this movie.
  4. GabrielleG
    Jan 30, 2009
    dude this was horrible who ever gave it a 10 you obviously have never seen the good slasher flicks. cheesy acting dumb bimbos! this is a shame to slasher flicks. i bet the person who voted 10 just thought the chick was hot. whatever i agree with the other person AVOID this sad excuse of a slasher flick!
  5. NikeshP
    Jul 7, 2009
    It gets 1 because of all the immature jokes that you can make with some friends. But the film is filled with stupid decisions ( Why doesn't the black girl get off at the first floor instead of going into the basement?). Skip it.
  6. TPratt
    Apr 11, 2008
    Horrible movie. The characters seemed to have been written to be stupid. The "Hero Cop" is the worst of the bunch. I know its supposed to be a slasher movie, but come on if you are not going to show blood or gore at least have one intelligent character.
  7. Ry
    Apr 13, 2008
    I would ask for my money back, but dammit I did it to myself....You know Pulp Fiction....Now think of the exact opposite. Thats this movie.
  8. DavidL.
    Sep 20, 2008
    I cant believe there are that many 9's and 10's user ratings this movie? This movie is utterly garbage. Slow to start, just enough to keep you watching to the end.. but only just. Cheesy acting and script. Unimaginative and the ending was just poor. No surprises or anything to make you think. AVOID this movie!
  9. JewstonS.
    Nov 18, 2008
    If you can produce the biggest set of balls in the world, then this movie would have no problem sucking them.
  10. ChadS.
    Apr 13, 2008
    PG-13 rating notwithstanding, the sadism is still there, as "Prom Night" trades bloody murders for emotional violence. The film eviscerates its leading lady. Donna Keppel(Brittany Snow) lost her family, and then she lost her bearings. The girl takes Klonopin for anxiety. And now, since "Prom Night" kills off the people most important to Donna, she's going to lose her marbles, all PG-13 rating notwithstanding, the sadism is still there, as "Prom Night" trades bloody murders for emotional violence. The film eviscerates its leading lady. Donna Keppel(Brittany Snow) lost her family, and then she lost her bearings. The girl takes Klonopin for anxiety. And now, since "Prom Night" kills off the people most important to Donna, she's going to lose her marbles, all done in good taste, which makes this exercise in misogyny doubly reprehensible. If Donna was her guardians' real daughter, they would readily assume that her romantically-obsessed high school teacher was headed for their town. Since she's only a niece, Donna's uncle advises his wife to not jump to any conclusions. Good call. Of course he's coming for Donna. That's what stalkers do. The other good call? Returning to the place where the stalker would most likely find her. Home. PG-13 rating notwithstanding, the sex is still there, as "Prom Night" trades bared breasts for spectacular cleavage. Expand
  11. BobB.
    Apr 21, 2008
    Lack of excitement. No suspense or blood. It wouldn't of even made my 2 year old cousin scared. Her name is bob.
  12. AndrewS.
    May 25, 2008
    I saw this movie with some friends. Quite frankly it was rubbish. Me and my mate were laughing throughout the whole movie at the utterly predictable plot line.
  13. DarrenA.
    Apr 12, 2008
    [***SPOILERS***] There's nothing really to complain about...well there is but I'm only going to strike a few things on the head. This movie is SO predictable it made me sick!!! There's nothing to support the plot, there's hardly even plot at all...and the characters are just paper, two dimensional idiots that everone hates, except for the black guy who lost his[***SPOILERS***] There's nothing really to complain about...well there is but I'm only going to strike a few things on the head. This movie is SO predictable it made me sick!!! There's nothing to support the plot, there's hardly even plot at all...and the characters are just paper, two dimensional idiots that everone hates, except for the black guy who lost his girlfriend, you actually felt for him!!! But other than the black guy you just wanted everyone else to die so the movie would end quicker...all the small subplots thrown in, the girl going off to college and leaving her boyfriend, the black dude going to ask that girl to marry him...were all thrown away since each were introduced just five minutes before those that were involved were killed!!! I don't know about the preps and the little girls, but I thought this movie was just bad...I'm a guy, I'm a horror fan, and this is NOT horror...and just like James Berardinelli said..."it's basically 'the o.c.' with a body count"!!! A true waste of such a diversion from the original Prom Night...if only it would have been R rated!!! Expand
  14. RyanZ.
    Apr 14, 2008
    Oh geez, where to start. I didn't go into this movie with very high expectations. The original was kinda dumb, as stated in the professional reviews, but this movie... oh, this movie was something else. There was very little suspense, even the 'jump-out' style shocks that I usually think are stupid were easily seen beforehand, like when the killer that you already just KNOW Oh geez, where to start. I didn't go into this movie with very high expectations. The original was kinda dumb, as stated in the professional reviews, but this movie... oh, this movie was something else. There was very little suspense, even the 'jump-out' style shocks that I usually think are stupid were easily seen beforehand, like when the killer that you already just KNOW is going to jump out of the closet shows his face and stares at the character a bit before striking. Oh, and speaking of the killer, what was it that he taught in high school again? Ninjitsu? With the way he could walk behind someone one second and magically appear seven feet off to their side AND behind a door without making a sound, it sure seemed like it. Expand
  15. TommyF.
    Apr 14, 2008
    The best bedtime movie.
