Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation | Release Date: June 8, 2012
Generally favorable reviews based on 1969 Ratings
1,186
WATCH NOW
gabbygabJun 4, 2017
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. For me this is the last great sci-fi (in a classic sense) that will be made, as only brain-dead big budget movies are made. As the sequel kills everything that was good in it, as if it did not exist, although having the largest incomes in the series, I can only take goodbye to you good friend as i can't view again your ending. Expand
PluutozzMay 30, 2017
Very interesting space epic featuring Noomi Rapace and Michael Fassbender, set in the Alien universe, which the director Ridley Scott helped create. Not a perfect film, it has some obvious flaws. It does bring down the score from a 10. TheVery interesting space epic featuring Noomi Rapace and Michael Fassbender, set in the Alien universe, which the director Ridley Scott helped create. Not a perfect film, it has some obvious flaws. It does bring down the score from a 10. The film is beautifully shot (filmed at locations such as Iceland) and mostly very well acted. Quite scary at times aswell. 3d is usually top notch. The film Prometheus might require multiple viewings and even research to grasb everything going on in it. One nice thing is to research different theories of the film, what everything means and also conecpt art and what went on during production and what "could have been". I particulary love the opening of the film and the finale. This movie was "dubbed" most disapointing film of the year 2012, might actually be true I don't know. Weird since it is such a well made movie. I expected nothing going in to see this film at the theatre and I found myself loving it. Expand
TacticzMay 25, 2017
Prometheus gave me something that I never got in previous Alien films, exploration. I'm not saying this movie is better than Alien or Aliens, but I love the exploration in this movie. Prometheus also shows that we don't need xenomorphs in anPrometheus gave me something that I never got in previous Alien films, exploration. I'm not saying this movie is better than Alien or Aliens, but I love the exploration in this movie. Prometheus also shows that we don't need xenomorphs in an Alien movie for it to be great. I loved how this movie expanded the Alien universe and I can't wait to see more world building in future Alien movies. Expand
7ShadesOfEffortMay 25, 2017
Despite being so revolutionary Aliens franchise became pretty stale and worn out over the years. Each movie had its unique vibe due to variety of directors that were working on it, but technically they were all same. First movie was not onlyDespite being so revolutionary Aliens franchise became pretty stale and worn out over the years. Each movie had its unique vibe due to variety of directors that were working on it, but technically they were all same. First movie was not only good horror movie, it was one of the greatest movies about fist contact and sequels lost that thrill of exploration of something unknown and mysterious, they did not really expand lore or mythology of Aliens universe.
Fortunately, Prometheus brought this exciting feeling back. From all 6 movies released to date it did biggest contribution to Aliens' lore and that's not only about quantity. Concepts of engineers and black goo are very fresh and interesting, and supported by great designs and exceptional quality of all visual effects.
But the most important Prometheus' contribution to Aliens franchise is its thematic expansion. All previous movies were purely about death while Prometheus explores themes of life and creation, bringing new tones to the canvas of franchise. Contrast of typical horror tension and peaceful majestic views gives this movie very unique atmosphere.
It was hard for me to accept Prometheus the first time I watched it. I had exaggerated expectations while not knowing what to expect at all. It surely had some flaws that didn't allow me to enjoy it, especially from my fanboy's perspective. Disproportionate exposition made some characters look pretty brain-damaged while they were just usual expendable meat typical for horror movies, and most of deaths felt pretty anticlimactic because of that. «Thanks» to Lindelof I guess? However, all actors did great job depicting their characters (even at their dumbest moments), especially Fassbender, who eventually hijacked the role of protagonist. His character, android David, deserves special attention because it's one of the most well-written AI characters I've ever seen in sci-fi, which was kinda unexpected from Alien franchise since it didn't really focused much on synthetics before. Oh, and just for the record: I don't care about people taking off their helmets and touching weird-looking lifeforms on alien planets in the movie where spaceships have Earth gravity and fly faster than light. Scientific authenticity in Aliens was always on Star Trek level so don't try to look smarter than you really are and stay open-minded so you'll be able to enjoy this glorious masterpiece. This KINO. Movie-Parable. Movie-Revelation.

7 out of 7: not for average mind.
tremaultMay 25, 2017
I really like the characters in this, I really feel like I got to know them. The film has a lot of beauty in it and a lot of intrigue. Some people don't like the religious overtones, but for me, I can take it or leave it. It's just a subI really like the characters in this, I really feel like I got to know them. The film has a lot of beauty in it and a lot of intrigue. Some people don't like the religious overtones, but for me, I can take it or leave it. It's just a sub element of the main draw of this film which is the lovely cinematography and the intriguing characters. Personally, I see this film as the truest successor to Alien, as being made by the same person, it retains the pacing and the beauty of the shots. Expand
BorgorosMay 25, 2017
This Movie gets better and better after each time i watch it. The mystics, artwork, music, characters, thrills. Lays solic and exciting groundwork for more to come. Well crafted sci-fi from a director that knows what he is doing.
JPKMay 11, 2017
This is one creepy movie
This is one creepy movie
I know a lot don't like this movie, but i do because the story is decently told and the atmosphere is very chilling. Michael Fassbender is f*cking brilliant as David The Android. In conclusion, Prometheus is one chilling spectacle.
TrailesqueMar 9, 2017
This sci-fi horror flick packs a punch in the form of mind-blowing effects and a weird, dark story. This film got into my dreams, and not in a good way. The set design, which draws on the work of artist H.R. Giger, has something to do withThis sci-fi horror flick packs a punch in the form of mind-blowing effects and a weird, dark story. This film got into my dreams, and not in a good way. The set design, which draws on the work of artist H.R. Giger, has something to do with that. There are unforgettable moments, like the super-human fighting the mighty octopus thing and eventually being devoured by it. There is hardly anyone or anything to root for here. The story is pretty unclear in spots - things happen for no good reason, and it is hard to get a good grasp on what is really going on. The characters are cold and unpleasant, and even the android has a hidden agenda. SPOILER ALERT. This involves a visit to a distant planet where a superior humanoid race has died off for some unclear reason. The reason turns out to be (probably) the super-powerful reptiles that they apparently were experimenting with, and this nasty master race turns out to be our progenitors! But they don't like us much, and seemingly want to come to our fair planet and take over. Things build slowly but culminate in an orgy of weird violence that leaves all the characters but two dead. Prepare to see people's bodies violated in seriously gross ways.

I suppose I am coming at this from a different perspective because I have not seen a movie from the Alien series in many years, and while I thought there might be a connection, it wasn't until after watching it that someone told me Prometheus is Ridley Scott's prequel to the Alien flicks. The title is a little misleading since I did not observe much connection the classic myth of the same name. But some of the images from this have clearly wormed their way into my psyche, and that is a sign of quality imo.
HelloWorld2012Dec 17, 2016
The visuals are great and I found the plot of finding our creators interesting and new. The character decisions and plot points that are constantly brought up about this film did not bother me but if you want characters to always be rationalThe visuals are great and I found the plot of finding our creators interesting and new. The character decisions and plot points that are constantly brought up about this film did not bother me but if you want characters to always be rational look elsewhere. Expand
kreegan64Aug 26, 2016
This movie stands as a breath of fresh air compared to the dank, horrible slew of films that came before it. From the face palm worthy AvP movies to the laughably bad resurrection and boring Alien 3 this is the best movie in the series sinceThis movie stands as a breath of fresh air compared to the dank, horrible slew of films that came before it. From the face palm worthy AvP movies to the laughably bad resurrection and boring Alien 3 this is the best movie in the series since the first. It finally tries to answer the big question about the Alien and their origin (if only partially) rather than try to tack on more convoluted garbage for cheap thrills and big bucks. Sadly, this movie is far from perfect, and does a lot of what the first one does in that it provides more questions than answers, and there are glaring plot holes and questionable choices, but what can one expect after the series had nothing but drivel for decades to try and fix up or cover over. It still stands head and shoulders above the laughable (and admittedly enjoyable) predecessors. Like I said before it's not perfect, no, far from it; but it still seems to be that much taller when compared to what came before. With Scott back behind the wheel, I can imagine the expansion on the xenomorph, the world, and others will finally go somewhere, and not continue drifting off into space where no one can hear it. Expand
sefrabuJun 20, 2016
Not an "Alien" movie for sure, but a sci-fi at its best. There are less and less space opera blockbusters not focused on laser fire, and this is one of those rare beauties.
aadityamudharApr 19, 2016
Ever since I saw the first teaser trailer for this film, I have been very excited. Sadly, I think that my expectations were too high going into this film. The movie ended up not being bad, but it wasn't as amazing as I had hoped it to be. TheEver since I saw the first teaser trailer for this film, I have been very excited. Sadly, I think that my expectations were too high going into this film. The movie ended up not being bad, but it wasn't as amazing as I had hoped it to be. The movie had strong acting, but weak characters. It is a tense movie, but it fails to recapture the quiet tension of Alien, although it doesn't really try to. Overall, the movie was hampered by a poor script that needed more time to develop the characters and to strengthen the plot. I hope that if they do make a sequel, they are able to learn from mistakes because if they do, it could be a truly great film. I enjoyed the film, but was let down by it nonetheless. I had hoped that the movie would better expand upon the mythos of the Alien Universe but instead, it only muddled it more. Still, there were some fun treats for fans of the original and I would still recommend seeing it, just go into it with lower expectations than I did. Expand
sicranoApr 8, 2016
............................................................................................................................Very Underrated A Awesome entry and chapter to this prestigious Franchise...
FilmClubMar 27, 2016
Although Ridley Scott’s 3D visual feast is no classic, the oozing alien tentacles hit all the right sci-fi horror notes.

