6.5

1. Jan 20, 2013
    What a total let-down. This made absolutely no sense, and all of these so-called scientists acted like ignorant frightened school kids. There are numerous scientific errors and such impossible outcomes (running after major surgery). This was yet another cynical grab for cash from the Alien franchise - Ridley Scott is a brilliant director but he must feel embarrassed about this lameWhat a total let-down. This made absolutely no sense, and all of these so-called scientists acted like ignorant frightened school kids. There are numerous scientific errors and such impossible outcomes (running after major surgery). This was yet another cynical grab for cash from the Alien franchise - Ridley Scott is a brilliant director but he must feel embarrassed about this lame crock. Some major logic gaps and very poor characterisation. Watching it on DVD only makes it worse. Expand
  2. Mar 20, 2013
    If you manage to suspend your belief through a series of insane plot-holes and character missteps, you'll get to see some very pretty special effects.
  3. Apr 7, 2013
    Ridley Scott had a bar that was set very high for this semi-prequel to
    Alien. Scott does not disappoint. The result was a sweeping epic with
    fantastic visuals and an unexpected homage to the sci-fi genre. For the discerning eye, there were scenes that were reminiscent of Star Wars, Star Trek, 2001 A Space Odyssey, Aliens, X-Files, The Thing, and probably a few more I didn't catch.
    Ridley Scott had a bar that was set very high for this semi-prequel to
    Alien. Scott does not disappoint. The result was a sweeping epic with
    fantastic visuals and an unexpected homage to the sci-fi genre.

For the discerning eye, there were scenes that were reminiscent of Star
    Wars, Star Trek, 2001 A Space Odyssey, Aliens, X-Files, The Thing,
    and probably a few more I didn't catch. The very first scene was
    surprising and thought provoking, and the last scene was the closest
    connection to Alien the movie presented, beyond the iconic images
    already shown in the previews.

A very long but never boring adventure, it showcased the great acting
    talents of Noomi Rapace of the original Swedish "Dragon Tattoo" trilogy
    and Michael Fassbender, the best android of the Alien films. Charlene
    Theron continues to amaze as the best "ice queen" in movies today.

The film isn't perfect. It stretches the bounds of believability in
    several areas. Why do two of the "scientists" freak out when seeing an
    "alien" corpse but have no problem confronting the live "thing" that
    would make most of us run for cover?

Noomi Rapace has a scene that shows she can portray pain-in-action as
    good as Bruce Willis in Die Hard, but then has action sequences that
    suspend disbelief more than Willis running on tattered feet.

You don't get the slow-paced, dread and suspense of the original Alien
    or Blade Runner. This has way more action, gore and crowd-pleasing
    scenes. But it is nonetheless a film that will become a most-see films
    for genre fans.
  4. Sep 26, 2013
    I write this perfect-scored review knowing that it probably won't mean anything amongst the massively divided sea of critical opinion but I feel I must share my truly honest opinion. I have been a hardcore Alien fan for ages, as well as a serious devotee to Ridley Scott, so needless to say I was one of the countless swept up in the hype-hurricane surrounding this films development.
    I
    I guess what sets me apart from most is that I witnessed a film that actually exceeded my pipe-dream level expectations.
    I'll admit that I was skeptical if ANY film could potentially rival the utter brilliance of the 1979 masterpiece. What I was not prepared for was a film that not only did the original perfect justice but proved that it could be redefined.
  5. Jun 10, 2012
    I am a fan of the Alien films, but this movie is based on the old plot that gives sci-fi movies a bad name: Take a group of insane misaligned people, that no intelligent being would choose to go far away on a possibly dangerous mission, and watch them react their own misery against each other - they will break apart even without any alien help!
    And while the good old aliens was
    And while the good old aliens was understandable as a natural predator that simply does what a predator does, there is no understanding given to something that should be an intelligent species, but reacts like just another wounded animal.
    In short: It is all very beautifully made, and has a new cool female lead role, but the story has been told too many times before without giving any new twists. But as a fan of Alien, you of course still need to see it, just to see the old spacecraft again :-)
  6. Jun 9, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Simple Phenomenal. I have been waiting for this movie for a loong time. I avoided all trailers and clips so I don't spoil anything from this movie made by one of my best directors Ridley Scott. People probably expected more mostly because they ruined most of it by doing what I didn't do. The problem is that people don't know that there's going to be a sequel called, "Paradise". The other is that people don't like to think and use there brain on what happened and why? It has to be the first movie in along time that actually made me talk about all the theories of it. I have my own theories but I'll explain it later. I have to say this has to be on of the best Sci-Fi movies I have seen since Sunshine. Sci-fi movies are not popular in the movie industry because no one wants to understand it. I love it. I will keep it short. The creators(space Jockeys) came to earth to create us. Then use as a weapon to probably fight a war or invasion that they are involved in. Something goes wrong with there experiment and they have to eliminate some of there own and try to escape. When the crew arrives at there world which is not LV 426 from the alien movie the human crew enters a closed quarters and some worms appear from the soil that evolve later on from the contents of the canisters. The space jockey ship in this movie is not the one that crash landed on LV 426 because Weyland industries knew the location of this world so they would have sent more people to this planet again. Plus the crew from the Nostromo would have bumped into the canisters if this was that ship which its not. If you watch Alien even the planet and system they enter is completely different.

I think the sequel will shine on all these questions which I can't wait. Think about this.
  7. Jun 8, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie is a big letdown. It doesn't even come close to meeting the huge amount of hype it gathered. There are some really good aspects to the movie like the seamless CGI and great music and camera work but the writing brings everything way down hard like an Anchor, and I expected more from the team.Big rant coming but some very valid points so bear with me.Also full spoilers.

The whole expedition is ruined from the get go because they admit it cost them a trillion dollars (Stupid summation of money) to go to that moon and it was all because 2 scientists had a hunch there was life there and because a superstitious guy with a crap load of money funded the trip. Seemed a bit drastic for a hunch don't ya think? Also they arrived at the planet and started explaining what the atmosphere was like and how the planet looked yet modern science shows that we don't go near other planets before knowing what they're made up of or look like. Wouldn't they have sent drones in to test out the place first and not just blindly travel there?

There were two other scientists with the team, a geologist and a biologist but those two guys felt like canon fodder of sorts. They were there to be killed and nothing more. One guy was a biologist yet he never showed any interest when they found other signs life had existed there. You'd think a person who studies lifeforms and organic matter would be incredibly interested in life on another planet, especially one that looked identical to humans almost but when a little snake thing popped up he called it beautiful.The geologist was on a planet that had lots of caverns and valleys silimar to earth's, yet he acted like a marine instead of a geologist and showed a great amount of hostility towards shaw for almost nothing.

The david character seemed cool at first but started to crack at the seams once he talked more. Especially one line that bugged me "Want? a concept i'm not familiar with. But doesn't everyonewanttheir parents dead?" totally contradicting the fact that everyone constantly says he has no emotions. And he suddenly understood everything about the aliens only through studying human history and languages for 2 years, seemed a bit stupid.

One last thing, why did the map they found point them to that moon of all places when that moon was just a base where the aliens were working on weapons of mass destruction and were on their way to Earth anyway to destroy all the humans. Why point them there and not to their homeworld?

The whole movie was full of cliches too like the captian going down with the ship etc. Shaw having 30 seconds of oxygen and then suddenly it lasts for 30 mins. I dunno, I'm being a bit picky I know but some of these are glaring holes in the whole narrative and it brought me out of the immersion and I was sitting there thinking "This is really stupid"
  8. Jun 8, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A visual panoramic sci-fi feast that sets the "WTF?" stage of ALIENS. Yes, the crew is strangely similar to the Nostromo crew, and yes, it does raise a lot of questions that don't get answered... but this is a classic issue with sci-fi. Ask and answer? People aren't happy with the answers. Ask and don't answer? People hate not getting the answers. So, here are a couple of life lesson answers to take with you into the next century. 1. It's never a wise idea to tease an android. Even if they tell you they aren't programmed for rage? Be nice. Second, if you come across a room full of alien objects dribbling goo? Don't stick your fingers in it, slime it around and give it a sniff. I wouldn't do that today in a neighborhood garage. On an alien planet? Are you nuts? Seriously, have we not learned these lesson by 2089? Expand
  9. Jun 11, 2012
    I normally don't give out a perfect 10 but this movie deserves even more than that. I was a little upset when i (SPOILER ALERT) heard that no actual franchised "Alien" would be in it, but what they did was even better than i could have ever expected. It's great to get a true director like Scott back in the directors chair. My body was actually getting sore from being in an intense state. II normally don't give out a perfect 10 but this movie deserves even more than that. I was a little upset when i (SPOILER ALERT) heard that no actual franchised "Alien" would be in it, but what they did was even better than i could have ever expected. It's great to get a true director like Scott back in the directors chair. My body was actually getting sore from being in an intense state. I loved every single second of the movie and i can't wait to see it again. If you want to spend 2 hours in absolute intensity then go see Prometheus! Expand
  10. Jun 10, 2012
    The movie cannot live up to hype. It is asinine, imbecilic, z-grade, cut-rate schlock. It's the SPECIES of our era. A groaner of a dud of a flop.
  11. Jun 10, 2012
    Some nice visuals and lots of symbolism, but the basic delivery of the plot is terrible. Characters act like complete idiots without any regard for even the most basic safety procedures (or even concepts) and the plot is driven more by their idiocy than anything else. Fails to even address the concept of the movie or the questions raised by that concept, instead opting to focus on a bunchSome nice visuals and lots of symbolism, but the basic delivery of the plot is terrible. Characters act like complete idiots without any regard for even the most basic safety procedures (or even concepts) and the plot is driven more by their idiocy than anything else. Fails to even address the concept of the movie or the questions raised by that concept, instead opting to focus on a bunch of stupid people doing stupid things. Honestly at times it feels like a grindhouse slasher flick. Unrewarding, unentertaining and intellectually shallow. You can derive some enjoyment from the interpretation of symbolism and the stunning visuals, but this does little to make up for the very poor delivery of the narrative. Expand
  12. Jun 10, 2012
    Let's get this out of the way: Prometheus is not Alien. It's a very different beast. It's a movie with big ideas, big questions and big mysteries. The weakest aspects of the film are its poorly developed characters and some perplexing story beats. However, it features some gorgeous cinematography, good performances (including a brilliant turn by Fassbender as the android, David) and theLet's get this out of the way: Prometheus is not Alien. It's a very different beast. It's a movie with big ideas, big questions and big mysteries. The weakest aspects of the film are its poorly developed characters and some perplexing story beats. However, it features some gorgeous cinematography, good performances (including a brilliant turn by Fassbender as the android, David) and the courage to pose questions without spoon-feeding the audience all the answers. Prometheus is not Alien... and that's not a bad thing. Expand
  13. Jun 8, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Starting with the positives - the movie looks great and at points has a distinct feel to it, which is rare for movies these days.