  16. ElkayS.
    Apr 17, 2008
    This POS gets a 1 only because mid-way through, my brother told me to start watching it as if it were an episode of "South Park." (The constant discovery of dead bodies by Idris Elba's character is classic South Park) That is the only thing that saved me from taking the proverbial razor blade to my wrist and bleeding all over the already ruby red velvet seats in the Cinerama Dome.
  17. TK
    May 17, 2009
    This was movie was more predictable then the sunrise. The movies story line at times just made absolutely no logical sense. The twists that are attempted to be made are made happen by unbelievable scenarios. You can hold off on seeing this one.
  18. BoH.
    Dec 21, 2008
    Rated 1, because all the annoying teens get killed. need i say more? oh, and dont make PG-13 "horror" movies. please. for us all.
  19. Sep 11, 2010
    You call this a horror? I'm not terrified. A cheesy teen movie. I do more adore Final Destination than this movie it's less effective movie for me. It's less horrifying. I hope there was much horror. BOO! on Brittany's act!
  20. Dec 21, 2011
    Wow. I've seen a lot of slasher flicks, and I am not exaggerating when I say that this is the worst slasher flick I have ever seen, hands-down, bar none. There are so many critically bad things about it that the movie is doomed from the start. One: The villain is a totally not-scary nobody whose motivation boils down to "I'm a psychopath with an ex I want back so I'm going to kill everyoneWow. I've seen a lot of slasher flicks, and I am not exaggerating when I say that this is the worst slasher flick I have ever seen, hands-down, bar none. There are so many critically bad things about it that the movie is doomed from the start. One: The villain is a totally not-scary nobody whose motivation boils down to "I'm a psychopath with an ex I want back so I'm going to kill everyone even remotely connected to her." That's it. That's all you get about him. Not one detail is ever added. The character himself is useless, far from clever, and does nothing except stab people when they're alone, all practically identically, and often in dark rooms. How exciting. Two: Look, I know the police have to be somewhat incompetent in slasher films, or almost any film, so the bad guys at least look like they have a chance. I get that. Police procedure is invariably thrown out the window in films like this. But there's a certain line when incompetence reaches full-on idiocy to level 11. The police in this film somehow decide it's best to not let the main target of her homicidal stalker know she's being targeted, nor anyone else at the prom, because they're trying to be nice and think they can stop the guy without her knowing, thus letting her have a great prom night without knowing *THERE'S A HOMICIDAL PSYCHOPATH HUNTING HER AND HER FRIENDS*. This is while he's upstairs killing hotel staff, by the way. While the police are busy talking about nothing, our villain is literally just walking around and stabbing anyone he comes into contact with. I mean, I'm not a cop, but I think it might be smart to at least keep an eye on his main target and the room she's staying in...Nah, forget that, let's just let him roam free and wait until 90 minutes are up. Police procedure is not only ignored, but burned alive at the stake as the police do stunningly stupid things repeatedly with totally warped logic, and also unbelievable disregard for effective protect-the-target procedure. They don't even try, even when they know for a fact he's on his way for her. They actually let her stay alone in her room with *one* police car outside. In the real world, if there's domestic violence, you get about a dozen cops at one time. If it's a homicide, you get every policeman within thirty miles covering the town and its exits. Finally, in a twist that's the least surprising of any movie ever, the killer doesn't wait for them to do...whatever it is they're doing, and starts killing almost everyone, including armed police, without a single instance of being threatened until the natural conclusion, when he simply...well, it's not like it matters, but let's just say it's not exactly epic, and the movie just ends. Also, the only weapon he ever uses is a pocket knife. There are drug dealers in suburbs more armed than this guy, and probably just as clever. Three: Every single thing you need to know about the plot, the killer, the victim, the characters, the motivation, and even the plan of the killer, is all revealed in the first ten minutes of the film. I don't know about you, but I kind of like suspense in my slashers. Character development is also a plus, as is the occasional mysterious motive or some kind of added story element that turns things around a little bit to mean something new. This film doesn't even bother with that. Not one thing changes from the first ten minutes on, and we are literally watching things play out *exactly as the introduction says it will*. You might be better off skipping the first ten minutes or so so it doesn't spoil itself for you. There are no surprises to speak of. Four: The PG-13 rating (which, by the way, isn't helped in the unrated) makes it so anyone out for blood spurting is out of luck. There's almost no blood at all in any of the killings, and the PG-13 limit of violence isn't even pushed. Five: I might be crazy, but if there's multiple bodies, a homicidal maniac, and police officers dead, all while this guy is clearly looking for his main target, why do they not have her surrounded by officers with automatic weapons at all times, rather than letting her sit in her room for him to simply walk into--which is exactly what he does? It's as if everyone's trying to get stabbed to death here by a villain that is impossible to be frightened of, being no smarter or well-armed than a coke peddler. He's just a guy with a knife, and no more. So we've got a film here that does not work on any level whatsoever. It's so incredibly stupid and bloodless, there is literally no reason to watch this film, unless you just want to appreciate your copy of Swimfan more. Possibly the least entertaining slasher in the last decade. Collapse
  21. Aug 27, 2011
    So bad it's good, but not good enough to watch it. It's a good first date movie, when you're seeing someone so amazing you know you won't be able to focus on the movie.