Be careful what you wish for, especially if it involves figuring out who invented humankind. That's the warning at

That's the warning at the heart of Prometheus, a visual feast of a 3D sci-fi movie that has trouble combining its high-minded notions about the origins of the species and its Alien-based obligation to deliver oozy gross-out moments. Ridley Scott's third venture into science fiction, after Alien in 1979 and Blade Runner in 1982, won't become a genre benchmark like those classics despite its equivalent seriousness and ambition, but it does supply enough visual spectacle, tense action and sticky, slithery monster attacks to hit the spot with thrill-seeking audiences worldwide.

The Greek titan Prometheus got in trouble for stealing fire from Zeus and putting man on the same level as the gods. Presuming that humans won't rest until we discover where we came from and how we got here, Prometheus proposes that not very long from now, in 2093 to be precise, a plausible source of human life will not only be found but reached by space explorers backed, not surprisingly, by private, not government, interests.

The striking opening sequence (shot in Iceland) reveals scientist Elizabeth Shaw (Noomi Rapace, the original Girl With the Dragon Tattoo) discovering ancient cave paintings indicating the likely arrival on Earth of extraterrestrials many thousands of years ago. Such evidence points to the source as a moon in a small solar system a vast distance away, but not out of reach of a trillion-dollar spacecraft built by Weyland Industries.

The buildup and arrival are the best part of the film, suggesting a sense of inquiry and genuine sort of thoughtfulness that promise a truly weighty slice of speculative fiction. Not that this territory hasn't been amply mined in the past: In fact, the particulars of the ship's interior design, visual projections, hibernating crew members, sports workout routines and Michael Fassbender's robot character as a sort of ambulatory HAL with an obsession to look and speak like Peter O'Toole in Lawrence of Arabia, which he likes to watch, are unavoidably reminiscent of 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Little by little, however, elements of other, less philosophical films come into play, including Fantastic Voyage, Rosemary's Baby and, inevitably, Alien. Arriving on the rugged, outwardly lifeless moon, the 17 crew members notice pyramid-like structures that were clearly not fashioned by nature. Inside, the elaborate tunnels and chambers possess moisture, elaborate writing, a large statue of a human head and, more alarming, countless small cylinders that produce a sticky mud-like substance, and an apparent human head.

It doesn't take long for the crew's number to be reduced by untoward circumstances, nor for doubt to set in about the true agenda not only of Fassbender's David, who can be quietly amusing, but of Charlize Theron's Meredith Vickers, the chilly Weyland executive on board who condescendingly treats everyone else, including the ship's captain (Idris Elba), as vastly inferior employees.

Elizabeth and her scientist boyfriend Charlie (Logan Marshall-Green) continue to spar about the potential momentousness of their journey -- she, who wears a cross, hopes to find confirmation of her religious beliefs that will point to the existence of a traditional creator, while he is convinced that what they discover will merely prove once and for all that Darwin was right. But such rarefied considerations are thrown overboard when aliens start materializing, shooting their tentacles where you definitely don't want them, getting someone pregnant and otherwise causing the same sort of mayhem they always have in outer-space monster films.

As the survivors are pared down to a precious few, the grisliness and gross-out quotient increases; a self-inflicted cesarian section may be a screen first (certainly the result of it is), while Fassbender's fate is similarly imaginative and far funnier. This project started life as an intended prequel to Alien but morphed into something else. Unfortunately, the closer it comes to a climax, the more you feel the elements being lined up to set the stage for a sequel to this film, most of all in a coda that feels like a craven teaser trailer for the next installment.

Blonded up, perfect of diction and elegant of body, Fassbender seems almost alarmingly neutered at first as the ship's all-purpose valet but excels as he's allowed to begin injecting droll comedy into his performance.

Technically, Prometheus is magnificent. Shot in 3D but without the director taking the process into account in his conceptions or execution, the film absorbs and uses the process seamlessly.

A visually stunning return to science fiction by Ridley Scott caters too much to audience expectations when more imaginative boldness would have taken it further.
ChikatiloZMar 26, 2016
Michael Fassbender is in it, I would rate it 12/10 if I could. Anything with Michael Fassbender in it is genious, the man is a genious actor. Thank the heavens for mr. Fassbender
BrandonBonaseraMar 8, 2016
I am going to be honest, I loved this film. The film is fun, intense, beautifully directed and has plenty of interesting ideas. But, looking back at the film, some characters make some really dumb decisions.
EpicLadySpongeFeb 21, 2016
Ridley Scott returns to make such and such movies like Prometheus. It's something you could watch nonstop without getting bored of it and it's plain drama will keep you entertaining.
lizardking420Feb 7, 2016
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. ridley scott read my mind. always thought the future would be likethis. even had aomeone named promethoues as a leader, id fivufe an athiest with a tin foil hat like south park but its actually a black guy. great effects. nothing to far out. oh and its actually a prolouge tp alien. csnt beqt that. Expand
CineAutoctonoJan 9, 2016
" Prometheus " made promise himself as a sequel to Alien , to nice, quasi- sequel, they have not managed to connect with the magnificent film of the year 1979, but the performance of the protagonists was immeasurable.
TLHGDec 16, 2015
Prometheus is definitely worth watching: nive premise, awesome visuals and action scenes, very atmospheric and entertaining. There is ONE major problem with this movie (and I blame the writer for it). The movie simply does not stand on itsPrometheus is definitely worth watching: nive premise, awesome visuals and action scenes, very atmospheric and entertaining. There is ONE major problem with this movie (and I blame the writer for it). The movie simply does not stand on its own! Two things make me enjoy this movie so much: (1) I love Ridley Scott's Alien and Cameron's Aliens and I have been expecting explanations for the first scene in Scott's thriller for a long time, and (2) I am counting on the (already announced) sequence to complete this movie. In other words, what makes me like this movie is its connection to Alien and the expectation of a successful sequence. So if you watch this movie, make sure to watch the first Alien movie before doing so and keep in mind that the story does not end here. . . They better make an excellent job in the sequence, otherwise they will not only make a new bad movie, but also ruin this one.. Expand
FilmQueenOct 10, 2015
This movie is very thought-provoking. Michael Fassbender's performance of David, the android is particularly good and it's also a very interesting character. The film is beautiful visually and the amazing soundtrack creates an otherworldlyThis movie is very thought-provoking. Michael Fassbender's performance of David, the android is particularly good and it's also a very interesting character. The film is beautiful visually and the amazing soundtrack creates an otherworldly mood. All in all, I think it's amazing and definitely worth to watch. Expand
grandpajoe6191Aug 30, 2015
"Prometheus" is a mixed bag of beans. The plot kinda does get far-fetched to some senses, but the action and visuals Ridley Scott presents us are top-notch quality. Overall, it does meet the 'enjoyable' standard, but not by much.
adpirtleMay 30, 2015
I've never understood the loathing that this film generated with a significant minority of the viewing public. I found it to be both beautiful and thought-provoking, with extremely good performances by Michael Fassbender, Noomi Rapace,I've never understood the loathing that this film generated with a significant minority of the viewing public. I found it to be both beautiful and thought-provoking, with extremely good performances by Michael Fassbender, Noomi Rapace, Charlize Theron, and Idris Elba. It's certainly not perfect, of course. Sean Harris and Rafe Spall's characters are deservedly mocked by many viewers as two of the dimmest scientists in cinema history. To be fair, the film never attempted to portray them as particularly bright, but I was left wondering how the pair landed such an important gig. Perhaps Weyland blew the budget on his gorgeous spacecraft and had to skimp on the staffing. That moderate criticism aside, it's still very good science fiction, and I'm very much looking forward to its 2017 sequel. Expand
Epik_NinnjaMay 23, 2015
I have watched this movie a couple times and I understand the criticism. Some of the characters make stupid decisions and some parts are just...well, stupid. Still, I liked the movie. It was suspenseful, imaginative(with good CGI), and itI have watched this movie a couple times and I understand the criticism. Some of the characters make stupid decisions and some parts are just...well, stupid. Still, I liked the movie. It was suspenseful, imaginative(with good CGI), and it drew on Alien in a lot of ways (that's meant as a compliment). Too bad they're apparently not making a sequel (either that or they're taking forever to do so). Well, like it or not, that's my opinion. Expand
CinemaSinsMay 9, 2015
In 1979, science fiction was thriving, but the movie community, becoming gorged on lightweight space opera fare like Star Wars, was unprepared for what Ridley Scott delivered with Alien, which was as much horror as it was sci-fi. Since theIn 1979, science fiction was thriving, but the movie community, becoming gorged on lightweight space opera fare like Star Wars, was unprepared for what Ridley Scott delivered with Alien, which was as much horror as it was sci-fi. Since the iconic xenomorph made its debut, it has been overused to the point where there's little left to excite a serious filmmaker. James Cameron's Aliens was the only sequel to build effectively upon the foundation laid by Scott. The lazy and disappointing Alien 3 and the lackluster Alien Resurrection degraded the brand - a brand that was utterly destroyed by the Alien vs. Predator abominations. So, when Scott expressed a desire to return to the Alien universe, it came as no surprise that he wanted to avoid doing another Alien movie, although the temptation not to fully sever the umbilical cord was too great. Prometheus is a prequel that works as a stand-alone but offers added benefits to those familiar with the Alien series. Is it a worthy addition to a franchise that has been unable to boast a genuinely satisfying entry in more than 25 years? That depends on what you're expecting.