However, overall the movie is simply too bloated. Scenes seem to be shoehorned in for no reason and at points it seems like the movie is supposed to be Indiana Jones in space, while 10 minutes later it's an action thriller, but then it's a deep philosophical movie about the origins of life. About the midpoint of the movie, they shoehorn in an action sequence that beyond being completely unnecessary actually disrupts the flow of the movie. It's also one of those movies where the two main characters are completely unlikable and you actually hope for their deaths. They'll talk about how they need to be safe and then not 30 seconds later they're putting everyone at risk for no other reason than to create suspense. There is simply too much "why would anyone do that?"

The male archeologist seems to be ripped straight from the cast of the Jersey Shore and his partner is unbearably dumb and those are the two people you're supposed to care about.

For example, there's a scene where the crew finds something and then they need to get back to the ship quickly because a storm is coming. The female archeologist says "We can't leave it behind!" when this was their first trip to the site. Just leave it behind and grab it tomorrow. That decision to take the object then leads to a five minute sequence (during which she continues to make stupid decisions) I didn't care about because it shouldn't have happened.

There's also a three minute scene where two characters are running away from a falling object (you know those scenes where if they run 10 feet left or right they'll be fine, but continue to run straight)... only to have one of the characters fall and gently roll out of the way, making you wonder why you needed to see them run for three minutes when they were a foot and a half from surviving.
  14. Jun 9, 2012
    Too much world not enough characters. The people on the ship were so faceless, I didn't care when they started dying. I had no idea who they were when they started saying names. it felt so flat and average.
  15. Jun 8, 2012
    I loved it. I will try not to spoil anything for those who have not seen it. The production design is really where this film shines. Everything looks so perfect. There wasn't a single visual aspect to this film that had anything out of place. For that alone I would give this a 10. David is also played to perfection. There are some problems with the writing, but I wouldn't say theyI loved it. I will try not to spoil anything for those who have not seen it. The production design is really where this film shines. Everything looks so perfect. There wasn't a single visual aspect to this film that had anything out of place. For that alone I would give this a 10. David is also played to perfection. There are some problems with the writing, but I wouldn't say they mattered to much. That doesn't mean this a "check your brain in at the door film", it's just that not everything gets explained. This is also the first film I have seen the audience clap twice in (other than at the end, a scene involving Theron and Elba got an applause). It's not as good as Alien, but it is still the most exciting and beautiful looking films I have seen in ages. Expand
  16. Jun 9, 2012
    This film was not quite a 10 but I will give it that anyway because it was easily the best movie I have seen in a theater in some time. Many of the complaints against it are somewhat justified but for the most part it is just people who were over expectant and self entitled ("I want my money back.") I personally hope that Lindelhof does not return to pen another script as there wereThis film was not quite a 10 but I will give it that anyway because it was easily the best movie I have seen in a theater in some time. Many of the complaints against it are somewhat justified but for the most part it is just people who were over expectant and self entitled ("I want my money back.") I personally hope that Lindelhof does not return to pen another script as there were moments that clearly needed more definition. That said, Prometheus truly sets the stage for what could be a remarkable series of films, explaining the evolution of humans and aliens as a sort of binary weapons program. If you just want another Alien movie, don't waste your time. If you enjoy incredible CG, interesting philosophical quandaries and a couple freaky monsters it is well worth a few bucks. Expand
  17. Jun 8, 2012
    This movie is great. I'll admit there are a few moments where the point is unclear, but it shines through these. The genius of this movies plot can be found, but it takes some thinking in and out of the theater, and still not everything will be revealed. All in all, the story connects together well, the acting is good, and the story perfectly ties in with the rest of the Alien series whileThis movie is great. I'll admit there are a few moments where the point is unclear, but it shines through these. The genius of this movies plot can be found, but it takes some thinking in and out of the theater, and still not everything will be revealed. All in all, the story connects together well, the acting is good, and the story perfectly ties in with the rest of the Alien series while still feeling new and having its own style. Expand
  18. Jun 9, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Warning, this is all spoilers

Wow, I was excited about Prometheus the moment I saw the first trailer. Aliens is arguably one of the best movies of all time IMO and Ridley Scott has made a bunch of really amazing movies. Blade Runner, Alien, Gladiator wasnâ
  19. Jun 10, 2012
    Don't waste your time and money. Hype aside, this movie was worthless from start to finish. Not exciting, not scary, and the lack of storyline just makes it a painful experience. I'm a huge fan of Ridley Scott as well as the Alien franchise and yet I found this movie utterly and totally useless. I'm being particularly brutal about it so that I can hopefully save someone theDon't waste your time and money. Hype aside, this movie was worthless from start to finish. Not exciting, not scary, and the lack of storyline just makes it a painful experience. I'm a huge fan of Ridley Scott as well as the Alien franchise and yet I found this movie utterly and totally useless. I'm being particularly brutal about it so that I can hopefully save someone the disappointment of wasting a Sunday afternoon on this. Expand
  20. Jun 11, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Be warned, this film is very stupid. Highly intelligent alien beings created all life on earth yet are stupid enough to revisit ages later and leave us clues and directions to their moon base so we can go there and destroy them. This is a trillion dollar endeavor to reach this moon and this rag tag group of characters is the best Peter Weyland could come up with to see this mission succeed? State of the art probes that can't detect worms or mutated snake aliens. An android with the ability to see into the future. How else would david know that by poisoning a crew member with alien goo he would copulate with his barren girlfriend an she would conceive an alien facehugger? This film has more plot holes than swiss cheese. Since when are archaeologists also biologists and skilled enough surgeons to operate advanced surgical equipment on themselves while a squid tears at their insides? Still not impressed? Evolution only takes minutes and hours in this film, not years or eons. One final spoiler: the alien life cycle has no incubation/developement stage and produces full grown xenomorphs that explode out of the host body, no chestbursters here. Very disappointing film indeed! Expand
  21. Jun 8, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I was very happy to finally see a "grown-up" Sci Fi Horror film where not everything is fully explained and in this respect loved Prometheus...to be honest, the script seemed a little light in context and discovery, and .I have to admit to mild frustration in not knowing more about the backstory of the Engineers, and the reason for their malevolence...

Noomi Rapace is outstanding as Dr. Shaw and Michael Fassbinder is fascinating to watch as the android David.. Idris Elba is excellent as the understated Captain of Prometheus... Let's face it though, the real stars of the film are the CGI experts, designers and cinemotographer Dariusz Wolski makes the film a gorgeous, state-of-the-art masterwork that is not to be missed on a big screen. The Engineers look alot like a Greek base-relief of gods and I'm sure that was deliberate...the film's aliens exceed the original Aliens and their flawless. seamless creation by the CGI designers is truly unbelieveable....not to mention their menace...There is great tension and some unexpected surprises...but it seemed the backstories of the characters were not as important as the task at hand and leaves a nagging feeling of wanting a little more...

( I for one would have loved to see the first half of the second act with the humans encountering the Engineers--our creators--and they thilled to see we have found them...they sharing knowledge and information with us (like curing cancer) that would be magical and wonderous...but some members of Prometheus are especially curious about something they keep from us...steal it, and the chase is on to get away from them...but that's just me.)