  22. Dec 26, 2011
    This film was easily one of the trashiest horror films I have ever see. I hated it and I wouldnt recommend this to anyone. The acting was average (at best) and it didnt hold an ounce of suspense at all. It was just plain awful.
  23. Feb 26, 2012
    Slasher films are so named for their propensity to having characters slashed. Well, apparently Prom Night didn't receive that particular memo, or perhaps it misunderstood its meaning, as all it does is slash your time. It pisses in the proverbial cornflakes of the genre, and makes sure to push just hard enough so that it splashes back on to the audience. Idris Elba is the only convincingSlasher films are so named for their propensity to having characters slashed. Well, apparently Prom Night didn't receive that particular memo, or perhaps it misunderstood its meaning, as all it does is slash your time. It pisses in the proverbial cornflakes of the genre, and makes sure to push just hard enough so that it splashes back on to the audience. Idris Elba is the only convincing actor here, but he is placed in such a boring, ass-munching good-guy role that his talents are effectively nullified. Scene after scene the film drags its weak back story and character side plots, desperately urging you to give even half a damn about the supposed 'high school students' (who all have an inexplicable fixation with looking into cupboards). Hell, the majority of the bloodless, choppily-edited kills don't even have a thing to do with the plot, and sometimes seem inconvenient and incongruent to the killer's motive! The film also reaches as far as it can into the barrel of senior year cliches, setting up future events that only the most dedicated of viewers would want to waste valuable killing time listening to. This is a tame piece of cinematic **** that would surely only appeal to those that find the very idea of horror horrifying. Expand
  24. Oct 3, 2013
    The introduction was good but everything after that just went down hill. Very predictable and poorly acted as well. Let's not forget the piss poor plot as well. Not worth wasting your time on.
  25. Sep 9, 2012
    Bloody awful 'remake' of the incredible 1980 classic horror film. No scares, no compelling characters. What teens go to their prom in limos to a luxurious building? Dreadful acting, and the killer is laughable.
  26. Apr 13, 2013
    Not scary in the slightest and not gory in the slightest. What happened!!!!!!!!!! This could have been horror gold but it was a horrible bore!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The characters are stooped and the plot is stooped. Other than the good soundtrack and the occasional entertaining moments, what good can I say? All this movie is is one teen goes missing, another teen goes looking for them and getsNot scary in the slightest and not gory in the slightest. What happened!!!!!!!!!! This could have been horror gold but it was a horrible bore!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The characters are stooped and the plot is stooped. Other than the good soundtrack and the occasional entertaining moments, what good can I say? All this movie is is one teen goes missing, another teen goes looking for them and gets killed. Another teen goes missing, and another one goes looking for them and gets killed. That's the whole plot. It didn't have to be below decent standards but I guess the producers will throw anything together for money these days. Bummer. Expand
  27. Jul 6, 2014
    Worst Unnecessary Remakes I Seen In My Life ,Psycho (1998). Carrie (2013). Planet Of The Apes (2001). The Fog (2005). A Nightmare On Elm Street (2010). Prom Night (2008). The Day The Earth Stood Still (2008). Flubber (1997). The Stepfather (2009). Clash Of The Titans (2010). The Wicker Man (2006)

Overwhelming dislike - based on 12 Critics

Despite having the same title and a similar premise to a 1980 Jamie Lee Curtis flick (kids getting slaughtered on prom night), this is NOT a remake. In fact, it really doesn't have much of a plot. It's basically "The O.C." with a body count.
  2. Reviewed by: Joe Leydon
    A surprisingly effective teen-skewing thriller that soft-pedals graphic violence (in marked contrast to the R-rated 1980 original) while generating a fair degree of suspense.
    Formulaic to the core, this reworking of the fondly remembered high-school slasher picture works surprisingly well on its own terms.