Prometheus is not without problems but, for the most part, they are problems that result from overreaching rather than playing it safe. In a strange way, I was reminded of Tree of Life. Scott takes chances and some of his choices don't work, but the movie is never uninteresting. Prometheus is more cerebral than I expected, and that's a good thing. It weighs more heavily on familiar science fiction conceits than action, adventure, thriller, or horror elements. In fact, some of the "monster moments" seem almost to have been shoehorned to elevate the energy level and keep things from becoming too talky.

Prometheus has a little too much going on. It's a story of big ideas and, as is often the case with movies designed to be about something, the human characters are marginalized. Even the best developed of them is a little two-dimensional and many of the secondary characters are defined only by recognizable traits. It's difficult to argue that any of the individuals in Prometheus has what could be considered a satisfying character arc. One of the principals (think: tall, blond) in particular is cheated. The film also deals with the genesis of the alien, although that in some ways is a tangential element. Although Prometheus has a lot of hooks that lead to Alien, a direct sequel to this movie would likely go in another direction. The conclusion of Prometheus gets things to where they need to be at the start of the 1979 movie. If there's no Prometheus 2, it won't leave a gap in the Alien chronology.

Watching Prometheus in 3-D, I was strongly reminded of how different a native 3-D production is from a converted one. Scott is one of only a handful of filmmakers to film a major motion picture in 3-D and the visual quality is striking. Prometheus' 3-D creates a sense of depth and detail that even the best 3-D conversion cannot come close to replicating. What's more, because Scott compensates for the dimness of the glasses, the movie never descends into a murky mess. It's a crisp, clear experience entirely unlike about 90% of what's out there being touted as 3-D. Prometheus, like Avatar and Hugo, shows that, when used as a tool and not a money-grubbing gimmick, there is a place for 3-D in today's movies. Unfortunately, it takes directors like Cameron, Scorsese, and now Scott to find the "sweet spot." Although I have no doubt that Prometheus will work in 2-D, the 3-D is worth the extra money; it enhances, rather than degrades, the experience.

It's easy to forecast Prometheus' biggest obstacle: getting audiences to buy into adult science fiction with a movie that is being touted as an Alien prequel. On the sci-fi spectrum, Prometheus is a lot closer to 2001 than it is to Alien vs. Predator. Viewers should understand what they're getting; it has less to do with action and shock killings (although there are a few of those) than with an exploration of space as a means of learning about what it means to be human. This is intentionally a very different movie from Alien; Scott consciously did not repeat himself, except perhaps in small doses. One could argue that Prometheus has more in common with Scott's other iconic science fiction endeavor, Blade Runner, than with Alien. Whatever its pedigree, however, one thing is clear: Prometheus is the antithesis of the "big, dumb summer movie." Its visuals and special effects can stand toe-to-toe with any of the season's spectacles, but are audiences ready for something with an intelligent, thought-provoking screenplay where the action is secondary? Prometheus is flawed, but stupidity cannot be numbered among its missteps.
johnbobs1May 5, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Most people would admit that there hasn't really been a truly good movie involving the idea surrounding the early ''Alien'' films since ''Aliens''. Since then, we've suffered the sub-standard final two films of the ''quadrilogy'' and the action packed but fairly pointless (I thought) Alien vs Predator films.
Therefore I wasn't expecting big things from Prometheus. I didn't really get them either, just an enjoyable and well thought out prelude to the original Ridley Scott film of 1979.
This is Ridley Scott's first ''Alien'' related film since the brilliant, clammy and atmospheric horror of the original, and his touch is evident in many of the scenes. It's certainly the most tense and eerie film since the the original. In terms of storyline, things are extremely well planned out. The general idea behind the Alien race and its origins is equally superb and ambiguous and horrifying.
The film falls down a little in it's execution. Things get a little confusing at times (it wasn't until I read other reviews that I fully understood the complete idea behind the plot) and it takes nearly an hour to really get going. What is pleasing is that an enormous amount of visual attention to detail has been paid to the film - so much so that to fans of the original film (like myself), this does feel like a proper prequel.

In terms of the actors and their characters, it's all pretty much par for the course in terms of Alien films. Strong female lead, slightly dodgy droid, corrupt bloke, nice man who female lead falls for but dies. You get the picture. There's nothing one truly memorable about the characters, which is a pity considering that the acting is generally of a high standard.

Overall, a welcome, well thought out and generally good addition to the series that will certainly please fans. Welcome back Ridley Scott....
MovieManiac83Apr 23, 2015

If there's an obvious element missing from Prometheus, it's a strong identification with the humans, who are underdeveloped and underwritten. Most of what's interesting about the story has little to do with the protagonists. Prometheus is about solving mysteries - not only piecing together the specific series of events that lead to the "birth" of a lethal species, but also answering questions about the motivations of the "Engineers" who came to (what would eventually become known as) LV-426 and what their long range plans are. The conclusion is open-ended but doesn't feel incomplete.

homer4presidentMar 29, 2015
Prometheus is definitely the "prequel" to the Alien films in that the sets, story, and even the character names are taken directly from the trilogy. Scott must have wanted to avoid the dreaded prequel brand that seems to infuriate most fans,Prometheus is definitely the "prequel" to the Alien films in that the sets, story, and even the character names are taken directly from the trilogy. Scott must have wanted to avoid the dreaded prequel brand that seems to infuriate most fans, but this one is really good! Prometheus is what going to the movies is about: 2 hours of action, thrills, scares, and jaw dropping special effects! Expand
LoRevisorJan 29, 2015
Uma incrível jornada no espaço,com encontros assustadores,um macabro filme,com alienígenas estupidamente brutais e violentos. Ridley Scott entrega um filme com efeitos visuais brilhantes. E todos os atores são muito talentosos NoomiUma incrível jornada no espaço,com encontros assustadores,um macabro filme,com alienígenas estupidamente brutais e violentos. Ridley Scott entrega um filme com efeitos visuais brilhantes. E todos os atores são muito talentosos Noomi Rapace,Michael Fassbender,Guy Pearce,Idris Elba,Logan Marshall-Green E Charlize Theron que é uma vadia maldita neste brilhante filme. Expand
MarkT2014Dec 25, 2014
The most original Alien film since the first movie. All sequels were just copies of the first one. If you're looking for another horror action movie, then Prometheus is not for you.

Prometheus brings to the table some serious ideas. The

Prometheus brings to the table some serious ideas. The portrayal of Engineers, the ones that created the Aliens and Humans was masterfully executed. The film subtly shows how human kind can be small compared to what may be actually going on outside of our solar system. Film raises more questions than it answers, but it does it in a smart way because all the questions seem to lead to one point which probably will be the core of the upcoming sequel, called Paradise (the home of Engineers). Of course, to those who are not interested in big questions about our existence, they'll get bored fast. Prometheus presents an idea, that Human kind was in some way created by an Alien civilization for some particular reason that's still unknown. Though scientifically speaking there's no evidence nor reason to assume something like that, it's still an intriguing idea.