Going to see it again...not quite a masterpiece, but pretty darn close.
  22. Jun 11, 2012
    Is this an Alien prequel?: yes, definitely! Does it answer all of your questions?: about 70%, some stuff is still unexplained. As this is a Ridley Scott film it surely looks VERY nice, super hi-tech production design and very sleek VFX. I watched it in 3D but you can skip that coz it doesn't add much. I had incredibly high expectations for this film and they are mostly met. The basic ideasIs this an Alien prequel?: yes, definitely! Does it answer all of your questions?: about 70%, some stuff is still unexplained. As this is a Ridley Scott film it surely looks VERY nice, super hi-tech production design and very sleek VFX. I watched it in 3D but you can skip that coz it doesn't add much. I had incredibly high expectations for this film and they are mostly met. The basic ideas from Alien are carried over and expanded from Alien 1. You don't actualy need to have seen any of the Alien movies to appreciate it as the story works on it's own. If you are a fan of Alien or have appreciated any of the Alien movies I would highly recommend seeing this film, you won't regret it! Expand
  23. Jun 11, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Ridley Scott is a great director, but he appears to be perfectly capable of making awful movies. Prometheus's problems range from absurdly predictable plot to characters acting in such a stupid manner that horror movie cheerleaders would be appalled. There are many instances were the internal logic of the story breakdown or never develop at all. The horror scenes are not suspenseful, with jump scares that you can predict to the second and blinding stupidity. Combine that with large amounts of pointless religious symbolism, no character development, no emotional connection and an ending that borders on offensive to the viewers intelligence (the main character knowing leaves the planet on a ship that contains a bio-weapon that can cause extinction with the explicit purpose of landing on a populated planet) and you have yourself a bad, boring movie. I cannot give it a lower score, however, because the acting is generally good (its the writing that fails) and the movie contains one of my favorite death scenes ever. Expand
  24. Jun 8, 2012
    I truly loved this movie. It's a GREAT space epic. Here's why I like it. It called into question and brought great purpose to the great questions of all time. Why are we here, who made us, what's our purpose. I love those ideas mixed with the space epic setting. It was however, not as amazing as I'd hoped because I had set my standards so high. BUT in all reality, its one of the best filmsI truly loved this movie. It's a GREAT space epic. Here's why I like it. It called into question and brought great purpose to the great questions of all time. Why are we here, who made us, what's our purpose. I love those ideas mixed with the space epic setting. It was however, not as amazing as I'd hoped because I had set my standards so high. BUT in all reality, its one of the best films of the summer. GREAT subtext, amazing layers, all mixed with some awesome anthropology / ancient Egyptian religious undertones. Calls the hero to faith, and delivers. If you have not seen it, just please, go see it. Its better than ANYTHING else out right now (6-8-12) Expand
  25. Jun 8, 2012
    Maybenot as good as the hype, with there seeming to not be a clear beginning and middle, many anti climaxes and doesnt follow the tense, scary route of Alien. But, there is much more good about the film, exceptional visuals, which make you feel very immersed into the setting of this planet. Miachel Fassbenders performance is excellent being a stand out in the movie and the scenes in whichMaybenot as good as the hype, with there seeming to not be a clear beginning and middle, many anti climaxes and doesnt follow the tense, scary route of Alien. But, there is much more good about the film, exceptional visuals, which make you feel very immersed into the setting of this planet. Miachel Fassbenders performance is excellent being a stand out in the movie and the scenes in which we see what happnes while the rest of the crew put into perspective how mistreated these androids can be. The script may not be perfect but the way in which it asks questions that are nit answered may annoy some, but can make others sit and think about what happened and what will happen next, fair enough, some of the questions asked are really baiting at a sequel, but this can be ignored. The alien in the film, which i wont reveal much about, will be very different to your expectations but is a very good, for much of the sptries questions revolve around their discovery. People who watched alien will be happy to see some of the unanswered questions answered, but believe me when i say this is defintely not in the same style of Alien, a very different film from Scott. There is few tense moments, and there is no silences in the film, but a lot of talking, and maybe the amount of conversations and speeches is not as good as Aliens eerieness, but Scott did always say his approach would be different.
    To conclude, the film is visually stunning, and the main theme of the film is bringing up questions about our beginnings which is very good. There is some faults especially the anti climaxes where you expect a scene of violence to lead to the conclusion of the film, and when it doesnt you ask what was the point? There are many things you may not notice in the film, but later you will realize why a little scenes was in there. A very good film, just a shame it wasnt the brilliance people thought it would be.
  26. Jun 9, 2012
    I went into the cinema without any expectations or the immature Alien fanaticism of my teens, I went in there to watch a very good science fiction film, and that is exactly what I got. Tense scenes, style, effects, a storyline that doesn't spoon feed you (like most Americans need unfortunately) but actually has you thinking long after the film ends. The film essentially sticks two fingersI went into the cinema without any expectations or the immature Alien fanaticism of my teens, I went in there to watch a very good science fiction film, and that is exactly what I got. Tense scenes, style, effects, a storyline that doesn't spoon feed you (like most Americans need unfortunately) but actually has you thinking long after the film ends. The film essentially sticks two fingers up and the Alien franchise, and I loved that. Rather than pander to childish fans and try to tie in with the ever weakening series of films, it started fresh; a bit of the old but mostly new. And this has given the whole concept of the Alien a new and fresh direction to grow in. My only gripe with the film is that we don't have an opportunity to connect with the characters. Which is a shame. I was very happy with this film and I recommend that people with intelligence and appreciation of a beautiful film and a fresh start go and see it. For the hardcore Alien fans and the monkeys in society, go and watch paint dry. Expand
  27. Jun 9, 2012
    the visal experience of promethus is stunning, it really keeps your mind and eyes at the screens,. script has some flaws, but u know u do not discuss a movie s flaws if it is a bad movie. i personally enjoy it very much. if u are looking for 2 hrs of entertainment, i highly recommend this movie
  28. Jun 8, 2012
    Prometheus is a breath of fresh air to the sci-fi/ horror genre. You are treated with breath taking CG and a plot that is both familiar and distinct to those who have enjoyed Ridley Scott's prior work in the Alien movies. However, Prometheus does stumble in explanation of its rich world and we leave with more questions then answers. My advice is to take it as a whole, enjoy the rich worldPrometheus is a breath of fresh air to the sci-fi/ horror genre. You are treated with breath taking CG and a plot that is both familiar and distinct to those who have enjoyed Ridley Scott's prior work in the Alien movies. However, Prometheus does stumble in explanation of its rich world and we leave with more questions then answers. My advice is to take it as a whole, enjoy the rich world Ridley Scott has presented us, lose yourself in its impressive score, and enjoy the ride. Expand
  29. Jun 8, 2012
    It doesn't quite live up to the original Alien movie, but it holds its own and it's a far above average sci-fi movie. It starts out rather slow, but it all helps to build to a thrilling conclusion. Even though the ending leaves more questions open than it answers, it's still rather mind blowing and the whole thing is very inventive. The performances were good all around, particularlyIt doesn't quite live up to the original Alien movie, but it holds its own and it's a far above average sci-fi movie. It starts out rather slow, but it all helps to build to a thrilling conclusion. Even though the ending leaves more questions open than it answers, it's still rather mind blowing and the whole thing is very inventive. The performances were good all around, particularly Michael Fassbender. The cast along with Ridley Scott's direction were superb at creating tension and instilling a feeling of dread within the viewer. But the best part of the film had to be the amazing visual effects and cinematography which, if nothing else, makes the film well worth the price of a ticket. Expand
  30. Jun 8, 2012
    One of the best movies I've seen in a long time. Truly EPIC. This is one of those films that I wished so badly that I was part of the Prometheus crew. Reminds me of when I was young when I wished I was a part of the lord of the rings and star wars universe. It's a strange feeling. But watch it NOW, in cinemas in 3D: 3D is really good like Avatar!!
  31. Jun 9, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Prometheus, the new movie of Ridley Scott, and what happen? have a some low score, sorry but the critics have some mistake because the movie is fantastic. Prometheus is an indirect prequel of Alien. The story is amazing and have an awesome development. The performances are amazing, Charlize Theon, Michael Fassbender and Noomi Rapace OMG!! Excellent. The effects are incredible (thenw oscar winner?). Prometheus is a fantastic movie, and yeah one of the best movies of this year. Expand
  32. Jun 9, 2012
    I am somewhat surprised that this film seems to have such a diverse range of opinions on whether it's worth seeing or not. In my view, the work is a near masterpiece in that it successfully presents a gripping an engaging sci-fi story, whilst simultaneously posing timeless questions that we, as the human race, have been asking for centuries. The film also does a lot to dispel the myth ofI am somewhat surprised that this film seems to have such a diverse range of opinions on whether it's worth seeing or not. In my view, the work is a near masterpiece in that it successfully presents a gripping an engaging sci-fi story, whilst simultaneously posing timeless questions that we, as the human race, have been asking for centuries. The film also does a lot to dispel the myth of academic assumption as fact - showing very clearly that the assumptions and interpretations offered by modern 'experts' are fallible and flawed at best, and at worst... downright wrong. The art direction is exquisite, the setting is epic and the characters are believable. I think the film challenges it's audience a little more than your average sci-fi flick, and it's satisfying fare if you enjoy cerebral undercurrents. I loved this movie and I'd see it again. Highly recommended! Expand
  33. Jun 9, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Wow. My first impression of Prometheus was simply, wow. While it didn't quite reach Alien or Aliens in terms of brilliance, it was damn close.

Lets talk plot: I like the idea of the mysterious Engineers that leave their marks all over prehistoric Earth, and an intriguing opening sequence captured the visuals which left my jaw hanging open. Find a huge screen to watch this film, that way you enjoy it exponentially more. Introducing the character of David first was wise, Michael Fassbender is sheerly brilliant as the sinister but polite android David. Noomi Rapace is watch-able but a bit flat as the lead role. Sean Harris and Rafe Spall make for an entertaining but big-mouthed double act. And the way they cop it was very gross-out as there was a lot of in-your-face (literally) creature action. Although suspense in these moments would have been welcome. The exploration of the alien pyramid was enjoyable on a whole because of stunning visuals that welcome 3D with open arms. The holograms of the Engineers were very well presented in leading the characters to the story. When the ickiness began, it was pleasingly grotesque, but not shocking, in the way it could and should have been for a 15 film. Although that factor is picked up very well in a later scene with Shaw on the medi-scanner in a "pregnancy" scene that was horrific and scarring in the sheer amount of blood that was involved. But I like that bit a lot, because it gave Prometheus a backbone where it lacked in true horror. I don't want to drone on, so I'll say the ending was satisfactory in that it showed us the "Space Jockey" ship and pilots chair from Alien, but it was a bit disappointing that the film ends with a fight between tentacled monster and Engineer, like something out of King Kong vs Godzilla. The ending with Shaw and David going off in to space to find answers is obviously setting up a sequel, without promising one. Sensible, and Scott ends with a scene which was so utterly brilliant in its sense of giving the audience satisfaction it almost gets a 10 for the entire film. The Xenomorph appears in all its glory! Which was a fan-pleasing appearance especially since Scott stated it probably wouldn't appear. It's a perfect ending scene, and made me long for a sequel more than I could say. Overall I loved Prometheus, it really lived up to its status as a prequel to one of the best Sci-Fi films ever made, but sadly doesn't quite level with it. For the sequel, if it is made, an upping in suspense and true gross-out horror would be the driving force to get a 10/10. BUT DON'T TONE DOWN THE VISUALS, SCOTT! THEY WERE BRILLIANT!
  34. Jun 11, 2012
    Hard to imagine it's by the same director as Alien, it's so far away in tone, pace and a lot of the acting*.
    Like a remake for the short-attention-span generation, or a George Lucas prequel, there's enough happening for 5 movies, all rammed into 2 hours and with the odd 'big concept' thrown in there, with no time to make anything to seem believable.It seems borderline insane instead.
    Certainly entertaining though, can't say it's boring - I needed a few moment's silence after the end. Looks amazing in places too. However I don't think I'd want to see it again in a hurry and it.certainly won't be seen as a classic in 30 years.
    *There's some very dodgy supporting character acting, - the Scottish woman was particularly cringe-worthy.
  35. X0R
    Jun 11, 2012
    Could have been a great film, but riddled with story holes, poor character involvement & development, awful dialogue ... typical for SciFi-Channel quality but not for a film that had a $120-million budget. So disappointing. And Ebert's sell-out review is disgusting....did he even watch the Alien series? He didn't even criticize this film for any of the plot flaws or terrible acting.
  36. Jun 11, 2012
    Terrible move. No suspense whatsoever. I kept waiting for the movie to get exciting but it never happened. The storyline stupid. No explanations of anything that was happening. I could barely tell it was a prequel to Alien.
  37. Jun 12, 2012
    Piece of ****
    They say it is a prequel, but you might has well seen a Harry Potter movie where a alien prances out of the woods at the end. Also, the aliens look like penises.
  38. Jun 12, 2012
    All I want to say is that most of these negative reviews really didn't absorb what this movie is. It's very complex, and in no way did I think for a moment that this movie was trying to be like 2001: A Space Odyssey.
    I'm not trying to sound pretentious here, but the movie does NOT deserve this low of a score, with millions of meat heads going straight to metacritic for spoonfed interpretations by movie critics that take away any sense of imagination and insight.
    Think of it this way, when Fight Club first came out, it got ripped to shreds by movie critics...after a few years for it to sink in and now it's a classic.