I give this movie 10, because it dares to be more serious than fun.
Le__XenomorphDec 19, 2014
Unlike many people, I highly enjoyed Prometheus. It has a confusing story so you can try to figure it out yourself instead of the director spoon feeding us information. Prometheus is a great movie with solid characters and stunning visuals.Unlike many people, I highly enjoyed Prometheus. It has a confusing story so you can try to figure it out yourself instead of the director spoon feeding us information. Prometheus is a great movie with solid characters and stunning visuals. Never once did I feel bored in this movie. 8/10 (great) Expand
lukechristianscNov 29, 2014
Wow i have been excited for this alien prequel directed by the director of the alien franchise Ridley Scott. I love the alien series i do its awesome but did this need a prequel? in my opinion i think alien needed a fifth sequel alien 5Wow i have been excited for this alien prequel directed by the director of the alien franchise Ridley Scott. I love the alien series i do its awesome but did this need a prequel? in my opinion i think alien needed a fifth sequel alien 5 sounds good but i enjoyed " Prometheus" it has an A list cast it , also has a good story. It may not answer are question fans question about "Alien" . I love Micheal Fassbender his performance as an Android (David) also he's better then Bischop and Ashbhe is one of my favorite character. I also love Noomi Rapace she is like the new ripley. grade A Expand
Mosh603Nov 10, 2014
I don't understand why people are so negative towards this movie. I felt like it was a great prequel to the Alien franchise and was well done. I enjoyed the themes in the movie and I am very excited to see Prometheus 2
vikesh2206Nov 9, 2014
Even if it isn't original, Prometheus has jaw dropping visuals and a surprisingly great storyline. Couple that with top notch acting and a tense atmosphere, what you will get is a great sci-fi/horror flick.
busbfranOct 17, 2014
Prometheus my raise more questions then answers, however this is the best si-fi we have had sense Alien, it delivers on all cylinders. The excellent story, script and top acting, will satisfying majority of Alien Fans. Although its not thePrometheus my raise more questions then answers, however this is the best si-fi we have had sense Alien, it delivers on all cylinders. The excellent story, script and top acting, will satisfying majority of Alien Fans. Although its not the expected action packed movie we are now use to, it provides the views with more variety and complexity. Prometheus is one of the best prequels I have personally seen, and I cannot wait for the sequel! Expand
the_real_expertOct 7, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. One of the greatest science fiction films of all time that deals with the most important themes such as our origins, how did we get here, who created us, the search for eternal life, archaeological messaging, the danger of making contact with extra-terrestrial, a future threat to our existence, the use of an alien species as weapons of mass destruction, human emotions v computer logic...and the list goes on.

I'm actually dumbfounded by the poor reviews this has received and suspect many just don't get it. Absolutely cant wait for the sequel.
beingryanjudeSep 3, 2014
Essentially out of the Alien-storybook, Prometheus is a moving discovery of life beyond Earth. There is no shortage of suspense and story--Prometheus is enthralling.
horcrux2007Sep 2, 2014
"Prometheus" is a flawed yet entertaining film. It has great acting, beautiful cinematography, and quite a bit of suspense, but the characters are pretty stupid, and some plot points have been used in previous genre efforts. The tension,"Prometheus" is a flawed yet entertaining film. It has great acting, beautiful cinematography, and quite a bit of suspense, but the characters are pretty stupid, and some plot points have been used in previous genre efforts. The tension, pacing, entertainment value, and overall look and feel of the movie mostly make up for its flaws. I recommend this to fans of the "Alien" franchise and just people who like science fiction. Expand
SpangleJul 28, 2014
Heading into this one, I heard a ton of differing opinions, but at the end of the day, I came away from this one with a positive take. The cinematography and special effects are undoubtedly the star of this film and are breathtaking to lookHeading into this one, I heard a ton of differing opinions, but at the end of the day, I came away from this one with a positive take. The cinematography and special effects are undoubtedly the star of this film and are breathtaking to look at, each shot is achingly beautiful, and the tech gadgets are very cool and the other effects very well done. In addition, Ridley Scott's direction is good, as expected. The acting from Michael Fassbender, Charlize Theron, and Idris Elba, is very good, especially Fassbender. I did not love Noomi Rapace here and was left wondering how they could not have found somebody better for the role. The main complaint I had heard about this one beforehand was the script, but I personally have no complaints and thought it was just fine. Unoriginal, sure, and heavily inspired by the sci-fi films before it without question, but I did not come here expecting an original sci-fi project, now did I. At the end of the day, I came for thrills and great special effects and that is exactly what I got with a little bonus of great cinematography and acting. Only complaint would be the added religious (or non-religious?) element. I think the story could have been approached differently without inserting religion at every turn. Prometheus is far from a great film, but I will be damned if it is not an entertaining and satisfying prequel to Alien. Expand
sammurphy66Jul 22, 2014
Prometheus is no where near as good as it should have been, but is reasonably entertaining due to the incredible special effects, and the magnetic performance delivered from Michael Fassbender.
mariotoadrabbitJul 6, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Prometheus brings the world's greatest science fiction mystery thrilling flim about a journey hunt to to the human race of life. Here are the reasons why I would support to be interested in this movie. Ok first I like say that I liked the thrilling sequences during the movie. Second is that casts In this movie are pretty cool. Some of the cast I know such as noomi rapace, Michael fassbender, and idris Elba. Third is that it has awesome sound, and visual effects sequences in this movie. About this movie, there's something I notice about this movie. I notice is that this is the event that happened before alien begins. So I would say this is that this a pretty cool science fiction film, however there were some scenes that may have frighten audiences under 12 years old. So I would recommend is that Ridley Scott made event made science fiction film for the events happened before alien. So that's the reasons I would say about Prometheus Expand
KleenexTexJun 30, 2014
Due to the hype surrounding the film prior to release, and my love of Alien and Aliens, my expectations before viewing the film were very high. Looking back, I could only ever have been disappointed. And after my initial viewing I wasDue to the hype surrounding the film prior to release, and my love of Alien and Aliens, my expectations before viewing the film were very high. Looking back, I could only ever have been disappointed. And after my initial viewing I was exactly that. However, over the last two years I've found myself watching it again and again and again. And now, with all the hype and preconceived ideas out of the way, I actually see Prometheus for what it is; a decent sci-fi action/thriller. Try to put aside your, in truth, unobtainable ideals about what an "Alien" film should be, and enjoy Prometheus in all its CGI high-def glory. Expand
Voodoo123Jun 18, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It's strange... I came away from the cinema unable to contain my upset at the way prometheus teased its plotline through scenes of horror action topped by the aliens fan in me nagging on the fact scott didn't just cast lance henrikson to reprise his role as weyland and make it all canon to the other films.
Yet on a later viewing I found myself looking past such filmic foibles able instead to enjoy the wonder of artwork going on and appreciating its pace, timing and its finer details like the wonderful creature effects (mainly the translucent engineer skin wow). Still complete sequel bait asking and answering very little about its universe (apart from the engineers revealed as malevolent weapons manufacturers rather than space zoo keepers as i'd originally hoped).
Fact is I still find myself imagining this universe all over again and that gives me naive hope for the next movie. 9/10
treebla16Jun 3, 2014
For a summer blockbuster film, "Prometheus" asks surprisingly exciting and intriguing questions about human existence. It doesn't give us any answers which is a little disappointing, but the film still rocks; I don't know anything about 2D,For a summer blockbuster film, "Prometheus" asks surprisingly exciting and intriguing questions about human existence. It doesn't give us any answers which is a little disappointing, but the film still rocks; I don't know anything about 2D, but in 3D, this film looked fabulous in its gripping atmosphere and stunning CGI. Expand
Cerberus0Apr 4, 2014
Wow this is depressing....6.5? really? Is the general populace really this stupid? This movie requires you to actually think a little. The very first scene of the movie is key. It's a 1 minute scene followed by the most gorgeous 1080p visualsWow this is depressing....6.5? really? Is the general populace really this stupid? This movie requires you to actually think a little. The very first scene of the movie is key. It's a 1 minute scene followed by the most gorgeous 1080p visuals I have ever seen on an BD. If you don't understand what that scene was about, then you obviously don't deserve to review the movie (watch the deleted scenes if you can't figure it out). I get why people are disappointed or mad about this movie. It has little to nothing to do with the actual aliens franchise. It's not trying to bridge gaps in the aliens movies. The movie is a separate entry that happens to take place in the aliens universe. The entire story revolves around a single question: How and why were we created?

Now notice that such a question has nothing to do with the 4 previous alien movies. I think this movie is a masterpiece. I don't hand out 10's to offset other people's scores. The movie deserves the 10 I give it here today. It is a visual marvel. The actors, all no name actors, just blew everyone away and made a name for themselves with this movie (the lead characters in particular did legendary jobs).
I don't know what else to say to convince you that this movie is a work of art. Everyone should give the movie a chance. If you don't understand it....you don't understand it. If you don't understand it...you might not like it. You have to think. You have to draw your own conclusions some places....the movie doesn't give you all the answers. Thus my original question: Is the general populace really this stupid?
usherd369Mar 31, 2014
Better than literalists give it, worse than the devouts give it credit for, Prometheus is not without it flaws in plot and not without it's triumphs in cinematography and strong acting from Noomi Rapace and Michael Fassbender, and due to theBetter than literalists give it, worse than the devouts give it credit for, Prometheus is not without it flaws in plot and not without it's triumphs in cinematography and strong acting from Noomi Rapace and Michael Fassbender, and due to the ending, lends promise to an adequate follow-up. Expand
adalberathFeb 8, 2014
"Prometheus" was a gripping movie experience for me. It had grim, but beautiful visuals, great use and combination of CGI and 3D, sharply directed action scenes and above everything else, a story that asks unanswered questions about human"Prometheus" was a gripping movie experience for me. It had grim, but beautiful visuals, great use and combination of CGI and 3D, sharply directed action scenes and above everything else, a story that asks unanswered questions about human existence. Sure, the ending probably didn't deserve an A+, but as a whole, "Prometheus" was still pretty awesome. Expand
Akshay7Jan 2, 2014
Science Fiction or Faith?

Science Fiction or Faith?

At the end of the movie I was a bit confused about this movie leaving unanswered questions. But after thinking about it for some time and few discussions some were answered and I am hoping rest will be answered in the potential sequel as told by director Scott. I haven't seen 'Alien' the film which 'Prometheus' is supposed to be prequel to yet, so my review is treating Prometheus independently. I am ardent science-fiction fan and the plot of based on the questions like "Did someone design humans?", "Where do we go after death?", "Why there is life?", etc. which ponder in my mind everyday generated great excitement and expectations from this film but at the end was slightly disappointed by answers. Leaving where the story ends up aside Prometheus has outstanding visuals with slick cinematography, good performance by Michael Fassbender as a robot(who plays a key role) and generates enough suspense/thrills to entertain and thus receives a positive response from me. Just don't have too high expectations then you will like this film.
eagleeyevikingDec 14, 2013
graymatter32Dec 9, 2013
Prometheus' visuals are absolutely stunning. The often mentioned plot holes in Prometheus can be explained away if you're willing to dig deep enough-and for me- certainly didn't detract from the film in anyway.
S2G047Dec 8, 2013
Not a bad movie but yes couldn't live up it's hype. Movie is slow, not the alien sci-fi with mindless action type. It even looks like some fictional Discovery show for most of the time but it's a good movie, definitely worth your money.
Leandro36Dec 5, 2013
This is a really great movie simpliy put and if you have half a brain and use it to think you won't have a problem understanding this movie at all.....
alfuzzNov 21, 2013
Great film in my opinion, the only way my opinion will change is if the follow ups don't link it properly to the original story line.
Visually stunning, well written not perfect, but nothing is and well executed in general.
I loved the
I loved the original Alien film, liked the other films too. I don't understand what people's problem with Prometheus was. Among the plot holes suggested was them sending stupid scientists personally I thought that the fact that they were hand picked by a multi-billionaire who was quite clearly as mad as a badger explained that quite nicely.
ElucidateOct 6, 2013
Despite its clear imperfections, I liked Prometheus. Visually stunning and with a great performance from Michael Fassbender, there is a certain something that sets Prometheus apart from other films of the genre. It is profound, ambitious, andDespite its clear imperfections, I liked Prometheus. Visually stunning and with a great performance from Michael Fassbender, there is a certain something that sets Prometheus apart from other films of the genre. It is profound, ambitious, and fascinating, but suffers from poor decision-making on part of the writers. Expand
RekkrSep 26, 2013
I write this perfect-scored review knowing that it probably won't mean anything amongst the massively divided sea of critical opinion but I feel I must share my truly honest opinion. I have been a hardcore Alien fan for ages, as well as aI write this perfect-scored review knowing that it probably won't mean anything amongst the massively divided sea of critical opinion but I feel I must share my truly honest opinion. I have been a hardcore Alien fan for ages, as well as a serious devotee to Ridley Scott, so needless to say I was one of the countless swept up in the hype-hurricane surrounding this films development.
I guess what sets me apart from most is that I witnessed a film that actually exceeded my pipe-dream level expectations.
I'll admit that I was skeptical if ANY film could potentially rival the utter brilliance of the 1979 masterpiece. What I was not prepared for was a film that not only did the original perfect justice but proved that it could be redefined.
moonman1994Jul 27, 2013
Prometheus was good and entertaining. Although it does not live up to Ridley Scott's earlier films it is a engaging and decent sci-fi film. It wasn't anything spectacular but this film certainly does not deserve all the negative reviews itPrometheus was good and entertaining. Although it does not live up to Ridley Scott's earlier films it is a engaging and decent sci-fi film. It wasn't anything spectacular but this film certainly does not deserve all the negative reviews it has gotten. Plain and simple it doesn't live up to the expectations of the audience but that does not outright make it a bad film. Expand
sjbn002Jul 22, 2013
Me encantan las peliculas de ciencia ficcion, ahora se relaciona con los origenes de Alien, tiene buenos efectos especiales, reparto etc...

Que no tiene sentido la historia? pues por eso se llama ciencia ficcion, no se pongan tan payasos..
survivorfan989Jul 15, 2013
A solid film and possibly one of my favourite Sci-Fi films out there. It's rather slow paced but certainly picks up when it needs to. Stand-out performance would have to be Michael Fassbender but Noomi Rapace is a strong female lead, andA solid film and possibly one of my favourite Sci-Fi films out there. It's rather slow paced but certainly picks up when it needs to. Stand-out performance would have to be Michael Fassbender but Noomi Rapace is a strong female lead, and Charlize Theron is always spot on with playing a villain role. It held my interest throughout and had an interesting storyline and concept, and peaked at the right times. Overall pretty impressive stuff and those that like the genre won't be disappointed. Expand
torshaugJun 27, 2013
A beautifully filmed movie that makes you really piece things together. If you love movies that make you re-watch to figure it out, this is one of the best of 2012.. I can't wait until the next one!
AReviewsJun 25, 2013
Prometheus is magnificent and visually stunning, wonderfully mysterious with a great but horrifying adventure, on the other hand, it is not all positively reviewed, Prometheus movie pacing is poor and boring, and the it is way too longer thanPrometheus is magnificent and visually stunning, wonderfully mysterious with a great but horrifying adventure, on the other hand, it is not all positively reviewed, Prometheus movie pacing is poor and boring, and the it is way too longer than it should have been, it is sometimes not completed and leaves with a lot of questions (open ending) which I will be passionately waiting for the sequel, although some reviews are negative, and critics are not that satisfied, but for me, Prometheus is an epic 3D adventure, 70% for the cinematic experience, but it won't be so enjoyable to watch at home, but overall, it is good. Expand
Chemical3959Jun 22, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Prometheus starts you off with a beginning similar in mystery and wonder to that of the liking toward Stanley Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey, but on a much larger scale. Throughout the film, you are to encounter an amazing usage of set design and digital effects that are far beyond many other movies seen today. The excitement peaks multiple times throughout the movie with a creepy, dark science feeling in between. Prometheus isn't just your average Sci-Fi horror flick, but an outside and adventurous journey to an alien world where mistakes ARE catastrophic. Though it is within the Alien and Aliens universe, this movie could very well stand alone as it's own masterpiece. The environment of the movie is so controlled but, yet it is free from any enchained mind, making it just as chaotic, if not more perilous than the other films. Prometheus is a keen breed of new and heavy hitting Science fiction-Adventure films that are rare to find these days, making it one of the most unique and awesome pieces of cinema to date. Expand
Sevvy88Jun 7, 2013
Definitely a cool story. It raises a lot of questions that it can't answer, and I feel that it is simply the film being honest with itself and its viewers. This seems to have angered a great many people. On the other hand, some people feltDefinitely a cool story. It raises a lot of questions that it can't answer, and I feel that it is simply the film being honest with itself and its viewers. This seems to have angered a great many people. On the other hand, some people felt the film was too "anti-sci-fi" and I can see this as a valid complaint, because I often felt this way as well. The main character injects faith into the narrative of the film, and while I can see how it would be necessary, I could have done without it. It felt generic and cliche'. It felt, honestly, a little too family friendly at that point. The film is driving home a hard hitting point, and I felt that the "faith" talk was a way of patting the audience on the head and saying "there, there, no need to fret!" I don't know, maybe that's just me. If you are looking for a hardcore prequel to Alien, then you will also be disappointed. The story is very much its own. It's a good watch, and even a good buy, but I felt it had an identity crisis at times and failed to really drive home its message with confidence. The acting is pretty superb. Fassbender and Theron knock it out of the park. I really love Charlize Theron. She is one of the few "cross over" actors who I feel really have earned their stripes, and she is hands down one of the most beautiful women alive today. Expand
dharmaJun 2, 2013
Prometheus is a film that invites a lot of discussion; a hard sci fi flick that is melded with your typical Hollywood blockbuster. Fanatical ALIEN fans will say that it fails to become a hard sci fi, like 'the never made' Rendevouz withPrometheus is a film that invites a lot of discussion; a hard sci fi flick that is melded with your typical Hollywood blockbuster. Fanatical ALIEN fans will say that it fails to become a hard sci fi, like 'the never made' Rendevouz with Rama'. They say it takes a lot of narrative 'short cuts' in the form of 'stock', predictable characters. The list of criticisms goes on and on....But to me, Prometheus has Scott's biggest strengths and weaknesses as a film maker: visually stupendous at the expense of narrative. It's a Ridley Scott film for crying out loud, in a genre he practically reinvented 30 years ago. When the dust is clear, I think people will realise what a great film this is. Not in the same caliber as ALIEN, but one of his most energetic and mind boggling film he made since GLADIATOR. But a thrill ride that will make you think; it doesn't spoon fed you with answers. Things are left vague for audiences to make their own mind. Scott has also created another 'harrowing and gut wrenching' horror set piece that is up there as the best in the last 10 years (beside the chest bursting scene in ALIEN). So folks....buckle up and just enjoy the ride. Oh yeah, it also uses 3-D in a great way... Expand
savagejoe444May 28, 2013
This a great prequel to the Alien franchise! Sure hope that Ridley Scott's sequel to this is any better and we finally get to see our favorite killing machines!
aus741ausApr 26, 2013
Honestly I loved this movie so I'll just say what I liked and mention my one core, and petty criticism.