This movie gets a 10 from me. I went in, just to enjoy the ride, and I wasn't bored for a minute.
  39. Jun 13, 2012
    If you've already seen the trailer, then the movie's already been spoiled for you. For those who haven't, this is one of those tragic instances where some truly great elements are lost on what is undoubtedly the most unimaginative, unintelligent and uninspiring story of the year riddled with more loose ends then Alien appearances. While the dialogue isn't abysmal and is well acted out by aIf you've already seen the trailer, then the movie's already been spoiled for you. For those who haven't, this is one of those tragic instances where some truly great elements are lost on what is undoubtedly the most unimaginative, unintelligent and uninspiring story of the year riddled with more loose ends then Alien appearances. While the dialogue isn't abysmal and is well acted out by a talented cast, the characters are all one dimensional at best. Although they hint that there may be more personality hidden below the surface, no actions are made to support any evidence of existence. There isn't a single fighter among the entire group and the heroine's unrealistic amount of luck in surviving a never ending onslaught of dangerous scenarios gives this an almost a Disney-like quality (in a bad way, i.e. John Carter) despite a complete and utter lack of reasons why we as the viewer would want to relate to, emulate, sympathize with, or watch this character. Her bravado is poorly paired with displays of lower-level aptitude, which is simply sad for a scientist. Other things to note are this film plays long (2 hours feels like 4) and anyone who's seen Aliens will no doubt find this (alleged prequel) to be an insult to its' memory. However, if you're looking for signature Ridley Scott shots, special effects and sequences there are some visually appealing parts of the film that make up for about 5 of the 127 minutes of the movie. If you're on the fence, watch the trailer and if you still want to see some nonsense for the purpose of amusement, go watch The Dictator- it's ridiculous as well, but in a good way and funny too. Expand
  40. Jun 17, 2012
    Yes, it did have enough visuals and mesmerizing cinematography to fascinate and rock to the very core the target group of people for whom this movie was made and heavily advertised. But to me, it's just another multi million dollars disappointment. Actually, the movie was so unexpectedly (considering the director) goofy and clumsy at some points, i felt fascinated by the fact that suchYes, it did have enough visuals and mesmerizing cinematography to fascinate and rock to the very core the target group of people for whom this movie was made and heavily advertised. But to me, it's just another multi million dollars disappointment. Actually, the movie was so unexpectedly (considering the director) goofy and clumsy at some points, i felt fascinated by the fact that such screenplay has been approved by a major studio. Probably it wouldn't have fared far at the box office if it wasn't for the viral marketing campaign. Expand
  41. Jun 8, 2012
    I went to the premiere of Prometheus a week ago and I really liked it. It's a solid sci-fi movie, it's much better if you think of it as just a sci-fi movie and not an Alien movie. I did think they left a bit too many questions unanswered and the ending scene was almost cringe-worthy but overall it's good. The effects are GREAT, the story for the most part is good and the space jockies (orI went to the premiere of Prometheus a week ago and I really liked it. It's a solid sci-fi movie, it's much better if you think of it as just a sci-fi movie and not an Alien movie. I did think they left a bit too many questions unanswered and the ending scene was almost cringe-worthy but overall it's good. The effects are GREAT, the story for the most part is good and the space jockies (or 'engineers') look cool. I wish I could give it a 9 but I think an 8 is a bit more appropriate for it. Still a good movie and I recommend it. Expand
  42. Jun 9, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Prometheus was staggeringly bad.

Part of this was that I was primed to be that Prometheus was going to be "about" something, and failing that, I thought it was going to be sci-fi horror on the scale of (or at least in the ballpark of) something like Alien. And it's Ridley Scott: The dude has made two sci-fi movies: Alien and Bladerunner: both classics of the genre. It's only going to get better, right?

So, let's start with the good: It's undeniable that the visuals are very striking. Some of the vistas made me want to race off to photograph them (even if they weren't real), and there was a real "internal logic" to the visual style and design of the human and alien environments that made the whole thing seem believable. As usual (and it's hard to fault Prometheus for this), 3d added little to the movie, save for the scenes with lasers and holographs both human and alien, where it helped with immersion. The other bright point is the robot (sorry, "Artificial person") David, played by Michael Fassbender, who steals most of the scenes he's in. He starts out in an earlier montage which influenced by TE Lawrence, _Moon_, and Desmond in the Hatch. After that, he manages to channel a role which is equal parts automaton, adolescent, menacing molester ("I saw your dreams"), and dutiful but ignored son, but closes in the role of toady.

Virtually everything else in this movie is average through awful. The writing is forced and wooden, and almost hurt to sit through. "Every king has his reign and then he dies" -- I guess channeling King Lear for dummies, but how forced. The plot was implausible and actually fairly uninteresting. The fact that this was pitched as a "big theme" movie had me excited. Instead, we have really hamfisted metaphors and a people working through parental issues in the dumbest and least interesting way possible.

The really damning failure of this movie is that it even fails as a suspense or a horror piece. I telegraphed most of what would happen very, very early in the movie. None of it was a surprise, the horror was all utterly predictable, and what little subtle there was in foreshadowing required you to already be a fan of Alien (no bad thing, but if that's what it takes to scare people...). There was just no new ground tread.

The theater I was in actually found itself laughing at some of the lines and situations. This was in no way intentional -- and in fact, when I ran into a friend at dinner (who'd just seen it), he said the way he'd enjoyed the film was to appreciate it as camp. Ouch.

Probably the best thing I could say is that there is enough sort of directionless "theme stuff" in the movie that you could hack together a good movie out of the pieces: but man, this isn't it.

It gets a 3/10 on the strength of the visuals. Normally they'd be nice enough to give it a 4/10, but I had to take off a point for the painfully bad old man makeup on Weyland. (another friend: "He looks like Biff from Back to the Future!"). I
    'm really sad about Prometheus, because I really had high expectations.
  43. Jun 8, 2012
    Watched Prometheus tonight and I enjoyed it. However be warned I liked it as I'm a Sci-Fi fan and if you are not then you probably won't like it. Slow moving with lots of talking, but for me as the talking was about the origin of life and nature of mankind, I can live with that. Even though this is a prequel to Alien its not as tense or doesn't have the action of Aliens. Even with that itsWatched Prometheus tonight and I enjoyed it. However be warned I liked it as I'm a Sci-Fi fan and if you are not then you probably won't like it. Slow moving with lots of talking, but for me as the talking was about the origin of life and nature of mankind, I can live with that. Even though this is a prequel to Alien its not as tense or doesn't have the action of Aliens. Even with that its well worth seeing in the Cinema in 3D as its gorgeous and the sense of scale is mesmerizing. Michael Fassbender is brilliant and steals the show even with Noomi Rapace doing an "OK" Ripley impression. Ridley Scott you did well by me. Expand
  44. Jun 10, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Big and beautiful film, which I enjoyed, but which had literally dozens of plot holes. I feel like a couple of guys got into a room and came up with the story, "yeah, and then when we charge the head, it comes alive, and then explodes, yeah, cool", and "we can make the robot kinda evil," but without any motivation to be? While if you can ignore so much nonsense, you will enjoy this movie, I can't help feeling, over and over, every time I see a big budget film that either the producers are stupid (because it would be so ridiculously easy to patch the plot holes), or they think I am. Expand
  45. Jun 9, 2012
    We have a contender for worst film of the year and its called Prometheus. I felt the movie struggled to identify itself. Is it a science fiction film? Horror? Adventure? A religious purgatory of some kind?? Who knows...who cares actually. I think the main focus of the film was to try and impress you with its special effects and sound and neglect the story completely. I was very angryWe have a contender for worst film of the year and its called Prometheus. I felt the movie struggled to identify itself. Is it a science fiction film? Horror? Adventure? A religious purgatory of some kind?? Who knows...who cares actually. I think the main focus of the film was to try and impress you with its special effects and sound and neglect the story completely. I was very angry and disappointed at the end of the film and felt like I should go to management and ask them for my money back. I feel this film is the equal to Star Wars the Phantom Menace minus the super annoying Jar Jar Binks. Just like Star Wars, there are moments in this film that I call WTF moments where you feel like throwing up your hands in the air and saying "ARE YOU KIDDING ME??" I HIGHLY recommending this film as a rental and don't see it in the theatre.
    Again, all this film is, is bells and whistles and if you dive into the actual story and character development while watching this film, you'll realize how poor of a film it is and you'll leave the theatre angry and confused. I'm still shocked and sad this film is as bad as it is.
  46. Jun 8, 2012
    Firstly, this review contains spoilers, so if you haven't seen the movie, not only are you lucky but also you probably don't want to read on. So here we go. First off how the hell does this film get even remotely positive reviews when it's so goddamn awful? Yes the special effects are great and Michael Fassbender is good but everything else about this film was quite frankly horrific.Firstly, this review contains spoilers, so if you haven't seen the movie, not only are you lucky but also you probably don't want to read on. So here we go. First off how the hell does this film get even remotely positive reviews when it's so goddamn awful? Yes the special effects are great and Michael Fassbender is good but everything else about this film was quite frankly horrific. Such as:

The fact the â
  47. Jun 9, 2012
    If you enjoyed the Aliens series, you will certainly enjoy this. Satisfiable cast. Remarkable visuals and environments. Delicious information into the Aliens series if the viewer likes that. Minimal gore scenes resulted in each one being unique and obvious to the amount of work put into it. Profound plots not entirely obvious to the viewer that the viewer should investigate. OneIf you enjoyed the Aliens series, you will certainly enjoy this. Satisfiable cast. Remarkable visuals and environments. Delicious information into the Aliens series if the viewer likes that. Minimal gore scenes resulted in each one being unique and obvious to the amount of work put into it. Profound plots not entirely obvious to the viewer that the viewer should investigate. One character's makeup was very questionable. One scene was questionable, but could be reasoned. I want to watch it again. Expand
  48. Jun 8, 2012
    I love this movie, one of the best movies in years. It lived up to its hype. I normally can't stand 3-D movies, but the visual effects of this made it worth it. The acting was amazing, I especially loved how robotic Micheal Fassbender's movements were. Stellar cast, beautiful visual effects, I cannot gush enough about this movie. I felt a little of every emotion while watching this, II love this movie, one of the best movies in years. It lived up to its hype. I normally can't stand 3-D movies, but the visual effects of this made it worth it. The acting was amazing, I especially loved how robotic Micheal Fassbender's movements were. Stellar cast, beautiful visual effects, I cannot gush enough about this movie. I felt a little of every emotion while watching this, I laughed, I cried, I was speechless, my heart-stopped a few times, it was overall amazing. Definitely go see it, the midnight release was so worth it and I will happily see this again. Expand
  49. Jun 8, 2012
    A small crew explorers deep space financed by a corporation that has secret ambitions. The crew lands on an uncharted planet, discovers an alien species that hatches from pods, and inhabits the bodies of it's hosts. Everyone is killed except a sole surviving woman. Also there is an android on board who is emotionless and secret conspires with the agenda of the corporation. Name that movie?A small crew explorers deep space financed by a corporation that has secret ambitions. The crew lands on an uncharted planet, discovers an alien species that hatches from pods, and inhabits the bodies of it's hosts. Everyone is killed except a sole surviving woman. Also there is an android on board who is emotionless and secret conspires with the agenda of the corporation. Name that movie? Alien - yes that's right. We would have also accepted 'Prometheus'. Seriously. I kept thinking that something original had to happen, but alas Hollywood has played me for the fool yet again by selling a movie that I have seen before but with better special effects. Prometheus is Alien with really impressive special effects, and thinly veiled sub plot, which is actually nothing more than posing questions which are never answered. Ironically they played a preview for 'Total Recall' before this movie. Apparently every original thought has been exhausted by Hollywood. Expand
  50. VTx
    Jun 8, 2012
    People always like to compare movies with another movies. Prometheus is a new movie, not a sequel or a prequel from the old movies, director said exactly the same thing. The production of the film is amazing, the story... a race more ancient, they create some life in a variety of planets including the alien. You see the first alien in the movie Prometheus or maybe he isn't the alien fromPeople always like to compare movies with another movies. Prometheus is a new movie, not a sequel or a prequel from the old movies, director said exactly the same thing. The production of the film is amazing, the story... a race more ancient, they create some life in a variety of planets including the alien. You see the first alien in the movie Prometheus or maybe he isn't the alien from "aliens movies" and is a new specie who knows.
    Maybe in the second movie the producers and writers will give us some answers when Shaw kill them, I bet s going to be more thriller.
  51. Jun 8, 2012
    It was a waste of time and money, would advice wait for it on blue ray not worth going to the movies to watch this crap. It starts off great than all of a sudden you meet the crew and none seem to be likeable. the main character is annoying and so is here boyfriend who seems like a douchebag
  52. Jun 10, 2012
    Another great Ridley Scott movie, he is a great director, it has awesome special effects and it has to much suspense, and we have a great performance by a new movie star, Michael Fassbender, who is really popular at the moment
  53. Jul 14, 2012
    This film's much lauded visuals are a combination of drab and video game CGI. The audio was totally forgettable other than sounding vaguely like some other films. The "plot" had more holes than a movie of that length should conceivably be able to contain. Characters were the kind you want to forget and probably will. The 'deep thought provoking open ended questions' that are lazily tackedThis film's much lauded visuals are a combination of drab and video game CGI. The audio was totally forgettable other than sounding vaguely like some other films. The "plot" had more holes than a movie of that length should conceivably be able to contain. Characters were the kind you want to forget and probably will. The 'deep thought provoking open ended questions' that are lazily tacked on at the beginning and given minimal followup rank right up there with "Ancient Aliens" started Thanksgiving. Expand
  54. Oct 19, 2012
    On Metacritic no-one can hear you scream - THIS IS RUBBISH!
    Film fans be warned - this is an overblown, pretentious, boring, mess of a movie.
    On Metacritic no-one can hear you scream - THIS IS RUBBISH!
    A real let down for fans of Alien 1 or 2. The b-movie style jump scares were boring, the characters were boring (with the exception of the captain) there was precious little of the nuance or tension of Alien 1 or the exciting action of Alien 2. This looked nice but the story was pants. The hologram flash back device sucked.
  55. Jun 24, 2012
    I'm not usually into Sci-Fi films, however, this film was the exception. Fantastic visual effects, intriguing storyline, and a philosophical twist to it. All the ingredients that make up a great film.
  56. Jun 14, 2012
    The movie would never be as good as my expectation level for it, but I really enjoyed it. Imax 3D was brilliant. Visually the movie is stunning. It feels like it could have used 15-20 more minutes for character developement,more suspense, and I just wanted more. Like an episode of Lost, it creates more questions than answers given,but I think thats why they hired Lindelof to rewriteThe movie would never be as good as my expectation level for it, but I really enjoyed it. Imax 3D was brilliant. Visually the movie is stunning. It feels like it could have used 15-20 more minutes for character developement,more suspense, and I just wanted more. Like an episode of Lost, it creates more questions than answers given,but I think thats why they hired Lindelof to rewrite Spaihts script. A good film that could have been better is what i get out of it. It has a lot of Alien type scenes recreated but they lack the suspense and dread that the 1st film had. I also dont understand putting music in all the scenes where it should be silent or ambient sounds to create some of that mood that is missing. A sequel should be interesting! 9/10 stars Expand
  57. Jun 13, 2012
    Absolutely fantastic BECAUSE it was so jumbled and chaotically written.
    Absolutely fantastic BECAUSE it was so jumbled and chaotically written.
    The script jumps whole sections ahead and back. True. The characters behaved nonsensical and were flat. True. However; the story does answer a lot of questions ; where do the aliens come from, who are the giger corpses in the crashed ship, why is wayland so horny to exploit it. Albeit chaotic, it has excellent pacing. Theres not much suspense, but it mixes mystery exploration with nastiness. I didnt even know who the protagonists actually were until half the way through. Which in times of utter plot predictability is a welcome variation. The main characters are a christian fanatic and a "i wear flipflops while sipping my latte in this space ship" douche who was so stereotypically hipster that ridley scott must have made intentional statement on his hatred for apple stores and starbucks. I couldnt wait for them to die, and my sympathies were with the evil charlize theron all along. Fantastic! A movie that destroys classic plot structures so profoundly and still gets away with it is a true innovation for mainstream hollywood in my book. The story jumps a little too harshly here and there, and some characters are propably supposed to be 80ies cheese stereotypes as a hommage, but too flat in the end. But the visuals are fantastic and the pacing works. Its not an intelligent movie as the questions about the origins of humanity (aliens vs god) is overdone and shallow in itself, but the movie is not supposed to be 2001 anyways. As a plot framework its sufficient. All in all quite unpredictable and quirky, a true experience. I felt thoroughly brain raped. And thats a compliment.
  58. Jun 10, 2012
    A major debate that underlies the film is what's interesting, what I believed was supposed to be the question of Religion Vs Science, Creationism Vs Evolution. Unfortunately the film doesn't really do much with it. Apart from that the film offers a few interesting new ideas to the Alien story and of course the gorgeous visuals and a few expected scares.

Overall this film was enjoyable to

Overall this film was enjoyable to watch but just fell short of being a great film, it seems as if there were missing scenes, if not then some lazy story telling but I find the later hard to believe coming from a seasoned director.