The story, good. A decent explantion of where the alien ship came from while still acting as a good stand alone story in the Alien universe.
Enjoyable and believable characters that are well acted with David, a robot who sees his creator as a father and pretends to be human in the opening, being the best of the pick.
Legitimate tension to keep you invested and good action, a great return to sci-fi for Ridley Scott.

What I didn't like was the soundtrack, it feels al over the place. Some songs sound like they're from 2001 A Space Odyssey, while others sound like thy're from Alien andThe Terminator. Plus there's this underlying feeling that the story would've been better if it went with the original script. Which wasa straight up Alien prequel.

All in all a good movie that expands on the Alien universe in a unique way.
NGeoApr 20, 2013
I really feel that this may have flaws but i wont accept people getting a ZERO 0 for this film so i ll get it a 10/10 although it may have some flaws etc the basic concept, back round and fantasy behind this movie is outstanding.
mbeckfordApr 7, 2013
Ridley Scott had a bar that was set very high for this semi-prequel to
Alien. Scott does not disappoint. The result was a sweeping epic with
fantastic visuals and an unexpected homage to the sci-fi genre. For the discerning eye, there
Ridley Scott had a bar that was set very high for this semi-prequel to
Alien. Scott does not disappoint. The result was a sweeping epic with
fantastic visuals and an unexpected homage to the sci-fi genre.

For the discerning eye, there were scenes that were reminiscent of Star
Wars, Star Trek, 2001 A Space Odyssey, Aliens, X-Files, The Thing,
and probably a few more I didn't catch. The very first scene was
surprising and thought provoking, and the last scene was the closest
connection to Alien the movie presented, beyond the iconic images
already shown in the previews.

A very long but never boring adventure, it showcased the great acting
talents of Noomi Rapace of the original Swedish "Dragon Tattoo" trilogy
and Michael Fassbender, the best android of the Alien films. Charlene
Theron continues to amaze as the best "ice queen" in movies today.

The film isn't perfect. It stretches the bounds of believability in
several areas. Why do two of the "scientists" freak out when seeing an
"alien" corpse but have no problem confronting the live "thing" that
would make most of us run for cover?

Noomi Rapace has a scene that shows she can portray pain-in-action as
good as Bruce Willis in Die Hard, but then has action sequences that
suspend disbelief more than Willis running on tattered feet.

You don't get the slow-paced, dread and suspense of the original Alien
or Blade Runner. This has way more action, gore and crowd-pleasing
scenes. But it is nonetheless a film that will become a most-see films
for genre fans.
TheCritic1Mar 26, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I went into this movie without expecting much but I was truly surprised by how entertaining it was. Personally, I thought it was alright when nothing bad was happening but when everything started to go wrong and people started dying, it started to get entertaining! When they finally met one of the "Engineers", that scene was unexpected. Michael Fassbender was brilliant as David and the final chest-burster scene was a great start off to the Alien franchise. Go watch Prometheus if you know what's good for you! Expand
BrianMcCriticMar 16, 2013
I understand this maybe the most love/hate movie of 2012, mark me down as love. From the first scenes visuals to the thought provoking story, this is a worthy predecessor to the Alien franchise.
WayneThomas412Mar 11, 2013
A Masterpiece. This film is breathtaking. If you were lucky enough to catch it in 3D like I did then you know this is how 3D films should be shot. It wasn't forced, it was just right.
AnBeagleachtFeb 18, 2013
I think a lot of people didn't get this. If you are a fan of the Alien franchise then you may feel a little indifferent. I am a fan but I was ready for the ambiguity of an origin story and for my part, was not expecting to see xenomorphs allI think a lot of people didn't get this. If you are a fan of the Alien franchise then you may feel a little indifferent. I am a fan but I was ready for the ambiguity of an origin story and for my part, was not expecting to see xenomorphs all over the place. This movie felt right for me and certainly is set up well for a sequel. No matter what Ridley says, it is certainly a prequel of an Alien prequel in my view. So many questions, very few answers..........I'm looking forward to a follow-up though. That's where the real links should come together nicely.........hopefully. Very good movie though. Expand
sanyrubFeb 3, 2013
Best sci-fi film in years. People accusing the film of having plot holes...sorry no. Plot holes are some of those things The Dark Knight Rises is full with (as much as I love that film too). There are not any here. There are some absurdBest sci-fi film in years. People accusing the film of having plot holes...sorry no. Plot holes are some of those things The Dark Knight Rises is full with (as much as I love that film too). There are not any here. There are some absurd actions coming from the characters if you want. But it ends there. Of course people who don´t like to think won´t like this. The 2 hours feel shorter, the idea of the film (humanity origin) is magnificent and so interesting and disturbing. The tension is present throughout the film. Some scenes are memorable. David´s character is so great and the actor does such a great job. And one last thing which helps to make you feel the experience: the special effects are Mind-blowing. One of 2012´s bests if not the best. The oscar nomination in that category is well-deserved. Big production with a brain. Great stuff Expand
ILHMJan 31, 2013
A band of renegade scientists are joined by members of the Weyland Corporation to explore an uncharted planet that may hold the key to our creation, but the biological remains left behind by the world's previous inhabitants will pose a deadlyA band of renegade scientists are joined by members of the Weyland Corporation to explore an uncharted planet that may hold the key to our creation, but the biological remains left behind by the world's previous inhabitants will pose a deadly threat that may instead mark the end of existence! Ridley Scott returns to the Science Fiction genre in a major way with PROMETHEUS, a spiritual prequel to the 1979 classic ALIEN. PROMETHEUS falls very closely in line with the look, feel, and overall mood of the original ALIEN, following a similar structure that includes many familiar characters and settings. Where the two diverge is in their actual storytelling techniques. ALIEN tells a simple yet effective story that comes to a conclusive end after the rising tension found in the first and second acts. The unavoidable plot holes that frequent PROMETHEUS raise more questions than answers every step along the way, leaving the audience to question the writers intentions more so than the grandiose theological discussions that are being proposed. If one thing is for certain, however, it is that Ridley Scott has lost none of his command over this visual medium, creating a mind-blowing display of visual effects that take us well into the next century and beyond the farthest reaches of space. With the suspension of disbelief held high, PROMETHEUS can surely be enjoyed as an epic space adventure in search of far greater meaning amongst the stars. Expand
TheQuietGamerJan 31, 2013
I'm just going to come out and say it, the main reason I watched this movie is because I heard rumors that it was a prequel to the Alien movies. That being said I was impressed to find out that it no only manages to be a kind of sort ofI'm just going to come out and say it, the main reason I watched this movie is because I heard rumors that it was a prequel to the Alien movies. That being said I was impressed to find out that it no only manages to be a kind of sort of prequel, but also it's own unique movie with it's own themes and setting. It ties in well with the universe Ridley Scott established with his movie Alien. It's good and if your a fan of sci-fi movies you should really check this one out. I would love to see a sequel to Prometheus that expands upon what this movies plot. I also have to say that the scene that ties this movie into the Alien series is a great way to not only Ridley Scott to say thanks and pay fan service to the Alien series followers, but to also a great way to tie both movies into the same universe. Expand
TheGeographer52Jan 25, 2013
A terrifying and surprising prequel to the hit movie Alien. Could gone faster but for the most part intense.
citroenpersJan 19, 2013
Firstly, I divided this movie in two parts and secondly, I didn't watch any other Alien-movie. As criticized al lot; there are a lot of questions left. The big question 'What's life purpose?' isn't answered, but that will may be answered inFirstly, I divided this movie in two parts and secondly, I didn't watch any other Alien-movie. As criticized al lot; there are a lot of questions left. The big question 'What's life purpose?' isn't answered, but that will may be answered in Prometheus 2. But there are also a lot of questions about the movie itself left. What are the octopus/snake-things? What happened to the infected people? (like what would be the exact diagnose, because everyone got other symptoms). What did the 'alien' do in the first 5 minutes? Furthermore Prometheus' crew made a lot of stupid decisions. (you could 'remove' this argument with: 'The owner of the ship was just a simple billionair who wanted some intelligent people'). Like some were first scared of the dead corpses, and later they even tried to have contact with an unknown snake. (There are more of those examples, but I will save you that). Beside this critic I believe this is a real art piece. The CGI is awesome and the atmosphere just sucks you into the movie. Right from the start you're just in Alien's world and you won't escape 'till the end. In short; it's just an awesome movie, which I'd recommend to every Sci-Fi- and maybe even every movie-fan. Expand
Bughyman1000Jan 19, 2013
I want to start off by saying that if you've set your expectations (like I did) on seeing Aliens or at least some Alien "goodness", you will be very disappointed. However, watching it a second time, I tried to be more objective; to see it asI want to start off by saying that if you've set your expectations (like I did) on seeing Aliens or at least some Alien "goodness", you will be very disappointed. However, watching it a second time, I tried to be more objective; to see it as a separate title, not as a "Alien' prequel. Without going very deep (because I would ruin the whole experience) I find this movie -- interesting. It's far from great, it's far from what older Sci-Fi movies have done, not to mention it's way below the bar which the Alien series has set long ago. The plot has some problems and, the characters are rather undeveloped and some of them feel out of place (they're not relevant, given the nature of their task) and the story has a very slow pace. On the other hand, the visuals are amazing and the cinematography - spectacular, all the while the 3D implementation is somewhat pointless. I gave it a 7 because I respect Ridley's effort and although I've been disappointed with it overall, I admit it has strong aspects. Let's face it, the movie industry is on a downward slope for some years now, and it doesn't seem to get any better when even the most respected directors disappoint. Expand
WiesyJan 18, 2013
I like this movie a lot. Its the new version of Alien. I don't see Alien so i don't know how he is or Alien is better, I like the story and I like the cast, especially Michael Fassbender.
David_HJan 10, 2013
One of the best of the year. I was a fan of the Aliens series and this shares a common background but takes things in a very new direction. special effects and scenery were excellent. Characters were all well cast and Noomi Rapace isOne of the best of the year. I was a fan of the Aliens series and this shares a common background but takes things in a very new direction. special effects and scenery were excellent. Characters were all well cast and Noomi Rapace is absolutely phenomenal as the tough girl who has to survive some ridiculous events. Expand
RendCycleJan 6, 2013
I've watched the 3D version of Prometheus in an Imax Theatre and then again on Blu-ray. I was also able to partly watch "The Making" of this movie. This is a film with so much potential. Most will agree that the special effects are justI've watched the 3D version of Prometheus in an Imax Theatre and then again on Blu-ray. I was also able to partly watch "The Making" of this movie. This is a film with so much potential. Most will agree that the special effects are just awesome. The premise of the story is excellent but I strongly think it needs a lot more polishing. Ridley Scott and the team, should've taken the time to consult more with real scientists that are experts from varied branches of technology that are involved in the story to help decide how the story reasonably progresses and to add to the realism of it all.

People today are much more knowledgeable with technology and sciences compared to when the first Alien film was released. With this, a majority of audiences (especially sci-fi buffs) are more questioning and analytical. That I think is the reason why creating a science fiction film is more difficult compared to a fantasy film like Lord of The Rings. In fantasy movies, you can do mostly anything and audiences won't question you much. Just blame everything on magic! For sci-fi films, it has to be somewhat still rooted to reality and must answer questions as logically and realistically possible.

I like the TV series "Ancient Aliens" and "Through The Wormhole". So I can say I also like "Prometheus" for what it is. I just hope the director and the writer took more effort to flesh out everything and that means even the little things such as how scientists think and act in a possibly real world given the scenarios they faced in the film. All in all, I am satisfied with Prometheus and wishing for a much better sequel.
DeaconRookeDec 31, 2012
I have not yet seen alien but if it was like Prometheus it would have been pretty good. But i myself enjoy sci if movies. If you don't like sci-fi than I suggest you don't watch this. But, however this movie is a great movie if you like sciI have not yet seen alien but if it was like Prometheus it would have been pretty good. But i myself enjoy sci if movies. If you don't like sci-fi than I suggest you don't watch this. But, however this movie is a great movie if you like sci fi movies. Prometheus follows the story of explorers and scientists who travel to a distant planet to find out where they come from. But the question is asked. Can they trust Dr Shaw's and Dr Halloways Engineers(names two of the scientist's give who they believe are there creators). This movie contains a good cast containing Charlize Theron, Michael Fassbender, Naomi Rapice, Guy Pearce, Idris Elba and Logan Marshel-green. This movie however is a bit boring for in parts and relies heavily on aliens killing people, but i guess thats just the sci-fi genre. So over all a great movie for people who love the Sci-fi genre. Expand
WriteFilmLive21Dec 26, 2012
"Prometheus" proves that, over 30 years after "Alien", Ridley Scott hasn't lost his touch for engaging and dramatic science fiction. In the year 2093, an exploratory vessel named "Prometheus" escorts a group of scientists to an uncharted moon"Prometheus" proves that, over 30 years after "Alien", Ridley Scott hasn't lost his touch for engaging and dramatic science fiction. In the year 2093, an exploratory vessel named "Prometheus" escorts a group of scientists to an uncharted moon where they hope to discover the origins of humanity - only to find something much darker and more gruesome awaiting them. Perhaps the most interesting thing about this film is that it stands on its own as a science fiction movie just as well as a prequel to "Alien" - it weaves a complex and intriguing plot tracing the evolution and ultimate birth of the iconic extraterrestrial, while also confronting questions about creation that, in the end, are still left not fully answered. And although it doesn't carry the haunting atmosphere of "Alien", scenes such as Shaw's grisly surgery lend it its own grand, dark identity. The special effects are just gorgeous, the acting is good, and there is nothing major that stands out worth criticism. Overall, a very solid sci-fi flick. Expand
MDawgDec 17, 2012
Ridley Scott has re-entered the alien universe with a set of stunning visuals and creative story lines which link beautifully with the events of the Nostromo mission in 'Alien'. The opening scene of vivid waterfalls and plush landscapes setRidley Scott has re-entered the alien universe with a set of stunning visuals and creative story lines which link beautifully with the events of the Nostromo mission in 'Alien'. The opening scene of vivid waterfalls and plush landscapes set the visual tone for the rest of the movie taking it down a darker route as it progresses. Although at times there were slightly unnecessary scenes or some unbelievable turn of events it more than makes up for it in the acting (Michael Fassbender as David could be the performance of his career to date) and momentum. It took a while to really get going but when it did, some gruesome graphics were thrusted into the face of the viewer making it impossible to look away. 'Alien' fans will enjoy this movie. 'Aliens' fans might not. Expand
Wes4LesDec 7, 2012
I cannot recall another film, recently or in the past, that I've watched and felt such utter contempt for, afterwards. "Prometheus" was a stunningly bad film to have to sit through. Inexplicably confusing from the very beginning, and then itI cannot recall another film, recently or in the past, that I've watched and felt such utter contempt for, afterwards. "Prometheus" was a stunningly bad film to have to sit through. Inexplicably confusing from the very beginning, and then it immediately proceeds to become lackluster, boring, and more and more implausible. The relentless stupidity of the witless script and cardboard characters that pervades this film as it ponderously moves forward to it's half-baked "conclusion" (which is only a lead-in to more of this rubbish) is laughably noticable, but you'll feel like crying in frustration when this mess is finally over.