Fully expecting a much more coherent directors cut some time in the future. I hope that the film wasn't chopped up on purpose just to push more BluRay sales.
  59. Jun 17, 2012
    This film was absolutely amazing! Beautiful, scary, intense, and yes lots of philosophy to think about. The one thing I really loved was the musical score - particularly the main theme that is notably played at the beginning of the film. At first I found this theme to be very "American" (I'm Canadian) - the style would work well in a WW2 film such as in Saving Private Ryan. But theThis film was absolutely amazing! Beautiful, scary, intense, and yes lots of philosophy to think about. The one thing I really loved was the musical score - particularly the main theme that is notably played at the beginning of the film. At first I found this theme to be very "American" (I'm Canadian) - the style would work well in a WW2 film such as in Saving Private Ryan. But the theme is used throughout the film and brilliantly that is. In the depths of space and terror, this theme really helped pull me back to the comfort of home or Earth and this sort of 'journey' and experience what really knocked this film out of the ballpark for me. As well, the basic concept of this film is an extremely difficult subject matter to approach. The origins of mankind are obviously so mind bending that no human will ever truly know. Yet Ridley Scott took a stab and this film and it's philosophies are just spectacular and in the end highly entertaining with lots of thinking. The bad: the scene where those 2 scientists meet their demise with the"water snake" was really too silly for this film's caliber. Otherwise, loved every moment of the film and looking forward to watching it again hopefully soon. Expand
  60. Jun 10, 2012
    This metascore is an absolute travesty. A beautiful, thought-provoking science-fiction film discussing what it means to be human, and the origins of life. It's metascore should be much much higher, at least in the seventies.
  61. Jun 10, 2012
    This is for sure the best movie of 2012 I have seen so far, Sci fi movies are of my favorites, I also loved Alien I also liked this one but not that much as alien, but still awesome
  62. Jun 11, 2012
    Great movie. The Alien genie has been out of the bottle for years. It was natural to explore the space jockey in this one. This is a mature movie with real thought provoking questions in it. More of a journey more than a destination.
  63. Jun 14, 2012
    I usually like to let the movie take me where it wants to. However after reading the bad reviews I had my doubts whether to spend my $ 13 at all. I am glad I took the advice to see it in the theater. Special effects audio, and visuals were outstanding. I was prepared to be disappointed by the movie as a whole and yes, character, storyline and ending left something to be desired if II usually like to let the movie take me where it wants to. However after reading the bad reviews I had my doubts whether to spend my $ 13 at all. I am glad I took the advice to see it in the theater. Special effects audio, and visuals were outstanding. I was prepared to be disappointed by the movie as a whole and yes, character, storyline and ending left something to be desired if I were to criticize them. That being said the WOW factor of Prometheus is undeniable. Too ambitious for its length of two hours it did seem disjointed and confusing for those unacquainted with the Alien films. Full of philosophy and homages to other films (the Alien series obviously, but also to 2001, the Thing remake etc) it had me absorbed during and ruminating after viewing. I kept the criticisms in the back of my mind while watching and let the director do his thing and thoroughly enjoyed where he took me. Obviously there were compromises in the production of the film probably foisted on him by the studio (most notably running time constraints) that prevented him from plot and character development (who knows what wound up on the cutting room floor), but for a sci-fi fan there really is no disappointment in this film. Leave the overthinking till after the movie's over. Prometheus IS a worthy prequel but probably will not be considered a classic sci-fi stand alone film. It should be viewed by all sci-fi fans in the theater. and judged on its merits, not its deficiencies. If you have an open mind it won't disappoint. Lets see what comes out on the extended/directors version blu-ray release. Expand
  64. Jun 14, 2012
    If you want to watch Alien, go watch it! If you want to watch something new then stay around for Prometheus. This sci-fi story of finding our creator is beautiful. It is deep and at times to philosophical for some, but if you listen to the last line of Weyland than you can understand the scope of the journey. I really enjoyed it and the action scenes are intense. GO watch it.
  65. Jul 9, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Read the other negatives... this is as bad as serious movies can get, and I enjoyed the red reviews more. There are so many plot holes that it is not even worth analysing them. People seem to make excuses by looking for depth, depth which just isn't there. The symbolism can be summed up in two sentences, or a one word title, which is about the best thing in the film. The dialogue is just mind-bogglingly bad. The beauty of Alien was it's naturalism. People talked like where they were and who they were. This film tries to replicate that, by some pointless bickering between unimportant characters, and some portentous dross from other side characters. You end up wanting to rip everyone's head off to see if they're a robot.

The other excuse people raise is that it looks good. It doesn't. It looks like Armageddon crossed with Dune for 2012... and I mean that in a bad way. Throw in Biff from BTTF (were no actual old people available for the role?), suicidal space jockeys, zombies, attack snakes... and some holograms. Seriously don't start me on the holograms, I can imagine the script session: "We need to move the plot along"
    "How about some holograms of people running away from something?"
    "Won't people notice that makes no sense at all?"
    "Probably not... don't overestimate your audience."
    "Cool, what about learning to start the alien ship?"
    "No problem, we'll use the holograms to show the alien controlling his ship with a flute."
    "You are da man!"

I think my main problem was that I wanted to take it seriously. Had I known going in it was "Alien know what you did last summer" I would have sat back and enjoyed the laughs.
  66. Sep 20, 2012
    It always amazes me how movies and television portray scientists as complete and total buffoons who do all the things a scientists are NOT supposed to do. This movie has that in spades. I just don't understand why Earth would send a bunch of misfits into space who don't know each other on something so incredibly important. Beautiful movie - just stupid and predictable.
  67. Oct 16, 2012
    Filled with beautiful cinematography, beautiful physical affects, and an eerie performance by one of the better actors in the last few years, Michael Fassbender. I did really enjoy this film, as it left many of the questions, like "why were we created", unanswered, so that the people viewing it can find their own answer. I admire Ridley Scott as a filmmaker, and, even though Alien wasFilled with beautiful cinematography, beautiful physical affects, and an eerie performance by one of the better actors in the last few years, Michael Fassbender. I did really enjoy this film, as it left many of the questions, like "why were we created", unanswered, so that the people viewing it can find their own answer. I admire Ridley Scott as a filmmaker, and, even though Alien was catagorically a better film, I feel that Prometheus is the first decent ray of light the Alien franchise has seen since Aliens in the mid 80's. I believe it is one of the better films that came out this year, and with several good performances, largely Fassbender and Idris Elba, make this film definitely a worth-while viewing. This film ought to win an Oscar for simply Cinematography, and if I had my way, Michael Fassbender would have two oscars by now, one for shame, and one for this. His portrayal of the android David was so good, it's a shame it wasn't a better movie, if Sigourney didn't win for Aliens, he won't for this. Overall, a decent movie, although I'd recommend you see the Master, Argo and Moonrise Kingdom before this Sci-Fi adventure. Expand
  68. Jun 9, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This was pretty dumb. The characters took dumb, unexplainable risks. The story was full of holes. There were NO BOLD CHOICES at all. Was the prime motivation immortality or WMDs? What was the point?

Very very disappointing story.
  69. Jun 10, 2012
    Story, characters, ideas, visuals - nothing in Prometheus surprised me. Which is the worst thing you can say about any piece of entertainment. (Gross-outs don't count as genuine surprises.)
  70. Jun 8, 2012
    Good movie even if the die hard alien fanboy's are mad because it was not perfect in anyway.
    Story was good, Acting was good, Plot was good, Visual's are good, Audio was good, Horror was good.
  71. Jun 8, 2012
    Has anyone noticed that this film borrows, to put it very nicely, rather heavily from H.P. Lovecraft? That's not to say I didn't enjoy it. I most certainly did. I have great respect for Scott and have liked almost everything he's done. My problem is, here we go again with not acknowledging where your ideas come from. This after the whole A.E. Van Vogt debacle with the original Alien.Has anyone noticed that this film borrows, to put it very nicely, rather heavily from H.P. Lovecraft? That's not to say I didn't enjoy it. I most certainly did. I have great respect for Scott and have liked almost everything he's done. My problem is, here we go again with not acknowledging where your ideas come from. This after the whole A.E. Van Vogt debacle with the original Alien. Guillermo del Toro tries for years to get a deal together to film At the Mountains of Madness, and here comes Scott and Co., grafting the story onto an Alien prequel, and beats him to the punch. The only significant difference is that the Old Ones are humanoid. I don't really object to recycling old stories for new applications that way, I just wish filmmakers would quit pretending that none of us out here read. Expand
  72. Jun 8, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Here is what I learnt from this prequel to Alien:
    * The elephantine face of the space jockey was a helmet, hiding way more human like traits. The design of the Na'vi had more originality than that.
    * The original facehugger was a giant squid that developed within a woman's uterus after she had sex with a man suffering from a worm infection that had turned another man into a zombie.
    * Even if the music does its best to inspire sadness, distress or urgency, it will only highlight just how bland every scene feels.
  73. Nov 4, 2012
    Its exactly what you expected. Nuff said.
  74. Jun 10, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Possible Spoiler.
    If your an Alien franchise fan this movie helps explain the genesis of the Xenomorphs, at least the early genesis. Still leave a lot of unanswered questions and raises a few more. Overall a solid sci fi film with A LOT going on.
  75. Jun 9, 2012
    Prometheus is a movie I'm deeply split on. On one hand, you have some truly awful writing, cringe-worthy dialogue, and idiotic characters (with the exception Michael Fassbender's performance as the android "David"). However, it's wonderfully creative imagery as well as the exploration of space jockeys give the movie something many films lack: The ability to discuss what was leftPrometheus is a movie I'm deeply split on. On one hand, you have some truly awful writing, cringe-worthy dialogue, and idiotic characters (with the exception Michael Fassbender's performance as the android "David"). However, it's wonderfully creative imagery as well as the exploration of space jockeys give the movie something many films lack: The ability to discuss what was left unanswered. The fact that it's been nearly a full-day since I've seen the movie and I'm still discussing it is a good sign.