Terrible film, simply appalling in every aspect. The characters? Fassbender's performance is drawing raves, but he's acted in better productions, and been far more magnetic than his chilly, repellant "David" character. Rapace is unappealing, Theron plays a wooden ice-block, the rest of the cast is forgettable, expendable, un-engaging. The story? A cross btw. "Mission to Mars," von Daniken's "Chariot of the Gods," and an "Alien" sequel directed by Uwe Boll. The visuals? The natural scenery was nice to look at, but the sets and effects were un-inspiring. ineffectual, unecessary to the plot, or downright silly. Often the camera barely focused on anything for more than a few seconds, as if to say "Oh, it's a giant, stupid looking head. Moving on folks, if you'll look off the starboard bow..." And for $130,000,000 what did people expect, "Dogville?" (This chalk-line represents the alien ship, this one a Xenomorph, etc.) Not a film for discerning movie-goers, of any genre. Anyone who thoroughly enjoyed "Moon," "Sunshine," Soderbergh's "Solaris," or even "Galaxy Quest" I believe will be stunned by how poorly executed and just plain bone-headed this film is to watch. I give this film a "10 out of 100" here only for the beautiful Icelandic scenery, and folks, that truly is all that's worth seeing here. The only questions anyone should be asking themselves after sitting through this is, "How could I have been mis-led into believing this was going to be an interesting film (in the very least) when all it is, is a shlocky, lavishly expensive, Saturday afternoon Grade-B action flick w/ fuzzy science and fuzz-brained leaps of logic?" I know I feel like a sucker for having watched this even once. Shame, Mr. Scott. Shame, Mr.'s Spaihts and Lindelof. SHAME ON YOU ALL!
Compi24Nov 28, 2012
Although it leaves more puzzles unanswered than it does solved, "Prometheus" remains in my opinion a visually mystifying film with an equally spellbinding story.
Trev29Nov 24, 2012
It could have amounted to much more, but it delivered. It leaves you with the same questions you had going into the movie, so nothing really gets resolved. As a movie itself, it was interesting, scary at times, and quite exquisitely shot. TheIt could have amounted to much more, but it delivered. It leaves you with the same questions you had going into the movie, so nothing really gets resolved. As a movie itself, it was interesting, scary at times, and quite exquisitely shot. The director seemed to accomplish the atmosphere he intended to have. Expand
drSpockwaNov 23, 2012
I liked this movie a lot. I was initially a bit shy mainly because of the lower rating on this site, but bought it on amazon instant video on sale, and watched it. It was very well made, acting was spot on, beautiful visuals and effects,I liked this movie a lot. I was initially a bit shy mainly because of the lower rating on this site, but bought it on amazon instant video on sale, and watched it. It was very well made, acting was spot on, beautiful visuals and effects, and the plot was excellently written. I got a bit nervous part way through that the movie was going to leave me hanging, but it did a great job giving answers. They left it open for a sequel, which I hear is coming in 2014. It would likely be a bit more challenging to follow if you weren't familiar with the Alien movie and it's sibling movies, but being that I am, and find that universe interesting, this movie was an intriguing addition. The makers seem to have gone out of their way to separate themselves from Alien but there was definitely a strong connection. It wasn't a direct prequel, but certainly in the same universe. Nice job Ridley Scott. I look forward to the sequel. Expand
A_NorthernerNov 11, 2012
Why did I watch it?
Being a big fan of the Alien franchise I was excited about seeing this film as soon as I heard it was being developed.
What's it all about? Prometheus sees director Ridley Scott return to the universe of his sci-if
Why did I watch it?

What's it all about?
Prometheus sees director Ridley Scott return to the universe of his sci-if phenomenon Alien in the form of a loose prequel. A team of scientists searching for the beginning of human life follow directions they believe are from their creators and funded by the Weyland Corp. head to a far away unknown planet. Here they find clues not only to the origins of human life but the origins of a familiar foe.

Should you watch it?
Prometheus is full of familiar characteristics from the Alien franchise, androids, stasis, mysterious eggs and corrosive blood. Although unoriginal, these facets are not unwelcome and made me feel right back at home within the Alien world.
The script deals with questions of creationism and occasions is a little pretentious and self-serving but this sets it apart from being a straight-up sci-fi horror. Speaking of questions, the script also leaves plenty unanswered at the end, either intentionally (and hopefully) for a sequel or through failings in the writing. I expected no less with one of the brains behind Lost involved in the writing. The acting is great, Michael Fassbender gives a dead pan cold performance as he android David and others including Idris Elba, Noomi Rapace and Charlize Theron deliver as well.

Didn't they learn anything from Alien?
I have seen plenty of negative reviews for Prometheus and I disagree with the majority, although admittedly the unanswered questions are a bug I seem to bare more than others. I really enjoyed the film, lets just be happy we are seeing more of Ridley Scott's Alien mythology.
lboy62Nov 9, 2012
absolutely amazing and a must see film. effects are amazing and the set design is gorgeous! just remember that AVP (alien vs predator) is NONE canon.
ZilcellNov 4, 2012
Its exactly what you expected. Nuff said.
Javike7Oct 30, 2012
It's a good movie that caters to the sci-fi horror genre, I was somewhat disappointed in some of the kill, because they were so similar to other movies that they turned out predictable. Just because of that I gave it a seven. The story wasIt's a good movie that caters to the sci-fi horror genre, I was somewhat disappointed in some of the kill, because they were so similar to other movies that they turned out predictable. Just because of that I gave it a seven. The story was cool as well as the special effects. I wish they would have been a little more innovating in the horror scenes... Expand
hiphop101Oct 27, 2012
There are a couple of reviews underneath that give this film a score of zero?They must have watched a diffrent film to me.If you want an excellant action/suspense film that with another 2 more films(IMO)that will tie it up nicley too theThere are a couple of reviews underneath that give this film a score of zero?They must have watched a diffrent film to me.If you want an excellant action/suspense film that with another 2 more films(IMO)that will tie it up nicley too the original Alien film if the sequals live up to this installment then you can't go wrong with this intelligent Sc-fi blockbuster! Expand
GuitboxgeekOct 26, 2012
This movie requires suspension of disbelief, and an open mind. If you watch Prometheus with the right mind set, you're in for a treat. If you're expecting an outright Alien sequel, you'll probably be disappointed. The script isn't the bestThis movie requires suspension of disbelief, and an open mind. If you watch Prometheus with the right mind set, you're in for a treat. If you're expecting an outright Alien sequel, you'll probably be disappointed. The script isn't the best and there are plot holes galore. Some of the holes are there on purpose and some are just odd missteps. No matter, this is a Ridley Scott feast for the eyes and sci-fi cinema fan. I enjoyed the movie on a second viewing even more than the first thanks to the wealth of deep analyses and thought provoking insights found all over the web. View Prometheus with a very open mind and you'll most likely be rewarded with an excellent sc-fi flick! Expand
RedAFXOct 26, 2012
Michael Fassbender gives a great performance as the ship android amidst all of the confusion this film evokes, avid Alien fans will be disenchanted by franchise incontinuity and the lack of H.R. Giger design work.
jvidnerOct 26, 2012
I've never been this mind-trolled ever. I started thinking of my origin, the origin of the human race and I just wanted it to be a true story. Fassbender delivers (in my opinion) an award winning performance as David, a cyborg/android being.
DanOSullivanOct 24, 2012
Prometheus is a bit wobbly and rushed at times (mainly the end) but the acting, direction and effects make up for it. The script is also a bit dodgy at times, as it's very un-technical for a sc-fi epic film.
WarriorFightOct 16, 2012
Filled with beautiful cinematography, beautiful physical affects, and an eerie performance by one of the better actors in the last few years, Michael Fassbender. I did really enjoy this film, as it left many of the questions, like "why wereFilled with beautiful cinematography, beautiful physical affects, and an eerie performance by one of the better actors in the last few years, Michael Fassbender. I did really enjoy this film, as it left many of the questions, like "why were we created", unanswered, so that the people viewing it can find their own answer. I admire Ridley Scott as a filmmaker, and, even though Alien was catagorically a better film, I feel that Prometheus is the first decent ray of light the Alien franchise has seen since Aliens in the mid 80's. I believe it is one of the better films that came out this year, and with several good performances, largely Fassbender and Idris Elba, make this film definitely a worth-while viewing. This film ought to win an Oscar for simply Cinematography, and if I had my way, Michael Fassbender would have two oscars by now, one for shame, and one for this. His portrayal of the android David was so good, it's a shame it wasn't a better movie, if Sigourney didn't win for Aliens, he won't for this. Overall, a decent movie, although I'd recommend you see the Master, Argo and Moonrise Kingdom before this Sci-Fi adventure. Expand
KimomarudotcomOct 15, 2012
Lots of "0" scores here, pretty sure that folks are being honest about how they feel about this movie, so I'll leave it at that. I couldn't disagree more with them. Prometheus takes place in the "Alien" universe and tries to add substanceLots of "0" scores here, pretty sure that folks are being honest about how they feel about this movie, so I'll leave it at that. I couldn't disagree more with them. Prometheus takes place in the "Alien" universe and tries to add substance to it and kind of answer hanging questions from the original Alien that have been around for a few decades. An amazing looking movie with an engaging plot that will appeal, I think, to movie goers who appreciate a little more sophistication to a plot. Are you an adult who enjoys Kevin Smith movies? Or are you into Harry Potter, Twilight, Hunger Games, or any young-adult-book-turned-into-a-movie franchise? If so, this movie probably won't be your sort of thing. The themes are different and require a different mindset. Everyone else; you must see it. An amazing ending that reminds me a bit of the end to The Empire Strikes, I can't wait to see what happens in the sequel. An achievement of the genre. If I could rate it higher, I would Expand
AbeSolumOct 13, 2012
Solid movie. Lots of twists, a few really great moments. Does what i wanted which was show me a bunch of cool stuff from other worlds. I love the kind of exposure that you're given to Scott's nightmarish make-believe. If you are looking for aSolid movie. Lots of twists, a few really great moments. Does what i wanted which was show me a bunch of cool stuff from other worlds. I love the kind of exposure that you're given to Scott's nightmarish make-believe. If you are looking for a good sci-fi movie, this is the best I've seen in a while. Really enjoyed the slower pacing, let me take it all in. Worth your time definitely, but do not expect action. Expect to be impressed and repulsed sometimes at the same time. I don't care about Aliens though i respect them as what they are. This was a great prologue, I hope there is a second movie. Expand
markOct 13, 2012
A prequel to The Alien movie. But I'd never recommend anyone see this one first. It would completely ruin the surprise of seeing the little rubber muppet bursting out of Quinten Crisp's tee shirt.