In short, Prometheus, despite being marred by bad writing, dumb characters, and poor pacing, is worth a watch.
  76. Jun 11, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I am noticing a lot of people giving this movie bad reviews simply because they lack the cognitive capacity to put two and two together. Most of the people giving prometheus a bad rating are complaining that the movie is full of plot holes. Most of these "plot holes" are actually explained if you pay attention to the movie. Yes there are parts of the story line that were unanswered, or to be continued, but that was the way it was panned. Prometheus was shot beautifully and Noomi Rapace, Michael Fassbender, and Charlize Theron did a wonderful job portraying their characters. I thoroughly enjoyed the story and everything the film had to offer. I highly recommend it. Expand
  77. Jun 9, 2012
    I've never felt this underwhelmed for a film in a while. I'll put it simply: the editing and writing was truly horrible. The only thing that kept me watching was hoping that it would turn around. I did love the visuals and cinematography, but it's kind of hard for the cinematography to become even greater when a shot doesn't last. Acting was also great, but could of been greater ifI've never felt this underwhelmed for a film in a while. I'll put it simply: the editing and writing was truly horrible. The only thing that kept me watching was hoping that it would turn around. I did love the visuals and cinematography, but it's kind of hard for the cinematography to become even greater when a shot doesn't last. Acting was also great, but could of been greater if the story was written better. The end. Expand
  78. Jun 11, 2012
    It was an epic movie. Beautiful, and MUCH more insightful as to what's going on. Not just "AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, KILLER ALIENS!!!!!!!!!!!!", it's taken a great leap into story depth. Ridley Scott is da man.
  79. Jun 10, 2012
    Too many people haven't done their research before posting a review on here. A lot of people are saying that the movie sucks and had great potential. Did it actually suck?

They are giving it such a low score on bases that it wasn't what they expected. People wanted xenomorphs but they didn't get that. Everything is explained, this film is most definitely original and the people that don't understand it are giving it such a low score! This film does not deserve a zero, or a two. Those are ridiculous ratings based solely on what you didn't get within the film.

Just because you don't understand it, doesn't mean that things didn't get answered. They did get answered, it's because you don't understand it to truly see what the answers were!
  80. Jun 10, 2012
    Poor attempt at cobbling together a new mythology. Good sci-fi is rare; this wasn't even close. While alien movies ranged from pure terror, ego-driven, vain militaristic blends and various other facets, they were at least focused. This movie's lofty ideals execute themselves so badly that one wonders if the director had gotten too familiar with his intent that he assumed others seeingPoor attempt at cobbling together a new mythology. Good sci-fi is rare; this wasn't even close. While alien movies ranged from pure terror, ego-driven, vain militaristic blends and various other facets, they were at least focused. This movie's lofty ideals execute themselves so badly that one wonders if the director had gotten too familiar with his intent that he assumed others seeing this would simply see his cohesive sweeping grandness that probably resides in head alone. Not so. Director's costly error. Expand
  81. Jun 12, 2012
    Acting in this movie is bad, there is an uninteresting plot full of senseless and illogical stuff where some of it it's based on premise which is of course nothing new to sci-fi genre. We have an alien DNA, besides all those other crap seen and mentioned - oh come on...

Nothing new there judging by today's Hollywood standards. However the thing that really saddened me the most was

Nothing new there judging by today's Hollywood standards.

However the thing that really saddened me the most was the unstoppable raping of HR Giger's design which is obviously something that in the mind of Ridley Scott should make this film looking interesting, looking ''alien'' . But he pretty much failed there as well. Why? Because he already used it once when he used it with the purpose in the first alien.
    Trying to repeat that effect is just silly and it can easily be compared with what Lucas did with raping SW saga.
    Regarding that ''Bumblebee'' design of Prometheus I wont even talk about. That kind of design totally doesn't fits this movie.

It seems that even the greatest directors don't know when to stop.

I'm giving this movie 1/10 only because the first 3 minutes of this movie were very interesting and original which confirms the fact that a good movie can still be made.
  82. Jun 16, 2012
    this film is basically genius. Whether it's worth a ten or not, i do not particularly know right know. However, there is so many things in this film left unexplained, with so many theories.. it really is clever. I reckon over time the usual 'alien fan-boys' will dissect every single part of it too make sense. they are not what idiotic 'critics' call plot holes, really are not plotholes.this film is basically genius. Whether it's worth a ten or not, i do not particularly know right know. However, there is so many things in this film left unexplained, with so many theories.. it really is clever. I reckon over time the usual 'alien fan-boys' will dissect every single part of it too make sense. they are not what idiotic 'critics' call plot holes, really are not plotholes. people didn't read watchmen and say 'stupid book about spandex wearers' no, it was much more than that. Scott just doesn't give you everything, and that's what i believe he intended too do.

however. if you are your general b-movie watcher, you will absolutely hate this film. it has practically been created for alien fanboys, and philosophers. if you have no idea of the alien franchise, and have a low IQ.. this film will definitely not be for you. This is almost Scott's way of saying thank you too the fans.

also from an ignorant angle, the effects were **** awesome.
    however, there
  83. Jun 8, 2012
    Prometheus was what I expected.. Great nostalgic sci-fi movie! Directing and visual effects are fabulous, plot itself is interesting, personally I'm very curious about how life began on earth/universe. I'm doubtful that first scene of Prometheus is the real answer, but it pleases me. Very good film and wanted part for Alien franchise. I want sequel!
  84. Jun 8, 2012
    Stop reading reviews and go see it. You'll spoil it for yourself and the internet hipsters will screw with your perception of a film that's sure to go down in history as a masterpiece. GO.
  85. Jun 8, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I thought this movie was excellent! It is a great science fiction movie that blends Ancient Alien theories and current biotechnology concerns. Some parts of the plot are left open to interpretation, and viewers who wish to have closure in their films might not enjoy that particular feature. I had high expectations for many months before seeing this film. I followed some fan sites that leaked parts of the movie, and was disappointed with what I read there. However, the delivery and screen adaptation of those ideas were excellent. Expand
  86. Jun 10, 2012
    PROMETHEUS: feh to meh. Kinda turgid. Doesn't know what it wants to be, as though plot strands ended up on the cutting room floor. Meandering, no real suspense save for one scene. With few exceptions, pretty lackluster performances, though the actors need to be extended some credit for being saddled with lame, underwritten characters. And why dress Guy Pearce up in freshman year old manPROMETHEUS: feh to meh. Kinda turgid. Doesn't know what it wants to be, as though plot strands ended up on the cutting room floor. Meandering, no real suspense save for one scene. With few exceptions, pretty lackluster performances, though the actors need to be extended some credit for being saddled with lame, underwritten characters. And why dress Guy Pearce up in freshman year old man makeup when you could get, like, a real old man?? Pretty awful, imho. (Upon reflection, obviously there must have been footage of a young Guy Pearce that didn't make the final print. Even more laziness; my g.f. and I sat there the entire time thinking "why is this guy MADE UP??") Good to know: $200+ million and you can still suck. Expand
  87. Jun 8, 2012
    Cinematography does not make a great movie. While there are beautiful scenes and landscapes, as well as imaginative displays of future technology, the plot drags this movie into Hades - an apt reference, considering one of the main issues with this film is it's half-baked ideology and the decision of the writers to not even fully explore or develop this history.

Which is it? An action

Which is it? An action film? A sci-fi philosophy film in the Aliens universe? Whatever the writers were trying to accomplish, they stopped trying after 60 minutes.

The movie feels as if the writers got to about an hour's worth of the script, and then just spitballed it from there. The acting has some bright points, but that's guaranteed based on the caliber of some of the actors (Noomi Rapace does her best with this seriously flawed script. Idris Elba and Michael Fassbender, as always, are great).

This movie deserves 3 out of 10 stars. More enthusiastic reviews have to be basing their review on previous movies in the series, because this was a film with great, but squandered, potential.
  88. Oct 5, 2012
    so.... its the "Future" and we still have people wearing glasses, walking in flip flops around a trillion dollar spaceship, smoking and lets not forget the catholic relgion still lives on! riiight... lol and best part of all? why dont we cut open a womans stomach and have her being chased, have her jump huge leaps and perform super stunts with her freshly stiched up stomach... This movieso.... its the "Future" and we still have people wearing glasses, walking in flip flops around a trillion dollar spaceship, smoking and lets not forget the catholic relgion still lives on! riiight... lol and best part of all? why dont we cut open a womans stomach and have her being chased, have her jump huge leaps and perform super stunts with her freshly stiched up stomach... This movie is a JOKE, and a bore to watch. nothing get resolved. on the plus side? amazing special effects, and the cinematography is great as well. Visually, the movie is great. Nothing ELSE! Expand
  89. Jun 13, 2012
    **Possible spoiler but maybe not really, but so was the trailer*** What were you expecting? True lies? Half life? Transformers? Alien 5? Care Bears in Space? This is not a remake, nor a direct prequel. I expected the movie to be mysterious and interesting and completely unknown excpect for the fact that it was set before the event of Alien, in which universe i expected it to set. I'm so**Possible spoiler but maybe not really, but so was the trailer*** What were you expecting? True lies? Half life? Transformers? Alien 5? Care Bears in Space? This is not a remake, nor a direct prequel. I expected the movie to be mysterious and interesting and completely unknown excpect for the fact that it was set before the event of Alien, in which universe i expected it to set. I'm so glad that Peter mother-fukking Cullen didn't do a narration with Optimus Prime explaining the time before time (although he's very talented, would be completely out of place in this movie - despite many half-wit viewers needing such hand-holding). Prometheus is, what i believe, to be the first of several Alien stories that prelude the original movie. This is not another alien or mission to mars story, it's THE Alien story. Pay close attention to everything within this movie. Is this a review section or an explanation message board? So there are a few stupid moments, namely the biologist looking for a root with the alien worm. It could have happened another way with different dialogue but the premise would still be the same: two guys messing about in the egg chamber and that's how they got infected. Remember the beginning, how the Alien started out, as a virus. It could have been a military experiment gone wrong or just with serious containment issues. Maybe the "Engineer" in the pod wasn't really human, maybe not. Was he there to await the scientist and determine their nature if hostile? Most people reviewing this movie giving it low scores didn't actually understand the movie, that it was a science fiction STORY, not a face paced action thriller with all guns blazing. They already made that movie, it's called Aliens or Tron. Sometimes it's like working with children, you take as many shots as you can get in the time frame available, and take the best one. This movie is, like the original Alien and subsequent movies, about a monolithic Corporation using young college graduates to explore and secure an alien world so that the mission specific andriod - played perfectly my Micheal Fassbander - can recover the specimen for what ever military/scientific/monetary purposes back on Earth. It's fairly obvious there will be movies that follow this one, that may answer some questions from this film. This movie is great, fantastic, amazing, deep, and thought provoking. In the book of the original, the SOS distress signal coming from the planet was not an SOS, but a warning. This movie is also set in a fictional future, where completely new attitudes and technology exist. Just like any other movie, go see it twice because you get more out of it the second time. Prometheus is what it is and what it is, is not perfect, but perfect enough for a very entertaining movie. And just so you know, it's based on a true story of actual events! Expand
  90. Jun 10, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Rather than explicitly deliver the plot to the viewer in tight punchlines, this movie flows from one rich template to the next...and the plot unfolds without pausing for the laugh track. When its over, you are left with the intriguing question: why do these Romanesque demi-gods who've engineered themselves into perfect physical specimens...and who've engineered the development of a mirror species (us), why on earth do they design this biological weapon to destroy mankind (their own creation) approximately 100 years after the crucifixion?

What are the parallels between them, human civilization, our destruction, and they symbol of Rapace's crucifix? Could Ridley Scott be tying everything together? Could earth be an outpost for their empire...and when our civilization chose something other than the regimented slave-system of the Roman Empire, this did not fit into their plans for a new colony?

There are a billion intriguing ideas, and only a few clues...

One of the best movies in years, IMO, and even if it is not widely praised, I think it will have a spot on many "best sci-fi movie" lists for a long, long time.
  91. Jun 10, 2012
    empty and pretentious all at once! there must be a better version out there than this one, i.e. the director's cut. otherwise, how could one make a movie out of such an empty and crappy script?

multiple discontinuities, no character development other than that of the android, so many contradictions, blah blah blah.

what a waste of $12.
  92. Jun 12, 2012
    The special effects & 3D are ok, but the storyline is slack and muddled, unlike Alien. The characters are poorly developed: Charlize Theron is totally wasted and Noomi Rapace is nowhere close to her performances in "The Girl Who" (Swedish version). Michael Fassbender lamely reprises Hal from 2001 and/or Ash from Alien. Really disappointing.
  93. Jun 10, 2012
    Brilliant film, it is not as Scary as it should have been but it makes up for it in it's awe inspiring cinematography, locations, visuals and pretty much everything else. The story is great, a massive fan service.
  94. Jun 10, 2012
    Wow! Oh, wow. I just returned from the theater and I think my head is still in outer space. No kidding, the special effects and sound in this movie are ramped up to such intensity, it will take you a while to adjust after the first time you see it, too. Hang on to your popcorn. You're in for a ride.

This movie deals with the theme that life may have come from other planets. Was it benevolent? Was it intelligent? Did it have the potential for peace or death? The answer may be, all of the above. A group of humans and an android take a massive craft to the site of a possible civilization. They are out to see whether it was the source of human culture. They are so optimistic, in fact, that notions of potential difficulties don't stop them. Soon they're on the planet, and searching through what seems to be an inhabited mountain. Is anything still down there? The viewer familiar with the rest of the Alien series will recognize the wry nods to the characters down the road. There is the smart-aleck humanoid robot, the eager explorers, and those who are skeptical of the whole thing. I won't tell you too much, since this is one of those stories that's so elaborate, and has such momentum, you really have to see it for yourself. Although I was frustrated by some of the plot twists, of which some are explained and others just aren't, it's clear that this film is a complex, supercharged thrill ride. Fans of science fiction will be agog with happiness over the dark storyline and the special effects. Those who like horror will understand the relentless fear that follows you all through the film. If the entire movie feels as if you are scurrying down a tunnel, it's because much of the time, you are. Good versus evil is always a worthwhile theme. In this movie, although it's not always clear what constitutes winning or losing, the battle is a heck of a thing to watch.
  95. Jun 10, 2012
    If one can't keep up with the subtext of what's going on in the film, they are going to come away completely disappointed and confused by Prometheus. If you have the chops to hang in there, though, the film is a fantastic, and important, exploration into the nature of human existence. Make no mistake, the monsters and horror of this film exist SOLELY to support the existential quest thatIf one can't keep up with the subtext of what's going on in the film, they are going to come away completely disappointed and confused by Prometheus. If you have the chops to hang in there, though, the film is a fantastic, and important, exploration into the nature of human existence. Make no mistake, the monsters and horror of this film exist SOLELY to support the existential quest that is the root of the story. If you are expecting a film about aliens who kill people, you won't be satisfied. (Even if aliens to spectacularly kill people) Expand
  96. Jun 17, 2012
    The greatest sci-fi film this past decade. Simply unbelievable. This film is imho on equal par with Alien and Aliens in terms of pure excellence, quality and entertainment. The story has many layers, interwoven so successfully and ties into the original Alien very well. I can understand the many poor reviews here, but really, any film that tackles the origin of mankind is up againstThe greatest sci-fi film this past decade. Simply unbelievable. This film is imho on equal par with Alien and Aliens in terms of pure excellence, quality and entertainment. The story has many layers, interwoven so successfully and ties into the original Alien very well. I can understand the many poor reviews here, but really, any film that tackles the origin of mankind is up against all odds; but Scott did justice to the film, the franchise, all while entertaining. There are many unanswered questions but Scott did this intentionally to make the viewers think - it was done right and made me appreciate the film even more. You also need to have watched Alien to truly appreciate this film. The one and only draw back of Prometheus is the crew - i.e a mission into space of this caliber and of historical importance would require a team of top professionals, no less. Very much not in this case, but the character David stole the spot light - just spectacular character building. I do hope there will be a director's cut to give more insight into the film - there is easily 30 min of story telling that would make this film even more complete. I saw this in regular 3D and now plan to see it again but in IMAX 3D. The visuals and the cinematography are simply jaw dropping. I truly hope that an IMAX version comes out on blu-ray. I normally don't anticipate bluray releases, but for Prometheus I can barely wait....really can't wait!!! Expand
  97. Jun 8, 2012
    I went into the movie hoping, but not expecting. Many of the nuances of the film will be lost on those who haven't seen Alien, but unlike Alien, this is not a "horror/ shocker" film. It is a proper science fiction film with a bit of the Alien-style shocking scenes. Unlike others, I believe a true Sci-Fi fan will love the questions posed in Alien being answered here, especially after soI went into the movie hoping, but not expecting. Many of the nuances of the film will be lost on those who haven't seen Alien, but unlike Alien, this is not a "horror/ shocker" film. It is a proper science fiction film with a bit of the Alien-style shocking scenes. Unlike others, I believe a true Sci-Fi fan will love the questions posed in Alien being answered here, especially after so many years of mystery (besides that's what makes Serenity so great). Whilst Noomi Rapace (lead female role) isn't as strong a character as Sigourney Weaver, this film still has beautiful touches of Ridley Scott that made Alien and Blade Runner so great. This won't go down as a classic in the same way those films did (primarily because of the cult status and high expectations), but it is a great prequel. I think those who are knocking it should go back and watch Alien and Blade Runner. Those similarly slow paced and atmospheric; something we really aren't used to in Sci-Fi films nowadays (but just another element of what made those films great). Expand
  98. Jun 9, 2012
    Fantastic visuals. Great acting. Doesnt answer the main questions it ask but whos to say it had to? One of the best Sci-fi movies in a LONG time. Best IMAX movie ive ever seen!
  99. Jun 11, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. First of all I like to say that this movie is not like Alien or even Aliens. The cinematography is outstanding and the 3D brings it out even more. I would recommend 2D and just imagine how it looks in 3D.

Yes it is a prequel and here is a question to everyone. Don't you believe there will always be unanswered questions to the origins of human life? This movie is meant about to reflect your own ideals about how we came on Earth. This is probably a spoiler but during the movie Noomi's character was tested about her own beliefs with God even to the point that they accused her of abandoning her own belief. Her cross was taken during the movie due to her Medical attention and at the end of the movie she got her cross back from the android David. She was offer to go back to Earth but she still wanted to seek out the questions on why and how these Aliens came to Earth and created humans.

There are bits of other stuff in this movie that are related to the Alien movies. The thing that came out of Noomi's character would be the face hugger, the Alien that came out of the chest would be the chest burster and the space jockey/engineer are part of the relationship to the other Alien films.

Wonderful movie but not for everyone.
  100. Jun 18, 2012
    Prometheus is not a bad film, it's just not a good film. The production design by Arthur Max is creative and simply incredible, the 3D is great and Michael Fassbender is fantastic as a robot. With all that said, the screenplay is what doesn't work in Prometheus. It's sometimes confusing and sometimes predictable, the characters aren't really good developed, apart from David (MichaelPrometheus is not a bad film, it's just not a good film. The production design by Arthur Max is creative and simply incredible, the 3D is great and Michael Fassbender is fantastic as a robot. With all that said, the screenplay is what doesn't work in Prometheus. It's sometimes confusing and sometimes predictable, the characters aren't really good developed, apart from David (Michael Fassbender), and some scenes are well written, but bad on camera. At the end, Prometheus is just a poorly connection to Alien. Expand

1. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Jun 11, 2012
    Scott may always have had an eye on the box office, but from "Alien" and "Thelma & Louise" on, he has made women into heroines. In that regard, he's still ahead of the curve. Rapace's scene is a classic of its kind; it tops John Hurt's notorious misfortunes in "Alien."
    It's a different sort of experience: a stately, somewhat plodding but endurable science-fiction saga.
    There's definite mastery here, but it's hardly a masterpiece.